Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Portiere
Mascot

USMNT Manager--Can the Controversial Portiere Succeed (FM 15)

August 1 2031

Ricardo Portiere is a surprise appointment as the USMNT coach.
After an underwhelming World Cup campaign in 2030, where the US failed to qualify from their group, and a disastrous Gold Cup campaign, where, while playing against Mexico “B” due to Copa America, the US managed to lose to Trinidad and Tabago in the semis, the fate of Coach Sean Black was sealed. But the appointment of Ricardo Portiere just days before the Confederation Cup Playoff shocked many in the football world. Portiere had managed unfancied Aberystwyth Town in Wales, taking the small-town team to European glory by winning the Champions League in 2029 and 2031 after starting as their manager in 2015.

Clearly Portiere can accomplish great things in team-building, taking Premiere League castoffs and turning them into European winners. But will the Italian-American Portiere, who has never managed in the U.S., be able to do great things without the transfer market? Will a national manager who regularly rubbished MLS really be a good fit to lead America? And can his famously abrasive style with the press, and indeed anyone who crosses him, work in the land of the stars and stripes?
Many pundits are predicting failure, though Alexi Lalas, player-turned broadcaster, quipped that Portiere’s wiliness to turn over the apple cart might be just what the U.S. needs. His objectives are victory in the Confederations Cup playoff with El Salvador and easy qualification for the World Cup. Expect a body count of discarded players and lots of noise from scorned journalists. Its going to be quite a ride.

This is an all computer generated universe, with MLS, Mexico, Big 5, and Wales playable, plus a few others in view. I am only the national manager, so while I have attained World Class after winning the UCL with a Welsh side, this doesn't really help me much. But, with not as much to write up, it might help me actually complete something...

Uruguay, helped with a couple of wonderkids, one of whom I snagged for Aberystwyth, has won the last two World Cups. The 2034 Cup will be in Japan.

Last edited by Portiere : 10-29-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Portiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Portiere
Mascot

USA 3 El Salvador 2

August 14, 2031
USA 3 El Salvador 2

In front of 62,000 fans, USA dominated El Salvador but suffered from some shaky defending at the back. 29-year old Sampadoria striker José Manuel Ríos, the US skipper, scored a hat trick as the US outshot El Salvador 34 10, and also edged possession, but keeper Everardo Rivera spilled an easy shot to allow El Salvador to come with one goal after a stellar free kick.

Portiere dropped several establish stars, including Othaniel Santiago (131 Caps, Harve FC France), Eric Méndez (41 Caps Blackpool Championship), and Henry Jones (38 Caps, Dresden 1 Bund) in favor of younger side. While the press questioned this call, it was enough to get the win on the day.

Scoring
Ríos (3) (16, 45+1, 68)

Assists
Jensen (2)
Martinez (1)

MotM
Rios

First Caps
Luis Eduardo Martínez CM/DM 29 (Sporting Club de Bastia League 2)
Fernando Barnes AM/CM 22 (NYCFC MLS)
Chris Harrison AM 21 (Columbus MLS)

I think I'm going to gradually introduce you to the player pool and selection dilemmas.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Portiere
Mascot

Russia and Ecuador Friendlies

With the Conferdation Cup place secured, the US turned to a pair of friendlies against Russia at home (Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL) (23rd) and Ecuador away (56th).

The manager dropped 32 year old Sampadoria defender Kyle Torre, who had appeared 29 times for the US. While some in the media speculated that Portiere is resting Torre, sources close to the manager claim that he is dropping the veteran defender who will by 35 by the time the World Cup comes around in favor of younger players.

Against Russia, the US lined up in a 3-5-2, which Portiere indicated will be the US's primary formation, though the side may experiment with 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 lineups at times. While the match was supposed to be close, the US dominated in front of 21,000 home fans, winning 3-0, with goals from rookie striker Nick Salazer, defender Daniel Kinner, and winger Stephen Nason.

Goals:

Nick Salazar (4), Daniel Kinner (57), Stephen Nason (83)

Assists
Eric Jumper, Sean Dillion

MotM
Nason, USA

Match Stats
US 15, Russia 9
Possession 52%/48%

First Caps

Danny Austin RB (28) Portland (MLS)
Nick Salazar ST (21) New York Red Bulls (MLS)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Portiere
Mascot

Intl Friendlies

USA 2 Ecuador 2

Despite outplaying Ecuador away, two defensive breakdowns led to a 2-2 draw, with goalkeeper 13. Everardo Rivera (DC United) under pressure after a confident performance by Ryan Hadjuk(AZ) in the Russia match against superior opposition.
Bordeaux striker Russell Barns’ 5th minute goal was cancelled out by two second half goals after several substitutions. Bayer winger Stephen Nason saved the day with a late goal.
After the match, Portiere hit out at coaches who asked for their players to play only 45 minutes of international friendlies. “These are official FIFA dates, and in the future I’m going to pick to win, as I won’t let selfish MLS coaches dictate to the national team. I’m confident that respecting absurd 45 minute requests cost our side the win.”
Some papers think that Portiere, despite good early results, is trying to rival Jose Mourinho for the level of conflict and are questioning if this is the right environment for the USA. But in the camp, the atmosphere is fantastic.

USA 4 Slovenia 1
Reserve striker Luc Johnson took advantage of injuries for a rare callup and scored his first goals for the US—three of them, as the USMNT completely outplayed Slovenia. Portiere insisted that Johnson remains strictly a backup option, arguing that he benefited from team creation and an inferior opponent.

Last edited by Portiere : 10-30-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: No text