Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #401
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
I had a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds, lost all after the "downtime", only received a 1st rounder back, no 2nd or 3rd.

Maybe I'll get a 2nd and 3rd after my leagues playoffs end.

It may depend on how "new" the league you're playing is. If your league was at day 15 or below in the schedule, you receive the new drafting system this season. Anything later gets next season I believe.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #402
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It may depend on how "new" the league you're playing is. If your league was at day 15 or below in the schedule, you receive the new drafting system this season. Anything later gets next season I believe.

That's not right, it should be for all teams, regardless of what day it was.
I am sure that there are players that feel this is unfair.

Some teams get the benefit, while others have to play out another season, for his untimely "downtime".

It was he(Adam) who wanted a new drafting system, and he should make it available for all, not just the lucky ones.

By him not having a back-up database, some players ended up screwed, and some gained unfairly.

He could've compensated the ones that lost draft picks, if he wanted to.
Says he couldn't, but I know better.

It's disappointing that he chose to let what happened, happen.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #403
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's not right, it should be for all teams, regardless of what day it was.
I am sure that there are players that feel this is unfair.

Some teams get the benefit, while others have to play out another season, for his untimely "downtime".

It was he(Adam) who wanted a new drafting system, and he should make it available for all, not just the lucky ones.

By him not having a back-up database, some players ended up screwed, and some gained unfairly.

He could've compensated the ones that lost draft picks, if he wanted to.
Says he couldn't, but I know better.

It's disappointing that he chose to let what happened, happen.

I agree that the idea was poorly implemented. I'm not sure what else he could have done though.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #404
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I agree that the idea was poorly implemented. I'm not sure what else he could have done though.

The first and foremost thing that he should've done, is backup the database.
That way, if there were any issues, then the backup gets put in place.

This should've been a no-brainer for Adam.

Maybe next time, he'll do this.

By not compensating for the loses of the unlucky ones, is bad for anyone running a web game. I would assume that this is a learning process(trial and error)for Adam.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #405
Travis
Pro Rookie

So the goalie cap has been eliminated (now goalies too can achieve up to a 100 rating).

My worst team gets a +2 bump to their goalie today, making him one of 7 or 8 goalies in the game now with a 96 rating.

Only catch?

Yep, he's currently injured and wasn't available for games today, heh.

Now if only one of my two "good" teams could get that bump, then we're talking.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #406
RendeR
Coordinator

I've got all 4 teams in their respective off seasons. The new drafting thing baffles me to know end. If you forget to set your order you apparently get...nothing? I had two teams never have a draft class loaded for them.

Whatever. The more he complicates the game the less fun I'm having. At the very least it may well end up with me letting a team or two fall to the side and concentrate on one team only.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #407
samifan24
Pro Starter

I HATE this new drafting system. My team got two goalies in the first two rounds! I wanted the first goalie but in the 2nd round I got another 17 year old, 80 R goalie. I purposely moved all goalies to the very end of my rankings to avoid this happening but it happened anyway. All I can think of is that this is a bug. At least during the old system you could pick which type of player you wanted so you had some input into the type of team you were building. Now I just get stuck with someone based on rankings which are ignored anyway. It appears the game goes by the default rankings and not the scout rankings which makes absolutely no sense.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #408
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm with you. I hate the new drafting program, its terrible and it gives you zero control of who you actually get.

I've got all my teams just sitting for now. I've lost interest in it since he did the draft change. Ruined the game for me at this point.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #409
Travis
Pro Rookie

Re: Drafting

I've done two so far with no issues selection wise. I scouted some of the guys to see how my scouts liked them vs the league wide ranking, then for each round would reorder them based on what player types I wanted.

Now just to be clear, did you guys change the "Your Rank" order for the guys you've wanted? I've only ever re-ordered enough guys on my list to cover where my pick would fall for that round and haven't had anybody lower than the last guy on my short list be picked (and a couple times got higher guys just because other teams were picking guys I didn't include on my short list).

The reason I ask and am looking for clarification is because I've got a couple drafts coming up in the next week so just trying to figure out if there are some issues that have cropped up since my last draft.

I guess for me I'm the oddball as I think this style draft is a lot more realistic and while you don't control the player type you have a lot more control of player quality provided you do some scouting. Seems a bit more in line with real life in the sense that in the first, if you do it properly, you're going to get a good player, but depending on the year, the type may not mesh exactly with your team needs so you have to decide whether to take a lower caliber player to fit a certain need or to go for that better player and maybe create a log jam at a certain spot.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #410
BillyNYC
High School JV

Just finished my first ever draft and had no problems. Just ordered "your rank" down to whatever number pick and got the top player on my ranking list that was left.

