Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
21C
College Prospect

Ideas - Computers in High Schools

Looking for some help. My high school has some government money coming to it to spend specifically on computers. I am on the committee to help decide how to spend the money.

We currently have three dedicated computer rooms that seem to get used extensively, computers in the library, a couple of trolleys with laptops that can be taken to classrooms on a needs basis and some classrooms with computers around the sides.

We have considered doing the same as some other schools where they have given out netbooks to all students but thought that this would be a logistical nightmare of broken computers and recharging issues. One of the teachers on the committee wanted to buy iPads.

I'm looking for some ideas. I don't really what the best option is for spending the money. I'd like to get some ideas to take along to the meetings. How do some of your high schools implement computers and technology in the classroom?

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
StLee
High School Varsity

I don't know if this is something that is logistically possible, but the best tech teaching classrooms I have been in had a powerful computer with large screens and projectors (or oversized monitors) where I could supplement all of my classes with Powerpoints, videos, and student-made projects (videos, ppts, web sites, etc.).

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736

Last edited by StLee : 03-12-2011 at 05:01 AM.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whatever you do don't spend it on pron, that shit is free on the interwebs
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

I think you need to ask yourself (1) what will the computers be used for and (2) how will you support it.

I support StLee in having one in classrooms to allow for projection but only if the teachers know how to use them. If you guys have labs and that has worked for you then it may be the best option.

For support, if its already in place, then you are all set. If not, possibly contract with a local PC vendor?

I would stay away from iPads, netbooks, and notebooks. PC's will last longer, cost less, and give you expandability options in exchange for portability (which probably isn't needed in a school environment).

Also, tell your procurement folks to check out deal websites vs buying blindly at dell.com or hp.com. You can really get good deals if you look for them.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Smartboards. Our MS is going to these. What a great tool for the classroom.
These are incredible. I havent used one extensively. But our Math and Language Arts teachers do. They give quizzes on them. The kids all get a handheld keypad. The question comes up in the smartboard. Kid enters answer. Instant feedback and data for the teacher.
Also, You can use your hand to write on it. It is hooked up to a computer. So many applications.

Great technology for the school.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Smartboards.

Meanwhile that's the very thing I was about to warn against.

They were all the rage with systems/schools - both public & private - around here for several years but now several of those are questioning the decision, some even quietly starting to phase them out after discovering a range of problems from maintenance to practicality (mostly the wiring iirc) to inconsistencies in teacher usage spanning too much to too little (some didn't touch them, others turned them into the modern version of coaches-showing-filmstrips-instead-of-teaching). Completely anecdotal, just the product of pretty randomly having ended up at lunch with 3 school system IT administrators a few months back & hearing them discuss them for a good 20 minutes. Two were pretty unhappy, the third was more neutral. If you do go that route, I'd recommend very comprehensive pre-planning that included significant amount of conversation with districts that have used them for a prolonged period. Once the honeymoon is over & that new car smell is gone, my sense is that the feelings about them change quite a bit.

As for the netbook thing, what I've learned as a parent in a school where they're issued to everyone in Gr 5-12 -- probably 600 or so kids - is that there is indeed a steady stream of repair, as well as a constant replacement cycle (currently 1/3 of the units are replaced each year) that makes it a long term commitment beyond the initial purchase. In our case, that burden is handled with a mandatory annual "lease" payment that amounts to each parent paying roughly 1.5x the value of the unit over the course of three years. They're incredibly valuable IMO, literally constant companions to every student that has them & used daily in virtually every class, but the cost is not insignificant by any means.

My own two cents would be to look for specific areas of instruction to target for expanded capabilities. For example, our A/V department could definitely use several new units to upgrade their ability for video editing, same dept could use three new laptops to expand our webcasting capabilities, adding a dedicated laptop or two for the drama dept would make it easier for them to interact with the A/V dept, and so forth. I don't know your school, so obviously the specifics will be different but the idea is the same, looking for specific ways that you can expand/improve what you currently do. By keeping the usage more compartmentalized it seems possible that it could ultimately be more sustainable as well, upgrades/replacements become piecemeal rather than en masse.

