Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #451
kingfc22
Head Coach

Horrendous non-call followed up by horrendous pass by Curry.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #452
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Horrendous non-call followed up by horrendous pass by Curry.
Agree... but he did plant himself in the key for about 6 seconds before the foul.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #453
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess there are no superstar calls in Adam Silver's NBA. Not that I would try that again if I were the Warriors.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #454
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

"He traveled before that but that is clearly a foul."

Doesn't the first part of that sentence pretty much negate the rest of it...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #455
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Guess he should have taken a jumper.

Edit: pure sarcasm by the way. I like this choice much better but I'm sure the media will ask him 30 times about it.

It's almost like he knows the officials will allow the opposing team to hack him in those situations so 'settling' becomes the higher percentage play
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #456
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They never call traveling. This isn't Jr High
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #457
kingfc22
Head Coach

JR Smith so good
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #458
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kobe Curry
Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #459
Galaril
Pro Starter

Man these refs . I don't have horse here and hate both teams but wow lots of whistle swallowing especially against the Cavs....oh and Reid shit man��

Last edited by Galaril : 06-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #460
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did you just drop a JR Reid?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #461
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They never call traveling. This isn't Jr High

They should...
Old 06-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #462
bhlloy
Coordinator

Same old NBA. Garbage refs
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #463
kingfc22
Head Coach

Draymond Green is one of those guys who you absolutely love if he's on your team and just despise if he's not.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #464
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Same old NBA. Garbage refs

Especially considering those two misses were quite apparent, but yeah, bullshit.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #465
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Welp if it comes down to Blatt vs Kerr it's already over
Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #466
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #467
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eat a dick Scott Foster
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #468
nol
Banned

At the very least these two games should quiet the whole "but LeBron played in the East" reaction to his 5 finals in a row.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #469
kingfc22
Head Coach

At least we get one extra game to watch JR Smith's brilliant basketball mind on display.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #470
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eat a dick Scott Foster

Touch of Tourette's?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #471
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Touch of Tourette's?

Yeah a touch, but not enough to get called for a foul
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #472
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Welp, Foster and Brothers can now start their vacation because they should be done for the finals.

All this game proved is James will never be Jordan because Jordan would have gotten the calls and it's become obvious that James is not going to get them.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #473
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
All this game proved is James will never be Jordan because Jordan would have gotten the calls and it's become obvious that James is not going to get them.

Have you been watching the NBA for the last decade? They got burned on a few calls late but Lebron gets a way with 5-6 offensive fouls every game just because he's Lebron. Jordan couldn't dream of a free throw rate that Lebron and most stars in the NBA today receive.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #474
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Have you been watching the NBA for the last decade? They got burned on a few calls late but Lebron gets a way with 5-6 offensive fouls every game just because he's Lebron. Jordan couldn't dream of a free throw rate that Lebron and most stars in the NBA today receive.

Uh, the most famous play of Jordan's career is an offensive foul. It happens. Also Jordan shoots just as many free throws per 100 possessions as LeBron, Harden, Westbrook, or any other modern player people complain about getting too many calls.

Last edited by nol : 06-07-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #475
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Free throw attempts per game season career

Jordan 8.2
James 8.5

Free throw attempts per game playoffs career

Jordan 9.9
James 7.3

Last edited by JPhillips : 06-07-2015 at 10:37 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #476
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Nope, never seen a Nba game over the past 90 years. But stats say Jordan averaged more fts in the playoffs and averaged 8.7 fts a game with the bulls (not counting wiz years). James is 8.5 and below 8 each of the past 3 seasons.

Jordan would have gotten the call when the defender missed the ball by a foot and came across both arms under the goal.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #477
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Free throw attempts per game season career

Jordan 8.2
James 8.5

Free throw attempts per game playoffs career

Jordan 9.9
James 7.3

Jordan shot the ball much more.

Regular Season Free Throw Rate
Jordan - .358
Lebron - .428

Playoff Free Throw Rate
Jordan - .393
Lebron - .462
Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #478
cuervo72
Head Coach

So uh, where's the little girl tonight?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #479
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Nope, never seen a Nba game over the past 90 years. But stats say Jordan averaged more fts in the playoffs and averaged 8.7 fts a game with the bulls (not counting wiz years). James is 8.5 and below 8 each of the past 3 seasons.

Jordan would have gotten the call when the defender missed the ball by a foot and came across both arms under the goal.

Stats show Lebron has a much higher free throw rate than Jordan. Like it's not even close.

Heck, guys like Paul Pierce crush Jordan when it comes to getting to the line.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #480
stevew
Hall Of Famer

She got.....

(Oh wrong thread)
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #481
nol
Banned

Quote:
Jordan shot the ball much more.

Regular Season Free Throw Rate
Jordan - .358
Lebron - .428

Playoff Free Throw Rate
Jordan - .393
Lebron - .462

James shoots over 50% of his shots within 10 feet of the basket. Data on shot distance isn't available until the last 2 years of Jordan's career with the Wizards. During those two seasons fewer than 25% of his shots were from that close, and not coincidentally those were the two seasons with his lowest free throw rate. In his earlier seasons (when he presumably went to the basket more), his free throw rate was indeed on par with any other modern player, and that isn't even getting into the fact that teams in Jordan's era had to send a hard double team at a good offensive player whereas modern NBA teams can stunt with all sorts of semi-zone defenses.

Last edited by nol : 06-07-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #482
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
James shoots over 50% of his shots within 10 feet of the basket. Data on shot distance isn't available until the last 2 years of Jordan's career with the Wizards. During those two seasons fewer than 25% of his shots were from that close, and not coincidentally those were the two seasons with his lowest free throw rate. In his earlier seasons (when he presumably went to the basket more), his free throw rate was indeed on par with any other modern player, and that isn't even getting into the fact that teams in Jordan's era had to send a hard double team at a good offensive player whereas modern NBA teams can stunt with all sorts of semi-zone defenses.

His best FTr seasons were basically average Lebron James FTr seasons. Jordan relentlessly attacked the rim early in his career as he didn't have a strong jumper. This idea that him and the Bulls got preferential treatment over modern players is statistically false. The Bulls were near the bottom of the league in free throws during many of those championship seasons.

One thing we can probably agree on is that Jordan wouldn't have been called for a travel on that play either. That's one thing stars get the benefit of the doubt on.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #483
nol
Banned

Quote:
His best FTr seasons were basically average Lebron James FTr seasons. Jordan relentlessly attacked the rim early in his career as he didn't have a strong jumper. This idea that him and the Bulls got preferential treatment over modern players is statistically false. The Bulls were near the bottom of the league in free throws during many of those championship seasons.

One thing we can probably agree on is that Jordan wouldn't have been called for a travel on that play either. That's one thing stars get the benefit of the doubt on.

Right, a player 2 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier is going to have an easier time getting to the basket. The point is that Jordan got the exact same 'star' treatment (which is probably the exact reason some old fart used to say 'Jordan will never be as good as Magic or Bird') that any other good offensive player has gotten.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #484
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The point is that Jordan got the exact same 'star' treatment (which is probably the exact reason some old fart used to say 'Jordan will never be as good as Magic or Bird') that any other good offensive player has gotten.

He was going to the line at a lower rate than guys like Mario Elie and Hersey Hawkins. He was right around where Terry Porter was.

You can keep arguing that he was getting all these foul calls, but the numbers don't back it up. It was above average for a wing back then, but not exceptional. Stars today go to the line much more frequently despite less free throws being attempted in the league.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #485
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean the NBA actually changed the rules for traveling so that Lebron could continue to do his signature move.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #486
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So who had the uglier game, Steph Curry or the refs? Missed calls everywhere, for both teams. The non-call on Iguodala mugging LeBron probably the most egregious, but there were tons of missed calls on both sides. I think just as bad as the missed calls was the complete inconsistency in the calls.

Dellavedova should get a lot of credit for making Steph uncomfortable, but that was just an ugly game. -10 in rebounds and -5 in turnovers is bad.

Should the Cavs be worried that it took an historically awful game from Golden State for them to win? And that it went to OT anyway? And if the Warriors could have secured a rebound with 10 seconds left in OT, they would have lost?

Nothing is going to be easy about winning this series, but I can't feel too disappointed in my team when their superstar was atrocious, the role players were largely invisible, and they still only lost by 2 in overtime.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #487
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think anyone thinks the Cavs can win. Best team since the '98 bulls vs LeBron and Gerry McNamaras
Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 AM   #488
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks the Cavs can win. Best team since the '98 bulls vs LeBron and Gerry McNamaras

I don't know, they sort of have an identity now. Play tough defense and crush the Warriors on the glass. I don't know if they can continue to keep the Warriors down offensively that long, but they certainly hung with the Warriors in Oracle without a problem.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #489
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean I wouldn't bet on it happening but that's two straight games they played the Warriors tough. Kyrie has been on one leg most of the playoffs and they've played well. Maybe the Cavs are just an elite defensive team now that has Lebron try and be great enough offensively to grind out a win.

It's a fascinating win and makes this series interesting.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-08-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #490
RainMaker
General Manager

I also think you're really selling Thompson short. He's a max contract player. Best big man in this series so far. Crushed the Warriors on the offensive glass and I thought was brilliant defensively.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:31 AM   #491
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I get that math wise he'll get the max and the max this year will be better than if we had to pay him max on a 90M cap.

He'd be dynamic if he was taller.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #492
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The refs just blew it in this game. Both ways.

https://www.facebook.com/notrealwshh...2772324553945/
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #493
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I mean I wouldn't bet on it happening but that's two straight games they played the Warriors tough. Kyrie has been on one leg most of the playoffs and they've played well. Maybe the Cavs are just an elite defensive team now that has Lebron try and be great enough offensively to grind out a win.

It's a fascinating win and makes this series interesting.

The number that I think isn't getting enough attention is 26.

That's the number of minutes the Warriors have had the lead in regulation games 1 and 2 against a team that (1) doesn't have a their B or C option and (2) is seen as a pile of junk + LeBron that can't win a game. Also the Warriors with a longer bench are playing their starters more than the Cavs right now.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #494
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The refs just blew it in this game. Both ways.

https://www.facebook.com/notrealwshh...2772324553945/

I don't think that compares with the two no-calls on LeBron that could've /should've sealed the game.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #495
Groundhog
Coordinator

The danger with 3pt focused teams is obviously the old 'live and die by the three' thing, which is what ended up hurting the Warriors last year. This year they've had the depth to find other options when Klay and Curry aren't hitting, but they seem to have gone away from that at times these playoffs, which is just lack of experience. Doesn't help that Green really hasn't looked much like an offensive threat though, despite his work on D.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #496
nol
Banned

Quote:
He was going to the line at a lower rate than guys like Mario Elie and Hersey Hawkins. He was right around where Terry Porter was.

You can keep arguing that he was getting all these foul calls, but the numbers don't back it up. It was above average for a wing back then, but not exceptional. Stars today go to the line much more frequently despite less free throws being attempted in the league.

What do you mean the numbers don't back it up? You just flat-out lied about the other players who didn't get to the line nearly as often as Jordan. It's pretty bizarre to single out James, who has never led all wing players in free throw attempts, let alone the entire league as Jordan once did.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #497
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #498
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What do you mean the numbers don't back it up? You just flat-out lied about the other players who didn't get to the line nearly as often as Jordan. It's pretty bizarre to single out James, who has never led all wing players in free throw attempts, let alone the entire league as Jordan once did.

Next argument will be that James is a ball hog even though Jordan averaged 23.3 shots a game versus 19.8.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #499
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Delladova went to St. Mary's. Notable only because St. Mary's is a freaking basketball powerhouse in my primary FBCB career. Nice to see life imitate art.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #500
Groundhog
Coordinator

Patty Mills attended St Mary's too. They have a pipeline with the Aussie junior sporting academy (AIS) and typically have one or so Aussies per recruiting class.