Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Football Manager Handheld 2012 (iPhone/iTouch/iPad) - Out Tonight

Hi,

The iOS version of FMH is released tonight in case anyones waiting ... loads of new features in it including (but not a full list):

* More players than ever before (10% extra)
* Welsh League Added
* New Challenge game mode (start in a pre-canned situation and see if you can retain your job)
* AppleTV support
* Star Players visible for non-human clubs (shows the 3 most 'key' players in each team to make it easier to evaluate a side)
* Facebook integration
* Optional Retina skin (disabled by default on original iPhone4 devices as its slightly more sluggish than SD - so enable it if you want it on those)
* .... lots lots more ....

As with last years game its one app suits all - ie. buy once install onto your iPad, iPhone, iTouch as required.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Damn you - I just saw the news on facebook and was about to come over here and blast you for not posting it here yet, but you beat me!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Do you guys play on an Android verison at some point?

pretty please?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Oh forgot - the game now goes down to Conference North/South in the English league system tbh.

With regards to Android - at present FMH is iOS/PSP only. I like the Android systems and one day hope to support them as well ... but that day isn't today, sorry.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Oh forgot - the game now goes down to Conference North/South in the English league system tbh.

With regards to Android - at present FMH is iOS/PSP only. I like the Android systems and one day hope to support them as well ... but that day isn't today, sorry.

Well damn you!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Grrr! to the no Android version (especially now that I have a Kindle Fire for a tablet)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Excellent! Can't wait to play. Loved last year's version.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Excellent! Can't wait to play. Loved last year's version.

Let me know what you think when you get it
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Purchased it, will start playing it tomorrow night. (I need some sleep)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
* Star Players visible for non-human clubs (shows the 3 most 'key' players in each team to make it easier to evaluate a side)

Excellent. I never know which Orcs and Chaos Dwarves to target.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As I said on Facebook, I'm now strongly considering getting an iPod Touch for this trip to London (I leave Saturday).

I have my iPhone, but I'll need to use my phone after getting off the plane (not as necessary when I get to London, but I plan on sleeping on the plane anyway on the way there, but on the trip home, I'll definitely need to use my phone when I land)...

Between this and ChronoTrigger, I'm screwed...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What am I missing? I searched for Football Manager and I couldn't find it.

Edit: Nevermind. It didn't show up initially, but if I clicked "See All," it did.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 12-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
rlmayer32
n00b

Less than a week after I retired my 35 season 2011 career. Perfect!
rlmayer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Also got it this morning, actually one of the rare app that is a must get the day it comes out for me.

For those who know me, I will not be starting with my usual Luton Town side but with QPR in the EPL in this version of the game. First time starting with anothre side that Luton and first time starting a career in the EPL.

FM
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

Really enjoying the pace of the game. One annoyance and one question:

I really like the it in the PC version when you offer a player how it fires you a quick mail saying nobody is interested. I offered a player out and had no feedback for two weeks and then somebody swooped in and made an offer. Not a huge deal, I just really like that feature on the PC game.

Can you do anything with the guys in the reserve teams? Again, not a huge issue, but I had a few in there that were better than my regular team and would love to be able to activate them in some way.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I really like the it in the PC version when you offer a player how it fires you a quick mail saying nobody is interested. I offered a player out and had no feedback for two weeks and then somebody swooped in and made an offer. Not a huge deal, I just really like that feature on the PC game.
Noted - will look at adding that in an update.

Quote:
Can you do anything with the guys in the reserve teams? Again, not a huge issue, but I had a few in there that were better than my regular team and would love to be able to activate them in some way.
The reserve team at present is mainly a 'storage area' for surplus players at most clubs (obviously Spanish teams have active reserves).

You can ask the assistant to automatically try to loan out players placed there which is a handy thing if you're into that sort of thing ..
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hey Marc - question/suggestion/whatever you want to call it.

