Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #4451
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - 9/10: Just wonderfully done! Splitting it into two parts allows the story to be told properly and the rising tension of the first half of the book to shine through. In just one movie, it wouldn't be able to do it justice. Also Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson have turned into just wonderful actors. Just a pleasure to watch!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #4452
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Jedi I was caught off guard as well by the start of Predators. I hit rewind to see if the disk skipped forward or something. It was definitely an interesting movie that kept my attention and had some cool parts throughout.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #4453
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Jedi I was caught off guard as well by the start of Predators. I hit rewind to see if the disk skipped forward or something. It was definitely an interesting movie that kept my attention and had some cool parts throughout.

Haha, I almost rewound as well. Plus, I don't even think there was opening credits or if there were, they were very minimal which added to my confusion. All I know is, I'd hate to wake up like that.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #4454
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting to see all the "love" for the new Harry Potter movie. I saw it Sunday on IMAX; I didn't hate it (or even really dislike it), but I didn't really "like" it, either. I kept checking my watch to see how much longer there was to go, and walked out feeling pretty "meh" on it all.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting over the entire Harry Potter thing. I was pretty disgusted with the movie adaptation of book 6, and also pretty disgusted that they made 7 in two parts (and kept in too much of the mopey emo crap that proliferated in the book, almost as if it were written by Stephanie Meyer).

In the spirit of the old college "C's get degrees," I'm giving it a 7/10.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #4455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kind of amusingly (on that post), I thought Half Blood Prince was done very well and made up for Order of the Phoenix being kind of a mess.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #4456
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Kind of amusingly (on that post), I thought Half Blood Prince was done very well and made up for Order of the Phoenix being kind of a mess.

Interesting. While I agree OotP was kind of a mess, I strongly preferred it to HBP's adaptation. My biggest beef with HBP, though, was where they changed the story needlessly. It's one thing to omit or change things to make them work better. It's another when they do it just to do it, and they did that a lot in HBP.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I guess I'm just surprised, all in all, at how ambivalent I am towards DH part 1. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I have all the books and have read them multiple multiple times. I have them all in audio format, too, and listen to them to help me relax. I can quote Harry Potter, somewhat frighteningly, and get the strangest looks for it. And I assure you, you wouldn't want to challenge me in Harry Potter Scene It. But this one...man, just didn't do it for me.

/tk
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #4457
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 1 - 9/10

This was unlike any Harry Potter I have ever seen. I have come to loathe the previous 3 movies and did not have much expectations for DH1, thinking it would be another Yates/Kloves botch job. I was wrong, very much an adult film with real acting from the trio (finally) and as usual, superb supporting casts.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #4458
MrBug708
Head Coach

Secretariat - 8.5/10 - I thought this was a well done movie. My girlfriend cried in it, though I'm not exactly sure why. I think that for the Belmont race, they should have done a video of the actual race, I think it would have captured the feel of the race better. Worth watching IMO. (But I like nearly every movie I see so tifwiw)
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #4459
fpres
High School JV

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - 9/10 -- I was really impressed with this one. The acting was solid and the pace seemed about just right. Initially, I was skeptical when I heard that DH was being split into two movies, but I suppose trying to squeeze everything in to a single two-and-a-half hour film would likely have led to a hack job...maybe fitting all of the main plot points in but not doing a very good job in doing so.

I'm a big fan of the books and I've probably seen each of the prior HP movies a dozen times apiece, but at this "early" juncture I would put DH Part 1 in my Top 3 films of the series. I will be watching this one again in a few days since family will be in town and dragging me to see it.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #4460
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am a huge fan of the HP series and am really looking forward to DH. We are going to see it as soon as we can procure a baby sitter.

My opinion of it being split in two is this. The same people who bitch that they are doing it as a money grab are the ones who would bitch that they left stuff out if it was only one movie. Some people you just will never please.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #4461
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Looking For Eric - 8/10

A British postman reaches probably his lowest point. The story is his attempt to climb out of this hole with the help of his idol, Eric Cantona (famous footballer). Went into the movie with no expectations and walked away pleasantly surprised. I recommend this.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #4462
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tangled - 9/10:: A very well retelling of a Disney princess story. It's a princess story because in this version Rapunzel is the only child to the king and queen and is stolen for her magical hair, which can heal people or make them young (which is why the old woman kidnapped her). And the man who finds her is the cliche dashing thief figure with a heart of gold, though he has very witty dialog. The story is done very well (Rapunzel who has never seen the world, actually seeing it for the first time, also with her being the lost princess) and the animation is incredible.

