Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Hot Corner: A RTTS Dynasty (MLB 09: The Show)

Marvin Schallman was my Grandfather. He passed on about 3 months ago, and he had without a doubt lived one of the most interesting lives a man could live. He was born in Chicago in the year 1920. He was very successful as an amatuer pitcher, and at the age of 19 he was drafted by the Reds in and played in their minor league system. He threw a mid 90's rising fastball, and talked about how he used to pitch both games of a double header without a second thought. Shortly thereafter, he joined the Navy during World War II as a Jew. He returned home some years later, got married, had 3 children, and lived a long, full, happy life. As I grew attached to him as a child, I gave him the nickname "Pops" that stuck, and everybody refered to him as Pops from there on out.

This is the new story of Marvin "Pops" Schallman.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I played Third Base for a local high school here in Pennsylvania, and after talking to several scouts on several teams, I was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies. They brought me in for Spring Training, but decided I was too raw and all I got was a few defensive duties. They offered me a 3 year contract for $97,500 and a spot as the backup 3rd Baseman on their AA afiliate, the Reading Phillies. I accepted!

I have been working hard with the Hitting Coaches, and though I led the division in Home Runs and RBI's in high school, I know I'll be facing much tougher pitchers here, now that I'm playing "real" baseball. The season is starting, and I'm excited.

4/9 - Openning Day. We are playing the Harrisburg Senators in a 3 game series. I am asked to pinch hit with 1 out and nobody on. Michael O'Connor is pitching. The very first pitch is a fastball which I crush right back at O'Connors head. He ducks just in time and I sprint to first. I get a hit in my very first at bat! I work my way to third and eventually score on a single to right! We lose though, 3-5.

4/10 - I watch this game from the dugout. We Win 2-1

4/11 - I'm asked to pinch hit in the 8th with men on the corners and 1 out. Zach Segovia is pitching. I have a chance to drive in a run here but he jams me and I pop up to the 2nd baseman. We lose this one 3-5 as well.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-25-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

4/13 - We are playing the Binghamton Mets in a 3 game seris. I'm brought into the game in the bottom of the 7th inning to lead off. Salvador Aguilar is pitching. We are leading 7-4. He catches me reaching for an outside fastball after 2 very nice pitches on the corners. We take this one though, 7-4.

4/14 - I am asked to pinch hit with 2 outs and nobody on in the 7th. Jenrry Mejia is pitching. We are losing 0-5. I smack a fastball down the leftfield line for a double. Though that's where I am stranded. We lose 0-6 as I don't get to bat again.

4/15 - I get my first start! Brad Hold is on the hill for the Mets. I will be playing 2B and batting 3rd. I go 0-4 in what is a horrible game. Striking out 3 times and hitting into a DP. I absolutely crushed 2 pitches over the wall in two separate at bats that were foul by a combined 10 feet. We still win though, 1-0.

4/16 - We're headed to Harrisburg for another 3 game series this time over there. I'm starting again, this time at 1B. I go 1-5 in this one with a run scored, and my second straight 3k day...ouch. I'm just not seeing the ball out of the pitchers hands so far.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-25-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

4/17 - I start this game at 3B. I wind up going 1 for 4 with an RBI double in the 3rd inning. I continue my K fest though with another two. We win 2-1!

4/18 - I start again at third in the final game against Harrisburg. Things are looking bleak up until the 8th inning where I walked up to the plate having struck out in my first two at bats. However I whalloped a 2-2 high fastball over the wall in left for my first ever official homerun! We lost 3-7 though

4/20 - We're playing the Aeros in a 3 game series in Altoona. I come into the game in the 6th and punch a single into right field, but we lose again 3-4.

4/21 - I come into the game as a pinch hitter again, this time in the 8th inning and I ground out to the SS. We can't mount any offense and we lose 0-1.

4/22 - I start this game at first base, and I go 2 for 5 with an RBI single in the top of the 9th to put us up 4-1. That was also the final score.

4/23 - We head back home for a 3 game series against Bowie. I go 1 for 5, but I contribute to the board with an RBI single in the 7th. We win 7-3!

4/25 - Bowie takes game number two as I go 1 for 4 with a single. We lose 0-4

4/26 - Bowie takes the series and again I only manage one hit. This times it's a single through the hole on the left side in the top of the 9th. I watch the game end on a DP and we lose 2-7.

4/28 - I'm asked to pinch hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the 7th inning. Thsi is the first game of a 3 game series against the Aeros. I slap a grounder to the 3rd baseman and he guns me down at first, but the runner scores! I get an RBI but it's the only one of the game for us, we lose 1-3.

4/29 - I start tonight at first base. The Aeros take this one 1-6. I single in my first at bat, but I strain my tricep in the 3rd inning reaching for a ball.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

At the end of my first month here are my statistics at the plate.

16 G, 44 AB, .273, 12 H, 5 R, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB, 14 K, .386 SLG, .273 OBP

As a team we are 7-13 and in last place in the Eastern League South division.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

5/3 - Upon recovering from my injury, Coach calls me into his office. He says that I'm being promoted to everyday starter at third! Excellent! That was fast.

5/4 - In my first game as the official starting 3B, and did not do well. I go 0 for 4 and we lose to Connecticut 1-2.

5/5 - Again I go 0 for 4. I feel like I need something to get me back on track after my injury. We lose to Connnecticut again 0-6.

5/6 - Today is the day I needed. I go 2 for 5, but both hits are doubles, and I drive a run in as well. We beat Connecticut this time 4-0

5/7 - I'm given a day off but the team needs me to pinch hit in a tight spot in the 8th. Unfortunately I strike out, but we win anyway and split the series with Connecticut 9-8.

5/8 - We head back home for a 3 game series against the Curve. Today I go 1 for 4 with a single, and I wind up scoring the games only run on a very close play at the plate. We win 1-0!

5/9 - Again I have the day off, and they need me in the 7th. I fly out though. We still beat the Curve 2-1

5/10 - I go 1 for 5 today, but I reach base twice thanks to a fielders choice. I don't score though, in fact nobody on my team does. We lose but still take the series. 0-5

5/12 - We play the SeaWolves in a short 2 game series. In my second at bat I nail a low outside heater and it sails over the wall for a 2 run home run! I go 1 for 4 but I'm responsible for our only 2 runs. We win 2-0!

5/13 - We get three hit by Brandon Hamilton and I go 0 for 3. We lose 0-4 in the second game.

5/14 - We head back home to play against the Senators in a 4 game series. I go 1 for 5, but I sacrafice in a run in the 7th. It's not enough, and we lose 5-7

5/15 - We are shutout again and I go 0 for 4. I'm not playing my best ball lately. 0-3

5/16 - I'm asked to come in during the 5th inning and promptly strike out. I fly out in my next and only other at bat. We lose 1-8

5/17 - Spot duty again as they ask me to come in in the 11th inning with nobody out, and I single my way on. I work my way to third but they can't bring me home. We win it in 12. 3-2

5/19 - A 2 game series against the Rock Cats at home. I go 1 for 4 with a double and a run, and we win it 3-0.

5/20 - As per what seems to be the norm, I go 1 for 4 again with a single this time. We can't score though, and we commit 3 errors. We lose 0-6

5/22 - We travel to Altoona for a 4 game series against the Curve. I single my way on base in my first at bat. In the 2nd inning I pull a muscle in my back and I have to come out the game. Docs say I'll be fine but I need to rest for a couple days. We win 7-2

5/25 - I return to the lineup and go 1 for 5 with a bases loaded 2 RBI single in the 8th. It's not enough though, and we drop the final game against the Curve 9-10

5/26 - We travel to Akron to face off against the Aeros in a 3 game series. I finally have a multi hit game again and go 2 for 4 with an RBI. We lose 3-7

5/27 - I have a terrible game, going 0 for 5 and striking out three times. Aparently my team didn't need me though, and we win 3-1

5/28 - After that last game coach tells me I need to hit some BP

5/29 - I guess the BP doesn't help, because in the first game of a 3 game series against New Hampshire I go 0 for 5 again with 2 K's. Ouch. I haven't gotten a hit in 11 at bats and my average has dipped considerably. We lose 3-6

5/30 - I single in a run in my first at bat in game two and end the dry spell. I go 1 for 4 but that run turns out to be the deciding factor as we win 4-3.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

At the end of my second month here are my statistics at the plate.

38 G, 123 AB, .228 AVG, 28 H, 9 R, 6 2B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 3 SB, 38 K, .325 SLG, .228 OBP, .953 FIELD %

As a team we are 21-30 and in last place in the Eastern League South Division.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

6/1 - We start a 3 game series against the Aeros. I go 2 for 4 with a single and a double, but I strike out in my other two at bats as my whiffing problems continue. I get to third once, but they can't bring me home as we have trouble getting hits with runners in scoring position. We lose 1-3

6/3 - I go 1 for 4, with a double and an RBI sac fly in the 2nd. I strike out 3 times in this game though. We win 7-5.

6/4 - I go 1 for 5 scoring a run, and as usual striking out 3 times. I'm really racking up the K's here. We take the series with a 8-5 victory.

6/5 - We travel to New Hampshire for a 3 game series. In game one I go 0 for 3, striking out and also hitting into a DP. We only manage to get 2 hits in the entire game, and lose 0-4.

6/6 - I sit this one out and we win 2-0 on a strong pitching performance by Edgar Garcia.

6/7 - I return to the lineup and can't get on in 4 at bats. I strike out three times. We can't seem to generate mucho ffense again as we lose 0-5.

After todays game the coach calls me into his office and tells me that I need to start working with the hitting coach a little closer. I'm a bit too free swinging and if I keep it up like this he may bench me.

6/9 - The Thunder are in town for a 3 game series, and I really need to step things up. In the first game I go 2 for 3 with a walk, a single, and a 2 RBI double in the 7th! It's not enough though, and we fall 3-5.

6/10 - I go 2 for 4 with an RBI single in the 3rd, and a run scored. This is my first time with back to back multi hit games. We win it 3-1 behind clutch hitting and strong pitching by Antonio Bastardo (worst name ever).

6/11 -

6/12 - The Senators come to town this time for a 4 game series. In the first game I go 0 for 4, and strike out twice...ouch. We get shutout and lose 0-3.

6/13 - In game number two I go 1 for 4, but I strike out twice again. I just can't seem to stay away from high fastballs, or low curveballs. We lose again, this time 1-4.

6/14 - In game number three I sit but am called upon to pinch hit int he 6th with the game tied. I fly out to deep center, and our pen gives up a run the next inning. We lose 3-4.

6/15 - I go 2 for 4 in the last game, with two singles. I only strike out once (heh) and we avoid the sweep, winning 2-1.

6/16 - We travel to Bowie for a 3 game series, and I'm asked to sit again. The game is tied in the top of the 9th with a man on 2nd, and I'm asked to pinch hit. I single home the runner and we go up 7-6! We win by that score and I'm named the Player of the game!

6/17 - Game two goes 17 looong innings, and I get to bat 8 times. I reach base twice, each time with a single, but they break the 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 17th and win it 0-1.

6/18 - In the last game I go 1 for 5 with a single in the 9th. I strike out 3 times though, and I also hit into a DP. A very ugly game for me, and I'm starting to sense the coaches trust in me drop fast.

6/19 - The Senators come to our house this time for a 3 game series. Once again I'm asked to sit, but I come on to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th when we're down by 1. I punch a single over the 2nd basemans head, but the next man strikes out and we lose 3-4.

6/20 - I go 0 for 3 with an RBI sac fly in the 1st, and I got on via an error by the SS in the 5th. We win 6-4

6/21 - I sit...again...and I'm asked to pinch hit again. I ground to the SS in the 8th inning for my only at bat and we lose 6-7 :-\

6/23 - New Hampshire is in town for a 3 game series, and I'm hoping I can get hot so I don't lose my spot in the lineup. I go 1 for 3 in the first game, with a single in the 7th but a GDP in the 1st. We lose 0-4.

6/24 - I go 0 for 4 in the second game, but I drive in a run with a sac fly in the 5th. I don't strike out, but I hit into another DP and I am now the team leader in GDP. We lose 3-5.

6/25 - Uh oh...I'm asked to sit again and we lose 0-10. This can't be good.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

6/26 - We play the Thunder in a 4 game series. In game one I go 1 for 4 with an RBI single...but we lose 5-6.

6/27 - I go 1 for 4 again, but I ground into 2 DP's, and we lose 1-2.

6/28 - I go 1 for 4 yet again. I reach base with a double and I sacrafice a man over to third with nobody out, but we still fail to score, and lose 0-1.

6/29 - The coach sits me and we avoid the sweep, winning 7-5. After the game he calls me into his office and tells me that I've been striking out far too often, and my clutch hitting is almost non-existant lately. He's benching me for now, but if I can improve my game and work on my mechanics then I'll be back in the lineup in no time.

shit on toast
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

6/30 - I ride the pine for the second straight game, not even getting in to pinch hit. We win in the first of four games against Altoona, 7-5.

7/1 - I get the start today, and go 0 for 4 with a strikeout. We can't get on the board, and we lose 0-1.

7/2 - I start again and go 0 for 4 again, my batting average is dropping like a rock. We lose 2-9

7/3 - I get called upon to pinch hit in the 8th, and I strike out...again. We win as our team breaks the tie later that same inning, 4-3.

7/4 - I'm on the pine again. Today we play against the Defenders, the Giants AA affiliate, and their stud young pitching prospect Madison Bumgarner is on the hill. We manage to score a couple runs against him and force extra innings. We win it in 12 by a score of 3-2!

7/5 - Riding the pine again, but I pinch hit in the 8th and ground out to short. We win it 3-1.

7/6 - Today I get the start at third in the last game of the series against the Defenders. I have a terrible game, going 0 for 4 and striking out 3 times. I'm in a horrible slump and my batting average dips to a season low .218. We lose 1-7

7/7 - I watch us get shut out from the dugout today, as we begin a 3 game series against the Aeros. We lose 0-7

7/8 - I get the start today, but at second base. I finally come through with a multi hit game and go 2 for 5, with two doubles, an RBI, and a run scored. We win it in 11 innings 6-3.

7/9 - I ride the pine but pinch hit in the 9th with the score tied 0-0. I strike out after a 10 pitch at bat, and we lose in 10 inning 0-2.

7/10 - We face off against the senators in a 4 game series, and this is the last series before the all star break. I get the start at third, and have one of my best games this year. I go 3 for 5 with two different RBI singles, and I avoid the strikeout bug. We win 4-2 in 10 innings!

7/11 - I watch this one from the bench, but get put in to pinch hit in the 8th again. I fly out to center, but we still win 5-3.

7/12 - I get the start today, but at first base for some reason. I go 0 for 4 and strikeout once...ouch. We lose 1-8

7/13 - I start today at 2B, and in my second at bat I nail a pitch over the left field wall for a solo Homerun! That's my 3rd homer of the year, and we win it 3-0.

7/16 - After the All-Star break, we host the Rock Cats in a four game series. In the first game I ride the pine, but pinch hit in the 9th. I strike out, and we lose 0-3

7/17 - I watch this one all the way to the end, and we lose 3-5.

7/18 - I come into this game in the 5th inning, and get my first ever reps behind the dish in the squat. I go 0 for 2 in my only two at bats, and strikeout one of those times. We score 6 times, but they score 9 times.

7/19 - We get swept in an ugly 4 game series. I start at 2B and go 0 for 3, hitting into one DP and also getting boinked by the ball in the 8th.

7/20 - We start out a 4 game series against Altoona today. I start at SS, and I go 2 for 4 with two singles and two RBI's, one of which is the one that puts us ahead in the 11th inning! We win 4-3

7/21 - I watch from the bench today, but I'm asked to pinch hit in the 9th inning with a man on 2nd and no outs. I surprise everyone by sacraficing the man over to third with a bunt. We can't get him home though, and we lose by 1 run, 4-5.

7/22 - I start today at 2B and I go 1 for 5 in a 12 inning game. I knock a man in with an RBI double in the 5th, and I knock a game deciding RBI in with a sac fly in the top of the 12th. We win 7-6!

7/23 - I'm asked to pinch hit in the 9th with the game tied 5-5. I get the pitch I'm looking for and pound it to deep center, but it falls at the warning track and it just turns into a long loud out. We lose in the bottom of the 9th 5-6

7/24 - We play Bowie in a 3 game series, and I come into the game in the 9th, down by 2. I single my way on base, but nobody can do much else after and we lose 2-4.

7/25 - I get the start today at 2B and get on base again, going 1 for 4, striking out once. We can't manage much offense as a team though, and we lose 1-3.

7/26 - I start at today, and I have another terrible game. I strike out twice, and though I seem to learn to be more patient at the plate by the time I come up to bat in the 9th and draw a walk, it's too little too late. We lose 5-7 and get swept. We are now 18 games back and in last place.

7/27 - The Sea Dogs are in town for a 4 game series, and hopefully I can turn this thing around. Well...not this game. I go 0 for 4, but the rest of the team lights their pitcher up. We win 6-3...my average is down to .220

7/28 - I watch this game from the pine. In the bottom of the 9th they ask me to pinch hit, and I come up to bat with two outs and the score tied 4-4. I work the count to 3-1, and now I'm thinking fastball, just throw me the fastball meat. I know it's a heater right at the release point, but it's low and outside. I swing and make good contact with the ball, but it goes to the opposite field and is very high. The Rightfielder runs back...back...to the track...his back is to the wall but the wall is very short and barely comes up to his waist, so he'll have a good chance at catching one. The ball comes down, he leaps into the air, and it's over his glove! I end the game with my first ever walk off homerun! Pumping my fists into the air and jumping up and down the first base line, I round the bases feeling like I'm on cloud nine. After turning third I see all of my teammates waiting for me at home and they mob me as I jump on the dish to seal the deal. Woohoo! We win 5-4

7/29 - After yesterdays game I get the start at 2B, and I go 1 for 4. I'm on deck in the bottom of the 9th with a man on 1st and only one out, but I watch Terry Tiffee (the starting 3B when I'm not starting) ground into a DP to end the game. We lose 4-5

7/30 - I watch the entire game from the dugout and we lose 1-4...we are just playing absolutely awful baseball.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

7/31 - We travel to Erie to face off against the SeaWolves for a 3 game series. I start the first game at my natural position and go 1 for 4. Our staff gets blown up though and we lose 2-9.

