Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

CC Fraud - How to ID the Thief

So I just got an AmEx fraud alert asking if I just ordered Subway. I wasn't sure if maybe the wife or one of the kids did it through my account, so I was about to do some checking when I get two emails from Subway - one thanking me for updating my information and another confirming my delivery... to an apartment building in NY. That's right - they didn't even bother to disable email or hide it, they simply changed the cell phone number associated with my account and gave a delivery address, but under my name.

I call AmEx and they are great as usual - confirmed who I am, struck the fraudulent charge, and sent me a new card arriving tomorrow. I then tell them I've got a cell phone number and address and they don't care! I'm thinking to myself, I realize $20 in fraud isn't SWAT team territory, but you could literally beat the DoorDash guy to the location with the headstart I've given you.

Nope. Maybe someone from fraud services will call me back later, but that's all they need for now.

So now I'm curious who this fucker is. I know there are pay sites where you can possibly reverse track cell phone numbers. Anyone know a free way to get this info? I mean, besides calling him/her? I'd love to fuck with this person, but I don't need to give them any more of my personal information than they already have. And who knows, this could be a burner phone.

In case anyone is interested though... (347) 384-7784, 42-26 81ST STREET
QUEENS, NY 11373. Might answer as Chris for the next 30 minutes!

Looks like the building is an apartment complex and they left off the unit number (smart), so they'll probably meet the guy outside or in the lobby.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wow
Old 03-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Does *67 really make your call anonymous? Is that still a thing?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

I was so pissed when Uber wouldn't give me into on the person, or the trip they took, who used by credit card number to take a $150 trip somewhere. Privacy policy. I'm sure they have a good reason for it, but I paid for the trip, damn it. (until the charge was removed).

Last edited by molson : 03-08-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #5
Ksyrup

I don't know. I'm really curious because I'd love to mask my phone number and start texting them.

I just got another email that I shouldn't forget to finish the order in my cart on the app. Apparently they started a second order on the iPhone app but perhaps can't access it anymore since I changed the password? Or maybe they've already hacked my PW again but that card is disabled. I don't know. Getting pretty pissed though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I was so pissed when Uber wouldn't give me into on the person, or the trip they took, who used by credit card number to take a $150 trip somewhere. Privacy policy. I'm sure they have a good reason for it, but I paid for the trip, damn it. (until the charge was removed).

Yeah I was tempted to call the DoorDash driver but it said he would only answer calls from the number the order was placed with. I wanted him to tell the dude that someone knows what you did and the cops will be coming by any minute. Something, anything to put a little fear of God into this bastard.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, he is going to be shook when he gets an alert that he should get tested for HIV and Chlamydia
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

The number is a "Mobile Phone by Enflick". Which I believe means its a fake VOIP number from an app used by scammers. Not sure if he can receive calls or texts, but it's not a regular personal phone number.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
Ksyrup

One thing that I absolutely know - fucking Subway isn't worth it. I put in a request to delete my account. I didn't realize I had to request to no longer do business online with them. Anyway, their "privacy team" will review my request and get back to me.

The only reason I had an account to begin with is that was the only way to order during the pandemic.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
molson
General Manager

There's free online texting services like this one, my quick check with the nerds on Reddit says it's legit. Obviously don't do anything illegal, but, a friendly check in may be appropriate.

Text Free Online - Send SMS messages worldwide
Old 03-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
One thing that I absolutely know - fucking Subway isn't worth it.

I love ordering from Subway because those online promo code scanners always have a ton of great deals for them. I get $6 footlongs all the time still.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Man, he is going to be shook when he gets an alert that he should get tested for HIV and Chlamydia

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:59 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You were lucky you got the alert. What they do is get the card number, make a small purchase to make sure it is still active, then go wild buying way more expensive shit.

I had the same issue as Molson with Uber and I was so pissed. We were t disneyland and my wallet got stolen so we were literally left with nothing since wife and I have the same cards. I used her debit card to take out a bunch of cash and my in laws cover everything until they sent us new cards to the hotel. To make it worse my wife had her license in my wallet since she hadn't brought a purse into the park so nether of us had ID and had to check in to a different hotel further in our travels. Good times.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am really tempted to call that number and pose as an FBI cyber security expert. Too bad there aren't anymore pay phones
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #15
Ksyrup

Ha, yep!

I've always been fascinated by whatever algorithms the credit card companies use to know which transactions are potential fraud and which aren't - especially in the online age. I don't travel a ton, but when I do, I hardly ever get an alert. I'm going to Nashville next week for a concert and am tempted to charge something to the new card they send me just to see what happens. It also makes me a bit paranoid to think that part of that algorithm involves having access to my email, apps and calendars to know what plans I've made so that they know where I am and when.

For instance, I bought our tickets to Hawaii using SkyMiles and paying for the tickets with my Delta Reserve card, so AmEx naturally knows when I'm going to Hawaii. That makes sense to me. But AmEx has no reason to know I'll be in Nashville next Thursday and I don't often go there. So why won't I get a fraud alert?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:37 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Ha, yep!

I've always been fascinated by whatever algorithms the credit card companies use to know which transactions are potential fraud and which aren't - especially in the online age. I don't travel a ton, but when I do, I hardly ever get an alert. I'm going to Nashville next week for a concert and am tempted to charge something to the new card they send me just to see what happens. It also makes me a bit paranoid to think that part of that algorithm involves having access to my email, apps and calendars to know what plans I've made so that they know where I am and when.

For instance, I bought our tickets to Hawaii using SkyMiles and paying for the tickets with my Delta Reserve card, so AmEx naturally knows when I'm going to Hawaii. That makes sense to me. But AmEx has no reason to know I'll be in Nashville next Thursday and I don't often go there. So why won't I get a fraud alert?

What sucks is when they get it wrong. My MIL had a heart transplant in 2009. We lived in Seattle as you know, and she was in New York. We got the word that she had gotten a heart and we literally purchased tickets at the airport, or maybe online then went to the airport, either way same day. Landed in NYC and hopped in a cab to a hotel. Tried to check in and all our cards had been cancelled because they were triggered for fraud and since we were on the plane they couldn't contact us so they cancelled them.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So why won't I get a fraud alert?

Because you've shown a tendency toward travel X number of miles away from home?

Just a guess.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:24 AM   #18
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
One thing that I absolutely know - fucking Subway isn't worth it.

You got that right. Two paper thin slices of meat and 6 oz. of shredded lettuce. Much better options out there including Capriotti's and Jersey Mike's.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:38 AM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

When someone stole my card they used to buy Krystals at 3 different restaurants. It was when they tried to use it at an upscale bar in Atlanta that they got caught. Krystals didn't trigger fraud, but a $31 martini did. My bank knows me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Because you've shown a tendency toward travel X number of miles away from home?

Just a guess.

Maybe? But in the recent past, I haven't traveled all that much. Now, during the height of my kids' travel ball days, someone could use my card in Thailand and it could've been me. But in the past few years, I haven't traveled all that much (and it's been even more restricted during Covid of course).

I do travel between home and Louisville twice a week (about an hour each way) because that's where my office is, but other than that, I don't travel all that much. Two or three vacations a year and maybe 4-5 work trips. Maybe a couple more trips up near Cincinnati where my daughter lives.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #21
molson
General Manager

I never get fraud alerts. They let somebody buy thousands of dollars of flooring material in Georgia once.

I do notify them when I go overseas.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My card was used in NY about 10 years ago. They shut it down quickly. I was thankful at the time, but then I got a stupid interview or some junk about never having been to NY.

They then cancelled my card for buying 3 dozen roses for my wife...and again the next time I did that.

I ended up calling them to tell them I get it, but please just try and warn or contact me first. Since then I've had maybe 3 transactions over the past 8 years or so where I got asked for confirmation...but any time I make a "big" purchase (at least in my eyes), I make sure the phone is near me.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #23
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The only time I tripped the fraud detection on my debit card was when I bought a new sound system (from Amazon) for a house I was moving into. It was cleared up quickly.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did they hack your subway account or your card? If it's your subway account, may be time to change any account using the same password.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #25
Bobble
College Prospect

I know I'd be spending the rest of my day inputting that phone number and address to sign up for every online B.S. offer I can find. "Yes, please contact me about my car's warranty. Here's my number and address".
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #26
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did they hack your subway account or your card? If it's your subway account, may be time to change any account using the same password.

Yeah, I thought about that too. It was the account. That was the card used with the account.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #27
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2048tm View Post
I experienced a similar experience. Someone used my email address to sign up for an app. And I can't sign up with my email address again.

Look, we all know it was you that signed up for that app.

If you need any help on fudging bank statements, there's a thread for that.