Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #201
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dola,

Last year the Orioles paid more than $1 million per HR from him.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 04-08-2019 at 06:47 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #202
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

That's impressive. They only paid $40,000 per HR to Dylan Bundy.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #203
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You play him because he's the reason why you suck now. His contract ruined the franchise for years.

What else is there to do? Play him so that his suckage gets you more top picks.

With 6 years left on the contract he was bad. Not terrible, but bad.

With 5 years left on the contract, he pretty much had the worst season in the history of MLB.

This year with 4 years left on the contract, he's even worse than that.

So, you keep playing him until you reach the point where you don't suck any more. That's likely 2-3 years down the road.

This story just screams for a movie. The only thing we don't know is how it ends. Is it a feel good or a tragedy? Imagine if he does keep playing 3 more years, and sucking along the way. Imagine the toll on his mental health. The psychologist in me hopes he's getting therapy, because being booed out of your home stadium where you were once a superhero is crushing for anyone, no matter what they say.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #204
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This story just screams for a movie. The only thing we don't know is how it ends. Is it a feel good or a tragedy? Imagine if he does keep playing 3 more years, and sucking along the way. Imagine the toll on his mental health. The psychologist in me hopes he's getting therapy, because being booed out of your home stadium where you were once a superhero is crushing for anyone, no matter what they say.

He's set for life and can walk away whenever he wants. Whatever he's going through is outweighed by his desire for more wealth.

I don't think we'd feel bad for a CEO who made $100+ million and then stopped performing and tanked a company, I don't think we should feel bad for this guy.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #205
spleen1015
Coordinator

At some point, I think the 'integrity of the game' comes into question and he has to sit.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #206
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's set for life and can walk away whenever he wants. Whatever he's going through is outweighed by his desire for more wealth.

I don't think we'd feel bad for a CEO who made $100+ million and then stopped performing and tanked a company, I don't think we should feel bad for this guy.

True, but the ghost of Donnie Moore, whose professional failure cost him everything, is still out there. He has to have some sort of conscience. Or maybe he doesn't? I don't know enough about him to say otherwise. I'm sure he could retire, give all the money back and just walk away, if he wanted.

Like Steam?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #207
bhlloy
Coordinator

Obviously Pujols is nowhere near as bad as Davis, but at least Davis (presumably) hasn’t obtained a contract that is very likely based somewhat on lying about his age. It’s tough to feel too sorry for the Angels as they went in with their eyes wide open and everyone in baseball knew the potential issues around players from the DR and birth dates, but if we are talking ethical questions it’s an interesting one to me as well.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #208
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
True, but the ghost of Donnie Moore, whose professional failure cost him everything, is still out there. He has to have some sort of conscience. Or maybe he doesn't? I don't know enough about him to say otherwise. I'm sure he could retire, give all the money back and just walk away, if he wanted.

Depression can hit anybody, of course, whether you're playing well or not. I don't know if Donnie Moore's issues were about baseball or something else. If he was miserable playing baseball and could have done better had he walked away, that decision would have been complicated by the fact that he hadn't made $100 million in his career to that point. In fact, he killed his wife and himself after he was out of baseball for a year, not by his own choice, and with his "big" earnings years long behind him.

The conscience question is interesting. I've had jobs where maybe I had a bad day, wasn't particularly productive. I felt kind of guilty and work harder the next day, maybe put in a little extra time. What is it like to get bi-weekly paychecks for around $2 million each, all season long, when you're providing nothing of value but are in fact hurting the organization with your very presence of the roster. Do you care?

And there was the Jim Palmer situation last season. Chris Davis was telling everyone who would listen that he was working on fixing his hitting all off-season with hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh. Palmer asked Coolbaugh about it, and Coolbaugh said they didn't actually work together at all. Those stories, combined with historic-shiftiness at the plate seem to make it more likely that Davis got paid and then didn't give a shit. We're used to professional athletes remaining ultra-competitive even when they become super-rich. But, you'd think human nature would win out in at least some situations, where a guy couldn't bring it at the same level once he was guaranteed insane wealth. Davis is one of those cases. And I can certainly understand why owners would be reluctant to guarantee this kind of money to anybody but the most special talents.

Last edited by molson : 04-08-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #209
PilotMan
Head Coach

Chris Davis set the ohfer record last night. He's up to 47 straight now.

Like Steam?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #210
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I may be prone to exaggeration, but Whit Merrifield is the most underrated player in MLB...
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #211
molson
General Manager

I may also be prone to exaggeration, but Chris Sale looks done. (And he hasn't even started his $145 million contract extension yet).

OK, he's probably not done, but he has no velocity, looks like shit, and told a Red Sox beat reporter that he's never been this lost on the mound.

Last edited by molson : 04-09-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #212
tarcone
Coordinator

Cardinals bringing the Dodgers back to Earth

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #213
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I may also be prone to exaggeration, but Chris Sale looks done. (And he hasn't even started his $145 million contract extension yet).

OK, he's probably not done, but he has no velocity, looks like shit, and told a Red Sox beat reporter that he's never been this lost on the mound.

