Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm going to catch my father! A www.WheresGeorge.com Dynasty

For the past year and a half, my father (who we'll go ahead and call Denton Dave in this dynasty) has been active on a website called WheresGeorge.com. On this website people enter in the year and serial numbers of one, two, five, then, twenty, fifty, and 100 dollar bills and mark on the bill (in whichever fashion the individual deems suitable) the name of the website. Then if another individual gets the bill down the road and enters the bill into the website, both individuals can see where the bill has been. Over a period of months and years, bills get entered into the site numerous times and it's fun to see where the bills wind up.

Like I said earlier, my father has been entering bills on the site for a year and a half now and he is currently the #26 ranked user in all of Texas (we'll get into how ranking are devised later on). He's entered in a whopping 9,167 bills and has received 1,401 hits on those bills (a hit is when another individual enters the bill into the website). Over the past year or so he's been trying to get one of his children to join him in this hobby, and in late October of 2005 I decided to go ahead and do it. I had seen the website before probably around 1999 or 2000, and for some reason I registered for the site in June of 2004, but I didn't enter my first bills until this past October.

At first it was kind of tedious tracking my bills. Entering them into the website wasn't an issue, but I had to handwrite "www.wheresgeorge.com" on both the front and back of all the bills, and that took a LOT of time to do. But after I told my father how I was doing that, he went to the local Staples and made a stamp for me. The stamp says:

"Where has it been?
Track this bill
www.wheresgeorge.com"

The stamp has been a lifesaver and has made it much easier for me to enter large numbers of bills all at once. After entering in only 65 bills over the last half of October I went up to 377 bills in November, 537 bills in December, 879 bills in January (a pace I'm pretty sure I can't keep up), and 291 bills so far in February...giving me a grand total of 2149 bills entered. The hits came very slowly at first, maybe one a week for the first couple of months, but over the last month or so I've been getting two or three hits a day pretty regularly. I just went over the 100 hit mark a few days ago and now have 106 hits total to my name. Click the link if you ever want to see my profile. It updates daily and shows how many bills I have entered, how many hits I have, shows my state and county hit maps, and other assorted goodies.

Like the title of this dynasty states, I'm trying to catch my father in the rankings. Obviously I a LONG way to go before I do so (I'm ranked #162 in texas at the moment) but I do believe that I'm entering bills in at a faster rate than he is currently. I have no idea how long it will actually take me to overtake "Denton Dave", or if I'll ever do so, but I'm sure as hell going to have fun trying!

Over the next few posts I'm going to give a little more of my personal George history and perhaps explain a little bit more about the website in general. Over time I'm going to give daily updates on:
  • Bills entered
  • Hits received
  • Interesting bills found
  • Anything else interesting that might pop into my head that's George related

And if any of you readers (if I wind up with any) have any questions about the website or how I do anything, just ask and I'll be more than happy to answer your questions!

Happy Georging, everyone!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Today I entered in a bunch of bills. I've been slacking over the last week and the bills have started to accumulate. I wound up entering a grand total of 128 bills. They were:

106 $1 bills
1 $2 bill
4 $5 bills
9 $10 bills
7 $20 bills
1 $100 bill

The interesting thing about todays bunch is that I entered in my first "Tom", what Georgers like to call their two dollar bills. I've never really been very fond of twos, but for some reason they really seem to be popular with the George crowd and it seems a fair number of the high ranking players like to get stacks of them from the bank to stamp and spend. I got this Tom from work, where I get the vast majority of my bills, when I was bartending Sunday morning.

Like I said in the first message, my rank as of this morning (rankings are calculated once a day early in the morning) is #162 in Texas with George Score of 739.36. What's a George Score, you ask? Well, it's a complex system that calculates your bills entered, your hits, and your days of inactivity and spits out a number. Here's the official formula, if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.WheresGeorge.com
The George Score is calculated as follows:
100* ( SQRT(LN(Bills Entered)) + LN(Hits + 1) ) * [1 - (Days of Inactivity / 100)]
Where:
LN = natural log
SQRT = square root
"Bills Entered" is the total number of bills you have entered.
"Hits" is total number of hits you have received.
"Days of Inactivity" is the number of days since you last ran the 'Your Bills' report.

This score is used to determine an individuals ranking.

I've had three hits today, but none of them are too interesting. To check them out, just click on the links...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...8258fcec065084
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...015874c469a6b1
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...d1631bf1537133

I'm just glad that the person who spent my bills used them for good and bought Girl Scout Cookies with them rather than something no quite so wholesome.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Unless your father is a banker, I'd imagine you'll catch him pretty quickly. I'd imagine you have your hands on more bills each day due to bartending/waiting. Good luck, I'll have to register a bill, then come tip you at OG.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Nah, my pops isn't a banker. But what he does is go to the bank every week or so and withdraw a big bundle of bills to enter and stamp. Then that's his spending money for the next week (or so). I tell you what, it's really cut down on my parent's credit card debt...

Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Will he ever go on vacation? If he gets hit with some inactivity, that will help.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh, funny that you mention that. A couple of months ago my father and his brother's took a trip down to Antarctica. When he left he was ranked somewhere around #45 in Texas but when he got back from the week and half trip he had dropped down into the seventies. But what REALLY pissed him off was that no one in Argentina would take the bills with stamps on them because they said that the bank there wouldn't accept them. So he brought a bunch of bills all that way and didn't get a chance to use them...

Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
took a trip down to Antarctica.

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

As of this morning I've moved up four spots and am now #158 in Texas and my pops is still at #26.

So like I mentioned earlier in the dynasty, it took quite a while for the hits to start coming in. Well, kinda. What really got me to become a Georger was that one week I found three George bills in the cash drawer of the OG bar. I knew my dad would want them, so I took them out and kept them to give to him the next time I saw him. I then e-mailed my dad and told him what I had, and he told me to go ahead and enter them in myself before I gave them to him. After that I was hooked...but when I gave the bills to my father he entered them in as well and that gave me my first three hits. Here are the hit reports for those bills.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...76e5d4073622d5
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...ffbe4bbb1e779e
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...865673d4fd38d4

It took another two and a half weeks before I got my first non-Pops hit, but after that they started rolling in with some regularity and they haven't stopped!

First (non-Pops) hit

25th hit

50th hit

100th hit

Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

I just got my first hit of the day. It is my 107th overall hit and the 99th bill that I've entered to have received a hit. The hit is from the town of Kennedale, TX, which is apparently somewhere in the vicinity of Fort Worth. Nothing too exciting there, the excitement comes when the rare out of state hits happen.

The disappointing thing about this hit is that someone used my money to buy the evil that is McDonalds. Excuse me for a moment while I vomit...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...1450319e72fcca

Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999

Heh, it's actually the second time he's gone down there. He loves seeing the iceburgs and penguins!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

funny dynasty. I'm entering whatever little bill comes through my hands at www.whereswilly.com although I've yet to experience the exhilaration of having a hit on one of my bills

I'm not crazy enough to have a stamp made for me though...

Good luck!

FM
Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks! I was hoping that you would stop by here, FM. Just keep on entering them and sooner or later you'll get a hit or two. How many bills have you entered so far?

Just got another hit, it looks like it might be a good day. This one was from Cleburne, TX in Johnson County...about two counties to the south of me. No description of where he/she got the bill, though...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...89840b76617ede

That's officially the 100th bill of mine to get a hit! And it puts me at 108 hits overall...

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-16-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! I was hoping that you would stop by here, FM. Just keep on entering them and sooner or later you'll get a hit or two. How many bills have you entered so far?

hehe, didn't know if you'd remember me entering some. I've only got 46 entered so far and I have written the url on maybe only 5 or 6 of them. I'll start writing it from now on. Just wrote it on my four I just entered....

Here's a link to my profile:
http://www.whereswilly.com/user_prof...f6d231bc8f9b45

I hover around 110th in Quebec, so not very good, but I've only been entering bills since December. I find it kinda funny and since it's free, well, why not. Oh, and I'm a geek, that helps enjoy that kind of thing

Obviously, I don't come accros as many bills as you, but whatever bill I get my hands on, I try to enter it.

Quick question, how did your dad enter the maps in his profile? Is it something you can do only on WheresGeorge? I can't seem to find a way on WheresWilly...

