Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #401
kingfc22
Head Coach

How much longer is fat Eddy going to have a job in this league. He's simply awful
Old 01-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #402
digamma
Torchbearer

My five year old cried for ten minutes after that game. Is it wrong that part of me is proud of that? Welcome to sports.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #403
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Packers must not realize they are playing the Redskins. They are calling plays like they are playing Seattle. Just win the matchups and you will be fine.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #404
rowech
Pro Starter

Mike Zimmer -- once the Bengal stink is on you, you can never get it off.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #405
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Mike Zimmer -- once the Bengal stink is on you, you can never get it off.

Will this apply to Jay Gruden?
Let's wait and see.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #406
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The fans can boo all they want, the ref just saved them a timeout on a bad challenge. That wasn't a fumble no matter how you look at it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #407
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That loss was not Zimmer's fault.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #408
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big Ben has Separated Shoulder, but still may play next week:

Ben Roethlisberger Will Try to Beat Denver After Suffering a Separated Shoulder | Complex
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #409
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That probably should've been a flag for hitting out of bounds
Old 01-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #410
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
That loss was not Zimmer's fault.

It's not fault -- it's about having horrible luck and/or losing in ridiculous ways.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #411
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not fault -- it's about having horrible luck and/or losing in ridiculous ways.

True, but this isn't some mystic confluence of events. What we've been seeing this weekend is a massive amount of experience from the wild card QBs and teams vs the divion winners.

AJ McC - 0 playoff starts, 4 starts overall
Kirk Cousins - 0 playoff, first full season as a starter (now with 25 under his belt)
Teddy Bridgewater - 0 playoffs, 2nd season as a starter
Brian Hoyer - 0 playoffs, journeyman QB with 26 starts, and a lot of dry spells

I mean comparing them to Alex Smith, Ben Roth, Aaron Rogers and Russell Wilson is laughable. Those guys have a ton of experience, playoff victories, and have 4 Super Bowl wins, and all have at least made it to the big dance.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #413
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nothing like facing the NFC East to fix your offensive woes.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #414
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lacy is so bad at finding running lanes. I think everyone thinks he sucks because he's fat (which he is and always has been) but he still is decently fast for a big guy. He just runs into piles of guys even if there is a gaping hole somewhere else. His vision sucks.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #416
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Why not kick the field goal? Regardless they needed 2 TD and a FG in any order with 2 onside recoveries in the middle. Take the first score and try to get the onside recovery to keep your chances alive for a little longer.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #417
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has there been a wild card week where every wild card team won (before this year)?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #418
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope this Green Bay team stays in Washington, and the version that the Cardinals played a couple weeks ago shows up instead.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #419
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I hope this Green Bay team stays in Washington, and the version that the Cardinals played a couple weeks ago shows up instead.

Haha! The NFC East is like Alabama squaring off against Northern Iowa. The warts will show back up when they face the real teams again

Most suprising was I cant recall the Packers running the ball that well in a very long time.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-10-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #420
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Has there been a wild card week where every wild card team won (before this year)?

nope.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #421
PilotMan
Head Coach

That ending of the Vikings game was awful. Just awful. I think, no I know, I'd rather they were blown off the field than to have lost that way.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #422
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That ending of the Vikings game was awful. Just awful. I think, no I know, I'd rather they were blown off the field than to have lost that way.

That was a brutal loss but it's still better, at least for me, than a blowout would have been. Much easier looking forward than it would have been if we got outclassed by Seattle a second time.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #423
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
In the final 2 games (Minny and AZ), McCarthy didn't change the gameplan to account for being without the team's left tackle and #1 CB. Yesterday, after the first quarter, he started using the TE to help block and kept Kuhn in on more 3rd downs (much better blocker than Starks). On D, the schemes were a little more creative to protect our CBs (esp once Rollins also got hurt). Still, it's a little crazy when you are excited to see your backup center at LT because of how poorly the other tackles have played (esp in AZ where both the starting LT and RT were out - along with our center).

Even if Bhaktiari, Adams and Shields aren't healthy, this team is still healthier and playing better than the one who came to AZ last month. The Cards are a tough matchup, but hopefully GB can build on the Washington win. I was surprised to read that Palmer hasn't won a playoff game in his career (0-2) and hasn't played in the postseason since 2009.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #424
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
In the final 2 games (Minny and AZ), McCarthy didn't change the gameplan to account for being without the team's left tackle and #1 CB. Yesterday, after the first quarter, he started using the TE to help block and kept Kuhn in on more 3rd downs (much better blocker than Starks). On D, the schemes were a little more creative to protect our CBs (esp once Rollins also got hurt). Still, it's a little crazy when you are excited to see your backup center at LT because of how poorly the other tackles have played (esp in AZ where both the starting LT and RT were out - along with our center).

