Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2023, 07:15 PM   #11101
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I don't think my wife cared for the Shingles one too much (though she doesn't do all that well with any of them), but mentioned the DTAP as being particularly bad.

Got mine an hour ago, we'll see how it goes. Shingles left arm, other two right. Pharmacist was considerate in that she opted not to use band aids on me because shoulder hair.

yeah band-aid removal on shoulder hair hurts more than the shot heh
Old 09-21-2023, 07:50 AM   #11102
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So checked and all my government provided test kits have expired. With holiday season coming up, bought 2 x 2 test kits for $18 each. Seems kinda expensive but unsure if supply can keep up with demand if it gets bad.

Great news, free test kits resuming. I just bought a couple weeks ago, just bad timing ...

Quote:
Starting next week, people will be able to once again request four free Covid tests from the government, the Biden administration said Wednesday.

The Department of Health and Human Services said that it is reopening its website COVIDTests.gov on Sept. 25. Households can order the tests to be delivered to their homes, free of charge.

The announcement comes as Covid cases rise in the United States — and as many people are realizing the tests they’ve long had on hand have expired. It may be prudent to check the expiration date on the newly ordered tests when they arrive, however. Last year, there were reports of people receiving tests very close to their expiration date.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:30 AM   #11103
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
People around us have been dropping like flies with COVID, so I hope we got lucky and got the boosts in time.

We don't have ours yet and I'm going to a soccer tournament (staying in a hotel) with my youngest this weekend so we're totally going to get it. Wonderful.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #11104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The wife and I appear to have survived flights to Seattle and a week cruise to Alaska without getting it. Unlike last time, when my wife got both Covid and a stomach bug after a cruise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #11105
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Starting Monday you can request some more free tests.

COVID.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:29 AM   #11106
bhlloy
Coordinator

I survived the Milan derby, trains to and from Milan and the Milan metro last weekend, had to test every day this week for a work event. That or the tests are absolute garbage, but haven’t had any symptoms either (knock on wood).
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:04 PM   #11107
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Day three for me. My wife's case was mild, thankfully (four days before she stopped running a fever entirely). Now she gets to take care of me. One of the advantages of not working in an office is that I'm never exposed to anything, so I'm unfamiliar with being sick.

I asked my doctor about criteria for going to the hospital, other than the obvious (chest pains or shortness of breath and disorientation). He suggested getting what's called an Oximeter, with which you stick your finger inside and it measures blood oxygen level. He said if that drops below 90%, you should probably seek emergency care.

After most of two days not able to work at all, I find myself trying to work now, so that's a good sign, I think. Most of today, I couldn't even lift my head to read. My wife is not happy with me going back to the home office.

I don't know if Joe Burrow is married, but if so, I'm sure his wife has somewhat similar thoughts right now.

ETA: I had some old tests from last year lying around. When symptoms started, I took one. Negative. Its "true" expiration date was 1/23, so my guess is that it's best to throw away expired tests without a second thought.

Last edited by Solecismic : 09-25-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:18 PM   #11108
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad you guys are feeling better. Didn't know about the oximeter, thanks for the info.

FWIW. In case you missed it, you can order some new test kits courtesy of Uncle Sam.

COVID.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests
Old 09-25-2023, 09:22 PM   #11109
Ksyrup

On that link there is info about extensions for expired tests beyond stated expiration dates.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-25-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #11110
Edward64
Head Coach

So a person has a 6.9% chance of having long covid.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/long-co...c-survey-data/
Quote:
In reports published Tuesday using data from 2022 National Health Interview Survey, the agency said 6.9% of U.S. adults reported ever having long COVID, while 3.4% said they currently had the condition at the time of interview. Based on U.S. Census data, that would mean nearly 18 million have suffered from the condition at some point since the pandemic began.
List of symptoms.

Quote:
  • Post-exertional malaise (debilitating fatigue that gets worse after physical or mental activity)
  • Fatigue
  • Brain fog
  • Dizziness
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms
  • Heart palpitations
  • Issues with sexual desire or capacity
  • Loss of smell or taste
  • Thirst
  • Chronic cough
  • Chest pain
  • Abnormal movements
Old 09-26-2023, 07:19 PM   #11111
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I asked my doctor about criteria for going to the hospital, other than the obvious (chest pains or shortness of breath and disorientation). He suggested getting what's called an Oximeter, with which you stick your finger inside and it measures blood oxygen level. He said if that drops below 90%, you should probably seek emergency care.

Additionally, anything below 95% isn't good, and should be monitored, and if it keeps going down there's a good case to go to the ER before it even gets to 90%. This is especially true if you have any history of other respiratory or other cardiovascular ailments.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #11112
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Went to the doctor yesterday and I didn't get a Covid booster, but I did get a flu shot and the second shingles shot. For those of you who said the second shot is not as bad: Liar liar lying liars.
Both arms, but mostly the shingles arm, has been hurting me all day. It was a tough day at work, and my arms not wanting to work didn't help. It got to a point where both hands were tingly.
Once I got home I realized I was running a nice low-grade fever. I'm achy all over.
Real fun.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #11113
Ksyrup

Hit me on the first shot only. Although maybe if you didn't get achy and fever on the 1st shot then you had to pay for it on the 2nd.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:24 PM   #11114
Edward64
Head Coach

Take an ibuprofen for the soreness.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:53 PM   #11115
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellawhite View Post
The comparison to "bitcoin roulette" seems to imply a metaphorical link to the unpredictability and risks associated with both the virus and the cryptocurrency market. Bitcoin investment is known for its high volatility and speculative nature, often compared to gambling, where the stakes are high and the outcomes are uncertain. This volatility can be seen in the rapid changes in bitcoin's value, which can be influenced by a wide range of factors including market demand, investor sentiment, regulatory news, and macroeconomic trends. Just as the trajectory of a virus can be difficult to predict, so too can the fluctuations in the value of bitcoin. Both involve risk and uncertainty, and outcomes can be difficult to forecast.

Chat bots get weirder and weirder.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:51 AM   #11116
Edward64
Head Coach

Atocep's positive test in Random made me look at current state ...

CDC changed up their reporting some. I wouldn't trust "test positivity" but the other 3 indicators should be fairly accurate. Basically, no uptick even with the poor uptake of the most recent booster.

Quote:
Test Positivity -.5% (in most recent week)
Emergency Dept visits -8.1%
Hospitalizations -8%
Deaths 2.3% (of all US deaths)

The page says it gets updated Mondays & Fridays, but it's as of Nov 4. So metrics are not really update to date (what's going on CDC?)

CDC COVID Data Tracker
Old 11-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #11117
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been reading about some sort of infection in China for the past week or so. It was hard to gauge what was really going on (e.g. some sensational headlines) but below Politico does a good job.

Chinese hospitals are full of sick children, but don't worry - POLITICO

The problem:
Quote:
... last week’s demand by the World Health Organization for information from China on “reported clusters of pneumonia in children in Northern China” reminded the world of the start of the pandemic nearly four years ago, and triggered anxiety that a new pathogen may again cause a global outbreak.

The rationale:
Quote:
China’s getting hit now, as virus season arrives, because it maintained Covid lockdowns far longer than most other countries, ending them only after a public revolt in January. Lockdowns and other pandemic precautions protected people not only from Covid, but also from other highly infectious respiratory diseases that are more dangerous to kids, such as flu and RSV.

Many children have never previously encountered the viruses or bacteria that can cause illness, and are particularly susceptible.
Quote:
The CDC has endorsed the view that avoiding infectious diseases for a prolonged period makes a population more susceptible when lockdowns, masking, social distancing and other precautions cease.

Bottom-line. Nothing to worry about (or at least, not yet):
Quote:
Because testing so far isn’t showing a novel virus at play, the outbreak in China shouldn’t pose concern to health officials in the U.S., experts said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-28-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:16 AM   #11118
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
yeah band-aid removal on shoulder hair hurts more than the shot heh

Not for those of us who don't have shoulder hair!

Finally got my booster the day after Thanksgiving. Pretty sore shoulder, but otherwise it was no problem.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-28-2023 at 07:18 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #11119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not for those of us who don't have shoulder hair!

Finally got my booster the day after Thanksgiving. Pretty sore shoulder, but otherwise it was no problem.

Damn aliens can't grow shoulder hair!
Old 12-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #11120
Edward64
Head Coach

I kinda like the ad. Thanks Martha.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:58 PM   #11121
Thomkal
Head Coach

Because of course it did;

Malaria drug Trump touted as Covid cure increased chance of death – study | Coronavirus | The Guardian
Old 01-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #11122
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Should I wait for Joe Rogan's apology?
Old 02-04-2024, 05:45 AM   #11123
Edward64
Head Coach

Just got the latest Covid shot on Fri. Going on a trip next month so purposely waited to maximize effectiveness.

Timely report on the latest vaccine effectiveness. 54% beats the flu vaccine.

Early Estimates of Updated 2023–2024 (Monovalent XBB.1.5) COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness Against Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection Attributable to Co-Circulating Omicron Variants Among Immunocompetent Adults — Increasing Community Access to Testing Program, United States, September 2023–January 2024 | MMWR.
Quote:
Updated monovalent COVID-19 vaccines provided 54% (95% CI = 46–60%) protection against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection in persons recently vaccinated compared with those who did not receive an updated vaccine dose. Vaccination provided protection for infections caused by JN.1 and infections caused by XBB-related lineages. Waning of effectiveness is expected with additional elapsed time since vaccination

It talks about protection against catching it but don't think it gets into protection from hospitalization or severity of infection if you catch it.

I also thought quote below was interesting, implying good/maximum vaccine effectiveness through at least 4 months.

Quote:
These early estimates include the period only through 119 days since vaccination, a relatively brief postvaccination period, with no substantial waning.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-04-2024 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:02 AM   #11124
Edward64
Head Coach

Bird flu is up next.

Time to stock up on TP and canned food.

reuters.com
Quote:
The U.S. CDC on Friday issued a health alert to inform clinicians, state health departments and the public of a case of avian influenza in a person who had contact with dairy cows presumed to be infected with the virus.

The farm worker from Texas was reported to be infected on April 1, making it the second case of the H5N1 strain of avian influenza, commonly known as bird flu, identified in a person in the United States.

It follows a 2022 case in Colorado, and comes as the virus is spreading to new mammals, including dairy cattle for the first time.
Well, maybe not ...

Quote:
Earlier this week, the CDC said the infection does not change the risk assessment for the U.S. general public from H5N1 bird flu, which it considers to be low. The Texas patient's only symptom was eye inflammation, according to the state's health department.

But sure hope the CDC is on the ball here.