FM
Old 02-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

In order to get the maps you have to be a "Friend of George". You become a FoG by donating six bucks a month to the site. For that six bucks you get:

1. No banner or pop-up ads! Pages will load much faster!
2. More Daily runs/refreshes of the Your Bills and Hits by Zip Code Bill Detail Reports.
For detailed Information, Click Here
3. Where's George? only: Dynamically generated Hits by State and Hits by County Maps (See This Page for details)
4. Default User Notes, Bill Note Signatures, and Default Anon Email Messages stored for automatic entry with your bills and Anon notes
5. "Total Bills Entered" variable/counter for your bill notes. (use "@CNT@" in your default bill note to insert the counter).
6. Image Hosting (host up to 10 images on the Where's George? server that you can link to from other websites.)
7. 'Last Hit Timer' displays the time and date of your last hit
8. Full Zip Code and County information displayed for each bill entry
9. Icons on Bill Reports to denote repeat hits from the same Internet Service Provider or an identical Internet Protocol Address
10. Fully visible User Notes on George's Top 10 Hits lists
11. Where's George? Children report
12. Subscribe to other peoples' bills on your favorites page - be notified of their hits, too
13. Help improve the site by adding or editing the 'Help' page on any website page
14. Favorite Folders - Organize your favorite bills into folders
15. Turn off the Coolness Index, State Flags, and Production Stats in bill reports
16. Priority e-mail support. Your questions and comments get top priority!
17. Full-Text bill note searching (beta)
18. More new features and benefits to come!

After you enter in 500 bills you get a free month as a FoG to try and get you hooked on all the special features. After that you gotta pay, though.

Yeah, make sure you put the URL on the bills. Bills that are entered but not marked are called "stealth" bills and very rarely get hits. It's difficult enough getting hits on bills that are stamped, imagine how rare it is for a stealth!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
In order to get the maps you have to be a "Friend of George". You become a FoG by donating six bucks a month to the site. For that six bucks you get:

wow, while it's nice little list of features, I don't see myself paying $72 a year for that (fwiw, a bo costs $75cdn, I'll probably break one a year, there's the $72 ). I'll simply keep on entering my bills and will try to remember to write the URL

FM
Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #16
KevinNU7
College Starter

Am I the only person who is annoyed that people find it acceptable to print on our currency?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

As long as it's not marked upon in a manner that renders the bill unspendable, what's the problem?

Old 02-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Am I the only person who is annoyed that people find it acceptable to print on our currency?

I'm not printing on your currency

FM
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

After I got home from work I had a couple more hits waiting for me.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...f63780c761e7c8
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...abd6729526d3f1

The second one is what Georger's call a "two-hitter", meaning that I've received two hits on the same bill. That one there gives me five two-hitters so far...and earlier in the week I actually got my first three-hitter!

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...70cceecb9dff21

And just for a reference point, the most hits that a single bill has ever had is 15. That bill actually bounced around my area for a while a couple of years ago...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...cd1dbaa21b4477

And click on the following link if you want to see the top ten bill in Where's George history...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/wrapper....=top10bills_d0

The hits this evening give me 110 hits overall and 101 bills with hits. I'll give an update on my ranking bright and early tomorrow morning!

Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7

Well, since there's enough germs and bacteria on our currency that it's like people are effectively wiping their ass with it, no, I don't have a problem with those who just print on it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Man, I can't tell you how disgusted I get when I see some on my co-workers hold bills in their mouths when they're in a hurry and making change for a guest. Cause cash certainly is filthy stuff. And I make sure to wash my hands thoroughly when I'm done sorting and stamping my bills...

No hits for me overnight, and I apparently slipped a spot in the rankings. I'm now down to #159 in Texas. The "good" news is that my dad also fell a spot, to #27.

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-17-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome, it looks like I'm the top ranked user in my city, though that jerk Wayne is RIGHT on my ass at #160...

Code:
Rank in First City George Bills Bills Hit Total Days of State Name Score Entered with Rate Hits Inactivity by Score Hits 3,331 Ronda Lewisville 0.00 7 0 0.00% 0 141 1,684 Joseph Lewisville 0.00 76 0 0.00% 0 752 695 Richard Lewisville 205.82 15 2 13.33% 2 25 2,517 Amy Lewisville 0.00 52 0 0.00% 0 553 1,431 pj /jen lewisville 0.00 46 1 2.17% 1 442 1,538 taylor Lewisville 0.00 13 0 0.00% 0 519 1,960 Austin Lewisville 0.00 15 0 0.00% 0 316 4,452 Sarah Lewisville 0.00 9 1 11.11% 1 270 1,213 Zac Lewisville 53.28 5 0 0.00% 0 58 2,194 Alfo Lewisville 0.00 28 0 0.00% 0 1738 727 Mark Lewisville 192.06 40 0 0.00% 0 2 160 Wayne Lewisville 747.38 1,714 112 6.53% 114 3 2,206 Kathryn Lewisville 0.00 65 6 9.23% 7 200 3,849 Lori Lewisville 0.00 5 0 0.00% 0 1389 4,439 Deanna Lewisville 0.00 3 0 0.00% 0 237 624 Richard Lewisville 237.23 772 0 0.00% 0 8 3,434 Drew Lewisville 0.00 3 0 0.00% 0 488 1,691 Steve Lewisville 0.00 7 1 14.29% 1 264 499 Jim Lewisville 319.12 65 6 9.23% 6 20 379 Karen Lewisville 445.99 397 10 2.52% 12 11 2,477 Jeffrey Lewisville 0.00 95 0 0.00% 0 1709 159 Jeremy Lewisville 747.95 2,149 101 4.70% 110 1 3,569 C & B Lewisville 0.00 389 28 7.20% 33 767 4,267 Malissa Lewisvilla 0.00 16 1 6.25% 1 951

Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't know why so much space is being put between the tables (HTML really isn't my thing), but here's some interesting stats about my bills...

Edit: Mostly fixed thanks to the help from sov. Thanks for the suggestion!

Breakdown by Denomination - Hide
DenominationBills
Entered
Percent
of Total
Bills with
hits
Hit
Rate
One1,66277.34%885.3%
Twenty1838.52%21.1%
Five1798.33%84.5%
Ten984.56%33.1%
Hundred190.88%00.0%
Fifty50.23%00.0%
Ten (old style)20.09%00.0%
Two10.05%00.0%

Breakdown by Series - Hide
SeriesBills
Entered
Percent
of Total
Bills with
hits
Hit
Rate
20031,11251.74%575.1%
200140118.66%225.5%
199922810.61%62.6%
2003A21710.10%104.6%
20041105.12%21.8%
1995341.58%38.8%
1996221.02%00.0%
2004A180.84%00.0%
1988A20.09%00.0%
1977 1 0.05% 0 0.0%
1981A 1 0.05% 0 0.0%
1993 1 0.05% 0 0.0%
1969C 1 0.05% 0 0.0%
1969D 1 0.05% 1 100.0%

Star Notes by Denomination/Series - Hide
Denomination/Series Bills
Entered
Percent
of Total
Bills with
hits
Hit
Rate
One/2003 4 0.19% 0 0.0%
One/2001 1 0.05% 0 0.0%

Breakdown by Federal Reserve Bank - Hide
Federal Reserve Bank Bills
Entered
Percent
of Total
Bills with
hits
Hit
Rate
Dallas(K) 421 19.6% 21 5.0%
Chicago(G) 357 16.6% 15 4.2%
San Francisco(L) 334 15.5% 15 4.5%
Atlanta(F) 247 11.5% 16 6.5%
Kansas City(J) 203 9.4% 6 3.0%
New York(B) 178 8.3% 8 4.5%
Richmond(E) 113 5.3% 4 3.5%
St. Louis(H) 81 3.8% 8 9.9%
Philadelphia(C) 78 3.6% 2 2.6%
Boston(A) 74 3.4% 6 8.1%
Cleveland(D) 47 2.2% 0 0.0%
Minneapolis(I) 16 0.7% 0 0.0%

Breakdown by Year - Hide
Year Bills
Entered
Dollar
Value
Average
Bill
Value
Percent
of Total
Cumulative
Total
Bills with
hits *
Hit
Rate
Cumulative
Hits
2005 979 $4,745 $4.85 45.56% 979 58 5.9% 58
2006 1,170 $4,624 $3.95 54.44% 2,149 43 3.7% 101
* Bills entered that year which have received at least one hit.

Breakdown by Month - Hide
Month Bills
Entered
Dollar
Value
Average
Bill
Value
Percent
of Total
Cumulative
Total
Bills with
hits *
Hit
Rate
Cumulative
Hits
2005-10 65 $721 $11.09 3.02% 65 3 4.6% 3
2005-11 377 $1,757 $4.66 17.54% 442 19 5.0% 22
2005-12 537 $2,267 $4.22 24.99% 979 36 6.7% 58
2006-01 879 $3,713 $4.22 40.90% 1,858 40 4.6% 98
2006-02 291 $911 $3.13 13.54% 2,149 3 1.0% 101
* Bills entered that month which have received at least one hit.

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-17-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

I just got first hit of the day, and it's another two-hitter! This one has gone from Lewisville to Fort Worth to Dallas, forming a nice DFW triangle...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...d02eff4bc35254

That's hit #111 for me.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

I just entered in a small cache of bills. Last night was slow at work so I didn't get very many new bills. And since I have today and tomorrow off ( ) I won't be getting any new bills to enter over the next few days...

Today I entered in:

$1 - 9
$5 - 3
$100 - 1

That puts me at a grand total of 2,162 bills entered so far...

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-17-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #26
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know why so much space is being put between the tables (HTML really isn't my thing), but here's some interesting stats about my bills...

It has to due with the carriages in your html code or how the code is on separate lines. vBulletin wants html code to be continuous and without breaks. If you're motivated enough, the best way to alleviate this problem is to put the html code in a text editor and replace all the carriages/returns with nothing (if that makes sense).
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm not sure how to go about doing that, and it's probably not really big enough of a deal to worry about fixing. Thanks, though...

Old 02-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Got another hit today, this one from here in Lewisville. Looks like one of my bills made its way into a local school...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...ca40fac7e95e48

Hit number 112 on bill number 102.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

No hits overnight again. But this time I moved up a couple of spots in the rankings. I'm now #157 in Texas...and my father fell TWO spots, so he's now #29 in the state!

Old 02-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

I got a hit yesterday evening. Nothing earthshattering, just a hit from the city to the northwest...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...72c6bb8e5b7a8b

Looks like I lost some ground yesterday, though. I'm down to #160 in Texas while my dad dropped a single spot to #30.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

Yesterday I had two hits yesterday:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...1fe59efe5f3199

That one is a good hit because it's my first hit in Harris County...Houston country. Also, it made me smile because my bill found its way to a fellow bartender.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...551310b4a4a961

That one isn't anything special, just another hit in Lewisville...

Those were hits #113 and 114...

Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Looks like my lack of entering bills this weekend has caught up with me as I dropped down to #164 in Texas. My father is down to #33, so I'm not the only one who dropped down the charts.

I got two hits today:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...115e567ef2f1b2

This bill is actually one that I got from my father about a month ago. My car battery died and he offered to help me out with it and gave me a handfull of bills. So this hit actually helps both of us, though an Addison hit in of itself really isn't that special.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.p...a1b665f87c0abe

This one wound up down the road in Flower Mound, the fourth bill to make it over there.

Those are hits 115 and 116 for me. I've now had hits 12 days in a row. I think my previous record was 13 days, so if I get a hit tomorrow I'll tie the sucker...

I have a bundle of bills that I got at work today, but I haven't had a chance to enter them yet. I'll likely enter them tomorrow afternoon and hopefully that'll help my score to go back up.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #33
Franklinnoble
Banned

Funny... I tried this website out in November of 2004... I have exactly one bill registered, and it has received no hits.

Would it be considered "cheating" to mail a few bills to friends and relatives around the country, just to see where they end up?

I think spending them at truck stops and airports would be a good way to get bills to travel.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

Good to see ya, Franky!

Yeah, I know that a lot of hard core Georgers like to spend bills at airports to get them to distant spots, and I'm sure that truck stops would deliver similair results.

You're not really supposed to give bills to folks for the sole purpose of them giving you a hit, but really...who's gonna know? I'm not supposed to deposit stamped bills at the bank (something having to do with hurting "natural circulation") but I do it anyways cause I gotta pay my bills.

The chances of your single bill getting a hit are pretty slim. It could get torn and thrown away, lost, deposited in a bank and stored there for years, etc. I think I had between 50-100 bills in circulation before I got my first hit, it takes a little effort. That's one of the problems with the site, when folks don't get results right away they get frustrated and quit. If you're gonna be a succesful Georger you need to be at least semi-serious about it.

I've slacked on updates the past couple of days. I probably won't have time for them today, but I'll be sure to give one tomorrow...

Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #35
Franklinnoble
Banned

How much did your stamp cost you?

What are the odds that your dad shows up here and starts a thread entitled "I'm going to catch my son! A FOFC Dolaposting Dynasty"?

Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

My pops was actually kind enough to buy the stamp for me, but I think it cost around $15 at Staples. Any office supply store should be able to make one.

Heh, I don't think my dad knows this place exists. It would probably completely change my posting if he showed up! Can't act like the perv I am in front of the old man, can I?

Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #37
Franklinnoble
Banned

I haven't generally observed your posting to be anything a parent would be ashamed of.

Well, except for the sheer volume of time you waste here... but, I can't really talk in that regard. ;-)
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #38
Franklinnoble
Banned

So, how 'bout an update, slacker...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #39
Franklinnoble
Banned

FYI - Here's how I'm doing:

'Your Bills' Summary Statistics - Hide
You have entered 30 Bills worth $183
Bills with hits: 0 Total hits: 0
Hit rate: 0.00% Slugging Percentage: 0.00% (total hits/total bills)
George Score: 0.00
Congratulations! You are tied for First Place
among all the users that have no George Score yet.
Your State Rank in California is: 1,434 out of 7,600 [81.1]

So, basically, I suck.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
So, how 'bout an update, slacker...

So I took a couple of months off because my stamp broke and (a) writing "www.WheresGeorge.com" on the front and back of all those bills is EXTREMELY tedious work, and (b) I was too damn lazy to go to the store and get a new stamp made. But recently my father told me about www.Stamp-Connection.com and the George stamps they have for sale there...specifically cool stamps that use an oil based ink that won't wash out of the bills. Well, on Friday I got around to ordering one (http://www.stamp-connection.com/products/WG-XL75.html) and it arrived this afternoon! So now I have a back log of around 400 singles that have been entered but need to be stamped, so I'll get those taken care over the next couple of days and then start entering some new bills.

It's funny, though. Even though I haven't been actively entering bills for the past two months, my ranking still went up quite a bit. I was stilling getting a hit or two just about every day, and as long as I visited the site fairly often my score didn't suffer too much. So while I was away I went from #164 in Texas all the way up to #126! Hopefully once I get all these bills out and about I'll move up even more...

I'll post some more info tomorrow...I need to get started stamping now!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #41
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sweet...

I did the manual entry thing for a while, and it did indeed suck. Still, I'm not sure I can justify a $20 stamp for this sort of hobby... but I'm tempted...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

If I had hand written on all of the 400 bills I had backlogged, there's no telling how many hours it would have taken. But using the stamp, it took me a mere 45 minutes...

AND the stamp is probably more visible and likely to get a second or third glance from someone than a handwritten note.

Of course, it all depends upon how serious you're planning on getting. If you're just going to do a few bills every now and then, it's probably not the wisest investment. But if you think that you're going to get fairly into it, it's worth every damn cent.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #43
wade moore
lolzcat

Hmmm...

My G/F does the money for a big relay for life fundraiser... we just got done turning in TONS of cash, too bad I didn't have the patience to do this with that money ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

I just got finished entering and stamping a wad of bills from this past week or so. I've been saving bills up since I decided to order a new stamp about the middle of last week...

Today I entered in 94 bills worth a total of $386:

$1 - 81
$5 - 5
$10 - 4
$20 - 2
$100 - 2

I'm still at #126 in Texas...the same place I was yesterday. Over the break my father moved up a bit and as of today he's #26 in the state. So I have quite a ways to go before I get anywhere near him.

As of right now, I have a total of 199 bills that have received hits for 223 hits overall.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #45
JeeberD
General Manager

And I thought I was pass along a semi-amusing anecdote...

Yesterday at work I came across a one dollar bill that had a URL written along the top, left-hand border. It obviously wasn't the George URL, but I thought that someone might be doing some home grown Georging or something. So I decided to take it home with me and check it out.

Of course, in the back of my mind I'm wondering if some asshole is using bills to spread a virus that he wrote, but I figured it was a longshot. So when I got home I got online and entered the URL into Firefox and hit enter. As soon as I did that, up popped my download manager asking where I wanted to download the .exe file! I don't think I've hit "Cancel" faster in my life!

Today, though, I thought I would do a Google search on the name of the file it tried to download to see if it was a known virus or what. So I entered the URL again and when the download manager opened up I copied the name of the file (AdbeRdr70_DLM_enu_full.exe) into Google. Well, it turns out that file is the name of the .exe for Adobe reader 7.0! So either someone is trying some sort of sneaky viral marketing type thing to get Adobe Reader even more well known, or some jackass is trying to spread a virus under the name of Adobe Reader. I don't feel like taking a risk and finding out which it is, though...

Old 05-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #46
IwasHere
Banned

The scoring system kind of sucks since you don't get more points for each time the same bill is entered.

How many bills that already have the wheresgeorge.com have you and your Dad seen, or entered?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Here is my Hit Map:

Legend:
Number of HitsState Color
No Hits
Less than 2
2 to 9
10 to 24
25 to 49
50 or more

Here is my Hits by County Map:

Legend:
Number of HitsCounty Color
No Hits   
Less than 2   
2 to 3   
4 to 9   
10 to 14   
15 or more   

Hits by State - USA - Hide
You have 223 hits in 17 States
RankStateHits by ZipHits by CountyHits by CityHits
1.Texas (TX)ClickClickClick184
2.Oklahoma (OK)Click ClickClick15
3.California (CA)ClickClickClick5
4.Louisiana (LA)ClickClickClick4
5.New Jersey (NJ)Click ClickClick2
6.Mississippi (MS)ClickClickClick2
7.North Carolina (NC)ClickClickClick1
8.Georgia (GA)ClickClickClick1
9.Florida (FL)ClickClickClick1
10.Tennessee (TN)ClickClickClick1
11.Ohio (OH)ClickClickClick1
12.Michigan (MI)ClickClickClick1
13.Wisconsin (WI)ClickClickClick1
14.Minnesota (MN)ClickClickClick1
15.Illinois (IL)ClickClickClick1
16.Colorado (CO)ClickClickClick1
17.Arizona (AZ)ClickClickClick1
18.Alaska (AK)---------0
19.Alabama (AL)---------0
20.Arkansas (AR)---------0
21.Connecticut (CT)---------0
22.District of Columbia (DC)---------0
23.Delaware (DE)---------0
24.Hawaii (HI)---------0
25.Iowa (IA)---------0
26.Idaho (ID)---------0
27.Indiana (IN)---------0
28.Kansas (KS)---------0
29.Kentucky (KY)---------0
30.Massachusetts (MA)---------0
31.Maryland (MD)---------0
32.Maine (ME)---------0
33.Missouri (MO)---------0
34.Northern Mariana Islands (MP)---------0
35.Montana (MT)---------0
36.North Dakota (ND)---------0
37.Nebraska (NE)---------0
38.New Hampshire (NH)---------0
39.New Mexico (NM)---------0
40.Nevada (NV)---------0
41.New York (NY)---------0
42.Oregon (OR)---------0
43.Pennsylvania (PA)---------0
44.Puerto Rico (PR)---------0
45.Rhode Island (RI)---------0
46.South Carolina (SC)---------0
47.South Dakota (SD)---------0
48.Utah (UT)---------0
49.Virginia (VA)---------0
50.Virgin Islands (VI)---------0
51.Vermont (VT)---------0
52.Washington (WA)---------0
53.West Virginia (WV)---------0
54.Wyoming (WY)---------0

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-16-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #48
Franklinnoble
Banned

Nor-cal represent!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #49
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
How many bills that already have the wheresgeorge.com have you and your Dad seen, or entered?

I've hit 26 George bills, but 20 of those were bills that I got from my dad for one reason or another. So really I've only hit six "Wild Georges".

My dad kind of cheats when it comes to hitting bills...he made friends with a teller at the bank he goes to and the teller now sets aside George bills that he comes across and gives them to my dad when he comes in. I'm not sure how many bills he's hit, but it's gotta be a pretty good number...

Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #50
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Nor-cal represent!

Hits by City - CA
You have 5 hits in 5 CA Cities
RankCityHits
1.Garden Grove1