Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #151
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Dodd Re-Signs with Grays

WASHINGTON, DC. June 9, 1916 - Opting to stay with what he knows, Ambrose Dodd signed an extension with the Grays early yesterday that will keep the 27-year-old in a Washington uniform for at least 3 years longer.

Dodd is poised to earn $85,470 per year and is loved by diehards for his loyalty to the organization.

So far this season Dodd has 2 home runs and a .327 batting average.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #152
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Superstar Calhoun Stays in Washington

WASHINGTON, DC. June 11, 1916 - The Grays inked a deal with 32-year-old Eli Calhoun yesterday signaling that it not only wanted him on the field but in the clubhouse.

Publicly, Eli Calhoun has spoken highly of Washington, so the extension wasn't a total surprise.

Calhoun will draw $337,950 over the next 3 years.

So far this year Calhoun has hit .381 with 1 home run, 30 RBIs and 52 runs scored.

The Washington third baseman, 32, has been with the club since the league's inception and has arguably been the best hitter in the game. Not only does he hit well, but he gets on base better than anyone in the league. His .452 career on base percentage is the best in the four and a half years the league has been in existence, and his .490 on base percentage last year is the best single season mark so far. And of course, you can't forget his third best .318 career batting average and 8th best 19 career home runs.

The scrawny, 160 pound Texas native is one of the most popular players in Washington and the entire league. He's been quoted as saying "I don't want to be anywhere else. I absolutely love it here." Calhoun, had he not signed this contract with the Grays, would have become a free agent, able to take the contract from the highest bidder which likely would have been New York, Brooklyn, or either of the Chicago teams.

Not only is Calhoun an absolute force on the field, but many of his younger teammates such as Byron Ervin and Freeman Willis have attributed much of their success to Calhoun's leadership.

The Washington Grays just helped their ball club in many ways by locking up Calhoun for three more seasons. He will make $112,650 each season. With the way that he draws fans to the park, the way that he leads his teammates, and the way he produces on the field, the money owner E.C. Landgraf pays him over the next three years will surely be worth it.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-17-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #153
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

$$$ Keeps Superstar Teal in Reading

READING, PA. June 13, 1916 - Wash Teal inked a deal that will keep the seasoned veteran on the Reds roster another 2 years. Earlier today team personnel announced that the 37-year-old had settled on a $99,860-a-year deal to play at Reading Grounds.

It's no secret Teal is getting older, but he could still contribute a lot to the franchise.

Teal is hitting .239 this year with 4 home runs, 25 RBIs and 34 runs scored. He has 51 hits in 213 at-bats, 61 walks and a .412 on-base percentage. Teal has played in 63 games.

This is an interesting move by Reading. Teal was once considered the best hitter in the league. His 1912 season where he hit .356, 22 doubles, and 7 home runs is testament to that. However, he has declined heavily since then. It's not entirely a surprise, since he was 33 in 1912, but take a look at this rapid decline.

1912: .356, 22 doubles, 7 home runs, 77 RBI, 61 SB
1913: .321, 18 doubles, 6 home runs, 64 RBI, 34 SB
1914: .252, 17 doubles, 3 home runs, 72 RBI, 48 SB
1915: .274, 20 doubles, 5 home runs, 76 RBI, 50 SB

So far through two months of the 1916 season, he's hitting just .239. His power numbers have generally been consistent, but his averaging has dropped tremendously.

One has to wonder if team owner William A. Willman is simply interested in keeping him around because he is a fan favorite.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #154
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Tight Race in Columbia League

NEW YORK, NY. June 14, 1916 -

United League Standings

W L GB
Washington
44 22 -
Chicago
38 26 5
Reading
38 26 5
Pittsburgh
35 30 8.5
New York
32 32 11
Cleveland
31 34 12.5
Boston
23 41 20
Detroit
17 47 26

Columbia League Standings

W L GB
Chicago
37 30 -
Indiana
35 29 0.5
St. Louis
35 29 0.5
Kansas City
33 31 2.5
Brooklyn
32 33 4
Philadelphia 32 33 4
Baltimore
31 37 6.5
Newark
26 39 10

While Boston and Detroit are floundering in the United League, both of last year's expansion teams are once again doing extremely well over in the Columbia League.

The Columbia League race is extremely tight. The last place Newark Peppers could gain a ton of ground with a couple winning streaks. Indiana and St. Louis are just 1/2 game back. Everyone is in it.

In the United League, Washington is beating up on the lower teams and has posted a 44-22 record. Chicago and Reading are just five games back, but Pittsburgh and New York are falling fast and need to step it up if they want to have a chance when September comes.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #155
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Orphans and Peel Come to Terms

CHICAGO, IL. June 15, 1916 - Team officials triumphantly announced that the Orphans and superstar right fielder Ezekiel Peel have closed a deal that keeps the 27-year-old in a Chicago uniform for another 2 years.

Peel will earn $200,820 as part of the settlement.

This season Peel is batting .277 with 62 hits, 6 home runs, 36 RBIs, .404 OBP and has scored 31 runs.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #156
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

SP Ebert Signs Extension with Chicago

CHICAGO, IL. June 20, 1916 - After the team locked up their best hitter a few days ago, team officials were upbeat today as Earl Ebert signed an extension with the Orphans. He'll be calling Chicago home for the next 2 years and will earn $145,920 in salary by the end of the contract.

In 1916 Ebert has a 12-4 record with a 2.33 ERA.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #157
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Washington's Groat Out Again

WASHINGTON, DC. June 30, 1916 - Washington second basemen Boot Groats is just 23-years old and his already have trouble staying on the field.

He made the big league club back in 1912 at just 19 years old, and while his first three seasons went without a hitch, last year and now this year are different stories.

Last year, Groat missed 46 games due to two different injuries. First, he hurt his rotator cuff on a throw from the outfield in a cutoff play, and then as soon as he came back, he injured his ribs in a collision at home plate.

He put the injuries behind him and made it through the first two months of the season fine. But on the last day of May, he had a minor setback when he strained his forearm and was out for a week and a half.

Two weeks later, he had pretty bad knee inflamation that kept him out for another week. And yesterday, his shoulder acted up. Doctors haven't made a diagnosis other than "sore shoulder," but say that he likely won't be back for 8 weeks.

This is a very tough break for Groat and his team, the Washinton Grays, who sit on top of the standings of the United League with a five game lead over the Chicago Orphans.

28-year-old Ducky Bunn, a good defensive player but an absolutely dreadful hitter, will take over for Groat for the next 7-8 weeks.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #158
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

June's Top Players

NEW YORK, NY. July 1, 1916 - Earl Ebert of Chicago had an award-winning June as he took home the United League MVP of the Month award.

"He told me once people used to make fun of the way he pitches," Ebert's pitching coach Archie Munch told reporters. "There wasn't anybody laughing in June except for Earl."

Ebert was all business when he took the mound though, collecting a 6-1 record in 7 starts. He struck out 44 batters in 64 innings and kept opponents to a .184 batting average.

So far this season Ebert has 14 wins and 5 losses and a 2.27 ERA.

--

There's nothing like putting up good, solid numbers in the last year before free agency. Today Warley Kephart helped his contract negotiations by nabbing June's Columbia League MVP of the Month honors.

The St. Louis shortstop put together a .305 batting average with 1 home run, 15 RBIs and 16 runs scored.

Someone will surely be opening up the vault this offseason if Kephart continues at this brisk pace.

In 1916 Kephart is hitting .273, batted in 40 runs with 3 home runs and 42 runs scored.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #159
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Strange Path of Simeon Laake

ST. LOUIS, MO. July 4, 1916 - In the first five years of the United Baseball Association, things have been relatively stable for most players. A simple look at random player histories will show that the majority of players have spent all five seasons with the same club.

However, if you happen to find Simeon Laake's, the current left-fielder for the Terriers, that certainly won't be what you see. And not only has his path within the league been strange, but his path to the league has been incredible as well.

Laake is 29-years-old...he thinks. Doctors have told him he's between 27-31, but he celebrated his 10th birthday 19 years ago so he's decided to stick with that age theory. When Laake was born, circa 1886, Florida was a hotbed of racism, lynchings, and violence against blacks. But that was the least of his worries.

His mother and father left him when he was about five years old. Laake doesn't remember the day. When authorities found him roaming the street alone, they brought him in. After a few weeks of searching for the boy's parents, he was sent to an all-black orphanage, where he lived for ten years. Then, at approximately fifteen, he learned of many blacks who were leaving Florida to escape the violence that was occuring against them.

"When I was fifteen or so, I left. I left in the middle of the night with nothing but the clothes on my back. I met some other black folks who were leaving Florida for the northeast. Some were going to New York, some were going to Boston, some were going to Pittsburgh. Industrial cities, mostly. Places we could find jobs."

Laake landed in Pittsburgh, where he worked for the U.S. Steel Coorpotation in a steel mill. But it wasn't what he did in the mill that defined him. It was what he did on break and on weekends.

"We just played baseball. Some of the black folks who came from Florida stayed in Pittsburgh as well. I lived with three other boys, and during our lunch break we would play baseball. On weekends, we'd play baseball. Any time we could, we'd play baseball."

At 23, Laake moved to Cincinnati to work for Proctor & Gamble in their soap factories. Again, he would play baseball any time he could.

But when William A. Willman announced the formation of the United League in 1912, a league that would be integrated, Laake knew what the next major step in his life would be.

J.J. Ryan, the son of Malcolm Ryan of the Ryan Rail Company and a Cincinnati native, used his inherited wealth to purchase one of the charter franchises. In March of 1912, Ryan held tryouts for his Cincinnati Ruby Legs. Over 120 players showed off their skills over a week-long period.

Over the previous nine years, Laake had played baseball every day. He perfected his skills againt co-workers and friends. And in 1912, he could finally put his talent to good use.

"After the week of tryouts, Mr. Ryan wrote me to inform me that I had been selected to join the club and would make $1,000 a year. It was more than I was making at the soap factory, but that's not why I accepted. I accepted because I love baseball."

After a year of playing for the Ruby Legs, the team was expelled by the league. J.J. Ryan simply couldn't run a baseball club competently. Every player on the Ruby Legs, as well as the Washington Statesmen who went bankrupt, became free to sign with any team that offered them a contract.

"A few team's offered me a contract. The Grays though were very kind to me and offered me about $3,400 per season. I always wanted to see Washington as well, so I decided to play there."

But after a year of playing for the Grays, the six teams of the brand new Columbia League were allowed to fill their rosters with anyone left off of a 15-man protection list. Laake was left off of it. In the 11th round of the expansion draft, the St. Louis Terriers took Laake. He was headed to his third team in three years.

"I absolutely loved playing in St. Louis. I certainly wasn't the best player, but I loved my teamates and loved the city."

However, just two years after being taken by St. Louis, the Terriers traded Laake to the Detroit Wolverines after the 1915 season.

"Mr. Ball, the owner of the Terriers, called me into his office and told me that I'd been traded. He said that they could afford to get rid of a younger guy to bring in two veterans because they wanted to win immediately. I could understand that, but was still dissapointed. I loved it there."

Laake packed up his belongings and headed to Detroit. But his wild ride wasn't over yet. Less than two months into the season, Laake got a telegram from Phil Ball.

"I got the telegram and it said that St. Louis was trying to get me back. I was so thrilled. The next day, Mr. Compton of Detroit told me that I would be headed back to St. Louis."

And yesterday, it looks like Mr. Laake can finally settle down. He's signed a two year extension with the Terriers for $78,000.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #160
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Reds-Maroons Swap Confirmed

READING, PA. July 9, 1916 - The Reading Reds have finalized a deal with the Cleveland Maroons for the services of 28-year old left fielder Ramon Starke. In exchange, the Maroons will receive 20-year old left fielder Johnathan Smoot, 23-year old shortstop Ice Lemons, 22-year old catcher Leon Gale and 37-year old starting pitcher Solomon Maurer.

Thus far in 1916 Starke is hitting .322 with 6 home runs, 49 RBIs, 47 runs scored and has compiled a .371 OBP.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-18-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #161
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Newark Peppers, Grays Agree to Trade

WASHINGTON, DC. July 22, 1916 - The Newark Peppers announced a deal with the Grays today, sending 26-year old right fielder Orrin Seeley and 30-year old second baseman Coleman Beller to Washington for 19-year old minor league right fielder Harris Gifford and 22-year old minor league second baseman Philander Parson. It had been talked about for the past few weeks and everything came together late last night. All players are expected to be joining their respective clubs shortly.

Seeley is presently hitting at a .278 pace with 4 home runs and 40 RBIs. He has played in 97 games and scored 49 times.

The Grays are hoping Seeley gives them the push they need to get to the top of the standings over the next two months.

Newark, on the other hand, would have lost Seeley in free agency anyway, so getting two young prospects is a great deal for them.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-18-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #162
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Calhoun Out for Next 12 Months

WASHINGTON, DC. July 28, 1916 - The season, and maybe next, is apparently over for Eli Calhoun. The Washington Grays medical staff informed the club that the second baseman will be out at least 12 months with torn ankle ligaments. Calhoun was hurt in the game against Cleveland while running the bases. The doctors said he may not even recover by the end of next season.

So far this year Calhoun was hitting .341 with 1 home run.