Even if Bhaktiari, Adams and Shields aren't healthy, this team is still healthier and playing better than the one who came to AZ last month. The Cards are a tough matchup, but hopefully GB can build on the Washington win. I was surprised to read that Palmer hasn't won a playoff game in his career (0-2) and hasn't played in the postseason since 2009.

Well part of that is the "cincy curse" and then the Raiders. Last year of course he was injured so would have been in the playoffs then. Just worried the team will come out flat, like with SEA last week. If they score on their first drive or at least move the ball down the field, I expect them to do well.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #425
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The guy who scares me the most is David Johnson. He murdered us last game.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #426
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The guy who scares me the most is David Johnson. He murdered us last game.

The Cardinals with a running game? Imagine that. He might not even start if they make it to the Super Bowl. Chris Johnson has returned to practice and is eligible to come off the IR then.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #427
Thomkal
Head Coach

Burfict suspended three games

Vontaze Burfict suspended three games by NFL - NFL.com
Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #429
bhlloy
Coordinator

Still wasn't a penalty though. My uncles friend who knows a guy who used to be a referee said so.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #430
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Dola: I also like that Jones is holding tight to his claim that Brown acted and took a dive. Giving oneself a concussion is serious commitment to the act.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #431
rowech
Pro Starter

I don't understand going from fines to three games. That's a massive jump to me and I'm guessing Burfict gets it down to either one or two games with appeal.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #432
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Marvin Lewis is the one that let him get this way he has been out of control for four years. (Well the very limited play he saw last year I guess three). Lewis should get a college like institutional control suspension. (And I am a bengals fan). Would also hand one out to Mike Tomlin but for some reason people seem to only take issue with Cincinnati in that ridiculous game. Shazier celebrating on the sideline after knocking out Bernard is Burfict level class.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #433
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
I don't understand going from fines to three games. That's a massive jump to me and I'm guessing Burfict gets it down to either one or two games with appeal.

Yeah, where's the precedent of people being suspended three games for helmet to helmet hits? All he'd have to show an arbitrator is the other two fairly vicious head hits from the same game, one of which included clear targeting using the crown of the helmet and was rewarded rather than punished. The league office really needs to get its act together.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #434
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Yeah, where's the precedent of people being suspended three games for helmet to helmet hits? All he'd have to show an arbitrator is the other two fairly vicious head hits from the same game, one of which included clear targeting using the crown of the helmet and was rewarded rather than punished. The league office really needs to get its act together.

I believe the releases stated he was suspended for being a repeat offender of safety issues this year, not just this game. Said he was fined 4 other times this year and the leader of personal fouls.

I am sure it will be reduced though after appeal.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #435
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Marvin Lewis is the one that let him get this way he has been out of control for four years. (Well the very limited play he saw last year I guess three). Lewis should get a college like institutional control suspension. (And I am a bengals fan). Would also hand one out to Mike Tomlin but for some reason people seem to only take issue with Cincinnati in that ridiculous game. Shazier celebrating on the sideline after knocking out Bernard is Burfict level class.

It's not just that. It's two coaches being actively involved, one getting a penalty and another that SHOULD have had a penalty. How many cheap shots were there with Palmer, Huber, Rivers, and countless others? I just don't understand why that franchise seems immune to such things.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #436
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
It's not just that. It's two coaches being actively involved, one getting a penalty and another that SHOULD have had a penalty. How many cheap shots were there with Palmer, Huber, Rivers, and countless others? I just don't understand why that franchise seems immune to such things.

James Harrison was suspended for violent hit after being a repeat offender....suspensions seem to come with a history of these actions, not just one time events.

Just not really understanding where everyone thinks Pittsburgh gets all these special treatments...in the game they almost got double the penalty yards.

I do think porter was wrong and shouldn't have been on field and deserved a penalty.

But how about after the shazier hit? Lot of Bengal players came off the bench to confront steeler players, including hill....shouldn't they get a penalty too?

After burfict intercepted and ran through the tunnel, shouldn't he have gotten a penalty?

Lot of inconsistencies by nfl, not just in favor of Pitt.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #437
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
James Harrison was suspended for violent hit after being a repeat offender....suspensions seem to come with a history of these actions, not just one time events.

Just not really understanding where everyone thinks Pittsburgh gets all these special treatments...in the game they almost got double the penalty yards.

I do think porter was wrong and shouldn't have been on field and deserved a penalty.

But how about after the shazier hit? Lot of Bengal players came off the bench to confront steeler players, including hill....shouldn't they get a penalty too?

After burfict intercepted and ran through the tunnel, shouldn't he have gotten a penalty?

Lot of inconsistencies by nfl, not just in favor of Pitt.

Burfict definitely should have received a delay of game penalty. Not sure I buy Hill getting a penalty for what he did. Ultimately, you've got guys dancing around and taunting while a guy lies on the ground motionless. Probably should have been a penalty for that behavior in addition to Hill's.

I know the NFL has supposedly told officials to stop doing the offsetting penalties but if they're going to do that, they have to make sure to get the first player and not the second.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #438
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Burfict definitely should have received a delay of game penalty. Not sure I buy Hill getting a penalty for what he did. Ultimately, you've got guys dancing around and taunting while a guy lies on the ground motionless. Probably should have been a penalty for that behavior in addition to Hill's.

I know the NFL has supposedly told officials to stop doing the offsetting penalties but if they're going to do that, they have to make sure to get the first player and not the second.

Pittsburgh got a 15 yard penalty for celebrating a touchdown that didn't even count...think running out of the stadium deserved at least the same.

I think any player or coach that comes on to the field deserve the penalty regardless of situation, otherwise becomes too subjective.

My main point is that not one team is singled out more than another...may seem that way when your team gets a bad call, but it all evens out. Officiating is just not consistent at all.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #439
Thomkal
Head Coach

Everybody's getting on the Cardinals bandwagon:

Arizona Cardinals emerge as Super Bowl 50 favorites in Las Vegas
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #440
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I think that's why it was 3 games. They know now from the "Deflategate" and other rulings that the suspensions will be fought by the Players Union and appealed, and the players union will win. This way both sides will "win". Burfict will get suspended for 1 game and the Players Union can say they defended him. I think the NFL is pretty scared of arbiters these days.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #441
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Everybody's getting on the Cardinals bandwagon:

Arizona Cardinals emerge as Super Bowl 50 favorites in Las Vegas

COUNTERPOINT

After Wild-Card Weekend, There Is No Super Bowl Favorite | FiveThirtyEight

Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #442
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Boo!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #443
PilotMan
Head Coach

Totally stole this from reddit.

Bad weekend.

Like Steam?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #444
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Totally stole this from reddit.

Bad weekend.

Totally photoshopped btw

Old 01-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #445
Thomkal
Head Coach

Guess what-that incredible catch by Martavis Bryant-the behind the legs TD...shouldn't have been a TD.

Dean Blandino Comments on Martavis Bryant's TD Catch vs. Bengals | Bleacher Report
Old 01-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #446
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Guess what-that incredible catch by Martavis Bryant-the behind the legs TD...shouldn't have been a TD.

Dean Blandino Comments on Martavis Bryant's TD Catch vs. Bengals | Bleacher Report

Here's the part that I think is BS. They say it wasn't a catch and then go onto say that there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it because of the call on the field. Isnt' that exacly what they've done here? That entire game is at a level that might be worse than the second super bowl loss as a Bengals fan which is saying something as I firmly believe that had Krumrie not been injured the Bengals would have won fairly easily. That said, at least the 49ers beat them. This one is just ridiculous on so many levels.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #447
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Although.....the same person said shazier's hit on Bernard was legal and on that play the refs prevented the steelers from returning the fumble for a touchdown because they didn't see the fumble and blew it dead.

So seems like things evened themselves out between those plays....

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 01-16-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #448
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If they outlaw those gloves it would be one step closer to helping "define a catch" as then we would be back to just seeing natural ability.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #449
PilotMan
Head Coach

The way the NFL defines "a catch" hundreds of catches from before instant replay would never have been allowed. It's gotten so that the game is played to the replay rather than being played and using the replay as a tool. The idea that a catch isn't a catch has gotten insanely detailed. Anyone should have been able to look at that and say it was a catch. Had control, two feet, maintained possession, catch. That's how simple it used to be anyway.

Like Steam?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #450
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

I guess it was incidental. It sure looked like Shazier intentionally lowered his head and led with the Crown.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote