Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2004, 03:52 PM   #151
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Well then, i guess the fun starts sooner then i expected. Reod, the back will be secure...if the back falls, it will only be due to my death. And that death will be accompanied by countless enemies! Mage, i fully expect if they come behind us for a charge in some sorts by me into their lines or a flank. I am a very skilled charger and can do more damage that way then any other way. Any help you could provide would be more then welcome. Not that im care or anything, but just for reference do you know how to resurrect the dead? " Dereth smirked at his comment, and figured a little humor would lighten up the mood...for if the enemy was to attack, it would not come any slower if we were arguing or cooperation, and we would survive much better cooperating. "Nightion, do you see any movement in the trees? Or maybe some sign of a trap ahead?"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #152
Vince
Pro Starter

"I'm afraid dead is dead, Dereth," said Xypheus somewhat scornfully. "I do no bargaining with gods over lives...and even if I did, I'm not sure you'd warrant my time. Suffice it to say that you're of better service to the group alive and well -- don't go doing anything stupid. I can support a charge to some extent...but I'm not so certain it would be a good idea for us to split up in the case of a barbarian raid. I'll leave the tactical strategy to others, however."
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:42 PM   #153
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion didnt feel that usual tingling on the back of his neck, but the others were surely acting apprehensive...Searching in the trees and high grass, the Ranger's keen eyes found nothing.

"If enemies lie in wait, they do so blended in, but this is thier for give the pun, "neck of the woods". i suspect we will have ample time to bring our arms to bear if thier are troubles"

Nightion returned to scanning what was in front of him...Strange he thought how some of the group were already bickering with one another, as if they were all ten and boasting of who can pee farthest. He did agree that he cared nothing of Azarans, but always taking things in balance, he realized he hadnt had a meaningful conversation with one eithier..... No, he would not be predjudice to anyone in the group unless they gave him reason....Nightion nodded to himself, his conclusion satisfying him...He focused his attention on the trail
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #154
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich laughed to himself for a moment at the Mage's comments before adding his own quip, "Perhaps bargaining with the gods would not be needed in Dereth's case. I'd think that after a week of his company, they'd send him back to the mortal world just to spare themselves the trouble of putting up with him any further." Jadrich grinned broadly.

"But in true fashion, gentlemen, it is excellent to be in the company of such skilled fighters . . . " Jadrich paused and looked around letting his glance fall upon Reod with a playful wink, "Oh yes, and your company is appreciated, too, Reod."

Jadrich let his humor wash over his fellows for a moment as he looked about the group. Being a skilled judge of character, Jadrich had already pegged most of his new companions to their outward motivations. He was no fool when it came to judging men and realized that true motivations may take awhile to pick up. That would come in time.

Yet, there was one in the group that Jadrich hadn't gotten a good read on: the ranger. Jadrich's experience with rangers was lacking. Very few ever came into his bar because it catered to a higher class of citizen. The few rangers that he had met struck Jadrich as simple folk who didn't relish the excesses that he provided at his tavern. This is why Jadrich found it curious that the Ranger was one of the first to ask the Lady Del Var about reward for their efforts. A point for Jadrich to ponder as he got to know all of his new companions better.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 07-14-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #155
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Listening to the discussions of where an attack will occur, and the constant retorts and jabs at one another, Brayden couldn't help but feel he was on a ground version of a Pirate ship.

"Gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for making me feel right at home."

With a wry laugh, he loosens his rapier in it's scabbard. "Better to have it ready in case trouble does happen" he thought to himself
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 PM   #156
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Just as an FYI, I won't be around this weekend. I'll try to catch up best I can on Sunday evening. I'm heading out of town on Friday.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:25 PM   #157
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im out as well, prob sunday or monday for me too
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #158
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As the line of mounted men plodded along, eyes moving warily over the terrain, Kallash spoke up about their course.

“You’ve got the scroll map, and it sounds as if Nightion there may have been over this territory prior. We’re headed for what’s known as the Broken Gates. It’s the ruin of a large, ceremonial entrance into ancient Britau. The road’s a mess from there on in, but it will give you a course southward into the heart of Wootmerry. Keep in mind that using the road…well, it’s the obvious route, and you won’t be the only ones that realize that.”

Kallash looked briefly behind him at the other riders and smiled sardonically for effect.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #159
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"That's good to hear, Khallash. We can finally switch you and Jupp out for some better company," Jardrich said returning a sardonic grin to Khallash.

