Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #4752
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Daniel Bryan just can't catch a break.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #4753
RainMaker
General Manager

Crowd relentlessly boos the last 90 minutes of the Royal Rumble PPV. Pretty embarrassing night for WWE.

Wyatt/Bryan was an incredible match though.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-26-2014 at 09:46 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #4754
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, sounds like the Pittsburgh crowd was the performer of the night.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #4755
RainMaker
General Manager

Cena/Orton wasn't even a bad match that they booed and mocked. Just think the 500th time you see it it gets old.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #4756
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cena/Orton wasn't even a bad match that they booed and mocked. Just think the 500th time you see it it gets old.

Yeah, the trending hashtag was #rematch

I think it was Tommy Dreamer who said something about how he figured that meant something other than what the WWE would interpret it as
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #4757
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

What a bummer of an ending. WWE seems to not mind losing money as long as they show the audience they're right. Ugh.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #4758
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Wow that crowd just shit all over the end of the Rumble. You'd think they'd have the balls to call an audible. Now they're stuck with that old stiff in the ME of Wrestlemania - what a disaster.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #4759
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Evolution member 1: Champion
Evolution member 2: RR winner
Evolution member 3: featured commentator
DX member 1: also on commentary
DX member 2 & 3: tag champs
Nash: surprise entrant

What did X-Pac do to piss off HHH? I also wonder if they're already editing in the cheers for when they show Batista's win on RAW, or if it'll all be still shots.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #4760
Mota
College Benchwarmer

They try so hard to push their favorites who aren't over. Booking done by morons who would rather prove us wrong than give us what we want.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #4761
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Also I hope the plan is for Batista as a heel from here on in since no one will be cheering for him.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #4762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Foley ripped creative a new one for tonight
MICK FOLEY GOES DEEPER INTO HIS DISGUST OVER THE ROYAL RUMBLE | PWInsider.com
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #4763
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Believe it or not, Daniel Bryan made the BBC.

BBC - Newsbeat - Royal Rumble: Daniel Bryan blames WWE for exclusion
Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #4764
PilotMan
Head Coach

Maybe it's all part of a bigger "war between the people and the WWE?" You know in much the same way that heels bait the crowd and the way you hated Andy Kaufman for insulting you, the WWE is insulting the crowd, and building the attention to an us v. them level.

There is a certain amount of a skinner box at play here. You are conditioned to get the response you seek, but your behavior will be reinforced to an even greater level if your rewards are only intermittent, once you are initially conditioned. It's the primary reason that gambling does what it does, and why slot machines are so popular.

You can't tell me that in all the infinite wisdom of the WWE that they aren't thinking this somewhere. We are just monkeys in a box and the WWE is just meriting out our rewards.

Here if they piss off enough people they actually draw some national coverage. Where they have to draw the line though is stopping all rewards and forcing another behavior change that would ultimately hurt them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #4765
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

WWE will have to call an audible, right? Those boos were XPac heat.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #4766
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I havent been paying attention lately but it sounds to me as if WWE is working one heck of an storyline with Bryan coming out as the champion at Wrestlemania. Or maybe I am giving them too much credit.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-27-2014 at 12:15 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #4767
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It might be a story today, but I believe that the WWE did not view him as a top guy even though he was putting the match of the night every show, and was getting the biggest pops.

Based on the things we've seen in the last couple of weeks, it might be a different story today.

But ... how much of this is being done just to placate the fans? The "push" he got this past fall was horrible. It was like they were trying to damage him only the fans refused to let it happen. Are they actually going to push him here, or just another token effort to say they tried, while they actually wanted him to fail the entire time because he's not actually "their guy"?

He is the classic example of the talented guy who is forced to fight and scrape for his spot, while the guy with the big muscles is essentially put into the same spot automatically and it is his to lose.

These are the same guys that watched Tough Enough and thought that Big Andy was the best guy in the bunch and that Austin Aries didn't even deserve to get on the show at all. And they're the same guys that watched NXT Season 1 and thought that Ryback was the standout guy that deserved a monster push. I just don't trust their opinion. But the worst thing is that they keep making the same mistakes over and over again and not learning from it.

Thankfully they are a monopoly and are able to stay alive despite their mistakes. If it was 1998 all over again and they were doing this, they would be in big trouble.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #4768
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Thankfully they are a monopoly and are able to stay alive despite their mistakes. If it was 1998 all over again and they were doing this, they would be in big trouble.

Why should we be thankful for that? Being a virtual monopoly means they have zero incentive to improve their product.

I'll stand by my belief that BOTH companies were better off during the late 90's when they were creatively pushing each other.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #4769
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think the focus being entirely on Daniel Bryan misses the point. Roman Reigns was unbelievable last night, just like he has been for at least the last few months, and if he had won a large majority of the fans would have been cheering and going crazy. Instead it went to someone less athletic, less charismatic, and much less in-shape who wasn't even that popular when he was on the show 5+ years ago. But, he has a movie coming out, so....
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #4770
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
WWE will have to call an audible, right? Those boos were XPac heat.

Yeah, they have to give him the belt at EC. They can't have Orton/Batista close out WM. Would be an utter disaster. Especially on the new network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think the focus being entirely on Daniel Bryan misses the point. Roman Reigns was unbelievable last night, just like he has been for at least the last few months, and if he had won a large majority of the fans would have been cheering and going crazy. Instead it went to someone less athletic, less charismatic, and much less in-shape who wasn't even that popular when he was on the show 5+ years ago. But, he has a movie coming out, so....

I just think fans wanted something new. Orton/Cena for the millionth time. No one has cared about Batista in like 5+ years.

I think that they went into this thinking that Batista would get huge love for his return a la the Rock. They didn't realize no one cares about him anymore. Just out of touch with their fans. They would have been fine with Reigns winning or just about anyone that would provide something different from the same old guys headlining.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #4771
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

... And that was one of the worst 3 hour RAWs I've ever seen. Pointless.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #4772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I see where Jake Roberts was announced as a Hall of Fame inductee. Not sure how many people (including him) ever thought he'd live (literally) to see the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #4773
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Why should we be thankful for that? Being a virtual monopoly means they have zero incentive to improve their product.

I'll stand by my belief that BOTH companies were better off during the late 90's when they were creatively pushing each other.

I think he meant, thankfully for them.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #4774
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

All this Daniel Bryan hoopla must be a work, right?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #4775
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
... And that was one of the worst 3 hour RAWs I've ever seen. Pointless.
They tried sooooo hard to own the RR disaster and play it like it's all a work and the crowd ONCE AGAIN shit all over them and it was *glorious*.

When Batista came out and after getting booed out of the building, in the middle of his promo, the crowd hit him with "Daniel Bryan *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*" it just had to be the nail in the Batista comeback coffin.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 01-28-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #4776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So with a day out of school my kid is watching what I gather must be the 100 greatest moments of Raw on Netflix.

Y'know, for all the really bad stuff, there's some insanely good stuff too. And that's coming from someone who was always a WCW guy not a WWF guy.

Nobody is better at making moments feel bigger.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #4777
RainMaker
General Manager

I think they're setting up a Shield-Wyatt mania match which I'm all for. Shield is due for a face turn in my opinion. Fans love Reigns, and the other guys are just real fun in the ring.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #4778
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And that's coming from someone who was always a WCW guy not a WWF guy.

Thats gotta be a SE thing, right?
I'm 100% with ya...actually go back a ways before the NWA and UWF "merger" and give me Crockett promotions and NWA and that was all time fave.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #4779
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Thats gotta be a SE thing, right?
I'm 100% with ya...actually go back a ways before the NWA and UWF "merger" and give me Crockett promotions and NWA and that was all time fave.

Yeah, I think region played a huge role in where you landed during the Monday night wars.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #4780
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think they're setting up a Shield-Wyatt mania match which I'm all for. Shield is due for a face turn in my opinion. Fans love Reigns, and the other guys are just real fun in the ring.

I think the last RAW is setting up Shield vs. Wyatts for this upcoming PPV. WWE is supposedly super high on Bray Wyatt and are setting up Bray vs Cena at Wrestlemania.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #4781
Terps
College Prospect

Yeah, I think Wyatt's vs. Shield at Elimination Chamber.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #4782
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd take that too I guess. Was hoping for a longer feud though.

I thought I saw a rumor about the Wyatts against Cena/Hogan at Mania?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #4783
molson
General Manager

I'm going to assume nobody cares about Smackdown Spoilers, so, the chamber match will be:

Randy Orton
John Cena
Daniel Bryan
Sheamus
Antonio Cesaro
Christian

Meltzer thinks the Foley stuff (and Bryan also spouting off on twitter and in interviews) is a work. Clearly there's a self-awareness of all this, and I think, a strong belief in the fact that him being a real-life underdog makes him even more over. The only question is whether it goes anywhere specific. They have booked the PPV after Mania for Seattle.

I thought the Rumble show was entertaining for all kinds of reasons....but geez, Batista looks like a confused elderly man out there next to a guy like Lesnar, and even Ryback. It was so risky to commit him to a Mania match before even seeing him work a in front of a crowd for the last 4 years. He started getting really good right before he left, but that was a long time ago, and he was never a great worker or anything. Batista/Orton would be really awful. I hope they find some way to audible out of that.

But, this is the most interesting wrestling thing I've read recently:

Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka girlfriend's death to be investigated by grand jury - mcall.com

If the evidence is still all preserved, and they can overcome the evidentiary hurdles that come with old, and potentially dead witnesses, Snuka could finally be going down. If he lives long enough.

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2014 at 12:05 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #4784
RainMaker
General Manager

I think he's going to win at EC. There is no way they can go through with an Orton-Batista main event.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #4785
molson
General Manager

I am going to spoiler this one because it comes from Bryan Alvarez, who does have sources within WWE. It's about WWE's current thought process about a potential Mania match.

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #4786
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thought I saw a rumor about the Wyatts against Cena/Hogan at Mania?

Hogan's body is in too terrible condition for him to be asked to do much of anything.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #4787
molson
General Manager

I touched on this in my spoiler tagged post above but it looks like Punk is gone and at the very least, out of Mania season. I guess things could change any time, but he walked out before RAW, I suppose either because of burnout, or because of the changed Mania booking plans, or a combination of the two. It's the most profitable time of the year for wrestlers, so for him to walk out how is pretty crazy (though apparently he saves his money and lives very frugally). He'd been telling people for a long time that he was going to retire in July when his contract was up, but wrestlers say shit like that all the time (because there's no other companies to leverage against, you can only use retirement at leverage.)

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #4788
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's the most profitable time of the year for wrestlers, so for him to walk out how is pretty crazy (though apparently he saves his money and lives very frugally).

With the introduction of The Network, it seems that the PPV bonuses are either gone or reduced dramatically. It's being speculated that the reduction plays a part in Punk's timing, basically leaving now really doesn't cost him what it would have in years past.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #4789
RainMaker
General Manager

They have two big events in Chicago (Raw after EC and Extreme Rules) coming in the next few months. Will be interesting to see the crowd reaction.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #4790
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Any chance all of this is a work? CM Punk timing just too close to the rest of this stuff.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #4791
RainMaker
General Manager

If you think about it, he has a right to be pissed. Guys work their ass off all year on the road and they hand the top spot to a guy who hasn't been in the company in 5 years who no one really gives a shit about.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #4792
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you think about it, he has a right to be pissed. Guys work their ass off all year on the road and they hand the top spot to a guy who hasn't been in the company in 5 years who no one really gives a shit about.

Wasn't the Rock essential skyrocketed towards the top? I know he has the heritage, but still.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #4793
molson
General Manager

TMZ's on it!

CM Punk -- QUITTING WWE ... You're Screwing Me Out of WrestleMania Glory | TMZ.com

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is that Batista winning the Rumble and HHH/Punk at 'Mania had been planned for months. Yet Punk left suddenly before RAW. Did something change?

So he left right around when it was reported that Bryan was taking Punk's spot v. HHH. But was that before or after Punk left? The easier narrative is that he's mad over Batista and HHH, but it would be just as amusing (to me) if Punk is mad that Bryan took his spot, while he was going to get stuck with Kane or somebody. And that scenario makes more sense, it's not like there was any hint that they were building toward another Punk/Orton match at Mania.

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #4794
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Former WWE star Matt Hardy arrested for alleged hotel brawl with wife - Houston Chronicle
Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #4795
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Horribly sloppy "news" by the Houston paper on this one. They left out the detail that the arrests took place back on January 1st.

Since then the couple has posted all sorts of cutesy lovey dovey pics together (and some racier ones of each other too).

Here's the TMZ article that's being quoted (which does mention the rather obvious reconciliation)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #4796
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
TMZ's on it!

CM Punk -- QUITTING WWE ... You're Screwing Me Out of WrestleMania Glory | TMZ.com

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is that Batista winning the Rumble and HHH/Punk at 'Mania had been planned for months. Yet Punk left suddenly before RAW. Did something change?

So he left right around when it was reported that Bryan was taking Punk's spot v. HHH. But was that before or after Punk left? The easier narrative is that he's mad over Batista and HHH, but it would be just as amusing (to me) if Punk is mad that Bryan took his spot, while he was going to get stuck with Kane or somebody. And that scenario makes more sense, it's not like there was any hint that they were building toward another Punk/Orton match at Mania.

Punk isn't mad about Bryan. He's upset about Bautista, because he's taking Bryan's spot. He said it's been Bryan's year, but instead, it's someone who hasn't been there. He says it illustrates how out of touch the WWE is with the fan base (which is true).

The original plan, according to several outlets, was a rematch of Bryan and Sheamus. Perhaps THIS is also a work (which would be supermeta, and would amaze me, because I simply don't think the WWE is capable of following through with this...they continually shot their wad too early when landing on a massive storyline, ie Nexus, CM Punk in '12, etc). I'm kind of amazed that the Bryan storyline has gone on as long as it has...they already shot down the Wyatt storyline, reportedly, because of the Michigan State "YES!" chant.

Anyway, Punk, I'd say, is gone. He's under contract until July, but given the nature of this, and given that he said in an interview that he's been sick since September, and doctors can't figure out what's wrong...oh, hell, I can't figure out anything anymore.

I'd just say Punk's gone, and unfortunately, people like HHH will get to call him a crybaby for not getting to headline Mania.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #4797
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Punk may have also "lost his smile", with no negative connotation intended by that phrase.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #4798
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Punk isn't mad about Bryan. He's upset about Bautista, because he's taking Bryan's spot.

I haven't heard anywhere that Punk/Orton was ever the plan for Mania. Meltzer has been reporting it'd be Punk/HHH for months. Why throw a fit now? I know the easiest thing is to blame HHH for everything, but it's possible for internet-popular wrestlers to be unprofessional and throw fits too.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #4799
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
I haven't heard anywhere that Punk/Orton was ever the plan for Mania. Meltzer has been reporting it'd be Punk/HHH for months. Why throw a fit now? I know the easiest thing is to blame HHH for everything, but it's possible for internet-popular wrestlers to be unprofessional and throw fits too.

No...not Punk/Orton. Orton/Bryan.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #4800
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Punk was my favorite wrestler for several years, although I have to say since the feud with Paul Heyman, he's been extremely dull. Of course someone with that talent being forced to fight against guys like Ryback and Curtis Axel for months wouldn't help. I'd rather remember the pipe bomb thrower, or the long hair SES guy rather than the disheveled Wolverine looking guy who was zombie walking through shows for months now. It would suck if he is permanently gone, but maybe that's the only way he'll main event a Wrestlemania since that spot has essentially been reserved for inactive wrestlers for 4 straight years now.