8/1 - I start again, this time at 2B, which seems to be where I'm getting most of my spot starts. If I don't get my old starting gig back I'm considering asking for a temporary position change to be the full time starter at 2B. I feel like I'm starting to get hot, and I go 2 for 4 with a stolen base, and an RBI to put us ahead in the top of the 10th. I'm really starting to be clutch at the plate now, and my patience and willingness to wait for a good pitch is starting to pay off. We win 3-1

8/2 - I start at third, and make great contact during all four of my plate appearances, but all of the balls go right to them. I go 0 for 4, and we lose 3-2

8/4 - The Trenton Thunder are in town for a 3 game series as the season is starting to wind down. There are just 5 weeks left. We have long since been eliminated from playoff conention, now it's just time to develop my skills and work on mechanics. I watch the first game of the series from the dugout, and we win 5-1.

8/5 - I start today at SS, and I go 1 for 4 with a single. We can't seem to get any rallies going though, and we lose 1-6.

8/6 - I watch from the bench again, but I'm called on to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th when we're down by 3. I hit a line drive to right field that looks like a gaper but their RF runs it down. We lose 0-3

8/7 - Binghamton is where the bus takes us for this next 3 game series. I get the start at 3B. I have my best game as a pro today. In the 7th inning with the game tied 0-0, I come to bat with a man on 2nd and two away. On a 1-0 count the pitcher lays a fat one right into my wheelhouse, and I absolutely destroy it over the wall in left-center. I know it's gone as soon as it leaves my bat and I celebrate my 5th Homerun of the year, and first multi-run shot. In the 9th inning I come to bat with a man on 3rd and two away, and I slap a single into center field for my 3rd RBI of the game. As it turns out, those were all the runs scored in the game and I'm named the player of the game. I go 3 for 5 with 2 singles, a 2 run HR, and 3 RBI's. We win 3-0.

8/8 - The coach is really taking notice of my patience at the plate the past week and a half. He lets me know that I'm right on the verge of busting back into the starting spot at 3rd. Today's game didn't help my chances, as I go 0 for 4 with a strikeout, and we lose 0-4.

8/9 - I start again, and I go 0 for 4 again...ouch. My average drops 9 points in two games, and I am afraid I blew my shot at regaining the starting 3B spot.

After the game coach calls me into his office, and he says that though I have cooled down a bit from my hot streak before, he's still impressed with my patience at the plate now, and he thinks I deserve to finish out the year at third base!

8/11 - We are bussed to Trenton for a 3 game series against the Thunder. I go 0 for 4 again, grounding into a key double play in the 6th, and I'm officially in a slump. We lose 0-1

8/12 - In game two, I start getting frustrated. I can't seem to get good wood on the ball, and when I do it's right at someone. I go 0 for 4 in my 4th straight game, this time striking out once. My average drops to .218 again, and we lose the game 1-9

8/13 - Coach tells me to take the night off and "think", so I watch this one from the bench. We lose 2-6 and get swept.

8/14 - We hop on the bus back home and the Binghamton Mets are there waiting for us. We are playing a 3 game series and I'm really hoping to bust out of this 0 for 16 slump. Yeah...not so much. I go 0 for 5, striking out once, and I am now 0 for my last 21 at bats. My average drops to a season low .215 and I'm officially depressed. We lose 1-4

8/15 - I strike out in my first at bat in this one, making it 0 for 22, but in my second at bat I get an RBI single! I finish the day 1 for 4 but I'm more than happy with that. We win it 4-3

8/16 - I get another night off, and I watch as we win it 4-3 and take the series.

8/18 - Well, I'm back in the lineup today, and in our first of three games against Portland, I wish I wasn't. We get shutout on 2 hits, and I get neither of them. I go 0 for 4, and I'm now 1 for my last 29. My average drops to a sickly .213. We lose the game 0-3

8/19 - Today, I think I started to turn things around. In the 6th inning I have an RBI single to tie the game up 3-3, and in the 9th inning I have another RBI single to put us up 4-3, plus I come around to score an insurance run later that inning. I finnish the day 2 for 5 with 2 RBI and a run scored. We win it 7-3

8/20 - Today was a very active day for me. I got hit by a pitch, I doubled in the 11th, I knocked in 2 runs, and I scored 3 runs. My final line was 3 for 6, and we won in 11 innings, 14-11.

8/21 - We travel to New Britain to face off against the Rock Cats in a 4 game series. I'm definitely out of my old funk, and I'm very happy about it. I took some great cuts in batting practice today, and though I didn't start I was put into the game in the 9th inning to pinch hit. I didn't get on base, but I came back up in the 11th inning and led off with a double, eventually coming home to score the winning run! We win 7-6

8/22 - I sit this one out, but we still win it 6-4!

8/23 - I have another great game today. In the 4th inning I singled in a runner for an RBI. In the 5th inning I came to bat with 2 men on, and poked my first 3 run homer over the left field wall! In the 6th I came up again and singled my way on, giving me a hit in three straight innings. I finished the game going 3 for 5 with 4 RBI, 1 HR, and 1 run scored. I'm named the player of the game and I'm definitely on fire now. Amazingly, we lose 8-9

8/24 - I hit safely in my 5th straight game, as I go 1 for 4 with a stolen base. We can't seem to get much going though, and we lose 2-6.

8/25 - We head back home and face Erie in a 3 game series. We get shutout, and I watch from the bench. Final score 0-2

8/26 - I continue my hot streak and go 2 for 5 with a solo homerun! I also score a pair of runs, and we win it 5-4 in 10 innings. I've finally got my average back up over .230

8/27 - I watch from the dugout today, and we take the last game of the series 6-1

8/28 - Bowie is in town for a 4 game series, and there are now less than 2 weeks left in the season. I go 1 for 4, grounding into a DP and striking out as well. Not my best game, but I have now hit safely in 7 straight games. We lose by giving up a run in the 9th, 3-2.

8/29 - We get shutout on 4 hits today, one of them a single by me in the 9th inning. I also draw a walk early in the game, but we just can't get anything going. 0-1 is the final score.

8/30 - I go 2 for 4 today, with an RBI single in the 1st and 7th innings. We win it 3-1 and I'm named the player of the game. My average is now up to .235 and I'd like to end the season with it at or above .230

8/31 - I watch this game from the dugout, but they call on me to pinch hit in the 9th inning with the game tied. I strikeout on a very tough at bat, but we still win a couple batters later, 2-1.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

9/1 - The bus takes us to new Britain for our second to last series of the season. I go 1 for 5, scoring a run. I hit into two DP's though, and I strike out once. I'm not quite feeling it like I was a week or so ago. We win it 6-4, nearly blowing it by giving up 4 runs in the 9th.

9/2 - I sit again today, but they call on me to pinch hit in the 8th. I can't seem to get a rhythm going with these inconsistent starts, and I pop up in my only at bat. We lose 1-3

9/3 - I go 0 for 4 with two strikeouts, and I'm really just in a funk again. I'm swinging at bad pitches, and watching fat ones go by. My average dips to .230 and I'm afraid it will go lower at this pace. We lose 1-5 and get swept by the Rock Cats.

9/4 - We travel to Connecticut for our last series of the year in a 4 gamer against the first place Defenders. In the first game I only manage 1 hit in 5 at bats, but it's an RBI double that puts us up 7-0 in the 5th inning. We just get by in the later innings and the final score is 7-5, we win.

9/5 - I get another day off, but I pinch hit int eh 8th and ground out to 2nd, dipping my average below .230 with only 2 games left. We lose 1-2 in a very tough game.

9/6 - We only manage 3 hits all game, one of them being mine. We lose 1-5 and we look just terrible against a decent team. My average is back up to .230 with just one game left.

9/7 - I need just 1 hit in todays game to end the year at .230, but I just can't get it. Two great plays are made in the outfield after I get some solid contact. We force extra innings, but lose it in 10 by a score of 2-3.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Season is over. On a pesonal, selfish level, I'd call the season a success. On a team level, it was a miserable failure. We finished the year 57-85 and 20 game back from first place. We were 7 game back from the team in second to last place, and we had the worst record in the league by 2 games. My final statline of the year -

114 G, 382 AB, .228 AVG, 87 H, 26 R, 16 2B, 0 3B, 8 HR, 48 RBI, 12 SB, 8 CS, 3 BB (ouch), 91 K (double ouch), .332 SLG, .233 OBP, 25 GDP, .961 FLD %, .198 V RHP, .290 V LHP, .279 RISP

I didnt finish among the league leaders in much of anything, mainly because of my lack of at bats. I was very streaky, and I'm hoping that next year I can be more consistent, and patient. I'm almost positive that I'll be promoted to AAA, especially if I keep up my power numbers. I'm a bit scared of the pitching I'll see at a higher level, but I figure as long as I stay patient then I will be ok.

The Phillies followed their 2008 World Series year up with a dissapointing 77-85 season, finishing 14 games behind the Braves.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Up in the show, the Braves won the World Series in 6 games against the BoSox.

Brian McCann was the World Series MVP, hitting .440 with 2 jacks and 8 RBI. Nice!

Here are the award winners in the NL.

MVP - Manny Ramirez - .332, 46 HR, 127 RBI
CY Young - Carlos Zambrano - 3.44, 19-4, 150 K
Silver Slugger - Chipper Jones - .341 AVG, 33 HR, 104 RBI
ROY - Chris Dickerson - .264, 22 HR, 57 RBI
Hank Aaron award - Chipper Jones...

