Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

fender bender in a rental car or How Screwed am I?

So I rent a car for a bit of a road trip, and we manage to back into a bit of a pole. Actually a giant pole painted Bright neon orange so people won't hit it. We initially think we have just scraped some paint off the pole, but further investigation reveals a bit of a dent on the rear quarter panel. I declined the Loss Damage Waiver at the rental agency because my Credit Card provides the same coverage.

The car was not being used improperly in any way, and the driver was an authorized driver in accordance with the rental agreement.

I've knew someone who once totaled a rental, and they were effectively banned from renting from any of the major vendors for a good length of time.

I'm just wondering how big of a hassle this is gonna be.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

How bad is the dent? Do you have to look hard to see it? If it is hard to notice, just turn it in.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
miked
College Starter

Depends on your insurance. Usually, your credit card is secondary to your insurance...so if you have a good policy, it should be covered and no problem. If you have like a $500 deductible or something, you are most likely out some cash. I got into an accident once where I hit a rear fender going like 25 mph...and his insurance company charged mine over $800 for a new fender. So depending on your policy you could be out some cash.
miked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

ALWAYS GET THE INSURANCE!

Then, no matter what happens you can always say..."eh, it's just a rental."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-16-2005 at 06:35 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I've driven a rental car into a creekbed and done $3000 worth of damage to it, and didn't have the rental insurance. I just got my regular insurance to pay it, and no harm done. I've never had any consequences with rental companies either.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Your insurance should cover it minus the deductible. Shouldn't be any more hassle than a normal accident.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

All their insurance does is pay your deductible, with your personal insurance picking up everything that it normally would. It is how rental car companies make a lot of their money, because they sell it at a pretty high clip, and usually, at worst, they are out $250-$500.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I turned the car back in today, and boy the parking lot attendant gave me the Evil Eye in a big way. He then rushed in ahead of my apparently to make sure I reported the damage.

I did learn that it might actually not cost me or my insurance company, or my credit card anything, because one of my friends was driving. He was listed as a driver, so all of the coverages are still in affect. So while it may not cost me much, it will still affect him. I'm hoping not too much. My first thought was that it might have been simpler to just say I was driving without complicating stuff, then in researching the process I found that all of the insurance provisions would still apply. So in the end I decided to list him as the driver, as there was really no point in lying about it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 AM   #9
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

So the dent definately was big enough. You did the right thing. Little nicks and stuff aren't a big deal (usually).

I've always been split on the coverages. Depends on what they're charging and how much I'm paying for the car. Given that I usually rent on American Express and have good insurance, I would rather pay the deductible should something happen.

I always check my rentals thoroughly before leaving, noting even the tiniest scratch, because I don't want to risk the rental car company pulling a fast one.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
All their insurance does is pay your deductible, with your personal insurance picking up everything that it normally would. It is how rental car companies make a lot of their money, because they sell it at a pretty high clip, and usually, at worst, they are out $250-$500.

This is not necesarily true. Most states do not require you to get comprehensive insurance, they require you to get liability. If you do not have comprehensive insurance, then if you damage your own car in a one car accident, damage to your car is not covered. When you rent a car, your coverages are generally transferred to the rental car, so if you do not have comprehensive coverage, and you damage the rental car, you are on the hook. The Loss Damage Waiver would cover it that damage.

But, you are right in that purchasing any of the coverages you already have for your own vehicles would indeed be an incredible rip off.