Interesting, albeit unexpected...
Old 04-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #802
QuikSand
lolzcat

(drafts a kicker in round two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
Interesting, albeit unexpected...

(that's honestly the outcome I decided to settle for...)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #803
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GML Postbot View Post

Baltimore: QuikSand takes TE Mason Fouts with the 3.28 pick.

Run Blocking45<->74
Pass Blocking59<->88
Blocking Strength37<->67
Avoid Drops40<->69
Getting Downfield65<->94
Route Running25<->54
Third Down Catching47<->76
Big-Play Receiving39<->68
Courage58<->86
Adjust to Ball29<->58
Endurance33<->62
Special Teams65<->94

HT
WT
RAW
ADJ
DASH
SOL
BENCH
AGI
BRJU
POS
%DEV

Round 3... a guy who looked better to my scout than the consensus, but hopefully remains productive at least at a TE2 level. Sigh.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #804
QuikSand
lolzcat

We sign a free agent OL, Moe Cebelak. Thinking here is that our current starting C is just hemorrhaging sacks. If he and his run blocking rating were blowing the doors off DTs in the run game, maybe we're okay with that... but alas, he was only 17/66 in KRBs last season. I realize that stat has its weaknesses, but indirectly, not a great sense there. And Borrelli wants $12m a year starting next season... so I think I'll likely just pull the trigger now and put in Cebelak there right away. He's solid, affordable, and even a stronger affinity. We lose a bit of cohesion but not a ton. So, he's our guy, I think.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #805
QuikSand
lolzcat

Important re-signing in G Donnie Darby. He's not a great player, but chem/coh is the key here on this team, we'll live with a run-first guy in the pursuit of the hidden ladders.

Another seemingly valuable signing here is S Jeremiah Wilson. He's my sort of guy - really solid at the skills I value most, and that's about it. Strong safety, well, I'd like some Zone coverage and Run D, and maybe STOP RIGHT THERE. That's him. Sold. We were feeling one man short in the S/DB rotation anyway, so this is good, I think.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #806
QuikSand
lolzcat

Headcount check-in:

51 players signed now
03 draft picks coming aboard
01 FA where we are the lead offer (FB Lusignan)
-1 kicker losing his job
02 RB, DT needed to get to legal
---
56 players "in hand"

So, we will have to do some paring. A guy like C Borrelli seems obvious, supplanted as a starter and very low affinity. I'm sure we can find more, too... like older special teamers who suddenly drop from 95 to 75, and become mere chem guys.

Last year, we actually picked up a couple undrafted rookies who stuck, so we will be watching for that, too, but with some countable cost for anyone we pick up.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #807
QuikSand
lolzcat

So...related question. How good is WR Aiden Dugas? URFA grab last season, looked promising in preseason, makes the final roster of 53 and gets his chem starts. I already have two young WR who are just chem buffers - can't contribute at all on-field. But I'm wondering about Dugas.

Could he be a 60-target guy for this team? I may have to replace the production from WR Moe Bernal and his infuriating combo of 100 personality and 0 route running. He wants $10m and I just might not have it to spend. Same goes for PR/WR Ramon Mathews who basically brings nothing to the on-field table other than a decent PR rating around 60.

I mean, I fully expect the targets will focus on WR1 Franz, TE1 Weydahl, and WR2 Stocz, basically in that order... but last year there were still around 140 WR targets past that list. Worth getting some legit production out of them, right? The other young candidate is WR Allen Slade who at least has legit GD skills for inside work, but I'm warming up to Courage as important on those inside routes, so I'm wary of using him a lot in the slot.

Anyhow... we'll sort out WR, but it's one of those tricky positions that definitely matters, but I don't have a clear path ahead with.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #808
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fun side note here. 4 of my 5 starting linemen are stronger in run blocking than in pass blocking. For the team that passes for more yards than anyone, and whose GM whispers rotten things about the very nature of the running game. Odd flex.

But is that just a bias I don't realize...I like a big bar for run blocking? Is it the nature of the position, that as a value shopper I end up with these guys after the league gets the serious pass protectors ahead of me? Or it this just happenstance?

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-23-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #809
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, early FA wraps, draft picks come aboard for their sneak peek. So, where are we now?

First - we nailed down two more returning free agents, FB Lusignan (special teams star) and DT Neill (affinity/cohesion guy). I also floated a team-friendly minsal deal to RB Colby Styles, who would give us nothing for chemistry, but who might be a better RB and PR than what we're looking at paying $15m across two positions for. So, he's sort of a Plan C here.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-24-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #810
QuikSand
lolzcat

Rookies' Lookies:

RB Schweigert is a mixed bag. Fully maxed out as Breakaway, so a legit big play guy. 46/63 in hole rec is solid, but not spectacular. 30/47 in Endurance is disappointing, and allegedly really important even for part-time RBs (or players?). And, his KR rating is 55/70...definitely good enough to take over those duties, which I wanted, but not necessarily good enough to make him a star without a lot of ST support.

So, my takeaway there? A click lesser of a player than I had hoped for, but still such an obviously good fit that I'm pleased. Probably more of a 2nd round talent, but so it goes. The C I had hoped for no longer looks that close to being max potential, so I guess we did okay. (Chem 93/72)

K Marion Thomas looks good, but not eternal, which is what I ordinarily would really demand of a 2nd round draft pick for a fucking kicker. He likely develops into a 80/60/70/60 player - the sort that other teams seemingly are willing to pay 3x minsal for, but not my teams. So, a miss, overall. Could have had a decent linebacker, but was not having any sort of blue pill reaction to that, tbh. I really just need to be dealing away these flotsam picks.

TE Mason Fouts is going to be pretty useless. Great. No reason to think he can bump past his now-medoicre ratings that are mostly in the 35-55 range, so if he's a 45/45 overall I guess he could be a TE2 who doesn't play special teams. On this team, in this league, that's worth close to nothing. (Chem 18/66)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #811
QuikSand
lolzcat

..and by the way, if there's a side market for players to end up with the highest total yards from scrimmage this season, let's see if we can get 15-1 on Mr. Braunschweiger. Methinks between kickoff returns and being our main-duty RB, he could easily end up in the thick of that race.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #812
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, we are "active" in late free agency, but expecting to really shape the team a lot here. TBH it's been three days since I prepared the file, and I don't recall that much.

Anyway, here are the moves we DID make, with annotations:

SS Cole Austin

Late FA Stage 1

turned down a contract offer: 4yrs, $60,000,000.

-with our free agent signing, i have the luxury of exposing him to free agency next offseason, may do that

C Kelvin Borrelli

Late FA Stage 1

released

-displaced as starter, chem too low to keep around

TE Eddie Breeden

Late FA Stage 1

signed as an unrestricted free agent from New Orleans: 2yrs, $7,040,000.

4th year guy w no special teams... hmmm

QB Andrew Fitzgerald

Late FA Stage 1

signed as an unrestricted free agent from New Orleans: 2yrs, $6,210,000.

-3rd year guy to watch here, sleeper as "developmental" keeper

RB Edwin Bush

Late FA Stage 1

turned down a contract offer: 1yrs, $2,900,000.

-dang, tried a pile of 1yr money to entice him, looked promising

RB Raul Pile

Late FA Stage 1

signed as a free agent: 2yrs, $4,680,000.

-a breakaway/elusiveness guy who won't make the cut

RB Mercury Stabenow

Late FA Stage 1

-a mixed bag guy who also won't make the cut

RT Drake Hardy

Late FA Stage 1

-one of those two-important-bar-void guys I tend to kick tires on...

LDE Logan Mulitalo

Late FA Stage 1

-potentially intriguing, but do we start him? unlikely

WLB Giovanni Roybal

Late FA Stage 1

-same story, though not totally inconceivable we'd rotate this guy in

FL Ramon Matthews

Late FA Stage 2

re-signed as an unrestricted free agent

-for 2yr MINSAL, that's sweet... as we can't find an improvement, he'll do

RB Glenn Podolyak

Late FA Stage 2

re-signed as an unrestricted free agent

-HERE YOU GO CHAS

SS Calvin Conley

Late FA Stage 3

signed as an unrestricted free agent from Carolina: 2yrs, $7,060,000.

-wow, a decent 4th year guy with 99 personality and 7 starts just falls into our lap

...and by twist of fate, we landed right at 70 players, needing every one of those rejections to stay in our lane and avoid a multi-offender penalty. So, that's good.

SILB Edgar Peterson

Late FA Stage 3

signed as an unrestricted free agent from Buffalo: 1yrs, $4,600,000.

RB Scottie Writer

Late FA Stage 3

turned down a contract offer: 2yrs, $6,600,000.

FB Howie Burden

Late FA Stage 3

FL Ben Knight

Late FA Stage 3

LG Calvin Cannida

Late FA Stage 3

Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #813
QuikSand
lolzcat

Uh oh, trouble for RB Podolyak. Chas, you might want to look away.

He's taken the laurels as the chemistry leader (4th year guy, 72 leadership, 20 personality) over my gimp guy (11th/52/93). Not good. Podolyak is on a one year no bonus deal (heh) so this won't hurt our bottom line if we cut him... need to sort out based on chem and talent what to do here.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #814
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, sitting at 70 players, looking toward camp. Have a chem problem in the RB/FB group that needs attention.

First, with WR Mathews back so cheaply, I'm cutting my non-affinity PR/RB Colby Styles. Best if we just forget that ever happened. 69 now and room to add someone.

For the RB group, we have Schweigert as the build-around guy, he's a 4/5 guy and is 93/72. So, in theory, after this season he could actually become our chem leader if we were to go young there. FB Lusignan (4-5, 15, 86) is a cohesion and special teams guy who adds value both ways and gets onto the field, I'd really prefer to keep him around. Our QB trio are all 6-7 guys. All signs point toward the same thing - we need an adequate 2-3 group leader here.

The simple short term plan is just to release RB Podolyak. That puts our gimp guy back in the lead role. Pressure on Liverwurst to get it done as the do-everything back in his rookie season, as he'd be backed up by one of the URFA dudes or perhaps the "Swinger" Vince Vaughn.

Splashing around to see if there's any other candidate out there who might compete with the Vaughn/rookie option for Rb2 this year. I don't think I can save Podolyak.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #815
QuikSand
lolzcat

The RB Solution

Minor trade, bring us a guy with enough talent to contribute, and potentially saves Podolyak's ass.

Jaylen Roberts

Best guess now is that we keep Roberts active and involved, use Schweigert as the RB1, and perhaps keep Podolyak as a utility guy. One FB will be active, used as a gunner, but we'll plug in a TE to actually play fullback.

Net effect of all this: still 4 roster slots dedicated to RB/FB, but now all 4 active (net +1). Chemistry effects likely will suffer, as Roberts as the new group leader will only carry an 80 personality, he replaces a guy with 99.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #816
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Whew... a roller coaster of emotion over those 4 posts... LOL
Old 04-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #817
QuikSand
lolzcat

Heh, I think if I had landed that rookie Bush, Podolyak would be out of a job. Instead, I'm spending draft capital to find a way to get him 100+ touches. Funny how it goes sometimes.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #818
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, training camp is in the books.

The BELCo "Delightful Dandies" has two of my players - undrafted rookies, natch - on the list, albeit fairly low. So, we will keep an eye on LB Roybal and RB Stabenow. Both look fairly far away from being starters, so even with a +5 in preseason (or something like that), they might not be ready to go.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #819
QuikSand
lolzcat

My scout doesn't care for Liverwurst as much as the league scout does - I think that's a bad sign. Regardless, I'll try to accentuate the positive... the big bars that I drafted him for are:

Ours League Rating
100+ 100+ Breakaway Speed
48/60 63 Hole Recognition
57/68 68 Kick Returning
31/44 47 Endurance

So, we'll take it, I guess. Again, he looks like a top-75 talent rather than trade-up-for-pick 1.22, but so it goes.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #820
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmm, I had a full thread about my cutdown to 60, but lost it. Alas.