Here are the award winners in the AL -

MVP - Miguel Cabrera - .310, 40 HR, 149 RBI
Cy Young - Clif Lee - 3.23, 21-7, 156 K
Silver Slugger - Mark DeRosa - .332, 23 HR, 111 RBI
ROY - Colby Rasmus - .316, 11 HR, 44 RBI
Hank Aaron Award - Mark Teixeira - .314, 30 HR, 102 RBI
Old 07-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Notable Retirements

Jamie Moyer
Chan Ho Park
Johnny Damon
Jorge Posada
Mariano Rivera
Ken Griffey Jr.
Tom glavine
Arthur Lee Rhodes
Migeul Tejada
Trevor Hoffman
Randy Johnson

Big Free Agent Signings

Rays - Vlad for 3 years

Indians - Maglio Ordonez for 6 years

Braves - Bengie Molina for 3 years

Mets - Matt Holliday for 3 years

Yankees - Carl Crawford for 4 years

White Sox - Jason Marquis for 5 years, Brian Tallet for 4 years, and Adrian Beltre for 9 years!

Cards - Kelvin Escobar for 3 years

Cubbies - Brett Myers for 3 years

Royals - Mark Prior for 3 years

Tim Lincecum remains with the Giants and gets $22M via arbitration! Holy crap

We do not sign any notable FA's.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Starting out 2010, our Lineup looks like so.

LF Mike Spidale - 28 y/o - A speedy outfielder who may make it to the bigs, but he will always be battling to stay above the mendoza line
2B Maurice Mack - 21 y/o - A slow runner with a great arm, who has a good potential at the plate.
RF Salomon Gutierrez -19 y/o - A moderately quick OF with great contact potential but not so much power.
DH John Mayberry - 26 y/o - A power hitter with below average contact potential...if he goes pro it will be purely based on his ability to hit longballs
1B Brian Stavisky - 29 y/o - below average in every category, except for fielding...a career minor leaguer
CF Zach Collier - 19 y/o - A quick but no fast CF who may eventually get a decent OBP but he'll be lucky to put up more than 5-10 bombs in a year
3B Anthony Hewitt - 21 y/o - Hewitt is far and away the fastest player on the team. He wont impress at the plate, or in the field, but he'll outrun a horse.
C Travis Darnaud - 21 y/o - A above average arm, even for a pro ballplayer. Average at the plate, he'll eventually make it on somewhere in the bigs.
SS Darin Hoffman - 25 y/o - This guy is absolutely terrible. He is so terrible across the board it's a wonder that he even has a contract.

Bench

C Paul Hoover - 34 y/o - Hoover has some nice tools when he's behind the dish, but he can't hit consistently enough to be reliable at a higher level.
RF Chris Brayman - 27 y/o - He might as well just quit and get a day job now. Just awful.
CF Rich Thompson - 31 y/o - Thompson is decent with the glove, has a below average arm, and is the second fastest player on the team. He should only be used as a pinch runner, and occasionally a defensive replacement.

I am starting 2010 on the bench, getting spot starts just like last year. I did not get an invitation to Spring Training, but that's fine because I was not expecting one.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-11-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Here's what our Pitching Rotation looks like...

RHP Kyle Drabek - 22 y/o - He will go pro, it's only a matter of time. For now he needs to develop his skills, but he has 5 quality pitches to work with.
RHP Drew Naylor - 23 y/o - He is another quality pitcher who just needs some time to hone his skills...unfortunately he only throws 3 pitches right now
RHP Edgar Garcia - 22 y/o - He may, or may not make it. Borderline pitcher who will at best be a #5 starter in his prime
LHP Antonio Bastardo - 24 y/o - The winner of the worst name award, he will probably make it pro but work from the pen, or teeter totter between AAA and the bigs his whole career.
LHP Joe Savery - 24 y/o - He is like Bastardo, will probably teeter totter in his prime. He is limited to the three basic pitches in his arsenal and a low talent cap potential.

The only Reliever worth mentioning is Long Reliever Rodrigo Lopez who has great tools, and surprisingly is the oldest pitcher on the team at 32.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

4/7 - Openning day! We start the season with a 4 game series against Erie, and I'm not in the starting lineup :-\. They do bring me into the game to pinch hit in the 7th inning, and I single in my first at bat. The game goes to extra innings, and in the 10 inning we win it on a 2 RBI double by Maurice Mack. I go 1 for 2 with a single and a K. We win 3-1

4/8 - I ride the pine again today, and get the call to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th with us losing 3-4. I get great wood on the ball but it's right to the left fielder. We can't score and we lose 3-4.

4/9 - I get my first start of the year today, playing 2B. I go 2 for 4 with a run scored, but I strike out in my other two at bats. We take it home in the end though and win 5-4.

4/10 - I get the start on my 19th birthday, this time at SS. I go 1 for 4 with a single and a K. My single comes in the bottom of the ninth in a 0-0 game with 2 outs and moves the runner to third, after which an error brings him home for the win! 1-0

4/12 - The Senatorsare in town for a 3 game series. I sit this one out, but I'm asked to come in and pinch hit int he 8th. I strike out on 3 straight very ugly pitches, and I curse myself back all the way back to the dugout. We win though, shutting them out on 3 hits, and putting 6 runs on the board.

4/13 - I ride the pine again, but they ask me to come on in the 8th again. This time we're losing by four, but the result of my at bat is no different. I go down swinging at something ugly, and we lose 1-5.

4/14 - I get the start at 2B today, and I'm determined to show that I should be an everyday starter. In my first at bat I crank a pitch into the gap that the OF takes a bad angle on, and I chug, chug, chug, around second, going for the triple, it's a close play, I dive head first, and I'm safe! My first career triple! I would score on a single to right, and then knock an RBI of my own in during the 5th inning on a single to give us a 3-1 lead. I finish 2 for 4 with a single, triple, RBI, and run scored.

4/15 - We travel to Erie for a 4 game series against the SeaWolves. I get the start at SS today, and it's not pretty. I go 0 for 4 for the first time this year, and I add another K to my resume. We can't get on the board and lose 0-1

4/16 - I get the start again, this time at 2B. I manage to get on base this time with a single in the 4th inning, one of only 4 hits we had all game. We get a run in the 7th, and shut them out on 5 hits. We win 1-0!

4/17 - I ride the pine today, but I'm asked to pinch hit in the 9th inning. We're down by 1 and there are no outs. A double would be huge, but just getting on base would be a-ok with me. I work the count to 3-2, and whiff at a high fastball...ugh. We lose 1-2.

4/18 - I have my best game as a member of the Phillies organization today. I finish the day 4 for 5, with a single, two doubles, and a 3 run dinger...my first of the year. All game I wished I had tried to leg one of the doubles out into a triple so I could have hit for the cycle...but...hindsight. I was just ON today, and the homerun was for sure the longest of my career. We win 8-6 and I'm named the Player of the game.

4/19 - We hop on the bus and head to Akron for a 3 game series against he Aeros. I ride the pine for he duration of the game today, and watch us lose an ugly game 3-8.

4/20 - I get the start today at 2B, and go 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI sac fly in the 9th inning to get us an insurance run. We win it 5-3!

4/21 - I start again today, this time at SS. I think they're doing whatever they can to get me in the lineup right now, I'm absolutely on fire. Today is no different. I go 3 for 5, though I did strike out once. We win it 3-1 in the 10th as my teammates are unable to knock me in after any of my singles.

4/22 - We travel back home to Pennsylvania to play the Senators in a 4 game series. I sit this one out, but they ask me to pinch hit in the 8th inning after we've tied it up. I wind up getting beaned in the leg, and then I'm stranded at second 2 batters later. We give up 2 runs in the 9th and lose 2-4.

4/23 - I start today, and I come to bat in the bottom of the 11th with the score tied 3-3. There is a man on first with nobody out, and just a base hit would send him to third, nearly guaranteeing a win. I crack a first pitch fastball right by the pitchers head and into center field moving the runner to third. The bring Collier in to pinch run for me, and we win it 2 batters later on an RBI sac fly! I finish 1 for 4, and we win the game 4-3

4/24 - I watch this one, and boy was it a long one. By the time the 16th rolled around and we were still tied 4-4, everyone was exhausted. they asked me to pinch hit and I went in there barely able to see straight, so naturally I struck out looking. We still won though, 5-4

4/25 - I get the start today, but at first base for the first time this year. I have a terrible, terrible game. I get good contact a couple times, just not good enough, and not in the right places. I go 0 for 5 and strike out twice. This one goes extra innings also, but we lose this time, 6-5.

4/27 - The Aeros are in town for a 3 game series. I watch this one in it's entirety from the dugout. We take a 1 run lead with a 3 run 7th inning, going up 9-8, and hold on for the win.

4/28 - I get to start today, this time at 2B. I manage only one hit, but I knock in a run that turns out to be very important. We win it 5-4, and I go 1 for 5 with an RBI single and a K.

4/29 - I go 2 for 5 today. We score 4 in the 1st, but they tie it up after 2 innings. They take a 1 run lead in the top of the 5th, and I spank a hanging curve over the wall for my second home run of the year to tie it back up. That's all we could do though. they scored 3 times in teh 9th to win 5-8.

4/30 - We travel to Erie to face off against the SeaWolves in a 3 game series. I sit this one out. We score 4 runs, but they score 9. We lose.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

At the end of April, my stats look like so...

20 G, 65 AB, .323, 21 H, 5 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 10 RBI, 1 SB, 0 BB (sigh), 15 K, .508 SLG, .328 OBP, .974 FLD %, .256 v RHP, .455 v LHP

Surprisingly, we are in first place! We have a 14-9 record as out pitching is coming around, and we've been able to get some big innings. We hold a 0.5 game lead over the Altoona Curve.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-11-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

5/1 - In the second game against the SeaWolves, I go 2 for 5 with an RBI double. We spank them all over the field and win 9-2.

