Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

EUIV: The Aztecs (**COMPLETE**)

This is my first attempt at a dynasty is a loooong time and the first non-FOF dynasty. Because I am unsure how my days and weeks go, I am unsure of how this will end up, but I'll give it a go. I chose the Aztecs because it seemed like a great way to get my feet wet with EUIV. I have no experience with Europa Universalis before this version, but I do have quite a few hours logged with Crusader Kings and March of Eagles (which essentially use the same game map...if nothing else). I actually hope this is a quick game where I learn the mechanics and then I get wiped out...so I expect this to be short lived.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

“A great enemy will arrive from out of the water”

ACT I: (1444-1472)– The Secret Mexican Mandate

I wandered through the city streets and to the Temple of my Fathers. When I reach the summit, my clerics burned fires to signal my ancestors and we sacrificed 12 mighty clan leaders from Tlaxcala and had a feast of blood and hearts. My mind went numb as I tired that evening and fell asleep amongst the fumes of the dying fires. I awoke around midnight, but was I truly awake? I was not certain. But my father and grandfathers were amongst me now. They warned that my children would suffer greatly. That I must dedicate my life and the life of my sons to prepare for a great enemy that will arrive from out of the water. If I do not prepare, all of our people would be destroyed. Was it a dream? Was it real? When I awoke the next morning, I wasn’t sure, but armed with this possibility, I set out at once to prepare my people against a great enemy. They wouldn’t understand, so I would lead them without their knowledge and my sons would lead them in this way too. We will save the Aztec people from destruction, whenever and however and by whom, was unknown, but it did not matter now. My fathers had spoken and it was my job to obey.

The Aztec Temple Mayor (Known as the "Temple of my Fathers" in this story.)

Last edited by Dutch : 09-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Moctezuma I is the leader of the Aztec nation.

- He has 6,000 men armed with spears. They are the empire's warriors. He tasks 4 local provinces to provide an additional 1,000 warriors. There are questions, but nobody is allowed to publicly question the ruler of the Aztecs.

- In a tactical move and show of friendship, the Aztecs agree to an alliance with the Mayans. The Aztec-Mayan alliance is formed!

- The eyes of Moctezuma are turned to the Zapotec nation. They are fierce rivals and unfriendly. It has been decided that they must not be allies as the Aztecs cannot inform them of the secret mandate to build a defense against foreign invaders. So they must be incorporated into the Aztec nation. The sooner the better.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

- We, along with the Mayas have declared war on the Zapotec and plan to destroy them!

- An invasion force of 5,000 Aztec warriors--under the guidance of Moctezuma--enter the province of Tarasco (which borders our lands).

- After a 60 day occupation ...and after much praying and dancing...we take the province as our own without hardly a fight from the stunned Zapotec!

Last edited by Dutch : 09-23-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Our 2nd Army, now with 8,000 spearmen, have discovered and routed an invasion force consisting of 6,000 Zapotec’s...they were found along the coast and their destination most certainly was our capital...Technoctitlan...from now on known as Mexico City. We suspect that the defeat of their might army might be a devastating blow to their nation.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Zapotec’s return along the coast with 4,000 more warriors. But our forces are still strong and we find them out and defeat them once again and this time, in order to gain some prestige amongst our Mayan allies, we sacrifice as many as we can to our Aztec gods.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The Maya’s work out a peace agreement with the Zapotec's and claim some of their lands as their own! Traitorous! We will continue the fight on our own then. ...and we will remember how the Maya's abandoned us.

- By the end of the season we have taken all (4) of the remaining Zapotec provinces,but the heathens in Tlaxcala (nearest province to Mexico City) revolt against us so we must destroy them byforce. 8,000 Aztec warriors destroy theuprising and the enemy provides us the pick of over 3,000 warriors for use on our sacrificing alters!

Last edited by Dutch : 09-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

- We conquer the last of the Zapotec and offer them full annexation. They accept. The Zapotec’s now only exist as a culture separated between the Aztecs and the Mayas. We will heal our warriors and rebuild the newly conquered lands to turn these people in to true Aztecs. Our armies will stay strong in order to fight rebellions and squeeze any life that might be left in the Zapotec country-side. We are now rivals with the Maya’s and we will keep a keen eye on the border while we wait and strengthen ourselves. When we fight, they will be no match for us.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The Zapotec’s have worked very hard with our Aztec clerics and wisemen. In the end, they have been completely incorporated into the Aztec way of life. They accept us and we accept them as one in the same. We are brothers that will now ask the Maya to join us!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Sneak Attack! Under the cover of the summer season, traditionally a time to retreat from the fields, we have surprised the Mayan’s with our largest army...15,000 warriors! We are too strong and defeat their largest army of 6,000 Maya’s with little effort. We take control of the Zapotec provinces previously taken by the Maya and then march through the Mayan nation fighting organized armies wherever we find them and leaving small armies in our wake to control their provinces. They are not prepared for our invasion and the war is over almost before it starts!

Last edited by Dutch : 09-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The last holdouts of organized Maya's are surrounded at the province of Belize on the Gulf of Mexico. We converge on them ruthlessly with 9,000 warriors and crush them! After much celebrating and dancing, we offer the Maya’s a lasting peace by allowing them to be fully annexed into the Aztec nation. They accept the terms! We will celebrate by sacrificing their strongest warriors and leaders!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

- We leave a force of 10,000 warriors in the Maya region to quell revolts. They come early and often but we don't tell the people back in Mexico City about this. We crush revolts in Honduras, Zapotec, and Belize. We are working furiously to incorporate the Maya culture and provinces into our own so we can control the entire world! There can be only one way forward. The Aztec Way!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The last Maya outpost--already under Aztec control--in the Yukatan has converted their loyalty to the Aztecs! There are no known enemies. Moctezuma I has done it! He has shaped the world under his vision to prepare for the unknown enemies. Now, with peace at hand, we can build our technology as fast as we can, we disband our armies to research…and we wait. For what? We do not know.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Moctezuma I is dead. His legacy will forever be the unification of the entire world under his rule!

**END OF ACT I**
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
britrock88
Pro Starter

...ruthless.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

It's the only way to be if the Old World is going to survive!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

ACT II (1473– 1507) – The Prosperity of Unification

Moctezuma lies at the steps of the Temple of my Fathers, he can no longer make it to the top for the nightly rituals. He is old, worn down, and dying. His eyes are still sharp and resonate with the pride of past successes. His goals have all been met but one, did he prepare his son well enough to prepare the nation for war? Axayacatl Acamapitchtli, Heir to the throne, does't understand what is coming. Axayactl stands by his father and waits for the final breath of Moctezuma. But before Moctezuma slips into the heavens, he reaches out and grabs Axayacatl by the forearm. He pleads with him to listen to his last words. The young warrior kneels and Moctezuma pulls himself to his sons ear and whispers. And with that, he dies.

The torch of the Aztec nation has been passed. Axayacatl stands up and faces to the east...he shakes his head in disbelief as he doesn't understand his father's dream, which were the last thoughts mentioned to him before he died, but it's brought so much peace to the land that it must be the right vision and he will follow it and continue to bring peace and prosperity to the Aztec people.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-24-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

- A new era. Axayacatl Acamapitchtli takes over the reigns of the Aztec state. There are no wars to prepare for. The legacy of Moctezuma's war is safe and he will do his best to prepare future warriors for this apocalyptic battle. Will it be enough?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The veteran warriors who have put their spears down found that they could sell these antiquated items to villagers in surrounding provinces. Never before had anybody ever traded spears for food! My advisors then asked the vets to return to Mexico City where they could set up shops to sell their wares and trinkets to the locals. It's increased the overall revenue of the capital. I think our advisors are on tosomething big with this, but what exactly, we’re not sure. Keep up the good work, smart guys!

The ancient city of Tenochtitlan (Mexico City, Mexico) was the heart of the Aztec Empire. At the time of the Spaniards arrival in 1519, it is now believed that Tenochtitlan was the fourth largest city in the world behind Paris, Venice, and Constantinople (Istanbul). It was located on an island in Lake Texcoco, which soon after was drained by Europeans bit by bit until it no longer existed.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Military Improvements! We have determined that straight bull-rushing our opponents works much better than just lingering around and dancing in front of our enemies like ladies. No more Mr. Nice Guy. The Aztec Warriors will train once again for battle with these new techniques. A foreign invader might be wise to reconsider attacking us now or we might hurt them.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: In the "New World", The Aztec's and possibly even the Maya's, the Zapotec's and the Tlaxcala used obsidian spears and cloth shields in battle and their "battles" were designed more to wound each other than to kill, believe it or not. It truly was a ritual where one side would prove their victory almost through dance and intimidation than through killing. My badgering of ancient warriors as "ladies" or "dancers", it is surely in jest...but they really did not know of the western, African, and Asian ways of warfare...much like the western world really did not know of the Aztec's way of post-war human sacrifices.)

Last edited by Dutch : 09-24-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

- After a long, peaceful 19 year reign, Axayacatl Acamapitchtli is dead. His son, Tenoch II Acamapitchtli takes over. The legacy of Moctezuma is safe, but was that a true story or just an old Aztec legend? Tenoch II isn't as sure as his father was. Sometimes, without proof, these things are just stories. There are no other enemies out there, afterall. In all of his searching, Tenoch's father never found anything in this world of ours that wasn't part of the Aztec Empire. Besides the "uninhabitable" desert to the north and the "uninhabitable" jungle to the south.

...and people coming up out of the water? That's other-worldly. That could never happen!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

1492: "The Discovery of the New World"

(NOTE: The Aztec are unaware of this historical event that takes place late in 1492. The Spaniards (Castillians) send an expedition out into the Atlantic Ocean under the leadership of an Italian captain, Christopher Columbus, who sails for the Spice Islands. But he never makes it, instead landing on the island he called "San Salvador" in what is today known as the Bahamas. Relatively speaking, it's really not to far from where the Aztec's were. It an event that will forever change the history of the world. Historically speaking, it would spell destruction for the Aztec's. In the game, and playing as the Aztecs, I have no idea when or where the Europeans land and discover America or when they might meet up with my nation of Aztecs...who have been preparing, albeit slowly, for this amazing contact between two people's that didn't know each other ever existed before.)

Last edited by Dutch : 10-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The Aztec's, a nation of traders have reached out from the capital city to the far corners of their world. Rumors come back that a people far to the south called the Inca exist and have their own empire. Would they be friendly? Would they assimilate to Aztec life? Are they the legendary enemy Tenoch's grandfather spoke of? Only time will tell, I guess.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Good stuff! I'm really enjoying this so far.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

- There is a great lake complex far to the north called the Huron that is supposed to be massive and controlled by another tribe by the same name. Tenoch wonders if the Aztecs aren't as alone as he thought they were. Maybe they should investigate their surroundings more? ...nah!!!

- The legends of Moctezuma are slipping away from Tenoch and the Aztec people. They don't work very fast and discoveries and improvements are coming at a snails pace. Perhaps the Aztec people feel no pressure to improve their lot in life...it's pretty good as it is after all.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

- More adventurous traders, more tales of other people. Apparently there are other tribes up north besides the Huron. Quapaw...the Santee? Who are all these people wonders a bewildered Tenoch II? They must just be stories dreamt up by bored Aztec traders.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

- As much as Tenoch believes they are just stories, other traders are confirming the existence of other people. Also, besides giant lakes, apparently there is a massive river system in the north and lots ofpeople trade all up and down this river? Tenoch's advisors think they should meet these people one day and see if the Aztecs can trade their wares with them? That might make the Aztecs stronger and that would be nice.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Ohimalpopoca, Tenoch's primary military advisor, is always by the ocean’s edge. He is a thinker and a dreamer. The other day he felled some trees, shaped them with sharp obsidian knives, tied them together, put them in the ocean, placed 10 warriors on it...and they floated away! 'Eureka!' was the exclamation Ohimalpopoca used, but Tenoch questioned why his advisor always plays like that? Ohimalpopoca called it the beginnings of a Navy, but Tenoch laughed and prided himself in not even knowing what that meant. He then said he called it the loss of 10 warriors. Tenoch should sacrifice Ohimalpopoca to the gods, but he thinks they would be displeased, as the Gods just received 10 warriors by boat in the water. Tenoch let's his advisor continue with his shenanigans. Maybe one day this "Aztec Navy" will prove fruitful.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Complaining about the Navy advisor probably wasn't a good idea. The Navy/Water Gods spoke immediately and took Tenoch II's life. His legacy will always be the discovery that the Aztec's weren't alone (Huron, Inca, Mississippi River trading).

- He, like his father, led the Aztec nation for many peaceful years (16 years to be exact). His son, Motelchiu takes control of the nation. He does not believe in the legendary story of his great-grandfather. But it won't matter now whether he believes it or not.

**END OF ACT II**

Last edited by Dutch : 09-24-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

ACT III (1509 – 1600)

"A Great Enemy Will Arrive From Out of the Water" - Moctezuma

(...to be continued...)

Last edited by Dutch : 09-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Good stuff! I'm really enjoying this so far.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just as Motelchiu is brushing off the legacy of invading forces from the water as just a story...reports of strange ships appearing off the coast of the Yukatan rattle the Aztec people. It is reported that these boats are massive and like nothing the Aztec's had ever seen before.

Ohimalpopoca, the military advisor, races back to the Capital to tell Motelchiu of these strange warriors from the sea. Motelchiu is immediately alarmed and while he is afraid, he knows the Aztec people have prepared for this moment and they will be brave when dealing with this enemy.

The warriors on the massive ships are made of silver and carry sticks that create thunder when the silver warriors discharge them!

Some of the military regiment commanders believe that these silvermen are gods but Motelchiu quickly dismisses this and tells his commander's to never speak of that again. Motelchiu insists that these men are not made of silver and that they are hostile.

Ohimalpopoca is in disbelief in Motelchiu's words. These men were not hostile! But Motelchiu will not hear it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

- More ships have arrived, they fly giant floating flags that whip and crack in the wind. It is a terrifying sight to behold. Some of our local leaders approach them against the judgement of Motelchiu and they have come to understand that they are from across the great ocean from another land! They do not speak Nahuatl (the native tongue of the Aztecs) but they repeat the words "Castillian” and “God” repeatedly. They are most frightening to look at and shine brightly in the shining sun, but some look weak and sick and we are sure tnow that Motelchiu is right and that they are not Gods like some of the local leaders say.

They haven’t caused any harm to the Aztec's, but do not come on land for very long before retreating to their ships in fear.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Outside of a busy coastline full of European explorers, no enemy invasion force ever arrived. Much to the dismay of Motelchiu. He sent an expedition of Aztec's out on Ohimalpopoca's "Navy ships" to follow the foreigners and they returned having "discovered" a nation called Florida. It’s not too far away from the Yukatan province, but we don’t know the value of that or the interest these foreign ships have with Florida or the Aztecs.

- For 10 years, Motelchiu smoked tobacco in the Temple of my Fathers and pondered why the foreign invader's that his fathers warned him about had not attacked.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Motelchiuh dies in 1521. His legacy is being the first to meet the "Enemy From The Water".

- His son and heir is called Moctezuma II.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-25-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #39
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The Aztec's have built their very own ship that can sail the oceans! It is fashioned after the Castillians vessels.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Military Technology gained! After watching the Castillians and their weapons, the military fastened another spear onto another spear and have a thing the Castillian's call a Pike. The Aztec's think it’s pretty awesome and is definitely was a great defensive weapon.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
Dutch
"Dutch"

- We have decided to send a caravan of sugar and other goods through unexplored terrains to the Mississippi River basin where legend tells the Aztec's that many other mysterious people exist to trade goods. We’ll see if this adds to our culture!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Foreign ships from Castille have vanished. They have not been in our waters in a few years. Moctezuma II wonders what has happened to them?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
Dutch
"Dutch"

- A single ship passes, they say they are French.

-A few months later, another passes...they say they are Portuguese.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #44
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The French ships have come around quite a bit now,still little to no signs of the Portuguese or Castillians. No foreigners have stepped foot on Aztec soil. Moctezuma II is confused by these actions.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Good news, the first docks are in place and a marketplace in now in Mexico City...it is the envy of the entire empire and others now want these ammenities!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #46
Grover
Pro Starter

Really enjoying this, Mike! Keep it going!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #47
Dutch
"Dutch"

- There is a huge infrastructure surge taking place now in the Aztec Empire. Every province gets an Armory that is a boost to the manpower and also ensures all warriors have the new pikes. Docks will be built in all coastal provinces to increase food gathering, and markets will be built to help our trading capacities. It is a glorious time to be an Aztec! The lack of warfare for so many years has allowed us to invest and strengthen the entire nation.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #48
Dutch
"Dutch"

- Our military advisors have done a great job, they have converted our primitive spearmen into great American Mountain Warriors. These troops use refined pikes in conjuction with the entire regiment as opposed to the old "Eastern Rush" tactic the warriors used. They are exceptionally brave and well trained and will withstand battle longer than any warriors they have ever had before!

Last edited by Dutch : 09-25-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
Dutch
"Dutch"

- A new enemy appears on the sea. But this time from the Pacific side. It flies no national symbol such as the Castillians, the Portuguese or the French...but a terrifying black flag with a human skull and crossed human arm bones. Many fisherman and villagers panic and run at this site as they have not seen what we have seen in the Gulf of Mexico. We assured the local leaders on the Pacific coast that they do not leave the ships except to make small talk and light trading.

- But this new ship is a port raider and it kills fishermen and blocks everybody from using the water. Local leaders complain and we decide to build one of these ships to confront the "pirate".
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
Dutch
"Dutch"

- The "Navy" built the first "carack", a mighty sea-faring ship to attack the unmarked pirate ship. The Aztec's send it into battle but the "Navy" warriors panicked and the Aztec ship limped back to port…the mystery ship is nowblocking all trade in and out of the province. This is the first time that we have fought against a foreign enemy.