Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #7701
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Man, I miss Red robin. At least once a month pre covid we would go to Red robin then the movies.

Order to go?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #7702
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Order to go?

It isn't really a convenient spot for us, about 30 minutes away. That's why we would build it all in to the day.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #7703
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It isn't really a convenient spot for us, about 30 minutes away. That's why we would build it all in to the day.

Mine is only 2 miles away.

There's a restaurant that we really like but is about 40 min away. Wife and I have talked about ordering while in the car, picking it up, and then eating in the car in the parking lot. Kinda like Sonic, a cheap date night.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #7704
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Mine is only 2 miles away.

There's a restaurant that we really like but is about 40 min away. Wife and I have talked about ordering while in the car, picking it up, and then eating in the car in the parking lot. Kinda like Sonic, a cheap date night.

I did that recently. I own some commercial real estate in the town I grew up in, about 30 minutes away. Best pizza in the world down the street. The place has been around 100 years. I had to do something in town and ordered a pie and ate it steaming hot in the car. Was amazing.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #7705
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've actually come to like curbside pickup better than being in the restaurant. I bring the food home, warm it up or crisp it up in the toaster oven just like I want it, and it's frankly better than in the restaurant. I want my food hot enough to burn my mouth and no place will serve it as hot as I want it - now I can take care of it myself. And I don't have to pay for drinks (although I guess the extra I've been tipping more than makes up for the savings on drinks).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #7706
miked
College Starter

Yep. Got me some Grindhouse Killer Burger last night, they opened a new one in Brookhaven about 10 minutes from me. Pickup, home in 10 minutes, and still warm. If my wife did not like eating out so much, I would not go to restaurants any more

Did go to the Beltline last week to eat outside, and we are both vaccinated, so it was not too bad. But pretty soon it will be 90 degrees and nobody will want to sit outside any more.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:44 PM   #7707
molson
General Manager

A year ago today was our last normal sports day. The NBA got in a few games the next day, but also cancelled two others, and that was that. I remember how fast it happened. Looking back at this thread, even on the 10th, we were kind of stunned at the prospect of the NBA and NCAA playing without fans. By the next day, it was all over.

I remember in the months to come, being so excited about Korean baseball with robot cheerleaders, and even Belarus hockey - which was the one thing that just continued on uninterrupted for some reason.

I wonder when the first day back is that we'll have full crowds everywhere, across all sports. Will we do that in the summer if the virus turns COVID into a much rarer thing? Or will things still get shut down, or games played without crowds, when there's a small outbreak here and there?

Last edited by molson : 03-10-2021 at 10:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #7708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think of March 11th, 2020 as the "last normal day" before the pandemic. WHO declared COVID a pandemic on that day. And then, within a couple hour period in the evening: the NBA shut down, Tom Hanks said he had COVID on social media, and Trump announced his travel ban on national TV. Each of those spoke to different segments of the population and they happened in such quick succession that it went from theoretical to tangible very quickly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #7709
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The NBA shutting down was the tipping point for me from "I wonder how bad this might get" to "Oh, this is already worse than I realized."

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-11-2021 at 07:33 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #7710
JPhillips
General Manager

It was also the last night of Broadway. I know because I was supposed to take 20 students to see a show.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #7711
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The NBA shutting down was the tipping point for me from "I wonder how bad this might get" to "Oh, this is already worse than I realized."

When conference basketball tournaments started getting cancelled that was when it hit me. I remember there was a Big East game at noon. they played the first half then shut it down. I knew at that point this was real.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #7712
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am going to go back later today and look over some of the early comments. should be interesting.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #7713
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It was huge in Houston because it was also the day they shut down the Rodeo (900K people had already come and gone but it was only halfway through). My wife and I had been kicking around going the previous weekend but I was like "a whole lotta nope" as we got closer to it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #7714
Ksyrup

My wife was in Florida for my daughter's spring break college softball tournament and in the span of like 18 hours it went from "once this tournament is over they're going to assess next week" to "we're probably playing through Friday and coming home early" to "we're probably coming home after Wednesday's game" to "we just came off the field and the season is canceled and we've been told to pack up and go home for the rest of the school year."

They came home and we had our last meal in a restaurant that Saturday the 14th. The following week, all non-essential businesses were shut down so I rushed out to get a haircut within 30 minutes of the announcement and that's the last haircut I got from a professional. My wife now does it and frankly, I'm not sure I'll pay for a haircut again.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #7715
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

NBA shutting down and Tom Hanks getting it were the reality checks for me.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #7716
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I remember that my work had an out of town conference planned for the end of May. And my co-worker and I were excited about going.

And when this was all starting to happen in March and things started getting pushed back, we said to each other "Well, I'm glad that our conference is in late May so COVID will be under control by then and we can still go."
Old 03-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #7717
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I remember that my work had an out of town conference planned for the end of May. And my co-worker and I were excited about going.

And when this was all starting to happen in March and things started getting pushed back, we said to each other "Well, I'm glad that our conference is in late May so COVID will be under control by then and we can still go."

We had a Disney cruise scheduled over thanksgiving and had the same thoughts. Once in saw what was happening on those ships my stance changed pretty quickly.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #7718
lungs
Pro Rookie

The vaccine floodgate is opening in Wisconsin. The announced list of pre-existing conditions making one eligible includes obesity. That would make 64% of the state, including myself, eligible. They will probably prioritize those with multiple pre-existing conditions. But now I won’t have to fake being a farmer to get vaccinated.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #7719
Ksyrup

If you base obesity on the BMI chart, I bet 75% of the country is technically obese. I'm 5'9", weigh 170-172 lbs and run 30 miles a week and technically I'm overweight.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #7720
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If you base obesity on the BMI chart, I bet 75% of the country is technically obese. I'm 5'9", weigh 170-172 lbs and run 30 miles a week and technically I'm overweight.

No way! That is bull crap.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #7721
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty much impossible to get a vaccine here still. Just no appointments available.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #7722
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Pretty much impossible to get a vaccine here still. Just no appointments available.

Same. I finally found some and by the time I filled out my information, the appointment availability disappeared. It's like fricking ticketmaster
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #7723
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess they pop up around 6am and are gone in minutes. All this talk about a vaccine available for everyone by May 1 means jack shit if you can't get enough places to administer it.

My fear is my elderly parents won't get it by the time they allow everyone to get it and will have to wait even longer while younger people flood the schedule.

Probably a state by state thing but Illinois is trash.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #7724
Ksyrup

Quote:
No way! That is bull crap.

5'9" 170 is overweight according to the official US BMI calculator. It's ridiculous.

To be obese at that height, you need to weigh over 200 lbs., but that seems to be more the rule than the exception in the people I see on a day to day basis. In Kentucky...

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
Old 03-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #7725
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think there are two factors on the BMI thing, not to get too off-topic here. One is that we've lost our perspective on what healthy is due to the fact that so many people are overweight. What we tend to think of as 'a few extra pounds' is often borderline obese. But also, BMI doesn't take into account your natural build; i.e. people who are legitimately 'big-boned' find it almost impossible to fit into the guidelines. That's only going to shift BMI by about 2-3 points though.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #7726
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think there are two factors on the BMI thing, not to get too off-topic here. One is that we've lost our perspective on what healthy is due to the fact that so many people are overweight. What we tend to think of as 'a few extra pounds' is often borderline obese. But also, BMI doesn't take into account your natural build; i.e. people who are legitimately 'big-boned' find it almost impossible to fit into the guidelines. That's only going to shift BMI by about 2-3 points though.

That is me. I am 6-2/ 210 with a wide frame. Last time I was in the 180 range I was in high school.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #7727
JPhillips
General Manager

Just had a student inform me they tested positive after my in-person class yesterday. I'm probably fine, as I've had my first shot, but I don't know what this may mean for quarantine and my second shot scheduled for next Friday.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #7728
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

There is more variance here than you are stating depending on the person. I am between 6-2 and 6-3
260 pounds. I'm naturally bigger and also have lifted weights reasonably often for many years but even at my skinniest point with extreme calorie restriction at around 18 I weighed 210. 235-240 is probably my ideal fairly fit weight but I'd still be obese according to bmi. I'm not ever getting into the what is considered the ideal range for bmi unless I literally starve myself and stop physical activity

Last edited by Danny : 03-12-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #7729
Edward64
Head Coach

Somewhat interesting article on possible vaccine passports. It will cause some "discrimination" for those that haven't yet gotten the shot ... those that want but not yet available, those that can't because it's not yet been approved, and those unwilling. Also, the passport will cause "discrimination" globally also.

And vaccine passports will likely discrimination in hiring practices (e.g. all things held equal, it would be prudent for employer at a fast food to just hire a vaccinated person).

These issues won't be a problem after 1 or 2 years but until then, I think it's a fair concern.

Opinion: COVID vaccine passports may be coming — what’s the downside? - MarketWatch
Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #7730
Edward64
Head Coach

Had my shot on Wed so 4 days now. Shoulder is still a little sore but no big deal. Thu was the worst (but not too bad). Daughter (asthma) was able to make an appt.

Told the kids planning on Galaxy's Edge this Christmas. I figure we'll be over this by then (unless there is a nasty surprise with mutants). My guess is theme parks will be open and masks will be voluntary. Give everyone something to look forward to.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-14-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #7731
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It doesn't take account muscle either. Adrian Peterson is considered obese by BMI.

It really should be done by body fat percentage.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #7732
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, an opinion piece on something many of us have asked ourselves

Am I a jerk for getting a COVID-19 vaccine if I feel healthy and work from home? - MarketWatch
Quote:
Eli Karp, a 20-year-old student in Evanston, Ill., has already received his first dose. He didn’t feel comfortable sharing the news on Facebook, however. “It’s weird to see someone my age get it when there are a lot of people who can’t,” said Karp, whose body-mass index (BMI) score made him eligible in his state. “Even though I got it completely legitimately, there’s lots of vaccine jealousy out there, and I’m not on [social media] to foster that,” he said.
:
:
At this point, the ethicists MarketWatch spoke with agree that it’s important to just get shots in people’s arms right now — especially after President Joe Biden pledged last week that all U.S. adults will be eligible for vaccines by May 1.

“If you cut in line, I don’t like it, I’m not happy about it, but I think you’re only delaying somebody else’s vaccine for weeks at this point,” said Dr. Caplan. “It’s very important to get vaccinated. It’s probably less important if you’re 20 and in good health than if you’re 70 and obese and have a bunch of other diseases, but nonetheless, it’s important to be vaccinated to protect others who you come in contact with from getting sick. So I’m not going to criticize anyone for taking whatever steps they can.”

Still, there are some moves that are clearly wrong, such as misrepresenting yourself by lying about your medical history, or pretending to live in a city or state to qualify. For example, when a vaccination site was opened in Washington Heights in upper Manhattan specifically to serve the local, largely Hispanic community, there were reports of people driving down from the suburbs of Westchester to take advantage of the ample appointment slots and short lines.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #7733
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I have a buddy who firmly believes you should simply get it as soon as you can, damn the consequences. His rationale is that it's not an equitable system, there is no enforcement, and we aren't doing enough to actually prioritize well.

He and I align on most things, but I don't know how I feel about that justification.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:30 PM   #7734
molson
General Manager

I'm not going to falsify a form to get it, even a checkbox on a website. But, I am about two quickly-moving categories away and am on a bunch of wait lists, so, I'll get mine soon enough, hopefully.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #7735
Ksyrup

Quote:
FWIW, an opinion piece on something many of us have asked ourselves

Am I a jerk for getting a COVID-19 vaccine if I feel healthy and work from home? - MarketWatch

First of all, you don't want to share it on social media but you're OK being quoted with full name in an article that will be shared on social media. Oh-kay?

Second of all, what this guy did is not "cut in line." Anyone who is eligible has every right to get a shot. He didn't take someone else's spot. He got the same appointment anyone else could get.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #7736
henry296
College Starter

Pennsylvania is still in 1A which is primarily health care and population over 65. However, it is the state with 8th highest percent of population in that age group so it will take longer to get through them all. On the other hand Georgia ranks 47th which is one of the reasons why they have been able to open up to more people. Alaska is also very low and one of the states that has vaccinated a high percentage.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #7737
miami_fan
Coordinator

This part of the article speaks to not only the debate about who gets the vaccine first, but almost every debate related to COVID-19.