He's been so bad that the Nationals have formally offered him a spot in their bullpen.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cardinals bringing the Dodgers back to Earth

Dakota Hudson is fun to watch pitch.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #215
JPhillips
General Manager

Fun with small sample sizes:

The Reds are 2-8 and have a positive run differential.

The Brewers are 8-3 and have a negative run differential.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #216
Logan
Head Coach

Pete Alonso just murdered a ball against Atlanta.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pete Alonso just murdered a ball against Atlanta.

I was watching the game on my laptop while wife and I watched TV. I paused the show and said to my wife "remember the rookie on the Mets I told you about, you have to come see what he just did" and made her come over and watch the replay.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #218
BishopMVP
Coordinator

118mph exit velocity, 2nd to a ball Stanton hit on March 31 for hardest this year. "Only" 454 feet, because it had by far the lowest launch angle of any long HR. (The Stanton hit was another line drive.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the other end of the spectrum, is there really any chance (I can't think the word "risk" is even appropriate at this point) that anybody would take a flyer on Chris Davis if he was designated for assignment in order to be sent to the minors (he's out of options)? Is there any franchise that nuts at this point?

And if not, good Lord, what are they actually waiting for? It's to the point that I'm almost feeling sorry for the guy - absurd paycheck or not - to keep either running him out there or wasting a roster space on him. The odds of a minor league stint fixing things seem slim at this point but those odds have to be better than perpetual failure don't they?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #220
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, is there really any chance (I can't think the word "risk" is even appropriate at this point) that anybody would take a flyer on Chris Davis if he was designated for assignment in order to be sent to the minors (he's out of options)? Is there any franchise that nuts at this point?

And if not, good Lord, what are they actually waiting for? It's to the point that I'm almost feeling sorry for the guy - absurd paycheck or not - to keep either running him out there or wasting a roster space on him. The odds of a minor league stint fixing things seem slim at this point but those odds have to be better than perpetual failure don't they?

Isn't he at the point where he can refuse assignment to the minors? My baseball knowledge is severely colored by OOTP but I think the team's options are to keep him on the MLB 25-man roster or cut him. Either way, they pay the salary.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #221
QuikSand
lolzcat

The theory of "wasting a roster space" on Davis is muted substantially by looking at what the Orioles are actually committing for rosters spaces 22, 23, and 24 this year. It's not like there's legit talent missing out because of him remaining. (The contract yes, but not the roster spot)

Soon after Davis got his huge contract, I dropped a little bit into a presentation I was making to Maryland finance officers. I was doing a "Maryland by the numbers" schtick where I would mention a number, let people guess what it meant, and then the reveal lead to a point I was trying to make about the budget, politics, or whatever. I said something like $291,915" and the room obviously went crickets... so I said "that's what the O's are probably paying Chris Davis for each RBI he will produce over the seven years of his contract." I meant it as a slight, and a deliberate chuckle amidst a number-heavy presentation, but in retrospect, I was dizzyingly optimistic.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Best part is the O's are cutting him a check thru 2040 or something. 42 million of his salary was in deferrals.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #223
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Isn't he at the point where he can refuse assignment to the minors?

Definitely.

We don't know for sure he's refused that assignment with the Orioles but most of their fans seem to think he has.

The guy's sticking around for the money, he's not going to slum it with AAA (or lower) facilities and catering if he doesn't have to. The only upside to that would be possibly improving and finding some semblance of productivity, but, I don't think he cares much about that.

Last edited by molson : 04-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #224
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think they are waiting until there is someone they can reasonably stick in the outfield. New OFer comes up, Mancini loves to 1B, his primary position, and Davis sits.

One thing I love about sports are the big history making moments. They don't have to be positive moments. In a sports sense what he is doing is historic. Let him keep going. If I was him, I would try to make it a positive. Donate to charity the longer it lasts or something.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #225
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The theory of "wasting a roster space" on Davis is muted substantially by looking at what the Orioles are actually committing for rosters spaces 22, 23, and 24 this year. It's not like there's legit talent missing out because of him remaining. (The contract yes, but not the roster spot)

But it frees up space for Mancini to move back to 1B and open an OF spot for one of several prospects when they're deemed ready.

And seems like one of the better options - thin though the hope might be - to get Davis on something that at least resembles "on track"
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Isn't he at the point where he can refuse assignment to the minors? My baseball knowledge is severely colored by OOTP but I think the team's options are to keep him on the MLB 25-man roster or cut him. Either way, they pay the salary.

He can, but it's unclear whether he would (he's said something along the lines of "open to all options" that might help).

One of my readings this morning suggested that possibility wasn't in play because the club didn't want to expose him to waivers (?!?!?!?!?!) and I was thinking "are you INSANE?"
Old 04-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #227
spleen1015
Coordinator

Over on an Orioles board I read, they pull out all of these stats. Some crap like based on the exit velocity and launch angle of the balls he's put in play, he's a .151 hitter this year. Then someone says "Okay, he just needs to go 10 for his next 34 to get to .151".

Hello! Do you really think a guy who is 0 for his last 53 is going to go 10 for 34?

He's declined every year for the last 3 years. .262 to .221 to .215 to .168. He hasn't been a major leaguer for the last 2 seasons. That's not going to change.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #228
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hello! Do you really think a guy who is 0 for his last 53 is going to go 10 for 34?

Not to suggest this is the path Davis is capable of taking, but after Tony Bernazard went 0 for 44 in 1984 with the Indians, he got 12 hits in his next 36 at bats.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #229
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Not to suggest this is the path Davis is capable of taking, but after Tony Bernazard went 0 for 44 in 1984 with the Indians, he got 12 hits in his next 36 at bats.
Tony Bernazard batted .265 the season before and .262 for his career...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #230
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Tony Bernazard batted .265 the season before and .262 for his career...

Still "a guy".
Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #231
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The streak is over! It was fun to watch the dugouts reaction.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #232
Jas_lov
College Starter

And Davis got an RBI double in his 2nd AB. 2 for his last 2!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #233
PilotMan
Head Coach

He's well on his way to a .100 average!

Like Steam?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #234
Logan
Head Coach

Mickey Callaway's bullpen usage is going to give me an aneurysm. If the team's agreed upon strategy is that Diaz will only be used for a max of one inning, I can accept it even if I think it's stupid.

But after not going to him last night in the 8th inning of a one run game, bases loaded, your pen has already imploded, Bryce Harper and 4/5 is still to come, your rationale cannot be "we will not use him to get 4 outs. We will use him for 3 outs."

How about using him to just get ONE OUT you complete imbecile???

You can't be willing to accept the 9th inning being meaningless because you didn't use your best reliever in the highest leverage situation possible, while also worrying about your best reliever's ability to come back in another inning.

Last edited by Logan : 04-16-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #235
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Mickey Callaway's bullpen usage is going to give me an aneurysm. If the team's agreed upon strategy is that Diaz will only be used for a max of one inning, I can accept it even if I think it's stupid.

But after not going to him last night in the 8th inning of a one run game, bases loaded, your pen has already imploded, Bryce Harper and 4/5 is still to come, your rationale cannot be "we will not use him to get 4 outs. We will use him for 3 outs."

How about using him to just get ONE OUT you complete imbecile???

You can't be willing to accept the 9th inning being meaningless because you didn't use your best reliever in the highest leverage situation possible, while also worrying about your best reliever's ability to come back in another inning.

Watching the bullpen in general has been impossible. They are major league pitchers, throw strikes and let the guys behind you catch the ball.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #236
Logan
Head Coach

Familia has absolutely no idea where the ball is going.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #237
lungs
Pro Rookie

Cardinal fans have to be getting sick of Christian Yelich.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Watching the bullpen in general has been impossible. They are major league pitchers, throw strikes and let the guys behind you catch the ball.

Nobody in Atlanta could imagine a more inept bullpen ... and then we discover that it's the best (well, most effective thus far) in the division through this past Sunday.

That's mind boggling.

Whadda we need? Contraction.
When do we need it? Now.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #239
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

You would think they would quit pitching to him.

But he is on my fantasy team so I’m okay with it. 😀

Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #240
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

That guy is a freaking machine, especially against us.

At some point you have to stop pitching to him.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #241
JPhillips
General Manager

Fangraphs looked at alternatives to the MLB draft and this from Japan is intriguing.

Quote:
In Japan, the NPB’s draft begins with every team simultaneously nominating a player. If a player is nominated by only one team, that team is awarded the rights to negotiate a contract with him. However, if a player is picked by multiple teams, that player is considered “contested.” All the teams that nominated the contested player are entered into a random draw, and the winning team is awarded the rights to negotiate with that player. The teams that did not win the negotiating rights to a contested player then draft again until every team has drafted a player.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #242
BYU 14
Coordinator

Yankees are 2 days into the week without any new injuries, that has to be closing in on a season high.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #243
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Fangraphs looked at alternatives to the MLB draft and this from Japan is intriguing.

That is insane, and I love it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gotta draft fantasy football japan style
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #245
tarcone
Coordinator

Wainwright got 150th win today. All with the Cardinals.

Seems like he should have more. But pretty darn impressive.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #246
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wainwright got 150th win today. All with the Cardinals.

Seems like he should have more. But pretty darn impressive.

I get so happy when he has a good game, the guy is total class.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #247
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's early but Cost Bellinger looks fantastic
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #248
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He's still the worst player in the majors, but I do feel obligated to point out that after going 0 for 53, Chris Davis is now 10 for his last 29.

Baseball's a weird game.

Last edited by Shkspr : 04-28-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #249
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fun trivia I saw today:

At 20 years, 45 days old, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. can become the youngest Blue Jays player to hit his 1st career Home Run.

Who currently holds the franchise record (20 years, 77 days)?

Spoiler

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-30-2019 at 03:21 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #250
tarcone
Coordinator

That was a fun trivia question. And surprising.