Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #7651
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Nah he'll just make another thread for it.

I didn't see any SJW or BLM or Trump discussions above?

Be glad to start a thread for you though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #7652
Edward64
Head Coach

Good progress with the vaccines ramping up + 3rd vaccine now. It won't ever be quick enough but May is better than July (and a heck of a lot better than developing countries). On the other hand, May probably means July before everyone gets their shots.

I like the emphasis on teachers for sure.

Quote:
President Biden said on Tuesday that the U.S. will produce enough vaccines for every adult in the U.S. by the end of May, while making a fresh push to vaccinate school staff over the next month.

"We're now on track to have enough vaccine supply for every adult in America by the end of May," Biden said, crediting his administration's efforts to boost production and moving up the timeline from the end of July, which is what the president was saying just a few weeks ago.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #7653
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't quite get why he threw May out there - I don't see the logic there. Though I suppose it might be that we're going so fast that they figure by May, everyone who wants one will have one because 30% of people don't want one.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #7654
molson
General Manager

The U.S. will collectively have the supply by May, that seems pretty clear, but it will take a while longer to actually distribute it.

I'm still not expecting mine until June or July. We have a trip planned for June in Boston, my girlfriend's family is going to meet some of my family, and it'll the first time I'll have seen anyone I'm related to in about 2 years. There's a good chance I will be the only one of the 10 people involved not vaccinated yet. I'm still going though. That might be the last straw for my mental health if I had to sit that out. I'll keep masking up and keeping my distance. Though it would be pretty glorious if I could get a vaccine a few weeks earlier and find my way into a Red Sox game.

Last edited by molson : 03-02-2021 at 11:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #7655
RainMaker
General Manager

Vaccine distribution seems weird. Been trying to get my parents the shot for weeks with no luck. Then I read about how towns in other states are going door to door giving the shots.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #7656
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

5000 years from now, long after humans have moved to other mediums or died off, FOFC will still be populated only by bots trying to sell things to each other using fake pleasantries and poor grammar.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-03-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #7657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The mask is the giveaway.

There are risk/reward reasons to open businesses. Reasonable people can disagree about that.

But the removal of the mask mandate is pure MAGA pandering. An absurdly low burden on people for a huge gain in preventing transmission.

The screeching on Next Door and Facebook last night and this morning is both amazing in its intensity and disheartening in its content. I guess you could say that for most interactions there. But, man, this one goes to 11.

There's a clear culture war divide (which makes it sound like there are two sides to be on reasonably), but even after pressing a number of folks, no one could tell me what will actually be open this weekend that wasn't open last weekend in this "reopening the economy". The excitement is clearly all about the oppression of face masks or something.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-03-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #7658
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife and I were discussing this last night and came to the conclusion this could very well hurt businesses. It forces them to chose a side. People who support stricter health measures aren't all of a sudden going to let their guard down, if fact I think they will get more vigilant, as the maniacs have now been let out of the asylum. On the flip side the anti maskers are going to flaunt it any way they can.

What this means is a business is going to lose a significant portion of their customer base regardless of which side they fall on. Still enforce masks, lose the anti maskers, open wide up, lose the support of the maskers. then there is the inevitable flood of fights breaking out we will see over this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #7659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola- also curious how the sports leagues in Texas handle this. Are we going to get 18k indoors at a Spurs game? What could possibly go wrong.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #7660
miami_fan
Coordinator

I may be switching to the "other side" re:the reopening of the states. Is it really that big of a deal? I feel like now we are in the place we anticipated being in last year around May/June.

I know this is not the case but in theory every one will have the vaccine by June. For most people, once they are vaccinated, everything begins to goes back to normal. I feel like that was what we all said earlier. I know that will be the case for me. Those that are not vaccinated will probably continue to adhere to the same protocols that they have until they do get vaccinated.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #7661
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I may be switching to the "other side" re:the reopening of the states. Is it really that big of a deal? I feel like now we are in the place we anticipated being in last year around May/June.

I know this is not the case but in theory every one will have the vaccine by June. For most people, once they are vaccinated, everything begins to goes back to normal. I feel like that was what we all said earlier. I know that will be the case for me. Those that are not vaccinated will probably continue to adhere to the same protocols that they have until they do get vaccinated.

One way or another, we have to figure out the next stage of this. COVID probably isn't going to entirely disappear, and we have no idea how long immunity from the vaccines last. There's a good chance it will be an ongoing cat-and-mouse game indefinitely. I think things CAN be back to normal by summer, but that requires us to make that choice even though COVID still exists and little outbreaks will still happen. There will always be resistance to opening anything up, and, I understand how even regular people are just getting exhausted with that. "Just a few more months". We could easily still be saying that in a few more months, and in a few more months after that, based on what our threshold and COVID risk tolerance is.

Last edited by molson : 03-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #7662
JPhillips
General Manager

FrankJScott is no Coconut.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #7663
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I have nothing to add other than I went to the gas station to get a chicken biscuit this AM (surprisingly delicious) and had to wait about 5 minutes.

All employees were masked. Of the 50 or so people who came in while I waited, I was 1 of the 3 who wore masks. At church Sunday, about 1/3 of the 150ish people there were maskless.

The South just doesn't give a shit.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #7664
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One way or another, we have to figure out the next stage of this. COVID probably isn't going to entirely disappear, and we have no idea how long immunity from the vaccines last. There's a good chance it will be an ongoing cat-and-mouse game indefinitely. I think things CAN be back to normal by summer, but that requires us to make that choice even though COVID still exists and little outbreaks will still happen. There will always be resistance to opening anything up, and, I understand how even regular people are just getting exhausted with that. "Just a few more months". We could easily still be saying that in a few more months, and in a few more months after that, based on what our threshold and COVID risk tolerance is.

I think the key words are choice and normal. I acknowledge that I have the privilege to make many choices to avoid risky COVID behaviors that others may not have. I think that the lack of choice drives most of the hesitancy that I see now. I am sure the same can be said about opening up. As far as normal goes, I don't know how we can just erase everything we have learned in the last year to go back to normal the November 2019 edition. For example, I can't imagine sitting in a packed waiting room with a bunch of sick people unmasked when I could just as easily sit in the car and have them call me when it is time to go in.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #7665
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I am getting my first dose tomorrow and don't intend on changing a thing I'm doing. Still masking up, still not eating at restaurants, etc. It doesn't really change much in my mind. It's just added protection, but for how long no one can tell us and I don't even think they know whether a vaccinated person can be a "carrier." I believe all a vaccine does is stop you from getting it or from getting really sick; it doesn't necessarily mean you can't spread it. I think that's the case for all vaccines, right?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #7666
miami_fan
Coordinator

Since the vaccine was made available, I have been unable to get an appointment for either my mother or mother in law to get their first does through the state. Everything was booked up solid and/or no vaccines were available. Today the federal govt opened up one of the state's four federally funded vaccine sites. Of course, our governor did not initially want the sites calling them "FEMA camps" but that is enough on that.

Well I took my mother and mother in law down to the local FEMA camp manned by mostly Air Force personnel for what I can tell. We arrived at about 1:15pm with no appointment for either. I started my car at 1:52pm with both women receiving their 1st Pfizer doses including filling out the required paperwork on site and waiting for 20 minutes for any reactions to the injections. Both say they feel fine. I would say there were about 50-60 people in the waiting area and the end. I had a quick conversation with one of the NCOs that was there and she said that this was the smallest number of people that they had there to that point. Now I just need to get my wife hers and I will be a little bit more at ease.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #7667
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
The mask is the giveaway.

There are risk/reward reasons to open businesses. Reasonable people can disagree about that.

But the removal of the mask mandate is pure MAGA pandering. An absurdly low burden on people for a huge gain in preventing transmission.

When you talk about the costs associated with the pandemic, I am sensitive to that argument. Closing stores, schools, other restrictions, etc., all have a cost. Wearing an effing mask costs... what? Your manhood? It's so stupid.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #7668
miami_fan
Coordinator

Apologies if someone has already posted this one. This has some answers to many of the questions we had about the vaccination rollout. Should be available to all.

Behind America’s Botched Vaccination Rollout: Fragmented Communication, Misallocated Supply - WSJ
Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #7669
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I believe all a vaccine does is stop you from getting it or from getting really sick; it doesn't necessarily mean you can't spread it. I think that's the case for all vaccines, right?

The good news is that there is a lot of anecdotal evidence building up that the vaccines do prevent you from being a carrier. To my knowledge, no formal studies have come out (and I'm sure that we will hear when they do). But the general trend of what people are seeing is apparently very encouraging.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #7670
Edward64
Head Coach

My wife was able to make an appt in Alabama for both 1st and 2nd shots. Apparent they take out of state teachers.

Frakking GA.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #7671
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wife was able to make an appointment for the first shot through Publix for Monday (one day before students come into the building in Dekalb County, GA - I know it takes two weeks for immunity benefits of any shots). She's very happy. Publix had a lot of slots this morning for next week or seems.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #7672
Edward64
Head Coach

I was able to make an appt for Wed for a shot at Publix.

Wife called and said she found out from a co-worker that Publix was taking appts and she was able to sign up (she cancelled the AL appt). She told me the site did not ask for any eligibility info (e.g. are you a healthcare provider, a teacher, over 65+ etc.), just basic demographic info.

So I went to the site and sure enough. I was able to sign up without lying (clean conscience). I went back to the site after, everything was booked up but it said GA was going to Phase 1b next week.

In earlier readings, I did not think I qualified for 1b (which I knew included teachers) and I was eligible in Phase 2. But in reading eligibility for GA 1b, it said something like parents of X, Y, Z and X = serious asthma children. My daughter had bad asthma and uses prescription albuterol & some sort of steroid so I figure that I'm qualified here.

The ethical dilemma is that my daughter is a college kids (so is she still a child?), asthma has gotten better but she does keep the albuterol handy for once-in-a-while incidents. I think arguably I qualify but am amazed they are willing to give shots to "parents of" but not the kids with the actual asthma. If they were, I would give my daughter my slot.

I think I'll take the shot but can't help but feel I gamed the system some. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-05-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #7673
miami_fan
Coordinator

Given the corruption that I have seen with vaccine distribution so far, I can't really get too worked up about your situation Edward. It feels like one of those letter of the law vs spirit of the law situations. If they say you are eligible, then you are eligible. Take the vaccine.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #7674
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wouldn't feel guilty at all, especially because you didn't lie and say you were a smoker or something. There are plenty of people who are eligible who are choosing not to get it. You also have to consider everyone vaccinated, regardless of health, age, etc....gets us closer to herd immunity.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #7675
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks guys. I feel better.

(If there is anyone here that thinks this is wrong, interested in hearing your opinion)

BTW - I noticed in my confirmation printout that they scheduled my 2nd shot on April 7. That's a bonus and guess this is the Moderna or Pfizer and not the 1-shot J&J.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #7676
Edward64
Head Coach

I somewhat see his argument but honestly think he is being stupid and short-sighted. I would not be happy if I lived in Detroit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/healt...ine/index.html
Quote:
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan declined an initial allocation of the newly authorized Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine this week even as nationwide demand continues to outpace available supply.

Duggan, a Democrat who has been mayor since 2014, said he turned down the shipment because the city is able to meet current demand with its supply of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines -- even as his administration expanded vaccine eligibility Thursday to residents ages 50 and older with chronic medical conditions.

"So, Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best. And I am going to do everything I can to make sure the residents of the City of Detroit get the best," Duggan said during a news conference Thursday.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #7677
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks guys. I feel better.

(If there is anyone here that thinks this is wrong, interested in hearing your opinion)

BTW - I noticed in my confirmation printout that they scheduled my 2nd shot on April 7. That's a bonus and guess this is the Moderna or Pfizer and not the 1-shot J&J.

Just remember, if you give away your slot, then some asshole like me could get the shot instead of you and no one wants that.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #7678
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've seen a lot of talk of J&J as a second-class vaccine.

I think that the public health folks really need to get ahead of this. We lose a LOT of effectiveness if folks stay unvaccinated so they can wait for the "best."
Old 03-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #7679
miami_fan
Coordinator

Uncle Sam (actually my local VA) just sent me a text saying they have appointments available next week for the vaccine. I have my appointment next week. So the feds say I am eligible, the state says nah.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:55 AM   #7680
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I've seen a lot of talk of J&J as a second-class vaccine.

I think that the public health folks really need to get ahead of this. We lose a LOT of effectiveness if folks stay unvaccinated so they can wait for the "best."

Well, let's be honest here. J&J is second class in efficacy when compared to Moderna & Pfizer. It has the benefit of 1-shot and also something like 100% prevents death.

Regarding the preventing death, nothing is 100% so I think they are overplaying that. Also, as some here have commented, there are serious side effects for "some" (I don't think we know the %) that recover such as loss of taste. With this in mind, it makes sense that "all things held equal" that I would very much prefer higher efficacy.

But all things are not equal, so yeah, IMO J&J is second class but still pretty game good all things considered. So I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I assume I can pay for Moderna & Pfizer out of pocket 6 months down the road or something.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:13 AM   #7681
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Uncle Sam (actually my local VA) just sent me a text saying they have appointments available next week for the vaccine. I have my appointment next week. So the feds say I am eligible, the state says nah.

I assume you signed-up with the VA to get a place in line? or did they just text you out of the blue?

Brought up the question about vaccination for military. It does seem military are Phase 1a (or their own special phase). Below article below is as of Feb 2. Total US active and reserves are < 2.5M so the 800K and % of does far exceeds non-military. Makes sense to me especially if you are cooped up in the Pentagon, or in a ship/sub, or in a foreign country.

This is why so few troops have gotten the COVID-19 vaccine
Quote:
According to the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tallies, the Defense Department has distributed more than 800,000 doses of the novel coronavirus vaccine, but has only put about 60 percent of those “shots in arms,” as the tagline goes.

There are several reasons for this lag, Air Force Brig. Gen. Paul Friedrichs told Military Times on Thursday, most of them similar to reports out of every corner of the country.

“What we’re seeing right now is similar to what we’re seeing across the entire United States, in that there’s ... a higher percentage of people who are older who are opting to have the vaccine, and it trends down with age,” Friedrichs said.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #7682
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I assume you signed-up with the VA to get a place in line? or did they just text you out of the blue?

Brought up the question about vaccination for military. It does seem military are Phase 1a (or their own special phase). Below article below is as of Feb 2. Total US active and reserves are < 2.5M so the 800K and % of does far exceeds non-military. Makes sense to me especially if you are cooped up in the Pentagon, or in a ship/sub, or in a foreign country.

This is why so few troops have gotten the COVID-19 vaccine

I get healthcare from the VA so they is why they texted me.

The military does have their own categories with the military. For example, people deploying overseas were eligible before those that were not and so on. This is why I was questioning the transitioning through the phases in the general public. Since it is still voluntary, if the 23 year old E-3 deploying overseas decided she did not want the vaccine, that is cool. A 45 year old E-8 in a different category might get the call to get that dose if they want it.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #7683
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was able to make an appt for Wed for a shot at Publix.

Wife called and said she found out from a co-worker that Publix was taking appts and she was able to sign up (she cancelled the AL appt). She told me the site did not ask for any eligibility info (e.g. are you a healthcare provider, a teacher, over 65+ etc.), just basic demographic info.

So I went to the site and sure enough. I was able to sign up without lying (clean conscience). I went back to the site after, everything was booked up but it said GA was going to Phase 1b next week.

In earlier readings, I did not think I qualified for 1b (which I knew included teachers) and I was eligible in Phase 2. But in reading eligibility for GA 1b, it said something like parents of X, Y, Z and X = serious asthma children. My daughter had bad asthma and uses prescription albuterol & some sort of steroid so I figure that I'm qualified here.

The ethical dilemma is that my daughter is a college kids (so is she still a child?), asthma has gotten better but she does keep the albuterol handy for once-in-a-while incidents. I think arguably I qualify but am amazed they are willing to give shots to "parents of" but not the kids with the actual asthma. If they were, I would give my daughter my slot.

I think I'll take the shot but can't help but feel I gamed the system some. What do you guys think?

FYI, my wife who has an appointment at Publix got a call today from Publix asking about her eligibility (since she's under 65). She told them she was a teacher and they said thanks. You may be getting a call a few days before your appointment, asking the same thing.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-06-2021 at 05:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #7684
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
FYI, my wife who has an appointment at Publix got a call today from Publix asking about her eligibility (since she's under 65). She told them she was a teacher and they said thanks. You may be getting a call a few days before your appointment, asking the same thing.

Thanks. My wife did get a call also yesterday and she confirmed she was a teacher. But I have not yet received a call.

I can honestly say parent of a severe asthmatic child who has albuterol prescription and has taken steroids.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #7685
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That may get you in. I am actually not sure what is the criteria in terms of caretaker. Hopefully that suffices.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #7686
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That may get you in. I am actually not sure what is the criteria in terms of caretaker. Hopefully that suffices.

In earlier eligibility stuff I read, I did not see the "parents of" below qualification. But this is from the Publix site.

COVID Vaccine | Georgia Department of Public Health
Quote:
Beginning March 8, 2021, the following groups will also be eligible for COVID vaccine:

Educators and staff (Pre-K, K-12, DECAL licensed or exempt childcare programs)
Adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their caregivers
Intellectual Disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations in both intellectual functioning and in adaptive behavior, which covers many everyday social and practical skills. This disability originates before the age of 22.

A developmental disability is a physical or mental impairment that happens before the age of 22, is expected to last a lifetime, and impacts at least three activities of daily living. Activities of daily living include self-care; receptive and expressive language; learning; mobility; self-direction; capacity for independent living; and economic self-sufficiency.

Parents of children with complex medical conditions who are at high risk for COVID complications
Malignancies requiring active treatment
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) including organ transplant (bone marrow or solid organ) within 2 years
Critical congenital heart disease
Asthma (moderate to severe)
Sickle cell disease
Diabetes
Obesity (BMI >95%)
Cystic fibrosis
Significant neurologic injury or condition (e.g. hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, traumatic brain injury, congenital anomaly, acute flaccid myelitis) with functional/developmental impairment (e.g. cerebral palsy, developmental disability, prematurity, mitochondrial disease)
Technology dependence (e.g. BiPAP, trach)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #7687
JPhillips
General Manager

Hearing a lot of people now getting shots at various locations. I'm getting very optimistic for what the summer is going to look like.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #7688
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Hearing a lot of people now getting shots at various locations. I'm getting very optimistic for what the summer is going to look like.

Since we have been working from home, my company turned our office into a clinic and vaccinated over 5,000 people yesterday.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #7689
molson
General Manager

The U.S. is starting to kick some serious ass on vaccinations. 2.9 million today. That pace is enough to give doses to 70% of the U.S. adult population in under 50 days. (that's if we were starting from scratch - but of course we've already given 88 million dosages.)

My state, which has not been great at dealing with COVID, but is picking up in vaccinations, had 104 new COVID cases today - our peak was 2,298 in a day on December 9. Suck it COVID!

Last edited by molson : 03-06-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:07 PM   #7690
JPhillips
General Manager

Saw a video of Idaho kids burning a bag of used masks.

Who lets their kids play with used masks?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 PM   #7691
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Who lets their kids be in Idaho?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #7692
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

It reminded me of the film footage of kids burning beatles albums. Same dull blank expressions
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:55 AM   #7693
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news on the effectiveness of just 1 (of 2) shot I guess. I don't have great perspective but the "real world study" of 57%-60% is still pretty good.

Single dose of AstraZeneca or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine cuts hospitalization risk by more than 80%, study shows - MarketWatch
Quote:
A single dose of either the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccine or the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 shot cuts the risk of hospital admission among older adults by more than 80% percent, Public Health England (PHE) said, citing a preprint study.

The real world study, which was published on Monday and hasn’t yet been peer-reviewed, showed that protection against any COVID-19 symptoms in those over 70 ranged between 57% and 61% for one dose of the Pfizer–BioNTech shot, and between 60% and 73% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford one four weeks after the first shot.

PHE said the data suggested the vaccine from U.S. drug company Pfizer PFE, +0.56% caused an 83% reduction in COVID-19 deaths among the over-80s. There were no equivalent data for the vaccine from Anglo-Swedish drug company AstraZeneca AZN, +1.76%, which began to be administered at a later date.
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #7694
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, let's be honest here. J&J is second class in efficacy when compared to Moderna & Pfizer. It has the benefit of 1-shot and also something like 100% prevents death.

Regarding the preventing death, nothing is 100% so I think they are overplaying that. Also, as some here have commented, there are serious side effects for "some" (I don't think we know the %) that recover such as loss of taste. With this in mind, it makes sense that "all things held equal" that I would very much prefer higher efficacy.

But all things are not equal, so yeah, IMO J&J is second class but still pretty game good all things considered. So I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I assume I can pay for Moderna & Pfizer out of pocket 6 months down the road or something.

I don't have them at my fingertips, but I remember seeing in a couple of places that one of the potential reasons J&J showed less effective could be because part of the clinical trial was while the variants were spreading and we have inconclusive data about how well Moderna/Pfizer do against the E484K variants. It was a theory, tho, not conclusive.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #7695
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Did get a call from Publix. Told them not a teacher, not 65+ but parent of a child that had asthma and has taken albuterol and steroid. Said I was good to go this Wed.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-08-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #7696
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good news!

SI

Old 03-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #7697
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

J&J did their trials when more variants were out there and more overseas than Moderna/Pfizer.

People are saying you really just can’t compare the two. Moderna/Pfizer might be better. But we really don’t know right now.

We do have strong evidence that all three are very good w/very low side effects
Old 03-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #7698
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio just started including Type 2 diabetics, so got my wife an appointment for Saturday.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #7699
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife (teacher) had her first shot today. It was Moderna, slight soreness but nothing else of note.

We celebrated with Red Robin burgers.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #7700
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Wife (teacher) had her first shot today. It was Moderna, slight soreness but nothing else of note.

We celebrated with Red Robin burgers.

Man, I miss Red robin. At least once a month pre covid we would go to Red robin then the movies.