Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #451
Radii
Head Coach

Early signing Period

Well, not good. C Withers is only at 99%. Maybe I can land him at the end of the week.

Our two 4* PG targets are lingering around but won't be signing any time soon. We remain their only offers though.

WOOHOOOOOO

Maybe the flip to the new week, or the win over Wyoming... something pushed Withers up that last 1%.

3* Darryl Withers signs with OHIO!!

As much as anything, I'm happy to have landed a committment to allow me to focus on backup targets, as Really Withers looks average.

3* C Darryl Withers - 7'0" 223 lbs - #397 OVR/#33 C

Shooting: C+
Skills: B-
Defense: C+
Athleticism: C+
Rebounding: B+
Intelligence: B+
Potential: ??
Size: A

B- post offense, B- clutch rating, A- standing dunk. B- off awareness/C+ def awareness. C's for ORB/DRB/Close and a C- in traffic. A- STR and B+ Hustle. Looks very average, looks like a guy who wont' score a lot and may not fundamentally be the best rebounder.

But, he also looks like he's 7 feet tall, so I'm happy.

One of my backup guard targets signs with VCU.

4* JC PG Isaac Gamble is up to 94% for me and has no other offers. We're now #1 on his list, having recently passed Indiana. 4* PG John McCully is more of a long shot, we only have him at 77%. But, we are #1 for him, Charlotte and Michigan are lagging behind us. They'll leapfrog up if they offer him, and we don't have high expectations here. But for now we'll continue to target him.

Backup target 3* SG Sidney Whitted has us up at 81% with only one visit made, and he's coming in for a campus visit this week. He likes Temple, but if Temple doesn't offer we'll have a very good shot.

Our next game is at a horrible Liberty team, we'll sim it.

December 1

Ohio 76
at Liberty 57

Lamkin scores 15, Lufkin 9, Bright 9, Santiago 7, Grundy 7.

I had said somewhere that Arizona State is likely our biggest challenge until the postseason(if we make it). That isn't as obviously true as i'd thought, though ASU is the highest rated team we will play. Next up we host an 85 OVR rated DePaul team and in a couple weeks we'll play a true road contest at an 85 rated Saint Louis team.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #452
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Very good idea!

Thanks, after having played out a season with backcourt violations off, I'm very happy with it that way and will definitely be leaving it like that for the duration of this dynasty.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #453
Radii
Head Coach

December 6, 2015

DePaul (3-2) at Ohio (5-1)

DePaul is rated 85 OVR (84 off/87 def/85 sht/83 reb). Again we would appear to have a big edge on the boards, and we actually grade out well in shooting as well.

DePaul has a win over the same Wyoming team we beat. Losses to #18 Wisconsin and on the road at Missouri, both by only 1 point.

According to our scout, DePaul presses after every basket and uses tight pressure. This is something that can give us a lot of trouble.

Scouting

PG Rob Franklin – SR – 82 OVR – 93 speed/88 quickness. 89 defense which is spectacular for my level. 86 close/72 med/74 3. 87 off the dribble, one of the highest i've seen. 83 handling/87 passing. 11 ppg/5.4 rpg(!!)/4.4 apg so far.

SG Clement Hamilton – JR – 79 OVR – 88 speed/87 quickness/89 defense/85 steals... that's rough. That will be made very rough by the fact that they play tight defense. 83 close/79 med/79 3/82 off the dribble. Hamilton is actually a natural PG and is a great handler and passer too. 8.6 ppg.

SF Aloysius Cobb – SR – 84 OVR – 6'5 and talented as hell. 88 speed/87 quickness. 84 defense. 89 close/83 med/72 from 3. 77 off the dribble/80 in traffic, 74 clutch which is quite good. 83 defensive awareness is spectacular. Good rebounder and post player for a SF, good hands and passer for a SF. 10.2 ppg/5.4 rpg so far this year.

PF CJ Augustine – SR – 80 OVR – 6'9”. 85 orb/80 drb, quite solid though our starters rebound better. 91 post offense/91 close/88 in traffic. 73 off the dribble. Looks like an offensive wizard in the paint. 75 post defense/80 blocked shot rating. Through 5 games he's averaging 22.2 ppg/7.4 rpg.

C Hilton Dieng – SO – 67 OVR – 6'10” so he has some decent size to him. 71 orb/83 drb, not bad really. 78 defensive awareness, super high. 73 post off/71 post def. 80 close/78 in traffic. 72 blocked shot rating(C+). Dieng looks like a fair player who isn't a big scorer. 5.2 ppg/4.2 rpg so far this year.

Handling their pressure will be the toughest thing for us today. If we can do that we can hang with these guys. They have decent depth. Most of their backups are rated around the same as our backups so there is a big dropoff past those top 4 starters.

Half
Time
OHIO
DEP
Notes
13:10
We score the first 8 points of the game, Murphy hits 2 threes and we're off. We are playing pretty well here, the pressure defense hasn't hurt us much so far, their speed is a factor though, their guards have 3 layups for 6 of their 8 points. Backups are in.
12:00
We pick up two quick reach in fouls and are up to 6 total now. They'll be shooting the rest of the way. A bit early for that shit.
11:00
Garcia has 3 quick fouls. We have 8 as a team now. We've turned it over in the backcourt twice in the last two minutes too... Snowden making his first appearance in a game I've played, Garcia sits.
8:05
We turn it over once again and they cut it to 2, 18-16. We settle down from there and get Grundy a bucket, Keller a bucket and Santiago hits a 3. Timeout DePaul.
5:40
Another turnover in the backcourt, a couple missed shots and they are on a 6-0 run to cut it back down to 1. I call a timeout to get my starters back into the game.
4:05
The rarely called charge gives Lufkin his 3rd foul of the half. I bring in Snowden to finish off the half. Ugh.
3:30
5 in a row for DePaul and they take the lead.
3:20
CRAP. I had set Lufkin to come out but he actually hadn't yet. He just picked up his 4th foul. Big blunder on my part, I thought I had already pulled him.
2:20
They're on an 11-0 run in 1:40 now. I put Santiago in at SF, and a call a timeout.

HALF
I get Watson a couple looks inside to stop their run. Both teams are shooting 45% from the floor. They are 9-10 from the line, we are 5-5. Turnovers are big, we have 8 and have only forced 4. They're getting easy looks off most of them as most of them came in the backcourt against their press.

Their talented SG, Hamilton, has 13 points. Cobb 9, Franklin 7, their backcourt is owning us. Its mostly on the drive as well. On our end, Watson has 8, Lufkin, Murphy and Santiago all have 6.

Lufkin has 4 fouls, Garcia 3. Watson has 2. I'm going to start Lamkin at SG, Santiago SF.

17:11
We score the first shot fo the half, a 3 by Santiago. After that they answer with a 3, get a 3 point play, and get a layup after a steal... rough start.
12:55
They went on a 13-0 run before we finally stopped them. Backups are in. Garcia at SG w/ 3 fouls, Lufkin at SF with 4. If one fouls out I'll have to go deeper on my bench, but that weakens me so much I'd rather risk it.
6:50
We're getting killed here, closest we got it in that stretch was 11. Starters are back in.
3:35
Defense playing well, offense is impossible. Santiago can't hit, we can't drive on them, our big men cannot make a shot, we can't make free trhows... We somehow manage 6 points anyway(3-6 at the line and a 3) to cut it to 9.
2:30
Seriously, Watson has EIGHT offensive rebounds. EIGHT. He has 2 second chance points.
2:10
I bring Grundy in for Bright the rest of the way. Watson is cleaning up the glass. But if we're going to have a scoring option inside, Bright sure as shit isn't it. Grundy might be.
0:48
We miss a jumper. Watson with the rebound. I put it back up, I don't know why. It rims out. Watson gets it again. He kicks it out to Murphy for an open shot, who misses. Watson gets it again. He kicks it to Santiago who misses. Their ball. That's probably the moment where our chances of winning hit 0.

I have never picked up offensive rebounds like I did today. And have never shot so poorly. Sad.

DePaul 73
Ohio 63

Their SG, Hamilton, killed us. 23 points. Augustine 15 points/11 boards, Cobb and Franklin with 11 each. Their top 4 guys were simply more talented than anyone we have, and it showed in the end.

Murphy: 7 points
Lamkin: 5 points
Lufkin: 8 points
Bright: 3 points/11 boards
Watson: 10 points/21 boards

Santiago: 18 points (7-13 shooting, 3-13 from 3, though 4 of those were in total desparation in the final minute... 3-9 otherwise).

Watson was 3-12. Lufkin 4-10. Lamkin 2-9, Murphy 2-5. We shoot 33% from the field as a team. Ouch!

Now a big part of this is DePaul's defense, don't get me wrong, I know that. But still, ouch! We had 16 offensive rebounds and 4 second chance points today according to the stat sheet.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #454
Radii
Head Coach

Well crap. Indiana offers 4* PG (JC) Isaac Gamble during the early signing week and he signs with them as the week closes out.

I move on to 3* SG Sidney Whitted who we have up to 84% without a scholarship offer, and with 2 more home visits to go. He's #192 overall, #50 SG. He has no other offers. Whitted is from the Bronx and appears to has some affinity towards the A-10. He likes Temple and Fordham along with us. We'll be in the lead as soon as we offer him.

We only play 1 game during the week of Dec 7, and I sim it.

Dec 12

Ohio 75
at SE Missouri 53

Bright with 18, Grundy with 11, Keller 8, Murphy 7 as we beat a 65 rated team badly at their place.

That takes us to 6-2, with our only 2 losses to tough major conference opposition, as the week of Dec 14 starts.

Mid Major Poll:

1. Nevada
2. Pepperdine
3. VCU
4. Ohio
5. Akron

Ball State is 7th, Buffalo is 16th, Miami OH 21st, Kent State 22nd, N. Illinois 23rd, Bowling Green 25th. I have some hopes that this is a multi-bid conference this year as the conference is getting a TON of mid major love.

We'll play a game vs a 75 rated Youngstown State next, sim one vs Illinois Chicago, then we'll play our last non-conference game against Saint Louis, giving us one last chance to beat a team rated as high as us.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #455
Radii
Head Coach

Mendoza and Grundy appear to be unhappy with their minutes. Either that or they are legitimately losing confidence from poor play. I've used 3 pep talks already this year and its mid-december. 2 on Mendoza and now one on Grundy.

December 18, 2015

Youngstown State (4-3) at Ohio (6-2)

Youngstown State should be a solid win for us. They're rated 75 OVR (74 off/75 def/77 sht/80 reb).

Scouting

Their main threat is their PG, 5'11 Todor miles. He's rated 80 OVR, 90 speed/87 quickness, pretty good defending, 80 3 point shot, 80 off the dribbl. 87 passing is outstanding. 15.7 ppg so far this year.

Outside of that they have 3 other starters rated in the low 70s and no one else on the team rated over 62. Not a whole lot worth writing about.

Half
Time
OHIO
YSU
Notes
12:15
Offense hasn't been flowing well. Bright and Watson struggle like hell to make anything inside, and Lamkin(who is suffing a small dip in confidence presumably from Santiago stealing all these minutes) is struggling when he drives to the basket if its not a wide open layup. Backups are in. The plan is to feed Grundy a lot.
4:00
Defense is playing awful. Their 2nd best player, rated 73 OVR, now has 14 points, Shiloh, SG. Grundy got 6 for us, so did Santiago I believe. Starters are back in.

HALF
Sloppy. Just sloppy. We're both shooting 45%. We're killing them on the boards, 22-14, but still tied. We committed 8 fouls, they 10. We shot 15 Fts, they only shot 8. However, we go 9-15, they go 7-8, and its no big thing.

Lufkin has 8 for us, Bright 6, Grundy 6, Santiago 5. Lamkin has 5 but I feel like I'm struggling with him. Murphy too, 0 points, 0-2 from 3 and from the line. Watson is still unable to score despite getting in good position a lot.

I start Grundy with the starters instead of Bright for the second half. I just have no consistent post offense(even with Bright scoring 6, its very haphazard with him).
17:00
Wow, we are just sucking it up. I call a timeout after allowing them to start on an 11-2 run. I don't know what's wrong. Watson just missed one of those auto-tips where he goes up for it without me controlling him. Seriously, what the hell, those never miss.
11:30
We score 6 in a row to cut it to 3, and then trail 50-53 before allowing them to hit two three's in a row. Gah. We're not seriously going to blow this game at home are we? Backups in.
9:25
A couple defensive stops and two baskets by Garcia in transition get the lead back down to 5, timeout Youngstown State.
6:45
Lamkin keys a 5-0 run for us and we get Murphy and Watson back on the court. The other 3 starters could use another minute. Watson immediately gets an offensive board off a missed FT right after coming back in. He kicks it out instead of trying to score.
6:00
Starters back in.
5:00
We'd be winning nicely if we could make free throws. But Watson bails us out again with another offensive board and we get 3 points out of a possession as Grundy makes 1, misses 1, and Lufkin gets the basket after Watson kicks it out.
3:00
What may be the worst pass I've ever seen by Murphy leads to a layup for them. Lufkin scores on our end to make it a 2 point game again, and they call a timeout. Lufkin has quietly scored 18 for us. So quietly I would have guessed 10 really.
2:00
Watson 1-2 at the line, Muprhy with a layup after a steal and we've got it down to 1. They burn another timeout.
1:45
They take a quick shot inside and miss, we get out on the run and Lufkin gives us the lead with a monster dunk. 6th man bonus as the crowd goes nuts.
1:15
We get a stop, Murphy is fouled on the other end going to the basket. Too bad he sucks at the line. 1-2.
They get it into the post and Watson's defense forces a tough miss inside. Grundy with the board and we hold the ball.

Lufkin has the first game for us this year where it feels at all like we have a reliable go to guy. He hits a mid-range jumper with about 15 seconds left to put us up 4 and we win a game where we really played poorly all the way around.

Ohio 74
Youngstown State 70

This is kinda the concern I had without House and Cooper. When we really need a basket, I haven't felt like I have a guy who can get me a basket. Last year if the other team went on a 6-0 run, we just run our offense but every step of the way see where House is on the court and if he is in an advantageous position. He killed most runs by our opponents before hey started. And if he couldn't, Cooper could drive by his man and draw a foul, or put up a 3. Santiago will be that for me but he isn't right now and I'm forcing it a bit much. My two best 3 point shooters went 1-14 today from 3(Murphy and Santiago).

