Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
LondonSmith
n00b

Preseason strategy?

I have always just played my preseason games like normal, holding out any player with any kind of injury and occasionally my older players. I did this mostly for my own internal narrative, but is the wisest decision to actually just hold out every sure starter and only give PT to players who need development? What strategies do you guys typically employ for this part of the season?

LondonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

I play back-ups and Roster bubble guys, then my starters for the last game.
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
JustinSmith94
n00b

There's a preseason rust modifier, I play my starters enough to get rid of that and otherwise try not to risk them unless they're young players who need to develop.
JustinSmith94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Dawgfan19
High School JV

I play my starters in game 1 to deal with the rust issue. A few will have rust, but it's a small trade off vs. the injury risk. Playing the starters in week 1 vs. the last game also mitigates the injury risk somewhat. If the player is injured for 3 games or less, he will be healthy for the regular season. However, players hurt in the last game will missed regular season games.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
LondonSmith
n00b

Good answers, all. I'll start doing all of this!
LondonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Jstraub
n00b

I only play SP with injuries at 70.

Here is what I do.

Games 1 and 2 I deactivate my best players by sorting them based on their overall until I get to the 46 active threshold. Only exceptions are if a player hasn't yet reached their potential or if minimum roster limitations are impacted. I always hope for a significant injury to one of my lower rated but roster required (position leader) players. This way I can stash him on IR and sign a potential prospect or maybe a starter after preseason cuts.

In games 3 and 4 I activate all my best players (deactivate the worst) and turn injuries off because I cant stomach losing a starter to injuries during the preseason.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote