Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Titan Quest (Diablo Clone)

I downloaded and played through the demo over the weekend for Titan Quest. It's basically a Diablo clone with 3D graphics and a mythological theme. I found it pretty entertaining and will probably pick it up once it comes out. About the only thing I didn't like about the game was that you couldn't rotate the camera view. Not a game killer for me, but a minor annoyance. If you like Diablo clones, I'd suggest checking this one out.

Last edited by Bee : 05-15-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

The game is out now and I'll probably pick it up on the way home today. Early reviews have been pretty positive. Tom Chick gave it a 4.5/5 and his tastes tend to be similar to mine. The wife's gone until Saturday night as well, so I'll actually have some time to play the game.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bee, are you enjoying the game?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

I love Diablo. I might have to check this one out.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

The demo is great. I'll be getting it this friday.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

It's the best Diablo style game I've played since Diablo (and I've tried most of them). I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game and haven't gotten tired of playing which is unusual for me.

Yesterday my wife (who generally doesn't play computer games despite my best efforts) started a character and ended up playing for about 6 hours straight after saying she would just try it out. I just bought another copy so we can play multiplayer together over our LAN.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is no random dungeons which may hurt replaying it at higher levels, but something that I hope makes up for that is the game comes with a mod builder. I'm hoping a community develops that will design new adventures for download. If that happens, I think this will become a regular game in my gaming rotation especially if the wife continues to enjoy it and doesn't grow bored.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
aran
High School Varsity

I hope this game isn't $50 off the shelf. I've been looking for a mindless-ish game to play with friends when I go back to college and this seems to fit the bill better than the mediocre Dungeon Siege 2.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
I hope this game isn't $50 off the shelf. I've been looking for a mindless-ish game to play with friends when I go back to college and this seems to fit the bill better than the mediocre Dungeon Siege 2.

I thought DS2 was a great game, but I can understand why people would think that it was mediocre.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
hoopsguy
General Manager

It is listing for 45-50 right now, which is a little more than I'm looking to pay for it unless there is really good buzz from the people playing it right now.

I had fun with DS2 - much more than with the first one. But I didn't have much desire to go back and replay it with a different character or on a harder difficulty level.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
chinaski
College Prospect

I picked it up and logged about 10 hours with the game so far. Its fun, nothing groundbreaking; but it works as great gaming methadone to get me off of FM2006. I think im going to hold off playing until the patch comes out tho, it has a random character corruption problem thats really starting to bug me.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Bah! I'd like to pick this up but its a choice between shelling $40.00 on that or towards books for summer school.....hmmm decisions, decisions.....
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
I picked it up and logged about 10 hours with the game so far. Its fun, nothing groundbreaking; but it works as great gaming methadone to get me off of FM2006. I think im going to hold off playing until the patch comes out tho, it has a random character corruption problem thats really starting to bug me.

Yep, definitely nothing groundbreaking...but that's fine with me. It's basically Diablo using the mythology of Greece, Egypt and China.

I guess I've been lucky and haven't had any random character corruptions. In fact, the only problem I've had was one disconnection in multiplayer. No crashes, no corruptions problems, etc (although I've seen that stuff reported on the official boards). At this point, I've put in about 30 hours in single player and another 10 hours in multiplayer. I love having a new game during a holiday weekend!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

There's a mod out for the game that adds a few things that are nice. Allows potions to stack to more than 5 in an inventory slot and the ability to add relics to blue/purple items. I think the mod is called the enhanced experience mod version 4.0. I didn't save a link, but you can find it over at the official boards in the general discussion area.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gothic 3 has been a bit of a disappointment (sorry Buc, although I do think I will get back to it once an expansion or another patch or two come out. I've hit a few other quests that appear to me to be bugged besides the hungry wolves quest and it is growing frustrating.)

So, I found myself searching the board for other RPG's that I haven't played. I've never really gotten into Diablo, but reading some reviews out there and thoughts on here have interested me in this game. I realize it is vastly different than Gothic 3 or Oblivion, but I think it will tickle my RPG itch for now. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the price has dropped to 19.99 at my local gamestop. So, I'll probably pick it up on the way home from work tonight. Just thought I'd share that it is down to 19.99 for anyone else who was intrigued by the game in the past.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Gothic 3 has been a bit of a disappointment (sorry Buc, although I do think I will get back to it once an expansion or another patch or two come out. I've hit a few other quests that appear to me to be bugged besides the hungry wolves quest and it is growing frustrating.)

So, I found myself searching the board for other RPG's that I haven't played. I've never really gotten into Diablo, but reading some reviews out there and thoughts on here have interested me in this game. I realize it is vastly different than Gothic 3 or Oblivion, but I think it will tickle my RPG itch for now. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the price has dropped to 19.99 at my local gamestop. So, I'll probably pick it up on the way home from work tonight. Just thought I'd share that it is down to 19.99 for anyone else who was intrigued by the game in the past.

Diablo? Or Diablo 2 with expansion?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

If you loved Dungeon Siege, your going to love Titan Quest.

Can't wait for your impressions.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Diablo? Or Diablo 2 with expansion?

Uhmm, I'm talking about Titan Quest. I only mentioned Diablo, because of the title of this thread which mentions it is a diablo clone. Also, most reviews say it is a Diablo 2 clone, except that it is generally better executed.

Edited to add: I've tried Diablo and Diablo 2 and didn't really get into them, but I'm willing to take a chance that I'll like this game better since it is only 19.99.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-23-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Uhmm, I'm talking about Titan Quest. I only mentioned Diablo, because of the title of this thread which mentions it is a diablo clone. Also, most reviews say it is a Diablo 2 clone, except that it is generally better executed.

Oh ok, gotcha.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #19
Axxon
Pro Starter

Titan Quest is a lot of fun but the story is really short.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Titan Quest is a lot of fun but the story is really short.

The expansion comes out on 3/5, and will add 8 new classes, 10 new character levels, lots of new items, monsters, etc., and about 15-20 more hours of gameplay.

I loved Titan Quest (even my wife did), and will definitely be buying the expansion.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
The expansion comes out on 3/5, and will add 8 new classes, 10 new character levels, lots of new items, monsters, etc., and about 15-20 more hours of gameplay.

I loved Titan Quest (even my wife did), and will definitely be buying the expansion.

I'll definitely buy it. It may be too short too but there are the add ons and the game is fun.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I enjoyed titan quest so far that I have played it. I only play it for like 2-4 hours every 2 months or so though mostly due to time restraints. I would fully say if you liked DIablo II, you will like it. If you didn't like Diablo II, you won't like it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm still waiting for a completely random AD&D universe computer game.

I want to find randonized dungeons and trek acros unexplored lands and have it all done on the fly like a real RPG should be.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #24
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

I want to find randonized dungeons and trek acros unexplored lands and have it all done on the fly like a real RPG should be.

I think there are a few shareware games like that. Your best bet is to PM Antmeister.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
hoopsguy
General Manager

Add me to the list that enjoyed Titan Quest, although I couldn't muster the excitement level to go through it multiple times in single player with different classes.

However, if someone is looking to play multi-player at some point (Alan T - we have talked about this in the past) I would be happy to fire this game up again and give it a go. Ideally starting with new characters instead of some of the ones I've played with in the past.

I'll also take the plunge on the expansion shortly after release.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure why, but I'm enjoying this game much more than I ever enjoyed Diablo or Diablo 2. It could be that I tried both of those games several years after they had come out and the graphics were dated, while this is a good looking game. However, I don't think that is it. I don't think it is the character development system, because it seems very similar from what I remember of Diablo 2's development system. I am a fan of the setting, although the story clearly isn't the game's main point. I think the biggest factor might be that the "rebirth fountains" which act as save points are much closer together than Diablo 2, so I could play this in shorter bursts if I want without having to backtrack. Shrug. Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying this game much more than I enjoyed Diablo 1 or 2.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #27
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure why, but I'm enjoying this game much more than I ever enjoyed Diablo or Diablo 2. It could be that I tried both of those games several years after they had come out and the graphics were dated, while this is a good looking game. However, I don't think that is it. I don't think it is the character development system, because it seems very similar from what I remember of Diablo 2's development system. I am a fan of the setting, although the story clearly isn't the game's main point. I think the biggest factor might be that the "rebirth fountains" which act as save points are much closer together than Diablo 2, so I could play this in shorter bursts if I want without having to backtrack. Shrug. Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying this game much more than I enjoyed Diablo 1 or 2.

Are you enjoying it more than Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 also?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Are you enjoying it more than Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 also?

Can't answer for EF but I liked it as much but not more than either of those games. They're all fun if you like the genre. I liked the character development better though. The gameplay of DS2 was better and the add ons make DS1 better in that area though I haven't checked the TQ mods in a while so that may have equalled out.

I'd say if you like any of these games, you won't be disappointed with any of the others. I'll add one I don't hear mentioned often. Sacred was a pretty fun game and it is huge. HUGE I tell you. It's discount bin now and would be worth a look.