Murphy: 3 points/2 assists (1-6, 0-5 from 3, 1-4 from the line – total suck)
Lamkin: 11 points
Lufkin: 22 points/6 boards
Bright: 6 points/10 boards
Watson: 3 points/10 boards (1-6 shooting, 1-3 at the line)

Santiago: 11 points
Grundy: 7 points/11 boards
Garcia: 7 points

We win the rebounding battle 43-25. We get 16 offensive boards today. Watson's Offensive rebounding rating is 91. He just can't seem to get the ball in the hole when he gets the board. But it buys us more time.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 AM   #456
Radii
Head Coach

Mid Major Poll (12/21):

1. Nevada (10-0)
2. Pepperdine (10-2)
3. VCU (9-1)
4. Ohio (7-2)
5. Akron (9-2)

Ball State #6, Buffalo #15, Miami OH #17, Kent State #19, N. Illinois #24

Nevada, Pepperdine, and VCU are all in the Media top 25.

I sim our only game this week vs a bad Illinois-Chicago team.

Dec 26

at Ohio 109
Illinois-Chicago 65

Told you they were bad. Bright 20, Lamkin 18, Keller 12, Lufkin 11.

Pepperdine loses a game this week and falls out of the media top 25. VCU and Pepperdine switch places in the mid major poll(Nevada 1, VCU 2, Pepperdine 3, Ohio 4 still).

Our next game is in the same line as the DePaul and Arizona State games... Saint Louis is rated above us, we're taking them on on the road.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #457
Radii
Head Coach

December 30, 2015

Ohio (8-2) at Saint Louis (6-3)

Saint Louis is rated 85 OVR (84 off/87 def/86 sht/87 reb). They have a young starting 5, but it is incredibly talented. 4 players rated 80 or above.

They lost to Miami OH earlier in the year and have lost 2 straight to Siena and St John's.

Scouting

PG Dereke Katelynas – JR – 82 OVR – 94 speed/82 quickness. 87 hands/82 passing. 91 defense(ugh), 74 steals. 81 close/73 med/84 3. 84 off the dribble. 11.8 ppg. Incredible on ball defense, decent steals guy and a big offensive threat. Not a good start to the lineup review here.

SG Theo Hammond – SO – 80 OVR – 90 speed/86 quickness. 86 defense/85 steals. 89 close/81 med/68 3/81 in traffic. He looks like a slasher who can make things real hard on our defense. 81 defensive awareness to go along with his defense and steals worries me. 9.7 ppg.

SF Houston Krager – SO – 80 OVR – natural SG, 6'5”. 88 speed/89 quickness, these guys are fast. 83 defensive awreness... real real good. 80 defense, pretty good against SF's. 84 close/70 med/74 3. 81 off the dribble/82 in traffic. 11.2 ppg.

PF RC Rios – FR – 76 OVR – 6'6”, they're tiny. 80 orb/81 drb. 81 post o/77 psot d. 88 close/86 in traffic. Decent physical abilities, 66 vert/66 str/76 hustle, all B or B-. 9.2 ppg.

C Lenny Buscher – JR – 80 OVR – That's better. 6'7” 87 orb/82 drb, solid but he's so short. 74 post offense/86 post defense(ugh). 79 blocks. 82 close/87 in traffic. He looks good except for the height. If he was 6'10 he'd be terrifying. Course, he's averaging 15 points a game anyway, leading the team. 5.8 rpg.

They have a very very strong, very balanced lineup, and they go 9 deep. Our biggest edge is our size but our starters are not good scorers inside.

Half
Time
OHIO
STL
Notes
15:40
We score the first 7, and Watson is playing inspired ball. 5 points/1 steal/1 block. Of course he's missed two easy looks or he could have 9 already. But I'll take what I can get. They call a timeout. So far our defense seems to be overwhelming them. I cannot imagine that will last.
15:30
We've only drawn 2 fouls, but both are on their PG, Katelynas. He sits. I can't imagine they'll be as good without him.
14:22
Wow. Another Timeout Saint Louis. Lufkin with a nifty 3 point play(actually Lamkin with a very nifty pass in transition cross court, Lufkin with a good finish). And Bright ends up with a dunk after they overplay and go for the steal on a post feed.
11:10
Starters are finally tired and ready to come out, I reluctantly sit them and bring in the backups. Holy crap!!! We're up 24-4 on the road at a team in a stronger conference that is higher rated that has 5 quality starters. I'm in shock. Now to not blow this opportunity.

They are struggling with their passing and ball movement a lot. A lot of poor passes into the lane leading to a lot of loose balls that we're picking up.
9:45
They score 5 straight, keller answers with a nice hook shot. They call another timeout.
5:55
They are killing our backups on the glass, they have 5 offensive boards in this stretch and they've woken up on offense. The good news is that we're still scoring very well against them. Garcia had a great stretch there, he is killing his defender, penetrating and blowing by his man with ease. Starters are back in to finish the half.

HALF
They end the half fairly strong, they stop turning the ball over and start hitting some 3's. We're still scoring but we let them cut it down to 13. They shoot 14-32, 1-6 from 3. We're shooting 16-28 and 3-7 from 3. We're getting so many more high percentage shots. Their big men are carrying them, 9 for Buscher and 8 for Rios, their C and PF.

Murphy has come out of nowhere today, 4-4(2-2 from 3) and 2 free throws for 12 1st half points to lead all scorers. Lufkin with 10, and Garcia with 7. Both of them have done great in transition and have done well in half court when isolated on their men as well. Bright has 8 boards, while Watson has 4 steals. It seemed for awhile we were in the lead entirely b/c of turnovers but by halftime we have 6, they have 7. We need to keep this lead though. No changes to the lineups for 2nd half today.
15:55
Still 13, though they had a shot to cut it under 10 and we held on defense. We haven't been able to get out on the break at all yet this half and Murphy appears to have cooled. Timeout Saint Louis after Bright just scored on them.
14:55
They score the first 5 out of the break and our lead is now down to 8.
13:45
HUGE clutch 3 from Muprhy, taken with 1 second left on the shot clock since we couldn't find any other options. Then a steal and Lufkin is fouled going to the basket, just 1-2 from the line, but that feels like a big stretch.
13:00
Oops, I pass up a shot I should have taken with Bright and end up with another desperation 3 at the end of the shot clock for Murphy. This one is blocked and we get a violation. Backups are in.
9:30
They score to make it 10, then Grundy hits a free throw, Santiago a 3 and Santiago again on a layup in transition. This is over a 3 ½ minute stretch of course with some empty trips in between. Defense looks great though and we're now up 16 with under 10 to go.
7:35
They end our run at 10 straight, we're up 18 with 7 and a half to go.
Timeout to get the starters back in. The lead is 16. We are nearing “don't have to score again” territory, just play defense and burn clock. I'm not ready to do that at the expense of everything else, I'd like another couple baskets to feel safe. But if we don't turn it over we're going to have a hard time losing now.
4:10
Well this couldn't go any better. We run 30 seconds off the clock and draw fouls. They miss on their end. Pretty much done now.

We finish running out the clock and get a great road win.

Ohio 73
Saint Louis 51

Just a spectacular win for us. Sure Saint Louis is a young team with some falws, they had a real hard time with ball control at times, but this is one of the better wins I've had. Its the highest rated team I've beaten, home or road.

With the help of early foul trouble, we hold their PG scoreless. He only has 1 assist in 19 minutes. Their two big men score 12 and 11, while SG Hammond scores 13, but on 5-13 shooting. We outrebound them 31-24 as a team.

Murphy: 15 points/2 assists
Lamkin: 5 points/6 assists (0-5 from 3)
Lufkin: 17 points
Bright: 6 points/12 boards
Watson: 5 points/8 boards/4 steals

Santiago: 10 points

Murphy should have been our player of the game probably. 6 of Lufkin's 17 points were deep 3's as the shot clock expired in the final 2 minutes, just killing time and he happened to nail them. We shoot 7-20 today from 3. Santiago was 2-4. Slowing the pace a bit and not launching 3's with Santiago whenever he seemed open probably helped
Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #458
Radii
Head Coach

That was our last non-conference game. We're 9-2 going into conference play. Our first game is a good one too, home vs Ball State, they're 11-3, rated 80 OVR and are #6 in the mid-major poll. I'll play that and get the conference season going tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #459
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Huh neat. We unlock an achievement: "fan support" - Finish a season with at least 90% home attendance.

Congrats!! I think that is an awesome achievement, when I took over at Central Michigan their attendance was around 20%. I hated playing home games but after 3 years we were up to 94% and I felt proud.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #460
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Congrats!! I think that is an awesome achievement, when I took over at Central Michigan their attendance was around 20%. I hated playing home games but after 3 years we were up to 94% and I felt proud.

hah nice. I never really thought about it, but does your success and attendence(and stadium size perhaps?) have anything to do with how hard you are to beat at home, in any way other than 6th man stuff?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #461
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
hah nice. I never really thought about it, but does your success and attendence(and stadium size perhaps?) have anything to do with how hard you are to beat at home, in any way other than 6th man stuff?

You know, I'm not sure. I wish I knew, but I play with 6th man off.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #462
Radii
Head Coach

Ah ok, thanks. Why do you turn off 6th man? I love it, it seems to give a great feel for home games and I love how it occurs more often in tournament games, allowing you to use your key players longer, kind of simulating your stars "getting up" for the tournament and giving everything, etc.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #463
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks. Why do you turn off 6th man? I love it, it seems to give a great feel for home games and I love how it occurs more often in tournament games, allowing you to use your key players longer, kind of simulating your stars "getting up" for the tournament and giving everything, etc.

I don't know, I always played on MOP and felt it was overdone. Now I'm playing on AC so I might try it again for a few games and evaluate.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #464
Radii
Head Coach

January 2, 2016

Ball State (11-3) at Ohio (9-2)

Ball State is the 2nd highest rated team in the conference behind us, so this is a big matchup right at the start. I'm happy to be at home for this one. Its a bit of a revenge game for us as well, as we lost 2 out of 3 times we played them last season, including in the conference tournament.

Ball State is rated 80 OVR (80 off/80 def/83 sht/86 reb). They lost two key starters from last year's team, their starting PG and their starting Center. The Center they lost led the league in scoring and the two combined for about 27 ppg last year. They return some serious talent still.

Scouting

PG Femi Janiszewski – FR – 68 OVR – 88 speed/81 quickness. 84 defense. He's a poor handler and an average passer. 75 close/66 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble. He'll develop into an above average player for sure, espicially with his speed and defense, but for now, he's not there. 7.2 ppg/3.8 apg.

SG Gary Edelin – SR – 84 OVR – Edelin is the highest rated player in the league, though he's still listed as undrafted, seems he has no pro future. 88 speed/88 quickness, 84 defense, 88 steals(A-, very very good). 85 close/86 med/85 3. 85 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. His tendencies remain low which hurts him, he is up to 12.4 ppg this year so far.

SF Fab Minoff – JR – 78 OVR – 6'9” - 83 defense, quite good for a SF, a solid post defender. 86 close/82 med/65 3(thank goodness). 83 in traffic and a good dunker(82). Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B str, B- hustle. 9 ppg this year, he's getting more looks with Kapono gone it would seem.

PF Moises Massey – SR – 75 OVR – A 6'6” SF, so they are hurting for big man depth. 79 orb/69 drb, 75 post offense/73 post defense. 87 close/73 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble/81 in traffic. A potentially dangerous scorer if he drags our big men out onto the wing. But he's a godawful rebounder and that's going to hurt them a lot. 9.9 ppg/3.8 rpg.

C Herman Wheeler – SR – 72 OVR – 6'9”, a PF who would do a lot better with another big man at center. 79/84 on the boards(off/def). 78 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 78 close range shot/86 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. But, without Kapono, he's finding room for 10 points/game this year and 6.6 rebounds.

They have not done a good job replacing the depth they lost with two starters graduating. They have 7 guys rated 68+, only Wheeler is a true big man in that bunch. We need to drive and pound it inside to get them in foul trouble.

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
Interesting start. They go up 9-0 in the first 3 minutes, scoring on their first 4 possessions. We score 4, then they go up 14-4. We're now on a 10-0 run. Their PF Massey is hurting us, he has 7 already, 2 3's and a free throw I believe.

They play primarily a 3-2 defense and we opened trying to shoot 3's in the holes the zone leaves open, but started off cold. Since then Lufkin and Bright have done most of the work in getting us back tied. Backups are in.
10:15
Sanitago hits his 2nd straight 3 pointer and gives us a 3 point lead, getting us a 6th man boost and our biggest lead so far.
5:30
Well, our offense is awesome, and we play no defense. Starters are back in. Santiago is 4-6 form 3 and Mendoza added another one. But sadly we let them shoot lights out too. Massey and Minoff are destroying us.
4:05
3's by Murphy and Lufkin earn us another 6th man boost and the lead back.
1:45
They're ahead now in the who can shoot more 3's contest. Also, Bright just picked up foul #3. Grundy is in.
HALF
Fitting end to the half. We lead 47-46, they get a layin with 6 seconds left. We get the ball to Murphy who rushes up court and hits a 25 footer as time expires to get us to 50 and into the locker room with the lead. Just embarrassing defense by both sides. They shoot 18-33, 6-12 from 3, 6-8 from the line. Minoff has 12, backup PG McCarthy(81 3 point rating) has 10, Massey 9, Edeline 8.

We shoot 17-36, 8-15 from 3, 8-13 from the line. They lead on the boards 19-17. Lufkin ends up with 13, Santiago 12, Murphy 8. our big men are struggling. Their 3-2 zone allows us to catch the ball in the lane and attack the hoop, and we're laying up bricks off the front and side of the rim over and over. Grundy starts the 2nd half instead of Bright.
17:30
They score the first 7 of the half and are on a 12-3 run now to go up 7. Grundy has missed two layups, we've turned it over in the backcourt once and are starting off poorly again. I call a timeout.
Two more turnovers negate the fact that we score 3 solid inside buckets. They keep scoring too. I get the backups in. They have the ball with a chance to go up 10, need to get things going here. What we really need is to get some stops on defense. They're shooting lights out from everywhere.
11:40
They go up 72-69 and we get a 3 from mendoza and a drive by Garcia to get our own 5 point stretch, back down to 8. They call a timeout.
10:48
Two threes and two free throws and they score 8 straight in 50 seconds... this is frustrating. Timeout.
9:55
3 possessions, 3 shots from 3 feet away, 0 points. Fuck.
9:15
5 possessions, 4 shots from 3 feet, 1 open 3. 0 points. Also we're at 7 fouls now, they're shooting Fts the rest of the way.
We get a few stops and finally start to score. Mendoza hits a couple layins and Santiago a 3. We get it down to 7 and of course they drain an open 3 right after. Starters are back in now at a timeout at 6:45 left.
4:20
Murphy with a 3 after they'd pushed the lead up to 14. We just can't stop them AND score both... Santiago in for Lamkin who can't score today.
4:10
They get 1 free throw and we get another 3 by Muprhy to cut it down under 10.
2:50
Probably game over now. 9 point game, we miss a wide open 3 from Santiago that would have cut the lead to 6. They hit one on their end to make it 12.

Just no defense. We get hot from 3 in the final 2 and a half, but it doesn't matter. Minoff and Massey both take every open look the second they touch the ball and they just TORCH us today.

Ball State 110
Ohio 97

Yeah, they shoot 16-28 from 3. Dear god what the hell do you do about that? Edelin 20 (2-5 from 3), Minoff 29 (6-10 from 3), Massey 20 (4-4 from 3). They also outrebound us 32-27. How I don't know.

Murphy: 20 points/7 assists (6-10 from 3)
Lamkin: 4 points
Lufkin: 16 points
Bright: 4 points/8 boards
Watson: 9 points/7 boards

Grundy: 15 points
Santiago: 15 points(5-12 from 3)
Mendoza: 12 points

Not the start to the conference season we wanted.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #465
Radii
Head Coach

We stay 4th in the latest mid-major poll:

1. VCU
2. Nevada
3. Pepperdine
4. Ohio
5. Ball State

Akron #8, Kent State #12, Miami OH #22. The pretenders in the conference will quickly fall off here.

Next up we sim a road game at Northern Illinois:

Jan 9

Ohio 76
at N. Illinois 66

David Mendoza strains his back and will miss 12 days after this game. Looks like he'll miss 3 games. Lamkin scores 21, Lufkin 11 today.

And that was the only game for the week. Top 5 in the mid-major poll is the same. Akron is 9th, Kent State 18th, Miami OH 21st now.

Our next two are at home. Kent State and Central Michigan. We'll play the first.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #466
Radii
Head Coach

Our simmed win over N. Illinois is a mini-milestone for me, my 150th win. 150-106 lifetime coaching record.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #467
Radii
Head Coach

With Mendoza out I'm going to see how many minutes I can get out of Murphy. I'll let Santiago get more minutes at SG than usual and use Lamkin as a backup PG.

January 14, 2016

Kent State (9-6, 1-1 MAC) at Ohio (10-3, 1-1 MAC)

Kent State is the team that stunned us, beating us by 1 at home last year after we'd run off 8 straight conference games. No worries about that kind of upset this year. But we'd like to put some distance between that Ball State beating and our next loss for sure.

Kent State is rated 80 OVR after a bump(they were 79 at the start of the year). 80 off/81 def/84 sht/87 reb.

We've gained overall too, Ohio is now rated 84 OVR (84 off/82 def/87 sht/88 reb). Watson has a day to day injury which probably explains the lower rebound numbers? Also I had their SF, Montgomery, marked as a senior last year. He was a soph, typo by me. This means they return all 5 starters from a team that beat us.

Scouting

PG R. Parsons – JR – 71 OVR – 86 speed but only 79 quickness. Outstanding defender(88), not a steals guy so that's good. 78 close/75 med/72 3, not great but can't leave him open. 82 off the dribble. 8.8 ppg. Average ball handler/passer for a PG.

SG Theodore Holland – JR – 74 OVR – A 3 point shooting specialist, rated 86 from behind the arc. He doesn't look to do much else. 81 defense. 6.6 ppg.

SF :Logan Montgomery – JR – 81 OVR – 83 speed/83 quickness, good for a SF. 84 vertical/81 hustle, both exceptional. 78 defensive awareness, almost unheard of for this level. Good defense for a SF(82), 87 close/75 med/79 3, 79 off the dribble, 89 in traffic. 11 ppg.

PF Herman Bro – SR – 75 OVR – 6'9”, poor rebounder (77 o/73 d). Average on the blocks (76 post offense/75 post defense). 92 close range and 80 in traffic. 10.1 ppg this year.

C Roburt Maye – JR – 71 OVR – 7'1”, a good defensive rebounder(86) but terrible on the offensive glass(72). 69 post offense/77 post d. 86 close/84 in traffic. He's improved in close quite a bit, and with B- potential will continue to improve into a solid player. 12 ppg/6 rpg.

They go 8 deep with 3 backups rated 69/69/68. it gets thin after that.

Half
Time
OHIO
KSU
Notes
16:30
We start off on a 7-0 run today. Murphy has 2 3's. I go ahead and bring Santiago in for Lamkin.
14:30
3's from Lufkin and Santiago push our lead to 10, we're making the open shots so far today. Lamkin in for Murphy. I get the feeling I'm going to rotate those two frequently.
13:10
All the Kent State timeouts are helping with fatigue hah.
10:10
We're on fire, killing them. We've been rotating players individually today instead of all the backups at once.
6:00
They score 7 straight and make it 32-18 before we run off a few more here. I call a timeout to get a couple subs in. Current lineup is our starting 5 except Keller instead of Watson.

HALF
That's more like it. The offense we had against Ball State shows up again, and this game we decide to play some defense too. They shoot 11-28, 2-9 from 3. We're 9-17 from 3.

Their backup SG, Laws, has 8 points with both of their 3 pointers. We have 17 from Lufkin in a House-like performance, and 12 from Murphy as he has magically woken up from 3 lately(4-7). Santiago has 9.
15:00
I was hoping to get the lead up to 30 and finish this fast,but they're scoring a lot better this half. Murphy has 2 more 3's and is on fire. Santiago came in for Lamkin and missed 2 wide open 3's right away. Timeout Kent State down 22 here.
12:35
Timeout to get some subs in.

With 9 minutes left and a 23 point lead we sim to the end. They cut the lead down to 13 but we win easily.

Ohio 94
Kent State 81

Their star, Montgomery, gets 23. Maye, their center, with 12, couple backups in double figures as well.

Murphy: 23 points (6-9 from 3)
Lamkin: 9 poitns/4 assists
Lufkin: 21 points/5 assists
Bright: 8 points/9 boards
Watson: 3 points/4 boards/5 assists

Santiago: 19 points (5-12 from 3 again)
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #468
Radii
Head Coach

Jan 17

at Ohio 81
C Michigan 79

Too close for comfort there. Lamkin 13, Keller 12, Grundy and Watson 10 each. Murphy fouled out in 13 minutes of action. With Mendoza hurt that generates 22 minutes for Northcutt and Snowden combined. That would explain that.

For the week of the 18th we fall a spot in the mid-major polls despite 2 wins.

1. VCU (16-1)
2. Pepperdine (15-3)
3. Nevada (15-2)
4. Ball State (15-3)
5. Ohio (12-3)

Kent State #18, Akron #21, Buffalo #22.

Toledo and Ball State are 4-0 in conference play early on. Ohio and W. Michigan are both 3-1. Akron(#21 in that mid-major poll) is 0-4 and fading fast.

Two road games up next, I'll sim the first.

Jan 20

Ohio 100
at Bowling Green 58

Bowling Green is the lowest rated team in the league this year I believe. Keller with a career game, 27 points in 14 minutes off the bench. Lamkin 17, Lufkin 16. Bright with 8 and 11 boards.

Our next game is on the road at Toledo, now 5-0 in the league. We'll have Mendoza back. Lamkin and Santiago both have day to day injuries, just for this game, both healthy after this.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #469
Radii
Head Coach

January 23, 2016

Ohio (13-3, 4-1 MAC) at Toledo (8-7, 5-0 MAC)

Toledo is rated 77 OVR (79 off/77 def/81 sht/83 reb). We'd appear to have a substantial edge over them. This is the team last year that House scored 47 against, and this is essentially the same lineup, so we'll probably focus a fair bit on Lufkin and see if he can get anything close to the same kind of results.

Scouting

PG Phillip Scott – SR - 70 OVR – 76 defense, 83 close/84 med/70 3. Not a lot else to worry about. 7.5 ppg. Almost zero development since last year.

SG Carson Winter – JR – 69 OVR – 87 speed/83 quickness. 80 defense, 79 close/72 med/76 3. 76 off the dribble. 7.1 ppg.

SF Tim Krymski – SR – 79 OVR – 6'6”. Good speed for a SF (82 spd/83 qck). 78 defender, about average for a SF. 81 close/79 med/69 3, 84 in traffic, only 74 off the dribble. 11.3 ppg/6.5 rpg.

PF Levi Lloyd – JR – 74 OVR – 6'8” 72 orb/86 drb. 74 post offense/71 defense. A good shot blocker(77). 84 close/86 in traffic. B+ strength for a PF, 78... 8.8 ppg/4.5 rpg

C Clent Foust – JR – 72 OVR – 6'9”, a natural PF. 74 orb/81 drb, not good enough to compete with us. 81 post offense, which is solid. 69 post defense, which is terrible. 85 close/81 in traffic. 14.7 ppg, leads the team and is 4th or 5th in the league in scoring this year so far.

They have a backup SF rated 74 OVR, Carroll. The rest of the team is rated below 60. We should demolish them. They look like a very poor defensive team.

Half
Time
OHIO
TOL
Notes
15:05
So the offense, off to a good start. We had a 12-0 lead, then 15-2, now 18-5. 3's are falling again today, Murphy really seems to be in the zone lately.
12:30
Things slow a bit, but we still lead by 11 as the backups come in.
Mendoza with a 3 and then Grundy with a 3 point play, timeout Toledo.
16-2 run for the backups in a 3 minute stretch. Mendoza has 11 points, 3-4 from 3 and a layup. Grundy with 5.
4:30
I leave the backups in longer than usual since they're so hot. Mendoza has 17, 5-7 from 3 I believe, just on fire. Starters are in to finish off the half.

HALF
Hah, this is the exact same score we had over Kent State at halftime in our last played game. They are 13-31, 1-8 from 3. We are 10-24 from 3. These teams playing zone... when we're hot we're going to be launching them up there.

Mendoza with 17, 5-7 from 3. Lamkin has 8, Watson and Grundy both have 7, Murphy 6. So much for focusing on Lufkin today!

At the 16 minute mark its 66-36. I sim it from there.

Ohio 104
Toledo 66

Yeah, I think we're better than (formerly) 5-0 Toledo.

Murphy: 14 points/6 assists
Lamkin: 13 points
Lufkin: 17 points/6 assists
Bright: 10 points/9 boards/2 blocks
Swatson: 13 points/13 boards

Mendoza: 17 points
Grundy: 9 points/5 boards
Keller: 7 points

Santiago scored 1. 0-5 from 3.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:43 AM   #470
Radii
Head Coach

Nevada and VCU lose this week and shake the top 5 up a bit in the mid-major poll:

1. Pepperdine (17-3)
2. VCU (17-2)
3. Ball State (17-3)
4. Ohio (14-3)
5. Nevada (17-2)

Akron is #16, Kent State #19, Western michigan #24.

Pepperdine and VCU are both ranked in the media and coaches top 25s.

2 home games this week, first against 80 rated Miami, the second against 73 rated Buffalo(1-5 in the MAC). We'll play Miami.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #471
Radii
Head Coach

January 27, 2016

Miami OH (11-7, 3-3 MAC) at Ohio (14-3, 5-1 MAC)

Miami is rated 80 OVR (80 off/81 def/83 sht/84 reb). They've lost to Toledo, W. michigan and Northern Illinois. Their wins are over Akron, Buffalo and EMU, 3 of the lower rated teams in the league. That looks like a good sign for us but they are rated real highly. Their starting center is out for the game or else they'd be 81 or 82 OVR and a much tougher matchup.

This is the team with the 5* JC recruit that came in. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Scouting

PG Stan Victor – JR – 80 OVR – 85 speed/81 quickness. 82 defense/83 steals. 86 close/82 med/87 3. 75 off the dribble/83 in traffic. Poor ball handling and passing skills(78/68, both C's). Victor leads the team with 16.5 ppg and is shooting 45% from 3.

SG Brian Crandle – SR – 81 OVR – 90 speed/90 quickness, 85 defense, 80 steals. 85 close/77 med/74 3. 83 in traffic/75 off the dribble. Crandle is 6'7” and a good rebounder for a guard. He's only averaging 8.3 ppg so far this year and 3 assists.

SF Roosevelt Hess – SR – 73 OVR – 6'7” natural SF. 86 close/79 med/72 from 3, entirely an offensive threat. 78 off the dribble/85 in traffic, both decent but not great numbers.He's an awful defender(75) and is slow. 6.4 ppg.

PF Rashad Sharp – SO – 67 OVR – 6'9”. 74 org/77 drb. 75 post offense/61 post defense. Awful, awful post defender. 82 close/79 in traffic. A pretty weak link. 3.1 ppg.

C Jarrett McCleod – JR – 75 OVR – 6'9”, normally their PF, but the center is hurt today. 88 orb/78 drb . 81 shot blocker, 74 post D, good vertical, good strength and great hustle. 84 post offense/89 close/84 in traffic. 10.1 ppg/6.4 rpg.

They have a 7 foot backup center rated 71 OVR, not sure why they don't play him instead of sharp. They go 7 deep without their Center as far as decent quality players.
Half
Time
OHIO
MIA
Notes
17:45
Yeah... not making shots today so far. I call a timeout. I don't think they've missed anything yet.
Lufkin is fouled taking a 3 and gets us on the board finally.
14:05
After another free throw, Bright hits a bank shot and we get our first field goal. Not looking good so far.
Murphy with a 3, we're down 8 as our backups come in.
10:00
We get a couple field goals and get the lead down to 6, Miami with a timeout. They seem to have cooled a bit, and things have evened out.
5:10
Starters back in. They had Victor and Crandle on the bench so I was in no rush to call a timeout and let them back in. Their post starters are doing well on offense though and we weren't able to capitalize.
3:30
UGH. Their SF, Hess, has 15... killing us. He has their last 7 in a row.
18 for Hess. I call a timeout as I'm starting to feel like I can't win this game... and its not even halftime.

HALF
Yeah.... they shoot 65%, we shoot 38%. Hess is 8-8, 3-3 from 3, 1-2 at the line for 20 points. No one else has more than 6.

On our end, Santiago has 8, Lufkin has 8, and no one else has more than 4. Santiago is starting the 2nd half. We're rebounding well, 13-13 on the boards despite them not missing anything on their end.
17:50
Timeout. 7-0 run for Miami, down 21. I'm trying to get it inside and just getting shots blocked and turning it over like crazy.
17:25
Murphy has 3 shooting fouls this half already. This most recent one is the first that wasn't a 3 point play.
17:10
We score. Lufkin with a dunk.
16:15
Murphy with his 4th foul in 3:45. Mendoza is in.
12:25
Well we have gone on quite a run, it was 62-47 for a 14-4 run, 14-6 now. Backups are in now though, Lufkin and Santiago had taken over for these points, someone on the bench needs to step up now.
9:05
Down to 14 as we're on a 5-0 run now, we call a timeout to get Murphy back in and hope he doesn't foul out at least until Mendoza gets some rest.
7:15
Starters back in hoping for a miracle finish to the game.
4:25
With 6 minutes left Murphy misses a wide open 3 that would have cut the lead to 10. They push it back to 16 and 2 minutes later we're down 14 and time is fast running out.

They go up 18 and I dont want to even run the clock out, quick sim.

Miami OH 85
Ohio 77

Hess only scores 4 in the second half to finish with 24. But Victor gets 12 and Crandle 14, the rest of their team started picking up.

Murphy: 4 points (1-9 from 3)
Lamkin: 2 poitns (0-6 from the field)
Lufkin: 15 points (3-11 from the field, 0-4 from 3... 9/11 from the line)
Bright: 6 points/5 boards
Watson: 4 points/7 boards (2-7 from the field)

Santiago: 17 points
Keller: 7 points

So a disturbing pattern is forming where we crush teams worse than us but the ones that can compete are beating us fairly soundly at our house. This does not bode well at all. We need to figure out how to beat these teams before the conference tournament or we're going to be heading back to the NIT again.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #472
Radii
Head Coach

Buffalo is one of the worst teams in the league so this result is no surprise.

Jan 30

at Ohio 106
Buffalo 70

Lufkin 22, Grundy 15, Bright 14, Lamkin 14.

Mid major poll:

1. Pepperdine
2. Ball State
3. Nevada
4. VCU
5. Ohio

Kent State 18, Akron 21, Miami OH 22, W. Michigan 23.

We're at the halfway point of the MAC season:

1. Toledo 7-1
2. Ball State 7-1
3. Ohio 6-2
4. W. Michigan 5-3
5. Miami OH 5-3
6. E. michigan 5-3
7. Kent State 4-4
8. Bowling Green 3-5
9. akron 2-6
10. C. Michigain 2-6
11. Buffalo 1-7
12. N. Illinois 1-7

Ball State just lost to Western michigan. Their next two are against Miami OH and Toledo so things will shake up a bit next week.

I sim our next game:

Feb 3

Ohio 97
at E. michigan 71

Lufkin 20, Santiago 17, Lamkin 19, Watson 14.

Our next game is against Western Michigan. They're only 1 game behind us for 3rd in the MAC. A win here would give us some separation from the teams below while we chase Toledo and Ball State.

We have a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way. We don't play Miami OH or Toledo again. We play Ball State in a couple weeks though. That'll be a key game for us, as Ball State and Ohio appear to be the only two teams with any chance for at large NCAA bids.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #473
Radii
Head Coach

February 6, 2016

Ohio (16-4, 7-2 MAC) at Western Michigan (14-7, 6-3 MAC)

WMU is rated 76 OVR and we should have a big edge over them in theory. 76 off/74 def/76 sht/80 reb. They have an RPI in the 80s so if they can stay in that top 100 this would be a nice win to get, espicially on the road. I don't think we've played these guys in a couple seasons now(played a game out instead of simming that is), as I don't recognize a single name.

WMU is the only team to beat Ball State in league play this year so far, but they have losses to Akron and Central Michigan, neither great teams.

Scouting

PG Filip Nance – SR – 73 OVR – 91 speed/81 quickness, 87 defense(outstanding), 80 steals(also outstanding). 78 close/74 med/69 from 3, 87 off the dribble, if he's hot he can create his own shot with ease it appears. Above average, but not great, ball handling and passing. 12 ppg so far this year.

SG Demetrieus Mayer – SO – 73 OVR - 84 speed/78 quickness, not that good really, D quickness. 83 defense/77 steals, not bad at all. 88 close/73 med/83 3, 72 off the dribble/72 in traffic. The opposite of Nance, looks like a great shooter but needs to spot up and catch and shoot to be worthwhile. 10.1 ppg.

SF Turner Hunter – JR – 67 OVR – 6'6”, 77 speed/77 quickness, average. 67 defense, absolutely horrible. So bad i'd assume he was a converted PF, but he isn't, he's a natural SF. 87 close/72 med/66 3. 83 in traffic/71 off the dribble. 4.2 ppg.

PF Edwin Christy – JR – 68 OVR – 6'10” so they have some size. 76 orb/76 drb. 76 post off/78 post def. 82 close/81 in traffic. 79 str, very strong. Just 4.6 ppg.

C Cornelio Bernard – JR – 70 OVR – 6'11” 77 orb/82 drb, 79 post off/75 post def. Not much of a shot blocker. Strong, 75 str (B+). 83 close/84 in traffic, which is about average. 6.5 ppg/4.6 rpg this year.

They go 7 deep with guys rated 65+, but Mayer, Nance and Bernard are the only 3 rated over 70. We should have a serious talent edge over them. We also have a 62-47 team unity edge.
Half
Time
OHIO
WMU
Notes
13:00
We're not playing well, not executing well on offense yet we only trail by 2. Backups are in. They're running a 3-2 defense and we're getting a couple solid attacks inside, and missing lots of open 3's.
8:45
We fall down 17-10 before getting going. Garcia is getting pretty good in traffic and has 7 points now. Keller with the other 4 inside. Mayer has 10 for them, he's hurting us bad.
Keller with 7 now as well after a 3 point play. Starters are back in to finish the half off. Watson has two fouls, I'll have to sub him out if he gets a 3rd.
4:50
Watson gets a couple free throws and we have our first lead since 3-0(we opened with a 3 then they scored 7 straight).
3:45
We score 4 more and are on an 8-0 run. Timeout WMU.

HALF
Lamkin can't get a 3 at the buzzer to fall but we finish strong and take a 6 point lead into the locker room. Mayer leads them with 10, C Bernard has 8, SF Hunter/PF Christy have 6 each. Lots of misses today, we have a 22-21 rebound edge. They're shooting 45%, we're at 38% or so. But we have a massive edge at the line. They've committed 10 fouls, almost all shooting. We are 14-17 from the line. We commit 7 fouls but mostly stupid reach ins. They are just 3-5 at the line.

Bright leads us with 10 points/7 boards, a nice change of pace for him. Garcia and Keller have 7 each, Watson 6. Lufkin is scoreless, very rare for him.

Watson picked up foul #3 with 30 seconds left in the half. Grundy is in at center.
18:00
Quick 7 for WMU to open the 2nd half, we're trailing again. Ugh.
Game of runs... we go up 50-44 after their opening run. Then they go up 54-52. We go up 58-54 and Mayer hits a 3. I call a timeout, gotta get the backups in now. Mendoza and Watson were already in, rest are coming in now. Watson is playing with the backups for now with his 3 fouls.
We keep the lead between 1 and 4 consistently. Bright and Lamkin come back in. Murphy, Lufkin and Grundy still tired. A couple defensive stops and we could really get going here, the offense is working well. I think at the end of this game we'll see the most efficient our big men have been in a long time.
4:40
Starters are back in(Grundy at center). They have the ball and can re-take the lead for the first time since the 13 minute mark or so.
3:50
We get a stop but turn it over in transition, and they hit a 3 on their next trip. Timeout to hush the 6th man, and our guys aren't fully rested, I need to use my timeouts.
3:40
Murphy turns it over 1 on 1 around midcourt, and they get a layup. It refreshes their 6th man fully and I burn another timeout. Now we only have 1 left.
3:25
Grundy hard to the hoop from the middle of their 3-2 zone, fouling out Bernard. He only makes 1-2 from the line.
2:42
Bright with a foul inside, they only make 1 of 2, and Lamkin is out in transition on the rebound, he scores. They call a timeout, 2 point game.
1:50
We get two stops, they get one. Bright draws a foul on our next possession, going to the line for 2. Makes them both to tie it up. They call a timeout. I get Watson in for Grundy, Grundy has been strong but Watson is so much more fundamentally sound, I want him out there, and Bright is having a quality game.
1:30
We leave Nance wide open for three, it bounces on the rim and falls in.
1:15
Not sure what happened down low but someone fell over, I get it to bright who draws the D, hits Watson and he scores a layup. 1 point game.
0:47
Watson with great defense, forcing a miss in the post. Bright rebounds, outlets to Lufkin who beats his man for a thunderous dunk! We're up 1, their ball but we're assured to get it back if they score. DEFENSE!!
0:43
We force a turnover on a bad pass as they work to get it up court against our press!!!
0:06.2
We hold the ball, find Watson in the middle of the defense with about 2 left on the shot clock, and he hits a little left handed runner. I didn't expect a score in traffic, I just wanted a mess of bodies inside making it hard for them to get out and get a shot. I'll take this!

I decide to foul instead of letting them take a 3. Its our 7th foul, they make the first, miss the second and Bright secures the game with a rebound. They foul but its only their 6th foul of the half. I get it inbounds and run out the clock before they can wrap me up.

Ohio 81
Western Michigan 79

Its hard to win on the road. Mayer scores 18 for them. Nance is scoreless at halftime but ends with 12. Hunters and Bernard with 10 each. They played hard and we struggled to shoot well against them, going 3-17 from 3. But we got to the line 27 times(they ended up going 16 times, so it evened a little in the 2nd half), and were strong inside. We also end up with a 38-33 rebounding edge.

Murphy: 4 points/4 assists
Lamkin: 10 points
Lufkin: 10 points
Bright: 12 points/14 boards
Watson: 14 points/8 boards

Keller: 12 points
Garcia: 9 points
Grundy: 7 points/6 boards

Bright, Watson and Keller all in double figures, Grundy with 7 is great for me with how much I struggle scoring inside at times. Watson has a 92 close/93 traffic rating, he ought to score more, but he seems to struggle a ton against shot blockers. His post offense rating is low too which seems to play out with a lot of missed hooks and such when he backs his man down.

Anyway, key win for us, as W. Michigan was 1 game behind us, a loss would have put us 2 games out of first and tied for 3rd. Instead(we're still 3rd) we're just 1 game behind Ball State and Toledo and build a 2 game cushion over 4th.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #474
Radii
Head Coach

Well, the big news is that for the first time in my career at Ohio, a MAC team is in the top 25. The bad news is that it is Ball State instead of us. Ball State enters the media poll 23rd in the nation. Mid Major Poll:

1. Pepperdine (19-4)
2. Ball State (20-4)
3. Ohio (17-4)
4. Nevada (19-3)
5. Coppin State (21-2) <-- yup, from the MEAC, my old conference. Impressive job for a small conference team.

Miami OH is 20th, W. Michigan 21st, Kent State 24th.

Ball State is 2-2 vs the top 50 - We are 0-2
Ball STate is 3-1 vs 51-100 - We are 4-1

Ball State's RPI is 21st. Ours is 41st.

Our next two are vs Akron and at Central Michigan. both should be easy wins. I'll sim the home game and play the road game.

Feb 9

at Ohio 74
Akron 73

JR Keller is hurt and will miss 14 days of action. Ugh! We can probably manage with Watson, Bright and Grundy, but they can be foul prone which is my biggest worry.

The win takes us to 18-4, 9-2 in the MAC. Next we travel to a poor Central Michigan team. Assuming we can win there, the next game after that will be on the road at top 25 Ball State. Hah! Well, that game will be for first. And Ball State won't be in the top 25 when we play. They just lost to Eastern Michigan. Anyway, gotta take care of business first.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #475
Radii
Head Coach

February13, 2016

Ohio (18-4, 9-2 MAC) at Central Michigan (9-13, 2-8 MAC)

Central Mishigan is rated 75 OVR (77 off/75 def/78 sht/83 reb). Their coach is rated 79, same as me. Most MAC coaches are rated higher.

Scouting

I'm not going to bother with a full list here. They have 5 players rated over 70. Four of them are PF or C. They have a SF that is rated 71 from 3. No one else on the team is rated over 60 OVR, and no one else on their team is rated over 60 OVR,not a single PG/SG. We're actually going with a 2-3 zone today.

I'm going to have to balance my desire to run and build a 30 point lead and sim this ASAP with my need to stay out of foul trouble inside. I might slow this one down some.

Half
Time
OHIO
CMU
Notes
13:35
They have 7 from their versatile SF. Everything else comes inside. Neither team has had any success drawing fouls on the other despite going inside a ton. I'm trying to bounce Bright/Grundy/Watson to keep them all fresh.
5:15
They keep it close until Dodd, their SF has to sit. With him out their only scoring options are 5 feet from the basket and we can get out on the run a lot more. Our starting backcourt is back in, still rotating the bigs.

HALF
We go up 44-26, then Dodd comes back in, and they score 10 straight. Dodd has 16,their PG has 3 and everything else is in the post. They got a few 2nd chance points against our backups, Garcia down low is a liability, boards to his side go to the opponent most of the time.

Murphy, Watson and Lufkin all have 7. No one else has more than 4, pretty balanced scoring for us. We have a bit 26-19 edge on the boards but they have 5 steals and have forced 6 more turnovers than we have.
14:55
God I hate the 2-3 zone in this game. They have one guy that can score outside the paint and 2-3 is still worthless. Fuck this, man to man.
12:20
We immediately extend the lead from 1 to 7 after switching to man. Seriously this is dumb. Backups are in.
6:25
So while chatting with my sister who just got home from work, they go on a 12-0 run and take a 71-66 lead, we've got it back to 2. Really I feel like loading my team up with guards rated 50 and just telling them to cut to the basket every play because apparently that's unstoppable. Starters are back in. We're at 9 fouls this half.
5:00
In addition to the great game we're playing, Lamkin just went down hurt. Santiago in the rest of the way.
3:40
Timeout WMU. Their ball, still a 2 point game, we each failed to score about 4 times in a row and then we each scored once.
We foul out their center. Lufkin misses the 2nd free throw or we could have tied it. Timeout WMU, we're still trailing, I have no clue how.
1:20
We get a stop on defense, Bright draws a foul inside, only their 5th of the half, but its a shooting foul and he makes them both. We're up to 12 or 13 fouls now I think.

We get a stop and another bucket, a steal and another bucket and its pretty much done at that point. They get a 3 in the last 10 seconds to make it a 3 poitn game.

Ohio 86
Central Michigan 83

Their talented SF, Dodd, scores 26. Their best big man scores 21.

Murphy: 11 points
Lamkin: 9 points
Lufkin: 14 points/6 boards
Bright: 11 points/7 boards
Watson: 9 points/9 boards/4 assists

Garcia: 11 points
Grundy: 7 points/15 boards

Kinda embarrassing here, I didn't even properly scout them, just glanced at their roster and assumed we'd waltz to victory. I didn't realize it was possible to “look ahead to the next game” in a video game, but yeah, that's what this is. I assumed a roster with 4 big men rated 70+, 1 SF rated 73 OVR, and everyone else on the court rated 59 and below, that we'd sleepwalk to victory. And if I'd played my normal game we probably would have. Oh well, we escape with the win, lesson learned.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #476
Radii
Head Coach

Lamkin's injury in the final 10 minutes vs Central Michigan was a small one, he's day to day and ready in time for Ball State. Keller will still be out though.

Mid Major Poll:

1. Pepperdine (21-4)
2. Nevada (21-3)
3. Ohio (19-4)
4. Ball State (20-6)
5. VCU (20-5)

Kent State #20, W. Michigan #22, Miami OH #25

Ball State loses to Northern Illinois and has dropped 2 in a row coming up to the game with us.

Bracketology opens for the first time. Our RPI jumps to #35, and we are somehow projected as a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Ball State is projected as a 9 seed. Their RPI is still 33rd despite the 2 losses in a row.

And, as we learned so well last year, we cannot afford to slip up down the stretch. If we go into the conference tournament 22-4, make it to the finals and lose, we're 24-5 and we're probably in. If we lose a couple conference games down the stretch and go in with 6 losses, then we probably have to win the conference tournament.

We don't have a win over a top 50 team, still 0-2(Ball State and Arizona State). 5-1 vs 50-100 helps, but beating Ball State here and earning a top 50 win would be *really* nice.

I'll play the big game tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #477
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good luck against Testicle Tech.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #478
Radii
Head Coach

February 13, 2016

Ohio (19-4, 10-2 MAC) at Ball State (20-6, 9-3 MAC)

Rematch. Ball State sits at 81 OVR (80 off/81 def/83 sht/86 reb). Their starting 5 from earlier this year is all active and everyone on their team has gained a point in development. They've lost two in a row, both on the road, but it cost them a top 25 spot and they've lost a little of their luster going into this matchup. Still, Ball State and Ohio are the only two teams with any hope of an at large bid out of the MAC, making this a critical game. More critical for me I believe since they already have a quality win over us.

Their SF, Minoff, has a hip injury and is day to day, he'll play though. We're missing Keller which hurts us for rotation purposes but we can live with in general.

Scouting

PG Femi Janiszewski – FR – 69 OVR – 88 speed/81 quickness. 84 defense. He's a poor handler and an average passer. 75 close/66 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble. He'll develop into an above average player for sure, espicially with his speed and defense, but for now, he's not there. 7.4 ppg/3.5 apg.

SG Gary Edelin – SR – 85 OVR – Edelin is the highest rated player in the league, though he's still listed as undrafted, seems he has no pro future. 89 speed/88 quickness, 84 defense, 88 steals(A-, very very good). 85 close/86 med/85 3. 85 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. His tendencies remain low which hurts him, he is up to 13.3 ppg this year so far.

SF Fab Minoff – JR – 79 OVR – 6'9” - 83 defense, quite good for a SF, a solid post defender. 86 close/82 med/65 3(thank goodness). 84 in traffic and a good dunker(83). Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B str, B- hustle. 8.7 ppg/4.8 rpg.

PF Moises Massey – SR – 76 OVR – A 6'6” SF, so they are hurting for big man depth. 79 orb/69 drb, 75 post offense/73 post defense. 87 close/73 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble/81 in traffic. A potentially dangerous scorer if he drags our big men out onto the wing. But he's a godawful rebounder and that's going to hurt them a lot. 9.7 ppg/3.8 rpg.

C Herman Wheeler – SR – 73 OVR – 6'9”, a PF who would do a lot better with another big man at center. 79/84 on the boards(off/def). 78 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 78 close range shot/86 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. 8.8 ppg/6.4 rpg

Last time we played, they killed us with Edelin, Minoff, and Massey, all three of them scoring 20+. Massey got out for 3's too often. Minoff just killed Lufkin from everywhere. There isn't a whole lot I can do to change things up, but I'm trying a couple things. Murphy is going to guard Edelin. He's too small to go after Minoff I think, but Murphy is my best defender and he will stick to their best shooter.

Also I'm turning off all auto-doubleteams. I like doubling guys in the post most of the time but it seems like we gave up way too many open 3's due to our guys doubling down, getting out of position and leaving 3 point shooters wide open on ball rotations.

They shot 16-28 from 3 last time. My goal is to not let that happen again :P

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
14:30
Now this is how I expect my offense to execute vs a 3-2 zone. There are GIANT holes in the middle, so I want to feed my big men and have them go up strong towards the basket. And so far today, its working. Watson has 10 of our 12 points. Bright is off to a poor start with a couple ugly misses. We have 1 steal and a couple blocked shots on the other end, and no turnovers or huge lapses leading to open shots. Grundy in for Bright to get the big man rotation going.
4 straight inside for Ball Stateto tie it up. Backups are in for me. I call a timeout to rest the bigs a bit, and get Bright in for Watson.
12:10
We get a steal and a dunk in transition, Ball State calls a timeout. That helps quite a bit with the big man fatigue(which I think is going to be a major issue).
10:30
Inspired defense inside, Grundy with two blocked shots triggering two fast break baskets by Santiago. We have 5 blocks and no fouls by our big men yet, this could become a major story. Hell, 5 in a game is not bad and we're only 10 minutes in!
8:05
Bright has not been very good on offense today but he gets some credit for drawing the 2nd foul on Wheeler, which should help our ability to score inside.
6:15
They had it back to 2, Santiago makes our first 3 pointer of the game. He's got 7 with the transition buckets as well. Starters are back in. Ball State takes another time out, leaving me with all of mine for the 2nd half to manage the big man fatigue/rotation. Which reminds me, Watson is back in and back on the rampage, 13 points for him now.
3:25
11-2 run, they've scored on 5 straight possessions, 4 layups and a 3... ugh. We all of a sudden struggle to get clean looks at the basket, Watson misses a close one, Lufkin and Bright both get picked. Just ugh. Timeout Ohio.

HALF
They get hot from 3 at the end of the half. They're 4-8 from 3, their last 9 points of the half came on 3 of those 3 pointers. They're shooting 17-30 overall, nicely over 50%. They're outrebounding us 13-10. We have 4 steals and 5 blocks which is the main reason its close.

Edelin has 14. Backup SG Hoyer has 7. Minoff and Massey have been well contained so far. On our end, Watson has 15. 5-6 from the field, 5-5 from the line. 1 foul, a charge. Santiago has 7. No other starter has more than 2 points. Grundy has 4.

We just have to find a way to keep them down around or under 50% shooting.
19:22
Massey hits a 3, we turn it over and they get a layup. Great. I call a timeout. Santiago comes in for Lamkin. If we don't have it going inside I want the 3 point shot there.
18:38
I mentioned that Massey had been well contained... he had 4 at halftime. He's got 10 now, 3 point play on Watson's second foul.
18:09
I call another timeout, this is getting out of hand. Grundy has missed two of those little 3 footers now. Totally out of hand.
16:45
I pull Grundy. He misses another easy shot. Ball State, FWIW, hasn't missed this half yet.
Backups are in. With all the timeouts they could easily go an extra minute. If we're going to win this game its going to happen behind the 3 point line, which I think means we cannot win this game. Watson is no longer making shots in low, and Grundy and Bright never have been. They are 8/11 this half btw. Up over 60% for the game.
Its all we can do to stay this close. We just drew foul #3 on wheeler which is nice but too late. Watson is back in. They just don't miss. And when they do, they either get te offensive board, or get a steal and a layup. They certainly don't let us score more than once in between their scores.
7:11
Hah, after that bitching we get 6 straight and cut the lead down to 11, 68-57 and look to be possibly making a little run. Then they hit a 3, steal a pass in the backcourt and get a dunk. Back to 16 right away. I get Watson a basket to get it back to 14 and they call a timeout.
7:00
Starters are back in. We have 6 fouls this half so far, they're shoting the rest of the way.
5:05
We get the ball twice down 14 and a chance to cut it closer. Santiago with just massive fuckups both times. We can't win this game, its impossible.
4:12
Damned if Lufkin isn't going to try though. A 3 and a dunk in transition and this is the first time we've had it at 10 since they went up 11 about 40 seconds into the second half.
2:15
They go back up 84-70, a quick 6-1 run gets the lead down to 9, there isnt a lot of time left but there's enough for a perfect storm and a victory if we can get a turnover somewhere.
1:55
Well, that was literally the first break to go our way the entire 2nd half. Edelin making a move on Murphy but he can't get around him and doesn't pass it and ends up with a 5 second closely guarded call. Here's our shot.
1:41
They come out in a 2-3 zone this time down and we run a play that rotates the ball around the arc, Murphy fires an open 3 and makes it. Down 6.
1:10
They score on their end, they're not just going to let us back in it... but we manage an open 3 from Lufkin to make it a 5 point game.
0:50
Game over most likely. They work it inside out and Edelin hits a 3.

We hit one more 3 but they are big time clutch at the FT line and after 1 miss we are too far gone.

Ball State 98
Ohio 88

Despite my bitching above about how the AI was just not going to let us win, there are legitimate factors at work here. We match up terribly against these guys. We have poor on ball defense compared to last year. Murphy is our only legitimate on ball defender. We have two great rebounders but they aren't great scorers. We have all the slkills inside but they're split between 4 guys. And it was on the road. Ball State has 92% attendence this year and I don't know how that impacts the game but I am now 100% convinced that it does impact the game.

I was talking with someone today about how this team doesn't have a legit go to guy and how that is one of the big problems with this team against quality opposition. But I also feel that defense is really hurting me. Against good teams we just are not often getting stretches where we stop the other team for even 2 or 3 minutes at a time. We have no spurts in us against good teams because we simply have too many defensive holes.

Edelin scored 28. Massey 13, Wheeler 10. Janiszewski, their worst starter, scored 17. Murphy was on him last game and nullified him completely. Today, we learn that murphy can't stop Edelin, he's getting his points regardless. But with Murphy trying to stop Edelin, their other backcourt option got to run wild over our poorer defenders. If we get them again in the MAC Tournament I'll definitely have to remember that.

Murphy: 7 points/8 assists
Lamkin: 2 points
Lufkin: 14 points
Bright: 12 points/4 boards
Watson: 19 points/6 boards

Santiago: 21 points
Grundy: 6 points/7 boards

Santiago was 4-7 from 3 and 8-14 overall, he did a great job getting to the rim today. Bright did better than it felt during the game, 4-8 and a number of free throws. He missed a couple little clunkers that were embarrassing. Grundy was a real weak link. 3-10 inside.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #479
Radii
Head Coach

Feb 27

at Ohio 81
N. Illinois 74

Lufkin 15, Murphy and Lamkin 14, Mendoza 10.

This takes us to the opening week in march, the last week of the regular season. We travel to Kent State, a team we beat pretty handily earlier in the season, and then host Bowling Green,a team we demolished in a simmed game. I'll play Kent State.

Mid Major Poll:

1. Pepperdine (25-4)
2. Ball State (22-6)
3. Ohio (20-5)
4. Nevada (23-4)
5. New Mexico Sate (20-6)

Toledo #21, Akron #25.

Ball State's RPI is up to #21. They are back in the media top 25. Our RPI is 32nd.

The latest bracketology has Ball State as a 7 seed, and Ohio as a 7 seed. Both of us are considered safe, not on the bubble.

The top of the conference standings:

1. Ohio 11-3
2. Ball State 11-3
3. Toledo 11-3
4. E. Michigan 8-6

3 way tie for first. Somehow we're awarded the tiebreaker right now. Overall winning % might be it? 20-5 for us(80%), 22-6 for Ball State (78.5%), 14-10 for Toledo (58.3%).

Whatever happens, it is critical that Toledo does'nt earn the 1 seed. I don't care if I'm #2. But if Ohio is #2 and Ball State #3, we're in trouble. If we're going to have to play them again, I want it to be in the finals.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #480
gi
College Prospect

Will this cause you to recruit players that have better defensive skill sets or change tactics?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #481
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
Will this cause you to recruit players that have better defensive skill sets or change tactics?

If we get ball state again in the tournament I'm probably going to try to slow the game down, if we try to go full speed against them I think its pretty clear that they are the one that is likely to find a big run somewhere in the middle of the contest.

As far as recruiting goes, my primary targets are generally still based on * rating and rank. If a highly rated recruit ends up a poor defensive player he's probably a big enough offensive stud to make up for it. Once I get around to the mid level 3* backup targets, if I have the points available to do so I do plan on paying closer attention to defense for sure.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #482
Radii
Head Coach

March 1, 2016

Ohio (20-5, 11-3 MAC) at Kent State (14-13, 6-8 MAC)

77 OVR for Kent State (78 off/79 def/82 sht/85 reb). Their best player, Logan Montgomery, is out for another 2 weeks with a broken Wrist. They aren't the same without him. This is the second time we've played Kent State with him not in the lineup. Two years ago he only played 8 games due to injury. Last year he looks to have missed 2 or 3 games as well.

Scouting

PG R. Parsons – JR – 71 OVR – 86 speed but only 79 quickness. Outstanding defender(88), not a steals guy so that's good. 78 close/75 med/72 3, not great but can't leave him open. 82 off the dribble. 8.8 ppg. Average ball handler/passer for a PG.

SG Theodore Holland – JR – 74 OVR – A 3 point shooting specialist, rated 86 from behind the arc. He doesn't look to do much else. 81 defense. 6.6 ppg.

SF Damond Hooper – FR – 69 OVR – 78 speed/72 quickness. 79 defense, a solid C+ for a SF. 83 close/68 med/62 3, 81 in traffic, he looks to only be a danger if he can get in close. But he doesn't seem to have the physical skills to really be a threat. 4.5 ppg. Not a bad freshman but not ready to take over for a guy like Montgomery

PF Herman Bro – SR – 75 OVR – 6'9”, poor rebounder (77 o/73 d). Average on the blocks (76 post offense/75 post defense). 92 close range and 80 in traffic. 10.1 ppg this year.

C Roburt Maye – JR – 71 OVR – 7'1”, a good defensive rebounder(86) but terrible on the offensive glass(72). 69 post offense/77 post d. 86 close/84 in traffic. He's improved in close quite a bit, and with B- potential will continue to improve into a solid player. 12 ppg/6 rpg.

Without Montgomery we look to have an easy road here. He scored 23 against us in our first meeting and we still won by 13.
Half
Time
OHIO
KSU
Notes
16:00
They open up 7-1 and we aren't looking good at all out of the gates. 2 turnovers leading to layups, an open 3 for Parsons... time to wake up guys.
Backups are in. Lamkin has 9 of our 12 so far.
8:45
We keep it at 3 til its 20-17, and then they go on a 5-0 run. We get a free throw from Keller(his first points back from injury), and we get foul #2 on Maye, their big Center.
Unable to score at all, I call a timeout when we fall down 11. Can't lose this game guys!!! Starters are back in except Bright, who managed to pick up 3 fouls in the first 7 minutes.
Defense again, arrrgh. Not scoring consistently at all either. I call a timeout, trying to get something going, anything here.

HALF
They make it 17 but we get the last 4 to go into the locker room only down 13. They shoot 55% in the first half, we shoot 33%. Disgraceful.. As a result they have a massive 20-12 edge on the boards. Parsons has 9 for them, Bro 7, backup SG Laws 7.

Lamkin has 12 and has been our only reliable scorer. Santiago and Keller with 5 each. Lufkin can beat his man and I need to get him way more involved in the 2nd half. Murphy has been awful, 1-6, 2 shots in traffic and 2 3's just horribly off.
16:20
We draw foul #3 on Maye, none too soon. He has 5 for them as their offense continues to appear unstoppable. Lamkin already has 6 for us while Lufkin is ineffective when he gets the ball.
And a quick 4 more gets our lead back down to 10, all transition for us these last few trips, things turn in our favor a bit with Maye gone if we can play defense.
13:40
Backups are in. If lufkin could make a free throw we'd only be down 3 or 4 now,but as it is, we're on a 8-0 run(was 52-37 at the worst) and have the ball. Bright is in now, Keller was in his place b/c of the foul trouble.
And this is what I was referring to last game. Against better teams we're never getting these runs where we hold an opponent scoreless 3 or 4 trips in a row (or more). Here we've got a solid 4+ minute streak going where Kent State hasn't scored. They just called a timeout.
Mendoza with a tough shot in traffic to give us a 2 point lead, our first in quite some time! 17-0 run now.
They're up 1 now, and Maye just came back into the game.
7:25
Parsons has taken over for them, he has 7 of their last 9 points. His most recent bucket triggers a 6th man boost, and I call a timeout.
I call another timeout to get my starters back into the game. Santiago blew two straight transition shots in a row.
4:20
Lufkin draws a foul on our first play after the timeout. He misses both free throws. After a long rebound Lufkin is out on the break and he is challenged and blows a short shot. After a turnover Lamkin drives to the hoop and is blocked. URGH!!!
2:20
They score to go up 10... Lamkin beats his man in the half court set and is blocked inside. They score to go up 12, Lamkin misses a wide open 3 pointer. They score to go up 15. We finally get a bucket... holy shit! We're attacking the basket hard but just not drawing any fouls at all.

We score to make it 74-63. They get a bucket and a foul for a 3 point play chance. They miss the FT, get the rebound, get another bucket and a foul. 5 point play. Game over. I sit on the ball to get this over with.

Kent State 81
Ohio 63

We find another way to kill our chances at an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Dreadful.

We really shouldn't lose to these guys with Montgomery out. Road games in conference play, eh? Key loss though. We just choked. This is looking a lot like last season, isn't it? We need to buckle down for the conference tourney.

Parsons torched us for 21, Maye for 12 in only 16 minutes. Holland had 11, we did a decent job on him.

Murphy: 6 points
Lamkin: 20 points
Lufkin: 9 points/5 boards/4 assists
Bright: 0 points/4 boards
Watson: 4 points/7 boards

Santiago: 9 points

They spent most of the game in a 2-3 zone. We did very very poorly against it. We shot 23-60 from the field. 3-18 from 3. Ouch. Time to rebound and win this damn tournament though.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #483
Radii
Head Coach

Final regular season game is against a very bad Bowling Green team.

March 6

at Ohio 83
Bowling Green 74

Lamkin with 18, Bright 17.

final mid major poll going into the postseason:

1. Pepperdine (25-5)
2. Ball State (23-7)
3. New MExico State (22-6)
4. Ohio (21-6)
5. Nevada (24-4)

Akron moved way up to 15th, they must have beaten Ball State. Toledo 21st.

Final MAC Standings

1. Ohio 12-4
2. Ball State 12-4
3. Toledo 12-4
4. E. Michigan 9-7
5. Miami OH 8-8
6. N. Illinois 8-8
7. Akron 7-9
8. W. Michigan 7-9
9. Kent State 7-9
10. Bowling Green 7-9
11. C. Michigan 4-12
12. Buffalo 3-13

We get our wish, not having to play Ball State til the finals. The tiebreaker does appear to be overall winning %, based on the 12-4 tiebreakers and the 7-9 ones.

MAC First Round

9. Kent State 70
8. W. Michigan 79

12. Buffalo 77
5. Miami OH 71

6. N. Illinois 83
11. C. Michigan 69

7. Akron 84
10. Bowling Green 72

love seeing Miami OH go down. They are a major threat. Mixed feelings on KEnt State winning. Sure they just beat us, but damn I want revenge.

MAC Quarterfinals

1. Ohio
9. Kent State

4. E. michigan
12. Buffalo

3. Toledo
6. N. Illinois

2. Ball State
7. Akron

Lets rock.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #484
Radii
Head Coach

March 10, 2016 - MAC Quarterfinals

Ohio (21-6, 12-4 MAC) vs Kent State (16-14, 7-9 MAC)

Same info here. REVENGE today.

77 OVR for Kent State (78 off/79 def/82 sht/85 reb). Their best player, Logan Montgomery, is out for another 2 weeks with a broken Wrist. They aren't the same without him. This is the second time we've played Kent State with him not in the lineup. Two years ago he only played 8 games due to injury. Last year he looks to have missed 2 or 3 games as well.

Scouting

SF Damond Hooper – FR – 69 OVR – 78 speed/72 quickness. 79 defense, a solid C+ for a SF. 83 close/68 med/62 3, 81 in traffic, he looks to only be a danger if he can get in close. But he doesn't seem to have the physical skills to really be a threat. 4.5 ppg. Not a bad freshman but not ready to take over for a guy like Montgomery

Half
Time
OHIO
KSU
Notes
13:30
Well we start poorly, down 9-3, trying to shoot over their 2-3 zone and failing. We get a couple steals and drives and end up on an 8-0 run and earning a 6th man bonus on a layin by Lufkin. Timeout Kent State.
A Watson rebound on a missed shot gives us another 6th man bonus, and Watson scores on the other end, starters can stay in as long as this keeps up!
They get a 6th man bonus as Lufkin gets a charge. Backups are finally in.
6:10
THERE WE GO. They cut it down to 1, 20-19, when we finally get it going, almost entirely in transition with good defense. 10 point lead!
No more defense apparently. 4 straight for Kent State, I call a timeout to get my starters back in.

HALF
Lamkin misses a 3 at the buzzer but we go into the locker room playing well and up 11. Lamkin leads us with 9 but he's shooting pretty poorly, 4 Fts and otherwise 2-8. Watson has 8, Lufkin 6. . We drew a lot of fouls that half and shot 16-18 from the line to account for most of the difference.

Their backup SG, Laws, has 12 points on 3-5 from 3 and a few free throws. Parsons has 7. Holland went out with an injury midway through the half and has not returned. He may well be out for the game.
15:40
We extend the lead to 18, very hot from 3 to start the half. Timeout Kent State.
14:15
6 straight from Kent State. Lamkin also picks up 3 ridiculously fast fouls and has 4. Santiago is in.
12:40
Backups are in. Looking good.
9:00
Laws is trying to keep them in the game by himself, and he's doing a decent job, I think he has 19 points so far, but Santiago and Mendoza each are hitting 3's and we're really just beating them from behind the arc right now.
No need to rush the starters back in when things are going like this. Santiago scores our last 7 to come up with a career day, he's got 25 now. Starters are back in after a foul.

We run out the clock from there.

Ohio 92
Kent State 71

REVENGE IS MINE. We were more successful in transition today and really shot the 3 well in the 2nd half. We were 15-31 from 3.

Murphy: 14 points/7 assists
Lamkin: 16 points
Lufkin: 15 points
Bright: 4 points/9 boards
Watson: 8 points/6 boards

Santiago: 25 points (8-12 FG, 5-8 3, 4-4 FT)

Great game for Santiago today.

Last edited by Radii : 04-04-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #485
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Quarterfinals

1. Ohio 92
9. Kent State 71

4. E. michigan 81
12. Buffalo 79

6. N. Illinois 82
3. Toledo 69

2. Ball State 65
7. Akron 64

MAC Semifinals

1. Ohio
4. E. Michigan

6. N. Illinois
2. Ball State
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #486
Radii
Head Coach

March 11, 2016 – MAC Semifinals

(1) Ohio (22-6, 12-4 MAC) vs (4) Eastern Michigan (15-14, 9-7 MAC)

This is where we've fallen the last two years in the conference tourney. Two years ago we were the 2 seed and lost to 3 seed EMU in the semis. Last year we were the 1 seed and lost to Ball State in the semifinals.

EMU is rated 77 OVR (76 off/77 def/77 sht/86 reb). We haven't played a game out against them since that tourney game 2 seasons ago. Their roster has almost completely turned over since then.

Scouting

PG Jeremee Alleyne – JR – 67 OVR – 86 speed/83 quickness. 74 defense, godawful. 77 close/67 med/71 3. 79 off the dribble. 81 hands/84 passing... much better passing (C hands/B passing). 8.1 ppg/4.9 apg.

SG Woody Karis – JR – 74 OVR – 6'5, big for a SG for whatever its worth. 86 speed/84 quickness, 78 defense(very low). 80 close/78 med/76 3. 78 off the dribble/79 in traffic. 81 steals which his solid. Hopefully Lamkin and Santiago can abuse the poor defense all game. 8.3 ppg/5.2 rpg/3.7 apg. 76 drb rating is great for a guard.

SF Kirby Summers – SR – 73 OVR – 78 speed/74 quickness. 80 defense, B- for a SF, not bad, not great. 79 close/74 med/64 3. 77 off the dribble/75 in traffic. 75 defensive awareness is pretty solid too FWIW. 9.2 ppg/4.3 rpg.

PF Kentrell Warner – JR – 72 OVR – 6'10”, 81 orb/79 drb, 74 post offense/74 post defense. 82 close/84 in traffic. Good leaper for a big guy(76) and strong (72). But hopefully the poor post play and rebounding gives us an edge here. 10.6 ppg/5.7 rpg. Warner will have a height edge over Bright.

C Dameon Archibong – JR – 71 OVR – 6'11” - 76 orb/78 drb, fairly poor(C), 77 post offense/74 post defense. 83 close/81 in traffic. Looks pretty average. He does lead the team with 12.8 ppg this year.

Everyone in their lineup has 4 bars or more of experience. Its a balanced, experienced starting 5. They appear to be fairly awful defensively. They also don't run very deep, 7 guys rated 60+ (actually 8 but a bakcup PF is hurt). Seems like we ought to have an edge here.

Our team unity is up to 67. Theirs is 61.

Half
Time
OHIO
EMU
Notes
With very few stoppages in play I go ahead and call a timeout to get the backups in. I was ready to call for them around the 14 minute mark. Slow start, they spend some time in a 2-3 which we are continuing to struggle against when we see it.
7:50
Back and forth, we led by 1, then them for awhile, but they took a 27-22 lead and we just cut it down to 3. Timeout EMU.
We're in a stretch where they are scoring every single possession and I can't seem to do shit about it. Seems time to call a timeout and get the starters back in.
4:00
Their best player, Karis, has 16 points... urgh.
2:15
Ahhh, 6-2 run gets us a 6th man boost and back on the right track, I'd like to get the lead back before halftime.

HALF
Well I'll take a 1 point game after letting them stay ahead the last part of the half. No defense, anywhere. Both teams are shooting over 60%. They're 19-31, 4-7 from 3. Karis has 14, Summers 8. They're a combined 8-11 from the field.

Watson leads us with 10, he had 0 when the starters came back out with 6 minutes left and he went on a tear. Garcia, Lamkin and Lufkin all have 6 points. Hopefully we can make them miss a few shots in the 2nd half.
17:45
Karis hits a 3 and I put Murphy on him hoping he can make some kind of difference. They start on a 7-2 run though and go up 6. After a blocked shot against Watson leading to a layup on the other end they get a 6th man boost and I call a timeout.
16:00
A couple stops and a couple scores and its a 2 point game again. Watson and Murphy both have 3 fouls. I'm hoping to get to the 13 minute mark without them picking up #4.
14:25
Lufkin with a 3 point play and we take the lead by 1.
12:25
We go up 3, Karis scores his 20th point on a 3 that ties it. We get Watson another bucket inside and they call a timeout. Backups are in.
Back and forth 1 point game now with 10 minutes left.
6:20
It was back and forth for a bit until we took a 1 point lead, got a steal and got Santiago a 3 pointer to go up 4. That's where the lead sits now as the starters come in to finish off the game. Karis has 22 for them.
Watson commits his 4th foul. He gets a stuff while he's getting the foul though and that's enough to send the crowd off for a 6th man bonus.
5:10
After a lucky break on a tipped pass we recover the ball and Lamkin hits an open 3 to give us our biggest lead this half, up 5.
5:05
Their PG loses control of the ball in the backcourt, Lamkin picks it up and goes in for a layup, 7 point lead!
Watson fouls out and allows Karis a 3 point play opportunity in the process. Grundy in to finish the game off at center. The FT is no good and we remain up 5.
2:25
We just ran a good 1:15 off the clock, but unfortunately they end up blocking a 3 by Lufkin as the shot clock expires(we got an offensive rebound extending the possession earlier). Their ball down 5.
2:10
They score quickly to make it a 3 point game. I call a timeout to quiet the 6th man.
We have a shot blocked on our end, Karis misses an open 3 for them thank goodness, but they get the offensive board and putback.
1:18
Lamkin gets by his man easily and scores on a layup. 3 point lead.
0:43
Lufkin with a steal on the other end! We run a play that gets lufkin an open midrange jumper but he cannot hit it. Up 3, their ball.
0:36
They score quickly on their end and have to foul. Murphy hits the front end...misses the back end but Lufkin grabs the board! They foul again. Lufkin makes the 1st...misses the 2nd. Way to go, 2-4 at the line, they're still within 3.
0:20
Whew, Karis misses a 3. Bright is fouled after the rebound, their 9th so its tsill 1 and 1. He makes both.

I make one more free throw and its enough.

Ohio 91
Eastern Michigan 87

All 5 of their starters end up in double figures. Karis leads them with 24 points and 5 assists. Summers scores 14, both their big men score 12, and PG with 10. They shot over 50% for the game, 36-66. We shoot even better, 33-54, also 21-26 from the line. We outrebound them 24-19 as well.

Murphy: 6 points/4 assists
Lamkin: 19 points
Lufkin: 12 points
Bright: 7 points/10 boards
Watson: 14 points

Grundy: 10 points/5 boards
Garcia: 8 points
Santiago: 8 points
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #487
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Semifinals

1. Ohio 91
4. E. Michigan 87

2. Ball State 79
6. N. Illinois 78

Finals

1. Ohio
2. Ball State

Our RPI is #35 right now. Ball State's is #25. In Bracketology both of us are projected as 7 seeds. At 23-6 I hope we've done enough to get in regardless, but it sure would be nice to beat them once...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #488
Radii
Head Coach

March 12, 2016 – MAC Finals

(1) Ohio (22-6, 12-4 MAC) vs (2) Ball State (25-7, 12-4 MAC)

They beat us handily in the first two meetings and left us feeling completely helpless in multiple situations. I tried putting my best defender on Edelin last game and it backfired, he got his points and their other guards scored a lot more too. This time I'll just have Murphy shut down Janiszewski and realize that Edelin is going to score and I can't do anything about it.

The plan is to slow the game down. I don't think it will work, but running with them is just not working at all.

Scouting

PG Femi Janiszewski – FR – 69 OVR – 88 speed/81 quickness. 84 defense. He's a poor handler and an average passer. 75 close/66 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble. He'll develop into an above average player for sure, espicially with his speed and defense, but for now, he's not there. 7.4 ppg/3.5 apg.

SG Gary Edelin – SR – 85 OVR – Edelin is the highest rated player in the league, though he's still listed as undrafted, seems he has no pro future. 89 speed/88 quickness, 84 defense, 88 steals(A-, very very good). 85 close/86 med/85 3. 85 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. His tendencies remain low which hurts him, he is up to 13.3 ppg this year so far.

SF Fab Minoff – JR – 79 OVR – 6'9” - 83 defense, quite good for a SF, a solid post defender. 86 close/82 med/65 3(thank goodness). 84 in traffic and a good dunker(83). Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B str, B- hustle. 8.7 ppg/4.8 rpg.

PF Moises Massey – SR – 76 OVR – A 6'6” SF, so they are hurting for big man depth. 79 orb/69 drb, 75 post offense/73 post defense. 87 close/73 med/73 3. 75 off the dribble/81 in traffic. A potentially dangerous scorer if he drags our big men out onto the wing. But he's a godawful rebounder and that's going to hurt them a lot. 9.7 ppg/3.8 rpg.

C Herman Wheeler – SR – 73 OVR – 6'9”, a PF who would do a lot better with another big man at center. 79/84 on the boards(off/def). 78 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 78 close range shot/86 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. 8.8 ppg/6.4 rpg

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
12:10
Booooring. Lamkin has 8. Bright has 2. We've never trailed, was tied at 7 until Lamkin was fouled shooting a 3. Watson is killing me, 0-4 inside against their 3-2 zone. Backups are in.
Still 10-7 halfway through the half. Mendoza and Santiago miss a couple 3's but we play some good defense.
7:15
Still looking good, the longer we can drag out this slowdown with a lead the better. Grundy has given us 3 and Keller a bucket inside.
5:20
Starters are back in. We miss a couple down low and allow them to take the lead.

HALF
Total, total horseshit. We geta goaltending on a 3 with about 10 seconds left. Watson went up early and grabbed the ball as it was falling off the rim, no way in hell it goes in... anyway, we trail by 2 at the half.

They are 10-21 from the field, 2-6 from 3. Massey leads them with 5, Janiszewski 4. Edeline only has 2 so far. Minoff 0. In past games that has been a terrible sign, meaning they're going to go off for thousands of second half points. Hopefully this will be different.

We are 6-18 from the field, 1-7 from 3. 10-13 from the line as most of our offense has involved attacking the basket. Lamkin has 8, Watson 6, Bright 4. Watson is 1-6 inside but 4-6 from the line.
17:15
I miss my first two shots inside while they hit a 3 and a 2. Timeout Ohio.
14:20
They are scoring a lot more often for sure. A lufkin 3 cuts it to 4, a Massey 3 makes it 7 again, a Watson 3 point play has it back to 4, their ball.
11:53
We cut it to 3 with 3 pointers by Murphy and Lamkin. Still slowing the ball down, just now we're both scoring most every trip. I call a timeou to get the backups in.
Our first backcourt turnover makes it a 5 point game again.
8:30
A few failed possession and a minoff 3 and we're down by our largest margin so far.
7:30
Yeah I didn't think this would work. Damn. We get a 3 from Santiago, they get a bucket and a steal on the inbounds and a big alley oop dunk. I call a timeout. We're in the same spot as always. Down 9 in the final 10 minutes against Ball State.
6:20
We fail to score twice in a row and they get another 3 from Massey. I call a timeout and get the starters back in. Time to play our normal game and hope for some magical difference that hasn't been there yet against these guys.
4:55
A Lamkin 3, a Watson 2 and a steal and layin by Bright cut the lead down to 7. 6th man bonus for us at the 5 minute mark.
3:45
Murphy hits a wide open 3, Edelin stumbles against our press and we pick it up, Murphy misses a 3 this time but Bright gets the offensive board and putback, lead down to 4. Timeout Ball State
2:55
They score to go up 6. Lamkin beats his man in the half court set on our next trip, makes a circus shot and is fouled!! Free throw is good, down 3.
Well that sucked. We get a stop and have the ball down 3. I can't find a good shot and end up with Lamkin taking a tough shot on the baseline towards the end of the shot clock, we miss, they get out on the run, Edelin is fouled and makes both Fts. We're down 5, our ball.
1:16
It takes is way too damn long but Lufkin works his way by his man for a layup. They spend 10 seconds getting it over half court and call timeout. Their ball, up 3, 25ish seconds on the shot clock.
Seriously their whole team must have clutch ratings of 500. They make a contested 3 from Massey. We get a layin by Lamkin...

Ball State is clutch. We are not. Good effort but no.

Ball State 71
Ohio 61

And for the 3rd year in a row, we sit at home on selection sunday wondering if we have a shot to get into the tournament with a 20+ win season as the highest rated team in the conference, unable to win the conference tournament.

Murphy: 6 points/5 assists
Lamkin: 19 points
Lufkin: 5 points
Bright: 12 points/9 boards
Watson: 9 points/5 boards

Keller: 4 points/6 boards

We end up shooting 40% for the game. They shoot 58%. I said at halftime:

“Edelin only has 2 so far. Minoff 0. In past games that has been a terrible sign, meaning they're going to go off for thousands of second half points”

The two combined for 23 second half points, exactly half of Ball State's second half total. Massey finishes with 16 and was also big in the second half.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #489
Radii
Head Coach

In the final bracketology before selection sunday we are still in as an 8 seed. Our RPI is 36th, and we are 23-7 overall. We are 0-4 vs top 50 teams, 6-1 vs 51-100. 12-2 vs 101-200, and 5-0 vs 200+.

Ball State is still projected a 6 seed.

NCAA Tournament Selection

Ok, we are not on the final bubble watch, I have to assume that means we're in.

Bubble Teams: Georgetown, Kansas State, Iowa, BYU, Wisconsin, LSU, Xavier, Providence, Purdue, San Diego State.

1 Seeds

EAST: North Carolina - top seed, they've been #1 all season long.
SOUTH: Texas Tech
MIDWEST: Rhode Island
WEST: Marquette

East Region

New Mexico State/Ole Miss is the 8/9 game.

Ball State is the 7 seed in the East, they'll face Wisconsin, a power team the last few years, down a bit this year.

Kentucky is the 2 seed here.

South

HAH!

Ohio is the 9 seed in the south Regional!!!

Our opponent? Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils.

If we get a win there we'd play Texas Tech in round 2.

Arizona State is a 5 seed here.

I skip ahead after seeing my name.

Pepperdine earns a 3 seed, easily the top mid major.

Duke had a down year, finishing only 16-12, 9-7 in ACC play. But holy crap check out their roster strength.

COACH: Ohio 79 - Duke 100
REBOUNDING: Ohio 91 - Duke 93
SHOOTING: Ohio 87 - Duke 92
DEFENSE: Ohio 83 - Duke 94
OFFENSE: Ohio 84 - Duke 91

OVERALL: Ohio 84 - Duke 93

woo boy. Regardless, I'm thrilled to earn an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament for the first time. We can worry about choking down the stretch and beating Ball Freaking State next season. For now its big dance time! I'll play this later today, hopefully before the final four starts.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #490
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Awesome, congrats!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #491
gi
College Prospect

Sorry about Ball State, welcome to the tourney!
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #492
hoopsguy
General Manager

Man, those weasels from Ball State squeaked by with a pair of one point wins to get the chance to beat you three straight. I have to imagine that you pretty much despise that team at this point.

Congrats on getting in the dance. I'm guessing that is worth a coaching point?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #493
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Congrats on getting in the dance. I'm guessing that is worth a coaching point?

Nah, my first season at Ohio(I think...1st or 2nd) I won the conference tournament and made the tournament. My next postseason related coaching point would involve making the sweet 16. That seems... unlikely this season
Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #494
Radii
Head Coach

March 18, 2016 – NCAA Tournament First Round

(8) Duke (16-12) vs (9) Ohio (23-7)

Duke is the last of 7 ACC teams to make the tournament. Coach K is still there and actually earned his 1000th win in February. They have a huge amount of talent. I have been mentioning Duke pretty frequently in the top 5(usually the top 2) of the recruiting class rankings recently. It shows here as 6 of their top 8 players are 5* top 20 recruits in their class.

Duke is rated 93 OVR (91 off/94 def/92 sht/93 reb).

Hah, we're playing at Ford Field, seems a little big for a first weekend site, but whatever. This video game is the only chance anyone gets to see Duke uniforms at Ford Field this weekend The lighter shade of blue playing there later tonight really does look a lot better anyway.

Scouting

PG Jarrid Delic – JR – 90 OVR – 95 speed/94 quickness, wow. 94 defense. Wow again. 97 steals. Double wow. 95 handling/87 passing. 86 close/78 med/80 3. 91 off the dribble. WOW. This is the best point guard we've ever played against, without question. 15.7 ppg/5.1 apg.

SG Terence Torres – JR – 86 OVR – 92 speed/87 quickness. 87 defense. 87 close/77 med/84 3. 84 off the dribble/82 in traffic. 75 dunk with solid but not spectacular athletic abilities (C+ vert/B+ str/B- hustle). Just 4.9 ppg.

SF Zack Hudson – JR – 90 OVR – 89 speed/82 quickness. 81 defense. 93 close/87 med/83 3. 84 off the dribble/89 in traffic. He's 6'6” and as good a rebounder as Bright or Watson overall. 81 orb/87 drb. 92 vert/73 str/75 hustle, Hudson looks like a crazy athletic guy. 10.2 ppg/5.1 rpg.

PF Ransom McClinton – JR – 88 OVR – 6'7”, a natural SF. Duke seems to have continued the trend of ignoring the inside game. 82 orb/85 drb. 85 speed/88 quickness. 80 post offense/68 post defense. 83 close/87 med/79 3. 83 off the dribble/92 in traffic. 88 dunk rating, an outstanding dunker. 11.1 ppg/5.1 rpg.

C Jeb Bouma – JR – 71 OVR – Starting due to an injury. 71 orb/86 drb. 74 post offense/68 post defense. 84 close/82 in traffic. Just 2 ppg.

behind these guys is an 88 rated PG that looks incredible, and a freshman SF who was the #4 recruit in the country last year rated 87 OVR(A+ Potential with a 100 rated coach, wonder how much he developed so far this year).

Our basic plan is to slow the game down and pray. While they don't have strong post defenders, our most likely chance to hang with them is to shoot 3 pointers well. But we will be trying to use our size and skilled big men best we can in deep. It seems like we ought to have a nice rebounding edge against these guys with their lack of big men.

Half
Time
OHIO
DUKE
Notes
18:45
I'm marking this one down to note that we led the game. Murphy with an open 3. That's a good sign as having a few people hot from 3 would be nice.
15:25
Lamkin! They've missed two jumpers and Bright blocked their last shot attempt. Lamkin has hit an open 3, burned his man in the half court set and run out for a dunk after that blocked shot. He has 7. Timeout duke!!
A steal, another miss... Duke is struggling quite a bit on offense, and a Bright layup gives us a 10 point lead early. Timeout Duke.
10:30
Lamkin misses an open 3 and Watson misses a tough shot on our next trip, 4 straight for Duke, I call a timeout to get the backups in.
Santiago with a 3 on our first possession, Keller with a great block inside triggers a runout by Garcia and an easy bucket. Timeout Duke!!
Santiago with two more drives to the basket, he has 7, and we lead by 14! Starters are back in. They look to be running their starters to exhaustion, they've only made two subs so far and one of them was to take out their PF, McClinton when he picked up foul #2(we've drawn 2 fouls all half, both on him).
Ugh, there's the run. We miss a couple shots that had been going earlier. Their backup SG, Grafs, gets hot for them and scores 7 straight. After that SF Hudson also has 5 and that accounts for their last 12 points since the last update. Timeout Ohio.

HALF
Great finish to the half. They get a free throw and make it 32-27. They get the offensive board off the missed 2nd FT, but we block the shot and run out for a dunk for Lufkin. Another stop, and Lamkin tries a 3 with 5 seconds on the clock, he misses but Watson is there for the putback, and we stretch our lead out to 9 and get the momentum back.

Duke is shooting 12-22, 2-4 from 3. Hudson 9, Delic 8, backup SG Grafs 7. Their inside game is worthless. We have a 14-7 edge on the boards which accounts for a lot of our edge. We have 4 offensive baords.

Lamkin has 9, Santiago 7, Watson 6. We're shooting 15-26 with a lot of really high percentage shots. 3-8 from 3, 3-5 from the line.
17:40
Hudson with two 3's and then a steal and layup for Delic and they cut the lead to 1. Not a good start to the half. Timeout Ohio
15:00
Lamkin with two huge 3's to get us back on track. Hudson is incredible for them and seems to be able to score whenever he wants to now. I think he has 17.
11:45
I call a timeout to get the backups in. Very good stretch for me. Hudson may be unstoppable but Lufkin can take him 1 on 1 more often than not and scores 4 for us, Watson with a finish in low and we're still hanging on to the lead here.
11:10
3 pointer for Santiago, timeout Duke!
8:30
Timeout Duke. We go up 12 on 2 Fts from Keller. They sit Hudson, a great sign for us.
6:10
We just ate up almost 2 full minutes with a possession that included 3 offensive rebounds for Ohio, eating up clock each time, finally get get a layin by Keller. Timeout Duke, starters back in, come on guys finish this thing!!!
Lufkin with a 3! Turnover duke against our press!! 6th man bonus for Ohio.
3:55
In the last 4 minutes we have 2 steals and now 6 offensive rebounds. I am honestly not sure if Duke has even taken a shot.
They miss 2 3's but get the offensive putback on both, we turn it over in the backcourt between them. Sucks but I assume we're in a place where we dont' have to score again really.

They get the lead down to 11 but as it did the entire 2nd half, Offensive Rebounding wins the day for us. We run it down to under a minute before they get the ball back. They get it down to 9 with about 55 seconds to go but its too late.

Ohio 65
Duke 53

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Duke shoots 52% for the day, but we shoot 51%. We go 8/17 from 3. Total Rebounds: Ohio 28 – Duke 14

We pull down 13 offensive rebounds, only leading to 8 second chance points but the amount of time we ran off the clock with the lead in the second half due to having the edge on the boards...

Hudson ends up with 17 for them.

Murphy: 3
Lamkin: 18 (4-9 from 3)
Lufkin: 13
Bright: 2 points/8 boards
Watson: 8 points/4 boards

Santiago: 12 points
Old 04-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #495
Radii
Head Coach

It doesn't get much sweeter than winning my first NCAA Tournament game over Duke!! Texas Tech doesn't get upset by the 16 seed, so we've got them next. Hopefully i'll play them tonight.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #496
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm not sure why you are not working on this game right this moment. I mean, UNC is up 15 on Villanova
Old 04-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #497
Radii
Head Coach

March 20, 2016 – NCAA Tournament Second Round

(1) Texas Tech (29-4) vs (9) Ohio (24-7)

Texas Tech is rated 91 OVR (91 off/93 def/95 sht/93 reb/88 coach). Lower than Duke, but obviously there are other things that go into a matchup besides pure ratings here, so lets see what we're looking at.

Texas Tech lost their opener vs Utah(now a 10 seed in the tournament). They beat UNLV and Washington State who are both tournament bound before entering Big 12 play. They went 13-3 in the conference, losing to Texas(a 4 seed in the tourney), Kansas State (11 seed), and Missouri in OT. They've won 10 games in a row including sweeping through the big 12 tournament. They beat 16 seed Texas Southern 109-58. Texas Tech has the #2 RPI in the country, only behind UNC.

They have the #10 most efficient offense in the nation, #11 defense, averaging 80 points/game with a victory margin of 16.8 points.

Scouting

PG Brayden Bazin – SR – 85 OVR – 92 speed/92 quickness. 85 vertical/77 hustle... this is an athletic hard working team. 89 defense/80 steals. 88 handling(B-), 78 passing(C+). 87 close/74 med/85 3. 84 off the dribble. 13.8 ppg/2.5 apg. Looks like he can shoot the 3 or drive real well.

SG D'Jamal Adkins – SR – 91 OVR – 92 speed/90 quickness. Great athlete, 89 vertical/76 hustle. 81 oawareness/88 dawareness. 85 defense, 89 close/88 med/85 3. 82 off the dribble. Adkins averages 18.8 ppg and is 6'7”, a big guard. The Pro Buzz on him projects him to be the top pick in the NBA Draft.

SF Stevan Heard – JR – 86 OVR – 89 speed/83 quickness. 85 vertical/90 hustle. 84 defense, B+ for a SF. 84 steals. 87 close/85 med/72 3. 86 in traffic, poor off the dribble. 95 dunker. Heard is the #2 option with 15 points/game.

PF Michael Toole – JR – 84 OVR – A 6'6” SG. Again WTF. 87 speed/90 quickness. 83 defense/80 steals. Terrible on the boards, terrible rebounder. 84 close/72 med/79 3. 81 off the dribble/85 in traffic.

C noel Troutman – JR – 85 OVR – A 6'5” SF. WTF! 87 speed/75 quickness. No post ability or rebounding to speak of. 85 close/82 med/75 3. 85 in traffic, 90 dunker... very athletic. 8.1 ppg/4.8 rpg.

Adkins is a coach on the floor with an average awareness of 84. their PG/SG/SF all have full 6 bars of experience, Troutman has 5 and Toole 4... they're an experienced bunch.

They dont' have a center or power forward on the roster. I don't know what this means for our matchup, is it possible we'll kill them on the glass like we did Duke and have a shot here?

This may be one of the most experienced teams in the nation. 91 team unity. Mine is 68.

Half
Time
OHIO
TTU
Notes
12:45
Well this is a bit weird. We can't make anything. I've been trying to feed the post, not working at all. Lamkin drove once, got blocked, they have a couple steals, they're swiping all over the place without fouling at all. But they're cold, they're not getting to the basket, not making shots... so its 4-1 7 minutes in. Backups are in.
11:15
Santiago hits a 3, our first field goal.
9:55
Ohio has committed 3 fouls this half. Garcia has all of them. I guess I'm bringing in Northcutt?
Both teams heat up. If they're going to attack and score we really can't do much. Also, we have 11 points. Rodney Santiago has 10. Starters are back in.

HALF
They're shooting 43% from the field, we're shooting 30%. They're 1-8 from 3 and 8-9 at the line, 10-23 overall. The thing that gets me is that they're destroying us on the boards. They have 18 boards, we have 10. I have 1 offensive board, they have at least 4.

Santiago has 10 for us, Watson has 6, and Lufkin has 2. That's it. Murphy and Lamkin are 0-7 combined. Lamkin got to the basket 3 times and didn't score. There really isn't much to change here, just score more.
16:33
Heh, we just can't score. I bring in Santiago and call a timeout. They got a 3 point play on an alley oop that was pretty impressive to see, and two other dunks that we have no chance to stop.
Haha this is what I expected from Duke. Wow. Bright is killing me. He's getting the best looks out of anyone, he's getting some offensive boards and he simply cannot put the ball in the basket. Backups are in.
10:50
We make a little run here, Santiago is becoming my go to guy, he might score over half our points tonight.
6:25
Starters are coming back in.

Strange game. Despite the size difference, we had zero inside game, just nothing. And then Lamkin could blow by his man but couldn't finish, he had a number of shots blocked or altered going to the basket. Lufkin can finish, but he couldn't get by his man.

I will say though, this game and the last 3 or 4 that I played, I think we're starting to see what Santiago is going to become as he develops. He can blow by a lot of people, he can finish in transition, and he has a sweet 3 point shot. I don't know if it will happen next year, but I think he'll average 20 points a game for me at least one season before he's done.

Texas Tech 67
Ohio 41

Texas Tech ends up shooting 47%. We shoot 27%. They outrebound us 36-25 and grab 9 offensive boards. Their scoring is balanced and really I didn't focus on any one player. They just seemed like a team with 10 guards, all of them better than anyone we had on the court. It wasn't like the Duke game at all where they had one guy that was killing us but no one else, despite the ratings, was able to have any success.

Murphy: 3 points (1-8 shooting)
Lamkin: 0 points (0-7 shooting, only 0-1 from three... that's the “can drive but can't finish” thing I was talking about)
Lufkin: 4 points
Bright: 1 points/8 boards (0-7 from the field)
Watson: points/8 boards (2-9 from the field)

Santiago: 17 points (7-12/3-7 from 3)

None of my other backups scored more than 3 points.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #498
Radii
Head Coach

hahaha. This is awesome.

NCAA Tournament

Ball State loses to Wisconsin in the first round.

EAST: 1 seed North Carolina kills 2 seed Kentucky 107-69 to make the final four
West: 4 seed NC State beats 2 seed Florida to make the final four
South: 3 seed Michigan State beats 5 seed Arizona State 79-75 (Arizona State beat Texas Tech in the sweet 16)
Midwest: 1 seed Rhode Island beats 10 seed Louisvilla 76-69

Final Four

1 seed North Carolina beats 4 seed NC State 116-81
3 seed Michigan State beats 1 seed Rhode Island 79-72

In the finals, 1 seed North Carolina beats 3 seed Michigan State 92-79.

That is awesome.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #499
Radii
Head Coach

Graduating Seniors

SF Kaylen Lufkin - 6'8" 218 lbs - 80 OVR

Lufkin turned out pretty good and maybe could have been better if House wasn't the starter in front of him for 3 seasons. Lufkin was a solid backup for 3 years, averaging about 6 points/game in each of his first 3 seasons. His senior year he scored 13.3 points per game to lead the team.

PF Curtis Watson - 6'10" 252 lbs - 79 OVR

Watson was a good rebounder and good defender, but never enough of a scorer to make a lot of noise. He played 117 games in his career, starting 82 of them. As a senior he averaged 7.5 ppg and 6.7 rpg. For his career he averaged 5 points/game and 6.2 rebounds/game.

SG Chuck Lamkin - 6'4" 209 lbs - 74 OVR

Lamkin was the 2nd leading scorer his senior season, and his career followed Lufkin's almost exactly. Lamkin backed up Cooper for 3 seasons, finally earning the starting spot his senior year. He averaged 11.3 points/game as a senior and ended up with a 7.3 ppg average over his career.

Santiago is ready to step in and fill the shoes at either SF or SG, but its unclear as of yet who will fill the other role. Its possible that Murphy and Mendoza will both start, or maybe Garcia will start at SF, he does have a bit of size to him. And there's also a chance that a new recruit will step in.

While neither Grundy or Keller are the rebounder that Watson was, both would be effective starting at center next year. I am not sure which one will win the job.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #500
Radii
Head Coach

2015/16 Team Stats

Lufkin was my 6th leading scorer last year and moves way up to the top of the list this year. Lamkin was 8th in scoring last year and moves up to 2nd.

Last year House and Cooper were a much bigger part of our scoring than anyone this year. Its interesting to see where the extra points fell. Murphy for example I thought might become a double digit scorer, but I think he's pretty much maxxed out as far as what he can accomplish, there was no good way to get him more good looks. Mendoza was just no longer a go to guy on the bench in any way. If I wanted a drive to the hoop Garcia is actually quite good at that. Santiago was my scorer on the bench if I wasn't looking inside. Mendoza was just totally relegated to defender and distributor.

Pos
Name
Class
Assists
FG %
3P %
FT %
SF
Kaylen Lufkin
SR
SG
Chuck Lamkin
SR
SF
Rodney Santiago
FR
PF
Lloyd Bright
SO
PG
Michel Murphy
JR
PF
Curtis Watson
SR
C
JR Keller
JR
PF
Nathan Grundy
SO
SG
Shawn Garcia
JR
PG
David Mendoza
JR
SG
Erkan Northcutt
FR
SF
Dwight Snowden
SO

We're graduating 40% of our points and 36% of our rebounds per game this year in Lamkin, Lufkin and Watson. The difference between this year and last, is that I am fairly confident that we will be able to fill in the holes with relative ease.