Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

YAPD: Yet Another Poker Dynasty

No spoilers, sorry. But MJ4H's latest poker run got legit attention for the poker too, even with a lot of non holdem play in there. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of poker dynasties I've posted in the past, and tend to make a lot more posts on the lines of "played 150 hands today, won $75, here's a gratuitious hand history where I won a big pot with Aces" in a dynasty that I feel are pretty boring in a blog, so dynasty it is.

A Little History...

I'd posted a couple years ago now that I was leaving my full time job to move back home and help out my ailing parents. I also hoped to play a ton of poker and see if I could build up to the point of covering my meager expenses. That never happened, not even close. But it never mattered, the contract job that I took that I expected to last 2-3 months tops has lasted 20 months to date and they are bringing me down to the office next month on their dime to bring me in on some more work, so things look to be continuing indefinitely on that front.

As a result, I hardly played any last year after a month or two, and poker is for fun at this point. My online bankroll is pretty much what it was two years ago, and I'm still looking to work my way up through the ranks and become a winner at stakes big enough to matter. The post-UIGEA world is a harsh one.

With some of that out of the way, on to the poker.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

Pot Limit Omaha

So the game for the bulk of the posts here is likely to be pot limit omaha. I like the 8-game rotation on stars/7-game rotation on Full Tilt, but PLO is my main focus. .1/.25 PLO, with a $25 max buyin for now.

A buddy of mine who plays professionally in Vegas has done some coaching sessions with me, and I'm working on opening up my game and deviating from the standard TAG play that 2+2 would generally advocate. I've always admired the players that can pull off a LAG style(TAG = Tight Aggressive/LAG = Loose Aggressive), and its a lot more profitable when done well. Its also a lot more fun.

Its not without a learning curve though, at least for me. My first 1000 hands I managed to throw away about $400, a ridiculous amount for a $25 buyin game. This was just after some discussions with my PLO buddy. After that we played a couple sessions where he watched and coached me, with a lot more knowledge transferred and a lot more understanding on my part. But still, things were rocky, and 5700 hands in I was down $700. I was running about $250 below expectation, but still, losing badly.

I still dunno if I just started running hot, or if something clicked, but after nearly busting out of Full Tilt, things turned around, and fast. Just 3000 hands later, I'm a breakeven PLO player(meaning I won $700, or 23 buyins, in that stretch).

I continued running good and was up at much as $250 at one point, and considering some shots at the $50 buyin game. That came crashing down quickly with another big downswing. Another coaching session as I feared I had fundamentally broken something about my play, and after 12,000 hands, I sit at exactly breakeven(well, up $2.35).

I have $890 in my Full Tilt account. At $1250 I intend to take some shots at the next level. I only play on full tilt b/c of rakeback. With my current play I'm getting between $25-$40 a week in rakeback to help me along.

I'm single-tabling. I'm playing over 40% of my hands, attempting to play the player, to keep a good eye on the flow of the game, and to make a lot of read-based plays. I don't know if or when I would consider adding a second table.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Sat, 7/25 - Morning Session

I had to wait for a good note to start on here, I've been thinking about starting this up for days but wasn't going to on a bad note

Hands: 207
Result: UP $104.33

Play Stats:

44.8% VP$P/23.2% PFR/AGG Factor 2.83

Position is key in PLO. Possibly twice as important in PLO as it is in NLHE. So many monster hands and draws can be flopped, its just impossible to play without the nuts out of position. And that's a major, major key to this LAGgy style of play:

Position: VP$P/PFR
UTG: 13/13
MP: 31/28
CO: 56/32
BTN: 56/46
SB: 47/10
BB: 48/3

This normalizes out a lot more overall. I play a lot of mutli-way pots out of the blinds looking for spots to flop big or pick up pots no one wants, but I end up being quite a bit more straightforward out of position and I'm risking far less in those spots despite seeing a lot of flops.

Today the guy to my let was fairly tight, so I pretty much treated the CO as if it were my button anyway. Over a larger sample size I'm playing about 10% of my hands UTG at a full table, 20% in middle position, 35-40% in the cutoff, and 60-70% on the button.

Biggest Pot Won

A gift, really. We were both deep and I obviously had visions of 34 on the turn but I wasn't about to find a fold with all the draws available. I'd like to think this is what my play buys me. I play a lot of hands, show down a number of bluffs and my opponent doesn't trust that I've got it and thinks I'm just trying to bully him yet again.

$0.1/$0.25 Pot Limit Omaha Hi
4 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
CO ($85.85)
Hero (BTN) ($56.49)
SB ($27.76)
BB ($25.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 4 players) Hero is BTN

CO calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.10, 1 fold, BB calls $0.85, CO calls $0.85

Flop: ($3.40, 3 players)
BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $3, BB folds, CO calls $3

Turn: ($9.40, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $6, CO raises to $27.40, Hero goes all-in $52.39, CO calls $24.99

River: ($114.18, 2 players)

Final Pot: $114.18
CO shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $112.18 ( won +$55.69 )
BB lost -$1.10
CO lost -$56.49

biggest pot lost

This is pretty horrible. I know my opponent has a flush and I sucker myself along hoping the board will pair. After I call the big raise on the flop I convince myself the pot is big enough to call off the rest on the turn. Pretty bleh. And you'll see me doing some dumb shit. I've got 12,000 hands under my belt is all. You're going to see my bluff off stacks in ways that can't possibly succeed, and just do some completely unreasonable things that I convince myself makes sense at the time trying to play so many pots.

5 players

Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($25.38)
CO ($15.64)
BTN ($27.09)
SB ($20.50)
BB ($57.56)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 5 players) Hero is UTG

Hero raises to $0.85, CO calls $0.85, 2 folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.65, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.75, CO calls $1.75, BB raises to $9.65, Hero calls $7.90, CO folds

Turn: ($23.70, 2 players)
BB bets $23.70, Hero goes all-in $14.88

River: ($62.28, 2 players)

Final Pot: $53.46
BB shows:
Hero shows:

BB wins $59.61 ( won +$25.41 )
Hero lost -$25.38
CO lost -$2.60

Bluff gone right

This one is pretty standard IMO. Maybe I could have gone for a free card on the turn, and its tempting to assume you're getting called and puss out on the river. But this is how I'm playing top set, so this is how I'm playing here too. No need to bet the pot on the river, I was trying to bet an amount that looked like I was trying to get as much value as I could, without betting so little that he'd be tempted to look me up w/ AJ or something.

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($29.82)
UTG+1 ($25.00)
Hero (CO) ($138.51)
BTN ($13.41)
SB ($25.00)
BB ($25.15)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is CO

2 folds, Hero raises to $0.85, 2 folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.80, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.25, BB calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.30, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $4, BB calls $4

River: ($12.30, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $7.50, BB folds

Final Pot: $12.30

Hero wins $19.19 ( won +$5.59 )
BB lost -$6.10

I don't really have any spots this session where I fired on multiple streets and got called down lightly when I had air. But don't worry, those spots happen all the time, there are lots and lots of examples of it coming.

Current Bankroll: $890 (on full tilt, I have $300 on stars and recently cashed $1000 out of stars and never decided if I was going to deposit it on FTP or just keep it as profit... but anyway, what I have on full tilt is all I'm counting). At $1250 I'm going to take a 5 buyin shot at $50 PL, so that's the current goal.

This'll evolve I'm sure, I have a feeling this post is ginormous.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hooray!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

7/25 - Afternoon Session

Hands: 197
Result: DOWN 60.67

Edited in other stats:

46.4 VP$P/24.5 PFR, Went To Showdown 29%, Won at Showdown 40%. Money won Without showdown $27.72.

Odd how you can win 1 1/2 buyins on the day and feel annoyed as hell about it. Early on in this session I got up a very quick 3 buyins. I was all in with the nut straight on the turn against a set, if i win that pot my bankroll hits 1k and I'm on my way to a massively huge day(well, lets assume that right? ) The board pairs on the river, and in the next 30 hands I get it all in 4 more, once a 65/35 favorite, flipping once, 40/60 once, and once in bad shape with less than a 30% shot to win, losing all four, and the session takes a huge turn for the worse.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($25.58)
UTG+1 ($32.89)
CO ($31.36)
Hero (BTN) ($34.04)
SB ($26.77)
BB ($44.14)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is BTN

UTG raises to $0.85, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.85, SB calls $0.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.80, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $2.50, SB raises to $10.30, UTG folds, Hero goes all-in $33.19, SB goes all-in $15.62

Turn: ($61.91, 2 players)

River: ($61.91, 2 players)

Final Pot: $54.64
Hero shows:
SB shows:

Hero wins $59.18 ( won +$25.14 )
UTG lost -$0.85
SB lost -$26.77

I should point out in this one that I'm actually a 59/41 favorite. Once the preflop raiser checks, I want to take control of this hand. I'm even a 52/48 favorite over top set. Its actually better draws i'm afraid of. A spade draw would *really* hurt my hand. I'm a 42/58 dog to an overpair + flushdraw (say AA33 with A3s). Balance in the possibility that he crushes me with a dominating straight draw vs the possibility that he has nothing and just thinks I'm trying to steal in position, and I was reasonably comfortable pushing over the flop check-raise.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($25.00)
UTG+1 ($29.92)
CO ($37.06)
Hero (BTN) ($53.73)
SB ($26.67)
BB ($42.87)

2 folds, CO calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.10, 1 fold, BB calls $0.85, CO calls $0.85

Flop: ($3.40, 3 players)
BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB calls $2.50, CO raises to $5, Hero calls $2.50, BB calls $2.50

Turn: ($18.40, 3 players)
BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($18.40, 3 players)
BB bets $10, CO folds, Hero goes all-in $47.63, BB goes all-in $26.77

Final Pot: $91.94
Hero shows:
BB shows:

Hero wins $10.86 ( lost -$42.87 )
BB wins $88.94 ( won +$46.07 )
CO lost -$6.10

This was a crushing loss against another deep stack. It honestly never dawned on me that this guy would play top set so passively even on a scary board. But even if it did, at this limit, I expect any other boat to pay me off except perhaps 5s full. But K9, T9, and 95 is not getting folded at this level very often at all. I should have at least given pause and considered a flat call, I pretty much fist-pump shoved this one without even thinking about it, which is rarely a safe bet with only the 3rd nuts.

Bluff Gone Right

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($12.78)
UTG+1 ($25.00)
CO ($41.46)
BTN ($46.51)
SB ($25.00)
Hero (BB) ($61.31)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is BB

2 folds, CO raises to $0.85, BTN calls $0.85, SB calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($3.40, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $1, 1 fold, SB folds, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($5.40, 2 players)
Hero bets $4, CO calls $4

River: ($13.40, 2 players)
Hero bets $10, CO folds

Final Pot: $13.40

Hero wins $22.73 ( won +$6.88 )
CO lost -$5.85
BTN lost -$0.85
SB lost -$0.85

I'm pretty pleased with this one. I defend with a super marginal hand, which I'll do fairly often if its going to be 4 ways, and I'll have relative position on the aggressor(ie. I'll act last after the guy that raised preflop so I can't get stuck between the PF raiser and one of the other players). On the flop I would have folded to a stronger bet. The $1 continuation bet into a $3.40 pot was very fishy. Once it folded back to me I decided I would call and lead all turns.

There is likely no river card that would have prevented me from firing again, and I pick up a decent pot.

Poor Small Pot Hand

I can't really call this a bluff because I had a showdown worthy hand, but I'm not pleased with this at all.

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($44.14)
UTG+1 ($25.58)
CO ($32.89)
BTN ($25.00)
Hero (SB) ($40.84)
BB ($27.02)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is SB

3 folds, BTN raises to $0.85, Hero calls $0.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.95, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $1.95, Hero calls $1.95

Turn: ($5.85, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($5.85, 2 players)
Hero bets $4, BTN calls $4

Final Pot: $13.85
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

BTN wins $13.16 ( won +$6.36 )
Hero lost -$6.80

My opponent in this hand is pretty damn tight, something like 18/10 preflop. Big pairs are such a huge part of their range that I like defending a lot and like trying to maneuver to showdown with most two pair hands if its possible.

Here I decide to check/call the flop and lead any non-spade turns. I feel like I should have c/r this flop. I ought to be thrilled to stack off vs a flush draw with two pair on a board like this. QQ is unlikely since I have a queen, 55 doesn't seem a big part of a tight raiser's range, and there aren't a lot of reasonable straight draws here outside of like A543 or something.

But anyway, I call and plan on leading the turn, but then the turn is an ace, and as I've said I feel like his raising range is pretty heavily weighted towards big cards, so now I'm afraid he's very likely to call my turn bet and I'm going to be OOP in a pot that's getting too big on the river with a weak two pair.

Then a 5 hits on the river, and even my two pair is counterfeited, and i shrug and bet. But I shouldn't. I don't think an ace is going to fold the way I've played the hand, I can't really rep anything but "random 5" but the way the hand played out I think I'm getting called by most hands that beat me except perhaps KK. Just no continuity in my play here.

So I ended up all in 12 times before the river in 197 hands... actually I was all in 12 times in my first 130 hands, I was chatting w/ a poker buddy at the time and commented on how often I'd been stacking off this session. I won 6, lost 6. The hands I won I was at worst 47/53 when the money went in. I lost a $60 pot as an 80/20 favorite, and a $22 pot as a 65/35 favorite. Add in the cooler with tens full and I end up highly annoyed at the end of this session despite still being up nicely on the day.

Alas!

Full Tilt Bankroll: $830

Last edited by Radii : 07-25-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

I edited in some stats above. In this session I won $27.72 without showdown. This is a pretty big point, it's the "red line" in EV graphs. Playing the way I'm playing I want to be picking up a lot of non-showdown pots, constantly pressuring people, and constantly picking up limped pots on the flop, pots on the turn when everyone checks the flop around, etc.

But I don't always do this well. Sometimes I end up getting called down light a lot and just losing a ton at showdown(not like this last session, that was just a lot of big all in confrontations). But in that bluff hand above I posted, flop 942, turn T, river 6, I lead the turn and river with a pair of fives. There are days where I get called there by as little as JJxx for an overpair to the board.

My buddy/informal coach who has been kindly helping me through this experience says "I like to use my non-showdown winnings to fund my adventures at showdown." The point there being there's a lot of wild play involved with this style and there are going to be some big pots lost on occasion with 7 high, etc. But the combination of winning a lot of non-showdown money, plus the image you get from showing those hands down, should make it all worth it in the end.

I don't quite have that down yet. Or, its just not possible to consistently get it to work that way at $25 PL because you do get looked up light too often. Or a combination of both, I definitely don't have it down entirely yet

Anyway, picking up $27 in non-showdown money in my last session is an outstanding result. When I wanted a small pot I generally got it. It doesn't always work that way and I get in long stretches where my non-showdown money slowly glides downward. So I keep an eye on that to keep up a feel for how aggressively I'm playing and how well I'm picking my spots to go after people when I don't really have anything, and that non-showdown winnings number may get an inordinate amount of focus here.

Last edited by Radii : 07-25-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

7/26 - Morning Session

Played a shorter session this morning, feeling good but I started surfing 2+2 and my mind was wandering, and the table tightened up a good deal after one guy left, so I decided to call it and go do something else.

HANDS: 110
RESULT: UP $73.17

I should note, when full these tables generally average 60-70 hands/hr. 110 hands was in 98 minutes of play according to HEM(Holdem Manager, the tracking software I use).

STATS: 37.3% VP$P/17.3% PFR/2.07 AF
Won Without Showdown: $19.76 <-- Another very solid amount.

Stats Note: I moved tables a couple times today(I table select pretty hard, 1-tabling there's little excuse not to be at the single best table available at my limit on the site really). But, the table I spent most of my time at, the dude to my right was running 100/75, playing every single hand, raising preflop 3/4 of the time. Directly across from him was a guy playing about 80/20, and 3-betting with enough frequency that I was concerned about it with marginal hands. So at this table I wasn't trying to LAG it up or be the table captain. I was trying to catch a good flop in a big pot and get my money in good and was happy to let these other guys drive the action.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($24.75)
UTG+1 ($21.52)
CO ($31.67)
BTN ($25.00)
Hero (SB) ($69.38)
BB ($32.29)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is SB

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 1 fold, BTN raises to $1.10, Hero calls $1, BB calls $0.85, UTG+1 calls $0.85

Flop: ($4.40, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, BTN bets $4.40, Hero raises to $17.60, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, BTN goes all-in $23.90, Hero calls $6.30

Turn: ($52.20, 2 players)

River: ($52.20, 2 players)

Final Pot: $52.20
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

Hero wins $49.59 ( won +$24.59 )
BB lost -$1.10
UTG+1 lost -$1.10
BTN lost -$25

The only way this flop could be better is if it was rainbow, but I'm obviously getting it in with the nuts and the 8 giving me a redraw to a higher straight. Pretty standard really.

The button's play is more interesting than my own, and I dunno really how I would play it in his shoes. I certainly never expect to win the pot outright on the flop on this board. And I'm pretty tempted to shove it in over the check-raise if I think there's any chance that the c/r is an overpair and heart draw. Though a better play if that's part of the c/r range may be to call and shove any non-heart turn. If you call and a heart drops on the turn your set is basically garbage. I dunno, its tough. *usually* that c/r is a straight from all but the most insane players at this limit, but I can't honestly say I just find an outright fold here against anyone but the tightest of players at this level.

There is no biggest pot lost worth speaking of. I flopped trip jacks with QJ86 on a JJ2 board against a guy with $7.50. He had AJ82. I didn't hit and his boat won.

Bluff gone right

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($23.29)
UTG+1 ($29.92)
CO ($120.36)
Hero (BTN) ($24.90)
SB ($40.57)
BB ($76.33)

UTG calls $0.25, 1 fold, CO raises to $1.10, Hero calls $1.10, SB calls $1, BB calls $0.85, UTG calls $0.85

Flop: ($5.50, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($5.50, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets $4.50, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds

Final Pot: $5.50

Hero wins $9.73 ( won +$4.13 )
SB lost -$1.10
BB lost -$1.10
UTG lost -$1.10
CO lost -$1.10

This is pretty boring IMO, but its a good fundamental example of where thet non-showdown money is coming from. Since I have the button I'm betting every single turn, even though many(diamonds/broadway cards that complete broadway gutshots) are pretty scary. If it checks to me twice I'm firing into 4 people most every time.

Interesting/Weakly played hand

I'm just running good right now as far as picking up pots, 3 days ago I could show you 5 pots out of every 100 hands where I fired the turn and river and either found the nuts, or found someone willing to call incredibly light. So instead of a bluff we get a hand that I struggled with, and one that does a good job showing why being out of position sucks so terribly bad in PLO.

5 players

Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($61.37)
CO ($39.14)
BTN ($21.77)
SB ($32.77)
BB ($25.00)

Hero raises to $0.85, CO calls $0.85, 1 fold, SB calls $0.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.80, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.75, CO calls $1.75, SB folds

Turn: ($6.30, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $4.25, Hero calls $4.25

River: ($14.80, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Final Pot: $14.80
Hero shows:
CO shows:

Hero wins $14.06 ( won +$7.21 )
CO lost -$6.85
SB lost -$0.85

My opponent here runs 20/13 over 155 hands. He's up about $10. I don't remember any big hands with him myself and have no notes on him. He's basically a player I ignore in these games, he's not going to be in many of the hands I'm in. I'll bet at him relentlessly most of the time b/c I can so easily fold to a raise.

Preflop: strong hand in the CO, super easy open.

Flop: Easy c-bet. Now the tight player calls in position on me. He could have a flush draw, a set, a straight, or he could just be outright floating me in position. I'm a favorite over a bare J9 on the flop with a fairly monster draw, gutshot to the nuts, flush draw, and top two pair.

Turn: Pretty bad turn for me. So many more 9x straights just got there. I'm now a 2:1 dog against a made straight. I still beat a ton of hands of course, but I'm out of position and would really struggle to stand up against a raise if I bet again. I decide to check/call. I'm fairly unsure about this decision. I would often attempt a c/r here with a straight myself after getting floated. So my check isn't 100% weakness.

River: In the end I decide to c/c. Again I dunno. but if I put out a $5 "pay me off with a straight" bet and i get pot-raised, I'm really going to feel sick about paying off with a queen high flush. Nut flushes show up all the time in PLO. So I check, and my opponent checks, and I see that he was just basically floating me with a pair/backdoor flushdraw and non nut gutshot.

I probably made as much as I could have against that specific hand. And perhaps I played this a bit weakly. I was actually surprised to see I was a favorite over a bare straight on the flop when I ran the numbers later on. My hand is huge, but against a tight player who I don't expect to pay off light, out of position, I find it incredibly hard to maximize value.

So yeah, being out of position in Pot Limit Omaha fucking sucks.

Bankroll: $903
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

After re-reading my above post, in that last hand where I made a queen high flush, not betting that river is criminal. the only excuse I have is that I'm not sure I'm good enough to not pay off a raise, so I save myself that risk. That's a pretty shitty excuse

7/26 - Afternoon Session

HANDS: 194
RESULT: UP $51.88

STATS: 44.7% VP$P/29.5$ PFR/3.41 AF.

Won Without Showdown: $22.99 <-- this continues to be staggeringly good.

Insane session. In my 2nd orbit I get all in as a 78/22 favorite on the turn against a crazy person and double up quickly. The next orbit I get all in with aces preflop and find a guy who was willing to go all in with kings... KK87 single suited, not even premium kings. He hits a king on me, I'm a 65/35 favorite when the money goes in but lose that one.. In the very next orbit I get top two pair all in vs a flush draw and gutshot on the turn, I'm a 65/35 favorite again and lose.

The luck comes back to me in spades later though. In a 3-bet pot, I decide to push with AAQx on a QTT flop and find AKJT and I'm crushed in every way imaginable. I river a queen and win as a 11/89 dog. Oh yeah, and this:

Biggest Hand Won:

5 players

Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($32.70)
CO ($49.75)
BTN ($34.89)
SB ($10.75)
BB ($47.91)

Hero raises to $0.85, 3 folds, BB calls $0.60

BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BB raises to $6.30, Hero calls $4.80

Turn: ($14.40, 2 players)
BB bets $14.40, Hero goes all-in $25.55, BB calls $11.15

River: ($65.50, 2 players)

Final Pot: $65.50
BB shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $62.50 ( won +$29.80 )
BB lost -$32.70

Truly embarrassing. I called the raise on the flop b/c its a very drawy board and I have no redraws. If all the money goes in I'm not likely a huge favorite and possibly getting freerolled by J8 with a flush draw or QJ8 or even KJ8 for better straight outs. So I call the flop check-raise and plan on getting it in if i still have the nuts on the turn. I misread the turn. I was so intent on dodging hearts that it didn't dawn on me that a higher straight just completed until I instashoved over his bet. And I hit my 2 outer on the river to win, so hooray for that.

Pretty embarrassing, I don't think I've done something like that in the 13k hands that I've played of PLO so far. Nice to get some relief from the deck.

My biggest pot lost was one of the suckouts I referenced above, standard.

Bluff Gone Wrong

Finally a spot where I made a bit of a move on a guy and it didn't work out.

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($25.86)
UTG+1 ($73.47)
Hero (CO) ($41.98)
BTN ($48.11)
SB ($12.25)
BB ($25.35)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is CO

UTG raises to $0.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.60, 3 players)
UTG bets $2, Hero calls $2, BTN raises to $6.25, UTG folds, Hero calls $4.25

Turn: ($17.10, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($17.10, 2 players)
Hero bets $10, BTN calls $10

Final Pot: $37.10
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

BTN wins $35.25 ( won +$18.25 )
Hero lost -$17
UTG lost -$2.75

Lots of history here for this to make any sense at all.

Flop: The preflop raiser has been c-betting and giving up a lot. If he doesn't have at least an ace, and if the button will go away, I've got a pair, can catch a number of nice turn cards that would allow me to continue against a legit hand, and have a fair chance of using my position to win the pot anyway.

The button doesn't cooperate though, and my thought process really broke down a little here. The button wasn't being cooperative at all. This was the 3rd time he'd made a raise like this, making what looks like a squeeze play over a c-bet and a float. If I'd been thinking about that like I should maybe I decide against floating the flop with someone still left to act and stay out of trouble

So when the button raises and the c-bettor folds, I decide to call him out on his frequent raising in these situations. I call and intend to put him to the test if I hit a favorable turn card(favorable meaning KQJT5 or spade here). The turn doesn't help me at all, and I don't think its reasonable to rep 78 here for the straight and lead out(if i had a big enough wrap on a rainbow board... 6789 or something like that, I'm getting it in on the flop, 78 doesn't seem reasonable for me to have here imo).

so anyway, I decide to check-fold the turn,but he doesn't bet. the river is where I'm unhappy with my play. If he was spazzing out with his flop raise like I thought, now I've got a great bluff catch hand in two pair. My bet on the river basically is trying to say "I have a monster and missed a turn check/raise" ... or "I have nothing please please fold." So I think I like check/calling the river based on my read that I think the guy is full of shit for raising so many flops.

So he calls and I lose a good deal in a hand where I think I had some smart ideas but poor execution.

Outside of a couple hands, and obviously a very embarrassing mis-reading the board, I felt like I was on my A-game most of this session. After losing two all in's in a row early on and getting down $25, I fought back to even without a single showdown. Everything was working perfectly and all my opponents were doing exactly what I wanted them to most of the time. That's a nice feeling, even over short stretches.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $955
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

7/27 - Afternoon Session

I played 1/2 7-game today instead of $25 PLO. A good friend of mine who is a 7 stud specialist was playing some 7-game and we decided to play together for awhile. I consider myself an average 7 stud and above average stud/8 player so I like to play mixed games with him and ask him stud questions while he'll talk holdem and omaha with me.

I don't have a tracker for all of this(I don't own PT Stud) so I don't have a hand count, I played for almost exactly 3 hours.

RESULT: UP $148

I basically destroyed the PLO rounds. For those unaware, 1/2 7-game on full tilt is HEROS (that's HORSE but with the games in a different order, dunno why, it seems popular on tilt though), played $1/$2 limit, followed by .25/.50 NLHE and .25/.50 PLO. Max buyin of $50, 100 bets for the big bet games.

On Full Tilt there are 10 hands dealt per round before switching to the next game. They have 6 handed and 8 handed tables. This was at a 6 handed table.

The second PLO orbit, I won 8 of the 10 hands, I hit a couple nice flops, won a giant all in, but also just ran over the table completely. I had $50 going into that round, had $190 when it was over, and the rest of the time just hovered between $175 and $210.

Biggest Pot Won

$0.25/$0.5 Pot Limit Omaha Hi
6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($25.75)
UTG+1 ($55.00)
Hero (CO) ($49.10)
BTN ($80.20)
SB ($53.25)
BB ($41.55)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is CO

UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 raises to $2.25, Hero calls $2.25, BTN calls $2.25, 1 fold, BB calls $1.75, UTG calls $1.75

Flop: ($11.50, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $11.50, 1 fold, BB calls $11.50, UTG goes all-in $23.50, UTG+1 folds, Hero goes all-in $46.85, BB goes all-in $27.80

Turn: ($121.15, 3 players)

River: ($121.15, 3 players)

Final Pot: $113.60
BB shows:
UTG shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $120.15 ( won +$71.05 )
BTN lost -$2.25
BB lost -$41.55
UTG lost -$25.75
UTG+1 lost -$2.25

Aside from the highly questionable decision to cold call with JJ42 preflop, standard. The big blind has a gutshot to the nuts and the nut flush draw. UTG has middle set. My top set holds up and I drag a massive pot.

Without importing this I can't really find anything else interesting. Though really, that pot took me most of the way up to where I ended up, and after that there wasn't a whole lot interesting I don't think. The overall 7-game play seems very weak, it did on stars too, I played 8-game there for awhile and really enjoyed it. I feel like I have a strong edge in PLO, stud/8 and limit holdem, can hold my own in O8 and Stud Hi. I am a terrible NLHE player, easily my worst game out of them all.

Anyway, next time I play 7-game I'll try to mark hands to look for later to write up.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $1103
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

7/28 - Morning Session

quick writeup, I'm in a fair amount of disbelief of what just happened heh. I hate bad beat stories, but I'm gonna bitch a little here, so if you too hate bad beat stories(and you should), skip this post(you should).

HANDS: 137

RESULT: DOWN $183

The biggest pot I won netted me $8 profit.

There was a player at the table 3-betting a couple times an orbit, going all in pretty frequently, playing 90% of his hands, raising 40% of them. Running bad against someone like that will kill you.

Two bad beat whines:

I raise AJ87 double suited in position, he 3-bets me, I call. Flop J73, two spades, I don't have spades. He leads into me and instacalls my all in. He has KQ92, 92 spades. No pair, 9 high flush draw. Turn 9, river queen, he runner's a higher two pair. The next hand he gets all in preflop with QQ32 against someone else and loses to AA. The hand after that he gets all in on the flop with bottom pair and a gutshot and loses.

And my last hand before I gave up and quit, I raise TT87, opponent cold calls. Flop 964, any 5, 7, 8, T gives me a straight. I get it in against him, he has 7444. Yeah. cold called a raise with trips, hit, and has his hand hold up.

I lost $125 directly to this one opponent. In 100ish hands I've lost more to him than anyone else in 13000ish hands of PLO.

Also, despite the fact that I gave him $125, when I quit, he was down 3 buyins, taking my $125 and $75 more and pouring it out to everyone else.

OW.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $919

Will get it back later.

Last edited by Radii : 07-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

7/29 - Morning Session

HANDS: 149
RESULT: UP $1.32

STATS: 49.7% VP$P, 30.6% PFR, 2.48 AF

WON WITHOUT SHOWDOWN: +$7.88 <-- a more normal result than the insane +$25 numbers in some earlier winning sessions.

This was a kinda tight table. Only a couple big pots, I made a couple missteps and had some river bluffs get called, and one guy came in for 50 hands or so who was playing 85/10 and making a lot of weird plays, calling two streets with the nuts before raising the river, min-betting 3 streets ina row in a raised pot, I had a hard time figuring him out.

Biggest Pot Won

4 players

Stacks:
CO ($46.01)
BTN ($25.00)
SB ($26.08)
Hero (BB) ($31.85)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 4 players) Hero is BB

1 fold, BTN raises to $0.85, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.65, BTN calls $1.80

Flop: ($5.40, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero raises to $17.40, BTN goes all-in $22.35, Hero calls $4.95

Turn: ($50.10, 2 players)

River: ($50.10, 2 players)

Final Pot: $50.10
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $48.10 ( won +$23.10 )
BTN lost -$25

Opponent has top two pair.
I have a straight for the win.

I almost never 3-bet, and I *really* hate 3-betting out of position. I believe that position trumps initiative in this game a large majority of the time. I hadn't 3-bet at all preflop this session until here(this was towards the end, 130ish hands in). My opponent here looks like a 4-tabling 2+2'er. So I hope he has a HUD up, and I figure my hand hits a ton of flops, and if he's paying attention he's going to assume I have AAxx, since that's the most common 3-bet hand. So I hope this play is really deceptive and plan on trying to get it in if the flop is anywhere remotely close to my hand.

The flop is a bit scary, but hell, I did connect with it, he could have anything on the button, and I did go out of my way to bloat the pot, so I decide to try for a check-raise, figuring that's the easiest way to get it all in right now and avoid tough turn cards.

Turns out, I'm only a 46/54 underdog despite how strong his hand hit the board. Any time I am 40/60 or better when I get all in, as long as I am the aggressor(and thus have fold equity), I'm a happy camper. I run good one time and win a big pot.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($25.51)
UTG+1 ($19.82)
CO ($20.13)
Hero (BTN) ($30.79)
SB ($17.73)
BB ($44.33)

UTG calls $0.25, 1 fold, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: ($1.10, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $1.10, CO raises to $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, BB folds, UTG calls $2.40

Turn: ($11.60, 3 players)
UTG bets $11.60, CO calls $11.60, Hero calls $11.60

River: ($46.40, 3 players)
UTG goes all-in $10.16, CO folds, Hero folds

Final Pot: $46.40

UTG wins $54.24 ( won +$28.73 )
BB lost -$0.25
CO lost -$15.35
Hero lost -$15.35

This looks ugly. I usually raise limpers preflop if I'm going to play. I have no good reason why I didn't here. I have a trash hand, I should try to raise and take the pot away, or fold. Preflop is ugly.

The UTG player is 20/1 preflop (VP$P/PFR). The other player is a bit of a wild card. But I have 200+ hands with UTG and my notes on him say "do not ever pay off light, ever. He is not bluffing. Ever." So I'm tempted to fold the flop, I think one, or both of them have a straight. But one of them might pay off a boat too, and backdoor diamonds are worth about 5% equity, so I talk myself into a call. I think this is a mistake. If UTG has the nut straight with any sort of redraw he's putting it all in and i'm stuck between two raisers. I hate my flop call. I feel like I should raise or fold.

On the turn... if UTG bets and the CO folds, I instafold. I'm done. But CO calls. I'm getting 3:1 on my money so I only need about 25% equity to make it worth it to call. I didn't know this at the time, BUT if all my outs are live(meaning no one else has a pair at all), I actually have 28% equity and should call. But that's the single best case scenario. If one of them has a set of 7's, my equity drops to 19%. If two pair cards are gone, I have 22% equity.

The pot will be so big that I cannot imagine *both* of the check-folding the river if I hit, so with some implied odds, I think my turn call is close.

On the river, I have to go with my read. UTG doesn't ever bluff. I'm never, ever, ever ahead here, even getting 5.6:1. Whether that's true or not we'll never know, but he's never shown down a hand to make me doubt it yet, so I don't think I'm good here even the 15% of the time I need to be to call. /shrug. I'm perfectly happy with my river fold.

If I just fold preflop I'm fine. Of course if I hit a boat and win a $60 pot, then I'm saying "well thank god I played that garbage preflop."

Bluff Gone Wrong

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($37.74)
CO ($25.00)
BTN ($25.00)
SB ($61.81)
Hero (BB) ($25.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 5 players) Hero is BB

ge5 raises to $0.85, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.60

Hero checks, ge5 checks

Turn: ($1.80, 2 players)
Hero bets $1.80, ge5 calls $1.80

River: ($5.40, 2 players)
Hero bets $5.40, ge5 calls $5.40

Final Pot: $16.20
Hero shows:
ge5 shows:

ge5 wins $15.39 ( won +$7.34 )
Hero lost -$8.05

Opponent Has a Set of Kings
I have queen high. He wins.

This is standard, for me at least. I flop a very strong draw. Any 7, T, J, or Q gives me the nuts. Wraps (hands that can make straights with numerous cards) are judged in strength two ways. One is how many outs they have to make straights. The second is how many of those outs make the nuts. I have 13 outs to a straight, which is very good in PLO, but there are 17 and 20 card straight draws as wlel that run bigger (QJ87 on a 9T board being the classic example of a monster 20 card straight draw). But, all 13 of my outs are to the nuts. With 13 nut outs on the flop this is a monster flop for me.

I intend to check-raise the flop and hope to get it all in. My opponent doesn't oblige, checking behind. Once I see that I decide to barrel the turn and river no matter what comes. I do, I miss my draw, and I see the weakest played top set in the history of poker.

After yesterday's crushing defeat, I'm pleased to play solid poker for a couple hours and maneuver well for the most part in non showdown pots, even if I didn't win a lot.

BANKROLL: $920
Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

HAH. Well this made up for yesterday, at least it comes close to it.

7/28 - Afternoon session

HANDS: 39
RESULT: UP $109.83

STATS: 51.5 VP$P/25.6 PFR/1.57 AF

WON WITHOUT SHOWDOWN: $33.09

Non Showdown Money Whee
6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($50.49)
Hero (UTG+1) ($43.58)
CO ($18.08)
BTN ($25.00)
SB ($25.00)
BB ($30.81)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1

UTG raises to $0.85, Hero calls $0.85, 1 fold, BTN raises to $2, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.15, Hero calls $1.15

Flop: ($6.35, 3 players)
UTG bets $6.35, Hero calls $6.35, BTN folds

Turn: ($19.05, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $19.05, UTG calls $19.05

River: ($57.15, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero goes all-in $16.18, UTG folds

Final Pot: $57.15

Hero wins $70.48 ( won +$26.90 )
BTN lost -$2
UTG lost -$27.40

This is possibly the biggest non showdown pot I've ever won at $25 PL. It's not really what I'm aiming for by caring so much about non showdown money of course. Non showdown money is about picking up lots of pots using position without necessarily having a great hand. But this counts for the stats.

I called on the flop because we were deep enough that I didn't think I had a chance to get all in vs anything but a set, and I wanted to give the button a chance to come along, or possibly make a glorious mistake with AA or something like that. I was unsure if that was the best play at the time or if I needed to play my draw stronger, but it appears I'm a huge dog to a set (37/62 vs TTxx where xx are two random cards).

In a 3-bet pot like this if we were playing for $25 effective stacks I'm raising this flop bet 100% of the time and trying to get all in.

Super Duper Monster Draw

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($59.19)
UTG+1 ($38.46)
CO ($49.44)
Hero (BTN) ($25.68)
SB ($18.53)
BB ($25.00)

UTG calls $0.25, 1 fold, CO calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.35, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.10, CO calls $1.10

Flop: ($4.40, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets $4, UTG calls $4, CO calls $4

Turn: ($16.40, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($16.40, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets $2, Hero calls $2, UTG folds

Final Pot: $20.40
CO shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $19.38 ( won +$12.03 )
UTG lost -$5.35
CO lost -$7.35

This is one of the massive flops I was talking about in my last post. I have T976 on a J85 board. Any 4, 6, 7, 9, T, or Q gives me a straight. That's a 20 card draw. Only 10 of those outs give me the nuts though. So while I really wanted to try to get all in on this flop, the right type of hand can marginalize my draw quite a bit. My opponent's KQ96 actually does just that. He's got the lead on the flop b/c of the high card, and his KQ9 means that a couple of my straight outs give him the hand instead. I have only a 51/49 lead on this flop, despite the fact that I can catch nearly half the deck twice to make a straight.

The turn and the river are the scariest cards ever, and I'm just lucky my opponent was unable to fire a real barrel into the pot, or I would have been forced to fold.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $1030

I was discussing with a couple buddies last night and decided that I'm ready for a shot at $50 PL. I had intended to wait til I hit $1250 to take a 5 buyin shot, but decided instead that the next time I hit $1000, I would take a 2 buyin shot at the next level. Meaning, I'll play $50 PL until/unless I drop down to $900. If I hit $900 I'll drop back down, otherwise I will see how things go.

$1000 is not anywhere near close enough to being properly rolled for the $50 game. My style of play is obviously quite volatile, and in the end I should probably tend towards keeping closer to 40+ buyins for a level than 20-25.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

7/29 - Evening Session

HANDS: 241 at $50 PL
RESULT: UP $95.40

STATS: 43.6% VP$P/21.2% PFR/2.87 AF

Won at Showdown: -$23.25 <-- some of this is due to the start of the game, two awful awful aggro players, the first 75 hands or so was all about having the best hand at showdown. Otherwise, we'll see how it goes in the future.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($218.25)
UTG+1 ($176.35)
Hero (CO) ($40.95)
BTN ($64.50)
SB ($50.00)
BB ($50.00)

UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.25, BTN calls $2.25, SB raises to $10, 1 fold, UTG calls $9.50, Hero calls $7.75, BTN calls $7.75

Flop: ($40.50, 4 players)
SB checks, UTG bets $40.50, Hero goes all-in $30.95, 1 fold, SB goes all-in $40

Turn: ($151.95, 3 players)

River: ($151.95, 3 players)

Final Pot: $151.45
SB shows:
UTG shows:
Hero shows:

SB wins $18.10 ( lost -$31.90 )
UTG wins $0.50 ( lost -$50 )
Hero wins $130.35 ( won +$89.40 )
BTN lost -$10

4 way 3-bet pot, I flop more than a good enough draw to go all in with. The set of kings had 59% equity, I had 40%, UTG had 1%. His dead money plus all the money in the pot from the preflop action made it a hugely profitable play for me.

Time To Quit When...

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($29.35)
UTG+1 ($125.75)
CO ($30.95)
Hero (BTN) ($160.40)
SB ($53.30)
BB ($89.75)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is BTN

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, CO raises to $2.25, Hero calls $2.25, SB calls $2, BB calls $1.75, UTG+1 calls $1.75

Flop: ($11.25, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets $10, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 raises to $41.25, CO folds, Hero folds

Final Pot: $31.25

UTG+1 wins $60.95 ( won +$17.45 )
SB lost -$2.25
BB lost -$2.25
CO lost -$2.25
Hero lost -$12.25

Villain here is the guy i referred to in my 7-game play as a stud specialist. He joined the game about halfway through. This was in my last orbit, I'd lost $55 in my last two orbits, and was really worried about seeing KK here 250 BB deep. I have enough history playing w/ this guy that I don't think his range is very wide here and if we get all in I'm not going to be a big favorite ever, and might be crushed.

I don't have a lot of experience playing this deep against competant players. If I wasn't about to quit, if I was more settled in at the higher level, I go all in here. But quite simply, I wasn't willing to risk my stack in my last orbit. That's a bad bad way to play. He told me after the hand he had AQJx with the heart draw. He was a 52/48 favorite in the hand. The right play is to get it all in there. But I'm really perfectly fine ending my first session at $50 PL up two buyins and not in a coinflip situation for $250.

FTP BANKROLL: $1125

I'll continue to play $50 PL tomorrow, I'll give myself a 3 buyin leash, I'll drop back down if I hit $975. I would write more but it is past my bedtime $50 is very, very beatable. I'm very hopeful that I can play well and avoid running bad early and make this stick. But I'm not going to push it and play way under-rolled for too long if things don't go well.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

7/30 - Afternoon Session

Well, the rollercoaster continues. That was nasty.

HANDS: 72
RESULT: DOWN $201

I ended up giving myself 4 buyins instead of 3. They went fast

NON SHOWDOWN MONEY: -$13.15 <-- not so hot again, the couple times I put in a big raise it went all bad.

There is no biggest pot won today.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($72.80)
UTG+1 ($166.40)
CO ($26.55)
Hero (BTN) ($62.60)
SB ($99.90)
BB ($45.45)

UTG raises to $1.75, UTG+1 calls $1.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($6, 3 players)
UTG bets $5, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $5

Turn: ($16, 2 players)
UTG bets $14, Hero goes all-in $55.85, UTG calls $41.85

River: ($127.70, 2 players)

Final Pot: $127.70
Hero shows:
UTG shows:

UTG wins $124.70 ( won +$62.10 )
Hero lost -$62.60
UTG+1 lost -$1.75

UTG shows a set FTW
Hero shows air

UTG looked like a standard holdem TAG. He never entered a pot without raising, and he had fired flop and turn every time he played. So I call him in position preflop with a pretty marginal hand, but in position multiway no sweat there. Float an extremely dry flop where there can be a large number of scary turn cards, and with a gutshot and backdoor flush draw. the card that does hit the turn isn't the scariest card, but it improves my draw, and I decide to put him to the test.

Bad timing, he has a set. But I think the idea was sound.

Hm I think I'm an idiot

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($98.30)
UTG+1 ($19.10)
CO ($60.65)
BTN ($149.75)
Hero (BB) ($56.45)

Pre-flop: ($0.50, 5 players) Hero is BB

UTG raises to $1.50, UTG+1 raises to $5, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.50, UTG raises to $20, UTG+1 goes all-in $14.10, Hero calls $15

Flop: ($59.10, 3 players)
Hero goes all-in $36.45, UTG calls $36.45

Turn: ($132, 3 players)

River: ($132, 3 players)

Final Pot: $132
Hero shows:
UTG shows:
UTG+1 shows:

UTG wins $74.55 ( won +$18.10 )
UTG+1 wins $54.45 ( won +$35.35 )
Hero lost -$56.45

The first preflop call is really where its at. I cold called a raise and a 3-bet with T876 single suited, out of the big blind. My thinking at the time was that UTG was almost certainly just calling the 3-bet and if I hit I can get in a monster c/r if I hit the flop.

Now UTG 4-bets. Ok, so he has AA. If anyone 4-bets at this level with a rundown, well, I've never seen it. I don't think even KQJT double suited 4-bets there too often at this level. The other guy is short, but he does call, so now I get to make a push or fold decision postflop against aces.

Flop misses me for the most part, it gives me a gutshot and a flush draw. I can push or check/fold. I shrug and push. UTG has a better flush draw which is the worst thing I could possibly see. Just an awful result for me.

I can stay out of this mess by folding my poorly structured wrap hand to a 3-bet preflop. Gaps at the top are BAD. T986 is hugely better than T876.

The funny thing is that I was the favorite preflop. Because they both have aces its very hard for them to improve. I actually have 41% equity in the pot preflop. On the flop though I'm fucked, bad.

The rest of the money I lost were just unfortunate situations. I flopped top set with AA and got almost all the money in on the flop 3 ways. The turn completes a flush draw and the rest of the money goes in, the board doesn't pair, and a $150 stack goes to the guy with nothing but the nut flush draw on the flop. /shrug, can't do anything about that.

Obviously, I ended up giving myself 4 buyins instead of 3 before dropping back down. I gambled big time in a couple spots early and had a great image, so I wanted give myself another shot to get paid off, but it didn't work out.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $925

I comfort myself in the fact that I ran about $110 below expectation in all in pots, and that even with a couple crazy moves I just need to get lucky once, or have top set hold up once thanks, and I'm still quite in business.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

Full Tilt did a big new software release today, and its really really nice. Filtering and a "favorites" tab that make it real easy to only see the games you care about. But anyway, as part of this release the have a huge bonus promotion going. anyone that's played any this month has a bonus of at least $100 available. My bonus is $200. I've got a month to clear it. That money clears in $20 increments, I'll note when some of that hits.

Also, I am likely staying at $50 PL. In early July I cashed 1k out of Pokerstars with the intent of moving it to FTP. While the transfer was processing I went on a hot streak, so I just sat on the money. I've still been counting it as part of my poker bankroll and just sitting on it. I'm not going to deposit it, but consider it available to me should I get my ass kicked at the $50 level, play $50 PL for awhile, and deposit it if I need to.

In other FTP Accounting news, I made Silver today in their ironman program. that's where I'll finish the month. The main value that gives me is towards their year end bonus. At the end of the year everyone gets bonus money based on their ironman levels from July-December. Each month at Bronze is worth $25, Silver $50, Gold $75, Iron $100. So earning Silver this month means I'll have a $50 bonus to clear at the end of the year. There are some qualifications on that(must play enough in December to qualify) but no worries there.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

7/30 - Evening Session

$50 PL (from last night, I just didn't write it up before bed)

HANDS: 302
RESULT: UP $89.60

STATS: 43.5% VP$P/22.6% PFR/1.88 AF
Non Showdown Money: + $46.85 <-- SOLID.

A nice long session here, but I ended up sitting at 6 different tables while I was playing. I lost $25 on my very first hand finding a guy with quads(three tens on the board, I have QQ and no one has played like they necessarily have AA, KK, or a ten). I get ahead nicely within my first 100 hands and end up puttering around the rest of the way, getting called lightly just a couple too many times when I was trying to push my way into a pot to have a huge win.

Biggest Win

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($34.50)
CO ($21.10)
BTN ($41.90)
SB ($47.50)
Hero (BB) ($59.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is BB

3 folds, SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50, SB calls $3

Flop: ($9, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7, SB calls $7

Turn: ($23, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $23, SB goes all-in $36, Hero calls $13

River: ($95, 2 players)

Final Pot: $95
SB shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $92 ( won +$44.50 )
SB lost -$47.50

I have the nut straight. Opponent has a pair and a flush draw.

Opponent in this hand is my friend I've referred to as a stud specialist in earlier posts. I was unintentionally a bit of a dick too soon after the hand, thanking him for the extra money after he left. I didn't mean to be a dick, I was just really confused at the time as to how the hand played out the way it did.

So anyway, I like my hand quite a bit for a blind battle and 3-bet in position. I flop an openended draw, there's a big case to be made here for checking behind with a weak draw, I dont want to get check-raised here. But at the same time, its a blind battle, and I'd like my opponent to fold his weakest hands so that I don't risk getting bluffed out later on.

On the turn I hit and bet the pot to try to simply take down the hand, I don't want to see a club or a paired board. I bet $23, opponent only has $13 left so I'm completely committed to the hand no matter what I have now, but obviously call with the nuts.

Its the amount of the all in on the turn that confused me. If we're deeper a turn check-raise could be super powerful(as long as I don't have this exact hand of course), but with $13 left I'm probably not even folding say, K222 here, which is ahead of what my buddy had. I dodge the flush and take down a nice pot.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($74.65)
Hero (UTG+1) ($42.25)
CO ($50.00)
BTN ($59.25)
SB ($50.00)
BB ($29.55)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1

1 fold, Hero raises to $1.75, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.75, 1 fold, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($5.50, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BTN calls $5, BB folds

Turn: ($15.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $11.25, Hero calls $11.25

River: ($38, 2 players)
Hero goes all-in $24.25, BTN calls $24.25

Final Pot: $86.50
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

BTN wins $83.50 ( won +$41.25 )
BB lost -$1.75
Hero lost -$42.25

I have two pair, opponent rivers a straight and I hand him my stack.

A bit loose for an open raise in MP, and I am punished for it by having to play the hand out of position. Standard C-bet on the flop. The turn card is interesting, I now have top and bottom pair, which really isn't all that great a holding, but on this kind of board, well, you saw what my opponent called the flop with. Top pair w/ a pretty looking wrap hand that can improve on lots of turns. I think this is a spot where i need to 2-barrel instead of checking and calling. If he still just has a 9 with perhaps a weaker draw than this, he'll fold. I don't give any consideration to folding the turn, as when I do check it looks like I'm giving up.

On the river I try to rep the straight but looking at it now I'm not sure how reasonable that is. Unfortunately he rivers the nuts so it certainly looks dumb now. Another good example of a hand that is 100 times easier to play in position. In position I can control the pot here and make better choices on the turn and river. Out of position I struggle to find any control in this situation and end up losing it all.

Bluff Gone Right

6 players

Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($51.30)
UTG+1 ($50.00)
CO ($67.65)
BTN ($109.60)
SB ($39.75)
BB ($68.00)

[UTG+1 posted $0.5]
Pre-flop: ($1.25, 6 players) Hero is UTG

Hero raises to $2.25, UTG+1 calls $1.75, CO calls $2.25, 2 folds, BB calls $1.75

Flop: ($9.25, 4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $6, UTG+1 calls $6, 1 fold, BB folds

Turn: ($21.25, 2 players)
Hero bets $16, UTG+1 calls $16

River: ($53.25, 2 players)
Hero goes all-in $27.05, UTG+1 folds

Final Pot: $53.25

Hero wins $77.65 ( won +$26.35 )
BB lost -$2.25
UTG+1 lost -$24.25
CO lost -$2.25

Normally I fold this UTG. I tend to attack posters pretty heavily(ie the guy that posted his big blind to get into the action right away instead of waiting two hands). The flop is all hearts. This is pretty much an automatic c-bet. I expect to win the hand most of the time if no one has a flush.

Now that I get called on the flop(but not raised), I end up deciding to go for a naked ace bluff. Naked ace bluff is a common thing in PLO. I have the ace of hearts. The nuts are not an uncommon holding in PLO, and I know that my opponent cannot possibly have the nuts, because i have the ace. Now, at this limit, I don't expect a king high flush to fold, and a queen high flush might not even fold. But if I bet the pot on all 3 streets, my opponent is going to have a very, very hard time calling down.

So I bet again on the turn, and push all in on the river. My opponent might have a set wanting the board to pair(though the turn call would be awful there), he might have a medium sized flush that he can't let go of easily, or he might have the king high flush and just be suckering me in. But no matter what he has, he has to be seriously considering the possibility that I have the nut flush by now. Its his first hand at the table and I have no info on him, so I just have to hope he's not a big time donkey who would call all the way down with a 9 high flush or whatever. He folds, and I win a nice pot.

Rakeback Friday, wheeee

The rakeback site I went through to set up my full tilt account pays out rakeback weekly. Its a little like Christmas in that I know I'm getting something, but I have no idea exactly what. The site tracks rakeback monthly, pays it weekly, but I'm not being paid for my rake generated from last friday to this friday. It appears I'm being paid for some random time that is likely Tuesday->Tuesday except not always exactly that, I dunno really.

Anyway, I receive $29.04 in rakeback this week, so that's included in the total below. That won't include any of my $50 PL play over the last couple days. I expect RB to be more than double at the higher level game, and am hoping to get $75-$100/week back at this new level.

FTP BANKROLL: $1043

Last edited by Radii : 07-31-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

7/31 - Afternoon Session

More $50 PL

HANDS: 153
RESULT: UP $123.20

STATS: 43.7% VP$P/26.5% PFR/2.87 AF

Non Showdown Money: +$4.15 <-- well, 4 is more than 0, eh?

Got up a little early, had some ups and downs in the middle, and got real hot at the end to win a giant pot, stack a short stack twice in one orbit, and book a solid profit.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($66.80)
UTG+1 ($78.30)
CO ($50.00)
BTN ($50.00)
Hero (SB) ($70.45)
BB ($34.45)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is SB

UTG raises to $1.75, 3 folds, Hero raises to $5.75, 1 fold, UTG calls $4

Flop: ($12, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($12, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $6, Hero calls $6

River: ($24, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $8, Hero raises to $31, UTG goes all-in $55.05, Hero calls $24.05

Final Pot: $134.10
Hero shows:
UTG shows:

Hero wins $131.10 ( won +$64.30 )
UTG lost -$66.80

I showdown top boat, opponent has 2nd boat, I win.

Well, if any hand in PLO is worth 3-betting out of position, this is it. AAKK and AAJT double suited are considered the best two starting hands in PLO. Basically nothing goes right til the river postflop and I back my way into a giant pot.

On the flop, if I bet and he calls and a club hits the turn, I'm in a very awkward situation with a lot of money behind still, and top set on a flush board. Normally I would bet and make him pay to draw. But here, this opponent was very aggressive and liked to fire a lot with a lot of different hands. i decided to take a risky line and try to get in a check/raise on the flop. If he bets when I check to him, I can get a much bigger percentage of my stack in and the hand plays itself from there.

Instead, opponent checks and the turn... well, looking at the results, the turn was my gin card, best card I could hit. But without knowing that the turn was a disaster because now I don't know where I stand. I decide to check and call and make sure the pot stays small.

The river is brings the beautiful paired board. Another risky play here, but my opponent bet the turn, and if he honestly fears a set here well good on him if he checks a flush. But he's been the aggressive type that I don't think would do that. I expect him to bet most flushes and possibly to bet air to try to induce a fold if he's bluffing. so I take another risky line and check the river. He does bet, and all the money quickly goes in. Turns out my flop check allowed him to improve to a hand I could stack him with, so it worked nicely, even though it felt ugly.

Biggest Pot Lost

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($55.45)
CO ($68.75)
Hero (BTN) ($50.00)
SB ($57.70)
BB ($168.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is BTN

1 fold, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.25, 1 fold, BB calls $1.75, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($7, 3 players)
BB bets $5, CO folds, Hero raises to $22, BB raises to $73, Hero goes all-in $25.75

Turn: ($127.75, 2 players)

River: ($127.75, 2 players)

Final Pot: $102.50
BB shows:
Hero shows:

BB wins $124.75 ( won +$49.50 )
CO lost -$2.25
Hero lost -$50

I raise a lot of crap on the button after limpers and don't think much of it, so preflop is fine for me IMO. On the flop my opponent leads out. I'm always curious about lead bets, sometimes they are bluffs, sometimes the nuts. I'd seen my opponent in this hand do some very weird things in the past, call off a stack 250 BB deep ($125) with unimproved aces, etc. and he continues that line here. But anyway, I could call and try to hit my hand, or I could raise the flop. I decide here that I've got enough to play for stacks, and I don't want people thinking they can come after me and get me to back down on my button, despite playing 60% of my hands in that position. So I take the aggressive line and raise and end up getting it in. My opponent again has a ridiculously weak holding here, just kings.

I have a 13 card straight draw (any ace/4/5/6 give me the nuts) vs his pair, and I am a 52/48 favorite. So we're flipping a coin for $100 basically, and he wins this flip. But its good to see that this guy is consitently willing to go all in so very lightly.

Domination, PLO style

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($175.40)
UTG+1 ($79.90)
CO ($20.00)
Hero (BTN) ($52.30)
SB ($64.90)
BB ($50.00)

UTG raises to $1, 1 fold, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, 1 fold, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($4.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets $4.25, Hero raises to $17, BB folds, UTG calls $17, CO folds

Turn: ($42.50, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero goes all-in $34.30, UTG calls $34.30

River: ($111.10, 2 players)

Final Pot: $111.10
UTG shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $108.10 ( won +$55.80 )
UTG lost -$52.30
CO lost -$5.25
BB lost -$1

In holdem, you think of AA vs KK or AK vs AJ, limiting your opponent to 2 or 3 outs. In PLO, occasionally you get in spots where you're freerolling your opponent, and its the best thing ever when you hit.

Here, I flop the nut straight on a rainbow flop. Awesome, though a hand like 874 has me in bad shape. The nuts with weak redraws are often hands to be played a bit slowly. Here I'm trying to isolate a weak shortstacker who led into me, but it doesn't work as someone behind cold calls and the short stacker folds.

The turn is a mixed blessing. I no longer have the nuts, 97 would crush me now. But I also have legitimate redraws to improve, a 9 would give me a jack-high straight, and a diamond would give me a flush. Ten high flushes aren't great, but when its a redraw in addition to a strong made hand, its *awesome*. I push and hope he doesn't have 97.

He calls with the same hand as me, but notice he has zero cards to win. I'm completely freerolling him. I have 9 outs to a flush and 3 outs(the non-diamond 9's) to the nut straight. I hit, my opponent gives me a "nice catch" and leaves the table, and I take down a nice pot.

Where did all the non-showdown money go?

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($53.25)
CO ($177.40)
BTN ($7.35)
Hero (SB) ($104.10)
BB ($67.35)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is SB

UTG raises to $1.75, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($5.75, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $5.75, BTN goes all-in $5.60, Hero calls $5.75

Turn: ($22.85, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $11.40, Hero calls $11.40

River: ($45.65, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG goes all-in $34.35, Hero folds

Final Pot: $45.65
BTN shows:
UTG shows:

UTG wins $77.75 ( won +$24.50 )
BTN lost -$7.35
Hero lost -$18.90

Yuk yuk yuk. I call preflop with a tiny wrap. These hands aren't nearly as strong as the bigger versions. Even 8765 is vastly superior than 6543. A 234 rainbow flop gives 8765 a straight with multiple redraws and is just an immensely strong flop. The best 6543 can do is flop A23, good for sure, but not nearly as good. Also any wrap involving 6543 can more easily have outs counterfieted by higher gutshots and such.

But those aren't the problems I run into here. I flop 3 of a kind with a shit kicker against two loose/bad players. I end up calling two pot sized bets on the flop and turn and folding the river. The guy betting here had been playing overpairs, draws, two pair on straight boards, etc, very very aggressively. I thought I might well be best and thought I was very likely to be best if i hit a boat. Thank god I didn't, as I was drawing 100% dead on the flop.

so in this hand I stick $18 into the pot and fold. Better than sticking it all in and losing I guess, but calling off that many chips and folding isn't something one should do often.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $1166
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

7/31 - Afternoon Session #2

Quick writeup here, as I am off to have dinner and put in a hopefully long, solid friday night session to finish off July.

HANDS: 74
RESULT: UP $95.75

STATS: 40.5% VP$P/13.5% PFR/2.89 AF

Non Showdown Money: +$14.10

Biggest Pot Won - Bluffing with the Best Hand

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($50.00)
CO ($50.00)
BTN ($27.45)
SB ($26.15)
Hero (BB) ($98.75)

1 fold, CO raises to $1.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $3, Hero raises to $11, CO calls $8

Turn: ($25.75, 2 players)
Hero bets $20, CO calls $20

River: ($65.75, 2 players)
Hero bets $17.25, CO goes all-in $17.25

Final Pot: $100.25
Hero shows:
CO shows:

Hero wins $97.25 ( won +$47.25 )
CO lost -$50

CO here is a decent multi-tabling TAG, I would not be surprised to see that he's a 2+2'er. We have a fair amount of history, I'm sure he has a bunch of notes, or at least stats on me and sees me as very loose. One thing I haven't done enough though, is check-raise after defending the blinds. I rarely spot the best times to do it as a bluff. So I expect the CO to know I don't check-raise often. And here I have a solid overpair and a backdoor flush draw.

So I check-raise the flop and he calls. That could mean a lot, I have a hard time putting him on a hand with that. A made straight planning to put it in on the turn, AA or KK not ready to give up? Maybe two pair or something, his raising range opening in the cutoff is probably as wide as my blind defense range.

the turn pairs the four and I decide to commit myself to the hand. I fire the turn and when he calls again I feel very confident that he's got AA and has decided to call me down. I've seen him make some loose(and very profitable) calldowns against loose players he deems likely of making a move.

On the river I shrug and fire again because I'm not about to check/fold. I am fairly stunned to be ahead. Pretty damn thrilled too.

Also, the first $20 of my bonus was released during this session.

FULL TILT BANKROLL: $1282
Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

7/31 - Evening Session

A long day of poker, and a very very solid one.

HANDS: 357
RESULT: UP $92.45

I got up between $75 and $110 3 different times this session, gave it back the first two times and the last time decided it was quitting time.

STATS: 41.9% VP$P/25.2% PFR/2.29 AF

Non-Showdown Money: -$31.80 <-- sadface. More on this later.

Um. 6 of my 7 biggest pots tonight were just making top set and getting paid off. That's not really interesting.

Big Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($65.05)
UTG+1 ($102.50)
CO ($268.50)
BTN ($66.35)
SB ($46.20)
Hero (BB) ($42.80)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is BB

UTG raises to $1.75, 1 fold, CO calls $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($7.25, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $7.25, BTN calls $7.25, Hero raises to $36.25, UTG folds, CO raises to $123.25, BTN folds, Hero goes all-in $4.80

Turn: ($178.80, 2 players)

River: ($178.80, 2 players)

Final Pot: $96.60
CO shows:
Hero shows:

CO wins $82.20 ( lost -$42.80 )
Hero wins $93.60 ( won +$50.80 )
BTN lost -$9
UTG lost -$1.75

Pretty standard I think. I'm beaten on the flop but I am lucky in that there isn't a higher flush out there. So I have the sucker end of the straight, two pair, and a flush draw on the flop. My opponent has flopped about as well as he can as well, except for the two diamonds on the board. He has the nut straight where any 5, 7, or 8 give him redraws to a higher straight.

Believe it or not, these two monster draws are basically a coin flip. 53/47 in favor of the made hand. I boat up and win a nice pot.