This is devastating news for baseball fans. A few weeks ago, we published an article about Calhoun's contract extension, but also mentioned how good he is for baseball. This is a sad day for the United Baseball Association. We wish Calhoun the best of luck in recovering.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #163
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Top Pick Clay "Graveyard" Cherry Makes Debut

BOSTON, MA. August 4, 1916 - We haven't seen much news come out of Boston since they joined the United League last season, but yesterday was the beginning of a new chapter for the Shipbuilders.

At the end of March, the Shipbuilders selected Iowa native and Columbia University student Clay "Graveyard" Cherry with the first pick in the amateur draft.

While Cherry lasted just three innings and gave up five runs, it was a big day for him. His father, struggling with a terminal illness, along with the rest of his family, traveled to Boston to watch Clay make his debut. And while Cherry disappointed many Boston fans, he certainly did not disappoint his family.

"I'm so proud of him," said Mr. Cherry with a tear in his eye. "All of my children. I'm so proud of all of them. Watching Clay out there, doing what he loves. It's the thing every father loves to see."
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #164
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

For anyone reading this who hasn't checked out "The Graveyard Letters" mini-dynasty, I just completed it.

I've already learned that next time I'm going to look at something from the past rather than the current, because sometimes it's just easier to know how things end up rather than hoping OOTP does something you want to see. What if Clay got hurt? That would have thrown off my whole story.

Anyway, as I mentioned in that thread, I will eventually do another "letters" format mini-dynasty, but want to do something different next. Anyone have any ideas? I'd prefer these to be very small-scale, under 50 post type things, but if you have a grand idea I'm definitely open to hearing it.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-18-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #165
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Chicago's Ebert Stuns United League Batters

CHICAGO, IL. August 5, 1916 - In July, Chicago starter Earl Ebert really put the strong arm on the other United League teams and hauled in the MVP of the Month trophy. He did it with an impressive 7 wins and no losses.

In 7 starts and 64 innings of work, Ebert limited opposing batters to 37 base hits and a .167 batting average. He fanned 52, issued 15 walks and had a 0.84 ERA.

To date Ebert is 21-5 in 28 starts with a 1.90 ERA and has 188 strikeouts in 250.2 innings.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #166
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Terrier's Right Fielder has Terrific July

ST. LOUIS, MO. August 6, 1916 - St. Louis right fielder Nelson Mahoney was certainly bad news for pitchers in the month of July. He wore them out going 41 for 110 and was rewarded with the Columbia League MVP of the Month award.

He hit .373 with 3 home runs, 19 RBIs and scored 21 runs.

This season Mahoney is swinging the bat at a .332 pace. He has hit 6 home runs and scored 57 times, while driving in 53. His on-base percentage is .381 and he has played in 91 games.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #167
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Five Teams Still in Columbia League Pennant Hunt

NEW YORK, NY. August 8, 1916 - Most teams have just over 40 games left to play, and while the United League is now a battle of three teams, the Columbia league still has five teams that are within five games of each other. It could go to anyone.

United League Standings

W L GB
Chicago
74 41
Washington
70 45 4
Reading
67 45 5.5
Cleveland
59 53 13.5
New York
57 57 16.5
Pittsburgh
53 59 19.5
Detroit
39 75 34.5
Boston
34 78 38.5

W L GB
St. Louis
62 49
Philadelphia 60 52 2.5
Chicago
61 55 3.5
Indiana
58 53 4
Baltimore
60 56 4.5
Kansas City
53 58 9
Brooklyn
53 61 10.5
Newark
49 69 18
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #168
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Gale Strikes Out Seventeen Pittsburgh Hitters

NEW YORK, NY. August 16, 1916 - Ed Gale of the New York Gothams was something to behold at the Bronx Oval Grounds. He was on fire and fanned 17 Keystones en route to a 8-1 victory. Gale shackled Pittsburgh on 8 hits and gave up 1 walk in an outstanding performance.

"That's as good as I've ever seen him throw," his manager said. "I've never seen so many bad swings in my life. These guys didn't have a chance."

Gale had very little to say to after the game. "We won and that's the bottom line. I had a good game. And we beat Pittsburgh."

The Pittsburgh manager wasn't too happy with the game. "He pitched a very good game. You have to tip your cap to him."

In 28 starts this year Gale has recorded a 13-13 record and a 2.58 ERA.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #169
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Terriers Lose Mahoney for Two Weeks

ST. LOUIS, MO. August 17, 1916 - St. Louis fans will be disappointed to learn that Nelson Mahoney developed a strained oblique while running the bases in yesterday's game. After the doctor informed the St. Louis Terriers manager that Mahoney was expected to miss 2 weeks, the manager told the press that the rest of the team would have to step up their play until the right fielder could return. "You can't make excuses in baseball, because there's always a game tomorrow," said the team's skipper.

In 1916 Mahoney has been the key batter for the Terriers, batting .323 with 134 hits and hitting 6 home runs, 58 RBIs, 35 walks, .372 OBP and has scored 62 runs. He has played in 103 games, but the next few weeks are extremely important. St. Louis is currently three games behind the 1st place Centennials.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #170
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Centennials End 11-Game Winning Streak in Loss to Baltimore

PHILADELPHIA, PA. August 21, 1916 - In yesterday's game against the Baltimore Terrapins, the Philadelphia Centennials lost for the first time in twelve games. Their eleven game win streak shot them to the top of the standings, and they currently have a three-game lead over the Terriers.

They have 31 games left on the schedule and head to Indiana tomorrow for a four game series.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #171
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

August's Top Players

NEW YORK, NY. September 1, 1916 - As Floyd Bennett hoisted up the United League MVP of the Month trophy for August, rumors have already begun to swirl about whether he will leave Cleveland once his contract is up at the end of the season.

Bennett put pressure on the Maroons to keep him around by posting a 5-2 record and an ERA of 1.65 over 60 innings last month. He also rolled up 52 strikeouts, increasing his value both to Cleveland and to every other team in the league.

Up to now Bennett has compiled an ERA of 2.21 with a 21-11 mark over 34 starts. He has 241 strikeouts in 288.2 innings and has held opponents to a .221 batting average.

--

Luther Pender of Indiana had a tremendous August with a 5-2 mark and was chosen the MVP of the Month in the Columbia League.

Pender restricted opposing hitters to 47 base hits and a .204 batting average. He rang up 24 strikeouts in 63.1 innings of work, surrendered 20 walks, and crafted a 2.13 ERA.

Season-to-date, Pender has rung up 17 wins and 12 losses in 31 appearances. He has an ERA of 2.55 and has fanned 101 batters in 275.2 innings.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #172
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1917's Top Unsigned Players

NEW YORK, NY. September 7, 1916 - As the 1916 comes to a close, everyone's main focus is on the pennant chase in both leagues.

But every team, including the dreadful Boston and Detroit clubs, are looking toward the off-season. With free agency finally a reality after five seasons, club owners have a new strategy to build their team. They can save money and focus on developing their own drafted talent, or they could sacrifice their bottom line and go after high priced free agents. Here are a few of the players that will make a big impact on their new team.

2B Boots Groat, Washington Grays, 23 yo
CF Dick McGovern, Pittsburgh Keystones, 27 yo
SP Isiah Barnhart, Reading Reds, 35 yo
RF Orrin Seeley, Washington Grays, 26 yo
SP Harman Putman, Chicago Orphans, 29 yo
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #173
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

As Season Winds Down, Chicago and Philadelphia Top Standings

NEW YORK, NY. September 13, 1916 -

United League Standings

W L GB G
Chicago
91 57 -
Washington
89 59 2 148
Reading
82 62 7 144
Cleveland
79 65 10 144
New York
78 69 12.5 147
Pittsburgh
64 80 25 144
Detroit
52 95 38.5 147
Boston
48 96 41 144

W L GB G
Philadelphia 79 64 -
St. Louis
77 66 2 143
Baltimore
77 70 4 147
Indiana
73 71 6.5 144
Kansas City
72 71 7 143
Chicago
72 76 9.5 148
Brooklyn
70 78 11.5 148
Newark
62 86 19.5 148

In the United League, it's coming down to two teams. The Chicago Orphans and the Washington Grays.

The Chicago Orphans have never finished above 3rd place, which was last season. They've steadily improved over the course of the five United League seasons.

1912: 50-76 (.397)
1913: 58-68 (.460)
1914: 61-65 (.484)
1915: 79-61 (.564)
1916: 91-57 (.615)

Chicago's improved pitching has been the major key to their success. Earl Ebert, Harman Putman, and Squire Ludwig are the top three starters for the Orphans. Ebert has already set the single-season wins record with 27, and Putman isn't far behind with 25. Ludwig has been an excellent third starter, winning 17 games so far.

On offense, it's Ezekiel Peel who leads the team. A Chicago native, Peel has always stated how much he loves playing for the Orphans, and he decided to stick around by signing a two-year extension that will pay him over $100,000 per season. Peel has hit .279 so far with 11 home runs, 18 doubles, and 76 RBI.

Washington, who is two games out, also has a terrific pitching staff. Three twenty game winners and and eighteen game winner take the mound each series. But they also have a terrific offense. Guys like Orrin Seeley, Rip Boyce, Byron Ervin, and Boots Groat are always dangerous. Add to that center fielder Ambrose Dodd, a speedy 27-year-old who is hitting .291 and has stolen a whopping 89 bases so far, and the lineup is strong from top to bottom.

If Washington can overtake Chicago, it will be their second pennant in a row. Last year, they lost in the Presidents Cup Series against the Chicago Whales.

Over in the Columbia League, Philadelphia has surprised everyone. Last year, they finished in 7th place, an expected finish because of it was just their first year in the league. But apparently, all their young players developed quickly and now they sit in first.

It's all about the pitching in Philadelphia. Southpaw's Tookie Anthony and Squire Perrin each have 20-13 records. Anthony is a pure control pitcher. He only has 52 strikeouts in 282 innings. Perrin has 147.

Sitting behind them are the St. Louis Terriers. They're looking to improve over last years second-place finish but have a tough hump to get over.

The Terriers are built on offense. With no 20-game winners, they need it. Dave Mulligan is easily the team's best hitter. The first baseman was picked up by St. Louis in the 1914 expansion draft and has hit 10 home runs this year and batted .300 on the button.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #174
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Ebert Wins 29th Game, Clinches Pennant for Chicago

CHICAGO, IL. September 21, 1916 - It was a long day at the plate for the Washington Grays as their pennant hopes were shot down by Ebert. They never did figure him out and were shut out 10-0. The Chicago hurler baffled them the entire game, yielding no runs and 6 hits in a very well-pitched outing. Ebert also totaled 5 strikeouts and 2 walks in the game.

Chicago and Washington were in a tight battle all year, but Washington just couldn't overcome the tough pitching of the Orphans.

In 39 starts this season, Ebert has chalked up a 29-7 record and a 1.83 ERA.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #175
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Philadelphia Clinches 1916 Columbia League Pennant

PHILADELPHIA, PA. September 22, 1916 - In a 7-5 win over the Kansas City Packers, the Centennials mathematically eliminated the St. Louis Terriers from the race and clinched their first pennant.

They will take on the United League's pennant winners, the Chicago Orphans.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #176
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Batting Titles Awarded

NEW YORK, NY. September 25, 1916 - The Ford Motor Company gave two free Model T automobiles away yesterday to the United League and Columbia League batting title winners.

In the United League, Reading left fielder Ramon Starke won the title with a .322 average. He hit 22 doubles, 13 triples, and 9 home runs.

The Columbia League's best hitter was Chicago Whale's first baseman Jiggs Bard. "Pops always said I learned to swing a bat before I learned to walk" the 29-year-old said. His .308 batting average led all Columbia League hitters. He collected 192 hits, socked 1 home run, scored 75 runs and drove in 57 runs. The CL's top batter also played in 153 games, had 21 doubles, 11 triples and walked 46 times.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-19-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #177
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1916 Final Standings

NEW YORK, NY. September 26, 1916 -

United League Standings

W L GB G
Chicago
96 58 -
Washington
92 62 4 154
Reading
89 65 7 154
Cleveland
84 70 12 154
New York
82 72 14 154
Pittsburgh
67 87 29 154
Detroit
54 100 42 154
Boston
52 102 44 154

W L GB G
Philadelphia 84 80 -
St. Louis
82 72 2 154
Baltimore
81 73 3 154
Indiana
78 76 6 154
Kansas City
78 76 6 154
Chicago
76 78 8 154
Brooklyn
73 81 11 154
Newark
64 90 20 154

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #178
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1916 League Leaders

NEW YORK, NY. September 26, 1916 -

1916 U.B.A. League Leaders

Batting Average
Ramon Starke 0.322 REA
Doubles*
Orson Sanford 40 CHI (CL)
Home Runs*
Julius Eason 13 BRK
Runs Batted In
Rip Boyce 95 WAS
Stolen Bases*
Ambrose Dodd 95 WAS
--

Earned Run Average*
Isiah Barnhart 1.43 REA
Wins*
Earl Ebert 29 CHI (UL)
Strikeouts*
Floyd Bennett 275 CLE

* denotes a new all-time record

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #179
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The 1916 Presidents Cup Series Preview: Chicago Orphans

CHICAGO, IL. September 26, 1916 - The 1916 Presidents Cup Series starts today as the Philadelphia Centennials of the Columbia League take on the Chicago Orphans of the United League.

This is the Orphans first pennant win, and the first time they even had a shot. They're best finish was last season, when they finished 11 games back in 3rd place with a 79-61 record. We ran an article during the final stretch of the regular season about Orphans improvements over the years. To sum it up, they have steadily improved each year since the league began in 1912, and their patience has finally paid off.

The owner of the Chicago club is Jack O'Connor, a 72-year-old man who is slowly losing a battle with his health. He hasn't been seen at the park in many months, and many believe his son, William O'Connor is making the major decisions. The owner is one of the richest men in the league, gaining his wealth from a partnership in O'Connor & Whitfield Oil.

O'Connor is one of the wealthiest men in the United League, but he's spoken public ally about the fact that this is just another business opportunity. It remains to be seen what his son, assuming it is in fact handed down to him, will do with the team.

The Orphans are managed by 59-year-old west-coast native Edmon Callahan. He's known for the way he connects with younger players, and he sure has done a solid job this season. Callahan spent the first three United League seasons with the Pittsburgh Keystones, but was relieved of his duties after a disappointing 1914 season. They went from Presidents Cup champions in 1913 to 5th place losers in 1914. He has the chance today to earn his second Presidents Cup trophy.

Here is the lineup that the manager sent out to the field all year:

1. 1B Forest Goldsmith (.266, 13 Doubles, 6 Triples, 22 RBI in Class A)
2. SS Clifton Kyle (.295, 19 Doubles, 8 Triples, 63 RBI)
3. LF Abner Chavez (.312, 26 Doubles, 5 Triples, 77 RBI)
4. RF Ezekiel Peel (.276, 20 Doubles, 11 Home runs, 79 RBI)
5. CF Burton Tompson (.306, 19 Doubles, 8 Home runs, 55 RBI)
6. 2B Byron Murry (.295, 23 Doubles, 7 Home runs, 74 RBI)
7. C Bimm Sheffield (.286, 19 Doubles, 7 Triples, 56 RBI)
8. 3B Flash Salmon (.283, 12 Doubles, 10 Home runs, 75 RBI)

Their pitching rotation is as follows:

1. RHP Earl Ebert (29-7, 1.83 ERA, 273 K)
2. RHP Harman Putman (26-10, 2.19 ERA, 238 K)
3. RHP Squire Ludwig (18-12, 3.02 ERA, 127 K)
4. RHP Bryant Laney (6-10, 3.21 ERA, 31 K)

Games One, Two, Five, Six, and Nine, will be played at O'Connor Park in Chicago. The ballpark holds 12,000 spectators and slightly favor right-handed hitters. The short walls in the gaps will bolster home run numbers and cut down doubles and triples severely.

LF: 307'
CF: 409'
RF: 307'

The Orphans wear gray pants and a gray top with a blue undershirt. A blue "C" is stitched onto the left side of the chest. Their cap is blue, and has a white "C" on it. The lettering is in old-english type.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 06-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #180
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The 1916 Presidents Cup Series Preview: Philadelphia Centennials

CHICAGO, IL. September 26, 1916 - The Centennials owner, manager, players, and even some fans are here in Chicago ready to open up the 1916 Presidents Cup Series today.

The Centennials are one of the league's newest teams. They joined alongside Boston, Detroit, and Indiana (formerly St. Paul), and are the first to win the pennant. Last year, the team finished in 7th place, twenty games behind the first place team with a 64-76 record.

The Philadelphia club is owned by Harman Day, a reserved 49-year-old restaurantier who is a Philadelphia native. They are managed by 47-year-old Guy Hoy who is originally from Ohio. Last year was his first in the league, and he must be very proud of his team's quick turnaround.

Here is the lineup the Mr. Hoy will be sending to the plate:

1. 2B Suds Frick (.234, 21 Doubles, 9 Triples, 36 RBI)
2. C Elias Haley (.240, 7 Doubles, 3 Home runs, 23 RBI)
3. CF Josephus Friend (.252, 20 Doubles, 14 Triples, 67 RBI)
4. 1B Squire Willey (.205, 32 Doubles, 13 Triples, 68 RBI)
5. RF Hunkey Howel (.248, 18 Doubles, 12 Triples, 5 Home runs, 43 RBI)
6. SS Matthew Lyman (.237, 18 Doubles, 8 Home runs, 56 RBI)
7. LF Fred Lankford (.273, 18 Doubles, 7 Triples, 35 RBI)
8. 3B Willy Drumond (.310, 16 Doubles, 6 Triples, 22 RBI in Class A)

Their pitching rotation is as follows:

1. LHP Tookie Anthony (21-15, 3.19 ERA, 58 K)
2. LHP Squire Perrin (22-14, 2.92 ERA, 162 K)
3. RHP Adelbart Allard (13-16, 3.64 ERA, 182 K)
4. RHP Emile Zimmerman (18-17, 3.84 ERA, 95 K)

Game Three, Four, Seven, and Eight will be played at Philadelphia Stadium, a large complex that holds 25,200 people. The park favors right-handed batters and will see a fair share of doubles.

LF: 324'
CF: 422'
RF: 327'

The Centennials colors are black and yellow. They wear white uniforms with black piping running down the middle of the chest. They wear yellow caps with black brims and a black "P" embroidered onto it.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-20-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #181
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Centennials Jump Out to Early Lead, Win Game One

CHICAGO, IL. September 27, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Philadelphia
0 0
0 0 0 0

5 8
Chicago
0 1
0 0

5 0

The Centennials are considered the underdogs by many, but they used it to their advantage and scored three runs in the first inning on a walk, two singles, and a double from Squire Willey.

In the 5th inning, down 3-1, the Orphans answered back. A leadoff walk by Salmon set the tone. Ludwig tried to lay down a sacrafice bunt, but when the pitcher threw the ball away, he reached first and Salmon moved up to third.

With a man on first and third, Goldsmith came to bat and hit a line drive right through the hole between third and short. Salmon scored, and Ludwig moved to third. It was first and third again with no outs.

But when Goldsmith tried to take second base, Centennial catcher Elias Haley threw a perfect strike to second basemen Suds Frick for the out. With Kyle still at the plate, he ripped a line drive down the right field line that probably would have scored Goldsmith. But Ludwig came in and the game was tied, 3-3 with one out.

After a flyout from Chavez, Ezekial Peel came to bat. On the first pitch, he hit a hard groundball between third and short. Kyle rounded third and was trying for the go ahead run. Philadelphia left fielder threw a rocket home that was slightly off line.

In one fluid motion while guarding the plate, Haley reached downt he first base line to take the throw and spun clockwise back over to the plate to tag the foot of Kyle as he slid into home. It was a close play, but the umpire pumped his fist and yelled "Your out!" with a bellowing voice and the game was still tied, 3-3.

After two straight 1-2-3 innings from each side, the Centennials came to bat in the top of the 8th. It started just had the previous two had gone. Frick grounded out to second, and then Haley grounded out to third. With two outs, Friend stepped to the plate and on a 0-2 count he hit a lazy flyball to leftfield. The fielder couldn't run in quickly enough and it fell in for a hit.

Next up was Willey. With a 1-1 count, Friend took a chance and dashed to second base to get into scoring position. Finally, with a full count, Willey smashed a hard line drive in between the right and center fielder. It rolled to the wall, allowing Friend to score and Willey to walk to second base uncontested for a double.

With the lead, Howel walked up next to try and make the lead larger. A single would do the job, and that's exactly what he did. A hard grounder between first and second scored Willey without a throw which made the score 5-3.

In the bottom of the 9th, Chicago had one more shot. The first batter, Tompson, tapped a soft grounder to the third baseman. Rushing in, he threw a perfect strike to the first baseman but he dropped it! On the secong pitch to the next batter Murry, the ball sailed over the catcher to the backstop, allowing Tompson to move up a base.

But a ground out, fly out, and then a soft hit right back to the pitcher left him stranded, and Philadelphia took game one 5-3.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #182
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Chicago Takes Game Two in Comeback Extra Inning Win

CHICAGO, IL. September 28, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Philadelphia
0 0
0 1
0 1
0 0

5 11
Chicago
0 1
0 1

It started in very similar fashion as yesterday. Philadelphia scored three runs in the first, Chicago earned one back in the second.

But this time, Chicago was able to come back from a 5-2 lead. Down 4-1 in the 5th, Chicago came to bat. After a walk and sacrafice bunt put a man on second, with two outs Kyle came to the plate.

On the second pitch, he crushed a ball to left center field. Left fielder Fred Lankford raced after the ball toward the wall. In a half leap, half dive, he caught the ball right before it hit the wall. He crashed into the hard wall and fell in a heap. But he had hung on to the ball, saving a run.

With Philadelphia adding an insurance run on a sacrifice fly in the the 7th, it wasn't looking good for the Orphans.

When they came up in the 7th, they needed to cut the lead desperately. The first batter, Sheffield, struck out. But then Salmon came up and ripped a single up the middle. With pinch hitter Shea up, a grounder to the first basemen looked like a double play and the end of the inning. But Shea hustled to first and was barely safe. On a steal attempt, Philadelphia catcher Elias Haley overthrew the man covering, allowing Shea to get to third. The top of the order came up, and Goldsmith drove in the run on a line drive over the shortstop to cut the lead to 5-2.

When Chicago came up the 8th, time was running out. There was no more time to manufacture runs. They needed a quick strike. And when Byron Murry, the team's second baseman came to the plate, he delivered with a two-out, two-run home run that brought them back into the game. It was now 5-4, Centennials.

Philadelphia failed to add any insurance runs in their half of the 9th, and now Chicago was coming up with one last chance.

On a 3-2 count, Salmon fouled off three straight pitches. On the 9th pitch of the at-bat, he ripped one at the short stop. He couldn't handle the hot hit, and Salmon made it to first on the error. Pinch hitter Lentz came to the plate next. On a 1-1 count, he hit a soft grounder that found a hole between the first and second baseman. Salmon sped around second and was safe at third as he slid under the tag.

Next up was Goldsmith. On the 2-2 pitch, he drilled one to center. It wouldn't drop in, but it was deep enough to score Salmon from third. The game was tied, but it wasn't over yet. They still had a shot to win the game.

Bearden came up next and hit a soft line drive to right-center for a single. Lentz, considered by many to be the slowest player in the league, trotted to second base. When Chavez came up, he took four straight balls. The bases were loaded with one out.

Ezekial Peel, arguably the best hitter on Chicago, stepped to the plate. He was right on the first pitch, but fouled it back hard to the backstop. Then he watched two straight balls saily by. Zimmerman was obviously trying to be careful, but a walk would win the game for the Orphans, so he couldn't be too careful. On the 2-1, a very close pitch was called a strike by the umpire. And on the 2-2, a pitch that looked very, very good sailed across the plate. Zimmerman even started to the dugout for a moment. But the umpire did not call the strike.

After two straight fouls on the 3-2 count, Peel hit one down the left field line. It was high and deep enough for most to score on the sacrafice fly. But of course, it was Lentz at third. While most of the league would easily score, he would be an easy out. So he had to stay at third, and the next batter flew out to center, ending the inning and keeping the game tied at 5-5.

The Centennials put together three straight outs once again in the top of the 10th, their last hit all the way back in the 7th.

When Murry came up for the Orphans, another Philadelphia error allowed him on, their fourth of the game. A walk to Sheffield put men on 1st and 2nd. Then Salmon came up and hit a hard line drive. The runners had to pause to make sure it went through, and could only move up one base.

That brought up Connelly, the Chicago pitcher. But with the other reliever already used, Connely had to bat. The infield came in to cut off the run at home. A hot shot to short stop got the out at home easily.

So now it was up to Goldsmith, the leadoff hitter for the Orphans. On the 1-1 count, Goldsmith hit a towering flyball to deep center field, but there was no way to get the tagging runner. The Philadelphia center fielder threw with all his might, but it rolled in innocently as the Centennials left the field and the Orphans celebrated their game two win at the plate.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #183
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Chicago Wins Game Three as Ebert K's Eight

PHILADELPHIA, PA. September 30, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Chicago
0 2 0 1 0 0 1 1 0

5 13 2
Philadelphia
0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

3 8 1

The series moved to Philadelphia yesterday for game three of the 1916 Presidents Cup Series. Chicago jumped out to an early lead in the 2nd inning after two walks, two singles, and a sac fly drove in two.

Philadelphia would drive in a few throughout the game, but could never put together a sustained rally.

The Orphans won despite leaving 28 runners on base. It was a terrible night specifically for Chavez and Salmon of Chicago. Each finished the game with no hits, but what's worse is that they both left six runners on base.

Chavez is having a terrible series, hitting just .091.

On the mound, Ebert plowed through the Centennial line-up, striking out eight and walking none.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #184
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Chicago Takes 3-1 Lead with Game Four Win

PHILADELPHIA, PA. October 1, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Chicago
3 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0

7 5 0
Philadelphia
1 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0

4 11 1

It was a closer game than the score shows, but Philadelphia loses both games in their home park and the teams will now travel to Chicago to play games five and six.

By the top of the 5th, Chicago was up 7-2 and were in total control. But when the bottom half of the inning rolled around, Philadelphia hit four straight singles to start the inning. With one run scored and the bases still loaded with no outs, the Centennials looked like the momentum was about to swing to them.