A Lion in Winter - 8/10: Peter O'Toole as Henry II and Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitaine are just incredible in the story of Henry's last days and his attempts to name his heir (since the oldest son died). Some hilarious one liners delivered in the midst of some incredible performances. Also in the film are a young Anthony Hopkins as Richard the Lionheart and Timothy Dalton as Philip, King of France. Amazingly acted and a classic well worth watching (though it is loooong).
Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #4463
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sherlock - 8.5/10 (so far)

This really isn't a movie, as it is a TV show, but I am not sure where else to put this, so here it is. Sherlock is a British TV series. The first "season" was three 1.5 hour shows. A second season is in the works.

As you can probably tell from the title, it's a Sherlock Holmes series, but it's been updated to take place in the modern day. Watson is an Afghanistan war vet/army doctor and is played by Martin Freeman of "The Office", "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and soon-to-be "Hobbit" fame.

The show is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes Sherlock Holmes stories. It's hard not to compare it to Guy Ritchie's latest film version and it compares very, very well. Watson and Holmes are perfect. Great chemistry. The modern day aspect of it doesn't detract from the show at all. It's incorporated brilliantly.

It was aired on PBS last month and might be again. Look for it.

I added "so far", because I've only watched 2 of the 3 episodes.

Edit: Just saw that this is available on Netflix for those interested.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 12-12-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #4464
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Sherlock - 8.5/10 (so far)

This really isn't a movie, as it is a TV show, but I am not sure where else to put this, so here it is. Sherlock is a British TV series. The first "season" was three 1.5 hour shows. A second season is in the works.

As you can probably tell from the title, it's a Sherlock Holmes series, but it's been updated to take place in the modern day. Watson is an Afghanistan war vet/army doctor and is played by Martin Freeman of "The Office", "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and soon-to-be "Hobbit" fame.

The show is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes Sherlock Holmes stories. It's hard not to compare it to Guy Ritchie's latest film version and it compares very, very well. Watson and Holmes are perfect. Great chemistry. The modern day aspect of it doesn't detract from the show at all. It's incorporated brilliantly.

It was aired on PBS last month and might be again. Look for it.

I added "so far", because I've only watched 2 of the 3 episodes.

Really liked this as I watched it last month on PBS. The third one brought in Moriarty and was much darker than the other two.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #4465
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is this from Masterpiece Mystery? I've been DVRing those and need to get around to watching them. Still catching up on Inspector Lewis, tho. And I missed the new Murder on the Orient Express from earlier this year while moving *sigh*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #4466
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Is this from Masterpiece Mystery? I've been DVRing those and need to get around to watching them. Still catching up on Inspector Lewis, tho. And I missed the new Murder on the Orient Express from earlier this year while moving *sigh*

SI

Yes, it is.

I have the last one still on DVR. Will probably watch it with Lady H_B tonight.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #4467
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Exit Through The Gift Shop (2010): A guy sets out to make a documentary about street art and as the say...the best form of flattery is imitation. Fantastic film.

En Kärlekshistoria (A Swedish Love Story) (1970): Swedish filmmaker Robert Andersson's first film, made shortly after he graduated university. It's a love story of two teens (literally, kids) against the backdrop of political turmoil and class conflict amongst families. Not a ton of dialogue, but stunning imagery and a true throwback to a different era.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #4468
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 10/10: Holy crap this was an amazing movie!! For anyone who really likes late 80s video games or arcade games, you will adore this flick. The gist is Scott Pilgrim has to defeat the 7 Ex's of the woman he's interested in before he can have her. It is presented in the format of an old video game with 7 bosses, each one having a point total when he beats them. The story is well done, clever, and absolutely hilarious! Cera does a fantastic job as Scott Pilgrim, mixing his trademark awkward kid with kick ass arcade game hero. The rest of the cast is completely incredible in their roles. The movie is very stylistically done and there are tons of little things that you could probably keep finding the 5th time you've watched the film.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 9/10 - Just read Isiddiqui's review. I agree with everything he said.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #4469
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Restrepo: Holy shit. A movie that needed to be made.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4470
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Restrepo: Holy shit. A movie that needed to be made.