Quote:
“It raises different issues that have nothing to do with the vaccine; it’s got to do with attitudes about personal responsibility, and about people who are seen as not taking care of themselves as well,” Caplan said. “I don’t think we pay attention to who goes first and who goes next just because it’s the COVID vaccine; it’s partly because we’re having, in the background, a very uncomfortable discussion about, ‘Am I more important than you?’ and ‘Who is ‘essential?’”
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #7738
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Some of the language we used could have been thought out better.

When we were making cost/benefit decisions about how much social contact to have, we kept framing it in terms of keeping "essential" businesses open. That's a bad term to use. Very few people who work don't need the money. So every job is "essential" on some level.

Same thing with vaccines. I understand what states mean when they say "essential" workers. Nurses and prison guards have jobs that they cannot do remotely that constantly put them in contact with ultra-high risk populations.

But we shouldn't frame it as that they are "essential" in a way that accountants aren't. We should talk about high-risk jobs, etc.

Language matters.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #7739
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio is opening the vaccines to obese adults this Friday. They're opening it up to all adults on the 29th.

Do I need a doctor's note saying I'm obese? Or can I just walk in with my 35 BMI. And I'm not Adrian Peterson.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #7740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ohio is opening the vaccines to obese adults this Friday. They're opening it up to all adults on the 29th.

Do I need a doctor's note saying I'm obese? Or can I just walk in with my 35 BMI. And I'm not Adrian Peterson.

I’m diabetic so I qualified. No one asked me why I qualified when I went. I suspect you will be fine. They really don’t have the time to screen everyone.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #7741
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Some of the language we used could have been thought out better.

When we were making cost/benefit decisions about how much social contact to have, we kept framing it in terms of keeping "essential" businesses open. That's a bad term to use. Very few people who work don't need the money. So every job is "essential" on some level.

Same thing with vaccines. I understand what states mean when they say "essential" workers. Nurses and prison guards have jobs that they cannot do remotely that constantly put them in contact with ultra-high risk populations.

But we shouldn't frame it as that they are "essential" in a way that accountants aren't. We should talk about high-risk jobs, etc.

Language matters.

As you were mentioning "essential" workers, I thought immediately about during snow storms that they often mention that essential workers should still report. I'm wondering at the beginning that borrowed that approach as part of the crisis management process.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #7742
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This part of the article speaks to not only the debate about who gets the vaccine first, but almost every debate related to COVID-19.

The thing about personal responsibility and taking care of yourself is interesting in its randomness. Apparently so many people objected to smokers being part of the early groups that the CDC removed them, but isn't eating a big mac and fries on a daily basis as much a choice as smoking in terms of adverse health consequences?
Old 03-17-2021, 03:20 AM   #7743
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://abc13.com/woman-resists-offi...78b-OnKr1KyNRs

Wanna see a white woman arrested in texas?
Old 03-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #7744
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Guarantee Fox News runs with the story she was arrested for not wearing a mask when that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #7745
miami_fan
Coordinator

I really am looking forward to the reactions when others decide to be rebellious about other things besides wearing a mask. We have had about three weeks of people with "Don't Tread On Me" avatars arguing in the community Facebook group about stiffening the guidelines of people, let's be honest women, sunbathing in their yards.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #7746
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Saw a house flying an all black American flag next to a "Don't Tread on Me" flag. I always wonder why men like to advertise their small penis so boldly.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #7747
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Saw a house flying an all black American flag next to a "Don't Tread on Me" flag. I always wonder why men like to advertise their small penis so boldly.

Someone in my neighborhood took down their Trump flag and replaced it with a Space force flag
Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #7748
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The thing about personal responsibility and taking care of yourself is interesting in its randomness. Apparently so many people objected to smokers being part of the early groups that the CDC removed them, but isn't eating a big mac and fries on a daily basis as much a choice as smoking in terms of adverse health consequences?

It is. But at least people who eat poorly have the argument that they have to eat something. I agree with your point in general. Americans are swamped with bad food options everywhere they go. It takes real willpower to consistently eat well.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-17-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #7749
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just to keep things in perspective, roughly 8500 (based on the 7 day avg) people have died from covid in the last week. That's still a really big number.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #7750
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

gah! new mutation in stupidityville Duhsyltucky....

Freaking unvaccinated assholes entered a nursing home and hospitalized 4 unvaccinated resident and 1 vaccinated one.