Also there is the shareware game FATE which easily has gotten as much or even more play from me for some reason. No real story, simpler player development but just simply fun.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Reading hoopsguy's new dynasty led me to this thread which led me to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

Did you ever find it, RendeR?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's not D&D, but Dwarf Fortress is supposed to be close.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #31
MikeVic
Head Coach

Castle of the Winds 2.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Reading hoopsguy's new dynasty led me to this thread which led me to this post:

Did you ever find it, RendeR?

No.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #33
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Add me to the list that enjoyed Titan Quest, although I couldn't muster the excitement level to go through it multiple times in single player with different classes.

However, if someone is looking to play multi-player at some point (Alan T - we have talked about this in the past) I would be happy to fire this game up again and give it a go. Ideally starting with new characters instead of some of the ones I've played with in the past.

I'll also take the plunge on the expansion shortly after release.

Well, with the expansion I think I can retract this comment. I've now started my second dynasty thread on the game and it is one of very few games that made the journey over from my last computer to this one.

Between my old PC and this one I'm now on my 7th alt, with the first six all having advanced to somewhere between Levels 30-55. 7th one is at level 6 and being chronicled in the Dynasty forum.

Very fun game. I've enjoyed this quite a bit more than the more recently released Hellgate:London and I expect this will stay in the rotation at least until Diablo 3 is released (next year? hopefully).
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #34
JPhillips
General Manager

I've been playing the hell out of TQ recently. I've got a Earth/Dream combo player to about level 20.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

hmmm... I might have to peal the shrink wrap off this game then. I've been wanting a Diablo type game to play and had got this, but put it to the side a year or so ago.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #36
Schmidty
Coordinator

My wife and I still play TQ. Very entertaining, mindless fun.

It makes me even more pumped for Diablo 3.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hoops told me way back when how to get this game, but I can't recall where.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
My wife and I still play TQ. Very entertaining, mindless fun.

It makes me even more pumped for Diablo 3.

My wife and I have started playing co-op again now that I've got an upgraded machine that can handle it better.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #39
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Hoops told me way back when how to get this game, but I can't recall where.

Steam has it right now I believe.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #40
hoopsguy
General Manager

Both Steam and Direct Download are options. I originally purchased both in stores, but misplaced my "Play" disc for the expansion (Immortal Throne) so I picked up Direct Download for Immortal Throne for $15. I think it was $20 for the bundle (game + expansion) on both Steam and Direct Download last weekend.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #41
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sat down and played this for 2-3 hours last night, pretty good Diablo clone. The only thing that is frustrating is the seemingly limited inventory space. Does that ever increase?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #42
JPhillips
General Manager

At level ten and twenty you get more space. You can also buy more caravan space in towns.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #43
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I only have a copy of the Original, so no Immortal Throne for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #44
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I purchased via steam but can't download until I get home (work filter!)
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #45
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I only have a copy of the Original, so no Immortal Throne for me.

Purchase IT through DownloadDirect. $15, and it does add a lot of nice improvements throughout the game.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #46
Danny
Head Coach

Hmmm, might have to try this at some point. Is it better or worse than Diablo overall?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #47
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, a couple of things to keep in mind. The original Diablo is really old, and Diablo 2 is pretty dated now as well. The expansion pack for Titan Quest is also two years old, so it is new compared to the Diablo games but it is hardly cutting edge stuff right now.

That said, I think this game is at least as replayable as Diablo 2. I think the game + expansion pack gives you a lot of play for the money even if you only go through it with one character and never touch it again from that point on. I'm guessing you have 50-75 hours of single player storyline.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #48
General Mike
Pro Starter

I cheated to beat this game. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #49
Calis
College Starter

I really loved the skill system in Titan Quest. It kept most of the lower tier skills still viable in the endgame and the options of combining two trees really opened things up.

I think as far as level design and such it was a pretty big step down from Diablo, especially after the first Act. I thought they seemed pretty stale and just didn't grab me the way Diablo did. I can't really put a finger on it exactly, but it was missing something.

It's still the best Diablo clone out there, and at this stage I'd recommend it over Diablo 2 because of age. I highly recommend the expansion immediately if you get it. It's not something that just adds things later in the game or for people who already played. It adds several very handy features from the start and adds a new tree(which is probably my favorite).

I actually recently bought this game a 2nd time just to get it on Steam when they had a recent sale.

Sacred 2 is another possibility if you're looking for this type of game. I've bought it but didn't dive into it too much. It didn't strike me as wonderful, but I know a few people who really loved it. It definitely outdoes the others in openness and sheer size. It's a huge world and pretty open-ended as far as travelling.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #50
path12
Coordinator

I like this game a bunch, but there's one certain spot that I just can't get past to save my life and I get frustrated and put it back away.