Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DaddyTorgo's RL Dating Dynasty

Fine. Profile finished. 6 month membership paid and active.

Let's see how this goes.

Note - I have ~45 girls that I've favorited over the 8 months or a year or whatever that I said "when I signup I'll try these 45 or so first" to try to get some critical mass going, so if I actually start executing on that it should maybe get things started...if I hear back from any of them. Haha.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 07-13-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

I hope that critical mass doesn't explode too early.

/zing

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good luck.

My wife initially closed my match with her on eharmony when I didn't attempt to contact her after two months.

I had glanced at her profile and it didn't warrant the standard, "Too fat/ugly, Can't spell, or the stay at home mom job" close out. So I thought I'd get back to her eventually. I had about 2 months of ladies backlogged on 'potential matches' that I hadn't bothered checking...I was just trying to clear the obvious ones out.

I was in the middle of the cleaning out when I got the message *she* closed it. I remembered the name, looked, and told her she should get to know me.

I think it worked out.

Last edited by Poli : 07-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

indeed, gluck DT!!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Good luck.

My wife initially closed my match with her on eharmony when I didn't attempt to contact her after two months.

I had glanced at her profile and it didn't warrant the standard, "Too fat/ugly, Can't spell, or the stay at home mom job. So I thought I'd get back to her eventually. I had about 2 months of ladies backlogged on 'potential matches' that I hadn't bothered checking...I was just trying to clear the obvious ones out.

I was in the middle of the cleaning out when I got the message *she* closed it. I remembered the name, looked, and told her she should get to know me.

I think it worked out.

Aww.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Aww.
Thanks. I forgot a few words in the beginning. I meant to say I didn't initially close her because of those qualities.

I had used eharmony for 6-8 months previously...closed it out when I met a gal. Things kind of went back and forth for a while. During one of the 'forths', I signed back up for eharmony, which was followed by another "back" together period.

Since we got back together, I just let the eharmony thing lay low. Didn't check it, didn't bother to renew. It did keep sending matches, though. After two months of back and forth I got tired and moved on.

So extremely glad I did.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Good luck.

I had glanced at her profile and it didn't warrant the standard, "Too fat/ugly, Can't spell, or the stay at home mom job" close out. So I thought I'd get back to her eventually. I had about 2 months of ladies backlogged on 'potential matches' that I hadn't bothered checking...I was just trying to clear the obvious ones out.

I think it worked out.

Not into the single or married mothers?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Not into the single or married mothers?

Single moms didn't scare me. Dated a number of them. I just wanted them to have a job. Looking back, it may have been a rude rule to have...but if you listed 'stay at home mom' as the job, I closed you out without reading further.

I looked at it as this. You're staying at home to take care of your kids. Taking care of your kid(s) is important. However, putting food on the table is as well. Relying on dead beat dad and/or the government isn't the kind of value I was looking for. I just felt like, and this is personal opinion, that the moms that went to work to take care of their children were 100x more appealing to me. I wouldn't care if that meant they worked the drive thru at McDonald's or as a bigshot taking photographs of people from satellites (both of which I dated).
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As for married mothers, believe it or not, I talked to one on eharmony.

The trick to eharmony, I learned early on, is you have to be single in one fashion or another. If you're honest with them (or at least this was the case when I was getting divorced) and tell them you're getting divorced, they'll say, 'great, let us know when that happens', and keep you from using the site.

That's ridiculous, of course. You just create another account and list 'divorced' instead. I did. My divorce was going through in 2 weeks anyhow. It was a legal issue for me.

So about 6 months into dating again, I am matched with a young blonde from my town in South St. Louis who does daycare out of her home. She and I answer our questions over a day or two. She asks to call so I give her my number.

She calls and she seemed nice enough...but then she tells me she has to be honest about something. She then tells me she's 'not quite divorced' yet. In fact, they haven't filed.

HAVEN'T FILED FOR DIVORCE.

She quickly says it's because of insurance for her son. Her dad's in the Air Force and they don't want the son to lose his insurance in the event that she remarries.

That's hogwash. I was in the Navy. I know the benefits. He's either filling her a line of crap that she just blindly believes or she's trying to fill me with that line of crap and hope I blindly believed. Either way, I wasn't buying.

I politely get off the phone as quick as I can. I logged into Eharmony. I closed the match. I filed a complaint. I never heard from her again.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Okay - profile is up and running.

Today's task: determine how to get a response from sending an intro email to people I'm interested in (whether the "spend 30 seconds" or "actually take time" camp has it right).

My first guess is that it's somewhere in the middle. Good to reference the profile and likely make mention of one or two things, but keep it short, and include a question or a reason for them to check out my profile.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

How many messages will you guys typically send out at one time? I know it's a numbers-game to some degree, but what's manageable?

Reach out to 5-10 at a pop and see if there's any bites? Then rinse and repeat?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
How many messages will you guys typically send out at one time? I know it's a numbers-game to some degree, but what's manageable?

Reach out to 5-10 at a pop and see if there's any bites? Then rinse and repeat?

Eharmony matched about 5-6 a day. I couldn't see any more than they matched me with. Half the people there aren't paying I'd guess, so you can't assume everyone will respond immediately. If there was interest, I fired off the questionnaire and hoped for a response.

Never hung my hopes on a response. Never lied on a response either. I didn't have time to pretend I was someone else.

I didn't "fast track" and avoid the questions. I wanted the buffer.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eharmony matched about 5-6 a day. I couldn't see any more than they matched me with. Half the people there aren't paying I'd guess, so you can't assume everyone will respond immediately. If there was interest, I fired off the questionnaire and hoped for a response.

Never hung my hopes on a response. Never lied on a response either. I didn't have time to pretend I was someone else.

I didn't "fast track" and avoid the questions. I wanted the buffer.

Yeah - I don't plan on lying at all. And like I said - I'm a salesguy...i recognize that it's a numbers game, so I expect like...a sub-10% response rate (I figure 5% would be great).
Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Yeah - I don't plan on lying at all. And like I said - I'm a salesguy...i recognize that it's a numbers game, so I expect like...a sub-10% response rate (I figure 5% would be great).

I got a lot of responses...probably more than 10%, but I couldn't guess the number honestly...that being ones I requested and responded.

I was amazed at the amount of 'white' lies or exaggerations made in my case. Most were not huge deals but just fluff. I was straightforward about who I was and what I wanted. I didn't include some photo from HS. I put photos of me with my boys and pictures from work.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow. More than 10%? Yikes. Maybe I'll have to be pickier. Shot off 5 emails tonight. Then again...while I'm getting my feet wet dating too often would actually be a huge help since I'm inexperienced.

I did find one woman tonight who sounded like the female version of me, so I shot her off one of my emails today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by profile

what you see is what you get

I don't know how to date so I'm looking for someone who won't play games with me. I believe that when your with the right person you can have the time of your life doing nothing together. I love anything to do with love and I still believe in living happily ever after!

Specifically the bit about "the time of your life doing nothing together" was something I highlighted in my profile.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow. More than 10%? Yikes. Maybe I'll have to be pickier. Shot off 5 emails tonight. Then again...while I'm getting my feet wet dating too often would actually be a huge help since I'm inexperienced.

I did find one woman tonight who sounded like the female version of me, so I shot her off one of my emails today:

Specifically the bit about "the time of your life doing nothing together" was something I highlighted in my profile.

Just a suggestion, and take it with a grain of salt, but lose the "won't play games with me" bit. I automatically pass if a female that has in their profile, and I'm sure quality women do the same with guys. Be upbeat, funny, and positive.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just a suggestion, and take it with a grain of salt, but lose the "won't play games with me" bit. I automatically pass if a female that has in their profile, and I'm sure quality women do the same with guys. Be upbeat, funny, and positive.

LMAO...no....that was her profile...not mine.

I don't say that in mine.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yeah, I'd stay away from what the average profile says, like Galaxy mentioned. It'll help you stand out.

I'm sure you've already seen the 'games' thing mentioned a hundred times.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'd stay away from what the average profile says, like Galaxy mentioned. It'll help you stand out.

I'm sure you've already seen the 'games' thing mentioned a hundred times.

True that. Yeah...that was her profile, not mine.

I feel like my responses would get smiles and did leave openings for responses (asked some sort of question). Kept them short...under 5 sentences.

Will fire off 5 or so more later.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

5 more fired off. 10 off now...still no responses yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
5 more fired off. 10 off now...still no responses yet.

If you need the number of a hot 30 year old woman from St Louis, let me know. Only problem is she has a felony. And she is bat crazy.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Autumn
Head Coach

Poli, could you plot her on this scale please?

Last edited by Autumn : 07-16-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

What if you say "Will play games with me" and then list a bunch of board games?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Poli, could you plot her on this scale please?

The felony puts her off the chart, fortunately.

She's got enough hotness that I put up with it for a while.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
What if you say "Will play games with me" and then list a bunch of board games?

"Will play games with you...such as Monopoly, Connect Four, Scrabble, Clue, ect."

I think that would be a good line in a profile-provided you do play board games; a girl with a good personality might laugh at it.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Update

I was sick the second half of last week with a killer fever and so did nothing in terms of emailing or searching or anything.

I did send out 15 emails between Sunday and Tuesday night when I first got sick though. Zero responses. 1 girl that I emailed actually bothered to view my profile, but didn't email me back. Of course she was a) probably one of the top 2-3 in terms of attractiveness that I emailed, and b) also the one who really said the least in her profile, so that I didn't really have much to go with in my initial email to her.

My initial emails were all pretty similar: try to display a little bit of humor and show that i actually read her profile or have a connection (in one case a fellow alum of my college), and ask a couple questions (based on her stated interests or her profile if at all possible) to try to get a response.

We'll see how this week goes.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm betting you get to 200 emails sent out before you get a response that isn't some spambot or scammer.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm betting you get to 200 emails sent out before you get a response that isn't some spambot or scammer.

Hopefully not that many!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm just going based off my own experiences. That's why I pretty much got to the fuck what ya heard stage of Interwebz dating sites.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just going based off my own experiences. That's why I pretty much got to the fuck what ya heard stage of Interwebz dating sites.

Might be. Well it'll be an interesting experiment either way.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't know that I received a spambot or scammer message. There was one woman who didn't seem to measure up to what she said she was. I was very cautious when I wrote her as a result. We talked on the phone a few times, but I had no inclination to believe what she told me. She eventually drifted away.

I don't recall having the ability to see who viewed my profile. I can't recall having that option. I can't believe that would have been good for my ego.

Just remember, this is a pay site and it's quite possible a number of the profiles were created without paying for them. I initially created a profile at eharmony without paying for it. It wasn't until I started getting messages of "so and so would like to communicate with you" before I bought in. I weighed my options versus the cost at that.

I did meet a lot of women through eharmony in St. Louis, but I assure you that there were dozens that I did not meet because they were simply not paying members.

My advice is not to concern yourself and to keep trying. I like that you're trying to personalize your messages based on the information that they provide. I've heard many stories about how guys would just send out generic messages. Taking the extra step to personalize isn't too hard and worth it, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I got the most responses when I was short and funny and used something from their profile. I think I posted a few examples in the Online Dating thread a few months ago.

Of course, it took some time to think of some of those, and I found it to be too time consuming (just the communication and knowing I needed to send out a lot to likely get just a few responses), so it wasn't long before I said screw it and stopped. But I did get responses, at least.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I got the most responses when I was short and funny and used something from their profile. I think I posted a few examples in the Online Dating thread a few months ago.

Of course, it took some time to think of some of those, and I found it to be too time consuming (just the communication and knowing I needed to send out a lot to likely get just a few responses), so it wasn't long before I said screw it and stopped. But I did get responses, at least.

Yeah - mine have been short (4-5 sentences), humorous, and definitely reference their profile in some way. I think I'm covering that side of it. Maybe I've just messaged a bunch of people who aren't actually paying members...dumb luck like that.

Anyways - I'll be stepping it up again this week, so we'll see.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know why, but I thought you were a lawyer. (Seriously.)

Quote:
LMAO...no....that was her profile...not mine.

I don't say that in mine.

I was going to say something more, but I thought I would leave at that.

Quote:
I don't know that I received a spambot or scammer message. There was one woman who didn't seem to measure up to what she said she was. I was very cautious when I wrote her as a result. We talked on the phone a few times, but I had no inclination to believe what she told me. She eventually drifted away.

I don't recall having the ability to see who viewed my profile. I can't recall having that option. I can't believe that would have been good for my ego.

Just remember, this is a pay site and it's quite possible a number of the profiles were created without paying for them. I initially created a profile at eharmony without paying for it. It wasn't until I started getting messages of "so and so would like to communicate with you" before I bought in. I weighed my options versus the cost at that.

I did meet a lot of women through eharmony in St. Louis, but I assure you that there were dozens that I did not meet because they were simply not paying members.

My advice is not to concern yourself and to keep trying. I like that you're trying to personalize your messages based on the information that they provide. I've heard many stories about how guys would just send out generic messages. Taking the extra step to personalize isn't too hard and worth it, in my opinion.

I don't know how eHarmony works, but I absolutely hate the fact that you can't tell who is a paying member or not on match-unless they have a green background thing on their profile because they paid for a 6 month subscription.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - it's a bit nuts. I've slacked off on sending out my daily (self-imposed) quota of messages since I had that bad fever for like 4 days and just haven't gotten back into the routine of it, but I intend to today.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

One of the main reasons I stopped paying for match.com was all of the bots/scammers. Didn't recognize it at first, but, then I would read these "different women's" profiles and think that there's something awfully familiar about what I'm reading. Some of them would actually cut and paste the same paragraph 3 times in their own profile. Then of course when they used the same pictures of the same porn actress, that was kind of a red flag as well.

Never mind all of the abandoned profiles that hadn't been active in not just a few months, but, had no activity for YEARS. Great algorithm match, please send me more of my daily matches of women who haven't visited the site since Bush was president.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't think you were told if a woman had an active account on eharmony, but some would say, "I only check this on free weeks or weekends" or "I am waiting for another price special before becoming a paying member again".

It may have changed in the past few years, but I would doubt it.

I'm sort of jealous that there's an eharmony app for the phone. I would have been completely dangerous with an app.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

Where's our update? :P

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've slacked off and haven't been emailing people every night like I said I would.

Thanks for holding me accountable - I'll get back to it today/tonight.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Back to sending out emails the last couple days.

Still no responses at all.

Maybe I ought to try eharmony too? Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

I've thought about eharmony myself, simply because match seems to have like a 0.5% response rate, if that.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Eharmony was the site I used for approximately 95% of my dates.

I'd swear by it.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap. I just got my first inbound email from someone on match.com.

Not really someone I'm attracted to...but hey...at least I know the website is alive.

My father also mentioned that he was talking to a (younger) coworker who had a younger sister around my age who was single, and he said he/they were going to set the two of us up.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #45
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Holy crap. I just got my first inbound email from someone on match.com.

Not really someone I'm attracted to...but hey...at least I know the website is alive.

My father also mentioned that he was talking to a (younger) coworker who had a younger sister around my age who was single, and he said he/they were going to set the two of us up.

Well, what happened?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #46
Izulde
Head Coach

Heh, so I wandered back on to eharmony, changed my info, etc. to Las Vegas and cleared out my old matches from like six years ago.

Clicked the Find New Matches button and "We're unable to find you matches."

Sheesh, even eharmony thinks I'm destined to a life of platonic relationships.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #47
Poli
FOFC Survivor

They may just need a day to re-establish some connections? I don't know. I got nothing outside of that.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

None of the women who I am sending emails OUT to have gotten back to me. The only two emails I've gotten coming in have been from girls who I am definitely not physically attracted to.

To be blunt, I didn't lose close to 100lbs so that I could be with a chubby girl. I could have done that quite easily when I was fat. I want someone who's in shape.

But...just to get dating experience (of which I have precious little...like ummm...none?) I'm going to at least meet these girls for coffee and use it as practice.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Izulde
Head Coach

Good deal. Get the XP by engaging lvl 1 opponents.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good deal. Get the XP by engaging lvl 1 opponents.

Haha. Yep!