And in a completely different vein, if these would qualify for the money, one of the most popular things I've seen in our classrooms has been the addition of two mid-range flip cams dedicated for every grade. They're used to document projects, trips, etc., providing extra engagement for the students while also letting them work on valuable skills like presentation, editing, etc.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
21C
College Prospect

Thanks, guys. This is all great stuff.

I forgot to mention that we also have about 20 smartboards throughout the school. The money is supposed to buy computers for students use so there is essentially one computer for each child.

I don't know if the principal already has decided how to spend the money or if the committee is going to be making the decision. If we have a real say then I want to make sure that the computers really get used. I don't want us to order a whole lot of computers that just sit there gathering dust. The other thing I'm worried about is that we spend this money on technology but it is useless unless we have teachers that know how to use it. I don't know if there is any money for training.

I appreciate all of the input.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Out of curiosity, how many students at the school we're talking about?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've done work in some high schools. The ones with money do desktop virtualization on the backend and terminals in each class. Makes it much easier to recover from both software and hardware shenanigans. Costs more up front, far far less over the long haul.

Others just buy basic Dell/HP low end desktops and rely on their support and the school's PC support to keep them running. Need to have a imaging infrastructure in place and some techs to keep things running relativley smooth.

How mobile are you looking though? I honestly couldn't imagine trusting a mass of students with mobile laptops and/or netbooks. And I've worked with some upper class public schools. In the end it depends on the money you have and the current infrastructure in place.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
21C
College Prospect

We have 1000 students in Years 7 to 10 (12 to 16 year olds). It is a non-government Catholic high school with 80% of our income coming from federal and state funding. I honestly don't know the money we have to spend but it sounds like it is in the neighbourhood of 200+ computers.

I also don't know if the money is just for desktops and/or notebooks but I'll have a better idea after the meeting on Monday. All of this money is coming from the federal government so every school is in the same position as us. Somehow I think we need to investigate how other schools are spending their money - what works and what doesn't.

We had considered going fully mobile but I think the general consensus has been that this is too fraught with potential problems. We are currently trying to decide whether to spend all of the money on desktops (and where those need to go) or to spend some on notebooks/netbooks (and how exactly they are to be used).

This thread is helping me come up with some notes that I can take in to the meeting.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd try to get in touch with a local IT VAR, someone with experience with this stuff. Get them onsite, tell them what you have to work with and they should be able to pitch 2 or 3 ideas, go over the pros and cons of each and answer questions. It's a pre-sales pitch, shouldn't cost any money.

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd be bugging you to get my company onsite .

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I honestly couldn't imagine trusting a mass of students with mobile laptops and/or netbooks. And I've worked with some upper class public schools.

I had the same reaction but have been amazed at our kids/campus environment. They literally leave them lying all over campus ... haven't had a theft in several years. And the damage/loss rate has been pretty minimal, less overall than what I've seen in professional environments. It's completely blown my mind how well it actually works, but of course every situation is different.

Now lost power cords, that's a whole different story (I hope to God we're buying those in bulk).
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've watched kids unscrew the wireless antennas from wireless cards and take mouse balls and toss them, just to fuck with things.

I don't know, maybe they figure they won't get in trouble for something small like that but screwing with laptops crosses the line?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

Our principal is talking about going the Kindle route. Supposedly you can buy textbooks on it for like $2 per copy. They would get them in 6th and 7th grade then the kids take them with them. Not sure of all the details, as he is not in the process yet. Just dreaming.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I've watched kids unscrew the wireless antennas from wireless cards and take mouse balls and toss them, just to fuck with things.

I'm under the impression that our kids know they'd be hung, drawn, and quartered if they fucked with something like a wireless card antenna.

It's very, well, weird is probably a fair enough word. As parents, we actually have to remind the students that the environment on campus is NOT the norm, that if you leave stuff of even nominal value just lying around most places that it won't be there when you return. Meanwhile the bubble that seems to hover over the campus has kids routinely leaving laptops in the library or in the hallways overnight, it's not unusual to find them sitting outside for a couple of hours after school, etc. I've found bookbags/ backpacks sitting outside at night, all kinds of stuff. These students do NOT have an adequate amount of paranoia, not by a long shot. Like I said, it's just weird.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I forgot to mention that we also have about 20 smartboards throughout the school. The money is supposed to buy computers for students use so there is essentially one computer for each child.

I don't want us to order a whole lot of computers that just sit there gathering dust. The other thing I'm worried about is that we spend this money on technology but it is useless unless we have teachers that know how to use it. I don't know if there is any money for training.

My job is to do technology planning and integration at a JK-12 school. And I can say that what you've posted above is a huge red flag to me.

Going 1:1 without professional development is not a recipe for a successful program. The most important work that needs to be done falls under preparing the faculty to properly utilize these tools in instruction, so I hesitate to even comment on the various +s and -s of different 1:1 models (including iPad/Tablet).

That said it sounds like you're moving forward with this plan and so I would HIGHLY recommend you take advantage of Educational Collaborators free 1:1 Readiness Survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...Sqp_2fxQ_3d_3d. You then get a free 1 hour phone call going over their analysis of your survey. EC does offer consulting services as well, but the 1:1 is less sales pitch and more about the analysis. They obviously hope you're impressed enough with their work to hire them. I have no direct ties to the company, other than knowing about the quality of their work.

If you have questions drop me a PM and I would be happy to talk with you some further.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 03-13-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
We have 1000 students in Years 7 to 10 (12 to 16 year olds). It is a non-government Catholic high school with 80% of our income coming from federal and state funding. I honestly don't know the money we have to spend but it sounds like it is in the neighbourhood of 200+ computers.

I also don't know if the money is just for desktops and/or notebooks but I'll have a better idea after the meeting on Monday. All of this money is coming from the federal government so every school is in the same position as us. Somehow I think we need to investigate how other schools are spending their money - what works and what doesn't.

We had considered going fully mobile but I think the general consensus has been that this is too fraught with potential problems. We are currently trying to decide whether to spend all of the money on desktops (and where those need to go) or to spend some on notebooks/netbooks (and how exactly they are to be used).

This thread is helping me come up with some notes that I can take in to the meeting.

Obviously should have finished reading the thread before posting.

I would still argue you're approaching this problem backwards. It's great that you have a pile of money coming your way to get computers. The first thing that you need to do is figure out what instructional purpose you're hoping the technology could solve. What do you want students doing with them?

Given my knowledge of parochial schools, having taught in one for 2 years, I would consider some combination of higher end computers to create a media lab and a whole bunch of cheap computers to create opportunities for basic word processing/internet.

Would still be happy to talk further if you'd like about the specifics of your school.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #18
21C
College Prospect

Had the meeting today. Very early days but this is the general gist of where we are heading. It seems like the head office (oversees about 10 Catholic high schools in our area) just wants to buy a load of laptops and give them out to all students. Thankfully our principal is a little more sensible and has a four year plan.

Year 1 (this year) - come up with specifics of implementation, basically what our committee is doing.
Year 2 - run a pilot scheme with a couple of classes getting laptops to iron out any general problems.
Year 3 - increase number of classes.
Year 4 - greater runout - a whole year with other years rolling on afterwards.

By the sounds of it, we are limited to Windows machines only. Our IT head teacher was keen to look at iPads or Android tablets but I think that was laid to rest pretty quickly.

In Years 2 and 3, there will be a number of computers given out to departments to implement as they see fit and there has been significant thought given to appropriate training for teachers. There was even talk of seeing other schools in action to see what they are doing that works.

All in all, it sounded reasonably promising.

I did hear of one teacher whose wife works in a government/state high school where they just handed out laptops to all of the students. They estimate that about one third have just disappeared.

Sorry, Barkeep, I had a quick look at the EC link you gave but I'm not sure if their work would apply to Australian schools.