molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS WRESTLING (LIVE TV SHOW)
Wednesday, Week 2, May 1985
Dallas, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 4,579; Ticket Prices: default
Actual Attendance: 4,634

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Kerry Von Erich defeats Perry Jackson in 6:47 by pinfall. (B-)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Doug Somers & Steve Olsonoski defeat Charlie Cook & Dusty Wolfe in 6:44 by pinfall when Somers pinned Wolfe. (C-) After the match, Somers and Olsonoski cut a promo accepting the challenge laid out by Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware for a match at Parade of Champions. Somers and Olsonoski say it was gutsy for Eaton & Ware to challenge a team they've already lost to, to a match at the biggest show of the year. (C+)

-As the show starts, a highlight video recaps last week's main even World Six-Man Tag Title match between Backlund/Sullivan/Murdoch and David/Funk/Hennig that ended in a double DQ. (B)

-Lance Russell announces that tonight, due to the controversial finish of last week's main event match, the teams will meet again tonight for the World Six-Man Tag Team Titles. Russell says that in order to ensure a decisive winner, the match will be contested under elimination (aka Survivor Series)r ules. Russell also states that to ensure that the match is given maximum time, it will be the first match on tonight's show. Finally, Russell announces that tonight's match has importance beyond even the World Six-Man Tag Title, as the winning team will earn the right to decide the stipulations in the Backlund/David and Murdoch/Hennig matches at Parade of Champions. (B-)

-Backstage, WCCW TV Champion Arturo Mendoza stands with Commissioner Jose Lothario and the rolling drum of volunteer challengers for the TV Title. Before Mendoza can draw a name, says Lothario, he has an announcement to make about the TV title. The TV title, says Lothario, is already the most grueling championship in all of wrestling, with mandatory weekly title defenses. However, the title is about to get even more grueling. Lothario says that starting at Parade of Champions, the TV Title will be defended at each and every monthly PPV/Closed Circuit event. And for those events, instead of a random challenger, the champion will face a contender named by the WCCW Championship Committee. The Championship Committee has determined that at Parade of Champions, the challenger for the TV title will be determined by the outcome of tonight's huge six-man tag match. If Terry Funk's team wins, he gets the title shot, and if Kevin Sullivan's team wins, he gets the title shot. Lothario emphasizes that there's no guarantee that Mendoza will still be TV Champion come Parade of Champions, and that whoever holds the gold at that time will defend against one of those men. Mendoza then draws his challenger for tonight - Mr. Pogo. (B-)

-WCCW World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match
-Winners Decide Stipulations For Parade of Champions Matches
-Elimination Rules
-#1 Contender For TV Title Determined (Between Funk & Sullivan).
Bob Backlund, Dick Murdoch, & Kevin Sullivan (w/Ray Stevens) defeat David Von Erich, Curt Hennig, & Terry Funk in 29:53 to make their 4th defense of the six-man tag titles. (B). Funk & Backlund looked good. The order of elimination was as follows:
-Kevin Sullivan pinned Terry Funk (3-2, advantage heels)
When Funk got back towards the locker room area, he was attacked from behind by Sullivan and Murdoch, while Backlund and Hennig were the legal men in the ring. (C+). Hennig fell for the trap and rushed to his mentor's aid, which led to:
-Curt Hennig was counted out (3-1, advantage heels)
Sullivan, Murdoch, and Backlund worked on David's left arm for the rest of the match.
-David Von Erich pinned Kevin Sullivan (2-1, advantage heels)
-David Von Erich made Dick Murdoch submit (1-1, even)
-Bob Backlund made a weakened David Von Erich submit to win the match

-After the bell rang, Bob Backlund refused to release his submission hold on David's arm, until Curt Hennig ran to the ring to make the save. Murdoch and Sullivan also returned, and Hennig quickly dispatched them to the outside. The heels regrouped near the announce table, where Ray Stevens cut a promo hyping his stable's win. He notes that as the result of the win, Kevin Sullivan will now receive a TV Title shot at Parade of Champions. Also, Stevens says he now gets to choose the stipulations for the Backlund/David and Murdoch/Stevens matches at Parade of Champions. Stevens says that while Hennig is an excellent wrestlers, he's still not tough enough to hang with the big boys. So, says Stevens, Hennig's match with Murdoch will be a Bunkhouse Brawl - come as you are (no ring gear), no countouts, no DQ, weapons are legal, pinfalls count anywhere. Finally, says Stevens, since David Von Erich has proved tonight that he's a quitter, his match for the Backlund's World Title at Parade of Champions will be a submission match. (C)

-Bill Mercer ran his 2-minute "update" segment, which recapped the goings-on in WCCW. Specifically, he announced several new matches for Parade of Champions. First King Kong Bundy has accepted a challenge laid out by his former manager Gary Hart to face the Ugandan Giant Kamala. Also, Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware will try to avenge their upset loss against Steve Olsonoski & Doug Somers. Kevin Sullivan will face the TV Champion, whoever that may be. Antonio Inoki is still searching for an "international superstar" to face. (D+)

-Lance Russell interviews WCCW Cruiserweight Champion Mike Von Erich about the upcoming "Intentional Cruiserweight Open", which is a triple threat match between 3 Cruiserweights to determine Mike's challenger at Parade of Champions. Mike discusses each competitor - from Japan, Mitsuharu Misawa; from the UK, Les Thorton; and from the USA, Ricky Morton. Mike notes that Morton is his former tag team partner (the two held the WWA Tag Team Championship 2 years ago). (C+)

-Mike Von Erich is introduced as a guest ring announcer for the International Cruiserweight Open match. He comes to the announce table and joins Fritz Von Erich and Lance Russell. (C)

-International Cruiserweight Open
-Triple Threat Match (One Fall To A Finish)
-Winner faces Mike Von Erich for Cruiserweight Title at Parade of Champions.
Les Thorton defeats Mitsuharu Misawa and Ricky Morton in 6:48 when he pinned Misawa. Thorton dismantled the opposition in a dominating victory. (B). After the match, Thorton cut a promo hyping his match with Mike at Parade of Champions. (C+)

-WCCW Television Championship Match
Arturo Mendoza defeats Mr. Pogo in 6:56 by pinfall to make his 2nd defense of the TV Title. (B)

-A video hypes Gary Hart & Ox Baker's "workout regiment" for Kamala, which largely involves Ox Baker striking Kamala with fists and chairs to little effect. (C+)

-A video hypes the feud between Kevin/Kerry Von Erich & The Sheepherders, which dates back to the latter defeating the former for the World Tag Team Titles several months ago. Kevin came into the match injured after an attack by the Road Warriors, and the Sheepherders finished the job, putting Kevin out of action for several months. Since then, the champs have often mocked Kevin and his injury on TV. (B-)

-Backstage, Kevin & Kerry cut a promo hyping their tag team title shot against The Sheepherders at Parade of Champions, and also Kevin's 1-on-1 match tonight against the man who ended his amazing TV Title run - Sheepherder Butch Miller. Kerry says he will be in Kevin's corner tonight, to mitigate any interference from Skandor Akbar. (C+)

-Kevin Von Erich (w/Kerry Von Erich) defeats Butch Miler (w/Skandor Akbar) by submission in 8:43. (B-) Akbar tried to interfere during the match, but Kerry limited his impact. The two showed poor chemistry.

Overall Show Rating: B-

THOUGHTS:

-A lot of good stuff here, but nothing great to push us any higher than B-.

-The six-man went on first because of the low rating of that matchup last week. Of course, here, they pull off a "B". There was a lot at stake in that match, and now the deck is stacked in the Federation's favor for Parade of Champions. This might have been the final WCCW match in Terry Funk's current run.

-Kevin needed a win here to start building up his momentum after his injury absence. I have high hopes for the tag team title match at Parade of Champions.

-A "B" rating for Mendoza/Pogo is solid - that's exactly the kind of reliability I want in a TV Champion. It'll be Mendoza v. Sullivan at Parade of Champions if Mendoza can hold onto the belt that long.

-The TV Champion will now defend the title at every PPV/Closed Circuit event against a challenger selected by the Championship Committee. I still love the random weekly challenger setup, and that won't change, but I wanted a belt for midcarders to be able to aspire to, instead of just hoping that their names gets randomly drawn each week. I had considered bringing back the Texas Heavyweight Title for that purpose (and retiring the Cruiserweight Title), but now the TV Title can be the best of both worlds.

-I was very pleasantly surprised with the Cruiserweight Open Match. I had original planned on running a 4-man tournament, but after negotiations with Hector Guerrero didn't work out, I decided to just have a single, triple-threat match. I think Les Thorton was the key to the match, he's doing really well in this universe (multiple time AWA tag champion with the Iron Shiek), and I think he'd be a good fit with us. It's too bad I only have him for two more appearances on a loan contract. It's no slam dunk that Mike retains, I might have Thorton win and then disappear, taking the Cruiserweight belt with him. Thorton is slotted as an uppermidcard heel with a "British Bulldog" gimmick.

Last edited by molson : 07-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #952
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights View Post
I'm hoping there is a massive heel turn for Bundy once he builds up his popularity, turn on kevin, massive heat, yadda yadda yadda.

BUNDY SHOULD FOREVER BE A HEEL!

Great Dynasty, its taken on a life of its own.

Ya, there's a strong chance that Bundy's face run doesn't go anywhere and he goes crawling back to Gary Hart.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #953
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bundy is working on a stand up routine in the North West. I can only imagine how good it will be.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #954
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Georgia Championship Wrestling going national created the potential for some serious challenges for us, and now, those challenges have doubled. The AWA has risen to national status, allowing them to sign wrestlers to exclusive contracts. We're now the clear #3 in the wrestling landscape, which is not a happy place to be.

-AWA has thrown their weight around immediately, and the results are shocking - they have offered contracts to Dick Murdoch, Curt Hennig, Bob Backlund, and Ox Baker. All could be gone soon. To say that losing those guys on the eve of Parade of Champions would change the direction of WCCW is an understatement.

-The rise of Georgia and the AWA makes us incredibly vulnerable - everyone on the roster (except for the Von Erichs) could go at any time. Of course, that also makes this game a whole lot more fun. Our own race to national status is obviously more urgent than ever, but it's still not likely to happen before 1986. I can hold out hope though, that a better TV deal, which I'm in a good position to get, might accelerate our climb.

-Georga and the AWA won't just impact us in terms of poaching workers, it will also make it harder to sign big stars - those promotions at national status will increase the popularity of their employees, and those workers, even if fired by one of the "big two", will be less willing to work for a "small" Cult sized promotion like WCCW.

-From now on, we need to target guys who are released by either the AWA or Geogria - as at least I know that those guys won't resign with their former company for six months. That cuts the risk of losing them by half, I guess.

-Roddy Piper is late for the last show. His contract is days away from expiring, so I just fine him. I'm tempted to fire him to make a point, but I don't want to risk a bad relationship with him in case I want to use him down the road. So it's somewhat fitting, then, that Piper shows up late to his last show. I would consider negotiating with him again, after the shocking AWA offers, but now it's just too late in the contract for that to work - Piper is moving on.

-Ox Baker was also late. That's a first offense for him, so he gets a warning.

-The TV show delivers a 5.07 rating. That's a jump from last week's 4.97, as we're back above the 5.0 mark. I'm leaning toward canceling our TV deal after the next show, giving me a week and a half to find a better time slot. That leaves us without TV the week of Parade of Champions, but I'll run some kind of supershow Parade of Champions preview live event in Dallas that week.

-Sika won the Mid-South TV Title from Stan Lane.

-My latest attempt to find an outside opponent for Antonio Inoki at Parade of Champions has failed, as Nick Bockwinkle feels we're "too small". I've gone to plan B and have made a decision on what to do with Inonki at Parade of Champions. That will be revealed at the next TV Show

-Ricky Morton complains about his push. He has two appearances left on his loan contract so I'm not worried about it.

-Buddy Roberts (who I brought in on a loan contract a while ago) is getting antsy about not being used. I have a couple of variations of Freebird angles in mind, but for creative reasons, they keep getting pushed back.

-Greg Valentine & Ric Flair won the ACW tag team championship from Steve Kerin & Manny Fernandez. Keirn and Fernandez had held the belts for almost 7 months.

-I had requested negotiations with Enrique Vera as a cheap replacement for Hector Guerrero, but now that I ran the triple threat match, Vera's services won't be required, so I cancel negotiations.

-The Junkyard Dog, who had been sitting on the sidelines since January, has signed with ACW.

-So the Parade of Champions Card is basically complete, though it may be ravaged by ACW and/or the AWA over the next few weeks:

-WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
-Submission Match
Bob Backlund v. David Von Erich

-WCCW World Tag Team Championship Match
The Sheepherders v. Kevin & Kerry Von Erich

TV Champion (TBD) v. Kevin Sullivan

-WCCW Cruiserweight Championship Match
Mike Von Erich v. Les Thorton

-Bunkhouse Brawl
Curt Hennig v. Dick Murdoch

-Kamala, The Ugandan Giant v. King Kong Bundy

-The Grapplers v. The Villanos

-Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware v. Steve Olsonoski & Doug Somers

-Antonio Inoki v. Opponent TBD

-20-Man Battle Royal

Last edited by molson : 07-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #955
molson
General Manager

THE STARS OF WORLD CLASS ON TOUR
Monday, Week 3, May 1985
Dallas, TX (Mid-South/Texas - Very Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 2,175 Ticket prices: Default
Actual Attendance: 2,000 (SOLD OUT)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Dusty Wolfe drew with Mitsuharu Misawa in 5:41 by double count-out. (C)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Grappler #2 (w/Grappler #1) defeats Owen Hart in 7:45 by pinfall. (D+). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match the Grapplers cut a promo hyping their Parade of Champions tag match with their fellow masked tag team, The Villanos. (C)

-Ray Stevens and his Federation stable (Backlund, Murdoch, Sullivan, & McMahon) came to the ring and cut a promo hyping their Parade of Champions matches (Backlund v. David, Hennig v. Murdoch, and Sullivan v. The TV Champion). The also hyped their matches on tonight's card - Murdoch/Sullivan v. Olsonoski/Somers, and Bob Backlund in a non-title match v. Terry Funk. Stevens mocks Funk for his early exit from the elimination six-man tag match on TV last week, and especially the way Funk was beat up and humiliated on his way back to the dressing room. (C-). The insults continue for a few more minutes until an enraged-looking Terry Funk comes out of the locker room area with a fire extinguisher. Without a word, Funk sprays all of the heels with the fire extinguisher, disorienting them long enough to be able to attack the whole group, 1-on-5, with a steel chair, sending them flying from the ring and back to the locker room. (C+). Funk cuts a promo and says that with David Von Erich & Curt Hennig not in the arena tonight, the Federation probably thought they'd have an easy night. But Funk says he has revenge on his mind after the post-match attack on him last week, and the Federation better watch their backs. (B)

-Before the next match starts, Kamala, The Ugandan Giant attacks his opponent, Villano V. (B-)

-Kamala (w/Ox Baker & Gary Hart) defeat Villano V in 7:29 by submission (B-). After the match, Gary Hart cut a promo hyping how every win brings him more money, and brings him and closer to WCCW dominance - Hart took a huge financial risk on Kamala and it is paying off. Hart says that Parade of Champions, will be his biggest payday yet, when Kamala squashes King Kong Bundy (C)

-Non-Title Match
The Sheepherders (w/Skandor Akbar) defeat Billy Robinson & Mark Youngblood in 6:35 when Miller pinned Youngblood. (C+) After the match, Akbar hypes his team's tag team title defense at Parade of Champions against Kerry & Kevin Von Erich

-Kevin Von Erich defeats Grappler #1 (w/Grappler #2) in 11:34 by submission. (B)

-Doug Somers & Steve Olsonoski defeat Dick Murdoch & Kevin Sullivan (w/Ray Stevens) when Olsonoski pinned Sullivan after interference from Terry Funk. (C). Sullivan looked good.

-Non-Title Match
Terry Funk defeats Bob Backlund (w/Ray Stevens) by pinfall in 23:53 despite interference from the entire Federation stable. (B). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, Funk drove off the entire Federation again, with a steel chair and and the ring bell. Outside the ring, Bob Backlund threw a tantrum, over his loss, and the general embarrassment Funk caused his stable on tonight's show. (B+). Funk grabbed a mic and cut a promo addressing Backlund, who was standing with Ray Stevens in the entrance-way towards the locker room. Funk said that Backlund looked embarrassed, but if the champ wanted another shot at wrestling him, he could defend the World Title against him on the TV show this week. Stevens shot down the suggestion immediately. Funk then upped the ante - he said that if Backlund puts the World Title on the line against him this week on the TV show, Funk will leave WCCW if he loses. After consultation, Stevens and Backlund agree (B+)

Overall Show Rating: C+

THOUGHTS:

-Dissapointing show rating, though this was a show that served a purpose - which does tend to lower our rating (where there's a couple of things I feel like I have to do)

-If there was an internet in 1985, they'd be buzzing about the Backlund/Funk World Title match this Wednesday on TV. Funk's contract is known to be up in the next 10 days, and Backlund is negotiating with the AWA. I have a couple of different scenarios in place, depending on what happens.... It's too bad though, that Backlund/Funk have such bad chemistry. That was definitely a disappointing match

-Terry Funk just went nuts tonight, making the entire Federation look foolish. This will all come to a head in the next week or so, with the future direction of WCCW at stake.

-Big win for Olsonoski/Somers, albeit by tainted means. That'll give them some momentum going into their Parade of Champions match against Eaton/Ware. Once we get to national status, I'll utilize tag teams much more (since at national, you're playing people a monthly rate, so tag team matches don't cost double, like they do at lower than national status). So I'm trying to develop a team here or there in the meantime, just to see what can develop. Tonight was a big opportunity for Olsonoski/Somers, and they didn't really deliver from a match quality standpoint

-Robinson/Youngblood managed a better match rating against The Sheepherders. Robinson continues his "teaming with younger wrestlers" gimmick. He and Youngblood have the best chemistry of any of the Robinson tag teams.

-Kevin's win over Grappler #1 was Kevin's highest-rated match in 1985 (though he missed about 2 months via injury, and was pretty banged up even before that). Grappler #1 is very solid.

-Kamala and Villano V had a nice match to start the show - I don't expect much from Kamala/Bundy at Parade of Champions, but after that, I look forward to seeing how he does against top talent.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #956
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Our fears have been realized, as Curt Hennig & Dick Murdoch have given their 7-day notice - they're off to the AWA. Interestingly - no word about Bob Backlund yet, even though he was negotiating at the same time. Michael Hayes has also signed with the AWA - I'm not sure if that will impact his 3-appearance loan contract he current has with us. I don't believe it will.

-Murdoch and Hennig will obviously be missed - I'll have more reflections once they're gone for good. Their bunkhouse brawl match at Parade of Champions is out the window.

-The AWA also signs Adrian Adonis, Sgt. Slaughter, & Lou Albano

-The draw with Dusty Wolfe ends the loan contract of Mitsuharu Misawa. He finishes 1-1-1 here (fulfilling my house rule that loaned workers can't have losing records)

-Ricky Morton & Buddy Roberts complain about their push

-Terry Gordy arrived late - this is the second time in a week or two, but I may need him with all the craziness going around, so he just gets a fine.

-I request negotiations, again, with Buddy Rose. Rose had an incredible 3-match run with us last spring (3-straight "A" rated matches), and I've been trying to get him ever since. Fritz, however, caps me at $2,378/show, about $100/less than what it will take. Fritz is really cramping my style. I don't know what I can do to make him loosen the wallet - I suppose, having more money in the bank, and letting go of some contracts (Piper has recently departed, and the AWA is signing away some of our talent).

-One again, the dirt sheets hype Charlie Cook as a future star.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #957
molson
General Manager

Wednesday, Week 3, May 1985
Lincoln, NE (Midwest - Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 4,350; Ticket Prices: $1 less than default
Actual Attendance: 4,452

-This will be the final show of our current TV deal, which means this is the last TV show before Parade of Champions. We will run a "bonus" house show in Dallas next Tuesday night, which will follow a Monday show somewhere else.

-I hadn't been in the habit of checking these things, but since the AWA is running a show tonight, all of the guys that I have that work for them are unavailable: Bobby Eaton, Koko B. Ware. Les Thorton, Michael Hayes, Buddy Roberts, & Ricky Morton. This means that when Eaton & Ware's pay-per-appearance contracts are up with AWA, they may very well sign exclusive contracts, which would result in them leaving WCCW.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
-Non-Title Match
Mike Von Erich defeats Dusty Wolfe in 6:43 by submission. (C-) Mike was tiring towards the end of the match. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Mike about his win, and his Cruiserweight Title Defense at Parade of Champions against the tough Englishman Les Thorton. (C+)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Owen Hart & Al Perez drew with Charlie Cook & Perry Jackson in 6:49 following a double DQ. (E+) Perez was exhausted at the end of the match

-As the show starts, a highlight video shows the events of this Monday night in Nebraska, when Terry Funk embarrassed the Federation stable, defeated Bob Backlund, and agreed to put his WCCW Career on the line tonight against Backlund, who puts up the World Title. (C)