I had very little success tonight bluffing people off pots of any size at all. I picked up more than my share of small pots but I was not having any success at all getting people off their hands if the pot got over $20 or so.

A Small Bluff

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($247.35)
UTG+1 ($63.85)
CO ($36.75)
Hero (BTN) ($108.30)
SB ($50.25)
BB ($56.90)

UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.75, 2 folds, UTG calls $2.25, CO calls $2.25

Flop: ($9, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets $1.50, Hero raises to $9, UTG folds, CO folds

Final Pot: $12

Hero wins $18.90 ( won +$7.15 )
UTG lost -$2.75
CO lost -$4.25

Weak(ie tiny, $1.50 into a $9 pot) lead bets are bluffs until proven otherwise is the basic rule here. Some people will do this with a super strong hand, but more often than not its a misguided effort to rep a 9 from someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. I pick it off successfully here.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($15.30)
UTG+1 ($40.50)
CO ($13.60)
Hero (BTN) ($52.40)
SB ($186.75)
BB ($210.75)

3 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, SB calls $1.50, BB raises to $7, Hero raises to $22.75, SB folds, BB calls $15.75

Flop: ($47.25, 2 players)
BB bets $47.25, Hero goes all-in $29.65

Turn: ($124.15, 2 players)

River: ($124.15, 2 players)

Final Pot: $106.55
Hero shows:
BB shows:

BB wins $121.15 ( won +$51.15 )
Hero lost -$52.40
SB lost -$1.75

The small blind had been 3-betting me a LOT. It had gotten to where he was 3-betting me about 40% of the time that I open raised from late position. This is a game that some smarter opponents will start to play. I could have picked a better spot I think, I got overanxious to play back at him and decided a two pair hand, where the high pair is as good as jacks, was good enough. I'm new to this level of play. The solution to combating someone who is 3-betting you light is to tighten up your raising range slightly, and to 4-bet back at them more often to get them to back down. So that's what I was trying to do here but I sure don't want to be in a position to have to hit a set to win a hand like this.

With just the overpair, and without me being suited, he's a 70/30 favorite. If I'm double suited then its 61/38. If my two pairs are double suited, and closer together to give me straight possibilities (JJ99 for example) then he's only a 57/42 favorite. Something for me to remember for next time.

I mentioned above that I was down in non-showdown pots by a bit tonight. This was the reason. I was still raising a wide range of hands and my opponent was 3-betting me more and more often. This is a good situation really, he's 3-betting me out of the blinds, so i've got position on him. But I was whiffing completely and meekly giving up time and time again. So while I was doing a good job picking up the small pots that I usually get, I was giving up a lot in these 3-bet pots against this one player.

FTP BANKROLL: $1373

Incredible day today. I played 3 different sessions on the day and won $310.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

July Review

July was good, heh. Image should link to the full size image off site so as to not explode the size of this thread.

Stats from each position:

One of the reasons for my focus on non showdown money in each of these posts... early in the month when the graph is just going straight up, I'm basically running hotter than the sun, hitting a ton and getting paid off. During this stretch I stop trying to pick up any non showdown pots at all, just folding when I miss way too often and not worrying about it. The downswing in the middle occurs when I stop hitting every hand, and at the same time am still giving up too easily in many pots.

The fun swings towards the end are pretty much where I started writing here, I've gotten a lot more aggressive again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but as long as I have the right idea more often than not, things should continue moving upwards after all the swings are said and done.

General thoughts on my mind after reviewing the month:

a) gotta win more out of the blinds... or defend less. More check-raising after blind defense when I think I can pick up pots, people need to be afraid that I'm going to check-raise them constantly. As it is now, when I c/r, its because I have a hand.

b) I'm finishing up reading the section on 3-betting in Jeff Hwang's new book(Amazon.com: Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha: Small Ball and Short-Handed Play (9780974150291): Jeff Hwang: Books, highly recommended, though its really sorta a followup to: Amazon.com: Pot-Limit Omaha Poker (9780818407260): Jeff Hwang: Books, so I'd recommend that first, then the Advanced book). Anyway, lots of things in the 3-betting section I haven't really considered before. At some point either after I've built up at $50, or maybe I'll drop down to $25 to experiment, but at some point I want to play a few sessions where I just go 3-bet crazy in postion and explore some of the book's ideas.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

8/1 - Two Combined Sessions

I played about 90 hands in the early afternoon and really wasn't paying close attention/wasn't totally focused. I was down $32 when I figured that out and quit for awhile. Tonight I think I started getting a little more comfortable with the higher stakes, I got in a couple crazy gamble situations and was willing to put my stack in when I thought I had a thin edge, so i feel alright about that.

HANDS: 291
RESULT: DOWN $73

STATS: 38.6% VP$P/23.4% PFR/2.51 AF

Non Showdown Money: +$38.70 <-- well, there's that at least.

38% VP$P is due to the not focusing thing really, for a good stretch today I played like 33/20 just b/c I was autopiloting a little and surfing the web while I played.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($117.60)
UTG+1 ($32.80)
Hero (CO) ($45.25)
BTN ($154.50)
SB ($50.15)
BB ($53.60)

UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.75, BTN calls $2.75, SB calls $2.50, 1 fold, UTG calls $2.25, UTG+1 calls $2.25

Flop: ($14.25, 5 players)
SB bets $14.25, 2 folds, Hero goes all-in $42.50, BTN goes all-in $151.75, SB goes all-in $33.15

Turn: ($255.90, 3 players)

River: ($255.90, 3 players)

Final Pot: $151.55
BTN shows:
SB shows:
Hero shows:

BTN wins $104.35 ( lost -$50.15 )
SB wins $9.80 ( lost -$40.35 )
Hero wins $138.75 ( won +$93.50 )
UTG lost -$2.75
UTG+1 lost -$2.75

I have a straight for the giant win, SB shows top two pair on the flop, BTN has a whiffed flush draw.

I raise preflop and get a lot of callers. With a $14 pot preflop and a $42 stack, my SPR is only 3. SPR is a big bet concept, it stands for "Stack to Pot Ratio". My stack is only 3 times the size of the pot after the preflop action. that's tiny, and lends itself to some gambling situations. The Button in this hand was pretty tight, 24/9 preflop and seemed like a bit of a folder to me. The SB leads out instead of trying for a check-raise. Most players at this level seem to try to slowplay sets, though a lead w/ a set would be quite smart as I'm not going to c-bet a lot 5 handed.

But anyway, I have a pair, a backdoor flush draw, and an open ended straight draw to the nuts, and I decide to gamble a bit. Turns out, I actually have 29% equity in the pot when the money went in. 33% would be a breakeven decision. I was a favorite over the original bettor's top two pair. So with the surprise of the button going all in too, I'm pretty happy to see I'm only slightly behind equity wise. I hit a king and win a giant pot.

All in preflop with WHAT?!

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($53.75)
Hero (UTG+1) ($99.70)
CO ($71.45)
BTN ($14.95)
SB ($5.40)
BB ($105.25)

1 fold, Hero raises to $1.75, CO calls $1.75, BTN raises to $7.75, SB goes all-in $5.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $6, CO raises to $36.90, BTN goes all-in $7.20, Hero goes all-in $99.70, CO goes all-in $34.55

Flop: ($192, 4 players)

Turn: ($192, 4 players)

River: ($192, 4 players)

Final Pot: $163.75
CO shows:
BTN shows:
SB shows:
Hero shows:

CO wins $160.75 ( won +$89.30 )
Hero wins $28.25 ( lost -$71.45 )
BTN lost -$14.95
SB lost -$5.40

So I raise preflop with a hand I'll raise preflop from any position, including UTG sometimes. A bigger than starting stack calls me, then a short stack 3-bets, AND another short stack calls all in. I debated 4-betting to try to isolate the small stacks but I'm not really sure that's a good play or not to be honest. So I call, I'd love to see a flop with this hand with the pot bloated, I can push hard if I hit anything at all. Then the other guy 4-bets the pot to $36.

So here's my thinking. That's AA. That's almost always AA. you don't want to get committed in a $25 pot with like $60 behind with AA, so you don't 3-bet. But when someone else 3-bets, now you can get half your stack in, which is never a bad thing with aces.

And then here's my logic for deciding to play for a $70 stack preflop: Most likely, the two short stacks have high cards. Usually these short stacks are looking for a high pair/high cards to push with. If I get really lucky I'll see AAxx, AKQJ and AKQ7 or something and they're all eating up each other's outs. And if I'm even luckier than that, my flush draw is live. So I decide to shove the rest of my stack in preflop and play a 3 buyin pot with 8754.

Anyone want to guess who had the best equity preflop?

AKKT: 29%
AKQ9: 20%
AQ84: 15%
8754: 36%

Also, given the cards that are out, I'm a 54/46 favorite over AKKT preflop. Sure, I lost the pot, but obviously I'm feeling pretty damn pleased about getting it in with an edge preflop here.

So anyway, down on the day, and I wasn't always getting it in good, but I feel good about opening up a bit more. Also, you can't tell from this writeup, but I was down about $175 at one point, so coming back two buyins and ending on a decent note is nice too.

I released $20 more in bonus money today, so that's added to the total. $160 to go.

FTP Bankroll: $1322
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

EPIC comeback today. Down 5+ buyins after 110 hands, setting a stoploss for 6 buyins(if I hit -300 fuckit I'm done). Big time comeback and 1 1/2 buyin win on the day:

writeup to come, I'm on a pretty big rush right now recovering from that start in one sitting haha. The big uptick in the graph around hand 375 is a $273 pot, set over set, whee!

Last edited by Radii : 08-02-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

8/2 - Sunday Evening

HANDS: 443
RESULT: UP $77.20

STATS: 36.3% VP$P/19.3 PFR/2.7 AF

Non-Showdown Money: $22.60

There are a number of tables mixed in here. My first table I played 163 hands and lost $255. I then won $50 at a table that broke after 10 hands, I hit once, got paid, table broke. And then finally I was at my last table for 227 hands, 3 hours, and won almost $300. I had $345 on the table when I finally quit.

The reason for the tighter stats is that there were 4 players playing 50% of their hands at this last table. I tightened things up a bit, I picked up a few pots here and there, but mostly I tried to just make hands, generate big pots in the right spots and get to showdown with my smaller hands. Not a ton of bluffing at this last table.

Biggest Pot Lost

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($63.45)
UTG+1 ($95.15)
Hero (CO) ($65.25)
BTN ($49.00)
SB ($184.80)
BB ($50.00)

UTG raises to $1.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.75, 1 fold, SB calls $1.50, BB raises to $4, UTG calls $2.25, Hero calls $2.25, SB calls $2.25

Flop: ($16, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $10, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $10

Turn: ($36, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $25, UTG calls $25

River: ($86, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero goes all-in $26.25, UTG goes all-in $24.45

Final Pot: $134.90
Hero shows:
UTG shows:

Hero wins $1.80 ( lost -$63.45 )
UTG wins $131.90 ( won +$68.45 )
SB lost -$4
BB lost -$4

Opponent has the nut flush. I have four cards, which is unfortunate for me.

I dunno. Its a bloated 3-bet pot that the original raiser and the 3-bettor both give up on, I have position so I stab at it. The turn is a scary card if the guy has a queen only, so I stab again. On the river, its hard to call 3 streets with just trips or just a flush, so I throw the rest of my stack in. He's not buying it. One of those spots where, when it doesn't work, one looks pretty dumb.

Another big early loss

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($42.15)
UTG+1 ($50.00)
CO ($79.05)
Hero (BTN) ($66.05)
SB ($29.45)
BB ($44.80)

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $1.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.75, 1 fold, BB raises to $7.25, UTG+1 calls $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Flop: ($22, 3 players)
BB bets $22, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $44, BB goes all-in $15.55

Turn: ($103.55, 2 players)

River: ($103.55, 2 players)

Final Pot: $97.10
Hero shows:
BB shows:

Hero wins $6.45 ( lost -$44.80 )
BB wins $94.10 ( won +$49.30 )
UTG+1 lost -$7.25

I play this the same pretty much every time. Opponent has $37 left after the flop, the pot is $22. This is a spot to gamble. I expect to be ahead a fair amount of the time here, though against say AAxx with the flush draw there's a lot of ways I can still lose. But its a bloated pot and two pair and a gutshot is more than good enough to go against almost all opponents. I just happened to find a set this time.

After my first table, I was down $250, but running awful as well as handing a couple bad stacks out. HEM calculates "all in EV" ... it doesn't do it perfectly, its only a snapshot of the street the last bit of money goes in on. But while being down $250, I was running $150 below equity in all in pots, just getting killed(ie, if I ran even I would only be down $100, not $250). Some consolation I suppose.

I move to a new table and start playing make-a-hand poker against 4 guys who aren't folding a lot.

On the Way Back

this hand gets things going the right way finally:

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($32.55)
UTG+1 ($59.75)
Hero (CO) ($53.05)
BTN ($45.15)
SB ($82.30)
BB ($17.65)

UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.25, BTN raises to $8, 2 folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $5.75

Flop: ($17.25, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $10.50, Hero raises to $37, BTN goes all-in $37.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($91.55, 2 players)

River: ($91.55, 2 players)

Final Pot: $91.55
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $88.55 ( won +$43.40 )
BTN lost -$45.15
UTG lost -$0.50

Hands like this are a big reason why I rarely 3-bet, even in position. I raise a wide range and I'm virtually never folding to a 3-bet. I don't have the initiative, or position, but I'm pretty ok with the spot I'm in because if the flop comes AKQ I check/fold but if the flop comes 887 the other guy thinks I might be making a move or have a flush draw or something and can't let his hand go, and I get all in as an 80/20 favorite.

Holy Crap Its a 5-buyin pot

6 players

Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($166.15)
UTG+1 ($95.70)
CO ($45.20)
BTN ($49.75)
SB ($9.00)
BB ($137.70)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is UTG

Hero raises to $1.75, 4 folds, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75, 2 players)
BB bets $3.75, Hero raises to $15, BB calls $11.25

Turn: ($33.75, 2 players)
BB bets $16.85, Hero raises to $84.30, BB goes all-in $120.95, Hero calls $36.65

River: ($275.65, 2 players)

Final Pot: $275.65
BB shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $272.65 ( won +$134.95 )
BB lost -$137.70

One cannot build a 5 buyin pot by betting alone. My opponent helps me out by leading into me on the flop, and again on the turn, and I thank him and raise both times, with one, and then two flush draws available I'm not about to slowplay anything here.

I would have lost a lot were I the guy with JJ34 here, but I wouldn't have gone broke in a pot this big with middle set, I can promise you that. Note that all the times I shrug and say "this is a time to gamble" or "I decided to gamble" ... I'm usually playing for a $40-$60 stack. This hand was not a time to gamble, it was a time to get as much money in as fast as possible with the nuts.

And, just for fun

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($45.75)
UTG+1 ($53.15)
CO ($97.85)
Hero (BTN) ($285.40)
SB ($43.50)
BB ($52.20)

UTG raises to $1.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($4.25, 2 players)
UTG bets $4.25, Hero raises to $14, UTG goes all-in $44, Hero calls $30

Turn: ($92.25, 2 players)

River: ($92.25, 2 players)

Final Pot: $92.25
UTG shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $89.25 ( won +$43.50 )
UTG lost -$45.75

Opponent flops the case ace for top set. I flop middle set and with an ace in my hand never, ever, ever believe my opponent has AA. He even has my backdoor diamond draw covered. I win if I catch the case king or the turn/river come jack/ten.

Poor guy. Except in the previous orbit he hit a set to crack my two pair, so screw him imo

I also released $20 in bonus money during this session. 60/200 released now.

FTP BANKROLL: $1420
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
Radii
Head Coach

8/3 - Afternoon Session

HANDS: 192
RESULT: UP $161.70

STATS: 40.7 VP$P/26.5 PFR/2.81 AF

Won Without Showdown: $43.15 <-- walked over the table for a good bit of this session, kept expecting a streak where I got c/r'd every time I c-bet, and it never came.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($50.00)
UTG+1 ($46.15)
Hero (CO) ($157.40)
BTN ($28.25)
SB ($176.85)
BB ($50.00)

UTG raises to $1, UTG+1 raises to $3.75, Hero raises to $13, 3 folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $40.75, Hero raises to $68.50, UTG+1 goes all-in $5.40

Flop: ($116.40, 2 players)

Turn: ($116.40, 2 players)

River: ($116.40, 2 players)

Final Pot: $94.05
UTG+1 shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $113.40 ( won +$44.90 )
UTG lost -$1
UTG+1 lost -$46.15

My double suitedness, and perhaps the coordination of 64 as far as making straights, gives me a 54/46 edge preflop here. I run good.

Everything was standard/smallish stuff today really. I won a couple pots in the $30-$40 range calling with fairly strong hands and making a couple thin'ish value bets that got called(medium-sorta high flush comes in on the river, set calls a river bet, etc).

There were two very loose players at the table when I joined, I was sandwiched between them and started out tighter(like 34/20 after 70-80 hands) and playing for value with them. The one on my left picked up and it was just the loose player on my right. When he did fold preflop I ran over the table with wild abandon. In 192 hands, I won 17 pots without seeing a flop by raising pre and having the table fold around. At the tables I normally play that number is usually closer to 5 out of 200ish hands I bet. C-bets on the flop took down $3-$4 pots with the same regularity. Boring, but highly profitable.

FTP Bankroll: $1586

On July 1 I had $70 in my account(hence the prep to move $1k from stars->ftp mentioned some time above that didn't happen since I started playing better/running well). I cannot begin to explain how thrilled I am to have crossed over $1500 just 1 month later.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

8/3 - Evening Session

HANDS: 172
RESULT: UP $9.30

BOOOOORING.

STATS: 43.5% VP$P/23.5% PFR/3.69 AF

Won Without Showdown: +$0.40

Bluff Gone Right

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($35.90)
Hero (UTG+1) ($71.00)
CO ($40.95)
BTN ($35.20)
SB ($50.00)
BB ($71.20)

1 fold, Hero raises to $1.75, CO raises to $6, BTN calls $6, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.25

Flop: ($18.75, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $6.50, BTN calls $6.50, Hero calls $6.50

Turn: ($38.25, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

River: ($38.25, 3 players)
Hero bets $25, CO folds, BTN folds

Final Pot: $38.25

Hero wins $61.35 ( won +$23.85 )
BTN lost -$12.50
CO lost -$12.50

CO in this hand runs like 11/6 over 200+ hands. He's not raising much at all, and his 3-betting range is AA and only AA as far as I know to this point.

I make a very loose and probably bad call on the flop. I don't think anyone has a made straight, as that would require the CO have exactly AA76, and surely the button would be raising in an already bloated 3-bet pot if he had the straight. But still, I've only got an open ended draw and the jack doesn't even give me the nuts.

Turn checks around, and once that happens I am likely betting all non-ace rivers. I actually don't like the river as it pairs the card that showed up on the turn. AA now has two pair and beats a hand like 98. I decide to follow through with my turn plan anyway and pick up a nice pot.

Aggressive Play in a 3-bet Pot

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($106.80)
UTG+1 ($7.50)
CO ($51.95)
BTN ($75.20)
SB ($49.50)
Hero (BB) ($95.85)

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, CO raises to $2.25, BTN calls $2.25, SB raises to $10, Hero calls $9.50, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $7.75, BTN calls $7.75

Flop: ($40.50, 4 players)
SB bets $20, Hero goes all-in $85.85, 2 folds, SB goes all-in $19.50

Turn: ($165.85, 2 players)

River: ($165.85, 2 players)

Final Pot: $119.50
SB shows:
Hero shows:

SB wins $116.50 ( won +$67 )
Hero wins $46.35 ( lost -$49.50 )
UTG+1 lost -$0.50
CO lost -$10
BTN lost -$10

Preflop I cold call a raise and a 3-bet, a bit risky as I could get stuck in a real bad spot if someone after me 4-bets, but JT87 double suited is just too damn pretty for me to fold.

I flop top pair and an open ended straight draw (5678), with one backdoor flush draw. The 3-bettor commits to the pot. And here is big risk #2. I can't call here, I have to shove or fold. I am pretty confident that the guy betting has AA and that I'm in good enough shape against him with all the money in the pot to play for stacks. The problem of course is that I'm blindly shoving into two unknowns behind me. If one of them has 98 or a set, I'm in huge trouble.

I decide to shove and get the best possible result, I get heads up against a very weak AA.

Would you believe I'm a full 65/35 favorite in this hand against AA32? I thought I was probably a small favorite. 65/35 is massive in PLO. The turn and river are not what I wanted to see though, and my opponent holds up.

FTP Bankroll: 1595
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

8/4 - Tuesday Session

So yeah, please let this never stop!

HANDS: 392
RESULT: UP $405.50

STATS: 39.4% VP$P, 22.5% PFR, 2.1 AF

Won Without Showdown: -$65.05 <-- holy shit, well, these were some crazy ass tables.

Lots of big 3-bet pots, multiway pots where I had draws good enough to stay in, when I missed I gave away a bit w/o a showdown but when I hit I won stacks, is pretty much the way this went today.

I'm running real good obviously, but also I'm table selecting better now that I have some hands in at $50 PL. I recognize the names of the regulars now and know to avoid tables where I see like 4 regs. That at least gives me a better chance of finding the guys I want to be playing with.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($20.75)
Hero (UTG+1) ($55.80)
CO ($97.00)
BTN ($53.60)
SB ($28.50)
BB ($57.60)

1 fold, Hero raises to $1.75, 1 fold, BTN raises to $6, 1 fold, BB calls $5.50, Hero raises to $24.25, BTN calls $18.25, BB calls $18.25

Flop: ($73, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero goes all-in $31.55, BTN goes all-in $29.35, BB folds

Turn: ($133.90, 2 players)

River: ($133.90, 2 players)

Final Pot: $131.70
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

Hero wins $130.90 ( won +$75.10 )
BTN lost -$53.60
BB lost -$24.25

I'm able to get enough of my stack in preflop here that I have to pretty much go with my AAxx hand. I'm a 43/57 dog on the flop but catch the diamond I need to win.

Heh the biggest pot I lost tonight was $40, gambling against a short stack with a flush draw.

Bluff Gone Right

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($57.80)
CO ($105.90)
BTN ($93.05)
SB ($85.25)
Hero (BB) ($112.20)

UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks

Flop: ($2, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, BTN calls $2, SB calls $2

Turn: ($10, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7.50, UTG calls $7.50, BTN calls $7.50, SB folds

River: ($32.50, 3 players)
Hero bets $22.50, UTG folds, BTN says "777 good", BTN folds

Final Pot: $32.50

Hero wins $53.40 ( won +$20.90 )
UTG lost -$10
BTN lost -$10
SB lost -$2.50

In a limped pot, I flop an OESD and two backdoor flush draws and decide to take the initiatve and lead out. The turn gives me the nut flush draw, and I decide to keep the initiative and bet again, getting two callers again.

The river doesn't help me any but at the same time its the most harmless card in the deck. I can check and give up or bet again. Presumably by now anyone who reads this dynasty can guess what my action will be in those spots, but especially on this river. I'm repping a strong made hand on the flop and no one is pushing back at me, so its time to fire again. One of my opponents tanked before folding for whatever that's worth.

As usual in these super long sessions, I don't really have a lot else to post as the session all runs together. I don't post a lot of medium sized pot-control style pots, so here's one:

Getting to Showdown

4 players

Stacks:
CO ($95.70)
BTN ($57.90)
SB ($57.90)
Hero (BB) ($318.75)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 4 players) Hero is BB

CO calls $0.50, 1 fold, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2, CO calls $1.50, SB folds

Flop: ($4.50, 2 players)
Hero bets $4, CO calls $4

Turn: ($12.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $8, Hero calls $8

River: ($28.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Final Pot: $28.50
Hero shows:
CO shows:

Hero wins $27.10 ( won +$13.10 )
SB lost -$0.50
CO lost -$14

I almost never raise out of the big blind, so this is a rarity for me.

Standard c-bet on the flop. On the turn, if I bet I can't stand a raise, and I turned the nut flush draw, so I decide to exercise as much pot control as one is able to out of position... I check and call a bet.

I whiff the river and check. I'm giving up the pot here, but I tend to pay off a lot of river bets in situations like this with two pair type hands, sometimes lighter in smaller pots. I hope my opponents just see me making a lot of light looking river calls and are afraid to bluff me. In this spot I would have called with J8 but probably not less than that.

But anyway, my opponent didn't have the nerve to fire a second time at me, and I win a decent sized pot with my unimproved aces. There are a lot of hands like this that get played, and lots of $10-$20 pots where deciding when to fire away and when to go to showdown come up, I'll start looking for some more hands like that in future sessions.

Additionally, I released $20 more of my bonus today. That's $80/200 released.

FTP Bankroll: $2021

I don't imagine i can continue to run this hot for much longer but I'm gonna enjoy it as long as it lasts

Last edited by Radii : 08-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Radii
Head Coach

8/5 - Evening Session

Just an awful session last night on the heels of an 8 buyin winning day. The good news is that I only lost 3 buyins. But I was pretty annoyed with my play in general. More on that later.

HANDS: 462
RESULT: DOWN 142.60

STATS: 38.2% VP$P/20.0% PFR/2.55 AF

Won at Showdown: -$188 <-- seriously, what? Really?

Biggest Hand Lost - aka He Called with WHAT?!

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($218.00)
CO ($80.75)
BTN ($63.60)
SB ($104.05)
Hero (BB) ($98.60)

UTG raises to $1.75, CO calls $1.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $7.25, UTG calls $5.50, CO folds

Flop: ($16.50, 2 players)
Hero bets $12, UTG calls $12

Turn: ($40.50, 2 players)
Hero bets $28.50, UTG calls $28.50

River: ($97.50, 2 players)
Hero goes all-in $50.85, UTG calls $50.85

Final Pot: $199.20
Hero shows:
UTG shows:

UTG wins $196.20 ( won +$97.60 )
Hero lost -$98.60
CO lost -$1.75

I just figured the guy would have put in a raise at some point in the hand if he had a big flush. So by the river I put him on a set or a middle flush most of the time and cannot fathom how he could call a final big bet with either of those hands.

Boy was I wrong. I had the Ac, so this is the naked ace bluff in action. 90% of the time that I pull something like this I have the nut flush. This opponent turned out to be... "special" though. He made these calls and less with regularity, calling off $50 with a gutshot on a paired board on the turn, things like that. I had obviously just not seen enough to realize how bad it was when I decided to make this kind of a play.

This was early in the session and put me down a quick two buyins(I'd lost one, doubled up, and then this hand happened). I spent the next 5 hours between $50 an $150 down basically.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($18.75)
UTG+1 ($78.30)
Hero (CO) ($52.90)
BTN ($25.40)
SB ($125.70)
BB ($50.75)

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.75, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $2.75

Flop: ($8.25, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $5.50, UTG+1 raises to $24.75, Hero goes all-in $49.15, UTG+1 calls $24.40

Turn: ($106.55, 2 players)

River: ($106.55, 2 players)

Final Pot: $106.55
UTG+1 shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $103.55 ( won +$50.65 )
UTG+1 lost -$52.90

This opponent is one of my favorites. He's #5 in my database as far as people I've won the most money off of. My 3-bet preflop and sticking it all in with top two pair are both things that are extremely player dependent. Note that I'm in position as far as the 3-bet goes. If I'm in a blind I just call and check/raise this flop most of the time.

This time of course I get lucky and backdoor a flush, so hooray for that.

Crushed despite having the Nuts

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($76.50)
UTG+1 ($29.40)
CO ($51.00)
BTN ($126.40)
SB ($61.50)
Hero (BB) ($62.05)

2 folds, CO raises to $1.10, BTN raises to $4.05, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.55, CO calls $2.95

Flop: ($12.40, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $10, Hero raises to $42.40, CO folds, BTN raises to $74.80, Hero goes all-in $15.60

Turn: ($145.20, 2 players)

River: ($145.20, 2 players)

Final Pot: $128.40
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

BTN wins $142.20 ( won +$63.35 )
Hero lost -$62.05
CO lost -$4.05

My call preflop is horrible. This was my very last hand of the night. I played too long, I got within like $20 of getting back to even a couple times and wanted to knock it out and get ahead, but I simply was not playing well by the end. I was seeing way too many flops in poor spots like this one and just folding weakly whenever i missed. Losing this hand snapped me out of that funk and convinced me it was time to quit finally.

The interesting thing about this hand though,is that I have the nuts on the flop. My opponent does not have the nuts on the flop. Yet because of his flush draw and impressive straight wrap, he's nearly a 70/30 favorite to win the hand. Crazy game where you can flop the nuts and be completely owned like that.

How I lost so much in non-showdown pots

4 players

Stacks:
CO ($59.80)
BTN ($50.00)
SB ($52.60)
Hero (BB) ($58.30)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 4 players) Hero is BB

CO calls $0.50, BTN raises to $2.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.75, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($7, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $7, Hero calls $7, CO folds

Turn: ($21, 2 players)
Hero bets $15, BTN goes all-in $40.75, Hero folds

Final Pot: $51

BTN wins $74.75 ( won +$24.75 )
Hero lost -$24.25
CO lost -$2.25

On the flop I decide to float out of position here, a high risk play for sure. My reasons here are that I have a backdoor club draw and I hit what Jeff Hwang(author of the books I recommended above) refers to as "the pivot card" in my partial wrap. I have QJ9, and hit a Ten on the flop. Any 8, 9, J, Q, or K on the turn gives me a fairly strong draw. And in general when I'm 'on' and everything is working, I have a lot of success floating in general and taking pots away from my opponents.

In this hand, I whiff out on the turn and decide to just take a stab at the pot, and of course fold when my opponent tells me he's got a strong hand, or figures out I'm full of shit.

This happened *far* too much last night. Looking at my 12 biggest pots lost last night, 5 of them were bet/folds, meaning I either bet out of position and got raised when I didn't have a strong enough hand to continue, or I bet in position and got check-raised off my hand.

Most of these losses occurred early and it put me in a bit of a funk, one of those evenings where nothing was going right. The end result of that is that I started crawling into a bit of a weak-tight shell, trying to catch on the flop, but just checking it down or check/folding any time I missed. That's not a good way to be.

I ran pretty good in all in pots, my all in EV was about $100 below my actual results. I felt quite lucky to only lose $140 in this session.

I did knock out $20 more in bonus money, $100/$200 cleared now.

FTP Bankroll: $1901
Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #28
Radii
Head Coach

8/6 and 8/7 - Two Days of Play

So yesterday evening the $50 PLO tables were a bit on the tight side when I sat down and I decided to play some 2/4 7-game instead. I played 3 full rounds, but really only two hands occured worth mentioning:

First PLO Round: I flop top set, JJ, on a safe board in a 3-bet pot(like J83) and somehow manage to find someone willing to go all in with KKxx. My top set holds and I win a $220 pot (2/4 7-game = $100 big bet buyins).

Second NLHE Round: I raise KJs on the button, big blind 3-bets me, I call. Flop K54, two spades. BB bets out, I raise and decide fuckit if he has AK/KQ I just lose. He goes all in, I call, he has JJ with one spade. Yeah... only one reason i'd bother mentioning the suits, amirite? Spade turn, spade river, and I lose a $180 pot as a 92/8 favorite.

I lose a small amount elsewhere and end up +$20 on the night, FTP roll at about $1920.

Today was rakeback day. I got $55 in rakeback this week. This bonus I'm working on counts against MGR (revenue I've generated for the site.. the number rakeback is calculated off of, I think it stands for 'Monthly Gross Revenue'). Anyway, the $100 I earned in bonuses is subtracted from the revenue I generate for the site, which subtracts $27 from my rakeback earned. In a non-bonus week I'd have been due $82, not bad at all.

So rakeback takes me to around $1975.

Tonight's play:

HANDS: 363
RESULT: UP $183.55

STATS: 45.2% VP$P/26.7% PFR/2.45 AF

Non Showdown Money: -$45

Couple crazy tables with lots of 3-betting and lots of 4 and 5 way pots, so lots of gambling and needing to win at showdown.

This session was *all* about the luckbox.

I ended up all in for a full stack 7 times. My Odds when the money went in:

21/79: Lost
86/14: Won
48/52: Won
45/55: Won
10/90: Won
44/56: Won
24/76: Won

Yeah... the poker gods more than made up for that little 92/8 loss last night. Thanks poker gods. I'm running about $400 over expected value on the month so far. There's gonna be a bad streak at some point, isn't there?

Oh, and I also released another $20 from my bonus tonight, $120 out of $200 down.

FTP Bankroll: $2176
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
There's gonna be a bad streak at some point, isn't there?

yes
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #30
Radii
Head Coach

I played a late Friday session after my last post, and played Saturday evening, combining those two into one here:

HANDS: 582
RESULT: UP $57.35
STATS: 42.5% VP$P/19.5% PFR/2.68% AF

I actually won $62ish Friday night and lost $5 saturday. I thought the inevitable "bad streak" was starting Saturday, about halfway through my session I was down $200 with an EV of up $15, lost 3 coinflips and a 70/30, but was able to make it back up and get almost even on the day.

Won Without Showdown: -$17

Continuing to lose money w/o showdowns is bothering me. I feel like I'm too showdown bound at times, convincing myself that a table has good value when I just make a hand and can get paid, and allowing myself to give up in lots of smaller pots where I could probably win. This small $17 loss in non showdown pots isn't due to getting c/r'd a lot or just running into guys playing abck at me all the time like it was a few days ago in a nasty session I posted... this was due to just sitting back and letting the small pots pass by while I waited for a hand way too often.

Biggest Pot Won

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($52.00)
UTG+1 ($186.55)
CO ($46.05)
BTN ($16.85)
SB ($56.35)
Hero (BB) ($74.90)

UTG raises to $1.75, 3 folds, SB calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($5.25, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets $4, SB folds, Hero raises to $15, UTG goes all-in $50.25, Hero calls $35.25

Turn: ($105.75, 2 players)

River: ($105.75, 2 players)

Final Pot: $105.75
UTG shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $102.75 ( won +$50.75 )
UTG lost -$52
SB lost -$1.75

Once I flop my wrap, even a sucker wrap(AKT has me crushed), at this level the money is going in. The only comment I have here is that my opponent in this hand raised UTG and is very tight. I would have folded had no one else called, and could have considered a fold with just one caller. Most players are not really positionally aware. Even a guy who is 18/10 preflop often plays 15% of his hands UTG and only 22% on the button, which leads me to not really giving a whole lot of consideration to what position the raise came from at times. I have to admit though, I have these numbers available to me with one click on my HUD and did not bother to check them before calling. Shame on me IMO.

I'm a 66/33 dog and suck out FTW.

Biggest Pot Lost

5 players

Stacks:
UTG ($73.40)
CO ($17.30)
Hero (BTN) ($77.45)
SB ($163.05)
BB ($50.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is BTN

UTG raises to $1.75, CO calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, 1 fold, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($7.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $6.50, CO calls $6.50, Hero raises to $33.25, BB folds, UTG goes all-in $71.65, CO goes all-in $9.05, Hero calls $38.40

Turn: ($166.10, 3 players)

River: ($166.10, 3 players)

Final Pot: $166.10
Hero shows:
UTG shows:
CO shows:

UTG wins $163.10 ( won +$89.70 )
Hero lost -$73.40
BB lost -$1.75
CO lost -$17.30

Here's another spot where I could have folded preflop but chose to defend instead, this isn't really a very strong hand. And postflop, there is a very strong case to be made for calling to see the turn, but I chose to make the more aggressive play.

My thinking: the UTG player here had been a bit weak/tight at times, so I thought i had a legit chance of getting heads up against the short stack. CO has committed 1/3 of his stack, so I can't be raising just trying to get people to fold, the CO is almost surely calling. As for his hand, its either super weak or super strong I think. Otherwise anything decent why not push all in himself to get the rest of us to fold?

So anyway I make sort of a squeeze play and end up getting called by both. I fear a set and the nut flush draw just killing me here, but I see a pretty great result. Bottom two + gutshot + worse flush draw, and top pair top kicker from the short stack(very strong or very weak whee).

And I'm in a spectacular spot really, with 47% equity to win the whole pot. UTG has 35%, short stack 18%. I wouldn't always play it like this, but making these big raises, at least at this level, just makes people spazz out sometimes it seems.

And I should note, if I had just called and turned two pair with my flush draw, I woulda led out into the big pot anyway. But calling the flop may well be the smarter play regardless.

Non Showdown Money

6 players

Stacks:
UTG ($49.50)
UTG+1 ($72.00)
CO ($85.90)
BTN ($21.30)
Hero (SB) ($75.00)
BB ($50.55)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is SB

UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, CO raises to $2.25, BTN calls $2.25, Hero calls $2, BB calls $1.75, UTG calls $1.75

Flop: ($11.25, 5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($11.25, 5 players)
Hero bets $8.50, 4 folds

Final Pot: $11.25

Hero wins $19.20 ( won +$8.45 )
BTN lost -$2.25
BB lost -$2.25
UTG lost -$2.25
CO lost -$2.25

I make a loose call out of position, something I may well be doing too often with a suited ace + very marginal other stuff.

Flop checks around 17 handed(or 5, maybe just 5). the turn gives me the nut flush draw, plus everyone checked the flop, so its time to bet. I bet most turn cards here, but the flush draw is obviously great. If I get called by one, *maybe* two people, I'm going to fire again on all rivers. The fact that some of those rivers give me the nuts is helpful.

My thinking here is that a lot of weak hands will call one bet, AJxx for example, in case I'm just stabbing at the pot. But a lot of those hands that float on the turn will fold a *lot* of river cards. If I bet the turn as a bluff or semi-bluff, I think its very weak to not bet the river most of the time.

In the course of these two sessions, I released another $20 in bonus money.

FTP Bankroll: $2254