Pro Rookie

Yeah, we will open it up a little bit.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #302
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Wolfpack Dominate First Game
Greg Stelmack, Staff Writer
ATHENS, OH - The NC State Wolfpack won their opening game on the road in convincing fashion with a 45-7 thrashing of Ohio University. Kenny Spragan had a huge day, throwing for 336 yards and 5 TDs. The Wolfpack defense was dominant, holding Ohio to just 7 first downs and 127 yards of total offense.

All was not roses, however. With a 31-7 lead heading into the fourth quarter and a suffocating defense (Ohio's only points came on a long kickoff return), the Wolfpack kept Spragan in the game and continued to throw the ball, with Spragan getting 2 of his TD passes in the final stanza.

"The football gods do not look kindly on teams that run up the score like that." noted Thelonius M. Quarters, popular NFL columnist. "Revenge is likely to be exacted soon upon the Wolfpack. Don't tempt the football gods when your next game is against a powerhouse team from the same state as the one you just abused."

Wolfpack fans were said not to care. "TMQ must be from Carolina" noted one student at the game. "45-7 is running up the score? Who is that nut?" stated another. "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! TOGA TOGA TOGA!" came from a third.

Up next week is national powerhouse Ohio State. Can Spragan repeat his performance against a top-10 team? This will be a real test for the Wolfpack.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #303
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Actually, I think Ohio State should be loving us right about now. In-state schools by rule hate each other. Maybe they'll take the team out for beers before the game!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #304
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I really doubt Ohio State cares. That would be like us having a rivalry with Davidson or Elon.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #305
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I hear Elon's pretty tough.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #306
CraigSca
Pro Starter

When playing opponents we have no right beating, it always makes sense to play for the big play. Against weaker opponents, stay within your game and let the talent take over. Against Ohio State, I am therefore ready to take more chances...
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-27-2004 at 08:03 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #307
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Cool article, gstelmack! This'll make this fun
how do you know?

Old 09-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #308
Balldog
Pro Rookie

When is our next game? (rl)

Last edited by Balldog : 09-27-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #309
CraigSca
Pro Starter

How 'bout Monday? We'll do our offweek on Thursday, and that gives us the weekend to formulate a gameplan, depth charts, etc. I figure 2 weeks per RL week. Does that sound ok for everyone else? Shall we aim for quicker/slower?
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-27-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:38 PM   #310
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
How 'bout Monday? We'll do our offweek on Thursday, and that gives us the weekend to formulate a gameplan, depth charts, etc. I figure 2 weeks per RL week. Does that sound ok for everyone else? Shall we aim for quicker/slower?
That pace sounds good to me. If anyone wanted to move along a little quicker I can do that too.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #311
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I'm ok with 2, but could definitely do 3.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #312
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Dola

Maybe for this offweek we should speed things up?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #313
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm game for that. Do the recruiting week on Wednesday and shoot for the game against Ohio State on Friday?
how do you know?

Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #314
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds good, then the next game on Monday Evening or Tues. morning?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:45 AM   #315
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Actually, due to my odd schedule, it would probably take place Tuesday night.
how do you know?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 AM   #316
Balldog
Pro Rookie

So the Ohio State game is Friday?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:06 AM   #317
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Our next sim week (we have off) will be Thursday. I'm shooting to play the Ohio State game on Monday or Tuesday, depending on my weird travel schedule. I think we should all prepare for Monday as our next game day.
how do you know?

Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #318
vex
Grizzled Veteran

So is it Wed. or Thurs? Morning, evening?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:23 PM   #319
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well, I haven't received any word on recruting yet....and here it is Tues. night. So, let's continue to shoot for Thurs. as next sim day.
how do you know?

Old 09-28-2004, 11:54 PM   #320
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still waiting for reports from the position coaches.

cthomer, I was wondering if you have any recruits you want to visit out in Cali. I've got quite a few players I'd like to visit sometime so I figure it would be best to set up a Cali recruiting trip some week if that works for you.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:34 AM   #321
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quick update:

Quickly reviewed Ohio State. It looks like we match up fairly well. They have an accurate QB, but he runs more than he throws, and is their leading rusher (through 1 game). They run a Double Wing formation. The O Line isn't very good, but they have loads of talent at the RB position, although they seem to let the QB run. I would focus on the run and make him beat us through the air. He is accurate and has two good receivers to throw to, but ran only 12 pass plays in their first game.

The D Line is pretty weak, so we should be able to take advantage of that, however the ILB's are pretty stout. The secondary is fairly good. I wouldn't open up the deep passing tooooo much.

I'll present a more in depth report this evening.

Buzzbee.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #322
Buzzbee
College Starter

Scouting Report: Ohio State

Offense

With only one week to go on, it's difficult to tell exactly what type of team OSU is. One thing is for sure though. They can run the ball. They have a stable of running backs, four that I'd rate as being very good. However, their biggest running threat may be QB Jim Horton. He was the Buckeyes leading rusher last weak with 142 yards on just 15 attempts for a 9.4 average. They've also got a power running fullback who is also very good. His biggest asset is his ability to always fall forward to gain that extra couple of yards.

Center Brock Selerno is the anchor on a somewhat below average line. However, he is a much better pass blocker than run blocker. The guard position is the definite weakness with some young, undeveloped players. Their best guard IS a senior, but he plays about like a sophomore. They are good at the tackles with their starters, but they lack depth. Look for the line to fade near the end of the game. The offensive line is an area that we should be able to take advantage of.

We can't totally ignore the passing game as they have two excellent receivers in seniors Sean Meadows and James Cochran. With the easy win last week, the Bucks didn't throw much. Expect that to change some this week. These guys are too good to ignore. The Bucks also have some depth with some good 3rd and 4th receivers.

The Buckeyes ran 53 times (5th) last week for 335 yards (2nd) so they are primarily a running team. I don't expect them to reverse course, but they probably ran more than normal because it was a blowout. 35-40 rushes is probably a reasonable expectation. Conversely, they passed only 12 times, completing 8.

Recommendation: Focus on the run first, but don't ignore the pass. OSU has a lot of weapons so a balanced defense is desirable, with a moderate slant toward the run. The offensive line is the weakness, but put too much pressure on QB Horton and he'll simply run right by the rushing defenders.

Defense
Ohio State's defensive line is anchored by defensive end Wayne Randle. He is undersized at 243 lbs, but don't let that fool you. He is very good. {NOTE: Game doesn't specify R or L DE, so I don't know where he lines up. Errr!!!} The big gaping hole for the Buck defense is definitely the middle of the D Line. They are young and inexperienced at DT. Don't be fooled though. The younguns are backed by a rotation of three very good inside linebackers. They are weaker at OLB with a couple of good players and not much else. The secondary is outstanding, with the nickel corner being as good as the Bucks very good starters, and better than most other schools starters. The safeties are just plain ole excellent. Sticking with a west coast style passing game may be a prudent decision.

Recommendation:
The Ohio State defense isn't invincible. They are weak at defensive tackle and this can be exploited to a degree. However, a very bad Cincinnati team was held to -10 yards rushing last weak, so it won't be a walk in the park. The linebackers prevent the long gains. The secondary is formidable, but the same very bad Cincinnati team managed 198 yards passing, so they aren't invincible. Establish the run, focusing on the weak middle. Keep the Buckeye offense off the field with a ball control offense.

The Buckeyes are very good but believe it or not, they are still fairly young. We can hang with the starters, but the OSU depth is superior. Getting an early lead and hanging on will be our best shot. Expect them to have a big 4th quarter as fatigue sets in for our ballclub.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #323
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Defensive Recruiting Strategy

Current Recruits

DE Richard Feliciano (Call) Let's keep after this Texan.

DE Chris Ansell (Call) He says he is into academics, but it looks more like he's a prestige guy trying to sound good on the phone to please his momma.

DT Allen Castillo (Call) I would like to visit, but for one guy, it's not worth it.

DT Leonard Compton (None) Indiana is going to be too tough to beat here IMO.

DT Melvin Salcido (None) Give it up, Stanford wants the guy and he;s already visiting there.

ILB Junior Loomis (Call) - Let's give it a week and see who enters the picture. I think we may have a shot against Oklahoma because they are going after another ILB as well.

OLB Sammie Richardson (Visit) Hopefully he'll want to stay close to home.

CB Darren Miner (Call) Things are looking extremely good here at the moment.

CB Wade Copperfield (Call) We're his only offer at the moment. We just have to hope LSU or Nebraska don't offer.

S Ralph Phillips (Visit & Request visit and offer if he's better than scouted. If he isn't, just forget him)

New Recruits

OLB Clarence Anthony (NC) - Visit...then req. vsit and offer if he's BTS.

ILB J.B. Stephenson (NC) - Visit...then req. vsit and offer if he's BTS.

DT Marty McWilliams (CA) - Call, Req. Visit, & Offer .....don't actually visit

DT Edwin Slattery (CA) - Call

CB Lawrence Rasmussen (OH) - Call

CB Edward Fleming (NC) - Visit....then req. visit and offer if he's BTS.

That's it for the defense. Obviously we may not be able to get to all of these guys since we have to recruit for the offense too, but let's make sure and contact our current recruits and add some new names to the list too.

Last edited by vex : 09-29-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #324
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I'm still waiting for reports from the position coaches.

cthomer, I was wondering if you have any recruits you want to visit out in Cali. I've got quite a few players I'd like to visit sometime so I figure it would be best to set up a Cali recruiting trip some week if that works for you.

I'll take a look when I get home tonight and post.

Moving forward, I think the group might want to find a permanent replacement for me though. Someone just got canned here at work, and I'm basiclly shifting to a different department which is going to require a lot more of my time (more overtime work, etc). So i'm going to be without game access a lot more than I was previously (at least in the short term).

I'll be more than happy to keep giving input, I just feel like i'm going to be letting people down with my lack of time to dedicate to this. sorry...
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 AM   #325
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dynasty. Losing. Steam.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #326
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm going to be running this week's sim this morning. In the future I'm going to work off our schedule and if I don't receive word from everyone I'll "fill-in" as the head coach.
how do you know?

Old 10-01-2004, 08:25 AM   #327
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well, a 90 minute train delay last night effectively stole my TCY time, so.... "i've got nothing." I think you'll be flying blind on the offensive recruiting.

Again, I need to be replaced.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #328
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Vex,

I was able to get in the majority of your calls/visits/request visits this week. I did a little offensive recruiting of my own, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

Here's the latest from this week, in the typical garbage format:

Code:
Position Name Rank By Position Phone/Visit Further Action This Week Initial Reaction Response to Visit Coaches Impression Decision Criteria CB Wade Copperfield 180 12 2/1 called a little surprised Better than scouted Prest*/Dist WR Antoine O'Donnell 63 6 1/0 delighted, pleased about major, didn't like OC Acad*/Dist TE Jimmy Cunningham 115 5 1/0 surprised, pleased about his major Acad*/Prest T Bo Blackwell 272 40 2/1 a little surprised, pleased about major, very happy to see teammate on roster Better than scouted Acad*/Prest T Carlton Grevan 383 59 2/0 mildly pleased, pleased about major will consider, doesn't think he will accept Acad/Dist G Shane Sanderson 529 61 1/1 visited a little surprised, didn't like OC will consider, doesn't think he will accept a little worse than scouted Prest*/Dist G Mack Moorthy 336 36 1/1 visited surprised, extremely excited about proximity, happy to see teammate, didn't like OC will give our invitation strong consideration a little worse than scouted Dist/Acad DE Chris Ansell 2 1 2/2 surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC at all strongly considering Clemson, doesn't think he will accept quite a bit better than scouted Acad/Prest DE Richard Feliciano 8 3 3/2 NO called surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC very much will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Acad/Prest DT Bo Connolly 43 1 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major a little worse than scouted Acad*/Dest CB Darren Miner 156 9 2/1 called positively delighted, pleased about major, didn't like DC at all will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Acad*/(dist) DT Leonard Compton 475 20 0/1 mildly pleased, pleased about major, didn't like DC at all will consider, doesn't think he will accept a little worse than scouted Acad*/dist DT Melvin Salcido 462 19 1/0 overjoyed will consider, doesn't think he will accept Prest/Dist OLB Richard Fairly 61 7 1/0 surprised, didn't like DC very much OLB Sammie Richardson 155 14 0/2 visited a little surprised, pleased about major will consider, doesn't think he will accept better than scouted Acad*/Prest ILB Junior Loomis 40 5 2/0 called surprised, didn't like DC at all will consider, doesn't think he will accept Prest*/Acad S Ralph Phillips 518 30 1/1 visited a little surprised, didn't like DC at all a little worse than scouted Prest/Acad DT Allen Castillo 232 6 2/0 called happy, mildly pleased about proximity will consider, doesn't think he will accept Dist/Acad TE Corey Adams 702 34 1/0 called mildly pleased, extremely excited about proximity, likes OC, dream to play for us will almost certainly accept invitation Dist/Prest RB Mario Burgesss 242 21 0/1 visited happy, pleased about major will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Acad/Dist OLB Clarence Anthony 497 26 0/1 visited happy, pleased about major will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Acad*/Dist ILB J.B. Stephenson 358 23 0/1 visited mildly pleased, didn't like DC at all will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Prest/Acad CB Edward Fleming 291 22 0/1 visited mildly pleased, pleased about major, didn't like DC at all will consider, doesn't think he will accept Better than scouted Acad/Dist DT Marty McWilliams 350 10 1/0 called a little surprised Prest/Acad QB Nate Fink 57 4 1/0 called mildly pleased, pleased about academics Acad/Dist CB Lawrence Rasmussen 344 26 1/0 called seemed happy, pleased about major, didn't like DC at all Acad/Dist DT Edwin Slattery 624 28 1/0 called extremely happy, pleased about major Acad*/Dist

No upsets as far as conference play, and (of course) Ohio State slaughtered Marshall, 41-13. I will be simming our game against them on Monday morning.
how do you know?

Old 10-01-2004, 08:58 AM   #329
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'll ask internally first - anyone wanna move from position coach to offensive recruiting coordinator?
how do you know?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #330
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hey, we got our first two visits! A TE (Corey Adams, #702 nationally) who idolizes us and G Mack Moorthy (#280 nationally).

DTs Castillo and Feliciano still aren't visiting anyone and neither are our CB candidates Darren Miner and Wade Copperfield.
how do you know?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #331
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not so pleased with my week of recruiting either.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #332
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Hey, we got our first two visits! A TE (Corey Adams, #702 nationally) who idolizes us and G Mack Moorthy (#280 nationally).

DTs Castillo and Feliciano still aren't visiting anyone and neither are our CB candidates Darren Miner and Wade Copperfield.

Let's notify the local strip club that recruits are starting to visit. Tell them just to charge it to our account.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #333
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The Offensive Line looks like its in good shape for Ohio State. I'd say bump up starter's playing time by 2 pts for LT, LG, C, and RG. Bump it up 1 point for RT.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:25 PM   #334
vex
Grizzled Veteran

If any of the defensive position coaches have a recruit we should go after, give me a shout before 12 or so tonight because that's when I'll put up the next week of contacts.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #335
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'll submit gameplan early Monday morning.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #336
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Are we still playing the game on Monday since the board was down all weekend? If so...here is the gameplan vs Ohio State:
Code:
Defensive Gameplan vs Ohio State Primary Formation: 3-4 Depth Chart Defensive Line - (Playing Time) LE - Blaine Finch (3) RE - CJ Schmaltz (6) DE3 - Timothy Carter DE4 - Mario Beethoven NT - David Finley (5) DT2 - Myron Branch (3) DT3 - Ian Lynnwood DT4 - Harold Alston Linebackers SILB - Herman Sanderson (6) WILB - Neal Hollins (7) ILB3 - Ethan Alexander ILB4 - Marcus Perez SOLB - Steve Durham (4) WOLB - Thurman Arnswaldt (4) OLB3 - Lorenzo Roberts OLB4 - Leslie Davis *Orient LB by Weak/Strong Defensive Backs CB1 - Ralph Spaulding (5) CB2 - Henry Westbrook (5) CB3 - Jorge Montgomery CB4 - AJ McKenzie CB5 - Jessie Cortez SS - OJ Brooks (6) FS - Bubba Flynn (7) S3 - Roy Murphy s4 - Jessie Cortez Orient CB by placing top CB against top WR Double Cover top WR - 30 Double Cover 2nd best WR - 30 Run Expectation First Down - (84/82/68/51) Second Down - (84/75/54/47) Third Down - (85/35/25/30) Fourth Down - (87/34/20/32) Tendencies Goal Line - 50 Nickel Package - 50 Tendency to blitz - 60 Dime Package - 50 Prevent Package - 30 Blitz multiple players - 60 Blitz percentage by position WOLB - 20 WILB - 10 SILB - 30 SOLB - 15 CB1 - 0 CB2 - 0 SS - 20 FS - 5 Pass Coverage in normal situations Man to Man - 45 Bump & Run - 10 2-Deep Zone - 25 3-Deep Zone - 10 4-Deep Zone - 10
Old 10-03-2004, 11:02 PM   #337
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I guess if we have the gameplans and recruiting in by monday morning, we're all systems go.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:03 PM   #338
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Dola

Is anyone going to take over the offensive recruiting coordinator position?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:55 AM   #339
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Defensive Recruiting Strategy - Week 4
Current Recruits

DL

Richard Feliciano DE - Phone (We're actually still in the drivers seat here)

Chris Ansell DE - None (It just isn't looking good here, sorry Quik.)

Allen Castillo DT - Phone (This could be rough, K-State is on him now, he's from Oklahoma and he favors distance, so this seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

Leonard Compton DT - None (Only phone or visit if we have extra after everything else)

Melvin Salcido DT - None (Let's wait, watch and see what happens with him and Stanford.)

Edwin Slattery DT - None (He looks like he's going to stay in Cali)

Bo Connolly DT - None (Still Visiting Michigan)

Marty McWilliams DT - Phone (Let's stay after him, passively.)

LB

J.B. Stephenson ILB - Visit (This guy is going to be tougher to grab than expected)

Junior Loomis ILB - Phone (Let's stay after this guy)

Clarence Anthony OLB - None (Looks like Wake is going to get a stud)

Sammie Richardson OLB - Visit (Hopefully, Colorado is too far away for him)

Richard Fairley OLB - None (Looks like a Bulldog)

DB

Darren Miner CB - Phone (Hopefully we can keep him home)

Edward Fleming CB - Visit (We are looking really good here IMO)

Wade Copperfield CB - Visit (Could he be the other part of an awesome CB tandem?)

Lawrence Rasmussen CB - Phone (Let's stay in contact this week and see what happens with Fleming and Copperfield)

Ralph Phillips S - None - We shouldn't have even gone after him in the first place.

New Recruits

I had a lot typed out, but I lost it, luckily I had saved the current recruits typeup.

Casey Batista DT - Visit...Req. Visit & Offer if he's BTS.

Jim Winters S - Visit...Req. Visit & Offer if he's BTS.

Keith Banks OLB - Visit...Req. Visit & Offer if he's BTS.

Code

Blue Text = Top priority this week.
Green Text = Still an important player, but either the odds aren't good or we have a better shot elsewhere.
Orange Text = It would be nice to phone this player, but if phones or visits are limited, this player can go a week w/o being contacted.
Red Text = Forget it.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #340
Balldog
Pro Rookie

OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN VS. OHIO STATE
Official

Code:
Depth Chart - QB / RB / RCV PT QB1 Spragan, Kenny 8 QB2 Amaya, Justin QB3 Walk-on FB1 Sweeney, Earnest 6 FB2 Hickman, Clyde FB3 FL Brodie, Trent 4 SE Wertz, Kenneth 4 WR Clark, Donald WR Forbes, Earl WR Harmon, Julio TE1 Mackie, Jack 6 TE2 Gilman, Kevin TE3 Rivers, Rob RB1 Macri, Orlando 2 RB2 Linquist, Gino RB3 Ramirez, BJ 3rd Macri, Orlando Depth Chart - OL / Kicking PT LT Lentzner, Newt 8 LG Matthews, Nathan 7 C Bednarsh, Ricky 8 RG Wayne, Cedric 6 RT Miller, Kevin 4 B T Frederick, Hugh B T Morton, Bobby B G Buckner, Glenn B G Everett, Adrian B C Walk-on OFFENSIVE GAMEPLAN Running percentage in normal situations 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1st Dwn 57 55 48 44 2nd Dwn 67 51 60 38 3rd Dwn 58 23 18 19 4th Dwn 59 0 0 0 Tendencies Willingness to go for it on 4th Dwn: 50% Willingness to run the ball inside the opponent's 20: 60% Run direction by percentage LE LT LG C RG RT RE 8 16 21 20 19 8 8 Pass distance attempt by percentage in normal situations Scr 1-10 11-20 21-30 31+ 10 45 32 8 5 Run Details Finesse runs as a percentage of running plays 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1st Dwn 18 21 16 0 2nd Dwn 14 12 10 0 3rd Dwn 8 9 0 0 4th Dwn 0 0 0 0 Tendencies Use of option running plays: 0% Percentage of overall carries by position RB FB QB WB 95 5 0 0
Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #341
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Sweet guys...I just got back from a all-morning doctor's appt. for my son and I'm heading to the train in about 15 mins. I'll sim and post tonight...
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #342
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Also, since no one has requested moving up to offensive recruiting coordinator, I'm going to offer it to mckerney, since he was next in line for a spot.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #343
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I printed out all the details of the offensive and defensive game plans so I could input the parameters on the train tonight. Unfortunately, my printer refused to print the percentage of passes at the various distances (the printout was truncated). Therefore, though I knew Balldog wished to "open it up", I decided it was best to keep our parameters the same as week 1. Also, my recruiting spreadsheet is on my other PC. I tried to email myself the file so I could add to it, but it didn't come across successfully. Because of this, the recruiting spreadsheet only lists new recruits we contacted this week, as well as recruits who are no longer influenced by additional phone calls/visits. Vexroid, I was able to phone/visit everyone you wanted.

Code:
Pos Name National Pos Rank Phone/Visit Preferences Init Reaction Reaction to Visit Request DT Casey Batista 422 15 0/1 Acad/Prest thanked us for visit, didn't like DC at all, better than scouted probably will accept invitation S Jim Winters 0/1 Dist/Acad delighted to receive attention, mildly pleased about proximity, didn't like DC very much, better than scouted probably will accept invitation OLB Keith Banks 596 34 0/1 Dist/Acad happy to receive visit, mildly pleased by proximity, worse than scouted FB Perry Hughes 799 13 1/0 overjoyed, mildly pleased about proximity probably will accept invitation DE Richard Feliciano no longer need to contact OLB Sammie Richardson no longer need to contact
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #344
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ohio State (2-0) at North Carolina State (1-0), no TV

In their first two games, #6 Ohio State has defeated their two opponents by a combined score of 82-23. Ohio State currently leads the country in rushing (296.5 ypg) and is #6 in rushing defense (6.5 ypg). In only our 2nd game, we face a top 10 team. How will the Wolfpack fare?

It’s a rainy, 45-degree Saturday here in Raleigh, North Carolina. The referees greet the captains of both teams at midfield. North Carolina State wins the toss and elects to receive. A roar is heard from the 53,400-strong Wolfpack faithful. They’ve been tailgating since 6am this morning, and the crowd has turned raucous as they anxiously await an upset of the vaunted Ohio State Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes line up on the field for the kickoff, and we are ready. Watson kicks the ball 6 yards deep into the N.C. State end zone, and Kenneth Wertz risks it by attempting a return. He is stopped on the 18 yard line, and that’s where the Wolfpack will begin their first drive.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #345
CraigSca
Pro Starter

On first and 10 from the 18, Ohio State comes out in a 50 alignment and the call goes to Orlando Macri. Macri runs off left tackle and is immediately stopped for a 1 yard loss. On 2nd and 11 Spragan attempts his first pass of the day and connects with Kenneth Wertz for an 8 yard gain. This brings up a pivotal 3rd and 3 as the Wolfpack need the momentum at the beginning of the game to even contemplate an upset. A screen is called to Orlando Macri, he bobs and weaves but is only able to get 2 yards and it’ll be 4th and long 1. N.C. State has to be disappointed, but they have to feel they CAN move the football against this team. McCarthy gets the call on the punt, it travels 38 yards and a fair catch is called at the Ohio State 35. 12:37 left in the 1st.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #346
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Now, it’s a chance for the Wolfpack to face the #1 running attack in the nation. On 1st and 10 Mercury Schneider runs around the left end through a giant hole. 32 yards later, he’s finally dragged down by OLB Steve Durham. Hmm…this is not a good sign. On the next play Schneider takes it again, but is stopped when Herman Sanderson reads the play – 2 yard gain. 2nd and 8 – same play again, this time Schneider is successful and gains 6 yards, bringing up a huge 3rd and 2 at the N.C. State 25. The FB Omar Hardy gets the call and it’s read perfectly by the linebacking duo of Sanderson and Arnswaldt – 3 yard loss! Note: all 4 plays run by Ohio State have been to the left side. I wonder if MikeVick will be making adjustments?  4th and 5 at the NCSU 28 – does Ohio State go for it, or kick the field goal? They’re going for it! QB Jim Horton fades back and throws to Howard, OLB Steve Durham steps in front to bat the ball away and the ball is turned over on downs! On the sideline, head coach Craigsca is seen congratulating MikeVick on a great defensive stop. 10:08 left in the 1st quarter.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #347
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Nice stop!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #348
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Since Orlando Macri was stopped on the first drive, Balldog puts the call into Gino Linquist to get a carry. Ohio State is blitzing and Linquist rides the block of Newt Lentzner around the left end for a huge gain of 15 yards. The partisan crowd in Raleigh roars as the Wolfpack get their first 1st down of the day. 1st and 10 at the N.C. State 43. Ohio State again blitzes two linebackers, as Spragan attempts the pass to Trent Brodie. This ball falls harmlessly incomplete as it was well-defended by the cornerback. 2nd and 10. No blitz this time, but facing a 2-deep zone, Spragan again passes, this time to Kenneth Wertz. Again, a heads-up play by an Ohio State cornerback defends the pass and brings up a 3rd and 10. Ohio State seems to be blitzing a lot (perhaps suggesting a big play in the future?) and this time they call on a safety blitz. Spragan connects with Trent Brodie, but he’s brought down by the linebacker after a short 3 yard gain. N.C. State will have to punt. 44 yard punt, 3 yard return…Ohio State starts on their own 13, 8:18 left in the 1st.

Ohio State again begins with a run, but they try to get cute this time calling for a trap. The SS OJ Brooks cheats and stops Horton for no gain! 2nd and 10. Horton tries to take it himself on the next play and is dropped for a 2 yard loss by OJ Brooks (again) and Thurman Arnswaldt. 3rd and 12! Horton drops back to pass and Mario Beethoven blast past his block, dropping Horton for the sack! The 6 yard loss on the play brings up a 4th and 18 for Ohio State on their own 5! Looks like good field position for the Wolfpack, barring any mistakes. A horrible 26 yard punt, and a 12 yard return by Kenneth Wertz means N.C. State STARTS on the OSU 19! WILB Neal Hollins is injured on the play, but it doesn’t say it’s serious. Let’s cross our fingers. 6:40 left in the 1st.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #349
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Huge, huge, huge series for N.C. State here….a touchdown would be almost a requirement, a FG a minor disappointment. No points would be a disaster. On 1st and 10, Orland Macri gets the ball and finds a small hole for a 5 yard gain. Newt Lentzner knocked the opposing defender flat (2nd good block by Lentzner in the game). 2nd and 5. A handoff to Gino Linquist nets 5 yards and a first down – Kevin Miller gets the KRB. 1st and goal at the 9! Balldog elects to pass on 1st down, and Spragan finds RB Clyde Hickman in the flat for a 3 yard gain. 2nd and goal at the 6. Gino Linquist gets the call again and is stopped for a 1 yard loss after trying to go around the right end. 3rd and goal at the 7. Big call here…what will it be? Not surprisingly, it’s a pass. Spragan fades back and sees his first target is double-covered….he bides a little time by moving in the pocket and then makes his decision – a pass to true freshman backup TE Kevin Gilman. Spragan throws into Gilman’s outstretched hands for the 9 yard TD pass! Allen’s kick is good, and N.C. State has a 7-0 lead over #6 Ohio State with 4:25 left in the 1st quarter!
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 10-04-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:52 PM   #350
vex
Grizzled Veteran

We're leading!!!