Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

RIP Mike Flanagan

Found dead on his property in Maryland...no other details that i can find.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No additional details yet, but this article includes things like the career numbers for the Cy Young Award winning Orioles great.
Orioles great Mike Flanagan found dead, according to reports

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dang.

Watching MASN now - crew understandably devastated.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

That sucks. I remember watching him pitch toward the end of his career, and I was amazed that this guy was still getting guys out throwing pitches that were in the 55 MPH range. RIP Mike, RIP.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Damn.

He was the SP for the Orioles when I went to see my first game in 1986.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Local talk is he took his own life, very sad.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not only that, but that he did it because he was upset that the Orioles community partially blamed him for their losing ways when he was co-President or whatever that bizarre situation was when he was in the front office. That's awful.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I can't say he and Jim Beattie made the best GM-team. The fact that they were co-GMs is almost laughable (the concept, anyway). However, it's my understanding that their hands were very tied by Angelos during their tenure and that he has since loosened the grips (though McPhail hasn't really done much either, though I will say, what CAN you do when your team refuses to scout/sign undrafted free agents).

Still, if part of his depression centered on the sorry state of the O's and his inability to right the ship - I really hope Angelos feels the pain of this. Angelos created this whole mess - letting Davey Johnson go, letting Jon Miller go (yeah, I know he's just a broadcaster, but it's symptomatic of the situation), and most importantly his refusal to spend $10 million a year on any player/pitcher, which led to Mike Mussina becoming a Yankee.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

Any smart, reasonable Orioles knows Angelos is the reason they suck.

To think otherwise is moronic, IMO.

The silver lining of Mussina being a Yankee is that they never won the WS while he was there.

RIP Flanny.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is awful. Mike Flanagan was one of those guys that was synonymous with my growing love for baseball as a kid. Not that he stood out I mean, but throwing his name out there, it just brings back good memories like with many players from when I was a kid. Sad to see him go, and to go in the manner it appears he did.

Angelos is a tool. You don't even need to be an O's fan to know that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Local talk is he took his own life, very sad.

Just heard on radio that it was "self-inflicted gunshot wound".
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Angelos is a tool. You don't even need to be an O's fan to know that.

Not to change the topic, but can you help me with something? What does "tool" mean here? I always thought it meant someone who's used by someone else, but I've seen it used in this capacity many times. Can you help me out here?
how do you know?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Not to change the topic, but can you help me with something? What does "tool" mean here? I always thought it meant someone who's used by someone else, but I've seen it used in this capacity many times. Can you help me out here?

On this context: Penis.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Terps
College Prospect

R.I.P. Flanny
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
On this context: Penis.

What he said. Jackass. Dick. Fucktard. There are various terms that apply, but the general idea is that Angelos is intentionally a prick and a bastard.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks, guys. He's the very definition.
how do you know?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

A very strange story developing, it would seem. I read this morning he got a phone call and then was "deeply disturbed about his financial future." His broadcast partners said he was looking forward to the Yankee series this weekend.

He was alone at home and his body was so damaged his neighbor (who found it) could not be sure it was Flanagan.

I'll be watching the O's pregame tonight (usually pablum, but not as repulsive as the Nats one with that atrocious Johnny Holiday) to see if it is merely a tribute show or tells more.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can't imagine they would get into anything remotely controversial or speculative, especially if it's negative about him, on a pregame show.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can't imagine they would get into anything remotely controversial or speculative, especially if it's negative about him, on a pregame show.

that's my point, how uncomfortable will they be skirting around the elephant in the room?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote