Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #401
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, unfortunately from everything I've read, it is the coach that calls the audibles. I agree it would be great if QB's audibled on their own if you gave them permission to do so.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #402
scooper
College Benchwarmer

That would be sweet. If the OC can call plays unassisted, why not allow your QB to audible? That would add one more coaching aspect to the game. If you don't spend enough classroom and/or practice time with your QB, allowing him to call plays would backfire.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #403
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This has got to be close to "gold" status by now. I hope they worked out the bugs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #404
SegRat
High School Varsity

Gametrailers.com has a new video up. No new info, just coaches talking about motivation.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #405
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

About a half dozen new screens up on EA's site:

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach...ia=screenshots

I placed my pre-order on Sunday. I asked the clerk and he said they have about 15 pre-orders for the PC version. Not too bad for one little store. Hopefully, this will sell well enough that we will get sequels with further development.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #406
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

will this be playable on the 360?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #407
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

any idea on the system reqs? then again i guess if i can play madden 06 on my laptop i can play this most likely hmm?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #408
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
any idea on the system reqs? then again i guess if i can play madden 06 on my laptop i can play this most likely hmm?

I've seen these system requirements listed a few places, so they should be close to correct:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • CD ROM: 16X
  • CPU Speed: 933MHz
  • Disk Space: 2.0GB
  • Display: AGP Video Card, NVIDIA GeForce 3 +, ATI Radeon 8500 +
  • Memory (RAM): 256MB +
  • Operating System Compatibility: Win98/ME/2000/XP, Not Mac Compatible

As far as Xbox 360 compatibility, it will not be compatible at release, but might eventually be added.

I'm buying for the PC.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #409
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

New Preview up at IGN. Unfortunately, JRob wrote it, but it has some interesting tidbits of info. The draft results look odd, but it is an earlier version and perhaps there is an "X-factor." The other disappointment is that you can only save 10 created offensive and 10 defensive plays if JRob has his info correct.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/709/709630p1.html

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-22-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #410
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I actually dreamt about this game last night. I woke up, realized what just happened, and shook my head.

I'm a nerd.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #411
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
will this be playable on the 360?

no - xbox, pc and ps2.

I have a 360 but would get this particular title for the PC no matter what - but I don't understand why ALL new titles that come out on XBox aren't also on the 360. Seems like MS would be fairly pissed about that.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #412
AgustusM
College Prospect

This particular screen has me very intrigued - although I haven't seen anything on the feature list, this would seem to indicate some sort of game highlights ala NFL 2k5 which I thought was very well done.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #413
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

This is my top selling thread ever

dola, and this is my 2000th post as well. Milestones baby !
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.

Last edited by Darkiller : 05-23-2006 at 05:28 AM.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #414
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
This particular screen has me very intrigued - although I haven't seen anything on the feature list, this would seem to indicate some sort of game highlights ala NFL 2k5 which I thought was very well done.

Im assuming its from when you start the game, they say they do a feature on sportscenter about you and your previous experience, and how your a hot coach now
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #415
Emiliano
College Prospect

Just out of curiosity: are you guys all getting this for the PC? I still have to decide, maybe I'll get it for the Xbox. I'm just not used to "football graphics" on the PC anymore. Also, I was thinking about using the headphones thing, although I'm not sure it'll work properly.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #416
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Just out of curiosity: are you guys all getting this for the PC? I still have to decide, maybe I'll get it for the Xbox. I'm just not used to "football graphics" on the PC anymore. Also, I was thinking about using the headphones thing, although I'm not sure it'll work properly.

Same here, I'm not used to PC graphics anymore as the only games I play on PC these days are text-based sports sims (FOF, TCY).
I use my PSP for the rest and would have loved to see a PSP version of NFL Headcoach.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #417
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Im assuming its from when you start the game, they say they do a feature on sportscenter about you and your previous experience, and how your a hot coach now

Yeah, Unfortunately I think you are right. I read that in the IGN preview after my initial post.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #418
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
no - xbox, pc and ps2.

I have a 360 but would get this particular title for the PC no matter what - but I don't understand why ALL new titles that come out on XBox aren't also on the 360. Seems like MS would be fairly pissed about that.
That blows that it isnt backwards compatable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #419
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Dola -

New Preview up at IGN. Unfortunately, JRob wrote it, but it has some interesting tidbits of info. The draft results look odd, but it is an earlier version and perhaps there is an "X-factor." The other disappointment is that you can only save 10 created offensive and 10 defensive plays if JRob has his info correct.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/709/709630p1.html

The screen shots from this link are the best yet. They show a lot of the day to day interaction.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #420
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
From IGN Preview Next question jumps into strategy: How would you attack a Cover 2 defense? My options are: Hit your receiver with a quick out route. Establish the run. Hit the tight end over the middle. That's an easy one. With the Cover 2, the safeties have too many yards to catch up if you throw a quick out. Once the receiver gets past the corner, he's in one of those open zones until the safety can run all the way over to cover his spot. I answer with the quick out route and see a boost in my strategy attributes on the side of the screen.

Now I don't think this is a game-breaker or anything, but I was stunned to hear this just because of how WRONG this is. Against cover 2 the quick out route is the one route guaranteed to produce a lot of TD's - that is for CB easily picking the ball off and strolling untouched into the opposite end zone.

Of ALL the basic coverages - cover 2 is the ONLY coverage where the flat defender starts in the flat!!!! on 3 and 4 the flat defender is the outside LB or nickle back.

To beat the cover 2 you can run inside (only 7 guys in the box) or better yet send 3 vertical routes, forcing the 2 safeties to choose between covering the WR on the fade or the TE on the seam.

If you want to hit an out against cover 2 - you had better make it a deeper out and combine it with a TE or back in the flat to keep the CB out of the throwing lane.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #421
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Now I don't think this is a game-breaker or anything, but I was stunned to hear this just because of how WRONG this is. Against cover 2 the quick out route is the one route guaranteed to produce a lot of TD's - that is for CB easily picking the ball off and strolling untouched into the opposite end zone.

Of ALL the basic coverages - cover 2 is the ONLY coverage where the flat defender starts in the flat!!!! on 3 and 4 the flat defender is the outside LB or nickle back.

To beat the cover 2 you can run inside (only 7 guys in the box) or better yet send 3 vertical routes, forcing the 2 safeties to choose between covering the WR on the fade or the TE on the seam.

If you want to hit an out against cover 2 - you had better make it a deeper out and combine it with a TE or back in the flat to keep the CB out of the throwing lane.

I was thinking the same thing. I would have gone with the TE option.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #422
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The draft presented does not make me hopeful.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #423
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Quote:

As a CB I would jump all over an out with support over the top.

When a TE would run a seam or come out in general he had to be picked up by a LB or I would have to think of peeling off to support a deep TE route too.
The TE is a great option.

But if the WR route was too deep I would let the WR go and move up to support against the run or other guys in routes.

Last edited by Gallifrey : 05-23-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #424
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey
As a CB I would jump all over an out with support over the top.

When a TE would run a seam or come out in general he had to be picked up by a LB or I would have to think of peeling off to support a deep TE route too.
The TE is a great option.

But if the WR route was too deep I would let the WR go and move up to support against the run or other guys in routes.

basic cover 2 is the 2 deep zones by the safeties, the 2 flats by the corners and the 3 underneath zones by the backers.

the deep (12-14) out by the WR with a quick arrow (2-4 yards) by TE or RB works because the QB simply reads the flat defender (in this case the CB) he drops off into the lane for the out and you hit the arrow, jumps the arrow you hit the out. In a true cover 2 the LB will not chase the TE or RB because he has the middle zone and if her chases it becomes more of an combo coverage like 2 man, which changes everything.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #425
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
The draft presented does not make me hopeful.

Yeah, me either. In a game like this, the draft absolutely has to work for me to get "into the game". I guess we'll see.

Oh, and PC all the way. Patches, mods, rosters, etc...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-23-2006 at 12:27 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 PM   #426
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

5 new screenshots at Gamespot's site. I really like the one of the coach watching Favre practice. I think the variety of practice drills is probably going to keep practices exciting for me.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/n...reenindex.html

IGN has an article beginning the countdown of the 25 greatest coaches according to the game (new article to come out each week with 5 more leading up to release.) 25-21 are up now:

http://sports.ign.com/articles/710/710002p1.html

Nice screenshots in that article as well.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #427
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Delicious.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #428
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I really, really want to see how this game will look.
On paper, it seems really neat !

Have been waiting for a initiative like that from EA Sports for years.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #429
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Maybe each answer gives you a strategy boost. Possibly if you picked the answer C, you would get a larger boost in strategy than choosing choices a or b?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #430
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Corner route is how you beat Cover 2. Didn't anybody watch Brady at all this season?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #431
TroyF
Coordinator

RedKing,

The quick out option shouldn't give you a boost at all. It should give you a hit. It's clearly the wrong answer. Either of the other two options could be given a boost, but that answer deserves a hit.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #432
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
RedKing,

The quick out option shouldn't give you a boost at all. It should give you a hit. It's clearly the wrong answer. Either of the other two options could be given a boost, but that answer deserves a hit.

You are right, and I'm not arguing that. But maybe the developers (who are not targeting this game to hardcore people like us) designed it a bit differently, knowing that not everyone knows the difference between a Cover Two vs. 3-4, 4-3, etc.

In other words, you are rewarded more for making a better choice instead of being penalized for making the wrong choice. (Similar to a test where you get 5 points for the right anwser, 3 for the almost right answer, and 1 for the wrong answer).
Old 05-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #433
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold
knowing that not everyone knows the difference between a Cover Two vs. 3-4, 4-3, etc.

This always annoys he hell out of me when Madden lumps these 2 concepts together.

cover 2 is a secondary coverage NOT a "defense"

and 3-4, 4-3 are the fronts NOT a "defense"

a "defense" is the front, shifts, blitzes and coverages.

you can run cover 2 out of either a 3-4 or a 4-3, just not a 4-4.

and you can run any of the basic coverages when in a 4-3 or 3-4.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #434
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Corner route is how you beat Cover 2. Didn't anybody watch Brady at all this season?

ONLY when you combo it with another route that challenges the safety like a seam or post. a straight corner with no other challenge to a safeties deep half SHOULD be covered every time.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #435
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

If anyone is interested.

Pre-order $37.90 at Go Gamer

hxxp://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/EN/product/001NFL

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #436
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:

Hmmmm

If you go to the EA Sports site for the game and watch the trailer you'll see the same setting as what is in the screenshot and hear the beginnings of a sound clip:

"Last week at Ford Field..."

Sounds like weekly highlights kicking off to me!!

Last edited by mrsimperless : 05-27-2006 at 07:44 AM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #437
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Hmmmm

If you go to the EA Sports site for the game and watch the trailer you'll see the same setting as what is in the screenshot and hear the beginnings of a sound clip:

"Last week at Ford Field..."

Sounds like weekly highlights kicking off to me!!

Except for that this past year's Super Bowl was at Ford Field...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #438
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
ONLY when you combo it with another route that challenges the safety like a seam or post. a straight corner with no other challenge to a safeties deep half SHOULD be covered every time.

Possibly. But the key to a corner against the cover-2 is that the receiver is open for a brief window when the CB lets him go and the safety has not reached it yet. It just takes a QB with Brady's accuracy to hit that route during that brief window.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #439
Logan
Head Coach

I think all this debating is kind of pointless until we know for sure how this stuff works.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #440
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I think all this debating is kind of pointless until we know for sure how this stuff works.

LOL
So, what is your point?

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #441
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt
LOL
So, what is your point?

That it's never easy to figure out the programmers' intentions just by looking at a screenshot?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #442
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Possibly. But the key to a corner against the cover-2 is that the receiver is open for a brief window when the CB lets him go and the safety has not reached it yet. It just takes a QB with Brady's accuracy to hit that route during that brief window.

Maybe so, but without pressure from a TE or another WR running the seam, the S will be all over the corner route no matter how well it's thrown. Brady can fit it into a tight spot, but I'd be willing to bet money that on a majority of those corner routes there was pressure on the safety from another source.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #443
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Especially since we don't know whether this actually happened in the game or the reviewer just made a mistake.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #444
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

We are the FOFC.

Seriously, you've been here since October 2000 and are trying to tell us that debating ANYTHING is pointless? Who would we be if we couldn't nitpick the heck out of some obscure little point? It's what we do!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #445
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
We are the FOFC.

Seriously, you've been here since October 2000 and are trying to tell us that debating ANYTHING is pointless? Who would we be if we couldn't nitpick the heck out of some obscure little point? It's what we do!

I'm just shocked this thread has gone this far this long with very little mention of Daivd Winter, Jim adding 3D to FOF, the Iraq conflict, or Hitler.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #446
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Maybe so, but without pressure from a TE or another WR running the seam, the S will be all over the corner route no matter how well it's thrown. Brady can fit it into a tight spot, but I'd be willing to bet money that on a majority of those corner routes there was pressure on the safety from another source.

exactly - safeties who get beat on corner routes that are not challenged by other routes learn the true meaning of N.F.L. - not for long
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #447
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
We are the FOFC.

Haha...I guess that's why I usually stay out of the game preview threads.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #448
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I'm just shocked this thread has gone this far this long with very little mention of Daivd Winter, Jim adding 3D to FOF, the Iraq conflict, or Hitler.

Well, Tom Brady's been mentioned, so we're at least partially there. :-)

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #449
SegRat
High School Varsity

Another new vid up at gametrailers.com. Mainly todays coaches talking about assistant coaches, but in the back ground you see in game coaches discussing things.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #450
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only 3 more weeks until release! I'm looking forward to this more than NCAA or Madden (which I probably won't get this year.)