Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #19701
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Mello Yello still a thing? Loved that stuff growing up but seems to have been displaced by Mountain Dew.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #19702
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is Mello Yello still a thing? Loved that stuff growing up but seems to have been displaced by Mountain Dew.

I always called it "Mountain Dew with Floaties!"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:40 AM   #19703
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Still around. I pick up a stray 2-liter of it during grocery shopping now & again, typically in the event that both Diet Dew (my preferred) and regular Dew is out of stock (and I'm somewhere that doesn't have a decent generic)
Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #19704
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Displaced by Mountain Dew? Mountain Dew was always king. Mello Yello was Coke's attempt to capture some of that, was it not?
Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #19705
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Still around. I pick up a stray 2-liter of it during grocery shopping now & again, typically in the event that both Diet Dew (my preferred) and regular Dew is out of stock (and I'm somewhere that doesn't have a decent generic)

Don't know the last time I drank a Mountain Dew but I remember it fondly from my younger days. They had great commercials.

VINTAGE 80'S MOUNTAIN DEW COMMERCIAL "GIMME SOME FUN IN THE BLAZIN SUN!" - YouTube

Mountain Dew 1984 TV commercial - YouTube
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #19706
HerRealName
College Prospect

I found this article to be fascinating on several levels. The last person receiving a pension from the Civil War passed away due to COVID. She was the daughter of a man that fought for both sides - he defected from the secessionists and later fought for the Union. He was 83 and getting the job done!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Carolina.html
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #19707
lungs
Pro Rookie

Any Sun Drop drinkers here?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #19708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Data before about 2000 is hard to find apparently (much less 1980, which would be the first year after Mello Yello was introduced in '79) but with some Googling I thought a look at U.S. market share by volume in 2000 vs 2018 might be interesting.

Coke Classic 20.4%
Pepsi 13.6 %
Diet Coke 8.7%
Mtn Dew 7.2%
Sprite 6.6%
Dr. Pepper 6.3%
Diet Pepsi 5.3%
7 Up 2.0%
Caf Free Diet Coke 1.7%
Barq's Root Beer 1.1%

Coke 17.8%
Pepsi 8.0%
Diet Coke 7.6%
Dr. Pepper 7.2%
Sprite 7.1%
Mtn Dew 6.4%
Diet Pepsi 3.5%
Fanta 2.7%
Coke Zero 2.2%
Diet Mtn Dew 1.9%

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-03-2020 at 01:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #19709
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Pepsi has taken a serious beating

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #19710
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like all soda is on the down swing.

Must be the sports drinks and coffees taking their place.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #19711
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, seems like all the big boys only lost market share in that time.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #19712
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

all hail dr pepper
Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #19713
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Looks like all soda is on the down swing.

Must be the sports drinks and coffees taking their place.

That wouldn't affect these numbers however, this is CSD, or carbonated soft drink, market share by brand. Ranked only against themselves here basically.

72.9 vs 64.4 for the top ten, really it only illustrates how the explosion of varieties - and the introduction of energy drinks with claim around 10% of the category now - watered down the share of the top, similar to the decline in ratings for cable channels when there were 50 of them instead of 250 of them.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #19714
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yeah, seems like all the big boys only lost market share in that time.

Until you consider how many brands they own that are part of the under 1% outside the top ten. This list would differentiate Caf Free Diet Coke from Caf Free Coke Zero for example and make those two different entries.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #19715
molson
General Manager

This could free up some resources to tackle society's problems:

Last Person to Receive a Civil War-Era Pension Dies

It's always fascinating to me how close to the past we really are. There are living children of Civil War veterans and slaves. John Tyler has 2 living grandchildren.

Sure, most of these oddities were caused by dirty old men marrying women decades younger than them, but, still interesting.

Last edited by molson : 06-04-2020 at 10:54 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #19716
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

It's always fascinating to me how close to the past we really are. There are living children of Civil War veterans and slaves. John Tyler has 2 living grandchildren.

Sure, most of these oddities were caused by dirty old men marrying women decades younger than them, but, still interesting.

That’s kind of disgusting that her dad was 83 and her mom was 34(and mentally disabled) when she was born.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #19717
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #19718
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

What can one even say to this?

Old 06-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #19719
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

My parents were 47 and 41 when I was born, and my wife and I were 44 and 42 when our youngest came along. She's now 7, and if she lives to be 80, we'd have the grandchild of a WW2 veteran still living more than 150 years after the war started.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-04-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #19720
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sounds like HR folks had quite the week.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #19721
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a fantastic idea (assuming it really is legal). Great way to buy an RV for retirement and have it be tax deductible.

How to create extra room to work from home? An Airstream RV office
Quote:
As many of us have tried to get creative to find new ways to make working at home palatable for us during a pandemic, you've got to love Jeremiah Owyang's solution.

The independent tech analyst needed space to call his own, and found a great alternative to sky-high Silicon Valley rentals.

He bought a small 22-foot Airstream RV on a 30-year loan, parked it in his back yard, and souped it up for video calls. The analyst surveyed the local real estate market, and found that rentals were charging at least $2,000 monthly. Instead, he got a 30-year-loan at $370 monthly for a $50,000 Airstream "Sport" trailer.

"I own it. I can claim it as a business deduction and re-sell it at some point in the future," says Owyang.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-06-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #19722
AlexB
Pro Starter

Participating in my first lockdown beer festival. 12 beers, many of which are 6% plus (and some in some cases), the YouTube feed runs 6-10pm

Think I’ll go every other beer!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #19723
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Politicians Across The Nation Want To DEFUND The POLICE! - YouTube

Just putting this here as it doesn't seem like many would agree enough with his opinion for a thread.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #19724
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
Politicians Across The Nation Want To DEFUND The POLICE! - YouTube

Just putting this here as it doesn't seem like many would agree enough with his opinion for a thread.

"We've seen the brownshirts...that's antifa" Good lord.

I will say that the idea of disbanding the Police and replacing them with some kind of organic, holistic re-imagination of policing is a challenge a lot like the idea of replacing the NFL refs....there's not a whole other pool of qualified candidates with revolutionary values to pull from, the pool is the same & full of people aligned with the organization you just got rid of. Certainly not a reason to give up before even trying, but a challenge to be sure.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #19725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You know what's kinda underrated?

English muffins.

Once buttered, they take pretty much any traditional breakfast topping -- jelly, apple butter, whatever -- exceptionally well. The nooks & crannies even provide a little extra pocket of goodness on a bite or too. You can cheese 'em up. You can faux McMuffin 'em with sausage or canadian bacon, with egg or without.

Inexpensive aside from a few over-the-top brands, durable (usually perfectly good for at least two weeks past their best by, if not more than that), tasty.

They just don't get as much mainstream love as it seems they deserve.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #19726
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

English muffins.

Once buttered, they take pretty much any traditional breakfast topping -- jelly, apple butter, whatever -- exceptionally well. The nooks & crannies even provide a little extra pocket of goodness on a bite or too. You can cheese 'em up. You can faux McMuffin 'em with sausage or canadian bacon, with egg or without.

Inexpensive aside from a few over-the-top brands, durable (usually perfectly good for at least two weeks past their best by, if not more than that), tasty.

Severely underrated!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #19727
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

English muffins.

I definitely keep some in my pantry at all times.

As a kid we used to put sauce and cheese on them to make faux pizzas.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #19728
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
"We've seen the brownshirts...that's antifa" Good lord.

I will say that the idea of disbanding the Police and replacing them with some kind of organic, holistic re-imagination of policing is a challenge a lot like the idea of replacing the NFL refs....there's not a whole other pool of qualified candidates with revolutionary values to pull from, the pool is the same & full of people aligned with the organization you just got rid of. Certainly not a reason to give up before even trying, but a challenge to be sure.

The other problem is replacing it with separate authorities and hierarchies just leads to more bloat. You need to make people accountable. Not just the sheriff, but make the mayor accountable as well. It is their job to know.

Disbanding the police force is similar to the movement to get rid of the Boy Scouts. There are bad apples in both groups, and there is a very good baseline there. It is far better to reform and preserve what is good than start from scratch.

Also, if they do start disbanding police agencies, the first thing I am going to do is get a gun and a rifle, and take a self defense class.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #19729
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think English Muffins are extremely toaster specific. My toaster probably has a 10 second window where they are perfect.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #19730
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

English muffins.