Agreed. I mentioned it in the Netflix streaming thread. Just great.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #4471
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What's it about? A friend of mine texted me to go see it a few months ago, but I had to work, so couldn't go. I had never heard of it at that point, and still don't know much now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #4472
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

If you have Netflix, go check it out tonight if you can.

It is a 90-minute documentary set in the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan. At the 15-man outpost, Restrepo. There were two cameraman. They were there the entire fifteen months. Restrepo is(was?) considered of the more dangerous spots the US Military is stationed. There is no real bias. This isn't about the Afganistan War. This is about a group of young man in an extremely high octane environment and how it makes them feel. There's no interviews with men that weren't there. Just the soldiers. Just about how they feel, or felt.

Sebastian Junger was one of the filmmakers. He recently published his book on the Korengal Valley called WAR. I highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: WAR (9780446556248): Sebastian Junger: Books

While it is not mentioned in the documentary, this is the same place and time the recent Medal of Honor recipient was.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 12-19-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #4473
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

been watching a lot of movies. thought i'd share:

black swan 8/10
creepy. graded on a curve due to the fact it only cost 12 mil to make. much fondling of natalie portman's crotch. so high marks for that. a little unsatisfying. very, very similar to the wrestler.

scott pilgrim vs. the world 6/10
i desperately wanted to love it. and it has it's moments. but was a little too a.d.d. for me. and that's saying something.

you don't know jack 7/10
hbo flick about jack kevorkian. all star cast. important subject matter. i just don't like movies that beat you over the head with their morality. you either agreed with the filmmaker or you're an asshole.

inception 9/10
late to the party i know. graded on a curve for being a summer blockbuster that isn't a comic book or a remake.

rewatched

enter the void 5/10
gaspar noe... you have to be high to watch this. there's no way around it. ham fisted with the foreshadowing. visuals/effects are amazing.

un prophet (a prophet) 10/10
french film about an arab in a french prison. probably as close to a perfect movie for my tastes as there is. i tell people it's like pulp fiction meets the sixth sense. i highly recommend it.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #4474
korme
Go Reds

A SERIOUS MAN - 2009
It seriously ended like that????????

6/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #4476
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
A SERIOUS MAN - 2009
It seriously ended like that????????

6/10

book of job, yo
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #4477
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Flipped (2010): Super cute movie.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #4478
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

True Grit - 10/10

I absolutely loved it. It was a true western with all the best todays technology has to offer. Each scene was beautifully shot. The performances were exceptional. The best I have ever seen from Jeff Bridges, and maybe one of my favorite characters ever. Hailee Steinfeld should be looking at a nomination as well, maybe even a win (although I've been hearing a lot about Portman in Black Swan) The script was just phenomenal. Just great dialogue. It had it all.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 12-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #4482
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

True Grit: Give Hailee Steinfeld her Oscar now. A western for even the non-fan of the genre. Extremely well acted, perhaps a hair too long. But well done, well shot and scripted.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-28-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #4483
QuikSand
lolzcat

Went to see Black Swan, and came away disturbed (expected) and disappointed (not expected). Very well acted overall, and DA "did his thing," but I felt like it was too tough a sell for some reason. I might be unfairly contrasting it with Requiem for a Dream (and even ∏), which I thought delivered the human side as the right entree to the darker decline just about perfectly (and did it ever get dark). Here, I felt like I really couldn't connect with the human side of the main character -- she was flawed at the outset of our relationship with her, and while we gain some insight into why, I never really "felt" it.

So, I didn't dislike the movie... I couldn't honestly give it a numeric rating lower than the random stinker release, as that would be disingenuous. But with DA, and with such production and performances in the mix, I felt like I wanted it to work better than it did (for me).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #4484
Logan
Head Coach

The Town - 7/10.

A movie I was really looking forward to and finally got around to seeing it this weekend. I thought it was solid, where my roommates who I watched it with thought it was really good. Not exactly sure why I wasn't too impressed, because this type of movie/cast/location/visual style/etc is right in my wheelhouse and I expected to come out loving it but it fell short for me. I think some reasons were too much emphasis on the relationship angle, not enough exploration into the crime element (The Florist, his father, etc) and just not enough drama/build up in that final robbery scene.

