Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #1901
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Dance of Dragons was released in mid 2011, so pretty much.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #1902
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This seemed like a pretty solid plot hole (that never happened in the books), but I'd imagine the line is going to be that the people in the Vale aren't going around telling everyone and their mother that they have Sansa Stark inside, otherwise they run the risk of becoming public enemy numero uno for the Lannisters and the rest of the houses 'loyal' to the throne. Still find it hard to believe that a shit ton of armed guards would let the Hound just ride off after announcing that he has Arya Stark in tow.

I agree on the Sansa part but even if they didn't know that Sansa was there, they know that Robin Arryn(?) is the cousin of Arya Stark and at the very least should have brought them inside the castle to let their "Lord" figure it out when he gets back. Hell, even a free meal would most likely be welcomed by those 2 I imagine.

To me it seems there are 100 plausible reasons they should be in the castle (where Arya & Sansa would likely meet again) and almost no logical reason they would not.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #1903
chinaski
College Prospect

Pretty much like last season, the episode prior to the finale was awesome and the finale was pretty 'meh'. I feel like if I had read the books, i would have been even more let down. This season needed 2 more episodes.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #1904
Pyser
Pro Rookie

they shouldve just let dany and her dragons take this season off entirely.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #1905
RainMaker
General Manager

Aren't the portion of the books the TV show is coming up on incredibly boring? I keep hearing that after this season the show might have issues finding interesting plots.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #1906
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
they shouldve just let dany and her dragons take this season off entirely.

yeah, if her boobs are taking the season off, not much else to work with.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #1907
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Game of Thrones ratings up 32% for finale

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?ne...cid=rr-tv-news
Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #1908
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Pretty much like last season, the episode prior to the finale was awesome and the finale was pretty 'meh'. I feel like if I had read the books, i would have been even more let down. This season needed 2 more episodes.

I actually thought this finale was much better than last season's. Not as much action as episode 9 (though the Brienne/Hound fight was epic) but they needed to advance some plotlines so I can't fault them too much.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 06-16-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #1909
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I actually thought this finale was much better than last season's. Not as much action as episode 9 (though the Brienne/Hound fight was epic) but they needed to advance some plotlines so I can't fault them too much.

I was kinda disappointed by how much Brienne just got kicked around.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #1910
Desnudo
Coordinator

I feel like the Bran scenes were like stepping into a different show - terrible special effects, wooden acting, Never Ending Story-like, then wham we're back to strangling hookers and patricide.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-16-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #1911
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I was kinda disappointed by how much Brienne just got kicked around.

I believe at one point GRRM mentioned in an interview that he wrote Brienne as one of the largest and strongest people in all of Westeros. Topped by probably only the Cleganes.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-16-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #1912
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I believe at one point GRRM mentioned in an interview that he wrote Brienne as one of the largest and strongest people in all of Westeros. Topped by probably only the Cleganes.

well in the show she got owned by the hound... them randomly hit him with a rock and won. it was odd.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #1913
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't know if I saw it the same way, she looked to give almost as good as she got. But also remember, in terms of fighting prowess, you essentially have Jaime Lannister (both hands version), Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane, then a pretty large gulf between them and everyone else. So it's not all that surprising that she'd be getting beat by one of the best fighters in the entire realm.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #1914
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know if I saw it the same way, she looked to give almost as good as she got. But also remember, in terms of fighting prowess, you essentially have Jaime Lannister (both hands version), Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane, then a pretty large gulf between them and everyone else. So it's not all that surprising that she'd be getting beat by one of the best fighters in the entire realm.

Barristan Selmy ftw!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #1915
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think various people have various fighting skills

I think Jaime was on a level of his own. The Cleganes were also extremely big and strong. Ned and Robert were obviously trained fighters. I think Oberyn was quite good with his spear because of quickness. You have Selmy, Syrio Florel, even Bronn seems to be better than most, the Halfhand, Loras and others.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #1916
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just having been to Iceland, it was rather amazing watching parts of this season and seeing such familiar terrain. It's really unlike anything I've ever seen in the world.

We stayed in a rental home just a couple of km from Thingvellir, where quite a few scenes from this season were shot.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #1917
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Aren't the portion of the books the TV show is coming up on incredibly boring? I keep hearing that after this season the show might have issues finding interesting plots.

IMO, the show has just come to the point in the books where I feel a lot of the "initial" plotlines have wound up. What happens next is some new plotlines start and some existing ones take another step, but in both cases there's quite a bit of non-action "start-up" that has to happen, and because there are so many, this takes quite a bit of time. So this is why a lot of people say this next section (in the books) drags.

The other thing that happens is that the variety in the type of plotlines (i.e. the type of action or non-action that's happening) somewhat increases, with the result that most people only like some, not most, and so on top of the endless set-up/exposition, you have some plotlines you just don't care about at all.

Having said that, there's still plenty of stuff there and the show writers have, IMO, tended to do a good job of cutting the boring stuff and, when necessary, doing things somewhat differently to make it more interesting.

I actually think the chief problem they're going to have next season is not so much cutting the boring parts, but deciding which of the even greater (than you've seen so far) number of plotlines they actually decide to keep. To date, some that they've chosen not to film have been, IMO, good choices.

And that's about all I can say without spoiling things.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #1918
Desnudo
Coordinator

Bran poisoned in episode one?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #1919
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I feel like the Bran scenes were like stepping into a different show - terrible special effects, wooden acting, Never Ending Story-like, then wham we're back to strangling hookers and patricide.
It definitely had a LOTR WIZARDS MEETS TRUE BLOOD PIXIES MASHUP FROM SATAN feel.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #1920
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So Fantasy (because this is in the fantasy genre) can't have political machinations, gritty storylines and imperfect characters?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #1921
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I don't think the problem is in the existence of Bran's storyline, but perhaps the execution.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #1922
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think the problem is that a significant portion of Bran's storyline in the books is internal (i.e. him thinking / seeing / dreaming / whatever) and this makes it tough to translate all of that to the screen. So Bran's basically a cipher, as we have no real idea what he's thinking about all of this, which is generally not true for the other characters we've seen.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #1923
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I think I meant more the grenade throwing girl with a bush on her head.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #1924
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I love these books dearly, but, yes, pretty much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #1925
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
It definitely had a LOTR WIZARDS MEETS TRUE BLOOD PIXIES MASHUP FROM SATAN feel.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought of the True Blood fairies in that scene. It totally reminded me of them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #1926
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
I don't think the problem is in the existence of Bran's storyline, but perhaps the execution.

Yes that is how I am interpreting the criticism in this thread. I'm sure the book does a better job with this but the HBO attempt falls short. Lord of the Rings/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are examples of a good translations... Bicentennial Man/DaVinci Code bad ones. I would put the Bran old man in the tree, little girl throwing fire among the latter.

Last edited by panerd : 06-17-2014 at 09:29 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #1927
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes that is how I am interpreting the criticism in this thread. I'm sure the book does a better job with this but the HBO attempt falls short. Lord of the Rings/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are examples of a good translations... Bicentennial Man/DaVinci Code bad ones. I would put the Bran old man in the tree, little girl throwing fire among the latter.

It's hard to say. The book does a better job with some aspects of Bran's story, but not others.

The little girl throwing the fireballs was pretty far afield from the book. The old man in the tree is pretty much spot on.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #1928
RainMaker
General Manager

What's the difference in Wights and Whitewalkers? And what is the Others? Without spoiling of course. I don't understand the difference in these characters beyond the wall.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #1929
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What's the difference in Wights and Whitewalkers? And what is the Others? Without spoiling of course. I don't understand the difference in these characters beyond the wall.

The Whitewalkers and The Others are the same thing. They are the scary looking white guys.

Wights are the reanimated corpses of the dead. The Whitewalkers/Others can reanimate corpses and those corpses serve the Whitewalkers/Others.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #1930
Groundhog
Coordinator

I liked this as a season finale as it wasn't just a "Next Year: On Game of Thrones" episode and had some real meat to it too. The Bran stuff was adapted truer to the source than I expected.

As for the boring books coming up next, that is true, however I actually think that combining events from the next two books into the one series will help a lot - what hindered the next book in particular is that so many of the 'favourite' characters' chapters just do not appear for most/all of the book. Also I think certain characters and locations, considering how well the casting and location folks have done on the show, will be better than in the books... still, without giving anything away, I have some doubts.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #1931
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

As for the boring books coming up next, that is true, however I actually think that combining events from the next two books into the one series will help a lot - what hindered the next book in particular is that so many of the 'favourite' characters' chapters just do not appear for most/all of the book. Also I think certain characters and locations, considering how well the casting and location folks have done on the show, will be better than in the books... still, without giving anything away, I have some doubts.

Then what would we do for the following season? Has this been discussed before? At the rate he releases books we will run out of books within the next two seasons without another book being released at the rate he puts them out.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #1932
Subby
lolzcat

As long as the dude in the tree doesn't try to escape the skeletons by disentangling himself and hopping into a sled attached to bunny rabbits, I guess we'll be okay.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 06-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #1933
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
As long as the dude in the tree doesn't try to escape the skeletons by disentangling himself and hopping into a sled attached to bunny rabbits, I guess we'll be okay.
"Evil Dead skeletons!" was the 1st thing I yelled to my wife when they came out.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #1934
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't worry, method addled Strawberry Shortcake will be there to throw Molotov cocktails and save the day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #1935
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
"Evil Dead skeletons!" was the 1st thing I yelled to my wife when they came out.

Had a little Thriller in it too
Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #1936
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Glad I wasn't the only one!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #1937
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Shit dude, spoilers! You just ruined book 5 for everyone.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #1938
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

GRRM already ruined book 5
Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #1939
Thomkal
Head Coach

Having trouble keeping track of the connections between various members of the cast? Wil Wheaton feels your pain and has done something about it on his new SyFy show, The Wil Wheaton Project:

Wil Weaton Makes Brady Bunch-Inspired Intro for Game of Thrones | The Philips Phile Live Blog on Real Radio 104.1
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #1940
DanGarion
Coordinator

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #1941
Edward64
Head Coach

'Game of Thrones' season 5 cast revealed | Inside TV | EW.com
Quote:
At Comic-Con Friday, HBO announced nine new cast members coming to Game of Thrones, including acclaimed veteran actor Jonathan Pryce. Some of the newcomers have been the subjects of online casting rumors for the last several weeks
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #1942
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pryce should be fantastic.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #1943
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
ymmv, but nothing they've showed or showed just off screen in the entire length of the show has got nearly that reaction in our house. Give me an already flayed man over that shit any day.

I'm way behind on the shows because of a vacation, work, and family stuff. I just got to this scene yesterday and it was the most disturbing death in the entire series for me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #1944
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-26-2014 at 12:06 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #1945
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #1946
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm loving Dr. Bashir as Doran Martell.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #1947
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Siddig is a great casting as Doran Martell. Love to see someone of Pryce's calibre on the show. Good stuff all around.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1948
DanGarion
Coordinator

Click for larger version.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-01-2014 at 01:25 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #1949
Grover
Pro Starter

Just received these in the post. So awesome. GoT characters in Little Golden Books style.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #1950
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

BOOYA
Quote:
Though he was last seen suffering the most humiliating death in Game of Thrones history, Charles Dance hints that he might not be gone for good. While promoting Dracula Untold, Dance told MTV, "I'm not completely missing out on the next series. You haven't seen the last of Tywin Lannister." This is big news not just because it means we get more Charles Dance (every show needs more Charles Dance!), but also because it adds more weight to rumors that GoT is abandoning its no-flashbacks policy,

Charles Dance Might Be Back on Game of Thrones -- Vulture
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote