Head Coach

"Oh yeah, I pay extra money so I can watch TV like poor people."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #402
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've been watching Battlestar Galactica. Finished the first season tonight. It's a really good show. Like it a lot. Have also gone through first season of The League, which I found funny. Parks and Recreation which I also found funny.

Netflix had the league rated a 4.8 for me and it didn't disappoint. If you liked the first season Hulu is streaming season 2 (in addition to 1).
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #403
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I watch 95% HD. There's not much anymore that isn't. When I turn the T.V. on, the first thing I do is flip through the HD guide. 95% of the time I find something I will watch.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #404
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
Netflix had the league rated a 4.8 for me and it didn't disappoint. If you liked the first season Hulu is streaming season 2 (in addition to 1).

I keep waiting for Netlix to get it at some point. I can't bring myself to pay for Netflix and Hulu both.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #405
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you like Paul Scheer and Jason Manzoukas from the League, their Podcast "How Did this Get Made" is hilarious. They brutally riff on awful movies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #406
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I keep waiting for Netlix to get it at some point. I can't bring myself to pay for Netflix and Hulu both.

Hulu has it free, watching online, you just have to watch an ad or two every commercial break. Also for those that really like it Amazon has both seasons (HD and SD) on sale for downloading (Amazon.com: The League [HD]: Season 2, Episode 1 "Vegas Draft [HD]": Amazon Instant Video)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #407
PilotMan
Head Coach

Any wrestling fans, especially on the heels of his death, might be interested in the Randy Savage history that is new today.

WWE Macho Madness: The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #408
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The 9 Most Devastatingly Sad Documentaries of All Time | Pajiba: Reviews, News, Quotes & Cultural Commentary

Some previous mentions:

#4 Restrepo
#1 Dear Zachary

#2 Senna is out now.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #409
RainMaker
General Manager

Dear Zachary made me feel like shit for a couple weeks. It's a good documentary, but I don't think I'd have watched it if I knew how it turned out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #410
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I definitely would have watched it again, almost for that reason. It's shit like that that makes me feel human.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #411
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Nine Feel-Good Documentaries to Lift Your Spirits after the Devastating Dear Zachary | Pajiba: Reviews, News, Quotes & Cultural Commentary

And the counter list of feel good documentaries. I really need to see Being Elmo at some point.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Nine Feel-Good Documentaries to Lift Your Spirits after the Devastating Dear Zachary | Pajiba: Reviews, News, Quotes & Cultural Commentary

And the counter list of feel good documentaries. I really need to see Being Elmo at some point.

Young at Heart is a great documentary.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #413
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Finally got the balls up to watch Dear Zachary myself.. In a word, it was incredible. Despite the roller coaster of emotion it takes you on, I think ultimately it is uplifting for the way it was done, why it was done, and who it was done for. In the end, I was reminded that even through the most tragic and helpless moments of life, theres always a reason to keep living. Very happy to see that the Bagby family found theirs.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #414
sabotai
General Manager

I've been watching Mad Men and am now in the middle of season 3. I think I've decided that I don't like the show. Every (main to some-what main) character on that show is a bad person, and I want bad things to happen to them. I think that's the only reason I'm still watching, but that's starting to fade pretty quickly.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #415
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I've been watching Mad Men and am now in the middle of season 3. I think I've decided that I don't like the show. Every (main to some-what main) character on that show is a bad person, and I want bad things to happen to them. I think that's the only reason I'm still watching, but that's starting to fade pretty quickly.

I don't understand why people like that show. Every single character is a horrible person. The setting/costumes/etc. are obviously great but the rest of the show sucks.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #416
Tigercat
College Starter

Wow. I don't think I find any of the regulars to be horrible people, or even necessarily bad people. Flawed people that do bad things, sure. Well maybe Betty at her worst is a bad person, just because she enjoys hurting Don for revenge, but other than that... And as far as good people, Peggy, Sal, Harry, and maybe even Cooper (among others) I would consider as "good" characters, in that I can't remember any of them doing blatantly"bad" things.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #417
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Expendables
Big Trouble in Little China
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #418
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone felt like the Instant selections have been getting worse? I know they added some CBS stuff and Mad Men, but movie wise, I can't find much I'm interested in seeing.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #419
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wife and I have been watching every episode of The Office via live stream on Netflix. We have seen some of them already, so we just skip ahead but it has been great because as busy as we are, we don't watch a whole lot of tv anymore. I love live streaming, and if I want to rent a movie I just go to Redbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #420
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone felt like the Instant selections have been getting worse? I know they added some CBS stuff and Mad Men, but movie wise, I can't find much I'm interested in seeing.