Nice draft too:
83 playmaker (1, 9th pick)
91 goalie (1, sandwich (10th))
83 goalie (2, 19)
69 playmaker (3, 28)

As 1st place team, I picked last, but had a decent idea of which player I'd get, so no real surprises. Based on scout rankings and stats, I didn't love any of the 2nd rounders, so grabbed another goalie. We'll see how it works out.

In league, rolled through the season at 56-16 and got Dominance Trophy (on up to level 2...yay), but lost my first game in the semis today. Oh well.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #411
samifan24
Pro Starter

To answer your question, Travis, yes I adjusted my rankings based on what my scout told me. Now I have a 17 yo 89 R goalie and a 17 yo 80 R goalie with my first two picks. Swell.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #412
bbor
Pro Starter

Not big on the new draft system,but i will still be playing.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #413
samifan24
Pro Starter

Although he was unable to find a bug, Adam did credit me with a free month of donation status, which I thought was a nice gesture. I guess it was my mistake since no one else reported seeing the same problem in the forums.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #414
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Although he was unable to find a bug, Adam did credit me with a free month of donation status, which I thought was a nice gesture. I guess it was my mistake since no one else reported seeing the same problem in the forums.

That is a nice touch really. It's been nice to see that he is pretty easy to get a hold of and is willing to put the player/customer first while also improving the game on a pretty consistent basis and certainly isn't afraid to hand out some perks to make up for rough spots. Makes it a bit easier to continue to support the game even if there are some aggravations from time to time.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #415
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've started the FOFC League, a 15 team, any level league. Please join.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #416
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've started the FOFC League, a 15 team, any level league. Please join.

I can make it, but it'll be at most 12 days before I can join.
My league is only on day 20, so including today I figure 12 days.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #417
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey guys, who all is still playing? I see a few active guys still in there. Speaking of, looks like Bbor and I have a decent chance of having a show down for the MetroHo Cup in our current league. We're currently sitting 1st and 3rd with around 15 games left to go in the regular season.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #418
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Hey guys, who all is still playing? I see a few active guys still in there. Speaking of, looks like Bbor and I have a decent chance of having a show down for the MetroHo Cup in our current league. We're currently sitting 1st and 3rd with around 15 games left to go in the regular season.

What league would that be?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #419
Travis
Pro Rookie

It's called "All Levels League", currently in day 18.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #420
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm currently run the following teams there:

The BDD HC
The Blades of Glory
The Little Pucks
The Slingin' Dirt

If you're wondering, all my teams play in different leagues, and no trading between them.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #421
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
It's called "All Levels League", currently in day 18.

I'm in 7th.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #422
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm currently playing a shinny against your team Travis.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #423
Travis
Pro Rookie

And did quite well I see, heh.

I'm still running the Lynx, Hunters and Knights. At cross roads with the Hunters, nearly have the Lynx rebuilt (having a 99 rated goalie has accelerated the results but the team in front of him is nearly to how I'd like it) and the Knights are also almost through a rebuild. Just trying to draft a few guys so that each team has a true checking line (now that you can designate PK and PP lines).
Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #424
BillyNYC
High School JV

Just finished my third season, and first in level 2. Missed playoffs for first time (15-team league, so not demoted). Have been building nicely and after FAs, should be around top 100 ranking. Game's still fun, especially with all the random shinny tournaments people put together.

Oh, I'm Shaolin Landfills btw.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #425
samifan24
Pro Starter

My team, the Whale, are still around, in like their 10th season without ever winning a Metro Cup. I'm going to create another 15 team league when I sign enough forwards.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #426
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm glad some folks are still playing this. I haven't done anything with my teams in a couple months or more. Might take a gander at them when I get bored again but I got kinda tired of it after while and the change in drafting really threw me.

Good luck to you all!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #427
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm currently run the following teams there:

The BDD HC
The Blades of Glory
The Little Pucks
The Slingin' Dirt

If you're wondering, all my teams play in different leagues, and no trading between them.

I'm in a leagye with BDD HC right now

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #428
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm glad some folks are still playing this. I haven't done anything with my teams in a couple months or more. Might take a gander at them when I get bored again but I got kinda tired of it after while and the change in drafting really threw me.

Good luck to you all!

I only draft for need, and pretty much make a guess who might be rated decent enough.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #429
samifan24
Pro Starter

I hate the new drafting system and think it needs an option to avoid drafting a certain type of player in this draft to make things easier.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #430
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I'm in a leagye with BDD HC right now

A question bbor.
How is it that your team sits in 3rd place, with less wins than the 4th place?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #431
bbor
Pro Starter

In a 15 team league there are three divisions.......1st place in the 3 divisions are automatically top 3 in over all standings.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #432
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
In a 15 team league there are three divisions.......1st place in the 3 divisions are automatically top 3 in over all standings.

I see that now, dumb me.
I rarely play in 15 team leagues, and forgot about the standings thing.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #433
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm now, finally, losing interest in this game. It's been a lot of fun but I've never been able to put a winning team together and the overhauled draft system has really hurt my team.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #434
bbor
Pro Starter

That sux...i still am really into the game.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #435
BillyNYC
High School JV

Still into it, albeit only in my 4th season. I like the pace such that if you have a "lost season", a new one is a few days away (and can try to deal consumed/expiring contracts for picks).

Have had no problems with draft. Some of the draft pools aren't very balanced (ie. no stay-at-home D ranked in top 15, 4 goalies in top 12, etc) but generally feel it's helped my team and have never drafted anyone that wasn't on my preranked list.

Likely moving up to Level 3 next season where I expect to have my ass handed to me, but should be fun.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #436
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey hey, nice to see you again bbor (saw you just joined the same league as one of my teams)! How's your team been doing? Still enjoying the game?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #437
bbor
Pro Starter

Still love this game...it's a good time killer that does'nt take too much effort....my teams as usual have been meh...how about yours?

Last edited by bbor : 01-14-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #438
samifan24
Pro Starter

I signed into MetroHo this week for the first time since earlier this year. I joined a level five league and we need players if any of you guys have level five teams and went dormant like me. Of course my team is really pretty weak right now since other teams signed my UFAs and RFAs while I was inactive.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #439
RendeR
Coordinator

I haven't logged into that in ages...Have they changed anything? I think the best team I had was only level 3.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #440
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I haven't logged into that in ages...Have they changed anything? I think the best team I had was only level 3.

Everything looks the same to me. I originally left because I hated the new drafting system, which I thought made it too difficult to get decent players, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #441
BillyNYC
High School JV

Most notable change off the top of my head was goalie fatigue.

Goalies start with a "bank" of 5 games. When it goes down to 0, the goalie temporarily loses 10% of his rating. When you play a backup, the bank goes up 5 games (with a max of 10). Essentially, it means your backup goalie needs to play about 13-14 games...and you can't have total garbage as your backup. (No fatigue in playoffs)

Looks like Level 4 Public #3 will be an FOFC heavy league. Little Pucks, Bbors, and myself (Landfills).
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #442
Travis
Pro Rookie

For the drafting, the best system I've found so far is to scout players, then use the difference between the public ranking and your scout ranking to determine what order you'd take them in.

So 1 (public) - 1 (scout) would mean keep the guy number one.
but if 2 (public) is a 9 (scout) and 3 (public) is a 5 (scout) then move 3 ahead of 2.

Likewise, in that scenario, if 5 (public) is a 3 (scout) I'd probably take him ahead of both the 2 and 3 public guys.

This comes into play more the deeper into the draft you go. Ie: I'd take a 42 (public) - 35 (scout) guy over a 38 (public) - 37 (scout). Seems like the more variance there is (good or bad), the higher or lower that guy may even exceed your scouts ranking by.

Right now I've still got 3 teams on the go. 2 are in the playoffs and 1 is in midseason. So I'll be league shopping in a few days, hope it isn't too late by then.

Last edited by Travis : 07-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #443
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is it possible to drop down a level? Somehow my team was awarded level five status early in the game and I really don't think we're a level five quality team.

My team's power ranking is: 372
Other teams in my league: 5, 9, 12, 13, 27, 48, 193, 237
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #444
Travis
Pro Rookie

You get relegated based on ranked league performance.

So if you finish (I think) bottom 2 in a level 5 league then you'd be knocked down to level 4.

That said, if you play in all level leagues then you worry more about power rankings than levels. The levels have been out of whack for a while, hard to keep up with the power rankings unless you were reranked following every season and only allowed to play ranked leagues.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #445
chesapeake
College Starter

I just signed up as the Chesapeake Blue Crabs. Feel free to browse my team and offer any advice. How long do you think I will rot in the level 1 public league before it reaches critical mass?

Who wants my referral bonus?

Last edited by chesapeake : 07-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #446
samifan24
Pro Starter

My level five team is currently 3-35. That's what I get for abandoning my team for a year and losing all my UFAs and RFAs. I only have two 90+ forwards and a 100 defenseman. My goalies are 93 and 92. Of course the level five league I'm playing in has something like 12 teams ranked in the game's top 20 so I knew I'd be killed. I'm hoping I can rebuild with the #1 pick and more prospects on my team and a few key big ticket FAs on one year deals.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #447
samifan24
Pro Starter

Would you do this trade?

I have the #1 pick in my draft and am not going to really content next season, either. My team is being relegated to a level four next season, too.

I give up:

100 OD, 26 years old (1 year left)
91 2-W, 28 years old (pending UFA, consumed)
#1 pick in 2nd round
Likely #46 overall pick (3rd round sandwich)

-for-

93 OD, 30 years old (1 year left)
82 sniper, 19 years old (unsigned #2 overall pick from last year's draft)
71 two-way, 19 years old (2nd round pick last season)

I'd love to acquire the 19 year old, 82 rated sniper because I think he can be a true superstar. In essence I'd be dealing one year of my 100 rated defenseman, a few days of my 91 rated forward, a 2nd rounder and an almost meaningless 3rd round sandwich pick for a year of a 93 rated defenseman whom I could deal next year if we're out of contention, seven years of the sniper and at least a few years of the two way player, who will become a RFA after this season.

Would you do this deal if you were me?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #448
BillyNYC
High School JV

Samifan24: Kind of an odd trade. You obviously need to rebuild, so dealing the OD and TWF make sense...yet you're also moving a pretty decent draft pick.

Similarly, you're getting back a stud sniper...but also a marginal prospect (71 turning 20....might hit mid 80s, or marginal 2nd liner for a level 3 team), and an OD that won't be very useful to you.

Seems a bit odd...or at least inconsistent.

Longterm, you'd be dealing the #1 2nd rounder and a 3rd sandwich for the sniper and the TWF. I'd give you the edge there, but not by THAT much: * My 1st round sandwich 2 seasons back (1/18), was 70 TWF 17 years. Now he's 82 TWF 19...or exactly the age/rating as the guy you're going for.
* My 1st round sandwich last year (1/15) was a 77 CK 17. Now he's 81 CK 18.

Point being, you can find similar guys to what you're seeking with your pick. But of course, there's more uncertainly and it'll take 1-2 seasons to develop. So, yes, I think you'd get the better end of the deal unless the 100 OD is crazy cheap and you can maybe get more in offseason.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #449
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Samifan24: Kind of an odd trade. You obviously need to rebuild, so dealing the OD and TWF make sense...yet you're also moving a pretty decent draft pick.

Similarly, you're getting back a stud sniper...but also a marginal prospect (71 turning 20....might hit mid 80s, or marginal 2nd liner for a level 3 team), and an OD that won't be very useful to you.

Seems a bit odd...or at least inconsistent.

Longterm, you'd be dealing the #1 2nd rounder and a 3rd sandwich for the sniper and the TWF. I'd give you the edge there, but not by THAT much: * My 1st round sandwich 2 seasons back (1/18), was 70 TWF 17 years. Now he's 82 TWF 19...or exactly the age/rating as the guy you're going for.
* My 1st round sandwich last year (1/15) was a 77 CK 17. Now he's 81 CK 18.

Point being, you can find similar guys to what you're seeking with your pick. But of course, there's more uncertainly and it'll take 1-2 seasons to develop. So, yes, I think you'd get the better end of the deal unless the 100 OD is crazy cheap and you can maybe get more in offseason.

Yeah I think you're right. I'm hesitant to do the deal because of that 2nd round draft pick. I have another offer on the table for the 100 defenseman and it's a 90 defenseman who is a pending UFA, a 19 yo 77 rated sniper (3rd round pick last year) and a 3rd round sandwich pick. I don't think I'm going to take that deal either.

Is anyone interested in completing an off-season deal?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #450
BillyNYC
High School JV

Your team's currently not Level 5 caliber, but also your record is skewed by your league being totally insane. Arguably the strongest group of teams in a league ever.

Those guys are competitive and all. Would think you could get something for consuming your expiring UFAs. Picks at least.

Not sure what my offseason will hold. I'm at the cap and don't have much expiring...and have 7 picks in the upcoming draft. So need to figure out my pieces.