I love english muffins with just butter. SOOOOO good.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #19731
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We use english muffins in place of hamburger buns
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #19732
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We use english muffins in place of hamburger buns

this is so wrong i need to try this
Old 06-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #19733
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 06-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #19734
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bagel pizzas(and assuming English muffin) turn out straight fire if you do them in the air fryer. I usually toast the bagel a bit first. Make sure to preheat the air fryer too.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #19735
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

English muffin pizza has been a semi-regular dinner menu item for us for years. All the pizza goodness with less fat (skim cheese, turkey pepperoni, etc.).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #19736
Ksyrup

Sitting in the house for 3 months straight, I've seen way too many commercials too many times.

The life insurance commercial featuring Alex Trebek is one I always question - the dude is host of Jeopardy, but they use a Wheel of Fortune hook for the commercial? Huh? You know, the P_ _ _ _ P_ _ _ _ P_ _ _ _ thing? I just found that odd.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-10-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #19737
Butter
Coordinator

The thing I hate about that is that two of the PRICES are the same.

Price you can afford
Price can never increase
Price that fits your budget

That last one is the same as the first one. We were really reaching there.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #19738
Ksyrup

Good point. So I guess the pitch was... let's spoof Location Location Location with a Wheel of Fortune nod narrated by the Jeopardy host. And they had to shoehorn 3 points in there, or it would have all fallen apart.

Reminds of of TV shows you can tell were built around a title someone thought was really clever and couldn't let it go.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #19739
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just subscribed to our local paper to get the print edition. I really like the idea of drinking my coffee and reading the paper every morning.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #19740
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I just subscribed to our local paper to get the print edition. I really like the idea of drinking my coffee and reading the paper every morning.

you and millions of other sitcom dads
Old 06-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #19741
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
you and millions of other sitcom dads

If you heard me yelling at my kids in the morning you wouldn't think I am sitcom material.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #19742
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
If you heard me yelling at my kids in the morning you wouldn't think I am sitcom material.

Are you kidding? Yelling at kids is grade A sitcom material. It's classic sitcom dad stuff! Go on say something funny about the music they listen to or that they are making too much noise while being adorable!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #19743
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Are you kidding? Yelling at kids is grade A sitcom material. It's classic sitcom dad stuff! Go on say something funny about the music they listen to or that they are making too much noise while being adorable!

I'm guessing you don't have kids
Old 06-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #19744
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I did this a few years back. The paper showed up maybe 80% of the time. One time the Sunday paper didn't make it until Thursday. They had an online system to report missing papers but I'm not sure what effect it had. I tried to cancel eventually, but they wouldn't let me do it over the phone. I had to physically go in.

Hope you have better luck.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #19745
bob
College Starter

I saw this in an article online:

“Iowa's high school games could mark the first competitive, sanctioned team sports in the U.S. since the coronavirus pandemic brought an abrupt end to athletic action three months ago.

Iowa is the only state that plays its high school baseball and softball in the summer, with the season going well after graduation and deep into July.”

Does that mean graduating seniors play after graduation or 8th graders (potentially) could play before they start 9th grade? Just curious.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #19746
Ksyrup

I believe it's the 2020 season, so graduating seniors play past graduation. Not uncommon, although what appears to be unique is that they start so late. A number of states play beyond graduation, depending on playoffs and how many snow days get tacked on in any given year. In Kentucky, we've had seniors have to choose between graduation and playing in a championship game on the same day.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #19747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This lockdown has been a test to see how many pairs of New Balance I can buy at severe discounts. And none of them are the blue and white dad lawn mowing shoes. The online NB Outlet is relentless with markdowns.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #19748
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This lockdown has been a test to see how many pairs of New Balance I can buy at severe discounts. And none of them are the blue and white dad lawn mowing shoes. The online NB Outlet is relentless with markdowns.

Same. Everyone has gotten them recently. Really hard to beat a $30 pair of really good shoes, and free shipping.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #19749
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I snagged some Brooks close outs for like $52 down from $150 the other day. Deals like that all over. $150 shoes feel like $150 shoes. Dunno why people buy stuff at kohl’s or famous footwear when legit stuff is cheaper
Old 06-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #19750
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I saw this in an article online:

“Iowa's high school games could mark the first competitive, sanctioned team sports in the U.S. since the coronavirus pandemic brought an abrupt end to athletic action three months ago.

Iowa is the only state that plays its high school baseball and softball in the summer, with the season going well after graduation and deep into July.”

Does that mean graduating seniors play after graduation or 8th graders (potentially) could play before they start 9th grade? Just curious.

The phrase I found -- cause this was certainly unusual enough to spark my curiosity to Google -- was "Summer baseball is an extension of 2nd semester for eligibility purposes"