My Instant queue hovers around 90 so I have little worry for running out.

Watched Iron Monkey and Twilight Samurai. Iron Monkey was mindless fun. Twilight Samurai was a solid "simple man" type of story.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #421
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, pickings are pretty slim. I am a child of the 60's though so being able to watch old Hawaii 5-0 and Mission Impossible episodes is worth $8 to me. Add in Cheers, Wings, etc and right now I'm ok with the service.

If price goes up, without much improved content, or selection gets worse (say Starz play disappears or my old tv shows) and I'll have no problem canceling the service.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #422
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've mentioned before that I dont really watch many current movies on Netflix. 90+% of the time I am watching a documentary. Before netflix I was never really into doc's, but I have noticed that there are more and more documentaries that I have been wanting to watch that isn't available there. I do not know if that is:

1.) Netflix losing movies.

or

2.) My taste and interests are expanding and it's just impossible for them to have everything.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #423
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Cold Weather is worth a watch.. Just make sure you give it time to get moving.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #424
QuikSand
lolzcat

The documentary Forks Over Knives is apparently out and available to stream. Pretty powerful stuff if you're in tune at all with contemporary research on nutrition and health.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #425
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The documentary Forks Over Knives is apparently out and available to stream. Pretty powerful stuff if you're in tune at all with contemporary research on nutrition and health.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #426
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
The Expendables

Finally got around to watching it. It's about what I thought it was. I think Sly was a weak link which took away from it since he was the focal point of it. The storyline with the woman was underdeveloped. It was just, "we must save her."

13 Assassins.

Should have been named 13 Samurai instead. It's a remake of a 1963 film by the same name. Standard tale of a bunch of fighter types going out doing the good deal similar to Seven Samurai. It's rather violent. The big battle scene had to have run 30-45 minutes. I had to hit up wikipedia for one minor plot point that gets explained better there. It seems kind of thrown in though. There are subtitles. Still, it was rather good.

I see Roxanne is available as well. I think it gets lost in my list of great romantic comedies, so I wanted to watch it again and was just waiting for it to pop back up in my Instant queue.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #427
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Aaand it looks like Starz is out. Most of their stuff was filler, but the scary aspect of this from Netflix' point of view is that the Disney stuff was probably leaving anyway, and Starz was apparently still pushing for Netflix to raise prices on consumers again.

The big issue is that the more content Netflix gathers, the better an alternative to cable the service becomes. At the same time, the money Netflix was offering was only a third of what Starz gets through traditional cable operators. So Starz (and any other network with a library) sees huge revenue shortfalls if a Netflix subscription is good enough to cause someone to cancel cable. The interesting thing is that they were apparently pushing Netflix to raise prices immediately to bring them closer in line with cable subscription rates.

I thought it was pretty certain that in a couple of years Netflix was going to have to climb to $30-$40 per month just to afford all the content they wanted to make the streaming service attractive as a primary option. If any other content holder adopts this approach (and most all of the content holders these days also have a broadcast interest), Netflix moght see themselves put in the position of having to raise their prices just to make the deals, even if they can absorb the cost otherwise.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #428
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I put my money where my mouth was and pulled the plug on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #429
wade moore
lolzcat

It's going to be interesting to see what this all looks like 5 years from now.

If prices get up into the $30-$40 range, then the selection certainly would have to be dramatically better than what it is now. I've already cut to just streaming at the $8/month range. At that price, I'm fine with it being empty space filler for when there are not new shows to watch.

But at $30-$40, it would have to be a cable replacement for me. It's a LONG way off from that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #430
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Finally got around to watching it. It's about what I thought it was. I think Sly was a weak link which took away from it since he was the focal point of it. The storyline with the woman was underdeveloped. It was just, "we must save her."

You don't watch movies like The Expendables for the plot. Or character development. Or dialog. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #431
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what this all looks like 5 years from now.

If prices get up into the $30-$40 range, then the selection certainly would have to be dramatically better than what it is now. I've already cut to just streaming at the $8/month range. At that price, I'm fine with it being empty space filler for when there are not new shows to watch.

But at $30-$40, it would have to be a cable replacement for me. It's a LONG way off from that now.

When they start hitting $20+/month, I cut that cord as well. Spend the money on Blu-Rays and buying the occasional critical show from Amazon.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #432
RainMaker
General Manager

I understand that Starz may not have been a good deal for them and that the selection wasn't great. But they're really getting to a point where there is just not much at all worth streaming. I burned through a few TV shows they have and some old movies I never got around to seeing. But the selection is mainly independent stuff and cable TV shows.

I know they want to push people toward the streaming plans, but the selection will be pretty horrible without snatching up a big deal in the near future.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #433
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
When they start hitting $20+/month, I cut that cord as well. Spend the money on Blu-Rays and buying the occasional critical show from Amazon.
I think Amazon/Apple/Zune becomes a thorn in their side at some point if prices increase.

The Mad Men rights purchase seems like a bad move in retrospect. Netflix isn't necessarily about one show or movie, it's about having a huge selection to choose from. I think that $100 million would have been better off spent bringing in a large library from a studio.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #434
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think Amazon/Apple/Zune becomes a thorn in their side at some point if prices increase.

The Mad Men rights purchase seems like a bad move in retrospect. Netflix isn't necessarily about one show or movie, it's about having a huge selection to choose from. I think that $100 million would have been better off spent bringing in a large library from a studio.

Funny enough, Mad Men is the show I'm working through on their right now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #435
tarcone
Coordinator

Watched Forks over Knives. Pretty interesting show. Im considering changing my diet habits. I eat a lot of meat and processed foods right now. I have Type one diabetes and am tired a lot. Im wondering if a change in this direction would help. Also, Im wondering how easy of a lifestyle transition it would be. I think I am going to go to a bookstore today and look into purchasing a book on this and see if I can do it.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #436
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
You don't watch movies like The Expendables for the plot. Or character development. Or dialog. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Which is why I said it was about what I though it was. 13 Assassins had a bunch of violence once it got going and it was simply a far better film outside of the one random plot point.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #437
RainMaker
General Manager

Sorry guys, Forks over Knives is riddled with bullshit psuedo-science. It makes rather bold assumptions on a particular study that had many other variables in play. If you take from it "I should eat more veggies" then that's good. If you take from it "I must become a Vegan to live long", then that's not good.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #438
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry guys, Forks over Knives is riddled with bullshit psuedo-science. It makes rather bold assumptions on a particular study that had many other variables in play. If you take from it "I should eat more veggies" then that's good. If you take from it "I must become a Vegan to live long", then that's not good.

But Bill Clinton did it. The Vegan thing that is.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #439
tarcone
Coordinator

This is true. I dont think I will become a vegan, but I do need to limit the processed food. I am firm believer that processed food is an issue. Especially with kids. That, central air and video games, IMO, are the main culprits of obesity is our youth today.
Plus, I have a freezer full of dead cow that we bought last spring. Love me a good steak on the grill.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #440
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I am firm believer that processed food is an issue. Especially with kids. That, central air and video games, IMO, are the main culprits of obesity is our youth today.

They're also a good bit of what makes life seem at least tolerable for both them & their parents, all three represent significant upgrades over what generations past had. If that means a few extra inches of denim in the jeans, seems like a fair enough trade to me.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2011 at 01:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #441
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I might be going disc-only with Netflix soon, and use Amazon and Hulu for streaming...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #442
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They're also a good bit of what makes life seem at least tolerable for both them & their parents, all three represent significant upgrades over what generations past had. If that means a few extra inches of denim in the jeans, seems like a fair enough trade to me.

But what about the billions of dollars in health care costs? Is that tolerable?
Diabetes 2 is becoming an epidemic. Habits are formed in your youth. If you grew up sitting on the couch eating doritos and drinking mt. dew, you are more likely to do that when you are an adult.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #443
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I'm not paying for it ...

Quote:
If you grew up sitting on the couch eating doritos and drinking mt. dew, you are more likely to do that when you are an adult.

Gosh, good thing I prefer Diet Dew.

Look, my kid eats more broccoli in a month than chocolate. By his choice mind you. (Doritos, that's a different matter). But if enjoying X,Y, and/or Z is something that makes life more enjoyable, well, ain't none of us getting out alive anyway. I'd rather live to 55 & enjoy some of the little pleasures than to 85 worrying about every moment of enjoyment. And I've yet to find a single damned thing "healthy" that's remotely enjoyable. A life without (looks back at your quote) central air, video games and processed food? You can have your life without that stuff, but if you take mine away just be kind enough to shoot me now and please don't forget that anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice. Wounding me instead of killing me would be unjustifiably cruel.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-03-2011 at 12:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #444
tarcone
Coordinator

But you are paying for the billions of dollars, unless you dont carry insurance or are lucky enough to be wealthy and pay for everything in cash. Thats the issue. We do pay for it.
And i get the enjoy life thing. But is life that much more enjoyable when you cant get off the couch and move around easily? When it hurts your knees to walk or you have to take medication everyday of your life or your insurance rates increase every year to cover the costs of a disease that is very preventable, thats not real enjoyable. But Im just one person. And I might be way off base.
But you are right, it is every mans choice. I just hate paying for other peoples choices through my increased insurance rates.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you are paying for the billions of dollars, unless you dont carry insurance or are lucky enough to be wealthy and pay for everything in cash. Thats the issue. We do pay for it.

That was more of a subtle shot at the need to wean the gov't out of the health care business ... too subtle apparently, probably too abrupt a subject change (but that's where I was heading). Secondarily, it was a also about the need to get insurance back to what it was intended to be in the first place (hint: it shouldn't be for every sniffle)

Quote:
But is life that much more enjoyable when you cant get off the couch and move around easily?

If I never left this f'n room again - assuming the AC, the 360, and the 'net connection all worked, I could probably deal. I could count the number of places I go that are more enjoyable to me than this bat cave & have plenty of fingers left over. And over 95% of my job is done from the same space to boot.

Quote:
But Im just one person. And I might be way off base.

Hey, feel free to apply that to me just as much. I'm just throwing my own perspective into the pile.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #446
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I might be going disc-only with Netflix soon, and use Amazon and Hulu for streaming...

/tk

Honestly, though, if you don't think that Amazon/Hulu eventually run into the same issue, you're probably fooling yourself. Netflix is leading the curve because it's had the most growth in the space up to this point. If that growth transitions to another medium, the problems that caused that transition in the first place don't just go away. They re-manifest.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #447
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The thing that's tempting to me about Amazon is that prime is useful. I already split a prime account with my brother. But since he's the primary on it he gets the streaming. So for a relatively modest fee I get the prime service I already use plus the streaming. But the fact that Amazon has bundled these two things I think actually only reinforces the idea that it's not a long term solution. But for the short term I think I might be just fine with it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #448
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Honestly, though, if you don't think that Amazon/Hulu eventually run into the same issue, you're probably fooling yourself. Netflix is leading the curve because it's had the most growth in the space up to this point. If that growth transitions to another medium, the problems that caused that transition in the first place don't just go away. They re-manifest.

Well, to be frank, I haven't cut the cord nor do I intend do until something comes along that works. Truthfully, I use Netflix streaming to watch junk to fall asleep to. I don't watch much TV in general, and what they have streaming that I actually want to watch is minimal. What I really want to watch is stuff like Freaks and Geeks which can only be done via disc. So I'm not really thinking of cancelling Netflix streaming explicitly because of the Starz thing. It just barely meets my watching interests as-is.

Edit to add: I'm probably Netflix's ideal customer. I can't use Redbox for things I want to watch, so I'm probably going to keep both streaming and disc in the "short" term. And I'm kind of lazy, so I may never get around to cancelling.

I will say, though, I've had a LOT more issues lately streaming Netflix, and it's irritating me. Considering I mostly stream at 2 in the morning when I can't fall asleep or while waiting for drugs to kick in...

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 09-04-2011 at 08:08 AM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #449
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Diabetes 2 is becoming an epidemic. Habits are formed in your youth. If you grew up sitting on the couch eating doritos and drinking mt. dew, you are more likely to do that when you are an adult.
But processed foods and meat aren't really causing that. Eating too many calories is.

I somewhat agree with what Jon says. I mean I'm not going to put myself in a position where I die at 45. But I'm not giving up pizza during football games on Sunday.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #450
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I didn't see this movie. But my wife is a registered dietician and she's studied this stuff, the real science of it, and while I don't know what this movie is citing to, but it's pretty inrefuteable that a more plant-based diet is better for your health-wise than a more heavily meat-based diet and that processed foods can be quite harmful to you for various reasons. There's nothing "psuedo" about that.

It's one thing to acknowledge this, like Jon, me and many others I would suspect, and choose to continue to eat what they want for whatever reason, but it's quite another to claim it's not true.

Also, I don't see why deciding to be a vegan for health reasons (or whatever other reasons) is "not good"?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote