Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #401
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
C-A-A! C-A-A! C-A-A!

Great day to be a CAA fan! First GMU, and now VCU absolutely rolls Georgetown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #402
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

VCU looked like a well-oiled machine. Very methodical, very controlled, and, yeah, being lights out from 3-point land helps

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #403
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shaka Smart should get some calls from schools looking to poach a coach.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #404
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hard to say with him- these aren't really even his guys. Most of them are from Anthony Grant's classes and he's down in Alabama now

SI

Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #405
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Sigh....WA/UNC at 915am pacific on Sunday. Time slot of death for west coast teams.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #406
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Hard to say with him- these aren't really even his guys. Most of them are from Anthony Grant's classes and he's down in Alabama now

SI

I know. Just figuring that some school is going to want him. Whether he'll go or wait is anyone's guess and I guess it depends on the institution, but when those ACC or Big East schools strike out on the big fish they want and won't get, they'll start targeting these mid-major guys with seven figures and a dream.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #407
RainMaker
General Manager

So for the first time in 13 years, I attended the NCAA Tournament. Was at the United Center and spent over 12 hours there.

- None of the games were close. Kind of a bummer but still was entertaining. We were able to follow the other games on our phone and head out to the concourse when something was coming to the end. Got to see the end of all the exciting games and it drew a crowd and made it fun.

- For as shitty as the NCAA can be, there was one thing they do that is really cool and unseen in any major sport. There is no advertising anywhere. Nothing on the court, nothing on the sides, nothing on the scoreboard. Even the cups they use at the concession stand is advertisement free. It's just the teams and the games. They even took down the championship banners and retired jerseys that hang.

- I love college bands. Maybe I'm easily amused but they really entertain me and add a sweet atmosphere to the sport. The timeout entertainment in the NBA can be fun, but nothing beats some cheerleaders and a band.

- Speaking of cheerleaders. Florida State. Wow. Was 10 rows from them and since I'll be there on Sunday, I rooted so hard for FSU to win. Their outfits were not traditional. Just a sports bra and ridiculously short spandex shorts. No matter what happens Sunday, they are the true winners of this bracket.

- The TV timeouts really suck. There is a shitload of downtime in person. Not sure if I want to do it again unless there are a lot of teams in a bracket I want to see. If you ever go to a day of these, bring a smartphone with games, book, or iPad with so you have something to do.

- No booze served in the arena. At first it was a bit of a bummer, but it makes the crowd much more tolerable. No drunken idiots or guys getting up to piss every 30 seconds. I sort of dig it. Then again, maybe college fans are better to sit near (even though you guys are really fucking weird).

- I've been veering more toward the pro game over the past few years and I think today was an example why. While the aspect of the tournament makes them interesting, the college game is pretty shitty. Not sure if it's lack of talent or the rules, but it's ugly basketball. Would love to see them add a halo under the rim like the NBA does. Defensive 3 seconds may also help open up the floor a bit.

- One thing I love is that players don't bitch and whine after every single play. I hate that part of the pro game and love how college players just move on. It really changes your perception of the game when you aren't wondering what the player is bitching about every 30 seconds.

- As expected, strong turnout from Purdue and Notre Dame since they are local and have a lot of alumni in Chicago. Surprisingly, VCU had a pretty awesome contingent of fans that were really loud in their section. Akron and FSU represented well. St. Peters and Georgetown not so much.

Looking forward to Sunday and hoping to have some closer games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The boys looked good tonight.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #409
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Great day to be a CAA fan! First GMU, and now VCU absolutely rolls Georgetown!
I mentioned in my previous post that the VCU fans were really vocal and they had a strong following. Impressed by that considering they didn't know if they'd even be here 2 days ago. Love their chants and cheers too.

That team is legit too. The PG handles the ball well and they can shoot. They got beat up on the glass a little but that's expected against a bigger team. Their defense gave Georgetown fits all night and I would not be surprised if they beat Purdue on Sunday.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #410
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Please let the guy with the #1 bracket so far be right...

ESPN - Tournament Challenge - man0war71 3
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #411
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I mentioned in my previous post that the VCU fans were really vocal and they had a strong following. Impressed by that considering they didn't know if they'd even be here 2 days ago. Love their chants and cheers too.

That team is legit too. The PG handles the ball well and they can shoot. They got beat up on the glass a little but that's expected against a bigger team. Their defense gave Georgetown fits all night and I would not be surprised if they beat Purdue on Sunday.

Yeah - and their band was entertaining too - right? VCU has a great fan following (and team) that I am very jealous of.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #412
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Sigh....WA/UNC at 915am pacific on Sunday. Time slot of death for west coast teams.

Thats ok, the game is in Seattle, wait no. No its not. Oh, its in Charlotte. Thats in North Carolina I believe.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #413
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post

I was pretty fired up when I saw this, as if we hadn't already been bent over enough.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #414
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Shaka Smart should get some calls from schools looking to poach a coach.

DC looks like you called it...... Although that buy out looks pretty steep if it was just going to be him paying it.....

Quote:
It's only been two years since Shaka Smart took over the head coaching duties for VCU and in that time span, Smart has been able to continue the momentum set during the coaching tenure of Anthony Grant. As SI's Luke Winn points out, even though George Mason is in the 2011 NCAA Tournament, VCU may be this year's 'George Mason' (in reference to Mason' 2006 run). What has VCU's two wins done for the profile of Smart?

Though he hasn't been heavily mentioned for many of the east-coast coaching openings, that could change by the end of the tournament. In fact, his name is very hot in some circles; ESPN's Dana O'Neil tweeted midway through the shake-down of Georgetown that Smart, in essence, could stand in line to make some serious money this offseason. Brian Mull of the Wilmington Daily Star could see Smart as a good candidate for the Georgia Tech opening.

Right now, the NC State and Georgia Tech opening are the two positions we are hearing the most chatter for Smart. It will be interesting to follow these developments; if money does play a role in whether Smart changes sidelines, NC State will have the upper hand since some have said AD Debbie Yow might be willing to spend as much as $3 million while it appears that Georgia Tech will be willing to spend much less. Also, Mull makes a very keen observation: if Smart does leave VCU after this season (prior to April 30), he will owe the university $300,000 (although, in the two tournament victories, Smart has received an additional $41,200).

- Matt Giles
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #415
wade moore
lolzcat

I have to wonder if the struggles of his predecessors, Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel, will play into this at all.

I know the VCU fans feared this would happen from the day Smart stepped on campus. They've become a great stepping stone university - which is good an dbad I guess.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow, Gonzaga is -1.5 against BYU
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #417
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have to wonder if the struggles of his predecessors, Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel, will play into this at all.

I know the VCU fans feared this would happen from the day Smart stepped on campus. They've become a great stepping stone university - which is good an dbad I guess.

I feel bad for those kids. They never get any kind of consistency due to their coach always moving up.

I don't look at Capel as being bad at all and Grant IMHO has held his own so I would hope nobody is judging those 2 on struggles because I honestly don't think they have been bad at all.

I understand and everyone can rationalize the Capel firing, but his record was still pretty impressive in my book

Last edited by muns : 03-19-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #418
whomario
Pro Starter

with the way both teams played recently that kind of makes sense, i wouldnīt bet against Gonzaga really. That team is one of the best bottom-half (in terms of seeds) in a while.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #419
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the officiating in the last 30 seconds of this half has been a total joke
Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #420
whomario
Pro Starter

Mazulla with a great game, tough kid

WVU needs to give Kilicli more touches, draws a double everytime to open up others

Last edited by whomario : 03-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #421
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- two BS fouls in a row. Gotta get Kentucky advanced, I guess

SI

Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #422
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. I made two brackets, one for the "Sports-Instant Take" site quickish, and a general one.

My Quickish one is 27-5, the regular one 28-4.. Unfortunately, in the quickish bracket, "Barack Obama's Picks" (copied in by the site owner, Dan Shanoff, formerly of ESPN.COM) are 29-3 :P

But still, it's good to be in the top 1% of the nation so far.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #423
timmynausea
College Starter

Not really disappointed as a WVU fan. Huggins did a great job this year without much talent. I'll miss Mazzulla and Flowers, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #424
hoopsguy
General Manager

mazzula has struck me as a 40 year old guy at the Y playing with college kids, in terms of his game. He just knows how to play, knows what he can/can't do, and will take advantage of more athletic but less cerebral players off the ball.

I'm sure guys that have seen more of WVU can offer a more full picture of the guy, but he has struck me as a pretty unique college player at this level ... just don't see many guys like this at Top 20 caliber teams.

Also, I'm glad he has finally used up his 17 years of eligibility
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #425
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
mazzula has struck me as a 40 year old guy at the Y playing with college kids, in terms of his game. He just knows how to play, knows what he can/can't do, and will take advantage of more athletic but less cerebral players off the ball.

I'm sure guys that have seen more of WVU can offer a more full picture of the guy, but he has struck me as a pretty unique college player at this level ... just don't see many guys like this at Top 20 caliber teams.