How come when I'm in pre-match and I tap "action", once I tap an action, say "clear team" I'm then bumped back out to the team screen where I have to tap action and "pick squad" again if I want the game to pick it for me?

I would imagine (although I clearly don't have any stats to back this up), that many folks use both - or at least that the number who use both outnumbers the # of folks who just use "clear squad" (as most of the folks picking their own squads will likely just swap in and out a few players rather than clearing the whole thing).

Loving the game BTW.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

How deep is this compared to the PC version?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How deep is this compared to the PC version?

It's definitely not as-deep, much more of a quick-pickup and play type style, as you'd expect. Let me summarize:

1) The number of attributes is trimmed-down
2) No media/player interaction
3) No team talks/HT talks/sideline shoults/tactical adjustments
4) Less detailed coach reports

That being said - there are definitely things that are still there - preferred roles for players, defining player tactical roles (complete forward, poacher, target man, etc.), limited team tactical instructions (mentality, passing style, tackling style, pressing, offside trap, counter attack, men behind ball), training schedules, budget adjustment, league & player statistics, 2d match view (or text-only), simplified scouting, board confidence.

All in all, I really really like it (says the guy who has not paid for any other ipad games at all). It definitely feels worth the money, and although it's not as-deep as the PC version it's not-as-deep in a good way (if that makes sense). It's really easy to just keep tap-tapping on continue-clear team-suggest team and rip through a bunch of matches in a relatively short period of time.

So it feels "smaller/simpler" but IMO in the right way. The world does not feel as massive...I don't get news about players in the Russian league that then causes me to go off reading news about it or whatever, but I don't WANT that in an iPad game that should be a quicker-play, so it works well.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Just to refine DT's comments a little (although what he said is largely very accurate and correct there are a couple of points which might be misunderstood by people):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
1) The number of attributes is trimmed-down
The game actually shares its database with the PC game, for display purposes some attributes are 'combined' together for screen space purposes - ie. the match engine uses acceleration and pace seperately, but they're displayed as a combined value (Pace) because there isn't space to show both on the screen.

Quote:
2) No media/player interaction
There is some media/player interation - but its rarer than in the PC game, for instance there isn't a 'Press Conference' before and after every match; just occassional questions when appropriate.

Its most noticable 'up front' if you play the challenges as the put you in the middle of an on-going situation.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-12-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just to refine DT's comments a little (although what he said is largely very accurate and correct there are a couple of points which might be misunderstood by people):

The game actually shares its database with the PC game, for display purposes some attributes are 'combined' together for screen space purposes - ie. the match engine uses acceleration and pace seperately, but they're displayed as a combined value (Pace) because there isn't space to show both on the screen.

There is some media/player interation - but its rarer than in the PC game, for instance there isn't a 'Press Conference' before and after every match; just occassional questions when appropriate.

Its most noticable 'up front' if you play the challenges as the put you in the middle of an on-going situation.

Really? The attributes are combined-displayed like that? I was hoping that's the case -- that's fucking awesome! Love that!!

And yeah - I shouldn't have said "No media/player interaction" I should have been more specific about press conferences/ability to praise players at will, etc.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

ANDRIOD!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #23
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
ANDRIOD!

Sadly, no. I made that mistake, too, but apparently "non-human" clubs are just AI-controlled. They don't actually field robot players in the game...

...the bastards.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Sadly, no. I made that mistake, too, but apparently "non-human" clubs are just AI-controlled. They don't actually field robot players in the game...

...the bastards.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #25
SegRat
High School Varsity

There is no way to continue my career from 2011?

Last edited by SegRat : 01-12-2012 at 05:34 AM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think FM has ever allowed previous versions to be continued
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
There is no way to continue my career from 2011?

Sorry but no - quite a few of the in game competition formats have changed as have the internals of various parts of the game and new things were added ...

Even if I spent the time required to try and make things compatible I'd never be able to guarantee it for all the possible permutations of leagues, dates etc. which could be out there.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
SegRat
High School Varsity

That sucks. I hate to give up all the progress I have in now.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
That sucks. I hate to give up all the progress I have in now.

Entirely up to you - I know how you feel, perhaps play that game to completion then upgrade?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So I'm new to the iPad. Do people play this and the normal version? What's the appeal?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
So I'm new to the iPad. Do people play this and the normal version? What's the appeal?

I've been known to play them both simultaneously. Literally. I'll have my ipad game up and running and be in a match, and be in-match on the PC version.

Enjoy your new iPad.

The appeal is portability. It's also easier to zip through gametime in the iPad version it seems to me. Less inbox-materials that can like...draw your attention away (in a positive sense).

Good depth though.

I very much enjoy the iPad version.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

FMH is aimed at being a realistic management sim - but its primary appeal is directed at people who are either on the move a lot and don't have space to pack/open a laptop (ie. commuting on the bus for instance) or the time required to dedicate to the PC version of the sim (due to life circumstances such as wife, kids etc.).

The depth of the sim is around the same as you'd have found on our PC games about a decade ago - its fairly indepth (approximately 25,000 real players, loads of available leagues to play in etc.) but paced so you can blast through a season in an evening if you get into playing .... something which simply isn't possible on the PC game today really.

PS - the game is continually supported after release and I try and put out roughly an update per month after release until I start work on the next years version, update 2 for this years iteration is now in submission at apple and work on update 3 has started (you can follow progress of the updates on the FMH area of the sigames.com forum).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-21-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Thanks Marc for the overview.

So given that it has the depth of about a decade ago does it have the approachability of the current versions? I had tried a few demos of CM/FM along the way and it wasn't until 3D was introduced that I was finally able to get into it and understand what was happening and why on the pitch.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #34
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
So given that it has the depth of about a decade ago does it have the approachability of the current versions? I had tried a few demos of CM/FM along the way and it wasn't until 3D was introduced that I was finally able to get into it and understand what was happening and why on the pitch.

Its very approachable in presentation imho - its designed to be as easy to learn from a UI perspective as possible, however it doesn't contain a 3d view of the match at present - so if you're expecting that I'm afraid you might be disappointed.

(if you want a taster then I'd suggest picking up last years version which is discounted now and seeing what you think to that?).
Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Its very approachable in presentation imho - its designed to be as easy to learn from a UI perspective as possible, however it doesn't contain a 3d view of the match at present - so if you're expecting that I'm afraid you might be disappointed.

(if you want a taster then I'd suggest picking up last years version which is discounted now and seeing what you think to that?).

At present?

Interesting...very very interesting.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Well since I got into 10 I've watched a lot more Football, both in the game and on TV, so I think the overhead view might not be a DQ for me anymore. Alright I guess I'm going to take the plunge.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well since I got into 10 I've watched a lot more Football, both in the game and on TV, so I think the overhead view might not be a DQ for me anymore. Alright I guess I'm going to take the plunge.

You won't be sorry!!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #38
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
At present?

Interesting...very very interesting.

Please DONT read too much into that - a 3d match engine in FMH is at least a few years away .... just bear in mind I tend to plan my games around 5 years in advance roughly so I know where things are 'heading' ...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #39
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Why does FM want my location?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #40
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Why does FM want my location?

Theres a feature in the app where it can guide you to real-life stadiums using a devices GPS, if you say 'No' then thats disabled - won't hurt the actual game at all (and if you aren't using this feature then it doesn't actually poll GPS at all to preserve battery life anyway).
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #41
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

Add me to the list of people who would happily pay for an Android version!
portnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #42
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please DONT read too much into that - a 3d match engine in FMH is at least a few years away .... just bear in mind I tend to plan my games around 5 years in advance roughly so I know where things are 'heading' ...

But I LOVE reading too much into your comments.

Interesting...very very interesting!

Hehe