Even if it wasn't the best, Affleck did a nice job again directing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #4485
Swaggs
Coordinator

True Grit - 9/10
I really enjoyed this one and it surprisingly had a number of laugh out loud moments. Jeff Bridges was excellent, as was the young lady who played Mattie. To me, Matt Damon stole the show with his straight humor in nearly every scene and I had forgot that it was Matt Damon playing the role after the first scene or two with him. Brolin and Barry Pepper were also really good with limited screen time.

I thought it was an excellent film and would not be surprised to see a few Academy Award nominations come from it. I nicked a point off of it because I felt that, after such an enjoyable journey to get there, the end felt a little rushed.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #4486
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Toy Story 3 - 8/10

Not bad for a sequel, especially for the third installment in this series. Some of the lines were cheesy and predictable, and the ending was of course predictable, but it was a good flick overall, and my kids love it of course.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #4487
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
True Grit - 9/10
I really enjoyed this one and it surprisingly had a number of laugh out loud moments. Jeff Bridges was excellent, as was the young lady who played Mattie. To me, Matt Damon stole the show with his straight humor in nearly every scene and I had forgot that it was Matt Damon playing the role after the first scene or two with him. Brolin and Barry Pepper were also really good with limited screen time.

I thought it was an excellent film and would not be surprised to see a few Academy Award nominations come from it. I nicked a point off of it because I felt that, after such an enjoyable journey to get there, the end felt a little rushed.

The other night me and my friend got a chuckle when we realized that...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #4488
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

Exit Through the Gift Shop. Fun documentary on Thierry Guetta as he goes from a guy obsessed with filming everything to getting into the world of graffiti and eventually meeting the infamous Banksy.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #4489
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

Fun documentary on Thierry Guetta as he goes from a guy obsessed with filming everything to getting into the world of graffiti and eventually meeting the infamous Banksy.

Exit Through The Gift Shop was fantastic. I second this recommendation.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #4490
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The King's Speech 7.5/10

As far as period pieces go, it was good. A bit slow to warm up and if you don't know the story going into it, you'll take a few minutes to really understand why it's relevant...but Colin Firth puts in a quality performance and the rest of the cast do a good job too.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #4491
Suicane75
Coordinator

I really liked True Grit but there were scenes in the film that seemed very out of place to me. And I did not like the ending much. Not the very ending but the
Spoiler
It felt shoe horned.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #4492
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Cavalcade 6.5/10
Made it a goal to see the rest of the best pic winners Ihaven't seen so far. First up was 1933's Cavalcade. This is not bad but it isn't great either. Basically it follows a well to do family through early 20th century Britain.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #4493
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I finally got around to seeing Despicable Me. I bought it from amazon last week in anticipation of being able to watch it while recovering from my surgery. Super cute. 9/10.

/tk
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #4494
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I really liked True Grit but there were scenes in the film that seemed very out of place to me. And I did not like the ending much. Not the very ending but the
Spoiler
It felt shoe horned.

Agreed.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #4495
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I finally got around to seeing Despicable Me. I bought it from amazon last week in anticipation of being able to watch it while recovering from my surgery. Super cute. 9/10.

/tk

Great movie. Good jokes for all.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #4496
MrBug708
Head Coach

The King's Speech 9.5/10

Great movie. Colin Firth deserves some best actor pub for his role here, he makes you cringe every time he went to talk. It certainly is a departure from his more traditional romantic comedies. Geoffry Rush was quite good too, I kept trying to find Barbossa or Javert in his role but couldn't.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #4497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Great movie. Good jokes for all.

I feel a little guilty about it, but the "dart gun" joke just really tickles my funny bone.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #4498
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Season of the Witch -37 / 10

Yes, that would be a negative 37. This coming from someone that watches almost any kind of movie and very seldom rates anything below 2 stars. As example, I even found the Dungeon Siege movie that most people trashed halfway enjoyable.

More details behind the spoiler..

Spoiler

Anyways, my wife and I both agree that this is possibly the worst movie that either of us have ever seen. And this is coming from me, someone who actually enjoyed Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #4499
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yes, that would be a negative 37.

I think you may have increased my enthusiasm for this movie.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #4500
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Finally saw The Godfather. Now part two is waiting for me after I send part one back to Netflix.