Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Why I'm Pissed Off At You, FOFC

I think most people on this board know me well enough to know that I'm not someone who gets mad typically. It's happened a handful of times in my bajillion years on this forum. Maybe two or three tops. And I think they were all in WW games. That's just not my style.

So, with that caveat aside, there's something that has been happening on FOFC for a looooong time, but recently I feel that it's worsening. That is the takeover of threads by some posters who turn the thread from its intended point into attacks on each other, and others.

One example? A thread on the NFL offseason to discuss free agency, draft, coaching changes has become a haven of people attacking fan bases and each other.

Its very frustrating for me to wade through all of these dumb posts thread after thread after thread to try to unearth what the thread was supposed to be about in the meantime.

I know that its not a new thing, but I feel like its become so ubiquitous, that my time on FOFC has gone from fun to pissing me off. Maybe its not any more than ever, and my tolerance level for it has morphed after years of exposure to it.

I love you folks. I love FOFC. I cannot imagine my life without it. But increasingly, I've become more and more pissed off at these annoying attacks against friends and colleagues.

And I'm sharing this with you in the hope of starting a productive dialogue. Is this annoying you too? Is there something we can do about it?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

People can stop being asshats.

No really - I think it's just common courtesy. Stop trying to rile each other up through digs/attacks/etc.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Abe, I have a feeling my post in that thread put you over the top, and it is a mean post. I believe that poster acts like a complete jack hole at times and he deserves the tongue lashing, to be frank. But you're right that my post is not necessary. So I am going to go delete it after I post this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I appreciate that CR< but my goal is NOT to call out anyone. Just to point out what I believe to be a strong trend and ask where we go from here.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

I get annoyed by the attacks and characterizations of fanbases, and the obsession with referees. I either ignore it, or get involved in epic multi-page rants/arguments about it. I think I ignore more now than I did say, 5 years ago, so, progress. I know I'm not helping the environment when I respond to it though, so, I'll try to just skim through that stuff.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jaguars fans(or is it fan) are poppyhead idiot(s)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm all in favor of anger that results in getting rid of the impossible to read and follow monster threads. Fight on!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

Our moderators suck so so bad.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm pissed that there hasn't been a Dungeon 3 yet
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

This just couldn't wait until Festivus, huh?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This thread needs more cowbell.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

When I read the OP, I thought maybe it was a thread originally from 5 years ago. You've really been around since 2001? This is pretty much the most calm place I hang out on the internet.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This is pretty much the most calm place I hang out on the internet.

I sort of agree. I think it's not too bad considering how long many of us have "cyber-known" each other now, there are bound to be issues.

We have some known trolls hanging around but the rest of the stuff that leads to attacks are either machismo poking turned bad or political/religious differences.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I've been a member here for a long time, but I'm not one of the "regulars". I've met just one member and consider him a pretty good guy. Still, I come here once a day primarily because I either find an interesting story I wouldn't normally see, read some lively discussions that are definitely above the median internet intellect level. Frankly, I like the banter between people here. Are there some that decide to make things more personal than it should be? Sure. I've been ticked off just a few times from people who decide they need to just be a-holes just to be a-holes. But overall, this is one of the most civilized places I frequent. Overall, this "community" is amazingly supportive of one another. It's a wonderful change from the spew of hate you see on a lot of main stream discussion boards.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Christ, the OP plays Magic for crying out loud
Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Welcome to the internet.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I've been a member here for a long time, but I'm not one of the "regulars". I've met just one member and consider him a pretty good guy. Still, I come here once a day primarily because I either find an interesting story I wouldn't normally see, read some lively discussions that are definitely above the median internet intellect level. Frankly, I like the banter between people here. Are there some that decide to make things more personal than it should be? Sure. I've been ticked off just a few times from people who decide they need to just be a-holes just to be a-holes. But overall, this is one of the most civilized places I frequent. Overall, this "community" is amazingly supportive of one another. It's a wonderful change from the spew of hate you see on a lot of main stream discussion boards.

Colt great post and I agree with it all.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-12-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
considering how long many of us have "cyber-known" each other now

Why does that sound dirty? "Cyber-know me, baby. Cyber-know me real good."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote