Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #51
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Six hours in and the game is brilliant. Whether it'll get repetitive or not I dont know, but so far I just want to play more.

No problems other than the game is a bit too much for my oldish laptop so playing with pretty low settings. But new "gaming" laptop turning up next week so short-term annoyance hopefully.

I'm off to find a planet with lots of animals and no sentinels so I can kill things without fear of reprisal.

I need to get a new laptop so curious what you are getting for your new gaming laptop?

Last edited by Galaril : 08-13-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #52
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I needed to get a new labor so curious what you are getting for your new gaming laptop?

I picked this up a few months ago...
GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX 980M) | MSI USA | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider

It's really fantastic, a little spendy, but well worth it for my needs. Haven't had a game dip below 60 fps. I bought NMS for ps4 tho.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #53
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX 980M) | MSI USA | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider

It's really fantastic, a little spendy, but well worth it for my needs. Haven't had a game dip below 60 fps. I bought NMS for ps4 tho.

Thanks but that would be out of my price range as I am looking for something in the $700-900 range roughly.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #54
Critch
lolzcat

I dont have as much cash as chinaski, so I went a bit cheaper:

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-070

Still MSI, my current laptop is MSI and it's been great for 3+ years, NMS is the first thing it's struggled with. Handled GTA V with no problems and, other than replacing the fan myself, it's never needed any maintenance.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #55
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol
This has me wondering whether I was supposed to have felt as though I actually saved the universe or found the true meaning of life after beating Mass Effect 3.

If so, you completely missed the point.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #56
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Thanks but that would be out of my price range as I am looking for something in the $700-900 range roughly.

Ah, I see. I looked around a bit trying to find something in that price range for you and the best I could find were ASUS and MSI's that had at best 960m for the GPU. I honestly would wait until you could get at least a 980m in that price range. 960m is not going to cut it for very long and wont be all that great with most games, especially NMS.

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG GL551VW-DS71 Gaming Notebook: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ASUS GL551 15-Inch Laptop [2015 model]: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: MSI GL72 6QD-001 17.3" GAMING LAPTOP NOTEBOOK Geforce GTX 950M i5-6300HQ 8GB 1TB: Computers & Accessories
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #57
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ah, I see. I looked around a bit trying to find something in that price range for you and the best I could find were ASUS and MSI's that had at best 960m for the GPU. I honestly would wait until you could get at least a 980m in that price range. 960m is not going to cut it for very long and wont be all that great with most games, especially NMS.

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG GL551VW-DS71 Gaming Notebook: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ASUS GL551 15-Inch Laptop [2015 model]: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: MSI GL72 6QD-001 17.3" GAMING LAPTOP NOTEBOOK Geforce GTX 950M i5-6300HQ 8GB 1TB: Computers & Accessories

Thanks man for looking around and swing what are options for me. Yes that is good advice on the 980m . I am leaning to an MSI and will see what they got that ord able in that.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #58
Groundhog
Coordinator

Less than 1 hour in, and not feeling it at all. Likely refund.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #59
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, just feels like a generic early access survival/craft game to me. Not entirely NMS' fault, but my controller has a habit of kicking me to desktop randomly, and I wasn't able to maximize NMS again, and relaunching it revealed that none of my ores were saved... Even quitting normally through the menu seems to have made me lost all ores I had mined, as well as the repairs I'd done to my ship and equipment. Zero motivation to walk the 4.5 mins each way to the ore I need again.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #60
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, just feels like a generic early access survival/craft game to me. Not entirely NMS' fault, but my controller has a habit of kicking me to desktop randomly, and I wasn't able to maximize NMS again, and relaunching it revealed that none of my ores were saved... Even quitting normally through the menu seems to have made me lost all ores I had mined, as well as the repairs I'd done to my ship and equipment. Zero motivation to walk the 4.5 mins each way to the ore I need again.

Quitting doesn't autosave. You need to either get in your ship and get out, or find a building (which usually has a save point right next to it). Pain in the ass, yes, but anything you do after a save point won't save unless you do a save point again before you quit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #61
Ironhead
College Prospect

This seems like the perfect game to buy after it has been out for a while and has a decent sized price drop. It gives time for bugs to be ironed out and based on the amount of content in the game it seems more like a $20 game then a $60 game. Given that there really is no multiplayer aspect you don't even have to worry about things like the player base shrinking or getting too far behind other players.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #62
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
If so, you completely missed the point.

No, it just means you need someone else to make up a story for you to tell you whether the game you're playing is fun.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #63
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Completely not true. I often make up my own stories with many games(Dwarf Fortress for example). Once again your presumption is off-target. I'm glad people are getting enjoyment out of NMS, but it's not for me.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

It lasted about 1 hour on my hard drive. My first ever refund request. Performance was terrible on a 980ti and it was clear very quickly that the game wasn't for me. I typically love games without direction, but this just isn't a good game IMO.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #65
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

I bought pretty much this laptop back in February. I love it.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #66
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, this is totally a wait for a big sale and a lot of patches.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #67
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well alas, I found out it can't run on a Surface Pro 4 (through forums, not purchase) and that's my most powerful computer. Oh well...
Old 08-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

Abnormal Traffic Detected

Edit: Actual title was "Despite a Rough Start, No Man's Sky had a Huge Launch"

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #69
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Will we still be around in 2026 for the next hype?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #70
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

That game is exactly what came to mind after playing.

A friend of mine is playing and enjoying it. My opinion matches the RPS review which more or less said it's a bad game with a ton of potential through future updates.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
That game is exactly what came to mind after playing.

A friend of mine is playing and enjoying it. My opinion matches the RPS review which more or less said it's a bad game with a ton of potential through future updates.

So it's Stellaris / Hearts of Iron 4.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I dont have as much cash as chinaski, so I went a bit cheaper:

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-070

Still MSI, my current laptop is MSI and it's been great for 3+ years, NMS is the first thing it's struggled with. Handled GTA V with no problems and, other than replacing the fan myself, it's never needed any maintenance.

I bought the GE62 a year or so ago. Absolutely love it outside of the trackpad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm glad someone took the time to put that list together, because I was beginning to wonder if it was simply the hype of others that had led to my disappointment with this. Clearly that's not the case. This feels like the alpha/tech demo of what was promised by the developers as little as 4 months before release.

I refunded it after my trials above, and can't picture it ever being in a state that would make me want to pick it up again just based on the BS from that reddit post.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-17-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

CrowbCat made a video too.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky - YouTube

It does have spoilers if you're worried about that.

There's also this.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-17-2016 at 12:10 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 AM   #76
Groundhog
Coordinator

That video is hilarious. Looks like the planet I started on too, except the animal is slightly more derpy than mine were. I think that diving straight into your ship and going exploring would have probably kept me playing for at least too long to get a Steam refund.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #77
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Gave this thing a chance. Had high expectations but luckily didn't go beyond the refund policy limits.

Anyone still playing?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Gave this thing a chance. Had high expectations but luckily didn't go beyond the refund policy limits.

Anyone still playing?

I love it, but I'm obviously in the minority. My kids love to watch it and play. They love discovering new creatures, planets, etc. I'm not even really caring about the story. I just love finding new stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #79
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I love it, but I'm obviously in the minority. My kids love to watch it and play. They love discovering new creatures, planets, etc. I'm not even really caring about the story. I just love finding new stuff.

Still playing here. About 20 hours of play so far, and I still haven't left my first system. Wife and oldest son are playing it as well.

I've definitely gotten my sixty bucks out of it already. Even if I didn't play another minute.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #80
Galaril
Pro Starter

Will hold off for some months or a year when it is patched up and cheap.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #81
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Anyone still playing?

(Don't have the game yet-watched several videos/livestreams of it though)

I think that is the main problem-everybody had high expectations because of all the hype, and outright lies such as multiplayer. I get why people are angry over those things. Every legit gripe about it such as the controls or combat or whatever gets inflated because of the hype.

But in watching the videos, its like everyone is expecting everything from the game on second one from day one. How many RPG's or MMO's start out that way? That's part of the appeal of them-getting stronger/more powers as you go. The problem is that they didn't do a good enough job explaining that in the beginning. I lost count of how many people completely ignored/missed Atlas which should have happened in the first few minutes of the game. You are instantly given a mystery/reason for playing the game-what the hell is this Atlas and where do I go to find out more? That leads to your first encounters with aliens, their language, crafting, etc. Yes you can improve your ship and suit-you can also stumble on new ones if you explore the options given to you at outposts on nearly every planet.

Yeah the first few planets are not going to be like the trailers they showed-with the wide variety of planets types/animals/flora etc. But they get more like that as you "level up" and get closer to the center of the galaxy

Its kinda funny because all the things I thought was wrong with Minecraft where you know almost nothing when you start and have to rely on mods/videos/websites to find out what you can do, and what the end of the game is, are what people are saying are wrong about this game. But you are given more direction on what to do than Minecraft has ever done in game, if you are observant, patient and not expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter, you find a decent game buried beneath the hype.

Not meant as a specific criticism of you EF, but rather my feelings as I watched how people responded to the game. I would suggest people watch some videos so they can get a better idea of where the game starts and where it wants to take you before deciding whether to buy it or not. Play for more than an hour too.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #82
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Anyone still playing?

I like the PS4 version just fine. The PC version sounds like it has some capital-i Issues, but...that don't affect me none.

Haven't played in a few days because personal obligations have gotten in the way, but yes, I still enjoy it and am still playing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #83
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Will hold off for some months or a year when it is patched up and cheap.

I plan on giving it another shot at some point when the price drops. Right now it feels like an early access game to me. The best thing it has going for it is just how massive the game is. The rest of it feels unfinished.