5/2 - Not as good of a game today, as I go 1 for 5 and we get spanked this time. We lose 3-8

Coach calls me into his office and I'm hoping that he's going to tell me that I'm getting a spot in the lineup as a regular. He sits me down and says John Mayberry is going to be out for a bit and I'll be taking his spot as the DH! After Mayberry gets back I guess he's going to keep me in the starting lineup too! Woohoo!

5/3 - We hop on the bus to Harrisonburg to play the Senators in a 4 game series. In game one I ride the pine, but I'm called upon to pinch hit in the 8th inning. I go down swinging in my only at bat and we lose 3-5

5/4 - In game two I go 2 for 4 with a double, but we can't get any rallys going and lose 3-2.

5/5 - Game three we finally come around and score 5 in the 3rd. We win 5-1, but I go 0 for 5 and my hit streak comes to an end.

5/6 - We take game 4 and split the series while I watch from the bench. I got in the game as a pinch hitter in the 9th and get on base with a single, moving a runner into scoring position. He would eventually score, and we would win 7-6!

5/7 - We ride back home where the Aeros are waiting to play us in a 3 game series. Game one I go 3 for 4 with an RBI single in the 7th to bring the game to within 1. We can't score after that though, and lose 2-3.

5/8 - Nobody can get anything going today, and I go 0 for 4 with a strikeout. We lose 1-7...our record is sinking fast...very fast

5/9 - Game three we try to avoid the sweep. I go 1 for 4, but I have a clutch RBI double in the 6th to bring the game to within 2. We can't manage any more runs, plus our pen gives up 5 in the top of the 9th. We lose 2-9 and get swept.

5/10 - The SeaWolves are in town for a 3 game series. Hopefully we can right the ship. In game one I have trouble seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand, and I strikeout 3 straight times, finishing the day 0 for 4. We get 11 hits but can't get on the board but once. We lose 1-3

5/11 - We are on a terrible run here, and I'm not exactly helping. In game two I go 1 for 4 with a single and a stolen base, but I strike out the other 3 times up to bat. We get shutout and lose 0-6

5/12 - I need something to get me out of this strikeout funk I'm in. Game three I come up to bat in the first inning with a man on second and one out...I get a hold of a hanging curve and just annihilated it. It went 428 feet over the left-center field wall, and we took an early 2-0 lead. I don't manage another hit the rest of the game, but we did rally in the 5th inning for 3 runs and managed our first win in a while. 5-3

5/13 - Back on the bus for a 4 game series against Harrisonburg. I get the day off today, but they call on me to pinch hit in the 8th...I fly out to center, and despite a 2 run 9th inning we still lose 8-9.

5/14 - Mayberry is back in the lineup, and I'm still starting! Today I start at 2B and I go 1 for 4. My average has dipped below .300 for the first time this year. We can't get much going all game, despite another 11 hit day, and we lose 2-4

5/15 - Another day off for me, and another pinch hit opportunity, this time in the 9th. I fly out to left this time, and we lose 3-6.

5/16 - Trying to avoid the sweep, we take this game 14 innings. I start at 2B and go 1 for 7 with 2 strikeouts. We finally bring two runs home in the top of the 14th and win it 7-5. My average is now down to .282

5/18 - I'm hoping that after yesterdays off day, I can bounce back fresh and get my season back on track. The bus takes us to Portland this time for a 3 game series against the Sea Dogs. I take some extra cuts in batting practice and start the day at DH. In my first at bat I step up to the plate with 2 men on and nobody out. I crush one to deep center, and it bounces just in front of the wall. I'm chugging, chugging, chugging and rounding 2nd on my way to third. I slide in just before the ball gets there and have a 2 RBI triple! I get on base a couple more times in this one, and finish the day 3 for 5 with 2 runs scored as well. We win 7-5 and I'm named the player of the game.

5/19 - In game two I go 3 for 4 and once again I'm feeling hot. In the 5th inning we get a rally going and I help it continue with an RBI single to right field. We get 4 runs that inning, but unfortunately they score 2 in the 6th, 3 int he 7th, and 2 in the 8th. We lose 4-8 and the fat lady sings. I have managed to get my batting average back up above .300

5/20 - In the third game I come to bat with nobody on and the game tied in the top of the 9th. I start looking for a low heater that I can play home run derby with, and sure enough I get it! SMACK I pull it hard and it's curving towards the foul line in left field...I lean to the right trying to knudge it over, and the pitcher leans left at the same time...it stays fair and we take a 3-2 lead! I watch the closer give up a run in the bottom of the inning though, and then I watch us give up a 3 run walkoff in the bottom of the 11th. We lose 3-6

5/21 - Back home we go to play Altoona in a 4 game seies. I sit out game one, but they call on me to bat in the 8th. I punch a double into the gap, but they can't bring me home, and we lose 2-3.

5/22 - I'm back in the lineup today, and I go 1 for 4...nothing spectacular. I don't strike out but I do hit into an inning ending DP. We hold a 5-3 lead going into the 9th, and our closer gives up 3 runs en route to a 5-6 defeat.

5/23 - In game three I'm starting at SS which is rare for me. I go 1 for 4 with an RBI single in the 7th that brings the game to within 1, which I then follow up by stealing both 2nd and 3rd, but they can't bring me home and we don't score again. We lose by a final of 3-4.

5/24 - I ride the pine in the final game of the series, but I'm put in to hit in the 7th in a tie game. I reach on an error, and once again steal both 2nd and 3rd base. They knock me in this time giving us the lead, and we take home the victory! 4-3

5/25 - Bowie is in town now for a 3 game series. I start at the DH spot and go 0 for 4...my average dips back below .300. We get a couple decent rallies going though, and we take the first game 5-4!

5/26 - Game two I come to bat in the 1st with a man on 3rd and two away. I slap a hard gronder right between the pitchers legs and into center to bring the man home! We take an early 1-0 lead, but that's the only run we get all game. I finish 2 for 4 with a stolen base and an RBI. We lose 1-3

5/27 - Game three and I'm hoping we can finally win a series...in the 6th I come to bat with nobody on and two away...we're already down 4-0. I work the count full, and the pitcher tries to fool me with a changeup. Unfortunately for him that's what I was expecting and I launch it over the wall for a solo shot. I finish 1 for 4 and again I wind up with the only RBI of the game and we lose 1-4 this time.

5/28 - We jump on the bus and head to Altoona for a 3 game series against the Curve. Game one I sit out which seems to be the norm. They ask me to pinch hit and I whiff at something nasty and out of the zone...we lose 1-6.

5/29 - Back in the lineup this time at 2B, and I go 1 for 5 with a single and a strikeout. My average dips to .293 and we lose...again...3-8. The general feeling in the dugout during games now is just depressing.

5/30 - I sit this one out too, but the bats are hot today as both teams have 8+ runs heading into the 9th. They put me in to pinch hit for the pitcher to lead off the 9th, and I single on a linedrive up the middle. I steal second base, and the next batter singles me home. We score 3 more times and win 13-11!

5/31 - The bus takes us to Bowie this time, and we get ready to play the Baysox in a 3 game series. In game one I start as the DH and go 0 for 5...ouch. I strikeout twice, and the team missed my bat today. We lose 4-7.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

We go 9-21 in the month of May, and our entire season gets flushed down the terlet. Here are my stats after two months.

49 G, 166 AB, .289 AVG, 48 H, 12 R, 7 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR, 21 RBI, 11 SB (tied for the league lead), 3 CS, 0 BB (ugh), 39 K, .446 SLG, .292 OBP, .963 Field %, .237 BA v RHP, .404 BA v LHP, .250 RISP

I feel like I'm seeing the ball much better now, and my average has increased dramatically over last years. I'm still not happy with where it's at, as I feel like I should be at or above .300 most of the time, and my power numbers are nowhere near where they should be, but I think some of that has to do with me not starting right from the beginning of the season too. I'm really hoping for a promotion to AAA sometime this season.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

6/1 - In game two, I start to get hot. I go 2 for 6, both hits being RBI singles. We hit the ball very well as a team today, and get a victory. 9-3

6/2 - I continue to see the ball very well, and In my first at bat of the game I single home a man on 2nd to put us up 2-0. In my second at bat of the game, I poke a hanging curveball (I'm getting very good at taking advantage of these pitchers mistakes now) over the fence in left field formy 6th jack of the year. I finish the day 2 for 5 with 2 runs scored and 2 RBI. We win 9-0!

After the game I get called into the coaches office and he pats me on the back, shakes my hand, and tells me that I had a hell of a game. I walk out feeling like a million bucks, but then I hear him say "hey Pops, there's one more thing". I turn around and walk back to his desk, and then he says that the Phillies have promoted me to their AAA affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs! My heart jumps and I'm pretty sure my body got some air too. I got promoted! WOOHOO!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-18-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I got up early the next morning and drove into Allentown, PA to meet the coaches and my new teammates. Here's a rundown of who they are.

Lineup
DH Domonic Brown - 22 y/o - Brown is a decent contact hitter with very good speed. He probably should be playing in the field. It's only a matter of time before he gets called up.
2B Pablo Ozuna - 35 y/o - Pablo is one of the few guys on the team who has spent a decent amount of time in the show. He is average at best, and nowhere near the best player on the team, but he always has great stories to tell.
1B Jorge Cantu - 28 y/o - Cantu stroked 29 jacks last year in the bigs, but started out in a terrible slump this year and was optioned down to AAA. Everybody knows he wont be here long.
SS Jason Donald - 25 y/o - Donald will probably be who I battle out for a starting spot...at least for now. He has some pop in his bat, but he has trouble hitting much better than .260.
C Lou Marson - 23 y/o - Marson will be a good catcher in the bigs one day. He can hit .300+ in a good year, and he has an absolute cannon for an arm.
RF Michael Taylor - 24 y/o - Taylor is HUGE at 6'6/250. He has a lot of upside and can really put one out of the park, but he seems to be having problems with consistency right now. Still, he probably has the biggets upside of any player in the Lineup.
LF Jeremy Sladen - 27 y/o - Sladen will teeter totter between AAA and the pros his entire career. If he ever stays in the bigs it will be because of lack of depth. He doesn't qualify for above average in any facet of his game.
2B Miguel Cairo - 36 y/o - Cairo is the other player on the team with a lot of big league experience. His skills are dwindling fast though, and everyone knows it's only a matter of time before he finally calls it quits.
CF Dexter Fowler - 23 y/o - Fowler is fast...blazing fast. He has some great reaction time in Center, and that makes him valuable. He wont do much with the bat, but he is great at bunting which should land him a roster spot somewhere.

Bench
CF Quintin Berry - 25 y/o - Berry is fast...very very fast. Unfortunately he is very weak, both at the plate, as well as in the field. His arm strength is well below average, and because of this he's going to have problems getting regular play.
C Ryan Budde - 30 y/o - Budde has a great arm, and is extremely accurate. Unfortunately he just can't hit...at all. He's slower than molasses too, which isn't all that uncommon with catchers, but it makes him even more of a liability at the plate.
C Joel Naughton - 23 y/o - I'm surprised Naughton is at this level and not back down in AA. He is better at the plate than Budde, but not by much. He has a weaker, and less accurate arm.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Rotation

RHP Carlos Carrasco - 23 y/o - Carrasco is a good young pitcher. He is just about ready to be called up, and I'm almost positive that when september comes around he'll be on that 40 man roster. He has a 4 pitch arsenal.
RHP Andrew Carpenter - 24 y/o - Carpenter is an average pitcher at best, and maybe, with some luck, will make it on as a 4th or 5th starter. He has above average stamina already.He has a 5 pitch arsenal.
RHP Vance Worley - 22 y/o - Worley is another potential 4th or 5th starter in the bigs, but he needs a couple more years of seasoning down in the minors. He has a 4 pitch arsenal, including a 2 and 4 seam fastball.
RHP Michael Stutes - 23 y/o - At his best, Stutes will be a spot starter on a bad team. I would be very surprised if he went any further than that, because he just doesn't seem to have the tools. He has a 4 pitch arsenal.
RHP Alexis Trujillo - 24 y/o - Trujillo is terrible...terrible terrible terrible. He shouldn't even be where he is now. He is almost a guaranteed L whenever he takes the mound. He needs to get a day job, and keep it. he has a 4 pitch arsenal.

We have nobody notable coming out of the pen. Every single man will be a mopup releiver, or the man you have to put in because you have nobody that's fresh.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Iron Pigs are in first place in the International League - North Division! I got a pay raise up to 75k/year. I just got my first paycheck and it's nearly double what my old paycheck use to be!

6/3 - My first game on the AAA squad is against the Rochester Red Wings...and it's spent in the dugout...but I get called on to pinch hit in the 9th. I wave at some ugly pitches out of the zone for a K in my first at bat, and ground out in my second at bat. We lose in 12 3-4.

6/4 - The last game of a four game series against the Wings and I don't get a lick of PT. Our pitching is strong though, and we win 4-1.

6/5 - I get on a slightly nicer bus than I'm used to in AA, and we travel to Pawtucket to face off against the Red Sox in a 4 game series. I get my first start today, and it's at 1B. I whiff for the K in my first two at bats, and I'm not doing a great job at staying patient. In my third at bat I come to the plate with us down 5-1, and I get a hold of a hanging curveball and punch it over the fence in left field! My first homerun in AAA comes in my 5th at bat. We lose though, 2-5.

6/6 - I start again today, this time at 2B, and though I go down swinging in my first at bat, I get on base in my next two at bats and finish the game 2 for 4 with a pair of singles. We collect 7 hits as a team but can only score once, and we lose 1-4.

6/7 - I get the start again today, and this time it's at my natural position. I don't do as well today, and I'm still having problems being patient at the plate, but I do manage to collect an RBI in the 7th to bring the game to within 1. We tie it up in the 8th, and then lose in the 9th, 6-7. I go 1 for 4, with an RBI, a HBP, and I grounded into a DP.

6/8 - Series finale against the Sox before a day off, I watch from the bench. We take a 6-1 lead, and nearly blow it by giving up 1 in the 6th and then 3 in the 9th, but we hold on and win it 6-5.

6/10 - We head back home and the Buffalo Bisons are in town for 4 games. In the first game I watch from the bench, but I'm called upon to hit for the pitcher in the 8th in a game that we're winning 8-1. I fly out to center in my only at bat, but we slap them around anyway. We win 8-1.

6/11 - Game two I'm told to ride the pine again. They put me in to hit for the pitcher in the 8th inning when we're down 0-1. I work the count to 2-0, and get a fastball belt high that I turn on and rip over the fence in left-center! Game tied! My second home run winds up sending the game into extra innings, but we can't capitalize and lose 1-2 in 10.

6/12 - Game three I get the start at 2B, and I whiff in 2 more plate appearances. I'm really racking up the strikeouts, but thankfully I'm racking up my RBI too, this time knocking a runner in in the bottom of the 8th to break up a tie game, and eventually leading to our 3-1 victory! I go 1 for 4 with 2 K's, and an RBI.

6/13 - The last game of the series and I get the start at 3B. I go 2 for 4 with 2 singles and a run scored. I've also been doing a pretty good job stealing bases here and there, and today I get my 4th. I didn't strike out today, and in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs I'm on deck with 2 men on base. Unfortunately Ozuna pops up to end the game, and we lose 6-7.

6/14 - Syracuse is in town for a split 4 game series...two here and two there. I sit today out, but I'm called on to hit in the bottom of the 7th with us winning 1-0. I single my way on to lead off the inning, and work my way over eventually scoring to put us up 2-0! 4 pitchers combine for a 2 hit shutout and we win 2-0.

6/15 - I've been very hot lately, and it seems like I'm seeing the ball well. In the second game against the Chiefs, I start at 2B and go 2 for 4 with an RBI. We shut them out for the second straight game, and win it 2-0!

After the game the coach calls me in over and pats me on the back telling me that I've been doing a great job since getting called up. Later that evening he calls me on my cell, and tells me that they're bumping me into a starting spot because I've been showing so much promise. The club wants to see how well I'll do playing regularly! That was fast!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-25-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #26
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

6/16 - We travel to Syracuse to play the Chiefs in the second half of the series. In my first official game as the starting 3B they put me into the cleanup spot, and I don't dissapoint. I go 2 for 4 with a double, a stolen base, and 2 runs scored. We win 5-2 and we're on a roll. Right now I'm batting .393

6/17 - In my second game as a starter I continue the trend of seeing the ball well and getting on base often. Today I go 3 for 5 with 2 singles, a double, and 2 RBI! One of those runs batted in came in the 12th inning and eventually led to us winning 5-4! We sweep Syracuse! My average jumps to .421 and I'm playing amazing ball right now.

6/18 - Toledo is in town for a 4 game series, and my hot streak finally simmers. I go 0 for 4 with a pair of strikeouts. Despite giving up 5 runs in the 1st, we storm back late and fall just short, losing 5-6.

6/19 - In game two we go down 1-5 but storm back late again. I go 1 for 3, getting plunked early, and scoring a run late after singling on base. We win it this time, breaking the tie in the 7th, making the final 6-5

6/20 - I go 2 for 4 today, with an RBI double in the 1st, and another RBI double in the 3rd. We take a tie game into the 9th and I watch us win it with a walkoff double by Cairo. We win 5-3

6/21 - I start today off with a bang, literally, getting a hold of a hanging slider and launching it over the fence in center field for a 2 run shot, putting us up 2-1 in the 1st inning. I don't get another hit, and we lose 5-7 as our pitching fails us. We split the series 2/2

6/22 - The bus takes us to Rochester as we are set to play them in a split away/home 4 game series against the Red Wings. In game one I go 1 for 5 with a single and a strikeout. We put up 5 runs in the top of the 6th to go up 5-2, but they follow it up with 4 runs of their own in the bottom half. We lose 5-6

6/23 - Today I have my first 4 hit, 9 inning game. This was my finest day so far. I finished 4 for 6, with 2 doubles, 4 RBI, and 2 singles. We light their pitching up and win it 12-2. Needless to say I'm appointed the potg.

6/24 - We return home for the second half of the series, and I send me 4th Homerun over the fence in the 7th inning...unfortunately it's a solo shot and we were down by 5. Oh well...we lost 3-7 :-\

6/25 - I go 2 for 4 with 2 singles and a run scored today. We score 5 runs in the 8th and split yet another series, winning the finale 7-2.

6/26 - Off to Buffalo we go for a 4 game set against the Bisons. In the first game I go 1 for 5, scoring a run and grounding into a DP. we win it with some late clutch hitting, 6-4.

6/27 - I continue my hitting streak, going 1 for 4, and launching my 5th homerun over the wall in left field to tie the game up in the 4th 1-1. We eventually go to extra innings and lose it in 10, 2-3.

6/28 - The streak comes to an end at 9 consecutive games of getting a hit. I go 0 for 5, and we look ugly all over. We give up 4 in the 8th, and make a feeble attempt at a comeback in the 9th with a couple runs, but still lose 4-8.

6/29 - We split yet another series. I go 2 for 5 with a couple singles and a run scored. Our pitching is beautiful as Trujillo shuts them out, only allowing 2 hits and 1 walk while striking out 6. We win 3-0 as June winds down.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #27
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

At the end of June, my stats look like so...

24 G, 90 Ab, .356 AVG, 32 H, 15 R, 6 2B, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 4 SB, 1 BB, 15 K, .586 SLG, .389 OBP, 1.000 FLD %, .344 v RHP, .379 v LHP, .292 RISP

We are in first place by 2 games over the Red Sox and the Chiefs. Our record is 44-36, and I like our chances of making the playoffs.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

7/1 - We head to Scranton to face off against the AAA Yankees in a five game away/home split series. In game one I go 3 for 4, with a double in the first, and a run scored in the 8th to bring the game to within 1. We can't get any more runs though, and lost 3-4

7/2 - This past week has been very hit or miss for me. I go 0 for 5 today, striking out once and grounding into a DP. Oddly enough the rest of the team collects 13 hits and puts 6 runs on the board for a 6-1 victory.

7/3 - In game three I go 1 for 4, striking out twice. We get 9 hits but only 1 run, and we lose 1-5.

7/4 - Game four I go 1 for 4, grounding into two DPs, and scoring a run. We put 5 runs on the board in the 3rd, and that would be all we needed. We win 5-2

7/5 - I go 0 for 4 in the series finale, striking out once. My average is dropping significantly, but I guess I couldn't expect to hold a .350+ average for too long considering that's not my strength. We take a tie game into the 9 but give up 4 runs in the top of the inning, losing 3-7.

7/6 - Pawtucket is in town for a 4 game series. I go 0 for 4 again today...and I feel myself getting eager to get a hold of a pitch, which is making me impatient. We are down 6-4 in the 9th, but come through in the clutch with 3 runs in the bottom of the inning to win it 7-6!

7/7 - I get a pair of hits, including a double, in 5 at bats today. We score 6 runs and take a tie game into the 9th, but as usual out pen fails and we allow 2 in the top of the inning to lose 6-8.

7/8 - I go 1 for 5 today with 2 K's, and our pitching allows 14 hits. We still are leading heading into the 9th, but our pen gives up the tying run in the top of the inning, and another run in the 11th to lose 3-4.

7/9 - I go 1 for 4 today, with an RBI double in the 6th to put us ahead 3-2. We get into trouble a couples times after that, but don't allow any runs, and we win 5-2.

7/10 - Off to Buffalo we go for a quick 2 game series before the All-Star break. I go 0 for 4 with a K and I'm officially slumping. We allow 4 runs in the 7th and lose 2-4.

7/11 - We get shut out, and I go 0 for 5. My average dips below .300 for the first time since being called up to AAA. We lose 0-2.

7/15 - After some rest during the break I come back hoping to end the slump. We travel to Toledo for a 4 game series against the Mud Hens. I go 1 for 4 today, scoring a run and helping our team win 6-1.

7/16 - Today I have a strange line, going 0 for 3 but driving in two runs. Worley goes 8.2 innings and allows zero runs on 6 hits. Overholt gets his 22nd save and we win it 3-0.

7/17 - Tonight is an absolute marathon of a game. We go 18 innings, and I get to bat 8 times. I reach base safely 3 of those times, but I don't knock any runs in, nor do I score any on my own. We wind up losing 2-3

7/18 - I go 2 for 4 today, knocking one run in and scoring another of my own. We put 4 on the board in the 5th, and that's all we would need. We win 5-1 and take the series from the Hens.

The coach noticed that I've been slumping, and has bumped me to the 7th spot in the lineup because of it....dammit

7/19 - We hop on the bus and head to Indianapolis for a 4 game series. I go 2 for 3 today, as we collect 9 hits but can't seem to score any runs for 8 innings. We manage a small rally in the 9th and bring the score to within 1, but can't capitalize with a man in scoring position and lose 1-2. I do manage to get my average back up over .300 during this game.

7/20 - And...it dips below .300 again. I go 0 for 4 with a K, and we only put 2 runs on the board. Thankfully we get a strong effort from our staff, where 4 pitchers combine for a shutout, and a 2-0 win.

7/21 - I come to bat in the 4th with the bases loaded and two away, and slap a single right up the middle to drive in two runs and put us up 3-0. We allow a run in the 7th, and another in the 8th, but hold in the 9th for a 3-2 win. I go 1 for 4 but get the potg nod.

Coach thinks I've spent enough time in the 7 spot and moves me back cleanup. Excellent!

7/22 - I go 3 for 5 today and I'm starting to feel it again. We take the series from the Indians 3 games to 1, and win today 4-1.

7/23 - Back home we go to face the Columbus Clippers for 4 games. I go 0 for 4 and we only manage 3 hits. We get shutout, and lose 12-0. Ouch.

7/24 - So much for feeling it, I go 0 for 5 and though we get 10 hits, we don't score a single run until the 9th. We lose 2-4.

7/25 - I go 0 for 4 and I have yet to get a hit in the last 3 games. We win it though, 3-2 on very strong pitching by Carpenter who gets his 8th win.

7/26 - My hitless streak continues and is now at 4 games. I go 0 for 4, and we lose a 2-0 lead in the 6th, and then the tie is broken in the 7th on a solo shot by the Clips. We lose 2-3.

7/27 - I'm thankful that Columbus leaves, as I didn't get a single hit in the entire series. Norfolk is in town for 4 games now, and hopefully I can manage a hit as my average is freefalling. I do manage a hit as I drive a run in on a single to the opposite field that the 2B can't quite get to. We force extra innings, and score a run in the bottom of the 14th to win it 5-4. I went 1 for 6, but I'll take it. My average is now .275

7/28 - I go 1 for 6 again, grounding into 2 DP's, but scoring a run in the bottom of the 9th to bring the game to within 1. We score another run and force extra innings for the second straight game. We score again in the bottom of the 12th and win 9-8!

7/29 - I go 3 for 4 and finally get a multi hit game. I get on base with 2 singles and a double, but we can't capitalize on any of it. We allowed 3 in the 1st to start out down 0-3, and that's all they would need. They add a couple insurance runs later on, and win it 2-5.

7/30 - I go 1 for 4 with a single in the 9th to move a runner into scoring position, with nobody out. I watch Taylor go down swinging, and then Donald whiff at some nasty high heat to put us down to two outs with the game tied 2-2. Gutierrez comes through with a hot liner into the gap, and that's all she wrote. We win 3-2 and take the series from Norfolk.

7/31 - We hop on a bus and head to Durham to play the Bulls in a 4 game series. I go 2 for 4 today with a double, followed by a stolen base, followed by a run scored. We take a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the 9th, but our pen falters again and we lose 4-5.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

My stats at the end of July look like so...

57 G, 236 AB, .284 AVG, 67 H, 22 R, 13 2B, 6 HR, 26 RBI, 13 SB, 1 BB, 49 K, .415 SLG, .298 OBP, .952 FLD %, .267 v RHP, .328 v LHP, .194 RISP (ouch).

We are 59-49 as a team and alone in first place, just 1 game up on the Chiefs who have been on our tail the entire season. We need to get a little more consistent now if we're going to make the playoffs.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

8/1 - Game two against teh Bulls, and I manage only one hit in 5 at bats. The hit came in the 6th inning, and was a solo shot to the opposite field that just barely cleared the wall. That was my 7th HR in AAA ball. We can't get much else going though, and lose 2-6.

8/2 - Today I go 2 for 5 with a pair of singles and a run scored. Trujilla pitches a fabulous game, pitching 8 innings of shutout ball and only allowing 2 hits. We win it 6-0

8/3 - I go 1 for 4 today, striking out twice...both times at breaking balls in the dirt...ugh. 4 Pitchers combine for a 1 hit shutout and we have allowed only 3 hits in the last 18 innings. We split the series against the Bulls and enjoy our only day off in the month of August.

8/5 - The busride ends in Gwinnett, and I go 2 for 4 with a single and an RBI double in the 7th. We allow 8 runs on 16 hits though, and lose 3-8.

8/6 - I have my first hitless game in quite a while, going 0 for 4. Once again 4 pitchers combine for a 2 hit shutout for us though, and we win 1-0.

8/7 - In game three I go 2 for 5 with a hit in the 1st and an RBI single in the 7th to put us up 4-2. The Braves answer in the bottom of the inning to bring the score back to within one, but we shut them down in the 8th and 9th and win 4-3.

8/8 - Today I go 1 for 5 with a single...our staff gets lit up for 8 runs and we lose 3-8 :-\

8/9 - Back home we go, and Indianapolis is waiting to play us over the next 4 days and nights. Today I go 1 for 4, stealing one base and grounding into a DP. We get 9 hits up and down the order, but can't score a single run. We lose 0-1

8/10 - I go 3 for 5, knocking in an RBI with a double in the 1st inning to tie things up at 1-1. Oddly enough, neither team scored again the rest of the game until the 11th inning, when I was on base to witness a walk off shot by Taylor to win it! 4-1

8/11 - I go 1 for 3 today, and I get beaned in the 9th when we're losing 3-8. I wave my bat around and yell obsceneties at the opposing pitcher, but he doesn't respond with anything but a sorry so I take my base.

8/12 - I go 2 for 5 today, with an RBI single in the 1st, an RBI double in the 3rd, and a run scored later that same inning. We light up the board with 14 runs on 17 hits, and win it 14-3 to split the series.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-26-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

8/13 - Back home to play the Red Sox for 4 games. I get good wood on the ball all game long, but I have terrible luck during each at bat. I go 0 for 6 on the night, as we score once in both the 8th and 9th to force extra innings, but lose in the 13th 2-3.

8/14 - Today I get good wood on the ball again, but this time I'm able to find the gap. I go 2 for 5 with a single, and with the bases loaded in the 5th I double to left and bring them all home. I finish with 3 RBI and a run scored. We win 12-1

8/15 - I go 2 for 5 again tonight with a single and an RBI double. I also get plunked in the top of the 9th in a tie game, but I watch as both Donald and Gutierrez go down swinging. We force extra, and lose in 12. 6-7

8/16 - I go 0 for 4 today, grouding out 3 times and flying out to the warning track once. We only manage two runs today, but three pitchers hold them to one run on six hits, and we win 2-1 to split the series.

8/17 - Our division rivals, the Chiefs, are in town for a split home/away 4 game series. In the first game I go 0 for 5, but I sacrafice in the go ahead run in the top of the 10th, putting us up 9-8. We shut them down in the bottom of the 10th and win it!

8/18 - I go 1 for 4 today with a single, stolen base, and a run scored. I have trouble seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand the rest of the time though, and strike out in my other 3 at bats. We win 4-2 behind strong pitching and timely hitting!

8/19 - We head to their turf and the tides promptly change. I go 0 for 3 with a walk. We only ge 4 hits and lose 1-4.

8/20 - Game 4 in Syracuse is a strong one for us. We score 7 in the 6th, and I help out greatly with a 3 run linedrive homer to left field. I finish the day 2 for 5 with 3 RBI, and we win 8-2 to split the series. I was really hoping to add some distance between us as them in this one...oh well.

8/21 - Well back home to fave the Gwinnett braves for 4. I go 1 for 3 with an RBI double in the 4th to put us up 1-0. We give up two in the 7th, but then score 2 in the bottom of the 9th to win it 3-2!

8/22 - We take this game too, lighting up the board with 9 runs on 15 hits. Unfortunately not a single one of those was mine, as I go 0 for 5. I'll take the win though. 9-4 final

8/23 - Today I go 2 for 4 with a single in the 1st and a solo shot in the 8th, but it's too late becaues by then all I did was make it a 6 run deficit, as apposed to a 7 run deficit. We lose 4-10

8/24 - I go 1 for 4 today with a single and I also reach base on an error. I steal a couple bases and wind up coming around to score twice. We are down 0-3 going into the 7th, but wind up scoring 5 times in the last 3 innings to win 5-3!

8/25 - Now we head to Rochester for a very quick 2 game serie against the Red Wings. In game one I go 0 for 4, and the rest of the team doesn't fare much better. We get lit up, allow 17 hits, and lose 2-8.

8/26 - In game two I go 1 for 4 with an RBI single in the first to put us up 2-0. We keep it going the rest of the game too, and win 6-1 to split the short series. My average has dropped amazingly low considering where it was earlier this year, down to .271

8/27 - Now it's time to head back home to play scranton in a 3 game series. In game one I go 2 for 4, and I really get a hold of one in the 3rd inning, blasting it 411 feet over the left centerfield wall, and that put us up 2-0. That was my 9th HR in AAA. We add another two and win 4-2.

8/28 - Game two I go 2 for 4 again, with a sacrafice fly in the 1st to put us up early. Unfortunately our bullpen falls apart and allows 7 runs in the last 3 innings, and we lose 2-7.

8/29 - I go 2 for 4 today, with two doubles, each of which knock in 2 runs. I also scored a run of my own, and lately I've been an absolute RBI machine. We're up 7-0 after two, and cruise to a 8-4 victory to take the series.

8/30 - The Red Wings are in town for yet another short 2 game series. In game one I go 1 for 3 with a single and a run scored. They score 4 in the 4th, and 3 in the 5th to take a 7-5 lead. That would be the final score as they take game one.

8/31 - I go 2 for 3 today, scoring a run in the 2nd. 4 pitchers combine for a shutout, and out bullpen goes 2.2 innings without allowing a single baserunner. We win 2-0

Things are coming down to the wire now. There are 6 games left and we are up in the division by 1 game over the Chiefs. Every single at bat is crucial now.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #32
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

9/1 - We travel to scranton for a 2 game series against the AAA Yankees. This was a marathon game. I get 7 at bats...7 chances to make a major difference in our season, and SOB I can't get a single hit...I can't even get on base. We take the game all the way to the 15th inning and lose 2-3.

9/2 - I go 1 for 4 today, and this is the wrong time to get into a funk. We get blown up by their offense, and they sweep us. 2-10

9/3 - We finish up the season with a 4 game series against the Bisons in Buffalo. In game one I go 2 for 4, and I plant my 10th homerun of the season into the left field stands in the 6th inning. We score another 3 runs in the inning and keep it going through the rest of the game. We win 7-2

9/4 - I go 3 for 5 today, and I'm really lighting things up. I have an RBI single in the 1st, and an RBI double in the 5th, plus a run scored later that same inning. We put 9 on the board, and win it 9-5.

We are now 1 game up on the Chiefs with two games to go. The last two games broke the tie...we just need to keep this going.

9/5 - Today I go 1 for 3, and we get 8 hits, but we can't manage more than 1 run. Our staff gets lit up, and we lose 1-7...damn...

The Chiefs won today, and we are now tied in first place in the division with 1 game to go.

9/6 - HUGE game for us. I have several opportunities with less than 2 outs and men on scoring position, and every single one of them (with the exception of one) results in a fly ball that dies at the warning track. I go 1 for 5 with an RBI single in the 3rd to make it a 1-2 game, but we never lead despite 11 hits, compared to their 9. They win 3-4.

The Chiefs win too...and we pry defeat and a division champioship away from victory
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

My final stats for the year look like so.

AA - 51 G, 177 AB, .294 AVG, 52 H, 14 R, 7 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 24 RBI, 12 SB, 0 BB, .458 SLG, .296 OBP, .963 FLD, .248 v RHP, .393 v LHP, .271 RISP
AAA - 88 G, 370 AB, .286 AVG, 106 H, 38 R, 22 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 52 RBI, 26 SB, 3 BB, .427 SLG, .306 OBP, .944 FLD, .284 v RHP, .295 v LHP, .262 RISP

We finish the year 78-76 and 1 game back of the Chiefs
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Las Vegas 51's would take home the AAA championship. The Chiefs lost in the semi's.

In the show, the brackets looked like so.

CLE
TB

BOS
LAA

CHC
PHI (woohoo!)

NYM
LAD

----

The Indians and Sox went to the ALCS, where the Sox swept them in 4.
The Cubs and Mets went to the NLCS, where the cubbies won in 6.

That set up the world series that everybody wanted to see, the Red Sox and the Cubs. Would the Sox fail again like last year after going all the way? Would the Cubs finally win a world series, ending the curse?

Nope. The Sox win in 5. Dustin Pedroia had a rediculous WS, hitting .444 with 3 home runs, 7 RBI's, and a stolen base. He of course won the WS MVP.

Other award winners are...

NL
MVP - Manny Ramirez ~ .358 / 52 HR / 135 RBI
Cy Young - Carlos Zambrano ~ 2.52 / 18-6 / 167 K / 1.17 WHIP
ROY - Gordon Beckham ~ .300 / 14 HR / 60 RBI

AL
MVP - Josh Hamilton ~ .306 / 50 HR / 133 RBI
Cy Young - Cliff Lee ~ 2.47 / 22-4 / 154 K / 1.16 WHIP
ROY - Matt Wieters ~ .299 / 18 HR / 82 RBI
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

As the season ends, we have some notable retirees...

Notable Retirees
Melvin Mora
Troy Percival
Jim Thome
Magglio Ordonez
Mike Aviles (injury)
Luis Gonzalez
Kevin Millwood
Omar Vizquel
Garret Anderson
Jain Jurrjens (injury)
Moises Alou
Jason Kendall
LatRoy Hawkins
Craig Counsell
Edgar Renteria

FA Signings...

John Smoltz has decided to stick around another year and has signed on with the Pirates for 1 year at 11m.

Jonathan Sanchez signed with the Pirates as well for 3 years at 14m

Ty Wigginton signed with the Indians for 3 years at 20m

Nick Blackburn signed with the Indians also for 4 years at 14m

Ryan church signed with the Astros for 4 years at 12m

Almost every single big name who was in their contract year resigned with the same team...very little as far as movers and shakers this offseason.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #36
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This year I'm turning 20...and i'm really hoping for a september call-up. I'd just like a taste of what the big league pitching is like. I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on AAA pitchers, and they throw enough mistakes for me to hit around .300 with a respectable amount of jacks and ribbies.

As spring comes around, I'm informed that I wont be invited to Spring Training...which I guess it to be expected. What wasn't expected was that I was going to start the year only doing spot starts...wtf?