But Lyman popped up to the first baseman, and then Frick grounded out, scoring a run but putting two outs on the board. Lankford came up and hit into a fielders choice, ending the inning and making the score 7-4. It was a good inning, but should have been bigger.

The score stayed the same into the 9th inning. In the bottom half, Philadelphia came up for their last shot. With one out, Haley got hit in the leg with a pitch, putting him on first. A strikeout by Friend made two outs. Willey came up, and hit a shot over the center fielders head. Haley rounded second and headed to third, and Willey made it in standing up at second, bringing the tying run to the plate.

On a 2-1 count, Howland hit a high fastball that went right to the left fielder. He didn't even have to move.

Chicago is now up three games to one, and the teams head back to O'Connor Park where the Orphans can win the series with two wins.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #185
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Orphans Win, Need One More to Win Series

CHICAGO, IL. October 3, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Philadelphia
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

1 8 0
Chicago
0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 x

3 9 2

Game five was a straight forward contest that was rather uneventful. Chicago got out to an early 3-0 lead, each run scored easily on a single.

Philadelphia never put together anything. Their best inning other than the 9th was the top of the third, when a single, an error, and a walk loaded the bases. But a fly out and a strikeout left the three runners on base.

Chicago's pitcher, Ludwig, pitched an excellent game. He allowed eight hits, two walks, and struck out seven in his nine innings.

Tomorrow, they'll play one more in Chicago. If the Orphans win, they will be crowned the 1916 Presidents Cup Champions.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-24-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #186
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Orphans Hold Off Centennials, Win 1916 Cup!

CHICAGO, IL. October 4, 1916 -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R H E
Philadelphia
0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0

3 9 1
Chicago
5 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 x

6 9 1

The Orphans started the game with a bang, scoring five runs in the first inning in front of 11,898 seated fans and countless spectators watching along the foul line. The five runs were scored on five singles, two walks, an error, and two sacrifice flies.

The Centennials tried to put together a rally, but five runs was too much to overcome and when Chicago added another run in the fifth, it would be even harder.

In the ninth, Ebert walked to the mound knowing that three more outs would win his team the 1916 Presidents Cup.

Philadelphia never even hit it out of the infield in the last frame. Three straight ground outs clinched it. On the third, it was a close grounder to the second baseman, Byron Murry. He made a quick toss to Forest Goldsmith at first, and as the fans in Chicago cheered as their home town team won, Goldsmith threw his glove into the air and rushed towards the mount. All twenty-one players, plus all of the coaches, gathered at the mound to congratulate each other with handshakes and embraces.

In a moving moment, Jack O'Connor, the 72-year-old owner of the Orphans, walked slowly to the mound, cane in hand. His frail body looked even more thin standing next to the ballplayers.

"This means everything to me. I've lived a very fulfilling life. I have always had everything I ever wanted. I even could buy a baseball team. But money cannot buy this," he said, as he pointed to the Presidents Cup Trophy.

"As you all know, I am an old man whose time is running short. I have been giving away many things. Money, real estate, possessions. But to be able to bring you fans this championship is the thing that makes me feel the best."
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #187
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

United League Awards Dinner

NEW YORK, NY. October 21, 1916 - Last night, William A. Willman of the United League presented three awards to the league's top players.

"Hello, and welcome to the annual United League awards dinner. Tonight is a night to celebrate our league and it's best players."

"First, I would like to present the 1916 Rookie of the Year Award. This player is as wise as a veteran, and spent four years in the developmental leagues. This year, he got his chance and made the most of it. He put together a .296 batting average on the strength of 91 hits and swatted 11 home runs. He also racked up 54 RBIs and scored 42 runs, signaling that this might be the beginning of a solid baseball career. I'm happy to present the award to Washington first baseman, Bloop Bryant."

"Next, we have the 1916 W.A. Willman Pitcher of the Year Award. He's a 28-year-old star who set the single-season record for wins, complete games, shutouts, and innings pitched. He also finished two behind the strikeout leader this year with 273. But most importantly, he led his team to the 1916 Presidents Cup, and won. I'm proud to announce the winner of the 1916 W.A. Willman Pitcher of the Year Award, Chicago's Earl Ebert."

"Finally, our last award is the 1916 James A. Gilmore Most Valuable Player Award. This award goes to the position player that was most valuable to his team this season. The player this award is going to this year was traded in the middle of the season, yet still was just as productive. As a matter of fact, his batting aveage was exactly the same during his time with each team, .322. His 22 doubles, 13 triples, and 9 home runs helped drive in 88 runs. The award goes to Reading left fielder, Ramon Starke."
Old 05-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #188
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Columbia League Award Ceremony

NEW YORK, NY. October 22, 1916 - Columbia League president James A. Gilmore announced the award winners for the 1916 season yesterday at the Plaza Hotel in New York City.

"Welcome. Tonight we are here to celebrate the 1916 season by awarding this years best players with the Rookie of the Year Award, the W.A. Willman Pitcher of the Year Award, and the James A. Gilmore Most Valuable Player Award."

"The 1916 Rookie of the Year Award goes to Hiram Shane, shortstop for the Indiana Blues. In 137 games, the 23-year-old Shane hit at a .299 clip with 151 hits in 505 at-bats and 5 home runs, drove in 43 runs and scored 62 times."

"In 1916, this player was simply unstoppable at the plate. He assaulted CL pitchers for a .306 batting average, 165 hits, 10 home runs and 65 RBIs, while scoring 91 times. The James A. Gilmore Most Valuable Player award goes to Dave Mulligan of St. Louis."

"And finally, the 1916 W.A. Willman Pitcher of the Year Award goes to Baltimore's Emerson Massie. Columbia League hitters didn't have much of a chance in the 1916 season when the Baltimore manager wrote "Emerson Massie" on the lineup card. Outing after outing, he held teams in check and usually got a win.

He excelled with a 23-13 mark and 2.69 ERA in 39 starts, tossed 327.2 innings, fanned 168 and held opposing teams to a .223 average."
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 AM   #189
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

First Players File for Free Agency

NEW YORK, NY. October 26, 1916 - Last night marked the start of the first United Baseball Association free agency period.

Clubhouses across United Baseball Association were already abuzz with rumors as players began filing at midnight. They will be able to negotiate deals with any club in the league.

Once the first major signing is announced, teams will scramble to gobble up whatever talent they can reasonably get. The only thing that is certain is that there will be a lot of new faces in the clubhouses at the start of next season.

The following players are considered the best available free agents.

1. Squire Ludwig, 35 year-old starting pitcher
2. Tomas Sperry, 29 year-old left fielder
3. Carlos Burrell, 30 year-old starting pitcher
4. Lorenzo Dubois, 32 year-old starting pitcher
5. Matthew Mullins, 39 year-old starting pitcher
6. Harman Putman, 29 year-old starting pitcher
7. Snooks Mckay, 31 year-old right fielder
8. Ramon Starke, 29 year-old left fielder
9. Baby-doll Hurst, 35 year-old starting pitcher
10. Sydney Eddington, 32 year-old starting pitcher

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-26-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #190
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Brooklyn Wins Bidding for RF Mcgovern

BROOKLYN, NY. November 15, 1916 - In the first major free agent signing, Dick Mcgovern finalized an accord with the Titans this morning, agreeing to $176,600 over 2 years.

Though many consider him green, they also see his raw talent and expect a lot out of this young man before his tenure in Brooklyn has run its course.

In his career Mcgovern has hit .288 with 526 hits, 17 home runs, 228 RBIs and scored 270 runs.

McGovern gives the Titans another young player to rely on in the outfield, but one must wonder if Julius Eason or Tuck Clifton, two budding stars, will be traded.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-26-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #191
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

$121,860 Lands CF Clark for Gothams

NEW YORK, NY. November 22, 1916 - Feedback was positive in New York today as the club announced a two-year agreement with left fielder Max Clark, one of the league's marquee players.

Lifetime in 508 games Clark is batting .276 with 2 home runs and 231 RBIs.

Clark will likely bat in the heart of the order in New York, giving the Gothams some much needed pop in the lineup. He'll join Powhatan Lange and Abner Walsh in the outfield.

He'll make a little over $60,000 each season for the next two years.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-26-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #192
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Brooklyn Adds Catcher Sheffield, Make Trade

BROOKLYN, NY. November 26, 1916 - Fans in Brooklyn ushered in Bimm Sheffield today as their new catcher. The 30-year-old came to terms with the Titans and will be hauling in $74,420 a year over 2 years.

To date Sheffield has a .279 career batting average and has totaled 18 home runs.

The move was clearly a sign that they were looking to move their current catcher, Archibald McConnel. The 24-year-old was the bait they needed to upgrade their pitching staff, so that's what they did.

They'll ship 24-year old catcher Archibald McConnell, 23-year old right fielder Julius Eason and 23-year old minor league right fielder Pappy Mcallister to the Pittsburgh Keystones for 35-year old catcher Spider Hitchcock, 25-year old starting pitcher Thomas Moyer and 21-year old minor league right fielder Junius Elwell. The Titans general manager, explaining the trade, said: "To add a player of this ability, you've got to give up a good player. That's just how it works."

In his 218-game career Eason has tagged 220 hits with 37 doubles, 24 triples and 16 home runs. His lifetime batting average is .302 with 91 RBIs and 108 runs scored.

Since joining the league, Moyer has compiled an ERA of 3.21 with a career record of 31-42. He has 330 strikeouts in 658.2 innings and has held opponents to a .249 batting average.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #193
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

It's Official: SP Putman Signs with Wolverines

DETROIT, MI. December 10, 1916 - The Wolverines and Harman Putman reached an accord earlier today which brings the starting pitcher to town for 2 years.

Putman will pocket $81,400 total and is widely expected to contribute significantly to the club's playoff drive.

Putman has a won-lost record of 84 wins and 72 losses with 812 strikeouts and a lifetime 2.89 ERA. Last season, he led his Chicago team to a Presidents Cup win by going 26-10.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #194
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wolverines Add More Pitching with SP Barnhart

DETROIT, MI. December 12, 1916 - Isiah Barnhart stepped before the podium yesterday afternoon with Detroit officials flanking him on both sides as he doffed the Wolverines cap and announced he'd reached an agreement to play in Detroit for 2 years.

The deal, an estimated $112,120 in total, is widely seen as a positive move for an organization looking to upgrade their starting pitching.

In his career Barnhart has crafted a 45-22 record with a 1.96 ERA in 634.1 innings. Opposing clubs are batting .217 against him and he has rung up 462 strikeouts.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #195
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Titans Ink Deal with MVP Starke

BROOKLYN, NY. December 12, 1916 - Brooklyn officials were grinning from ear to ear as they introduced yet another blockbuster signing to the media early yesterday.

Ramon Starke, one of the game's marquee talents, opted for the Titans after receiving a 2-year, $160,920 offer.

Starke has a career .312 batting average and .363 on-base percentage. He has recorded 576 hits with 59 doubles, 38 triples, 23 homers, 262 RBIs and scored 260 runs since coming into the league. He also won the MVP award with the Reading Reds last season.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #196
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Groat Chooses New York as New Home

NEW YORK, NY. December 12, 1916 - Team insiders were tight-lipped prior to yesterday's deal that brought 24-year-old second baseman Boots Groat to New York.

Groat is considered one of the league's A-list players and certainly will enhance any chances the Gothams have to win a playoff spot this year.

Checking out his career figures, Groat has played in 519 games with a .285 batting average. Among his 578 hits are 4 home runs. He also has scored 277 runs, stolen 223 bases and driven in 203 runs.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #197
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

SP Theo Murrell Signs Contract with Brooklyn

BROOKLYN, NY. December 30, 1916 - The euphoria surrounding a big name deal can sometimes overshadow the deal itself. Occasionally a team will mortgage its future to make a big splash, though no one in Brooklyn was worried about that today as the club finalized terms with Theo Murrell.

Murrell will earn $44,070 per year over 2 years.

In his career Murrell has fanned 795 batters and walked 356 in 1306.2 innings of work. His lifetime won-lost record is 80 victories and 73 defeats with a 2.96 ERA and opposing hitters have compiled a .253 against him.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #198
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Done Deal! SP Bennett Signs with Gothams

NEW YORK, NY. December 30, 1916 - As speculation mounted into the morning, rumors over a final agreement between Floyd Bennett and New York became a reality, with the star opting for a $113,440 deal over 2 years.

Career-to-date, Bennett has a record of 84 wins and 75 losses and a 2.80 ERA.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #199
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Chicago, C Courtney Come to Agreement

CHICAGO, IL. January 10, 1917 - The Whales today announced that they have come to terms with Eddy Courtney, a 31-year-old catcher they've been scouting for a while.

Courtney will earn $49,740 a year over 2 years and is expected to play a key role with the club.

Courtney has played in 550 games and is hitting .253 lifetime with 240 RBIs, 509 hits, 61 doubles, 8 triples and 37 home runs. He has scored 250 times and stolen 9 bases.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #200
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

3B Boyce to Wolverines

DETROIT, MI. January 23, 1917 - Detroit fans could barely contain their jubilation as Rip Boyce, considered one of the best at his position, opted to sign with the club.

The deal, estimated at $37,620 over 3 years, is seen as a masterstroke for the General Manager's office and could well go down as one of the shrewdest moves in club history.

Taking a look at his lifetime stats, Boyce is hitting .288 with a total of 6 home runs.