The backlash comes from missing features that were talked about and Sony's hype and attempt to treat it like a AAA studio release. If it was priced more reasonably I think the developer would have been given the benefit of the doubt. When you push a game as hard as they did and charge $60 people expect a finished game.

The fact that the developer is now backing away from the "no paid dlc" promise from early in development doesn't give much hope for this being anything more than a project to squeeze as much money out of people as possible.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #84
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yep, the main thing for me is that most of what is missing from the game was the stuff that actually got me interested - the idea of a living universe with rotating planets and stars in the sky, immense worlds you could never possibly explore every inch of, animals/minerals/planet conditions generated in line with position of planets in galaxies, complex crafting (no blueprints), deep relations (and battles) between factions... none of that is in the game at this point. It's a crafting/exploration sandbox game, the planets are basically minecraft biomes, and the creatures look like a random number generator gone wrong and seem to have about 1/2 an hours worth of AI programming behind them.That's not the game I was expecting based on what the developers themselves said.

The on-planet stuff reminds me of a game I haven't touched in ages, Planet Explorers, which has been in early access for years and has a crafting system light-years ahead of this one, and in fact nearly every gameplay mechanic in NMS has has been done better already in a different title.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-23-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #85
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yep, the main thing for me is that most of what is missing from the game was the stuff that actually got me interested - the idea of a living universe with rotating planets and stars in the sky, immense worlds you could never possibly explore every inch of, animals/minerals/planet conditions generated in line with position of planets in galaxies, complex crafting (no blueprints), deep relations (and battles) between factions... none of that is in the game at this point. It's a crafting/exploration sandbox game, the planets are basically minecraft biomes, and the creatures look like a random number generator gone wrong and seem to have about 1/2 an hours worth of AI programming behind them.That's not the game I was expecting based on what the developers themselves said.

The on-planet staff reminds me of a game I haven't touched in ages, Planet Explorers, which has been in early access for years and has a crafting system light-years ahead of this one, and in fact nearly every gameplay mechanic in NMS has has been done better already in a different title.

Harsh but too true.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #86
Ironhead
College Prospect

Mods are starting to come out for the PC version that improve upon some elements of the game. The one that stands out in particular is the low flight mod which allows you to fly as low to the terrain as you want and lets you point your ship down (which actually lets you see where you are going to land).

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No Man's SkyÂ*Update Adds Vehicles, Base Sharing, Permadeath
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #88
Thomkal
Head Coach

40% off at GOG.com now till the 14th. Not quite big enough discount for me to justify buying it. I wish Steam would have one of their free weekends for it. Seems like good timing for it with the latest update.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #90
Thomkal
Head Coach

well I caved, when Steam had it 40% off too. But the Fates seem to not want to play it. Just when I was about ready to start, my mouse died. Not a single battery in the house for it. Go to the store, get some batteries, start up the game...get messages I don't have enough memory or video card memory for it.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #91
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
well I caved, when Steam had it 40% off too. But the Fates seem to not want to play it. Just when I was about ready to start, my mouse died. Not a single battery in the house for it. Go to the store, get some batteries, start up the game...get messages I don't have enough memory or video card memory for it.

You are one of the lucky ones; that is more fun than you would have gotten from playing the game.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #92
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
You are one of the lucky ones; that is more fun than you would have gotten from playing the game.

And it will end up costing me a lot more money for it if I get the upgrades too.

Edit: I came into the game late, after all the hype, right before it was released. So the controversy over what it had promised didn't affect me/bother me too much. I watched some let's plays and it reminds me a lot of Minecraft in space. Unlike Minecraft, it does appear to have some basic goals/quests, and then the ultimate goal of getting to the center of the universe. So when/if I ever get to play it, I think I will enjoy it a lot.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-11-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #93
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And it will end up costing me a lot more money for it if I get the upgrades too.

Edit: I came into the game late, after all the hype, right before it was released. So the controversy over what it had promised didn't affect me/bother me too much. I watched some let's plays and it reminds me a lot of Minecraft in space. Unlike Minecraft, it does appear to have some basic goals/quests, and then the ultimate goal of getting to the center of the universe. So when/if I ever get to play it, I think I will enjoy it a lot.

Hope you do. I came in late and while there were a lot of pre-release promises that seem to have not been kept I also found the game extremely tedious.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #94
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Unlike Minecraft, it does appear to have some basic goals/quests, and then the ultimate goal of getting to the center of the universe.

Unfortunately, that was one of the greatest lies told...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #95
Thomkal
Head Coach

The biggest update ever to No Man's Sky can be downloaded sometime today. Called Beyond this update bring NMS the closest its ever been to a MMO. on PC (less on Consoles) up to 32 players can meet in a multiplayer "lounge" called the Space Anomaly, which is in every system. Multiplayer missions are available there including base construction ones.

Perhaps the biggest introduction into the game however is you can now play the game in VR. If there was ever a game begging to be played in VR, it was No Man's Sky. Here's a look at the most major changes/additions:

Beyond Update - No Man's Sky