Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The FOFC Bowling Thread

I want to talk about bowling! In another thread, I learned that there are at least two other league bowlers here on FOFC, so it's time to chat. Here's my story:

Four years ago, right before I moved from New Orleans, my co-workers threw a bowling party for me to say goodbye. I had only bowled once in my life before that, and I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun. So I moved to Pennsylvania, and there happens to be a bowling center half a mile from my house. My wife and I figured that it was a year-round activity that we could learn to enjoy. We used house balls and rented shoes for about a year, and then we stepped up.

I got my own 12-pound Columbia Scout and started getting used to having my own equipment. A year after that, I went up to a 12-pound Ebonite Gamebreaker which introduced me to a fingertip grip. Finally, last year, I upgraded to a 14-pound Ebonite Complete NV and also got my first spare ball (a White Dot).

I just finished my second year of a winter league that bowls every other week. Last year, I averaged 150. This year, I averaged 173 and also had the second-highest single game (275) and highest series (678) of anyone in the league. As I mentioned in another thread, I am switching to a USBC-sanctioned league next winter. It competes every week and has somewhat more serious bowlers, so my wife and I are both looking forward to the increased competition.

We are bowling summer league (starting tomorrow!) for the next 14 weeks or so. This will be our second year in this summer league, and it's very fun and laid-back. There are some excellent bowlers, some very good bowlers, and some casual bowlers. It's a good mix, and we're glad to be a part of it again. My goal for the summer league is to average at least 180 and to bowl at least one 600 series. They are very reachable goals, but they are also challenging.

Who else here bowls regularly? Any leagues or just for practice and fun? I practice 10-15 games a week. I'd practice even more if I could convince my wife to go with me more often. Also, do any of you guys have particular challenges that you face out on the lanes? A big one for me is mental focus. I recognize when I need to make adjustments out on the lanes, but I fight it for three or four frames before I finally do the right thing. I end up probably costing myself 20-40 pins because I leave silly splits or just fail to convert makeable spares.

So that's my long story. Anybody else got something to share about bowling?

Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nothing about a league... but I have two stories.

-When I was a kid (grade 6 or 7, or around there), I went to a 5-pin place with a friend that bowled in a 5-pin league at the time. I ended up getting something like 275 and still have the printed out score sheet somewhere in a box at home. It's not a crazy-high score for 5-pin, but it was a really nice moment for me as a kid. The guy running the lane asked me if I wanted to join a league because I bowled well in that game, but I declined.

-There's been two occasions where I've gone 10-pin bowling with two random different groups of friends for a birthday or something... first game everyone bowls, and then before the second game someone will bring up bowling for money... highest score wins everything. I'm a crappy bowler, and I can't even throw the 10-pin ball properly... but for those two games I somehow ended up with the highest score both times, taking the money. The final score was somewhere in the low 100s (like 120 or whatever), but again it makes me feel good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

Nothing to contribute other than that I miss league bowling even though I'm not a great bowler.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I used to bowl for several years. I stopped after I blew my knee out playing indoor soccer about 10 years ago. Had around a 180 average at that point.

Unfortunately it seems that the Marfan Syndrome has gotten me a bit here. One thing it affects is connective tissue in the body and can have various consequences. I found one of those when I tried to bowl again after recovering from the knee problem. When I went lift up for the spin on the ball I felt incredible pain in my middle and ring ringers on that hand. I thought I had broken them initially. As it turns out they both "dislocated" at the knuckles and reset. They became inflamed and I could not continue. I have tried three other times since and I cannot put any torque on my throw at all or it happens every time.

This sucks too because our poker group has been thinking of starting a team or two. Unfortunately everyone looks at me like I just told them I was obducted by an alien when I tell them about this (how you are looking at this post right about now ).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

When I was like 11 I dropped my balls.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
chinaski
College Prospect

Oddly enough, I just got home from winning my first league championship! Ill post a picture when it hits the league website.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
MCK
n00b

Tenpin bowling is too easy. Bowl duckpins (East Coast thing) if you want a challange.
MCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like you are far better than I am bowling wise Pumpy. I've been bowling since 2000 (although I stopped for 2-3 years because of personal life issues during the middle of that). I have been pretty consistant 140 average for the most part the entire time. I always start out the season bowling 125-130 though, and average closer to 150-160 the last 8 weeks of the season. (This year I averaged 154 over the last 2 months). I think that is due to my not bowling a single time ever outside of league time

My best game this season was a 208, and I never have had a 600 series, I only had 3 500-series this year.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I bowled more often. The only time I bowl now is when I have a company outing (which I have one today). I went with some friends a little over a year ago and bowled a 190, despite having not bowled in a year prior to that. I could probably be good if I went on a regular basis and got my own ball.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I just went bowling again this weekend after not doing it for a while. My wife and I were in a league two summers ago, but it was just too far of a drive to go every week. I wish there were leagues inside the city.

Anyway, I want to get my own ball but I have no idea what to get. Hopefully I can get out to a shop sometime soon and see what the deal is. I'm working on learning to throw a hook.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have been in a league the last two years. I finished this year with a 140 average, but I improved greatly over the second half of the year. For me, I think about it to much. It gets into my head. I had a streak in October where I went 3 weeks without breaking a 300 series, but the last week of the year (in April) I bowled a 650.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I have been bowling league for 2 and a half years now. I started my second semester of my senior year in college - college leagues are awesome. We really didn't care, just a good excuse to drink. I graduated and moved back home and realized I wanted to continue bowling. I am nowhere near good (closer to Alan than anyone else in this thread, right around a 130 average), but I figured it would be a good time. Found and joined a league called the Tavern league that bowls on Friday nights (that right there tells you it's gotta be good, right?) My dad, my brother, and 2 of my buddies joined me on our team and we just finished our second year. We are by far the worst team scratch-wise, but with handicap we are always able to compete (in fact, we have been in the Championship roll-off both years, yet to win one yet though) I have been unable to master a decent spin yet, but I am hoping to get some decent practice this summer to get something going. I really do love bowling though.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Also - I have never had a 200 (highest is a 193), nor a 500 series. Here is hoping I can pick my shit up and break that next year
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't bowl with a spin.. perhaps one of the only ones in my league that don't it seems. I actually just bowl a straight ball and line up where I want to place it on the arrows. My problem isn't actually keeping up with the strikes/spares that others do.. I actually have really poor bowling form and for some stupid reason my left knee is in horrible pain after a third game of bowling every night.

So my normal bowling scores are typically: 170ish, 150ish, 120ish or along those lines.

The one problem I run in to is I have a very tough time with split conversions that the spin balls seem to do better with. (I did hit a 3 - 7 - 10 split last week though which was cool)

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah I know what you mean about the split conversions...my coolest was a 4-7-10.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Nice to see quite a few other bowlers here, and I love hearing from the casual bowlers as well as everyone else. The great thing about it is that anyone can compete with handicaps.

I tried to throw a hook with my first ball (the 12lb Columbia Scout), but I just couldn't get the rotation I needed. I still have that ball, but I only use it for my backwards trick shot now. The difference for me (and for most anyone else) would be the fingertip grip I got in my second ball. It is much easier to hook the ball with a fingertip grip instead of a conventional. For those who don't know what a fingertip grip is, your two fingers only go into the ball to the first knuckle. So only your fingertips are in the ball. If it's drilled properly, it will fit fine and won't be uncomfortable. It really is the next step to improving your game, if you're interested in taking that step.

Every league will have its share of bowlers who bowl a straight ball, and that's fine. There are advantages to throwing a hook, but it takes dozens of practice games to really get comfortable with it. If you're not a heavy bowler, there's probably not much reason to switch unless you just really feel compelled to.

To lordscarlet: Definitely check out a nearby pro shop and talk to them about your game. If you're just starting to learn a hook, they will likely start you off with a value-priced reactive ball, just because it has a more predictable roll to it. It won't give you a huge hook or a lot of power when it reaches the pins, but it's very much WYSIWYG.

To move up to a higher-performance ball, you need to know your personal style very well because there's a huge difference in what the various balls do. My wife and I both use 14lb high-performance balls, but hers breaks much later on the lane than mine does. I would be completely lost if I used a ball like that. It's great for her, though. The pro shop guy recommended it for her because he's seen her bowl dozens of games. He knew what she needed.

Split conversions are tough as hell, no matter how good you become. Even "baby splits" like the 3-10 give me trouble sometimes. My shining moment, I guess, is the one time I made a 7-10. There was one problem, though. I actually had a 6-7-10 split. I rolled the ball, knew I was going to miss the 6, so I just turned around and walked back to my seat. All of a sudden, people started screaming at me. They were like "You made the 7-10!" Sure enough, I had left the 6 pin standing. I think making a 7-10 and leaving a 6 is more impressive than making a 6-7-10. At least that's what I tell myself.

I have had a couple of VERY good practice weeks lately, so I'm hoping to get at least a 550 series tonight. I just have to recognize the adjustments I need to make, and I also have to MAKE those adjustments. I'll also have to balance that with getting to know my new teammates. I love this stuff, and it's something for me to look forward to every Wednesday this summer.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You are going to have to deal with me coming and heckling you in a Colin White jersey!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I have heard that about the finger-tip grip too. I have a 14-lb ball that I have been using for 2 years with a conventional grip. I am considering a new ball this summer with a finger-tip grip.

And the 7-10 story is nuts
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Right now I'm trying to hook with alley balls, so anything is an improvement. My plan is definitely to get something fairly close to entry level and see where it takes me. Thanks for the advice, Pumpy!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You are going to have to deal with me coming and heckling you in a Colin White jersey!
oh fuck me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I have heard that about the finger-tip grip too. I have a 14-lb ball that I have been using for 2 years with a conventional grip. I am considering a new ball this summer with a finger-tip grip.

And the 7-10 story is nuts
My personal recommendation would be to switch. It's difficult at first because it feels different, but you really get so much more control over the ball with the fingertip grip. You'll get more consistent hook on the ball, and once you know how your ball behaves on the lane, you can figure out how to adjust. If you switch, your scores will probably drop for the first 30 games or so, but the benefits are amazing once you've got the hang of it.

And I hope I never leave another 7-10 in my life, but if I do, maybe I'll get it without leaving an extra pin standing.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Right now I'm trying to hook with alley balls, so anything is an improvement. My plan is definitely to get something fairly close to entry level and see where it takes me. Thanks for the advice, Pumpy!
I can hook my own ball with ease, but I tried to hook a house ball last year and absolutely could not do it. Part of it was because I didn't have my wrist brace with me, but a bigger part was just that I was using a house ball. Yeah, you'll definitely need your own.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What are the advantages to learning a hook? I don't really have too much problem with control usually. I line up to the marks and have figured out where to aim the ball for a desired result. I sometimes feel amateurish compared to everyone else I bowl with, but in the end I don't care too much about that.

I'm kind of tempted to try to learn one just because I want to learn one.. what else does it help you do?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Bowling the game of my life as a kid, I had 198 after 2 strikes in the 10th and then faulted on the last ball.

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
spleen1015
Coordinator

There was a time in my life when I bowled in leagues 5 nights a week, spending about $125 a week in league fees.

I stopped bowling about 18 months ago, carrying an average between 195-200. My highest score is 296, choked on #12 for 300. I have bowling 280 6 times and 279 7 times. I had a 6 week stretch back in 2006 where I had 11 strikes in 1 game, 5 weeks in a row. I was that close to 300, but never did it.

I got tired of the 35 week commitment and gave it up. It was probably one of the most stressful things I've ever done because I rarely bowled as well as I thought I could. I was nuts I guess.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCK View Post
Tenpin bowling is too easy. Bowl duckpins (East Coast thing) if you want a challange.

I would argue it's a Maryland thing, not an east coast thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
What are the advantages to learning a hook? I don't really have too much problem with control usually. I line up to the marks and have figured out where to aim the ball for a desired result. I sometimes feel amateurish compared to everyone else I bowl with, but in the end I don't care too much about that.

I'm kind of tempted to try to learn one just because I want to learn one.. what else does it help you do?

It's not about control. If you bowl straight, the physics just aren't working with you as well IMO. If you're coming in with a hook, you swipe through the pins rather than just relying on the middle pins to fall in the correct direciton.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm a league bowler and as a matter of fact, my wife and I leave for Vegas this weekend for sweepers. We started bowling in leagues about 8 years ago with another couple. They had a baby and that put an end to us being able to get out weekly for leagues. We just started up with them again as their boy is now six years old and they figured he could handle the playroom.

My brother is a very good bowler and when he found out I had joined a league he started tutoring me. He convinced me to switch to a finger tip grip and gave me two of his bowling balls to be redrilled. In our initial leagues I was bowling around a 140 average. I'm now up around a 180 average. The league I bowl in is a handicap league calculated at 90% of 210. The 180 average I have now has been rising throughout this season and I fully expect to be around 190 when the next league starts in June. In fact, I've been confident enough in my game in this league that I've been buying into the side brackets and I've been winning some cash pretty consistently. Last week I won 4 brackets. I squeezed by in the first round with a 197, but cruised in the final round with a 237 on my second game. I bowled a 209 on the 3rd game which got me $18 per bracket for $72. I signed into about $100 worth of brackets for Vegas so there is a potential of $600 there.

I love bowling in leagues. I know it's not some killer sport (although I'm taking Jiu Jitsu now for that), but it does provide a certain level of competition which I thoroughly enjoy.

Cool thread Pumpy... I like it.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

The "problem" with a straight ball (I hestitate to use the word "problem" because I don't want a straight ball bowler to think they're bowling "wrong") is that there are only two directions the pins can go. They'll either spray out sideways or go straight back. There's very little room for error. If you don't hit the head pin in just the right spot, you can forget about a strike. With a straight ball, you're relying on the ball to hit at a very precise angle. With a hook, the ball comes in at an angle that sends different pins in various directions. There is a lot more opportunity for something to make contact with all 10 pins even if you're off by a couple of inches. One common thing I see with the straight ball is that the 5 or 9 pin gets left standing a lot. That's because the ball missed by just an inch or two. If you throw a hook, there's enough deflection and pin action down there to "carry" that extra pin.

Another nice thing about the hook is that other hook bowlers will burn a groove in the oil on the lane. So once the better bowlers have prepared that line for you, all you have to do is put your ball in that groove and it'll follow everyone else's path to the pocket. It's great when other people help do the hard work for you.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #28
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The "problem" with a straight ball (I hestitate to use the word "problem" because I don't want a straight ball bowler to think they're bowling "wrong") is that there are only two directions the pins can go. They'll either spray out sideways or go straight back. There's very little room for error. If you don't hit the head pin in just the right spot, you can forget about a strike. With a straight ball, you're relying on the ball to hit at a very precise angle. With a hook, the ball comes in at an angle that sends different pins in various directions. There is a lot more opportunity for something to make contact with all 10 pins even if you're off by a couple of inches. One common thing I see with the straight ball is that the 5 or 9 pin gets left standing a lot. That's because the ball missed by just an inch or two. If you throw a hook, there's enough deflection and pin action down there to "carry" that extra pin.

Another nice thing about the hook is that other hook bowlers will burn a groove in the oil on the lane. So once the better bowlers have prepared that line for you, all you have to do is put your ball in that groove and it'll follow everyone else's path to the pocket. It's great when other people help do the hard work for you.

I leave the 5 - 8 alot, but I understand what you are getting at. I tend to have very often the right side pins kick back across the lane to take them out though. Probably half of my strikes tend to be like that. Perhaps I get better pin action due to throwing the ball harder, or using a heavy bowling ball?

What is the best way to learn a proper hook? It sounds like using house balls is frustrating, and obviously it takes practice. I would have to re-learn where all of the arrows end up putting the ball at..

Why wouldn't people use a hook for the first ball and use a straight ball for picking up spares when you just need to hit specific pins? Is it just to not mess up their form by changing it up?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #29
wahoomac
Mascot

I bowl tonight in our last league match of the year (position round). We are in 10th (out of 15 teams) but have a chance to move up if we do well. It is a mixed league that I joined about 10 years ago, and only the team captain and myself have been there all 10 years. Picture me, a 42-year old male, with an 82-year old woman (team captain), her 80-year old sister, and a 79-year old man. Kind of a weird looking team, but we have fun (which is all that matters).

I have been in this league for 10 years now and my average has been between 140 and 155 (this year I'm right at 150). I have been struggling recently, with my left knee hurting, so I am trying a different release point. I use a 16-lb full finger ball which I have used for almost 10 years. I also have a 16-lb fingertip ball that I used one season, but I feel that I drop it (can't control the release). I need to get a 15-lb or something lighter for fingertip release. I have never had a 600-series but I have had many 200s (usually 2-3 a season), with a high of 243. I throw a straight ball that hooks ever so slightly. My problem is inconsistency. I miss more single pin spares than I care to remember. Also, I am the anchor bowler and that puts more pressure on my game than some other factors. Luckily, we almost always are getting a lot of pins from the other team (due to handicaps). With my knee hurting, I'm happy that tonight is the last night bowling for about 3 months. Maybe by next season, I will buy a new finger-tip ball or maybe get the 16-lb redrilled.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

People throw straight on spares to remove oil from the equation. It is easier to throw straight at just one pin than hook to it. You may know where to put the ball to pick it up with 1 pin, but the oil could change on you and you may miss.

In all my years bowling, the 10 pin is the only spare I ever through straight. I would always throw the ball the same way as my strike ball when picking up spares. I never saw a big need in throwing straight.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #31
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why wouldn't people use a hook for the first ball and use a straight ball for picking up spares when you just need to hit specific pins? Is it just to not mess up their form by changing it up?

Some people do. A lot of splits are easier to pick up with a hook, though. If the ball is moving in the direction of the second (third?) pin, it helps to slid the pin you're making contact with into the split.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #32
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomac View Post
I bowl tonight in our last league match of the year (position round). We are in 10th (out of 15 teams) but have a chance to move up if we do well. It is a mixed league that I joined about 10 years ago, and only the team captain and myself have been there all 10 years. Picture me, a 42-year old male, with an 82-year old woman (team captain), her 80-year old sister, and a 79-year old man. Kind of a weird looking team, but we have fun (which is all that matters).

I have been in this league for 10 years now and my average has been between 140 and 155 (this year I'm right at 150). I have been struggling recently, with my left knee hurting, so I am trying a different release point. I use a 16-lb full finger ball which I have used for almost 10 years. I also have a 16-lb fingertip ball that I used one season, but I feel that I drop it (can't control the release). I need to get a 15-lb or something lighter for fingertip release. I have never had a 600-series but I have had many 200s (usually 2-3 a season), with a high of 243. I throw a straight ball that hooks ever so slightly. My problem is inconsistency. I miss more single pin spares than I care to remember. Also, I am the anchor bowler and that puts more pressure on my game than some other factors. Luckily, we almost always are getting a lot of pins from the other team (due to handicaps). With my knee hurting, I'm happy that tonight is the last night bowling for about 3 months. Maybe by next season, I will buy a new finger-tip ball or maybe get the 16-lb redrilled.

Your bowling style is pretty close to mine it sounds like, and your left knee pain seems to be pretty similar to what I descried earlier in this thread.. plus I also use a 16-lb ball.. I guess that likely is not a coincidence?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #33
MCK
n00b

[quote=lordscarlet;2020149]I would argue it's a Maryland thing, not an east coast thing. QUOTE]

You are correct. There are more duckpin houses in Maryland than any other state.

Maryland 26 houses
Connecticut 15
Rhode Island 7
Virginia 5
Massachusettes 4
and some other single states

My high game is 233, high average 147.

Last edited by MCK : 05-13-2009 at 12:48 PM.
MCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Crazy Marylanders!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #35
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Glad to know I am not the only one with knee pain at times, although mine is in my right knee.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I rough up the outside of my thumb a lot. It typically gets pretty calloused and funky looking. However, this last time it got severely bloody under the skin -- I think maybe doing a hook with an alley ball that was perhaps too heavy? I don't know.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #37
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So if I want to go to a finger-tip ball, would you guys suggest just using the ball I currently have and getting it plugged or getting a whole new ball? My current ball is 14 pounds, and I was considering going to 15, but I like the size of it and from what you guys are saying, it sounds like too heavy is not a good idea.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wow, a lot to cover here! I like it!

