Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Spring Valley Baseball (Mogul)

The idea of the league is a simple one. It's 1970, 8 cities in close proximity to each other, 4 in New Jersey and 4 in Pennsylvania, all hugging the scenic Delaware river, are starting a little fast pitch league. Each town has a team, and over the course of April and May each year will play a 42 game schedule, each team playing each other 6 times, 3 at home and 3 away.

I created a fictional league with 8 teams and did a fantasy draft, drafting for the first 10 rounds for my team and then letting the computer do the rest. I generated a stadium for each team.

The setup is also incorporating some house rules different than the straight ahead style of mogul I usually play. I've given all 8 teams ton of cash, more than they'll ever need, and maxed out contract extensions, contract length and resigning of own free agents. In essence I'm trying as hard as I can to force the AI to keep their own players forever.

As far as my team goes and my house rules for the game go, it's simple. You can't turn off minors in mogul, so I'll still have that and I'll draft to stock my team, but in the world of my mind, no player exists until he's on the big club, because of course a small town fast pitch league doesn't actually have a minor league.

I will not sign any free agent until March 15th, at this point the pickings should be very slim as the AI teams will have had more than enough time to sign anyone they want.

No trading at all.

My roster locks on April 1st. From that point on I'm allowed to make 3 roster moves and 3 roster moves only, and they can only be "calling up" guys from the minors, no free agent signings.

So we'll see how it goes, could be fun, could be something I burn out on. I like to play out my games in Mogul but I usually burn out quickly, I figure with a season that only lasts 42 games and adding some fictional flavor the universe I can stay with it for a while. So let's get started.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Spring Valley League

New Jersey Division
Lambertville Tigers
West Amwell Giants
Flemington Flames
Stockton Saints

Pennsylvania Division
Buckingham Bears
Doylestown Devils
New Hope Knights
Newtown Blues

Last edited by Suicane75 : 04-21-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

1970 Lambertville Tigers Roster

C- Justin Mullins- 32 Years Old, 64/64. Not much in the way of a hitter although he did catch in High School and knows what he's doing behind the plate. Never went to College and works as a house painter. He's our starting catcher due to his ability to call a game, and not much else.

C- Bryan Davidson- 32 Years Old, 66/66. Played 1st base in High School and is actually an assistant coach on the team now. Has a depth of baseball knowledge and is good behind the plate as well but can't really hit a lick. He's a good guy to have around though because of his baseball IQ.

1B- Adam Wells- 25 Years Old, 70/70. Strong son of a gun, lefty hitter who can hit righties quite well and for a decent amount of power. A farm boy who never played much ball, he looked real good at tryouts and we're happy to have him on the team.

1B- Manuel Amargos- 31 Years Old, 57/57. Honestly doesn't know much about baseball and his fielding is pretty bad but he's a strong dude. Does a lot of different work around town, repair work, odd jobs excetera. His english isn't the greatest but everyone gets along with him great. He's the perfect platoon mate for Wells as he can really crush lefties.

2B- Nate Ward- 19 Years Old, 72/92. The wunderkind of our club. A local star, he excelled in High School, at least on the field. In the classroom it's a whole different story completely. A bit of a dick due to everyone kissing his ass his whole life, and his dad owns the towns busiest gas station and only wrecker, so he has a major sense of entitlement. Could go play in Junior College but has a baby on the way and the business will be his when his dad retires so he doesn't care much about leaving town.

2B- Jeremy Wilson- 27 Years Old, 54/57. Can't hit real well, can't field real well, but he played some in high school and he's damn fast. Works in the ceramics factory, rides his bike there everyday, a bit of a health nut, nice guy.

SS- Steve Horst- 23 Years Old, 71/71. Tall, skinny, and fast, Steve played SS for 4 years in high school and 2 years in college at a small school down in Delaware before coming home to work in the family restaraunt. He can field and hit pretty well and his baseball mind is sharp, but he's got almost no power.

3B- Jamie Truscott- 31 Years Old, 69/69. Tried out for SS but Horst is clearly better than him there. He played 3B some in high school and offered to move over there. He works for the city and is married to his high school sweetheart, has played softball religously during the summer for the past 10 years and is capable at just about every infield position.

3B- Joaquin Mavisca- 31 Years Old, 60/60. Interesting fella. Pretty big dude who is actually a nice fielder with a decent amount of pop but he's not that great a hitter. When I say big, I don't mean muscular. Dude is a bit hefty but regales everyone with stories of his days playing SS as a kid, nobody knows what to make of him but he speaks better english than Manuel Amargos and does some translating to help bridge the language barrier. Joaquin likes to drink and can be found in the bar as often as he can found on the job, but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and everyone loves the dude.

LF- Josh Widgery- 25 Years Old, 69/69. Really good athlete. Played ball in high school and is a very good left fielder. Fast as heck too. Not great with the bat but he has a sharp eye and gets his hits in, just not very strong. He's a bit of a car nut and gets along well with Nate Ward, they like to listen to that Rock & Roll music.

CF- Jim Mardment- 32 Years Old, 55/57. Jim is....well he's not much of a ballplayer in any sense of the word but he covers a lot of ground in center, so he has that going for him. He's on his 3rd wife and if you have the time, he has a story that's probably bullshit. Jim likes his Budweiser, but he can run down fly balls.

CF- Joey Voaden- 30 Years Old, 61/61. Another guy who just isn't all that much with the bat, but he plays softball reguraly and probably doesn't weigh more than 110 pounds soaking wet. He covers ground in CF well and can hit a lefty now and again so he's a good platoon guy with Mardment. Joey still lives at home with his mom and works in a bakery, some of the guys think he may be a little fancy, but he mostly keeps to himself and it don't bother nobody. Most of us were surprised that he even tried out for one, and that he was decent, for two.

RF- Mark Fuller, 32 Years Old, 64/64. Mark has some pop, especially against lefties, but he's not much of player. He works at the gas station that Nate Wards dad owns and is sort of like Nates big brother, he plays some beer league softball and looks it, slower than mud but can play the corner outfield spots and 1st base.

RF- Adam Tucker, 30 Years Old, 55/57. Has some speed but that's about all. Not even that good a fielder really. He has 2 intangibles though, the first is that nobody who tried out was really any better, the other is that Tuckers Bar, owned by his dad, is the towns main watering hole, so he's a nice guy to have on the team.

SP- Tim Malorgan, 27 Years Old, 74/74. A lefty who has a sweet change up, Tim played some college ball and knows how to pitch. Not a flame thrower by any means, but not many in this league are. Tim is our ace. He has a degree in finance and works in insurance.

SP- Bill Auld, 19 Years Old, 55/73. Another lefty, Bill is just out of high school, where he pitched for 4 years. He works at the grocery store here in town. He's got a rubber arm and pretty good control.

SP- Allan Salomone, 20 Years Old, 60/79. Allan doesn't throw that hard but he has a pretty nice curve ball, his control also isn't the best in the world but beggars can't be choosers and his ability to throw a lot of pitches is nice. Allan works at Tuckers Bar and goes to community college.

SP- Shawn Marrs, 20 Years Old, 50/73. Shawn has decent control and a durable arm, but that's about it. He got the job as the 4th starter almost by default as none of the other guys who could throw more than 50 pitches were any better. Shawn pitched in high school which is his only pedigree. He works at Marios Pizza here in town and is a bit of a ladies man.

RP- Grant Bingham, 26 Years Old, 68/68. Grant has excellent control and a sweet curve, only problem is his elbow starts to bark after a bit so he's our late inning guy. He pitched some in college before his arm started to hurt but after a few years of rest he says he's good to go as long as he doesn't get overworked. Grant is a teacher at the elementary school and is married with 2 kids.

RP- Steve Lucey, 21 Years Old, 65/78. Decent control and movement, Steve could probably start but his arm starts to wear after a while so we'll use him in relief to bridge the gap between our starters and Bingham. Steve actually played on his college team for 2 years before he transferred to a school that was closer to home to be with his pregnant girlfriend. That school doesn't have a baseball program, so he's our gain.

RP- George Coffey, 22 Years Old, 52/82. Good control and a strong two seamer are Georges calling cards. Unfortunately he doesn't have much secondary stuff to back it up and his arm starts to wear down after constant fireballing. He's our main lefty out of the pen though, thanks to not being wild. George is an Arts major in college and has a pretty funky band that plays around the area from time to time.

RP- Matt Richardson, 20 Years Old, 50/77. Throws strikes, just not very hard or with much movement. But in a league like this, not being too wild can be a blessing. Matt played the outfield in high school but he can't hit a lick so he tried out as a pitcher and made the cut. Doesn't have a pitchers pedigree though, so he can't handle a heavy work load, he's not really starter material. He works at a deli here in town but he bounces from job to job, might be a bit of pot head.

RP- Walt Woods, 20 Years Old, 55/75. Lefty who throws a weird screwball and a couple of curve balls but doesn't have much control of over where they end up. Surprisingly strong arm for someone who never played ball and throws such moving stuff. Don't think he has a job at the moment, left high school early to work in a local garage. Bit of a wild child who gets along well with Nate Ward and Josh Widgery.

RP- Gabe Tuffin, 19 Years Old, 52/73. Has a decent slider and change up but who knows where the hell they'll end up. He pitched some in high school but mostly was a backup outfielder. Gabe is a good friend of Nate Ward and is dating his sister, but he's not much of a pitcher. He works in the record shop and likes to play guitar.

RP- C.J. Garrett, 30 Years Old, 50/55. No real talent to speak of other than he knows the mechanics of pitching. He's only on the team because Charlie Leigh got busted for pot and is doing 30 days in the county jail. Played some ball in high school but was nothing special. A good friend of Grant Bingham who suggested him when we found out Leigh wasn't available to start the season. Works as a teacher at the elementary school in town.

RP- Charlie Leigh, 24 Years Old, 72/72. Good Time Charlie is what they call him. He's unemployed and apparently liked to deal grass. He was slated to be our late inning guy as he has a nice fastball and a wicked change. He was a good pitcher in high school but got kicked off the team. He can still bring it in short spurts though. Unfortunately for us, he got busted the weekend before the season started so we had to replace him for the time being, luckily it didn't count against our roster move limit.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

#jerz
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Thursday April 4th: Lambertville Tigers (0-0) Vs Newtown Blues (0-0)
We got the season off a to a nice start with a rather easy 8-0 win over Newtown. Manuel Amargos collected 3 RBI and Widgery, Ward and Voaden each had 2 hits. Tim Malorgan breezed through 7 shutout innings and Steve Lucey finished things up.

Final Score:
Lambertville 8
Newtown 0

Friday April 5th: Lambertville Tigers (1-0) Vs Newtown Blues (0-1)
We jumped out early, scoring 5 runs in the first inning on 6 hits. Bill Auld took it from there, tossing 8 solid innings before Grant Bingham closed it out in the 9th. Manuel Amargos had 3 hits and an RBI while Horst, Ward, Truscott and Mullins all had pair of hits.

Final Score:
Lambertville 6
Newtown 2

Saturday April 6th: Lambertville Tigers (2-0) Vs Newtown Blues (0-2)
This was just a shellacking as we clobbered Newtown pitchers to the tune of 20 runs and 19 hits. Adam Wells and Mark Fuller connected for home runs. Fuller and Mardment each collected 3 hits. Wells had 5 RBI and scored 4 times while Fuller went 3-5 with 3 RBI and 4 runs scored. Horst, Widgery and Mullins each added 2 RBI. Allan Salomone tossed 6 innings of one run ball and Walt Woods and Matt Richardson mopped up.

Final Score:
Lambertville 20
Newtown 1

Not a bad way to start the season. We're clearly supperior to this Newtown team. We have a day off before we play them in their park for 3 games to start the new week.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

Monday April 8th: Lambertville Tigers (3-0) At Newtown Blues (0-3)
Our first real set back of the season as we got stymied by Blues pitcher Prescott Spurle. We only trailed 1-0 going into the 5th but Shawn Marrs got wild and sloppy, allowing 5 runs to score. Spurle limited us to 4 hits and 1 run as he tossed a complete game gem. RF Todd McClain had 3 hits for the Blues and 1B Joe Renfro, 2B Jeff Wickens and SS Philip Young each added 2 RBI a piece as Newtown wins their home opener.

Final Score:
Newtown 8
Lambertville 1

Tuesday April 9th: Lambertville Tigers (3-1) At Newtown Blues (1-3)
Looking to make up for yesterdays loss, we jumped out early on a Manuel Amargos 3 run homer in the first inning and never looked back. Josh Widgery would add a homer and 3 RBI as well. Tim Malorgan tossed 8 strong innings to get the win as we rebounded nicely.

Final Score:
Lambertville 6
Newtown 2

Wednesday April 10th: Lambertville Tigers (4-1) At Newtown Blues (1-4)
A 1st inning 2 run double by Jamie Truscott gave us a 2-0 lead that Bill Auld would carry into the 5th inning before Newtown pitcher Bryan Johnson would plate a run with an RBI double. Then in the 7th, CF Alex Rush would homer to tie the game. It stayed that way till the 9th inning when we would plate 3 runs on RBI hits from Widgery, Amargos and Amavisca. Grant Bingham, who had had closed out the 8th inning, finished shutting the door in the 9th to give us the win. Truscott had 3 hits on the day.

Final Score:
Lambertville 5
Newtown 2

Well, I think we're clearly better than Newtown, but that being said, they aren't in our division and we don't have anymore games left with them so we can't rest on our laurels. We have a day off before we start a stretch of 6 games in 7 days within our division against Stockton and West Amwell, that will be a better litmus test to see where we stand, but I'm liking our team so far.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

Friday April 12th: Lambertville Tigers (5-1) Vs Stockton Saints (2-4)
Paced by a 2 run homer by RF Brian McVeigh, Stockton took a 3-0 lead on us before we cut it to 3-2 heading into the bottom of the 7th. Steve Horst would connect with an RBI single and Jamie Truscott would add a 2 run single and Jim Mardment would tack on another RBI hit to give us a 6-3 lead. Steve Lucey would allow a solo homer in the 8th to 3B Travis Papp but our pen would hold on as Bingham worked a scoreless 9th to preserve a hard fought win. Truscott had 3 hits & 3 RBI, including a homer. Horst, Widgery and Ward all added 2 hits. Allan Salomone gave up 3 runs over 7 innings to get the win.

Final Score:
Lambertville 6
Stockton 4

Saturday April 13th: Lambertville Tigers (6-1) Vs Stockton Saints (2-5)
A Jamie Truscott RBI single in the first gave us a 1-0 lead, but the Saints would plate 3 runs in their half of the 4th inning to take a short lived lead. We would come back with 5 runs in the bottom of the inning, the big blow coming on a 3 run double from Adam Wells. We carried that lead into the 9th when I figured I'd get C.J. Garrett some work. In hindsight, that was a mistake. Garrett allowed 2 of the 3 batters he faced to get on so I brought Bingham in but he may have been a little overworked because he struggled too, allowing both inherited runners and an additional tyeing run to score. In the bottom of the 9th, with 2 out and nobody on, Adam Tucker doubled and then Jim Mardment knocked him in the base hit to give us a thrilling win. Marrs pitched well and Mardment had 2 hits in the nail biting victory.

Final Score:
Lambertville 7
Stockton 6

Sunday April 14th: Lambertville Tigers (7-1) Vs Stockton Saints (2-6)
With our best pitcher on the mound, we cruised to a 5-0 lead through five innings and looked well on our way to an easy win before it all went to hell. Tim Malorgan allowed a 3 run homer to 3B David Wilcox to cut the lead to 5-3 but we came right back in the bottom of the 7th and got the big lead back thanks to a 3 run homer from Adam Wells. We took an 8-4 lead into the 9th inning, and not having learned anything yesterday, I decided to let one of my weaker pitchers do some mopping up. Gabe Tuffin faced 4 batters and allowed 2 runs to score without getting an out. George Coffey came in, faced 1 batter and allowed an RBI hit. We brought Bingham in and he immediately allowed an RBI hit to tie the game and then Justin Mullins allowed a passed ball to bring in the go ahead run. Stockton scored 5 times in the 9th before we recorded an out. Bingham would set down the next 3 batters but the damage was done. In the bottom of the ninth with 1 out, Ward and Widgery each singled and then swiped a bag to put them on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out but Adam Wells lined out to RF and Widgery was out on a bang bang play at home plate trying to tag up, ending an absolutely brutal loss for us.

Final Score:
Stockton 9
Lambertville 8

Huge series coming up with West Amwell whom we are tied with for first place. In hindsight I maybe should have moved Malorgan back so he could pitch this series. Going with our 2-3-4 starters for such a big series is not ideal.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

1970 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

The inaugural season of the Spring Valley League was A banner one for the Tigers. We easily won the NJ division and bested the New Hope Knights 2-0 in the League Championship Series.

Our offense was powered by 2B Nate Ward who hit .335/.426. The top of our lineup consisting of SS Steve Horts, LF Josh Widgery and Ward combined to score 83 runs and steal 45 bases while our 1B platoon of Adam Wells and Manuel Amargos combined for 15 homers and 51 RBI.

On the pitching side, our top 3 starters Bill Auld, Tim Malorgan and Allan Salomone all had ERA's under 3.00 and combined to go 19-10 while closer Grant Bingham, 7 saves, and setup man Charlie Leigh, held down the back end of the bullpen.

It was a tremendous way to christen the new league and a proud year for the citizens of Lambertville.

1970 Lambertville Tigers Season Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-18-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

1970 Spring Valley League Recap

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1970) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 26 16 .619 -- .276 38 72 3.36 Stockton 22 20 .524 4.0 .269 37 11 3.45 West Amwell 21 21 .500 5.0 .260 27 17 3.21 Flemington 20 22 .476 6.0 .268 30 16 3.91 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA New Hope 27 15 .643 -- .263 27 24 2.59 Doylestown 23 19 .548 4.0 .248 27 17 3.85 Buckingham 20 22 .476 7.0 .266 37 15 3.97 Newtown 9 33 .214 18.0 .225 20 18 4.21 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Tigers defeat Knights, 2-0

Most Valuable Hitter: David Wilcox (STO) .383/13HR/38RBI
Most Valuable Pitcher: Brian Theisen (NEW) 7-2/1.69ERA/49K

1970 SVL Batting Leaders
Spoiler

1970 SVL Pitching Leaders
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

1971 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

1971 Was an up and down year for the Tigers that ended on a sour note. Despite a lull in the middle of the season, we once again won the New Jersey Division, besting the Flemington Flames by 2 games. We would go into the championship series without two of our leading players, 1B Manuel Amargos and LF Josh Widgery. The underdog Bunckingham Bears would then sweep us in two games, winning the clincher in a heartbreaking 1-0 game on our own field.

Nate Ward bettered his tremendous 1970 season by hitting .381 and scoring 32 runs, adding 17 steals. Our 1B combo once again proved to be a force as Wells and Amargos combined for 14 homers and 39 RBI while Josh Widgery would have a tremendous 7 homer, 17 steal season and lead us with 38 runs scored. RF Mark Fuller became an all around presence, hitting .338 and belting 11 homers while driving in 29 runs.

Tim Malorgan and Allan Salomone would once again anchor our staff, and despite a down year and an injury to Bill Auld, youngster Dale Wooley stepped in to win 5 games and post a 1.65 ERA in 49 innings of work. Grant Bingham would record 8 saves and for the most part our bullpen was tremndous.

1971 Lambertville Tigers Season Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-18-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

1971 Spring Valley League Recap

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1971) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 27 15 .643 -- .272 48 62 3.32 Flemington 25 17 .595 2.0 .265 35 32 3.95 West Amwell 22 20 .524 5.0 .257 18 63 4.29 Stockton 17 25 .405 10.0 .260 36 24 4.62 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Buckingham 22 20 .524 -- .267 42 15 4.22 Doylestown 21 21 .500 1.0 .252 36 12 3.69 New Hope 17 25 .405 5.0 .252 27 40 3.51 Newtown 17 25 .405 5.0 .239 22 39 4.76 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Bears defeat Tigers, 2-0

Most Valuable Hitter: Graham Tinker (FLE) .353/9HR/41RBI/32R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Don Nied (DOY) 7-0/2.10ERA/33K'S

1971 SVL Hitting Leaders
Spoiler

1971 SVL Pitching Leaders
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

1972 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

1972 Was a year of low morale and lower effort for the Tigers. Both SS Steve Horst and LF Josh Widgery struggled mightily in 1972, neither coming near their previous years hitting output, though they were both still demons on the basepaths. Newcomers David Rath and CF Saul Waner helped overcome the lack of output by the veterans but 1B Adam Wells struggled, as did RF Mark Fuller, both men suffered power shortages and struggled to hit much at all. Midway through the year the team lost both Manual Amargos and Justin Mullins as each man left the team. Nate Ward still paced the offense, but it was one in disaray and flux for most of the year.

On the pitching side, our hurlers were no longer elite. Allan Salomone, maybe our best pitcher the previous 2 seasons, didn't even make the roster, which irked a lot of our veterans. Tim Malorgan struggled to a 2-6 record and 4.38 ERA as his arm showed signs of wear. Bill Auld was relegated to spot start duty but youngsters Dale Wooley and Todd Parnell were bright spots, each logging 5 wins and ERA's right around 3. A couple of young bullpen arms by the name of Shawn Stryska and Clinton Withey emerged to help Closer Grant Bingham who notched another 14 saves.

We had a solid May, but just couldn't overcome the slow and languid start to our season, and getting swept on the final weekend of the season just put the nail in our coffin.

1972 Lambertville Tigers Team Stats
Spoiler

1972 Spring Valley League Recap
In the NJ Division, the Stockton Saints rode the bats of Jamie Wilcox and David Ford to their first division title, winning a 1 game playoff against Flemington to claim the crown. While in the PA Division, New Hope and Doylestown battled down to the wire and also needed a 1 game playoff to decide the Division crown. New Hope, led by Joe Aldrich, Carmine Goolsby and Marc Williams, would prevail and would enter the championship series as the favorites. It wasn't to be though, as Stockton surprised most prognosticators by winning the series 2-0.

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1972) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Stockton 23 20 .535 -- .265 31 31 3.82 Flemington 22 21 .512 1.0 .265 23 39 3.38 Lambertville 20 22 .476 2.5 .239 21 68 3.48 West Amwell 18 24 .429 4.5 .247 18 37 4.12 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA New Hope 26 17 .605 -- .271 25 25 4.24 Doylestown 25 18 .581 1.0 .269 46 16 2.62 Buckingham 18 24 .429 7.5 .259 37 19 4.61 Newtown 18 24 .429 7.5 .241 31 29 4.22 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Saints defeat Knights, 2-0

Most Valuable Hitter: Brian Trick (NWT) .427/14HR/35RBI/28R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Aaron Herman (DOY) 7-2/2.11ERA/77K's

1972 Spring Valley League Hitting Stats
Spoiler

1972 Spring Valley League Pitching Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

1973 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

1973 Was a year formed on pure grit and determination for the Tigers. Where as 1972 was a complete failure from a heart standpoint, somehow in 1973 we managed to emerge from a crowded New Jersey Division as champions, winning 2 out of 3 from Stockton in the seasons final series and managing to eek out a division title by 1 game over both Stockton and West Amwell.

From there we surprised the talent rich Doylestown team, the clear favorite to win it all, by sweeping the league championship series two games to none.

Only Nate Ward and Saul Waner managed to hit over .300 among all regulars but everyone did a solid job and provided lots of timely hitting to make up for an underwhelming starting staff, of whom only Tim Malorgan posted an ERA under 4.00. Our bullpen however was magnificent. Grant Bingham notched 10 saves while the combination of Clinton Withey and Shawn Stryska combine for nearly 50 innings of work and an ERA of 2.50.

It was a year where it seemed the sum far outweighed the parts as we weaved our way to a surprising title, a redemption if you will, for last years lackadaisical season.

1973 Lambertville Tigers Statistics
Spoiler
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

1973 Spring Valley League Recap

While the Tigers emerged in New Jersey, Doylestown was once again embarking on a pennant chase in the PA side. After 3 years the bridesmaid, the Devils tied for the division crown and defeated Buckingham in the one game playoff to earn a spot in the championship series for the first time. With a lineup loaded with talent, including four regulars who hit over .320 and the #1 and #2 hit leaders in the league, the Devils were fairly heavily favored to win the title, but were shocked in two games by the Tigers.

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1973) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 23 19 .548 -- .261 21 76 3.63 Stockton 22 20 .524 1.0 .252 30 28 4.06 West Amwell 22 20 .524 1.0 .255 20 44 3.40 Flemington 18 24 .429 5.0 .231 32 36 4.17 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Doylestown 23 20 .535 -- .267 32 16 3.28 Buckingham 22 21 .512 1.0 .258 33 13 3.40 Newtown 20 22 .476 2.5 .271 37 15 3.88 New Hope 19 23 .452 3.5 .252 21 36 3.69 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Tigers defeat Devils, 2-0
Most Valuable Hitter: Brian Trick (NWT) .331/13HR/35RBI/34R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Dennys Ojeda (DOY) 7-3/2.38ERA/58K

1973 Spring Valley League Hitting Stats
Spoiler

1973 Spring Valley League Pitching Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

1974 Lambertville Tigers Season Preview

Entering the 1974 season I am extremely worried about our teams pitching. Dale Wooley at only 24 is already showing diminished velocity and I fear his arm is going. Tim Malorgan is 31 years old and his arm too is beginning to fade. Bill Auld and Matt Richardson, who have never been more than swingmen/spot starters will man the other two rotation spots. It's really a patchwork of rather underwhelming arms at this point. In the bullpen, what had been our very solid backend combo of Charlie Leigh and Grant Bingham are also wearing down. Really the only highlites on our entire staff are the youngsters Clinton Withey and Shawn Stryska. 21 Year old Vince Rodd, a really good lefty will also join our pen.

On the offensive side we continue to have to compensate for the decline of LF Josh Widgery and SS Steve Horst, new comer Joe Augustine who joined the team late last season will have a more prominent role in our outfield this year. Incumbent 3B Jamie Truscott who has manned the hot corner for us all 4 seasons of the leagues existence, was beat out by a young slugger named Frederic Thornhill. Thornhills power is legit but he struggles against righties.

In the end it comes down to whether we can hit enough to compensate for what I suspect will be below average starting pitching.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

1974 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

The 1974 season started a mess, and then once things got worse, they actually got better. We started the season 9-14, 8 games out of 1st place. Our pitching was a hot mess. Dale Wooley didn't last long in the rotation as his arm was just shot. Tim Malorgan was given a longer leash but he to was eventually removed from the rotation. Todd Parnell & Allan Salomone who had both pitched for us before rejoined the team after open tryouts and both men pitched really well. Shawn Stryska transitioned to the starting rotation. Those 3, along with Bill Auld, who was our only starter having a decent year, helped stabalize the team.

The problem was that injuries were taking their toll on the team. Grant Bingham, for all intents and purposes was supplanted as the close by Clinton Withey, and then broke his ankle and missed the last few weeks of the season. While on the offensive side, CF Saul Waner and SS Steve Horst both missed over 3 weeks with back injuries. A young kid by the name of Shane Ellis joined the team and flashed some skills at SS before he dislocated his shoulder and was done for the year.

We ended up turning things around in the second half, enough to climb over .500 and finish the season 22-20 but Stockton pretty much ran away with the division and we finished 4 games out, despite winning 4 of 6 against them in two late season series.

Offensively we were led once again by Nate Ward, who may have had his best season to date, hitting .398 and scoring 34 times. He may be the best pure hitter in the league. Newcomer Frederic Thornhill impressed to the tune of 8 Home Runs and a .296 average while David Rath also pounded 8 homers and hit .309. Joe Augustine and Saul Waner also impressed. Our offense is good and it looks like it will be for a while.

On the mound we may have seen the end of Tim Malorgan and Dale Wooley. It'll be interesting next season as to where Todd Parnell and Allan Salomone stand. Both men don't have near the stuff we look for during tryouts but they've both been fantastic whenever called upon.

1974 Lambertville Tigers Team Statistics
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-21-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

1974 Spring Valley League Season Recap

At the midway point of the season Newtown seemed primed to take their first ever PA Divsion title, but Doylestown, bolstered by a 9 game win streak, blazed into first place and never looked back, winning the PA Division by 2 games over New Hope while Newtown free fell from first place to a 18-24 record and a last place finish. Doylestowns lineup, while not as potent as in recent years, featured 4 players who hit at least 6 home runs, SS Chris Hamylton, 3B Brad Heath who also hit .331 to lead the team, and corner outfielders Kevin Floyd and Brian Oddo. Doylestowns pitching was the dominant force behind their division crown this year as Dennys Ojeda (2.57), Orlando Jeopoldo (3.56) and Grant Krueger (2.26) combined to win 20 games between them.

On the NJ side of the river, Stockton raced out and never looked back, winning the division handily. The Saints were paced by 2B Joey Gabel, CF Tom Larkin, 3B Ty Baker and SS Craig Dinsmore, who all hit over .300. RF Jamie Ford would add 10 homers and 28 RBI. On the mound James Grace would throw 75 innings of 3.00 ERA ball and he and Rob Usher combined for 11 wins.

Doylestown would take the first game of the championship series and seemed poised to finally win their first title, but Stockton would rally to win the next two games and claim the title.

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1974) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Stockton 26 16 .619 -- .271 38 31 4.02 Lambertville 22 20 .524 4.0 .260 36 45 4.08 West Amwell 21 21 .500 5.0 .254 19 31 4.24 Flemington 20 22 .476 6.0 .269 29 28 5.11 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Doylestown 22 20 .524 -- .265 39 13 3.83 New Hope 20 22 .476 2.0 .241 26 35 3.39 Buckingham 19 23 .452 3.0 .264 32 26 4.43 Newtown 18 24 .429 4.0 .262 40 12 4.59 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Saints defeat Devils, 2-1

Most Valuable Hitter: Nate Ward (LAM) .398/2HR/15RBI/34R/8SB
Most Valuable Pitcher: Allan Salomine (LAM) 6-0/2.18ERA/25K's

1974 Spring Valley League Hitting Statistics
Spoiler

1974 Spring Valley League Pitching Statistics
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Lambertville Tigers Season Preview

To say that I'm much more optimistic going into the 1975 season than I was last year would be a giant understatement. Our offense looks primed, with all of our young hitters entering their prime. Our defense should be much better as we've moved Josh Widgery to 1B and David Rath, who has a cannon arm, into RF. The only real transition for the offense comes at SS where Steve Horst, who has struggled to regain his stroke for a few seasons now, has been supplanted by youngster Shane Ellis who provides good speed and an excellent glove. Our defense was a mess last year and having Ellis at SS helps anchor the infield tremendously.

On the mound Shawn Stryska is joined by newcomer Glen Tyrer, a 21 year old with great stuff. The two may have the best stuff of any starters we've ever had. Allan Salomone & Todd Parnell don't have great stuff, but both men have done nothing but produce in game situations and they'll get the nod as our 3rd and 4th starters. Clinton Withey remains our closer and his ability to go multiple innings is a real plus. Grant Bingham, Charlie Leigh and Vince Rod are our main setup guys with newcomer Vinny Tindale joining Bill Auld and Tim Malorgan at the front end of our pen. All three men have the ability to start and will be called upon if the need arises.

I really think we should contend for the title again this year, the pitching is replenished and deep and the offense is young and electric. Entering the season I believe that this is the best overall team we've ever assembled so anything less than winning the division would be a disappointment to me.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Lambertville Tigers Recap

Started the year with two series against West Amwell whom we should have wiped the floor with but didn't hit well and managed to only go 3-3. Nate Ward is 11-20, by crikey. Pitching was fantastic.

We took 2 out of 3 from Newtown on solid pitching and Freddy Thornhills bat. We're 5-4 and in a 3 way tie for 1st place. Doylestown and New Hope are tied for the PA Division lead. We have a 2.05 team ERA which is over a run and a half better than any other team.

We swept the Stockton Saints in epic fashion, coming from behind in all 3 games including a 13 inning affair that saw us fall behind 3 times from the 9th inning on only to come back. Our starters were pretty bad this series but our pen was solid as a rock and our clutch hitting was mucho magnifico. We're 8-4 with a 2 game lead in the division. Our ERA jumped to 3.27 but wins are wins and I'll take em. Doylestown and New Hope are still tied atop the PA division with 4th place Newtown only 2 games back.

We lost 2 out of 3 to Newtown which is pretty disappointing, our pitching, especially our bullpen, just was not good in this series. We're 9-6 and own a 1.5 game lead in the division over West Amwell. On the PA side it's a bit of cluster as all 4 teams are separated by just 1 game.

On April 20th at Tribune Field in Newtown, Nate Ward homered for his 300th hit, the first player in league history to reach that mark.

Catcher Bryan Brazzel tweaked his knee and will miss about a week, we use this opportunity to add a young Catcher by the name of Matthew Vickers to our squad, he'll take over as the starting Catcher. He's not big on contact but he's very good defensively and has big time power, it's not like Brazzel was providing much anyway. Unfortunately this means the end of backup backstop Robin Burbridges time on the team.

We took 2 out of 3 from New Hope, outscoring them 15-4 in the series. Shawn Stryska finaly got his first win of the year while Glen Tyrer suffered his first loss in the series finale. We're 11-7 and 1.5 games up in the division. The PA side is still a jumble with all 4 teams within a game of each other.

Our hitting has been tremendous so far. Nate Ward owns a .405 average while Freddy Thornhill is hitting .366 with 7 homers and 22 RBI. Our whole lineup is producing. On the mound, Todd Parnell has a 5.02 ERA and needs to right things or Bill Auld may slide into his rotation spot but other than that our pitching has been real solid. Vince Rodd, Charlie Leigh and Vinny Tindall have not been sharp in the pen but I'm not overly worried.

We took 4 of 6 in a back to back set with Flemington to increase our lead to 3 games. Barring a complete collapse I think we are clearly the cream of the league this year. Our 3.35 team ERA is tops in the league by a good margin. Nate Ward leads the league in hits and runs while Freddy Thornhill leads the league in RBI and homers. Not too shabby. Buckingham, whom we have 6 straight with coming up next, leads the PA division by half a game over New Hope.

We split 6 games with Buckingham, 4 of the games were decided by 1 run so they clearly gave us all we can handle. We're 18-12 and have a 1.5 game lead over Stockton as we head right into a 3 game series with them. This is the 2nd time this year we'll be playing 9 games in a row. We have the top of our rotation set up for this important series. We have a chance to put some distance between us and the Saints, they could also turn this into a race. Big series.

We lost 2 of 3 to Stockton in a very frustrating series that saw us take game 1 and a 3-0 lead into the 7th inning of game 2. Our bullpen would melt down and allow a comeback win and then they take the 3rd game of the series. We stand at 19-14 and are now half a game behind Stockton who has surged with 4 wins in a row. The solace we can take is that we've had 3 days rest and are coming up on a home and home versus Doylestown with 2 days off between series so we can throw the top of our rotation out there in both series. Buckingham and New Hope are tied for the PA lead with Newtown just 1.5 games off the pace. Doylestown sits at 4 back.

The set against Doylestown started off fine, we won the first two games. Then we Allan Salomone got shelled in the 3rd game and we lost RF David Rath for what could be the rest of the season to a broken finger. Oy. Our lineup was already in flux as LF Joe Augustine had been struggling against righties and losing at bats. Josh Widgery, not having that great a year himself, was seeing starts in LF while Adam Wells manned 1B. In other words, once we got past the 4 hole, our lineup is a bit of a mess.

We have open tryouts and a 22 year old by the name of Jamie Gault wins a spot on the roster. He doesn't have much power but he makes contact and he's got decent speed and a good eye.

We're 21-15 and tied with Stockton for the division lead and West Amwell 2.5 games behind as we head into our final two series of the season. Over on the PA side it's the same deal as New Hope and Buckingham are tied with Newtown 2.5 games out.

We swept the series at home against Doylestown while Stockton dropped 2 of 3 to Buckingham to give us a 2 game lead in the division heading into the final series of the season against New Hope. We threw Todd Parnel in game 3 of this most recent series since Salomone got shelled the last time he faced Doylestown so he'll get the start in game 1 of this series. I'm hoping we can clinch before the final game of the season so I don't have to use Stryska & Tyrer and can have at least 1 of them fresh for the championship series opener, assuming we win the division. This is not going to be an easy series though, New Hope is just a game back in the PA division so they have a lot to play for.

We lost the 1st game of the series thanks to some shitty bullpen work. Stockton won, so we now have just a 1 game lead with 2 games left in the season.

We jumped out to a 4-0 lead in game 2 behind Shawn Stryska so I was feeling pretty good. Then he gave it all back and the bullpen completed the collapse and we lost 6-4. Stockton won so we head into the final day of the season tied for 1st and now we're really on the ropes. Our pitching is a smelly nutsack right now. New Hope has taken a 1 game lead over Buckingham for the PA lead. We head into the last day of the season with our best pitcher on the mound, so that's something.

Game 3 was a wild one, and another disappointment. We trailed 3-2 going into the 9th but managed to tie it, only to lose in the 11th when Clinton Withey, in his 3rd inning of work, gave up the game winning run. The saving grace is that Stockton lost too, so now we have to face off with them in a 1 game playoff. New Hopes sweep of us give them the PA title by 1 game over Buckingham, so they have plenty of time to rest up. We get 3 days off before the playoff so that gives us time to rest Stryksa and have him throw. David Rath is still not healthy so we're without him. It all comes down to this.

The 1 game playoff for the NJ Division title took place at home in Lambertville, it was a match up between two strong pitchers, Shawn Stryska 5-6 with a 3.03 ERA for Lambertville against James Grace, 4-4 with a 3.26 ERA for Stockton.
The game was scoreless in the bottom of the 5th when Lambertville SS Shane Eliis delivered a clutch 3 run double with 2 outs to put us up. Stryska threw 7 scoreless innings and Clinton Withey closed it out by retiring all 6 batters he faced to give us the win and clinch the division title, woohoo.

We only have 1 day off before the start of the championship series. Glen Tyrer will get the start in game 1, I'm still undecided on how the rest of the series is going to play out. David Rath is back, a big boost to our offense. We have home field advantage so we'll get games 2 and 3 at home. Let's try and get this sucker.

Nate Ward continued to dominate at the plate. He led the league in Hits with 64, Runs with 42, and Steals with 22. Fred Thornhill finished 10th in hits with 50, led the league in homers with 11 and finished 2nd in RBI with 36, his 33 runs were good for 4th in the league. Saul Waner added top 10 finishes in both hits and RBI as well while Shane Ellis had 17 steals to finish 2nd to Nate Ward in that category.

The only real offensive disappointment was LF Joe Augistine who struggled pretty badly at the plate this year. Josh Widgery also continues to look lost, but we were bailed out a bit by Adam Wells having a really solid year, getting more playing time as the season progressed and doing a fine job at 1B. Our Catching situation isn't the greatest either as both Bryan Brazzel and rookie Matthew Vickers struggled to hit much at all.

Glen Tyrer in his rookie season was far and away the dominant pitcher in the league, he led the league in wins with 9 and ERA at 2.00, Clinton Withey notched 14 saves to lead the league. Shawn Stryskas 5 wins, 3.03 ERA and 55 K's placed him in the top 10 in all 3 categories.

Todd Parnell and Allan Salomine pitched ok, nothing great though, and neither one is guaranteed a spot next year. Our bullpen was more a less a mess. Clinton Withey was good and rookie Vinny Tindall impressed as the season wore on but the old guard, Charlie Leigh, Vince Rodd and Grant Bingham really struggled and we may see some major turnover in the pitching department next year.

1975 Lambertville Tigers Team Statistics
Spoiler

Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Spring Valley League Championship Series

Game 1 in New Hope saw Tigers ace Glen Tyrer face off against Knights
ace Josh Gustafson in a pivotal series matchup. A 1st inning home run by Knights LF Zack Peabody put them up 1-0. In the top of the 3rd we would send 8 men to the plate and score 3 times on a 2 run single by Nate Ward and an RBI single by Saul Waner. Tyrer would hold New Hope at 1 run through 6 innings before giving way to Vinny Tindale in the 7th. Tindale picked up where Tyrer left off and set the Knights down easily. In the 8th inning I got too fancy and it cost me big time. I brought in Bill Auld to face a lefty and he struck him out. Then I brought in Grant Bingham to face a righty and the wheels came off. Bingham allowed two straight singles, then Vince Rodd allowed a single to load the bases. I brought in Clinton Withey who promptle allowed 4 straight hits and before I knew it we were 5-3. A 9th inning rally fell short and we lost. Just a really badly managed game where i tried to get fancy with my bullpen instead of just letting my best guys pitch.

Game 2 was back in Lambertville and we head our backs against the wall. Todd Parnell faced off against Keith Page for New Hope. We jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first thanks to a Nate Ward single and two wild pitches that allowed him to score. We added a runs in the 4th, 6th and 7th on 2 Josh Widgery RBI singles and a run scoring single from Nate Ward. Meanwhile, Todd Parnell was masterful through 7 innings of shutout ball, allowing only 4 baserunners. Allan Salamone would come in and pitch the final two frames, allowing 2 runs in the 9th but escaping with the save and just as importantly, saving our pen for the deciding 3rd game. We won 4-2 and evened up the series.

The deciding game 3 showdown was between our Shawn Stryska and New Hopes Joe Arthur. We clearly had the pitching advantage but Arthur is no slouch. Len Woodings homered in the top of the 2nd to give them a 1-0 lead but we would respond in the bottom of the inning with brutal batsmanship. Widgery, Wells, Brazzel, Ward and Ellis would all deliver RBI singles as we batted around and score 5 runs to take a 5-1 lead. Stryska would hold the lead, leaving after 6 impressive innings with the 5-1 lead in tact. In the bottom of the 7th David Rath would connect on an RBI single to give us a 6-1 lead. Vinny Tindale would throw 2 scoreless innings and Clinton Withey would close it out in the 9th to finish the 6-1 win and give us the 1975 Spring Valley League title 2 games to 1.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #21
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Spring Valley League Season Recap

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1975) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 25 18 .581 -- .263 24 77 3.31 Stockton 24 19 .558 1.0 .261 38 29 4.05 West Amwell 22 20 .524 2.5 .243 19 42 4.28 Flemington 17 25 .405 7.5 .257 29 27 4.90 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA New Hope 23 19 .548 -- .285 21 29 3.82 Buckingham 22 20 .524 1.0 .268 27 24 3.70 Newtown 20 22 .476 3.0 .291 37 7 4.16 Doylestown 16 26 .381 7.0 .255 32 13 4.78 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP Tigers defeat Knights, 2-1

Most Valuable Hitter: Nate Ward (LAM) .374/2HR/10RBI/42R/22SB
Most Valuable Pitcher: Glen Tyrer (LAM) 9-1/2.00ERA/51K's

1975 Spring Valley League Hitting Stats

Spoiler

1975 Spring Valley League Pitching Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-31-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Suicane75
Coordinator

1976 Lambertville Tigers Preview

We had into 1976 with very little change to our team. The one change to our roster, and it's not really a change, but CF Jamie Gault has won a spot in the lineup. He's a really good hitter, not a lot of power but that's ok. He will man CF while Saul Waner slides over to LF. Josh Widgery and Adam Wells will platoon at 1B and Joe Augustine, following a down year in 75 will head to the bench. Brian Brazzel will get the nod at Catcher. I had hoped Matthew Vickers would blossom but despite his power he just can't connect, he'll be the backup. Unfortunately this leaves OF Matthew Ruff off of the team. Kid was good when he started but lack of playing time seemed to kill his motivation and he just hasn't shown us enough to keep him on.

On the mound, we didn't make any changes. Tyrer and Stryska are as dominant a 1-2 punch as their is in the league and while Parnell and Salomone weren't all that great last year, I don't feel the need to mess with the staff. While the pen has the same arms I will be taking a different approach to the hierarchy this season. Vinny Tindall and Bill Auld will see more prominent roles. Vince Rodd, who at one point had a really good arm, looks almost shot. Tim Malorgan is pretty much a shell of himself as well. If anyone had showed me anything during tryouts they might not be on the team anymore. Grant Bingham and Charlie Leigh are clearly not the pitchers they were 6 years ago but they still have some gas in their tanks. I hope.

I think we'll be good. The offense is strong and our top 2 starters can dominate. And while I think I can make the bullpen work, the potential is there that it could not be very good. I thought we were a shoo in last year and Stockton pushed us to the brink, I'm not sure we're better this year so I fully expect a season long dog fight.

Code:
Lineup Vs RH Lineup Vs LH 1. 2B Nate Ward 1. 2B Nate Ward 2. SS Shane Ellis 2. SS Shane Ellis 3. LF Saul Waner 3. LF Saul Waner 4. 3B Frederic Thornhill 4. 3B Frederic Thornhill 5. RF David Rath 5. RF David Rath 6. CF Jamie Gault 6. CF Jamie Gault 7. 1B Adam Wells 7. 1B Josh Widgery 8. C Brian Brazzel 8. C Brian Brazzel Bench C- Matthew Vickers 2B- Spencer McDiarmind SS- Steve Horst IF- Jeremy Wilson OF- Joe Augustine Starting Rotation 1. Glen Tyrer 2. Shawn Stryska 3. Allan Salomone 4. Todd Parnell Bullpen CL- Clinton Withey SE- Vinny Tindall SE- Bill Auld MR- Grant Bingham MR- Charlie Leigh LR- Vince Rodd LR- Tim Malorgan
Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
Suicane75
Coordinator

1976 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

Before the season even began we got some minor bad news as Catcher Bryan Brazzel tweaked his knee helping a buddy move. He'll miss the first week of the season, not a huge deal.

We opened the year winning 2 of 3 in Newtown. We played OK. Stryska lost in a matchup that favored us heavily. Not much to say other than we weren't that sharp and I'm worried about our pen outside of Withey but we won 2 of 3 so I can't complain too much.

We took 2 out of 3 from Flemington, both wins being come from behind victories that we pretty much pulled out of our asses. We've had some timely hitting but for the most part we seem listless. Our starters aren't going deep and our pen isn't very good. On top of that, Frederic Thornill twisted his knee in that game hand is out for a couple of weeks, that could be a major blow. Vince Micone who's been with us before and has 5 total at bats in two seasons will join the team and step in at 3rd Base. We're 4-2 so I can't complain too much, but I am worried.

We took 5 out of 6 from A New Hope team that just isn't very good. We're playing better and pitching better save for 1 atrocious game from Todd Parnell where he gave up 11 runs in 3 innings. Ooof. But I can't complain. We have 3 days off before starting a series at home against Flemington. We're 9-3 and they're 7-5, two games behind us in 2nd place, so we can start putting some distance between us and the rest of the division with a good series. We'll have Freddy Thornhill back, so that's nice.

Well we lost 2 out of 3 in a very tight series with Flemington, really disappointed right now. We're 10-5 with a 1 game lead but the division is tight and we blew a pretty big chance to put some distance between us and everyone else. Tyrer and Stryska have yet to really have a strong 1-2 effort on the season and I'd like them to start getting dominant toot sweet.
We have 4 days off before we start a series with Buckingham so we can reset our rotation. On the PA side of things Buckingham and Doylestown are tied for first with both teams at 6-6. It's a bit of cluster of mediocrity over there.

We won 2 out of 3 Buckingham in another series where we pretty much got outplayed but put together a good inning here or there to win a game. Tyrer was solid, Stryska got bombed, so we still can't put together a good back to back effort from those guys. But we keep winning so hey. We're 12-6 but still just a game ahead of Flemington. Doylestown is 10-8 and leads the PA Division, and we have them next up for a 6 game home and home.

We took the first 3 games of the set at home and allowed a grand total of 1 run in the series. Todd Parnell threw a shutout in game 1, Glen Tyrer hurled a complete game 1 run effort in game 2 and Shawn Stryka & the bullpen combined on a shutout in game 3. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Some good news and very bad news from the 2nd series in Doylestown. First, the good. We won 2 of 3, winning the 2nd and 3rd games when we moved Tyrer and Stryska up so we could get them each a start before 3 days off.

Now the bad news, Catcher Bryan Brazzel, having his best season ever, tore his ankle up and is done for the year. We add former Tiger Robin Burbridge to the team. He and Matthew Vickers will split time at Catcher for the rest of the year although neither one of them are very good. That really sucks because Brazzel was really coming into his own after being pushed last year by the addition of Vickers. The other bad news is that RF David Rath will miss the upcoming series against Buckingham with a strained back, not nearly as big a blow obviously.

Looking at how our team has performed so far, Nate Ward leads the team with a .422 average, just having another monster year. The interesting thing is that due to Saul Waners down year, just .232 and 6 RBI, Ward has only scored 12 times, which doesn't even lead the team, but thanks to a solid bottom of the order he does lead the team in RBI. It's all upside down. Adam Wells and David Rath are tied for the team lead with 4 homers and have a combined 25 RBI.

On the pitching side of things Tyrer (2.20), Stryska (3.26) and Salomone (3.03) are all pitching fantastic. Parnell at 4.20 looks worse than it is because of 1 real bad outing. Our bullpen has actually been magnificent as well. Withey has 9 saves and a 0.56 ERA while Vinny Tindalls 3.52 ERA is the worst on the staff outside of Charlie Leighs 11.57 ERA in just 2.1 innings of work.

We're 17-7 and have a 3.5 game lead on Flemington. Those 2 series against Doylestown were easily the best baseball we've played all year so let's try and keep it rolling. Next up is a series at home against PA leading Buckingham before we get another 3 day break so we'll be able to throw Tyrer and Stryska 4 more times in the next 6 games. The Bears are 14-10 and lead the division by 1.5 games over Newtown.

We stole 2 out of 3 from Buckingham in a wild series. Glen Tyrer got chased after just 2.1 innings in the first game which we lost, Saul Waner went 0-5 with 5 K's in that one, so not a good start. Stryska righted the ship in a game 2 win and then in game 3 we trailed 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th and scored 3 times to pull out the win. We're 19-8 and have a pretty insane 5.5 game lead over Flemington. After 3 days off we have another home and home, this time with Stockton. Buckingham sits at 18-12 and leads the PA division by 2.5 games over Newtown. If we were to play them in the championship series I think it would be a pretty good contest.

We took 2 out of the first 3 against Stockton at their place, our only loss coming in a bullpen implosion by Bill Auld and Clinton Withey, ruining a great Shawn Stryska effort. Todd Parnell pulled his quad and will miss a week so we'll throw Tim Malorgan out there for a spot start in his place. game one of the 2nd was a classic pitching contest between Allan Salomone and Stocktons Joshua Parks that went in the 10th inning scoreless before we pulled it out. In game 2, Tim Malorgan, making his first start in 2 seasons, pitched a gem. He tossed a 3 hit, complete game shutout. Nice. We took game 3 despite an average outing from Glen Tyrer. So we take 5 of 6 from Stockton to put us at 24-9. We have a 7 game lead in the division so we can clinch astoundingly early with a couple more wins.

The MVP race is pretty much a 2 man battle between Nate Ward and Joel Hornstein of Newtown. Up until about a week ago I would have said Hornstein, who's had a great career but never gotten an MVP nod, was the clear winner, but Nate has been on fire lately and is making it a discussion, though Hornstein wins going away in counting stats.

Our next series is against Newtown. who trail Buckingham by 2.5 games in the PA division.

We won the opening game of the series and clinched the division with a 5-4 win. Now the race is on both claim most wins in a season, 27 is the current high shared by us and New Hope, and perhaps even become the first team to win 30 games. I can rest some people and get my rotation set for the championship series so it's all good in the hood. We split the last two games and stand at 26-10. Buckingham has a 3 game lead in the PA division so it's looking like we'll face off with them in the championship series. Up next is a home and home against West Amwell to close out the season.

We took 2 out of 3 at home against West Amwell, putting us at 28-11 so we have a good shot at 30 wins although we will be resting some people up. We get two days off before our final series of the year in West Amwell. Saul Waner tweaked his knee and he'll miss a couple days but he'll be good to go for the championship series.

After winning the first game of the final series we dropped the last two games to come a win shy of 30 victories. Oh well. We're set to go against Buckingham in the League Championship Series.

Despite losing the final two games of the year we still finished with a league record of 29-13 and an astounding 9 games ahead of second place Stockton. That's just crazy. The thing is, I don't even think this was our best team ever, we just got on a major roll in May.

Nate Ward continued to be a wizard at the plate, leading the league in hits with 71, 11 better than the next guy. Rath, Gault, Thornhill and Wells all had really productive seasons. Wells 7 homers was tied for 4th in the league. Insanely enough we had nobody who placed in the top 10 in RBI or Runs. Saul Waner did struggle and you can see that he's declined a bit from where he was and where we thought he'd end up. Bryan Brazzle who we lost for the year a few weeks back also had a real solid year. Our lineup top to bottom may be the best it's ever been.

On the mound, nobody had a blowaway year but everyone was very solid. Allan Salomone (2.48), Todd Parnell (3.00) and Glen Tyrer (3.11) all placed in the top 10 in ERA. Tyrers 54 K's and was good for 8th best and his 6 wins was tied for 2nd. Clinton Withey once again lef the league in saves with 12. Only Bill Auld and Charlie Leigh had ERA's over 4 on our entire staff. I think this may have been the end of Charlies time on the team, he just doesn't have much left.

The series against Buckingham is going to be a dogfight. Their ace, Sean Junker, is going to win Pitcher Of The Year. He has an amazing 1.31 ERA over 96 innings and an 8-1 record. He and Tyrer will match up in what should be a classic game 1. Their next 2 starters, Gerrit Roberts, who led the league in strikeouts, and Jorge Moran, both lefties, have the ability to be just as good and they negate Adam Wells, so I know we're in for a war, but I can't wait.

Lambertville Tigers 1976 Team Statistics
Spoiler
Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Suicane75
Coordinator

1976 Spring Valley League Championship Series
Lambertville Tigers (29-13) Vs Buckingham Bears (24-18)

Game 1 was every bit the classic that the pundits expected it to be. Aces Sean Junker and Glen Tyrer squared off in a dual for the ages where both pitchers brought their A games. Each pitcher breezed through 5 scoreless innings. It wasn't until the 6th inning, when Saul Waners 2 out, opposite field double scored Nate Ward to stake Lambertville to a 1-0 lead. From there Glen Tyrer would take control. The Tiger ace shut down Buckingham en route to a complete game shutout, giving the Tigers a 1-0 win and a 1-0 series lead as the the series shifted to Lambertville for game 2. The only bad news is that Tigers 1B Adam Wells broke a bone in his face during the game and will miss the remaining games.

Game 2 was another classic as the series began to take a monumental feel. After allowing a walk and a single in the top of the 1st inning, Shawn Stryska allowed an RBI fly out to Buckingham LF Marc Baylor to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. From there both pitchers were dominant. Stryska would go 8 innings total, allowing only 3 hits and that 1 run. Unfortunately, the league strikeout leader, Gerrit Roberts, was just as dominant. Roberts would toss a complete game, 4 hit shutout as Lambertvilles bats were silenced and the Bears prevailed 1-0 to even the series and sent it to a deciding game 3.

Game 3 was a match up between Allan Salomone of Lambertville and Jorge Moran of Buckingham. The game took on the tone of the series as we went to the 6th inning scoreless with each team only managing 1 hit. But in the bottom of the frame, Nate Ward led off with a single and was sacrificed over. Saul Waner then delivered another clutch hit, a run scoring double, to give Lambertville the lead. After a passed ball, Frederic Thornhill beat out an infield single and Waner scored to make it 2-0. David Rath followed with a double and then Jamie Gault laid down a safety squeeze to plate another run and give us a 3-0 lead. From there Allan Salomone would set down the Bears in the 7th and 8th and Clinton Withey closed it out to give us a 3-0 win and a 2-1 series victory as we claimed our 2nd straight title and 4th overall.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #25
Suicane75
Coordinator

SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1976)

Code:
NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 29 13 .690 -- .283 27 70 3.00 Stockton 20 22 .476 9.0 .277 32 40 4.19 Flemington 19 23 .452 10.0 .247 28 33 4.10 West Amwell 18 24 .429 11.0 .251 17 38 4.43 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Buckingham 24 18 .571 -- .279 27 26 4.35 Newtown 23 19 .548 1.0 .274 34 18 3.94 Doylestown 20 22 .476 4.0 .256 35 13 3.86 New Hope 15 27 .357 9.0 .263 27 29 4.48 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP Tigers defeat Bears, 2-1

Most Valuable Hitter: Joel Hornstein (NWT) .373/9HR/41RBI/28R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Sean Junker (BUC) 1.31ERA/8-1/69K's

1976 Spring Valley League Hitting Statistics
Spoiler

1976 Spring Valley League Pitching Statistics
Spoiler
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

Career Leaderboard

Award History
Most Valuable Hitter: David Wilcox (STO) .383/13HR/38RBI
Most Valuable Pitcher: Brian Theisen (NEW) 7-2/1.69ERA/49K

Most Valuable Hitter: Graham Tinker (FLE) .353/9HR/41RBI/32R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Don Nied (DOY) 7-0/2.10ERA/33K'S

Most Valuable Hitter: Brian Trick (NWT) .427/14HR/35RBI/28R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Aaron Herman (DOY) 7-2/2.11ERA/77K's

Most Valuable Hitter: Brian Trick (NWT) .331/13HR/35RBI/34R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Dennys Ojeda (DOY) 7-3/2.38ERA/58K

Most Valuable Hitter: Nate Ward (LAM) .398/2HR/15RBI/34R/8SB
Most Valuable Pitcher: Allan Salomine (LAM) 6-0/2.18ERA/25K's

Most Valuable Hitter: Nate Ward (LAM) .374/2HR/10RBI/42R/22SB
Most Valuable Pitcher: Glen Tyrer (LAM) 9-1/2.00ERA/51K's

Most Valuable Hitter: Joel Hornstein (NWT) .373/9HR/41RBI/28R
Most Valuable Pitcher: Sean Junker (BUC) 1.31ERA/8-1/69K's

Championship History
1970: Lambertville Defeated New Hope 2-0
1971: Buckingham Defeated Lambertville 2-0
1972: Stockton Defeated New Hope 2-0
1973: Lambertville Defeated Doylestown 2-0
1974: Stockton Defeated Doylestown 2-1
1975: Lambertville Defeated New Hope 2-1
1976: Lambertville Defeated Buckingham 2-1
Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

1977 Lambertville Tigers Preview

A few changes to the Tigers roster as we begin the 1977 season. Catcher Bryan Brazzel is back and looking healthy, he'll be our everyday Catcher again which leaves Robin Burbridge off the team. The only newcomer is 3B Dusty Shaver, a strong fielder with a very good bat against lefties, he fits in perfectly as he can play 3rd against southpaws and allow Freddy Thornhill to move over to 1st base. Unfortunately this leaves no room for backup infielder Spencer McDiarmid.

I anticipate another really strong offensive year from this team. I'll admit that LF Saul Waner and RF David Rath have never really taken their game to the next level but they're both solid players. Ward and Thornhill will be the bread and butter of the team again though, and hopefully for many years to come.

On the mound we also have one newcomer. 24 year old Jeremy Leigh joins our bullpen. He's a right hander with a real good change and a strong arm. He's got the stuff to start but we don't have any openings in that regard so he'll slot in to our pen. He's got the arm to be a setup man but we'll likely ease him in to that role. Sad to say he takes the spot Charlie Leigh, always hard to let a veteran go and Charlie is an original so it's even harder, but he was just the odd man out in this situation. The starters will stay the same and we expect another solid year from them all, while Clinton Withey returns as our closer.

I never want to get too full of myself but there's no reason this team can't be just as dominant as we have been. Let's go out and get that 3peat.

Code:
Lineup Vs RH Lineup Vs LH 1. 2B Nate Ward 1. 2B Nate Ward 2. SS Shane Ellis 2. SS Shane Ellis 3. LF Saul Waner 3. LF Saul Waner 4. 3B Frederic Thornhill 4. 1B Frederic Thornhill 5. 1B Adam Wells 5. RF David Rath 6. RF David Rath 6. CF Jamie Gault 7. CF Jamie Gault 7. 3B Dusty Shaver 8. C Bryan Brazzel 8. C Bryan Brazzel Bench C Matthew Vickers 2B Jeremy Wilson SS Steve Horst LF Josh Widgery RF Joe Augustine Pitching Staff SP- Glen Tyrer SP- Shawn Stryska SP- Allan Salomone SP- Todd Parnell CL- Clinton Withey SE- Vinny Tindale SR- Jeremy Leigh SR- Grant Bingham MR- Bill Auld MR- Vince Rodd LR- Tim Malorgan
Old 06-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #28
Suicane75
Coordinator

1977 Lambertville Tigers Season Recap

We opened the year with a home and home against West Amwell and just bombarded them in the opening series at their park, sweeping the series and outscoring them 27-5 in the 3 games, including a 13-0 drubbing in the opener.

After a day off we came back to Lambertville and we didn't take our foot off the gas as we swept them again, this time to the tune of 17-3. West Amwell is not very good, but we just made them look silly. We have a day off before heading to Doylestown for a series. The Devils have a league worst 8.10 ERA so maybe we can do some more feasting.

What a wild series against the Devils. We won the first two games 4-3 & 8-7 and then took a 6-2 lead into the 8th inning before our bullpen, namely Bill Auld & Jeremy Leigh imploded and allowed 7 runs. We came back in the top of the 9th and scored 4 times to reclaim the lead. Clinton Withey then came in and loaded the bases with nobody out but got out of it unscathed and we escaped with a wild ass win and our 3rd straight sweep. We're now 9-0 but Flemington at 7-2 and Stockton at 7-4 are also playing very well. Nate Ward is hitting .526 with 11 RBI & 12 runs, Fred Thornhill .452 and Jamie Gault .444 & 6 steals & David Rath with 3 homers are all hitting the hell out of the ball. After a day off we'll host a good Flemington team in a big divisional showdown and then Doylestown in a stretch of 6 straight games.

We simply cannot be stopped right now. We rolled through the series against Flemington with wins of 3-2, 8-1 and 4-2. We're 12-0 and have a 4 game lead over Stockton. Poor West Amwell is 1-11, lol. Tyrer 2.11, Stryska 2.45, Salomone 1.71 & Parnell 3.45 are crushing it. The only problem with our pen is that Auld & Rodd have both struggled, but everyone else is pitching lights out. No days off as we welcome 4-8 Doylestown to town for a 3 game set. They have a 8.05 team ERA which is not good.

We won the first two games of the Doylestown series but then at 14-0, Dennys Ojeda shut us down and Doylestown escaped with a 3-1 victory to give us our first loss on the season. We have a day off before starting another stretch of 6 straight games with a series at home against Newtown. We're gonna use Tim Malorgan as a spot 5th starter in game two due to having so few days off lately, help our starters not get overworked. Newtown is 6-9 and 2 games back in the PA division.

We swept Newtown on scores of 5-0, 6-3 and 2-0. In the, should I be worried, department, Nate Ward is 1 for his last 16. He's never had a stretch like this. We'll see. We're 17-1 and heading right to Flemington for a series before we get a couple of days off.

The first game of the series against Flemington was just one of those days. Stryska only lasted 4 innings, it seemed that every pitcher we brought in got roughed up and Nate Ward took another 0fer. We lost 13-5. After winning the 2nd game we got big time sloppy in the series finale and dropped it 3-1 thanks to a few errors. We have not played real good defense this year. So we lose 2 out of 3 to Flemington and end April and the first half of the season with a 18-3 record and a 5.5 game lead over Stockton. In the PA division it's Buckingham at a stout 10-8 that owns a 2.5 game lead over New Hope. Nate Ward leads the league in hits and runs while Freddy Thornhills 22 RBI pace the league, he's also top 10 in runs and hits. Jamie Gaults 10 steals is best in the league. Gault and Waner are also in the top 10 in hits. We're pretty good. We've got 2 days off before we host New Hope for a series.

We won the first game of the New Hope series but got some bad news as CF Jamie Gault separated his shoulder and will miss most of May. We bring in former Tiger Matthew Ruff to help us out and Josh Widgery will likely get most of the starts in LF in Gaults absence with Saul Waner sliding back over to center. We won game two impressively, coming from 4-0 down in the 7th to score 8 unanswered runs. In the 3rd contest, a Clinton Withey blown save led to an epic 17 inning affair that we finally pulled out to complete the series sweep and move us to 21-3. We'll take 2 days off and play 3 more against New Hope, this time in their park.

We rolled through New Hope with wins of 2-1, 6-1 and 10-0 to improve to 24-3 and a 6 game lead over Stockton who is actually playing really well. Our team ERA is 2.13, which is rather insane. After a day off we head to Buckingham for a 3 game set against the Bears who own a 13-11 record and 1.5 game lead in the PA division.

We took 2 out of 3 from Buckingham, beating Sean Junker and Jorge Moran but losing to Gerrit Roberts with scores of 4-0, 0-2, 2-0. I'll tell ya, that it is a damn fine staff they have. If only they had any kind of lineup. We're 26-4 and have a 6 game lead over Stockton whom we play next in a home and home after a nice little 3 day break. So we should clinch the division in this next stretch of games unless they take all 6 from us and tie this thing up. Heh. The PA division is now a 2 team race as Buckingham and Newtown are tied for the division lead with New Hope in 3rd place, a full 6 games out.

