Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #151
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Vote Pass
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #152
Passacaglia
Coordinator

On the other hand, no-lynch runaways give the wolves a chance to hide their votes by voting no lynch just like everyone else, or to vote for a fellow wolf without worrying about them actually getting killed (hi st.cronin!). Maybe we should just link to all the other games where we've discussed this stuff on Day 1!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #153
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
On the other hand, no-lynch runaways give the wolves a chance to hide their votes by voting no lynch just like everyone else, or to vote for a fellow wolf without worrying about them actually getting killed (hi st.cronin!). Maybe we should just link to all the other games where we've discussed this stuff on Day 1!

Hi.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #154
path12
Coordinator

Wasn't around yesterday, checking in but will be busy this morning, I'll read the rules and check in again a bit later.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #155
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

vote nfg
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #156
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

All of these people willing to spray around votes, when in my estimation a lot of us know nothing has me wary. To say the very least.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #157
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
All of these people willing to spray around votes, when in my estimation a lot of us know nothing has me wary. To say the very least.

Do you think we're all wolves? Far too many of us for that. Also, it's rare that we ever *know* anything, so you vote with what you got. I've usually been a proponent of the no lynch vote, because I'm a pansy that doesn't like the idea of someone getting voted out so early that they barely got to play, but a) you don't see the wolves ever acting like that, and b) we gotta break some eggs at some point, and a lot of the stuff we learn comes from vote patterns, so we might as well start making them interesting sooner.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #158
Passacaglia
Coordinator

On the other hand, the no lynch vote *always* carries through on Day 1, to the point where if it's an option, a vote for a person on Day 1 is meaningless -- even if everyone voting for a person were to consolidate and vote for the same person, he'd probably still get saved, and we wouldn't be able to accuse anyone of trying too hard to save him, since no lynch is the safe play.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #159
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yes, you're all wolves.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #160
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hi Thomkal!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #161
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I agree on breaking eggs. For me, it's pretty basic

I think that the risk of voting out an important role (on virtually nothing, since we're not even dealing with some sort of slip-of-the-tongue or strange post) outweighs the reward (potentially getting lucky and/or setting up voting patterns).

While i'd agree we need to break the eggs at some point, I don't know if I've really ever seen an endgame where it comes back that a Day One vote was all that damning. Day 2-3-4 maybe, or a sequence of someone's votes, sure, but I think in a vote-someone-off-day-one situation it's the village who is sticking their necks out. (do Cyclons have necks even? I need to visit a wiki)
Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #162
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Bah, UI knew my vote wouldnt count :P

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #163
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

vote heinez!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #164
path12
Coordinator

I think the recent no lynch day 1 trend is turning into a way too easy way for wolves to hide out. While it made sense in some of the recent rulesets, I don't see where it does in this particular one at all -- why give the wolves basically a free kill? I'm voting a lynch.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #165
path12
Coordinator

VOTE JEHEINZ72
Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #166
path12
Coordinator

I hate having the separate vote post. Anyway, Heinz gets my vote because he looks like the first legal no lynch today.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #167
path12
Coordinator

Crap, didn't see clapham's vote. I don't want to double up this soon.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #168
path12
Coordinator

UNVOTE JEHEINZ72
VOTE SONIC YOUTH
Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #169
path12
Coordinator

Welcome!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #170
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

Doesn't spreading the vote out just help the no-lynchers?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #171
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yeah, in essence it's voting just to vote, which is the precise thing I don't agree with.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #172
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm willing to consolidate it later after seeing who shows up and who doesn't and that sort of thing. But I have no problem with spreading out some candidate choices early.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #173
The Jackal
Coordinator

Not sure if this has been covered, and I imagine Render has a mechanism in the game to prevent this from happening too early - but if one of the factions finds earth, does the game end immediately?
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #174
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Not sure if this has been covered, and I imagine Render has a mechanism in the game to prevent this from happening too early - but if one of the factions finds earth, does the game end immediately?

I believe so -- I sent him a PM asking about it, and his "and/or" in the rules seems to really be "or" -- if we either nab all the Cyclons, or find earth, the game ends. Since there's 12 clues needed to find Earth, I'm guessing that you're right in that it won't happen soon.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #175
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Point taken, but a runaway no lynch most games keeps us up +1 on the scoreboard. I realize these are old arguments, but they perhaps deserve being re-stated.
ve supported no lynching in a couple of recent games where there was info to be had. I don't think we have that same assurance of information here, instead we've got some nebulous promises that might or might not realize. However, let's recognize that a runawawy no lynch doesn't keep us up +1. It keeps us down -1, instead of, perhaps -2. I like keeping villagers alive, but I like winning more. I don't think no lynch does it for us in this game.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #176
path12
Coordinator

Couple of questions:

Do we have a starting location? There wasn't one specified in my role PM.

What are thoughts about character names? Worthwhile to hold onto for now or no? (I'm not familiar with the show and I know RendeR said that they don't determine faction, but wondering what others think).

Also trying to get an idea on whether it is better to move around a lot to try and discover items/relics or if staying at the same location multiple days gives a better chance to find whatever might be around there.

Along those same lines, I wonder if we should be publicizing where we're planning to move to at night, or if the Cylons need that information in order to kill.......
Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #177
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hi Thomkal!

Hi Pass! Don't drop out this time.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #178
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I don't know about if revealing names is a good idea or not. I've never watched the show, but from what I can gather, while I am a human here, my character on the show was at the least very manipulative (I'd guess bad if I had to pick good or bad)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #179
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Hi Pass! Don't drop out this time.

You read my mind.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #180
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm willing to consolidate it later after seeing who shows up and who doesn't and that sort of thing. But I have no problem with spreading out some candidate choices early.

What's the point when there's 5 votes for no lynch? If you really want a credible alternative then voting for a newbie who is unlikely to pick up many more votes isn't going to achieve anything. I'm against a no lynch. We probably lose a night kill and have absolutely no idea what we're winning, if anything. Can't see what we gain from that. I'm even more against a runaway no lynch vote.

I don't have Path's luxury of waiting around to "consolidate" a vote. I think we should try and create a viable alternative to the no lynch vote. I'm going to vote for Claphamsa because, to be honest, I think he is likely to be a better wolf than villager. I don't like the frequent, random first day and lack of explanations either, even if that is his usual style.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #181
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Unvote Jackal
Vote Claphamsa
Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #182
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
Can't see what we gain from that.

IMO, what we gain is not shooting ourselves in the foot. Whether it be blatantly (ie. lynching a Seer before he gets a scan in) or less initially painful (lynching just a plain ol' Human) we're the ones with risk here.

I mean let's face facts here. We're ~4.5 hours from go time. What do you really think our chances are of hitting on a wolf as a main candidate? Much less getting our ducks in enough of a row to actually then LYNCH that person.

My money is on those odds being pretty damn low.

So then all we're really doing is offering up one of our own, with the hope that some random off-cast vote happened to be on a wolf that we nab later in the game to see who might've voted for said wolf.

That's the ultimate in high-risk/low-reward for us.

If we had *anything* to go off of, I'd vote for someone, but let's be honest with ourselves here, voting someone off at this point is as good as letting random.org do it for us.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #183
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What's the point when there's 5 votes for no lynch? If you really want a credible alternative then voting for a newbie who is unlikely to pick up many more votes isn't going to achieve anything. I'm against a no lynch. We probably lose a night kill and have absolutely no idea what we're winning, if anything. Can't see what we gain from that. I'm even more against a runaway no lynch vote.

I don't have Path's luxury of waiting around to "consolidate" a vote. I think we should try and create a viable alternative to the no lynch vote. I'm going to vote for Claphamsa because, to be honest, I think he is likely to be a better wolf than villager. I don't like the frequent, random first day and lack of explanations either, even if that is his usual style.

i get not liking my style, but i have proven to be a horrible wolf!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #184
Sonic Youth
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Welcome!
Gee, thanks

You have my attention now

Starting location was in the rules.
Sonic Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #185
Sonic Youth
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Technically Clapham hasn't voted for anyone yet as Heinez isn't in the game.
Sonic Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #186
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
I don't know about if revealing names is a good idea or not. I've never watched the show, but from what I can gather, while I am a human here, my character on the show was at the least very manipulative (I'd guess bad if I had to pick good or bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules

Characters: Character names are directly from the show. They do NOT corelate directly with ANY abilities or ANY roles. Character names, roles, factions and anything else will be assigned in a totally random fashion.

So is there any point in revealing names?

The only way I see names coming into place is if some seer or spy gets PMs identifying a character name instead of a forum name.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #187
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

As has already mentioned in the thread the arguments for and against day one lynching has been covered and argued about in detail. But if the argument holds up on day one why is it suddenly acceptable to have a lynch vote on day two. This is what I didn't understand in the Heroes game (even though it turned out well for us). We got lucky/Alan there on the day two vote. Unless there clear evidence that we're going to be getting a lot of information during the night phase (as far as I can see there isn't) we're just leaving ourselves in the position where we are making a random vote on day two instead of day one.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #188
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
As has already mentioned in the thread the arguments for and against day one lynching has been covered and argued about in detail. But if the argument holds up on day one why is it suddenly acceptable to have a lynch vote on day two. This is what I didn't understand in the Heroes game (even though it turned out well for us). We got lucky/Alan there on the day two vote. Unless there clear evidence that we're going to be getting a lot of information during the night phase (as far as I can see there isn't) we're just leaving ourselves in the position where we are making a random vote on day two instead of day one.

Well at least the Seer gets *a* scan in, ya know?

I mean yeah, we of course can't just no lynch until eternity, but by Day Two we've got double the discussion, hopefully some scan results (even if just Human scans) and maybe some Earth clues.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #189
RendeR
Coordinator

We can dispence with the seperate vote post rule if its a big problem, but please post in bold and in some shade (barkeep) of Blue so i can pick it out easily.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #190
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth View Post
Technically Clapham hasn't voted for anyone yet as Heinez isn't in the game.

if he makes me spell names righ I may as well jsut quit now

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #191
The Jackal
Coordinator

I don't really see the point of name revealing in this game. We could all do it and it wouldn't mean anything. Render said in the rules that roles won't match up at all, so it's not really a positive or a negative as far as I can tell. I haven't researched my character, so I have no idea whether they are good or bad on the show. But while some of the roles sort of matched up in Heinz' game, name revealing seems a waste of time here. But if there starts to be a correlation between dead people's names/roles on the show and we want to reveal near the end to possibly nail someone, that's fine.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #192
The Jackal
Coordinator

Also we have no idea how cylon killing works. They might be able to pick anyone, they might not be able to kill people at certain locations, who knows. The optimal thing to do would probably be to coordinate where we travel at night so that we don't have everyone going to the same place. In that way we'd hopefully learn as much as possible about each location and what it has to offer, and likely have a better chance to pick up more clues. However, coordinating that would probably give a big advantage to the cylons, so it might be best to use our own discretion and keep info to ourselves until it seems prudent to start spilling it, since the cylons are also looking for earth.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #193
The Jackal
Coordinator

Btw, having played Master of Orion 2 extensively, I keep wanting to spell cylon as psilon, and will likely do this at some point, so you're warned in advance.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #194
st.cronin
General Manager

Could somebody provide a rundown of the locations, and what they mean in the show? I realize it probably won't be helpful, but I'm curious.

knives out
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #195
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
The optimal thing to do would probably be to coordinate where we travel at night so that we don't have everyone going to the same place.

My instincts tell me this is not is a good idea.

knives out
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #196
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
RULES

This game is going to be what I call a "Dark Matter" game basically this means that you players have the BARE minimum informatoin to start with and must learn as you go. So there will be very little info here beyond the bare essentials. What each player MUST know they will receive VIA PM. Questions can be posted in thread OR PM'ed to me.

Votes must be in BOLD and must be in a post by themselves.

Discuss your reasonings and jokes etc in seperate posts please.

We will be using the 24 hr clock : Deadline will be 9:00pm EST at 9:01 nothing counts.

Write ups will follow as soon as my schedule allows so don't expect them imediately. I'll do my best not to keep people waiting

Characters: Character names are directly from the show. They do NOT corelate directly with ANY abilities or ANY roles. Character names, roles, factions and anything else will be assigned in a totally random fashion.

Roles: Generally speaking, any role you've seen before and possibly a few new twists will be available. Anyone and perhaps EVERYONE will have some role or ability, perhaps not. No guarentees either way.

Locations: There are various locations that a player may move to each night, only 1 move per 24 hour period is allowed. Each location has its own perks and abilities which will be disseminated on a need-to-know basis. Which means I know and IF you need to know I will tell you. Locations you may move to on each night action:

Battlestar Galactica
Battlestar Pegasus
Colonial One
Cloud 9 hydroponics ship
Caprica
Kobol
Viper 1
Viper 2
Raptor

Items: There are a number of items in the game. Some are 1 time use only items, some can be replenished by finding supplies for them, others work forever. Again, what you need to know you will be told.

Clues: Clues to finding earth. They might be items, they might be snippestof communication signals, they could be rusty relics sitting in a museum. Anything could be a clue, find all 12 and you could find Earth.

Victory Conditions:

Cylons must eliminate ALL humans. And/Or Find Earth

Humans must eliminate ALL Cylons And/or find Earth

Changes/Updates will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth View Post
Starting location was in the rules.

It is? I must be blind.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #197
st.cronin
General Manager

Was wondering the same thing, path.

knives out
Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #198
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't get this. I agree with you that a no lynch vote isn't good. What's it matter who I put an initial vote on if I'm willing to consolidate it later? Actually, if there's somebody who hasn't checked in today I'll likely switch my vote there as is my custom.

Besides, I was never a big fan of feedback.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #199
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I would've sworn I saw it in the rules too, maybe edited out?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #200
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Well, i'm outta here folks, back in the mornin'.