"I take it that the Gates is where you will take your leave of us?"
Old 07-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #160
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

“Indeed,” the old man-at-arms replied flatly, nodding twice. “The lady gave me orders to encamp with you on the border if you wish it, but my suggestion would be to continue onward as far as you can whilst the light holds. The hill-men like to rove about the Gates, and I would think it's because it is a prominent spot at which to camp.”
Old 07-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #161
Vince
Pro Starter

"While I don't doubt our ability to handle men of the hills, let's save energy for our more...intimidating foes," spoke Xypheus from the back of the group. "I'd say we should trek a goodly way into Wootmerry before taking our rest for the evening."

As an aside, I'm entering the last two weeks of school ever, so as a heads up I've got 4 papers and 3 finals between now and next Friday. Plus I'm out of town this weekend. So if I'm a little slow on the responses, I apologize.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 07-19-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #162
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"Agreed," Reod replied after Xypheus, "let's keep moving. Kallash, I do hope you and Jupp will be ok returning on your own. Be weary of these hill people."
Old 07-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #163
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Ahhh, good Kallash, are you sure that we couldn't talk you and Jupp further into the journey? My pappy always told me, 'You can never have enough steel.' I believe him to be a wise man. It also is widely known that Lady Del Var does not tolerate mediocrity in her guard. Thus, I can only assume that you and Jupp are quite skilled in weaponry. What say you two? Stay with us for a bit and let your weapons get some exercise."
Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #164
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

With a knowing grin, Kallash eyed the barkeep and began to chuckle with his raspy laugh. “You could talk the skin off a snake, Jadrich, of that I’m sure. But however farther in we travel means that far again back, alone, just me and the lad, Jupp. And though we’ve fought the hill-folk for many a year – well, I have anyway – I’ve no desire to wet my sword with their blood for the mere pleasure of killing. Lady Del Var’s done right by me and mine…no, I’m afraid we’ll be heading back once we’ve reached the Gates as ordered.”

As they came to the top of a small rise, Kallash (in the lead) suddenly stiffened and then swiftly pulled up his crossbow to bear forward. Reod, close by the older man, tensed as well and then followed his intent gaze down the slope. There below them, perhaps 200 paces away, a rider-less horse was staggering around in rough arcs and bleeding profusely from a gash in its hindquarters. It’s saddle was partially off, and there was no sign of any riders or any threats for that matter, other than a pair of vultures who had come to watch the animal go through its death-throes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The surrounding terrain is small rises and rocky hills, scattered trees, and fairly good sight lines and distance.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #165
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Careful . . . " Jadrich said as he raised his crossbow to eye level and began scanning the horizion. "This can be one of two things. A - it can be a diversion, or B - it can be a trap. I go with option A: its a diversion. I don't want to get mucked up in a missing person investigation when we have other duties to attend to. Nightion, take a look through the spyglass and see if you can see any markings on the horse or saddle that might give us a clue as to who the rider was. If there are no obvious clues, I suggest we give it a wide berth and go about our own business. If the rider was out in these areas riding alone, they probably deserved what they got. Any other opinions?"
Old 07-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #166
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"I agree with you, Jadrich", replied Reod, "we need to stay ready now. I have a feeling our friends in the hills are watching."

Reod doubted the riderless horse started alone. Most likely it was part of a caravan less prepared than themselves. Fools.

"What do you see, Nightion?"
Old 07-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #167
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Theres always option C...i could always just charge blindly into the woods, alerting you all to any enemy presence by whether i get attacked or not. But that option would most likely resort in me killing them all and not sharing the fun with you all " Dereth knew as well as the other what this horse meant, but he was fairly comfortable wih the terrain surrounding them as quite suitable for mounted combat(espcially against foot troops). "Good Kallash,about how far away is the horse from us? My view from back here im afraid is quite limited. And if you would, would you describe anything it is carrying or standing near. It might be possible for us to gain something valuable for this journey from this horse for no price. The land in my opinion would give us ample time to see an attack coming and prepare, but if you all feel not i will understand and go back to pestering our mage friend back here" Dereth was almost hoping if a fight was to come with these hill people, it came when the had two more swords at their aid.

Im back frm my trip, and will be back to posting normally now
Demotivation
Old 07-21-2004, 03:39 PM   #168
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Kallash took a quick, squinting glance back at Dereth, wondering if the young fighter was half crazy or just annoyingly brash. Yet the habitual practice of answering promptly when asked a question got the better of him, and he quickly measured the distance in his head and called back to the Rhyllan.

“Around 200 paces…it’s got a saddle and maybe some gear or saddle bags, but it’s hard to tell. I don’t see anything else.”

Jupp, meanwhile, had dismounted and tied the pack mules line off on a dead tree that lay nearby. He had also drawn his enormous sword, and was now standing dutifully as if to guard the rear of the party. He looks bored.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 07-21-2004 at 03:40 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #169
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion brought the spyglass up to his eyes....looking for a few seconds he spoke out..

"Strange indeed, this horse we see has a serious wound, though i do not think it is made from man, it is like a bite mark, maybe from a predator of some type...."

Nightion brings the glass all across the landscape....

"There are no other creatures here, other than the vulchers....The blood tracks in from the southeast.....odd......Where is the rider of this horse...and what beast could bring down this horses master than catch up to the horse itself?"

Nightion lowers the spyglass.

Last edited by JeffNights : 07-21-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 PM   #170
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Thanks, Nightion," Jadrich said uneasily, "I don't like it one bit. My wits would tell me to avoid this situation completely. I don't fancy fighting a creature that could run down a horse and that is predatory by nature. Nonetheless, one that we cannot currently see nor properly assess. My wits also tell me that predatory creatures don't carry gold or gems on them either. Its wasted time over little profit. We should leave the horse to the vultures, after all, vultures have to eat, too. I don't mean to steal a meal from them. We should bear wide of this situation, favoring the direction opposite the blood trail if at all possible. Any objections, or overwhelming urges to investigate further?"

Jadrich lowered his crossbow slightly and continued to scan the horizon as he awaited responses from the group.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #171
MacroGuru
Coordinator

"Well, good thing we are all on edge, cause I was afraid we would waltz into Wootmerry and take what we needed" Brayden stated sardonically.

"But of course, we are the brave ones, Right Reod?"
Old 07-22-2004, 07:09 AM   #172
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod glanced over his inside shoulder, his right shoulder that is, at Brayden. The Azaran seemed amused with himself and his little quip. He couldn't remember an Azaran he liked, and this one was proving to be just like the others.

Reod knew he wouldn't allow anyone near that horse, but he couldn't resist an argument with the Azaran. He turned his horse to the inside so he could better see Brayden.

"Well, thief, I was going to send the weakest member of our group. It was a toss up between you, and well, you. But, if you're so brave and dashing, have at it. I could use some laughter myself."

With that, he spun his horse back towards Kallash. Damned Azarans.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:17 AM   #173
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

After another quick glance split between Reod and the Azaran, Kallash returned his full attention to the wounded horse. “Somethin’ rotten about this…”

He spit forcefully for added effect.

“Somewhere there’s got to be a rider for that horse, and I doubt he’s any better off than his mount. The only fools that ride alone hereabouts are would-be heroes off in search of Wootmerry treasure. Either one of them’s fallen victim to the hill-folk – or some nasty beasty – or this isn’t the only horse out there. I’m with Jadrich in thinking that avoiding this altogether would be wise, but knowing who the rider is – or was – may be worthwhile, too. But it’s up to you all…my orders are to lead you to the Gates, and that’s due south o’ here. We can swing west a bit if you wish to.”
Old 07-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #174
Vince
Pro Starter

"This does indeed seem questionable, to say the least. I think we would be best served avoiding this particular confrontation," replied Xypheus.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #175
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod honestly didn't want the Azaran to take the dare, but was tempted to wait for Brayden's answer.

"Let's just head west a bit and go around this obstacle. No need to add more trouble to our cause. We're not all heroes. Well, at least the Azaran isn't."
Old 07-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #176
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"After a long day of sheep humping, a Rhyllan walks into a bar and notices an Azaran having a drink at the bar. Standing not five feet from the Azaran, the Rhyllan points at the Azaran and yells, 'SHEEP HUMPER!' Not wanting to be outdone by the Rhyllan, the Azaran stands up and points at the Rhyllan and yells, 'GOAT BLOWER!' With obvious tension in the air, the barkeep breaks the silence, saying . . ."

Jadrich paused and took in a long draft of air before yelling, "I THOUGHT WE ALREADY AGREED THAT WE WEREN'T GOING TO DO THIS SHIT!"
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #177
JeffNights
College Prospect

" The rider of that wounded horse is no doubt a man with a soul. We do not know if he is truly dead, he may have survived the attack, My concious calls on me to do at the very least a check of the area......"

Nighiton paused, he fretted for a second. "It is hard on my heart to turn ym back on my fellow man or beast, if the follwing agrees, a small search of the surrounding area wouls suffice"

With that Nightion looked hopefully at the rest.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #178
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Regaining some of his composure, Jadrich turned to Nightion, "You know well then, that if it is a beast that we run into, we most likely will have to kill it, right? Especially if it is feeding on the victim that we are searching for. A hunter doesn't like giving up that which it worked for. What weight do you put on the man's life over the beasts life if we find the two?" Jadrich asked rhetorically.

Jadrich shifted uneasily in his saddle. He knew that the wise thing to do wasn't always the right thing to do. He had seen enough politics to understand this concept deeply. The politicians that frequented Jadrich's tavern seemed incapable of understanding it. Jadrich looked into Nightion's eyes and saw willful compassion a trait that was rarely present at his bar. Jadrich smiled.

"Right, then. Let's take an hour, no more to investigate this site," Jadrich said looking up the road at the horse. He then turned his attention to a tree off to the side of the trail. "When that tree's shadow hits the side of the road, we will leave. Until then, let's stay together, in sight of each other. If you are investigating a perimeter, make sure somebody is with you."

Jadrich spurred his horse on toward the injured horse in the road and he waved his hand at the others indicating them to follow.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 07-22-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #179
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Compassion. Reod had been accused once or twice of not having it. It was an acquired trait, formed after years of battle. No time for compassion in a battlefield. Even if this wasn't a battlefield, compassion had long since left Reod.

"Jadrich, you bastard...", he muttered to himself, "we've no time for this."

It was too late. Jadrich was on his way.

Reod shook his head. Even if this went well, they would lose time. Reod then spurred his own horse.

"If we must...", he called out to Jadrich.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #180
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

With an audible sigh of frustration, Kallash guided his horse back toward Jupp, and instructed the big lad to bring the mules forward slowly. He then turned to Dereth.

“Jupp’s a powerful fellow and can wield that big hunk o’ sword, but he’s slow and clumsy. If it comes to it, he’s a stationary fighter. I’d be distressed if anything happened to him…” The elder man said no more, but wheeled his horse and pressed forward to follow after Jadrich and Reod.

As the riders closed the distance ahead, the vultures took notice and shifted nervously, but the wounded horse was oblivious, lost in its agony. The hideous gash in its hindquarters was going to kill it soon enough, but the animal seemed frantic in its effort to keep moving. Lathered with sweat, its eyes bulging, it was the picture of distress.

Inside 100 paces, Kallash paused to crank his crossbow, the bow strings creaking a bit as they tightened. He then edged his own mount forward a bit further, although the mare was clearly edgy. Satisfied with the range, he fired the bolt – a lethal shot into the head of the wounded animal. It collapsed soundlessly into a bloody heap.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If/when we get into action-oriented settings, please be specific about what movements you wish to make, skills or feats to use, positioning, etc. I don't want to be tied down to a system, but it will help me coordinate the action.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 AM   #181
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"At least the vultures will be happy when we're gone," Reod said to himself. Kallash's stories about his weapon proficiency were indeed true. He looked to Kallash and Jadrich.

"Kallash, you mind covering us?"

Reod looked at the horse and the gash it received from a distance. He looked to the southeast where the tracks led.

"Jadrich, you want the horse or the tracks? If you take the tracks, don't travel far off."

WSU, I assume my gather info would be of no use here. It's my guess it's gathering info from others, correct?

Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 AM   #182
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich pulled his horse up about 20 paces short of the dead horse. He dismounted and began walking over to the horse.

"Reod, you and Nightion check out the tracks. Brayden, Dereth and I will inspect the horse and the near surroundings. Kallash, Jupp and Xypheus, take the horses and mules to a point between the dead horse and where Reod and Nightion are looking. If there are hill people around, I don't want them hitting our rear and sending our horses off. Kallash will watch our forward," Jadrich said spreading his arms out about 120 degrees, "Xypheus: our left rear flank," he turned to the left rear and made the same gesture, "Jupp: our right rear flank," he turned and completed the circle with the same gesture. "Let's be quick about this, I don't want to hang ourselves out here too long."

I will be using my spot skill, if it does anything for me.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #183
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod nodded in agreement and dismounted near the dead horse. He reached with his right hand and pulled out his longsword, which for some time he had called the "Hellantic", but had no real reason why.

"Nightion, you're more experienced with tracks than me. Lead the way."
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 AM   #184
Raven Hawk
College Starter

From my understanding of the situation, this is how we should look if North is to the left and South is to the right.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #185
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Very good, RH.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #186
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Sales are way up!

And Ardent, you are correct about Gathering Info.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 07-23-2004 at 10:53 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #187
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Lol. Jadrich's stock has plummeted. I should have bought stock in Reod or Nightion.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #188
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Lol. Jadrich's stock has plummeted. I should have bought stock in Reod or Nightion.
Yeah, your stock has been rated below "Dead Horse" (Dump it!).
Old 07-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #189
Vince
Pro Starter

Sounds good to me guys...finishing up a paper, then flying out to AZ, so I'm out for the weekend. Good luck
Old 07-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #190
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

Heh...one of the first times I've actually laughed out loud at my computer in a while
Old 07-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #191
Blade6119
Coordinator

Vince, you coming to see me? Where you flying to, as im here in Phoenix.
Demotivation
Old 07-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #192
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Kallash, have no worries. I will make quite certain to keep an eye on Jupp in the upcoming battle. Just keep a horse ready for me, for if a battle comes i would like to start it with some mounted combat." Dereth decided it best to check to horse a little during the break in the tension. He opened the packs the horse carried, looking for any information of valuable item/weapons. "All i know is that im sure whatever did this to this horse is still in the area."

Did i find anything of use WSU?
Demotivation
Old 07-23-2004, 06:36 PM   #193
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion Litterally crawled along the ground, searching for any sign of a mans foottracks, he wanted to know what had happened here, and where this unlucky soul was, and what he was doing here.

He was glad Jadrich had taken the lead and prodded the others to go along with him... at the very least, if they could have a chance a saving a mans life...even if this expedition came of nothing, a life is worth it, isn't it?

The Ranger cleared his head and refocused his efforts on finding the tracks.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:14 PM   #194
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

You can't beat that . . .

{insert rimshot here}

Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #195
Blade6119
Coordinator

BUMP
Demotivation
Old 07-26-2004, 01:59 AM   #196
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok, back in town.

Blade - Sorry, didn't see that until just now. Sure enough, I flew into Phoenix Sky Harbor...my Grandfather lives in Chandler (Sun Lakes, to be exact...active retirement community thereabouts). Visited him and the extended family. Next time I'm out that way, I'll have to take you out for a drink or something
Old 07-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #197
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Of kool aid.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #198
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"I think I found something! . . . Naw, it's just a rock."
Old 07-26-2004, 10:40 PM   #199
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"I found blood, that's odd."

Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #200
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As the men approached the dead horse, the vultures took flight, adding annoyed squawks directed at the interlopers who had come between them and their meal. Kallash sneered at the carrion birds – he’d always hated the disgusting creatures – and moved past the dead horse to take up his station as Jadrich had indicated. He cast a furtive glance completely around them, then fixed his gaze upon the direction assigned to him. Jupp had come along without a word, adding the others’ horses to his collection of animals.

As Dereth pawed through the few belongings left with the dead horse, he found little of worth. The saddle was a simple one of worn leather, showing its age. A shoddy bedroll was tied to it, and a wooden bowl was tucked beneath that. All that really caught Dereth’s eye was an item a little bigger than his hand and wrapped in light blue cloth, and hard to the touch as he tapped it with a knuckle through the linen. Jadrich noted that it looked like the coverings often used by glass merchants in Scalla.

Ahead aways, Nightion was having little trouble following the horse’s spattered blood, but could find no indication of the missing rider. Reod kept up a constant scanning of the surrounding terrain, his sword swaying slightly from side to side as if to track along with his eyes. As they advanced, however, both men noted that the bloody path emerged from the top of a small, crested segment of ground perhaps 30 paces ahead. What lay beyond was blocked to their view, and to maneuver into a spot to get a better look would separate them substantially from the others.