Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

4 blocks away from the new high school - Walk?

Drive by venting! I have been lurking behind the scene for a while as I have been crazy busy in life. But with a management desk job, I have some free time now and might be here and posting again more often.

Yeah, this is more of a vent bitch thread since I can't do it in a FB setting.

My 14 yr old step-daughter starts at the brand new high school they built literally four blocks from our home.

She started complaining and bitching that she can't walk, it's to far, what happens if it rains? What about the winter? (They were talking to someone who walked a total of 2 miles a day to school, 1 there and 1 back)

I was like, you fucking deal with it, you learn to adapt and grow the fuck up. Which went over like a turd in a punch bowl with my wife.

I have found it as my step-daughters get older, I need to shut the fuck up because all it does is get me in hot water with the wife. They are obstinate I am a stubborn shit head, nothing good comes out of it.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If it makes you feel any better..for 'school safety purposes' our local high school does not allow walk up students.

My mom lives across the street from the school. Because of scheduling issues my daughter stayed with her one night last year (whole other issue. I thought a mature 15 year old responsible HS freshman could spend one night alone at home my wife not so much) ...her options "get on the bus 1.5 hours before school and ride the route to pick everyone upor make my mom drive her across the road. Mom got off an 18 hour hospital rotation at 3 AM... so she got to ride the entire bus route that day.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

what's the alternative, monorail?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Drive by venting! I have been lurking behind the scene for a while as I have been crazy busy in life. But with a management desk job, I have some free time now and might be here and posting again more often.

Yeah, this is more of a vent bitch thread since I can't do it in a FB setting.

My 14 yr old step-daughter starts at the brand new high school they built literally four blocks from our home.

She started complaining and bitching that she can't walk, it's to far, what happens if it rains? What about the winter? (They were talking to someone who walked a total of 2 miles a day to school, 1 there and 1 back)

I was like, you fucking deal with it, you learn to adapt and grow the fuck up. Which went over like a turd in a punch bowl with my wife.

I have found it as my step-daughters get older, I need to shut the fuck up because all it does is get me in hot water with the wife. They are obstinate I am a stubborn shit head, nothing good comes out of it.

I feel you. After raising three boys in my first marriage, I added another son and daughter from my current marriage and we had two very different parenting styles and it took a couple of years of the type of thing you describe to realize I needed to pick my battles very carefully.

My daughter is a little sassy, but sensitive and she was 14 when I came into her life. I remember early she was badgering me about why she couldn't do something and I raised my voice. Wrong move, she immediately teared up and my wife was like "I never talk to my kids that way" and my response was why? LOL, yeah, that went well.

Definitely can be challenges in a blended family and I too soon realized that sometimes STFU is the best way to handle things.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I feel you. After raising three boys in my first marriage, I added another son and daughter from my current marriage and we had two very different parenting styles and it took a couple of years of the type of thing you describe to realize I needed to pick my battles very carefully.

My daughter is a little sassy, but sensitive and she was 14 when I came into her life. I remember early she was badgering me about why she couldn't do something and I raised my voice. Wrong move, she immediately teared up and my wife was like "I never talk to my kids that way" and my response was why? LOL, yeah, that went well.

Definitely can be challenges in a blended family and I too soon realized that sometimes STFU is the best way to handle things.

Amen!
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If it makes you feel any better..for 'school safety purposes' our local high school does not allow walk up students.

My mom lives across the street from the school. Because of scheduling issues my daughter stayed with her one night last year (whole other issue. I thought a mature 15 year old responsible HS freshman could spend one night alone at home my wife not so much) ...her options "get on the bus 1.5 hours before school and ride the route to pick everyone upor make my mom drive her across the road. Mom got off an 18 hour hospital rotation at 3 AM... so she got to ride the entire bus route that day.

When I lived in NY it was that way. My ex-wife lived like 1 block from the school but my kids had to ride a bus - 1 block.

They just need to say - We are trying to eliminate any excuse for someone to sue us, so here is a bus....

But in Utah, Property Taxes don't go to school so we have underpaid teachers and a shitty ass school bus system.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yikes... can't walk 4 blocks. So what's the alternative? I get that maybe your wife was upset how you handled it, but what's her solution? Drive them to school every day?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, you're just asking for trouble handling it that way.

Good luck!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 08-20-2019 at 10:04 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yikes... can't walk 4 blocks. So what's the alternative? I get that maybe your wife was upset how you handled it, but what's her solution? Drive them to school every day?

Yeah - She already drives the 15 year old to the Military School every day, and now she will be driving the 14 yr old to High School
Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah - She already drives the 15 year old to the Military School every day, and now she will be driving the 14 yr old to High School

Well if that's what she wants to do, I guess let her have at it. b
Old 08-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
molson
General Manager

When you don't have kids you get disconnected from the culture of kids and parenting in modern times.

I think I remember just as much from my walks to school (about 3 blocks, starting in Kindergarten), as I do from school itself. It was my first taste of real freedom and first experiences with unstructured socializing. There were a lot of kids walking to school and you never knew who you'd find yourself talking too. I heard about the Challenger disaster and the late inning drama of the '86 world series on those walks, and a million other historical events and neighborhood and school gossip. Sad that the school walk seems to be going away.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, is she going to be shellshocked if she ever lives in a major city.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think I remember just as much from my walks to school (about 3 blocks, starting in Kindergarten), as I do from school itself. It was my first taste of real freedom and first experiences with unstructured socializing. There were a lot of kids walking to school and you never knew who you'd find yourself talking too. I heard about the Challenger disaster and the late inning drama of the '86 world series on those walks, and a million other historical events and neighborhood and school gossip. Sad that the school walk seems to be going away.

I smoked my first cigarette on these walks. I teased my junior high crush on these walks. I taught myself how to whistle on these walks. Pencil fought. Traded baseball cards and Garbage Pail Kids stickers. Got chased by a high school kid after hitting his car with a small piece of fruit. Got threatened by a neighborhood dog whose gate was left open. Loved these walks.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 08-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I walked about 5 blocks home in elementary school. We had to go over a small bridge with a creek. We would always stop and have crazy adventures down there. Sometimes we wouldn't get home until it was dark and no one ever came looking for us.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

Elementary School, I walked 1 block. One day, I went home to take a dump because I could.

Jr High, it was 8 blocks each way. Most days unless the weather was shit.

Pre license in HS, it was a mile each way up and down a stupid hill. Every now and then I rode the city bus up the hill.

All this was in Minot, North Dakota. We had sidewalks and I crossed a couple really big intersections, it was safe for the most part. Didn't love it, but it's what had to be done. My mom was a single mom, she worked, what else was I going to do?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

Used to walk 2.5 miles each way to and from high school through an industrial estate and over a train line. You can imagine the kind of trouble we got ourselves into. This was after somebody set fire to the school bus and got the service stopped and we were banned from all the public buses.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote