Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Murph
n00b

Football Sim Play Calling

In a new football sim game, how would you like to see play calling implemented?

Please be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance for any input you offer!

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It depends on the type of game really. It needs to simple enough to understand yet have enough going on that all the plays don't feel the same. Somehow you need to have lots of options, but yet it needs to be easy to get to the play you want.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

For me, it depends on the type of game.

If it's a 2D/3D physics and AI determines everything type of game (something that looks like Football Manager), I want full-blown real NFL type play calls. Every Madden is too basic. I want the real deal with play calling in a game like that. Route adjustments from running a different route to just adjusting the route. Like you run a slant vs. zone, the WR cuts sharper, a Post route converts to more like an In route if there's a free safety in the middle of the field, etc. QBs read the defense (not makes a saving throw, but the AI is actually reading the defense) and makes adjustments, etc. And these adjustments are built into the play usually.

If it's like FOF, where it's a bunch of dice rolls, I'd want more abstract type of play calling. This is probably an unpopular opinion and 100% contrary to what I might have said at the time, but actual plays and playbooks in FOF killed my interest in the game. It got old and frustrating very quickly. I feel like it just added too much detail relative to the type of game FOF was overall. For a game like FOF, I'd prefer play calling to be by play type of maybe even by concept. Like you call a Dagger Concept or a Mills Concept or Trap Run and the game works out the rest from there (IOW have the offense be more like the defense in FOF), rather than detailed, individual plays. Just my wrong opinion...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Murph
n00b

GrantDawg... My question is really about what you like... if it's specific to the type of game it is, then what do you want in a game and what do you want in playcalling within that game.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
Murph
n00b

For me, I just started playing FOF not too long ago. I'm new to it. I like the idea. I don't like the way it's implemented. Specifically on the defensive side of the ball. It's like there is no REAL knowledge of defense and defensive philosophy, and also no real knowledge of how to call plays defensively. Finally, after testing a lot, it's weird to me that the top CBs get beat 75%+ of the time in this game, no matter how good the receiver is. THIS is what got me thinking about this.

I play DDS Pro Football. I like the implementation there a little better. But, the community as a whole, doesn't want to use the playcalling setup. I understand it can be a lot of work, but to me, that's the fun of a football sim. To match wits with your opponent.

Finally, I've played Goal Line Blitz since season 1 (it's season 87 now). It didn't have the playcalling it has now. I'm one of the top DCs in the game, and I like to think it's because of the play creation and play calling system. To me, while this game is unrealistic in many ways because of the meta game response to the game, and the lack of changes for 45+ seasons, the play creation and play calling system are wide open. You can create your own down and distance calls, or you can create calls specifically for certain personnel groups. It is open only to your own ideas. To me, THAT is what strategy is all about, and that truly what I want in a game.

I've played other games also, but there isn't much to say about them. Every game has a little something of interest. I wish all these creators would take some time to play other games, see what they are doing, and add on. I also wish players in some games weren't lazy or whatever and actually use the features a game has to offer. The creators put a lot of thought, time, and effort into creating them...

In the end, I want as much strategy in the game as possible. The more strategy options I have, the more I'll enjoy the game.