Also, I'm glad he has finally used up his 17 years of eligibility

He actually was a state champion sprinter and player of the year twice in high school in Rhode Island. I think he appears less athletic because he had a pretty catastrophic shoulder injury 2 years ago. Last year he was basically playing one handed and the injury was to his dominant hand, so he even shot free throws with his off hand. He never developed as a shooter. I was wondering today how good he might've been without the shoulder problem causing the huge impediment to his development.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #426
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Mazzulla will be a head coach within 10-15 years. Mazzulla, West, and Thoroughman are/were all 5th year guys, who were recruited by Beilein, and it will be sad to see them no longer with the program. Mazzulla and Thoroughman were both devastated by injuries (Mazzulla with his shoulder as mentioned above and Thoroughman was an athletic swingman when he came in, who had surgery on both his knees and evolved into a physical, power guy), but stuck with it and played a lot of good ball, in big games, over the past two years. All three will earn Master's degrees, which is nice too.

It will be strange to see the Mountaineers next year. All of those guys seem like they had been around forever and now we will have as many as 8 new guys (if Huggins decides to use all of the available grants) on the team next season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #427
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I need UCLA to win. C'mon baby!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #428
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Not much defense being played this game. Seems like either team can get in the lane whenever they want.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #429
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think UCLA will be able to re-take the lead. Too many easy basket's being missed and Josh Smith is getting murdered downlow
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #430
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well that sucked...poor Malcolm Lee

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-19-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good win Florida, you earned the spot in the S16
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #432
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If I could have bet against 2 SEC schools making the Sweet 16, I would have. But they've been the first 2 to move on so good on them

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #433
whomario
Pro Starter

this morehead-richmond game is , um, not really interesting or fun to watch ... letīs just say that iīm pretty happy thereīs finally another game going on as of now

Last edited by whomario : 03-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #434
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah - and their band was entertaining too - right? VCU has a great fan following (and team) that I am very jealous of.
Their band was great. Favorite part was Georgetown's band played Sweet Caroline and they sung the whole thing loud enough that the whole stadium could hear it.

Florida State played the Bed Intruder song which I hope someone else in the crowd recognized besides me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #435
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
this morehead-richmond game is , um, not really interesting or fun to watch ... letīs just say that iīm pretty happy thereīs finally another game going on as of now

I loved it a thousand times over.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #436
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, looks like this Butler/Pitt game has a chance to be interesting - Butler is killing it from long range and is now up 28-18. I know a few brackets out there that have Pitt as the champ, so I would imagine there are some people fretting about this outcome.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #437
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if these announcers actually understand basketball or if they just look at random stats and think it paints the entire picture.

"Pittsburgh is not a gifted offensive basketball team"

2011 scouting report for Pittsburgh

They are currently 6th in the nation in adjusted offensive efficiency rating.

17th in 3P%, 69th in 2p%.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2011 at 06:52 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #438
muns
Pro Starter

Butler will never shoot like this again in their lives...... Pitt always seems to run into this every year in the tourney..... Really pissing me off
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #439
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well hello Temple.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #440
hoopsguy
General Manager

Temple/SDSU tied with under a minute to play.

I haven't watched a ton of this game, but the bit I did witness was really sloppy. San Diego State has been up pretty much the entire second half, but never able to push the margin up to a really comfortable margin.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #441
hoopsguy
General Manager

Temple/SDSU tied with under a minute to play (in OT now).
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #442
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Is it me, or does neither team in Temple/SDSU have a coherent offense, they hold the ball or pass it outside meaninglessly till 5-10 on shotclock and then force up a jumper?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #443
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, there was a real contrast between that Tem/SDSU game and the Butler/Pitt one that was commanding my attention earlier.

Maybe this was SDSU getting through their "nerves" game early, prior to getting a couple of near home games, but this small sample set didn't exactly scream Final Four quality to me.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #444
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well SDSU, I was wrong about your team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #445
muns
Pro Starter

Lets get even more whistle happy in the pitt/butler game cause thats nice

granted I'm biased but its still annoying

Last edited by muns : 03-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #446
whomario
Pro Starter

BYU is playing great right now, Fredette getting plenty of help even. Still hit a couple truly amazing shots, when that guy elevates from full speed like he just did on that 3 thatīs a really pretty sight

Gonzaga not defending well and on offense not getting much from their guards who make some really bad decicions. They have a brutal size advantage, need to go inside even more and spread the floor much better.

Last edited by whomario : 03-19-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #447
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Is it me, or does neither team in Temple/SDSU have a coherent offense, they hold the ball or pass it outside meaninglessly till 5-10 on shotclock and then force up a jumper?

Yeah, seemed a lot like that. SDSU has the athletes and skill, it seems- but they don't have much planning.

SI

Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #448
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Man, if BYU manages to the get to the Sweet 16 without Davies, maybe they really were a Final Four team with him...guess we'll never know.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, Pitt- you're going to have to realize you're not in the Big East any more. They do actually call fouls from time to time in the rest of the country. They look shocked any time a whistle is blown.

SI

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #450
hoopsguy
General Manager

It feels like Butler has really had to take a lot of long/tough shots, but they are shooting 55% and have turned this into an 8 minute game.