If you're bowling a straight ball, the heavier ball will initiate more pin action than a lighter ball. You are sacrificing margin for error, though. A heavier ball will not deflect as easily off the pins, so the ball can only take one path through the pins. That's why single pins in the middle (the 5, 8, or 9) often get left standing. You're counting on the pins to careen off the sidewalls, and it's not easy to come off the sidewall into a specific spot in the center of the lane. It's unpredictable.

With a hook, the idea is to get very predictable action. Yes, you sometimes need a lucky bounce or deflection, but the ball deflects off the head pin ever so slightly into the 5, then the 5 takes out the 8, and the ball takes out the 9 (for a righthanded bowler). The hook and entry angle introduce this deflection into the shot, and that really makes it easier to strike.

When choosing a bowling ball, remember that comfort is important. If it hurts to roll the ball (or if it's so heavy that it saps your energy), something's not right. We all have different levels of stamina, but three games should not be killing your hand or arm. I am going to move up to a 15lb ball later this year, but that's as far as I'm going. I don't want to move up to 16 because it's too heavy for me and I will lose some of that deflection I need in order to get consistent strikes. Many pros use 14s and 15s, so don't think that you need to step up to 16 to get better. That's not necessarily true.

Some people pick up all single pins with a straight ball. That works for them. Others like spleen1015 and myself only shoot at the 10 pin with a straight ball and use a hook for all other spares. It's all preference.

PackerFanatic, what kind of bowling ball do you have? Your answer will help me decide whether I think you should get a new one or not.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #39
spleen1015
Coordinator

I used 16 lb balls, but I know a lot of folks who moved down to 15 lb because the new ball technology was causing 16 lbs to hook too much and they were missing the 9 pin on perfect pocket shots.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #40
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I can't recall right now...I will have to let you know when I get home. I know it's nothing fancy, just something cheap I picked up at the pro shop.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am pretty sure this is the ball I have...

Orange/Navy | Classic Bowling Balls | Storm Products, Inc — The Bowler’s Company
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am somewhat amazed this thread has gone so long without a picture from Kingpin or The Big Lebowski, or even Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. That is a pretty big accomplishment on this board.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #43
Lorena
Unregistered

Here ya go Cringer

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #44
Danny
Head Coach

I bowled in leagues when I was a kid and stopped at around age 14. I averaged 185 as 14 year old. Now I will bowl occasionally (maybe once a year) and usually bowl around 170.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #45
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Here ya go Cringer

Hook, line, and sinker.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

How much does an average ball cost? My wife and I bought shoes and were bowling several games a weekend a while back, but we stopped because it never seemed like we were getting any better and she had problems finding a ball that she could control that fit her hand.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
My opinion would be to get a new ball. Now, of course that depends on if you can afford to spend the money. I'm not really an advocate of getting something new and better "just because." But that ball has a pretty low hook potential, and a fingertip grip would be better suited to a more reactive ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
How much does an average ball cost? My wife and I bought shoes and were bowling several games a weekend a while back, but we stopped because it never seemed like we were getting any better and she had problems finding a ball that she could control that fit her hand.
"Reactive" balls (ones that will actually hook, even a little bit) start as low as about $60 and go way up from there. I've seen some as high as about $300. Mine was $150, and then I spent another $60 on a spare ball. If you two want to bowl several games a week, you really should get your own bowling balls. It'll be much more comfortable.

For anyone who wants to get into bowling semi-regularly, I recommend getting to know the people who work at the bowling center. Almost all the people I've met are very helpful and will give tips. My wife and I have basically gotten free coaching for the past 3 years, and it's because we showed a real interest in learning more about the game. It's amazing how much improvement you can get from just a few pointers here and there.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #48
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #49
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So my first night of league was a success for me. First of all, my team swept the series. Secondly, I discovered that I'm the team captain. Finally, I bowled 191/169/191 for a 551 series. Not a bad start! Definitely looking forward to next week.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #50
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Haha, how do you not know you are the captain?

I think I will definitely look into getting a new ball.