Suffice it to say... RB is thinned, TE is still bloated. We've got 3-4 TEs contending for 1-2 roster slots, need to see some direction. With TE Weydahl likely to retire or dissolve soon, that's becoming a high priority position to target.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #821
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, it's "the file" day. Need to cut down for the regular season, get everything tended to, and submit "the file" for the year.

After losing ST star CB Metzenbaum to retirement, we are going to have to dig a bit deeper among our roster for the active/inactive line on special teams. I did a first pass just so I don't overlook it again, but I'm guessing the line will be in the 80s, rather than the 90s.

Notes on difficult cutdown decisions:

-RB/FB appears set, with FB Lusignan, and a trio at RB, all of whom will get touches. Hard cut got made last stage. Podolyak makes the team.

-TE is tricky, as I'm thinking about the future a bit. Furr is super high chemistry at 95, solid 83 special teams, he's a click away in both regards from being a TE3 forever. Instead, he's bubbled. Austin was a guy we loved, but he's about a year away from taking the chem lead and getting cut anyway. Eddie Breeden has two ratings (79 RR, 48 BPR) and does that make him TE1 next year? 39/41 overall, he's a very incomplete player. Rookie Fouts slid in preseason 57 to 48, my scout now says 45, nothing encouraging there.

At LB, we're very old - best guys are at Exp 11,9,12. Youth infusion would be helpful. But guys are marginal...I haven't really hit with limited draft capital. Rookie Roybal bumps in camp, now looks 32/46 and like a decent ILB prospect... 3rd year guy Peterson is 28/41, better coverage for outside, and 86 personality. Don't love squeezing starts for both guys this year, so ... what?

-At QB is young 20/39 Andrew Fitzgerald honestly good enough to figure into our QB1 plans in a couple of years? We'd have to keep 3x QB for him to stick and gain starts... does that make sense?

Okay... that's much of the setup for this year. The last couple cutdowns are going to be brutal, I fear.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #822
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quick notes on special teams. Who's encouraged, by position group:

QB
RB
FB 100
TE 90 89
WR 90
OL
PK
DL 96
LB 96 83
CB 93 88 81
S

Hmmm...my first draft here included only 8 players "encouraged." Not enough? Need 10, in theory, right? (One K/P/KR/PR plus a cadre from there?)

I add back in my 83 LB and 81 CB, brings down the average a bit, but seems like it's now less likely it just spins the wheel and drags in one of these 24-rated RB or whatnot.

Next season, will try to add one more ST ace someplace.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-29-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #823
QuikSand
lolzcat

File is in. WR Mathews keeps his job as PR and chemistry guy, but it was close. Both young LB stay, I think they both get some time this year, and might even get 8 starts. Both should factor into my LB3/4/5/6 thinking for a couple years down the line.

I'd guess we are a bye week team. I hope this RB thing makes a difference, and that my tending to details like special team assignments will be another nudge in the right direction. We are getting old as hell, but that's by design.

12-4, #2 seed, legit shot for the whole thing.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #824
QuikSand
lolzcat

Awaiting results from the regular season.

Some idle speculation on the "All Purpose Yards" race. Where might Liverwurst end up here?

My stab at his stats for the year:

Rushing 200-900y on 4.5 ypc
Receiving 50T-40R-300y on 6.0 ypt
KickRet 30-750y on 25.0 avg
---
1,950 total yards from scrimmage
...that would put him the top ten last season, but not near the very top.

A "crushed it" year from him (either this season or at some point) might look like:

1400 rushing
500 receiving
900 kickoffs
----
2800 total yards

...and that would put him into the mix for the top spot overall, in this league.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #825
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, guess we have to do some digging into "what happened?"

GML: Baltimore Ravens 2115

9-7 and a weak-ass division title? What went wrong?

Notes:
Surface stats for offense look okay, weird...
Teddy had a routine year, 3rd highest passer score, about right
Receiver targets spread fairly, all around 7 ypt zone, okay not great
(Crazy stat line for WR Slade, big boom or bust guy)
Run game was fine, split between Liverwurst and Roberts, both around 4.5ypc
-1 turnover margin, not bad enough to be "the problem"
Pass rush was mid-pack (20.2%), that's just not good enough
We gave up 6.32 ypa - that's solid but not enough apparently

Overall takeaway... I don't know why we didn't win 11+ games. I think we would have in a median run of multiple trials. So it goes, I guess.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #826
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Dang... not a good season to have a statistical anomaly here at the tail end of this period...
Old 04-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #827
QuikSand
lolzcat

Right, exactly. I gave a decent look for oddball stuff like too many sacks or whatnot, and I think it's just lousy luck.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #828
QuikSand
lolzcat

Return game analysis:

Our returns:
PR 17.4 (1st)
KR 25.7 (10th)

Returns allowed:
PR 9.3 (17th)
KR 23.1 (18th)

So, not dominant, except for the magic man, punt returner Ramon Mathews and his virtually non-existent skill set.

For context, it's been 40 years since this league had a punt returner with an average in the same tier as Mathews and his 15.6 average. If we only counted the seasons he played in Baltimore, Mathews would be #1 all time, north of 18 yards per return. Crazy.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #829
QuikSand
lolzcat

Special Teams snaps:

QB no errant snaps
RB Roberts 78, Podolyak 78, Schweigert 77 - all "not encouraged"
FB Lusignan 378 (correct, he's ST 100 and encouraged, should max out)
TE Barrett 370 (89, few real snaps), Weydahl 276 (90, heavy load), Austin 77 (30, not enc)
WR Stocz 274 (95, enc, starter), Mathews 94 mostly PRs

OL starters G Darby and Foreman, T Shepherd and backup T Dotson all in for 121 (long snaps?), all not encouraged

DE Anthony 101 (96, enc, heavy load), another 100 across other DL (not enc)
LB Tanner 320 (96 enc heavy), Layman 296 (83 enc medium), Rossini 200 (90 enc light), 60 more scattered
CB Baskerville 254 (88 enc light), Wordehoff 249 (93 enc light), Slechta 203 (81 end heavy)
S 60 or so scattered, nobody encouraged
Old 05-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #830
QuikSand
lolzcat

Postseason:

http://gml.fof-belco.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post57138

We win two games, then get pasted in the conf championship game. WTG Houston, they win it all.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #831
QuikSand
lolzcat

Whoa. Five retirements. Four are special teams aces. Ouch. Our era of being really heavy there may have just ended. Big cohesion hit, too.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #832
QuikSand
lolzcat

Retirements include: (ST rating, regular usage)

TE Barrett 370 (89, few real snaps)
LB Rossini 200 (90 enc light)
CB Baskerville 254 (88 enc light)
CB Wordehoff 249 (93 enc light)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #833
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Well... your playoff success sort of shakes out and balances the regular season W/L...

That's a lot of retirements and sort of reinforces this "era" being on it's final legs...
Old 05-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #834
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, new season reset. We'll start with the annual headcount:

25 players currently signed
02 restricted FAs we expect to re-sign
07 picks in this year's draft
---
34 players basically "in hand"
04 free agenst for my team that nobody else could possibly want(?)
---
38 players all but on our team for this year

So... 15 slots to fill. My roster distribution list is full of red ink.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #835
QuikSand
lolzcat

Plan A - keep it together as long as we can

Basically, my default here will be to to re-up where I can with "my guys." A veteran minsal player costs around $2.9m in cap space, with base salary of about $4.9m. So, guys asking for $6-8m per year are not fat cats in this fast-moving league, they're just seeking to be a click or two over the minimum. But that makes our seemingly impressive $300m in cap space a bit less so.

Anyway... if I were to re-up with all the guys like NT Pete Neill (9th year, virtually no skills left, seeking $9m/yr) and CB Schlechta (11th year, still rotation-caliber, wants $12m/yr) I will probably fill up my roster to... maybe 48 players.

Here's the full roster, from my recently re-built text printer dump:

Code:
Front Office Football Eight Baltimore Ravens Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Start Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct Schweigert, Bernie 222 RB 2 43 47 3 yrs. Franz, Brad 517 FL 8 63 63 3 yrs. Thomas, Mario 1003K 2 68 85 3 yrs. Wilson, Jeremiah 1649SS 7 56 56 3 yrs. Stocz, Lonnie 512 SE 3 57 57 2 yrs. Foreman, Donald 771 LG 9 60 60 2 yrs. Darby, Donnie 760 RG 9 54 54 2 yrs. Shepherd, Tyrus 863 LT 6 86 86 2 yrs. Frederick, Edwin 904 P 8 45 45 2 yrs. Mealey, Terrell 1191LDE 8 35 35 2 yrs. Randolph, Renaldo 1415SLB 10 59 59 2 yrs. Douglas, Riley 1623FS 11 61 61 2 yrs. Farrell, Teddy 102 QB 14 42 42 1 yr. Lusignan, Jackson 338 FB 12 6 6 1 yr. Dugas, Aiden 589 FL 3 42 47 1 yr. Matthews, Ramon 586 FL 12 11 11 1 yr. Hoover, Norman 588 SE 8 2 2 1 yr. Cebelak, Moe 665 C 6 49 49 1 yr. Pearson, Isaac 1190LDE 6 40 40 1 yr. Roybal, Giovanni 1350WILB 2 39 49 1 yr. Wilkerson, Shane 1345WILB 4 24 24 1 yr. Conway, Emmanuel 1529LCB 4 42 42 1 yr. Gallop, Samuel 1541LCB 4 32 32 1 yr. Thomas, Thomas 1636SS 10 16 16 1 yr. Conley, Calvin 1639FS 5 43 43 1 yr. Bryant, Richie 109 QB 9 28 28 --- Roberts, Jaylen 247 RB 5 50 50 --- Podolyak, Glenn 234 RB 5 42 42 --- Weydahl, Arturo 480 TE 11 43 43 --- Austin, Ronald 484 TE 6 35 35 --- Slade, Allen 585 FL 6 25 25 --- Conway, Marco 581 SE 5 29 29 --- Terrell, Conrad 666 C 10 2 5 --- Dotson, Joey 867 LT 10 16 16 --- Tompkins, Heath 875 RT 5 60 60 --- Anthony, Ethan 1198LDE 7 50 50 --- Banks, DeAndre 1193RDE 9 45 45 --- Calhoun, Ramon 1295NT 13 37 37 --- Neill, Pete 1297NT 9 35 35 --- Tanner, Jermaine 1305SILB 12 66 66 --- Layman, Caiden 1354SILB 13 44 44 --- Peterson, Edgar 1325SILB 4 32 49 --- Brotzman, Tucker 1352WILB 9 38 38 --- Sumner, Floyd 1458WLB 6 45 45 --- Slechta, Eugene 1528LCB 11 47 47 --- Creel, Harris 1531RCB 3 27 29 --- Austin, Cole 1642SS 9 50 50 --- Tamburrino, Toby 669 LS 6 17 17 --- $$ - player is suspended, ## - player is inactive, ** = player is injured, %% - player is on IR. Players Under Contract: 25 Inactive: 0 On Active Roster: 25 Salary Cap: $679,500,000 Cap Room: $324,750,000 Maximum for New Player: $300,170,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $2,460,000 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Required Next Year: $247,300,000

The re-signing candidates, without commentary on how aggressively I'd have to pursue, seem like:

Code:
Bryant, Richie 109 QB 9 28 28 --- Roberts, Jaylen 247 RB 5 50 50 --- Podolyak, Glenn 234 RB 5 42 42 --- Weydahl, Arturo 480 TE 11 43 43 --- Austin, Ronald 484 TE 6 35 35 --- Slade, Allen 585 FL 6 25 25 --- Conway, Marco 581 SE 5 29 29 --- Dotson, Joey 867 LT 10 16 16 --- Anthony, Ethan 1198LDE 7 50 50 --- Neill, Pete 1297NT 9 35 35 --- Tanner, Jermaine 1305SILB 12 66 66 --- Peterson, Edgar 1325SILB 4 32 49 --- Brotzman, Tucker 1352WILB 9 38 38 --- Sumner, Floyd 1458WLB 6 45 45 --- Slechta, Eugene 1528LCB 11 47 47 --- Creel, Harris 1531RCB 3 27 29 --- Austin, Cole 1642SS 9 50 50 --- Tamburrino, Toby 669 LS 6 17 17 ---

Hmmm...if we re-up with all those cats, we end up at 54 players, assuming we do bring in 7 rookies. And that is before we sort out some of the guys I didn't include above as "no brainers" to at least pursue, like RT Tompkins and DE Anthony.

Okay... that's the general setup, before I wade in to even look at the free agency market for this offseason.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #836
QuikSand
lolzcat

File sent for big initial stage. 24 FA offers. Gulp.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #837
QuikSand
lolzcat

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LCB Alfred Harvey
2 years, $8,160,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $3.7M, $4.4M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LDE Jimmie Keith
4 years, $76,000,000 (Bonus: $40K. Salary: $19.0M, $19.0M, $19.0M, $19.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
NT Aaron Stevens
3 years, $54,000,000 (Bonus: $36.0M. Salary: $6.0M, $6.0M, $6.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
SILB Jermaine Tanner
2 years, $34,000,000 (Bonus: $24.0M. Salary: $5.0M, $5.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RT Heath Tompkins
4 years, $100,000,000 (Bonus: $80.0M. Salary: $5.0M, $5.0M, $5.0M, $5.0M.)

Lots to see here. Re-signings were important but uncontested - no shock. We felt very thin along the DL, so Keith and Stevens should give us a solid rotation, though neither should be an impact pass rusher.

But the tone is set. Maintain and extend our window as best we can. I will likely again look to compress our draft, I just don't see room here for 7 rookies. There will be some more active slots up for grabs, with all the retirements of low-skill special teamers, though.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #838
QuikSand
lolzcat

RB group returns for this season, with both Roberts (leader) and Podolyak (utility guy and fan fave) agreeing to new contracts.

Last year, we ended up with a serious split of RB duties:

Player..............Snaps R+P....Rush-Yds-YPC.....Targets-Rec-Yds-YPT
Liverwurst........119+236......100-439-4.39.....14-10-72-5.14
Roberts............129+302......100-452-4.52.....29-16-192-6.62
Podolyak...........75+190........55-268-4.87......23-15-99-4.30

So, sample sizes there small enough to leave this as a three-way toss-up in my mind, and likely a similar split for the year ahead. I'd like for us to be holding more big leads and triggering more rushes, but... who knows.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-06-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #839
QuikSand
lolzcat

Body count:

33 players signed to contracts
21 free agents where we are in the lead
07 draft picks for this year in hand (but have a nibble to deal some)
---
62 working head count

Yeah, we are not going to be starving for players. We are just committed to players that hardly anyone else has any time for.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #840
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We are just committed to players that hardly anyone else has any time for.

I'm off to re-read my copy of Moneyball
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #841
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
I'm off to re-read my copy of Moneyball

Quikky Sande?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #842
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's funny. Reading your thread always makes me want to dip my toe back into FOF. Then I remember that I tend to dislike the game as soon as I give it a try because I have no clue how to do things anymore, especially in the draft. Maybe I could do a solo career to give myself some shred of competence and then take it to an OD where the fun really starts.

But probably not. But just building a team to do what I want it to (rather than chasing the crazy offenses of Tzach) sounds fun in theory...

The other problem being that my daughter ties up my laptop a lot at night with Roblox, making life harder if I do try to play.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #843
QuikSand
lolzcat

Flattering, thanks
Old 05-07-2020, 05:29 AM   #844
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, I went to bed basically knowing that my best-chem-fit-guy was almost definitely gonna fall to my pick at 1.29, just two picks away...

Quote:

New England: pyser takes C Broderick Drake with the 1.27 pick.

Run Blocking71<->100
Pass Blocking57<->86
Blocking Strength71<->100
Endurance71<->100

HT
WT
RAW
ADJ
DASH
SOL
BENCH
AGI
BRJU
POS
%DEV
-

Oh. The last human pick ends up being my guy. Got it. Dammit.

Anyway, I end up taking a good-looking DL, albeit perhaps not the usual pass-rush focused guy I typically go for:

Quote:

Baltimore: QuikSand takes DE Juan Helming with the 1.29 pick.

Run Defense72<->100
Pass Rush Technique30<->58
Pass Rush Strength72<->100
Man-to-Man Defense36<->64
Zone Defense50<->78
Bump-and-Run Defense51<->79
Play Diagnosis60<->87
Punishing Hitter72<->100
Endurance68<->96
Special Teams44<->72

HT
WT
RAW
ADJ
DASH
SOL
BENCH
AGI
BRJU
POS
%DEV
-
-
-
-
-

Combine skippers tend to slide when Ben's AI does the auto-drafting...so he looks okay to me. Two maxed-out static bars are supposedly a good sign, right? Anyway, he should be, at worst, a guy we plug in at DT/DE in most situations, and let him grind out some solid, quiet production.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #845
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free agency continues.

We narrowly, and I mean NARROWLY, miss out on a really nice-looking TE who would have been a chem fit and a build-around guy, albeit a low-endurance one...

TE Duane Settlemaier

I bit 4/158, lost out to the incumbent team's 4/160. Dammit. I had the cap space to go to 42 or 44 or whatever, just... didn't. I win close calls all the time, here I lose one.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #846
QuikSand
lolzcat

It is a very busy stage, though:

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LDE Ethan Anthony
3 years, $27,000,000 (Bonus: $13.5M. Salary: $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RDE DeAndre Banks
2 years, $13,000,000 (Bonus: $4.0M. Salary: $4.5M, $4.5M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RB Eugene Breedlove
3 years, $18,000,000 (Bonus: $30K. Salary: $6.0M, $6.0M, $6.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WILB Tucker Brotzman
3 years, $13,800,000 (Bonus: $60K. Salary: $4.4M, $4.4M, $4.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Richie Bryant
3 years, $13,800,000 (Bonus: $60K. Salary: $4.4M, $4.4M, $4.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LT Juan Bullock
2 years, $6,260,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.9M, $3.3M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
NT Ramon Calhoun
1 year, $6,500,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $6.5M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RT Drake Hardy
2 years, $5,480,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RT Seth Langley
2 years, $7,480,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $3.7M, $3.7M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WLB Eddie Schultz
3 years, $39,000,000 (Bonus: $25.5M. Salary: $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
TE Arturo Weydahl
2 years, $14,000,000 (Bonus: $4.0M. Salary: $5.0M, $5.0M.)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #847
QuikSand
lolzcat

Non-obvious commentary on transactions:

LB Schultz is a key signing for us. Need position, 5th year guy, good enough to start but not star. Some potential as a pass rusher, but for us more likely just a rotation WLB I think.

The OL cheap signings are just splashing around for a guy to plug in for affinity purposes. We already locked up Tompkins at RT, for better or worse - though OT remains a potential draft target (I think two of my top ten rookies right now in my draft queue are tackles).

TE Weydahl comes back for $7m/yr, no other offers. He's greatly valuable to us, not much to anyone else. TE1, ST asset, and cohesion monster. Guess we'll plug him in for another round of 100+ targets, since we failed at grabbing his replacement.

We are still the leading bidder on 10 more guys out there in free agency. But the core of this roster is coming together fine, albeit pretty boring.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #848
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well that was a fun back and forth. i nabbed the C you eyed in the draft, you got the OLB I thought I would easily get (and outbid you but you but I didnt go bonus-heavy enough). good show.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #849
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
well that was a fun back and forth. i nabbed the C you eyed in the draft, you got the OLB I thought I would easily get (and outbid you but you but I didnt go bonus-heavy enough). good show.

yeah, it happens... with the two of us more than our fair share, i reckon
Old 05-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #850
QuikSand
lolzcat

A little more drama in the 2nd round... I make a small offer to trade up from 2.29 to 2.26 to take a pass rusher. He accepts it, but I'm not there to, uh, re-confirm? So he goes ahead and... takes my guy. Weird.

Anyway, I take a big-bars low-development tackle at 2.29. The draft thread didn't work for some reason, so I don't have anything to post here...wide range of possible outcomes here. If he's really maxed-out in both Run and Pass Blocking, great. Of not, then he's probably just another phony 23/67 guys who ends up 43/43 and mediocre.