We took 2 out 3 from Stockton to inch closer to the division title. We're 28-5 with a 7 game lead. If we take 2 out of 3 in their place we'll clinch. Newtown has a .5 game lead over Buckingham in the PA division. On we go to Stockton with visions of division titles dancing in our heads.

We came from behind to win the first game of the series 4-3 and clinch at least a tie. Minor bad news as Alan Salomone has a little bit of a back issue so we'll rest him for a week. Tim Malorgan will get a spot start in his place. Behind Fred Thornhills 2 HR, 5 RBI game, we beat the Saints 7-2 in game two to clinch the division. We won the 3rd game of the series to complete the sweep. David Rath hurt his shoulder and will miss just a week, no biggie. We're 30-5, the first team in league history to win 30 games and we've clinched the division with a full 7 games to go. Nice. After a day off we go to Newtown to play the Blues who have a 1.5 game lead on Buckingham in the race for the PA division.

We went 1-2 vs Newtown. including Glen Tyrer taking his first loss of the season and Shawn Stryska taking his 2nd loss. We rested a lot of our guys so I'm not too flussed over it. We host Buckingham for the final series of the season. They trail Newtown by 2 games in the PA division but we're not gonna go full steam in these last 3 games. Our rotation is set up just how we want it with Tyrer and Stryska done throwing till the championship series. This series is gonna be just about getting everyone some playing time and getting all our pitchers a little work as we get ready for the championship. Jamie Gault is back and ready to play, so we're at full strength.

We lost 2 of 3 to Buckingham but that's ok. We finish the season 33-9 and win the division by an amazing 8 games. Newtown wins the PA division by 2 games over Buckingham with a record of 24-18. Nate Ward finishes the year first in hits with 66 and 2nd in runs with 37 and 2nd in steals with 19. Freddy Thornhill finished 8th with 50 hits, tied for 3rd with 8 homers and 3rd with 36 RBI. Saul Waners 54 hits and 27 RBI put him in the top 10 in those categories while David Raths 6 homers and 25 RBI were both good for top 10 finishes. Jamie Gault and Shane Ellis both finished top 10 in steals. We had a good year.

On the mound it was just as dominant. Tyrer and Stryska tied for the lead league in wins with 7 each. Salonone with 6 and Parnell with 5 tied for 3rd and 4th. Tyrers 1.84 ERA led the league while Salomone with 2.00, Stryska at 2.12 and Parnell at 2.24 were 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectivly. Withey led the league by a large margin with 16 saves. Nobody on our staff finished top 10 in strikeouts but who cares.

We'll face off in the championship series against Newtown who are led by 1B Joel Hornstein who hits .343 with 5 homers, 28 RBI and 21 runs and C Tito Ramirez who hit .301 with 5 HR and 20 RBI & 20 Runs. Veteran LF Brian Trick is also still a force in their lineup. They don't really have an ace per sey but Terry Boorman and Fred Wilbanks both have ERA's right near 3.70. They really aren't that great but I can't underestimate them

1977 Lambertville Tigers Team Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-18-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #29
Suicane75
Coordinator

1977 Spring Valley League Championship Series
Lambertville Tigers (33-9) Vs Newtown Blues (24-18)

A lot of stories coming out of game 1 of the championship series played in Newtown as the Blues played in their first Spring Valley League championship series. Tigers ace Glen Tyrer matched up against Blues starter Tony Russell.

The Blues jumped out to a 1-0 lead before we started pouring it on against the overmatched Russell. After scoring twice in the 2nd and 3rd innings we added four runs in the 5th and took an 8-2 lead. Glen Tyrer would go 6 innings and allow 3 runs, not being particularly sharp, but sharp enough. Grant Bingham allowed a 3 run homer to Tito Ramirez in the 7th inning to get the Blues to within 3 runs but that was as close as they got as we closed it out with a 10-6 win in a wild game. Nate Ward had 4 hits, Dusty Shaver and Freddy Thornhill each homered with Shaver driving in 4 runs. The series shifts to Lambertville with the Tigers up 1-0. Unfortunately for Lambertville, star 2B Nate Ward hurt his knee and will miss the rest of the series. It's not a serious injury but he can't play and that could be a big blow to Lambertvilles title hopes.

Shawn Stryska faced off against Tony Boorman in game two and even without Nate Ward, the Tigers offense was sparked by the top of the order as Jamie Gault led off and collected 3 hits, 2 runs and an RBI, while SS Shane Ellis knocked in 2 runs. Meanwhile Stryska threw 7 dominant innings, leaving with a 3-1 lead. Jeremy Leigh and Clinton Withey finished out the game as the Tigers won game 2 and clinched their 3rd straight Spring Valley League title.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-18-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 AM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

Spring Valley League 1977 Recap
Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1977) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 33 9 .786 -- .287 24 57 2.47 Stockton 25 17 .595 8.0 .292 27 36 3.86 Flemington 20 22 .476 13.0 .272 28 30 4.19 West Amwell 14 28 .333 19.0 .239 26 37 5.05 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Newtown 24 18 .571 -- .273 29 7 4.15 Buckingham 22 20 .524 2.0 .254 26 15 3.64 New Hope 15 27 .357 9.0 .276 19 25 4.34 Doylestown 15 27 .357 9.0 .275 45 13 5.82 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Tigers defeat Blues, 2-0

Most Valuable Hitter: Nate Ward (LAM) .405/18RBI/37R/19SB
Most Valuable Pitcher: Glen Tyrer (LAM) 7-1/1.84ERA/46K's

1977 Spring Valley League Hitting Stats
Spoiler

1977 Spring Valley League Pitching Stats
Spoiler
Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #31
Suicane75
Coordinator

1978 Lambertville Tigers Season Preview

Not much changes for the Tigers from an offensive prospective. The roster stays the same with a bit of a lineup tinker as CF Jamie Gault will move to the 2 hole and Frederic Thornhill will move up to the 3 spot. They've both earned it.

On the mound, 24 year old Kevin Wortman has made the club, he'll take Vince Rodds spot in the bullpen. Wortman has a durable arm and a very good two seamer, change and slider. Eventually he could start but right now he'll be slotted in as the main lefty out of the pen. Other than that we're the same team.

Not a real exciting preview I know, but what can I tell ya. I expect us to fourpeat and will be upset if we don't.

Lineup vs RH
1. 2B Nate Ward
2. CF Jamie Gault
3. 3B Frederic Thornhill
4. 1B Adam Wells
5. RF David Rath
6. LF Saul Waner
7. SS Shane Ellis
8. C Bryan Brazzel

Lineup vs LH
1. 2B Nate Ward
2. CF Jamie Gault
3. 1B Frederic Thornhill
4. 3B Dusty Shaver
5. RF David Rath
6. LF Saul Waner
7. SS Shane Ellis
8. C Bryan Brazzel

Bench
C- Matthew Vickers
2B- Jeremy Wilson
SS- Steve Horst
LF- Josh Widgery
RF- Joe Augustine

Pitching Staff
SP- Glen Tyrer
SP- Shawn Stryska
SP- Allan Salomone
SP- Todd Parnell

CL- Clinton Withey
SE- Jeremy Leigh
SE- Kevin Wortman
SR- Vinny Tindale
SR- Grant Bingham
MR- Bill Auld
MR- Tim Malorgan

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-18-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #32
CraigSca
Pro Starter

How did you pick these towns? I used to live in Doylestown and Newtown, work in New Hope, my sister was the banquet manager at Lambertville Station and my college roommate was from Flemington.

It's a small world after all.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #33
Suicane75
Coordinator

Born and raised in Lambertville. Beautiful area.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #34
Suicane75
Coordinator

1978 Lmabertville Tigers Season Recap

We get some bad news before the season begins as Adam Wells tweaks his hamstring and will miss a couple of weeks. Dusty Shaver slides into the lineup vs righties and will play 3B while Freddy Thornhill moves over to 1st base. 3B Vince Micone, who's played with us in 72, 74 & 76 joins the squad.

After winning the season opener in New Hope 3-2 behind Glen Tyrer, we got absolutely demolished in game two. The Knights belted out 25 hits and beat us 20-8 in the worst drubbing we've ever taken. My lord did I not see that coming. Shawn Stryska didn't make it out of the 3rd inning and our bullpen was just as bad. For the love of Lucy. We bounced back to win game three behind a great effort from Allan Salomone, 4-1. We have two days off before heading home for another 3 game set against New Hope. Meanwhile, Stockton is doing their best impersonation of us and is off to a 5-0 start.

We won the opener 3-1 behind a dominant performance from Todd Parnell. Game two was a classic pitchers duel between Glen Tyrer & Josh Gustafson that we pulled out in 10 innings on a game winning hit from Saul Waner. In the series finale, Shawn Stryska redeemed himself with 8 innings of 1 run ball as we escaped with a 2-1 win and a series sweep. We're 5-1 but a game behind Stockton who stand at 7-1. Looks like things could be fun this season. Newtown is 5-1 and lead the PA division by 4 games already. We have two days off before starting a series at the aforementioned Blues.

We won two out of three from Newtown in a series that saw Glen Tyrer get knocked around pretty good and CF Jamie Gault blast 2 grand slams. We're 7-2 and tied with Stockton for the division lead. Newtown at 6-3 is still 3 games up in the PA division. We have a day off and then 6 straight games at home vs West Amwell & Newtown.

We won game 1 of the series against West Amwell on a walk off grand slam from Dusty Shaver to give us a rather improbable 4-3 win. We won the next two games, with another walk off game winning hit in the third contest, to complete the sweep. We're now 10-2 and have a 1 game lead on Stockton. Adam Wells is back so that's nice. Freddy Thornhill is really struggling so far, hitting just .214, though he does have 4 bombs. David Rath at .245 is also underperforming, so hopefully the addition of Wells back to the lineup will help the heart of the order. Everyone else is hitting just fine and dandy. Newtown is up next.

We swept Newtown, including winning the 2nd game on yet another come from behind, walk off hit, this time scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win. We're 13-2 and now own a 3 game lead on Stockton so it's looking like another runaway season. I almost wanted them to keep it close, but whatevs. Need to hype SS Shane Ellis who is hitting .393 with 10 steals on the season. I moved him out of the 2 hole this year and he's responded by hitting the hell out of the ball. Our pitching has been nowhere near as good as in recent years. Stryska owns a 6.35 ERA but still has 3 wins. Our pen has been up and down. Allan Salomone has been magnificent though, he's 3-0 with a 1.04 ERA and 22 K's in 26 IP. We have a day off before starting a home and home against Buckingham with the first three being at their park. Newtowns lead in the PA division is down to half a game over New Hope and even 4th place Doylestown is just 2 games back.

We sweep Buckingham on scores of 6-1, 5-1 and 4-1, so a fairly dominant series. We have 2 days off before starting a series at home against this same Buckingham team. We've now won 10 in a row and are 5 games up.

Our win streak came to an end in the first game of the series when we were shutout by Buckingham lefty Jonathon Baker and lost 3-0. We won the next day 4-1 but were shut down in the finale by Sean Junker as they beat us 3-1 to take two out of three. Not a real impressive series for us. Anyhoo, we end April with a 17-4 record and a 4 game lead on Stockton, so it's still a bit of a race, especially with 6 games coming up against them in May. We have two days off before hosting Flemington for a series. Newtown at 13-10 has a 3 game lead over New Hope in the PA division.

We swept the Flames on scores of 3-1, 11-8 and 3-0. We're 20-4 and we've got a day off before we head to Stockton to play the Saints who are 14-10 and 6 games behind us. Our team ERA is down to 2.80 and we're tied for the lead league in homers with 27.

We won 2 out of 3 from Stockton to inch closer to clinching, unfortunately we lost CF Jamie Gault to a stress fracture in his ankle and he may miss the rest of the season. Ooffah. OF Matthew Ruff rejoins the team in Gaults absence. We're 22-5 with a 6.5 game lead after 3 days off as we head to Flemington for a series. Newtown still holds a 2.5 game lead over New Hope in the PA Division.

We won the first game against Flemington, blanking them 7-0 behind Glen Tyrer. The bad news is that Adam Wells has a shoulder issue that will keep him out for about a week. We lost game two of the series 7-6 when Clinton Withey blew a save chance and allowed a come from behind win.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is it true?

Is what true?

Don't fuck me around Joe, I'm hearing you've got a nice piece of land lined up just up the highway.

Could be.

You couldn't come to me?

Come to you about what? Play one side against the other? That was never my intent.

No, your intent was to just walk away. Or worse, just walk over to the other side?

You're seriously making this about baseball? This is about my life and my future. Chances are I would have moved out there regardless. You know Jenny wants to settle down.

You should have come to me.

I told you, it isn't about playing one side against the other, it's not about who can give me more.

Really? Cause I'm hearing you're getting that land for half of what it's worth, a freeze on the property taxes for the first 10 years and god knows what else.

What is it do you think I owe you Bill?

You don't owe me anything. And I don't owe you anything Joe. You're fired.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #36
Suicane75
Coordinator

1978 Spring Valley League Season Recap

After the firing of Joe Joseph sent shock waves through the Spring Valley League, everything seemed to fall apart for the Lambertville squad. The team limped to the finish line with a 27-15 record and although they clinched much sooner than it would appear, they still only won the NJ division by 1 game over Stockton. Then in the championship series against Newtown, the Blues shocked the Tigers and ended their 3 year reign with a 2 game sweep. Lambertville lost star 2B Nate Ward to an elbow injury not long after Josephs dismissal, but there's no doubt that the team did not react, or play well, following the firing.

Code:
SPRING VALLEY LEAGUE (1978) NEW JERSEY W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Lambertville 27 15 .643 -- .276 36 38 3.17 Stockton 26 16 .619 1.0 .300 39 29 3.67 Flemington 21 21 .500 6.0 .249 18 23 4.17 West Amwell 20 22 .476 7.0 .270 22 21 3.93 PENNSYLVANIA W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Newtown 22 20 .524 -- .267 30 10 3.95 Doylestown 21 21 .500 1.0 .258 39 15 5.09 Buckingham 16 26 .381 6.0 .243 30 9 4.06 New Hope 15 27 .357 7.0 .253 17 23 4.27 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS Blues defeat Tigers, 2-0

Most Valuable Hitter: Frederic Thornhill (LAM) .331/15HR/39RBI/35Runs
Most Valuable Pitcher: Glen Tyrer (LAM) 6-2/1.87ERA/47K's

1977 Spring Valley League Hitting Stats
Spoiler

1977 Spring Valley League Pitching Stats
Spoiler
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #37
Suicane75
Coordinator

I needed a break and it was getting a bit too easy. So when a realtor from West Amwell called and offered me a sweet deal, and more people kept calling with more "offers", yeah I listened. This will be good. West Amwell and Lambertville bleed into one another but there's a lot of undeveloped land out here and the opportunity to settle down and start a family and take over a team from scratch, well that just wetted my whistle. I planned on leaving at the end of the season but those townie fuckers wanted to make a production out of it. So be it. I'll have my foot on their throats in under 5 years.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #38
Suicane75
Coordinator

1979 West Amwell Giants Preview

C- Ken Grieve, 27, 75/79, A career .225 hitter in 240 AB's, Grieve has some minor pop but is really nothing more than the best of a bad lot although he can hit ok against lefties and is really good defensively.

C- C Justin Cunningham, 28, 69/69, Has seen very little time in each of the past 3 seasons but he can hit lefties and plays good defense. His addition does see the end of veteran Jim Daybells time on the team. Daybell has played every season for the Giants and is a respected member of the team, but at 37 and with dwindling talent, I just couldn't justify carrying him on the roster.

1B- Dean Stolyar, 29, 69/69, Lefty bat who's competent but uninspiring from both sides of the play. A carerr .268 hitter with 8 homers in 400 AB's over 3 seasons.

1B- Mike Haddix, 27, 69/69, Switch hitter who could push Stolyar for playing time. A lumbering hitter with a solid swing from both sides of the plate but who didn't show much in his 2 previous stints with the team in 75 & 76.

2B- Chris Livingston, 29, 77/77, The Giants regular 2B since 71, Livingston is a decently well rounded hitter with a career .298 average and 10 homers in 1011 AB's. Has decent speed.

2B- Sheldon Kiernan, 30, 69/69, Has seen limited time in parts of 6 seasons, almost a dopleganger of Livingston but with less pop.

2B- Nelson Tobar, 27, 69/69, Played for Lambertville in 74 and West Amwell the past 2 seasons, can play all over the infield and has decent ability to make contact and a good eye, but not much else.

SS- Barry Yastrzmski, 33, 76/76, Ace defender, good eye, good speed, very little pop. Has been West Amwells starting SS for all 9 years of existence and has a lifetime .287 average.

3B- Troy Borg, 24, 79/86, Very good hitter who is still developing what should be decent power, especially against lefties. Hit .345 last year in his first full season. He's pretty much our shining star.

LF- Pat Sloane, 27, 69/69, Had a cup of coffee in 77. Has good eye and contact ability, especially against lefties. Not much speed or pop though.

CF- Max Turrubiartz, 23, 74/79, Lefty who has great speed and can slap the ball over, can't draw a walk or hit for power though, but that's ok. Has seen a little time in each of the past two seasons, now he gets the call as a starter.

CF- Tony Rider, 30, 69/69, Can play all 3 OF spots well, Rider played spottingly for the Tigers from 70-76 and hasn't made the roster the past 2 seasons. I like his eye and his speed, but other than that he doesn't bring much to the table.

RF- Louis Nilsson, 31, 69/69, Another lefty bat, can play both corner outfield spots, decent vs righties but lost against lefties, minimal power but ok speed. 9 Year veteran, a regular for the last 7 seasons.

RF- Murray Green, 29, 69/69, West Amwells 3B from 70-77, Green transitioned to the outfield some last year and that's where he'll see almost all of his playing time this year. A speedster with 88 career steals, Green his fiersome against lefties but can't hit righties to save his butt.

SP- Joe McFerran, 21, 80/90, Went 4-4 with a 4.08 ERA last season in 9 starts but I feel like with his sharp fastball, strong control and decent curve and screwball he can develop into a front line guy.

SP- Sam Iribarren, 22, 77/89, In 3 seasons he's 13-10 with a 3.28 ERA and 143K's in 211IP. He can be dominant and just like McFerran I think he's ready to come into his own.

SP- Kevin Maltby, 22, 75/86, Pitched 3.1 innings in relief last year but his arm is good enough to start. He doesn't have the control that McFerran & Iribarren have but I think that will come. Has a strong fastball, good change and a decent enough curve.

SP- Joe Segall, 22, 73/84, A newcomer to the team but he has a real solid fastball & curve. Like Maltby his control isn't there yet but it should come around.

CL- Freddy Bonilla, 24, 75/79, Bonilla owns a career 3.38 ERA in 21IP over 3 seasons of limited duty out of the West Amwell bullpen but with a solid fastball and a good curve he's going to be our go to short man. He's not great, but he's the best arm we have in the pen so he's our man.

SE- Jeff Troy, 25, 74/74, Used as a starter in each of his first two seasons, Troy will transition into our primary setup man this year. He's got a wicked slider but both his fastball and change are just average. Still though, gotta make the best of what ya got.

SE- Jamie Macrae, 29, 69/69, A lefty with 3 innings of career work in 76 & 78, Macrae has a very good fastball and a passable slider, he'll be our primary lefty.

MR- Jason Vicinich, 27, 69/69, A newcomer to the team, his fastball is adequate but his slider and curve are decent. Can work multiple innings if needed.

MR- Paul Schumaker, 29, 71/71, Played for Buckingham in 70 & 72 and saw just 13 innings of work. He's got a curve and a fastball, both of which are ok but neither of which standout. Still, of all the crap we saw, his crap earned a spot on the team.

LR- Efrain Dedios, 28, 69/69, Played for me in Lambertville back in 71, has seen some time for West Amwell in 76 & 77. He's got a solid fastball and a curve that's ok. Has a real strong arm and that's about it.

LR- Craig Oldknow, 28, 67/67, A starter for West Amwell since 71, his better days are well behind him but he still has a durable arm and a good fastball, will pitch way out of the back of the pen.

A few veterans and long time Giants that didn't make the team include Pitchers Matthew Parkhurst & Steve Inge. Catcher Jim Daybell, CF Jay Collier, LF Roger Gare & RF Joseph Bisnett. I hope all those guys understand that I have to start from scratch here, but I wont hesitate to call them up if a spot on the team opens up.

Lineup Vs RH
1. CF Max Turrubiartz
2. SS Barry Yastrzemski
3. 3B Troy Berg
4. 1B Dean Stolyar
5. LF Pat Sloane
6. RF Louis Nilsson
7. 2B Chris Livingston
8. C Ken Grieve

Lineup Vs LH
1. CF Tony Rider
2. RF Murray Green
3. 3B Troy Borg
4. C Ken Grieve
5. LF Pat Sloane
6. SS Barry Yastrzemski
7. 2B Chris Livingston
8. 1B Mike Haddix

Bench
C- Justin Cunningham
2B- Sheldon Kiernan
2B- Nelson Tobar

Pitching Staff
SP- Joe McFerran
SP- Sam Iribarren
SP- Kevin Maltby
SP- Joe Segall

CL- Freddy Bonilla
SE- Jeff Troy
SE- Jamie Macrae
MR- Jason Vicinich
MR- Paul Schumaker
LR- Efrain Dedios
LR- Craig Oldknow

If we can approach 20 wins this year I'll be a happy man. Our lineup is good vs lefties but this isn't the Left Handed Pitchers Baseball League, so there's not much solace I can take in that. The hope is to build on what I think is young and talented starting rotation. Hope they keep us in games and we can eek some of them out. Our bullpen really isn't all that good so we'll have to deal with that. Things aren't gonna turn around overnight but we have some building blocks and more than that, I'm going to have fun managing again, even it turns me gray.