-WCCW TV Champion Arturo Mendoza is backstage with WCCW Commissioner Jose Lothario and the rolling drum of volunteer challengers for the TV Title. Lothario reminds Mendoza that this is the final TV Title match before Parade of Champions, so the winner will defend against Kevin Sullivan at that event. Mendoza draws a name - Kerry Von Erich. (C)

-David Von Erich defeats Mr. Pogo in 10:45 by pinfall. (C). After the match, David cut a promo about his reactions to the events of Monday night, and tonight's World Title match. David says that whatever happens, he's still in the main event of Parade of Champions with a shot at the World Title - if the champion that night ends up being Terry Funk, he'll be ready. (B-)

-Bill Mercer runs his 2-minute "Update" segment which hypes the entire Parade of Champion card - he also notes the addition of a 20-man over the top rope Battle Royal to that night's event. He also tells fans to check their local listings to see where WCCW TV will air after Parade of Champions (D)

-Kevin & Kerry Von Erich cut a pre-taped, backstage promo about their World Tag Team Title Shot against The Sheepherders at Parade of Champions. (C+)

-Before the next match, Kamala once again attacks his opponent, Villano IV, before the bell. (C+)

-Kamala (w/Ox Baker & Gary Hart) defeat Villano IV in 4:52 by pinfall. (B-). After the match, a hype video recaps the dominating win streak of Kamala. (B-).

-Gary Hart cut a promo hyping Kamala's match at Parade of Champions against King Kong Bundy. (D+)

-Lance Russell interviews Antonio Inoki in the ring - Inoki says he still hasn't officially signed with an opponent for Parade of Champions, but that he expects to do so in the next few days. (B) Inoki is interrupted, however, by the Soviet National Anthem blaring through the arena. Skandor Akbar comes to the ring with Nikita Koloff, who is making his first TV appearance in several months. Akbar challenges Inoki to a match with Koloff at Parade of Champions. (C+) After some back-and-forth (including some Akbar/Koloff insults towards Japan), Inoki eventually agrees. (B-)

-Kevin Sullivan (w/Ray Stevens) defeats Curt Hennig in 17:55 by pinfall. (B+). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, Sullivan cut a promo hyping his TV Title Shot at Parade of Champions, and says he doesn't care who wins the next match - Arturo Mendoza or Kerry Von Erich - he's walking out of Parade of Champions with the belt no matter what. (C+)

-Backstage, Bill Mercer interviews Kerry Von Erich about his upcoming TV Title shot with Arturo Mendoza. Mercer points out that if Kerry can win the TV Title tonight, then he'll have to wrestle twice at Parade of Champions - once to defend the TV Title against Sullivan, and once teaming with Kevin for their Tag Team Title shot with The Sheepherders. Kerry says he'll pull double duty if he has to. (C-)

Arturo Mendoza drew with Kerry Von Erich in 10:00 when the time limit expired to make his 3rd defense of the TV Title. (B-). Mendoza looked good. After the match, the two men shook hands in a sign of respect. (C-)

-David Von Erich comes out to the announce table area to serve as guest commentator for the Terry Funk/Bob Backlund World Title Match. David is set to face the winner for the gold at Parade of Champions next week. (C+). Both Terry Funk (B) and Bob Backlund (B) cut backstage interviews hyping the match.

-Funk Must Leave WCCW If He Loses
Terry Funk defeated Bob Backlund by DQ in 9:11 after the entire Federation stable interfered, after it appeared that Funk had the match, and the title, won. (C) Backlund retains the title. The two showed poor chemistry. The Federation beat down Funk 5-on-1, but David Von Erich quickly joined the fray. David & Funk held their own, and then a fresh Kerry Von Erich ran down to the ring to give the faces the advantage. The Federation began to leave the ringside room area, with Backlund clutching the World Title belt. (C+) However, just before the show ends, WCCW Commissioner Jose Lothario makes an appearance, and heads down the announce table. He criticized the actions of The Federation, and announced that while he typically likes to stay out of day-to-day matchmaking, he is ordering Bob Backlund to defend the World Title against Terry Funk once again next Monday night in Kansas City. This time, says Lothario, since The Federation can't seem to stop interfering (despite heavy fines issued every time they do), that match will be held inside a steel cage). (C+)

THOUGHTS:

-All of the ratings were probably a little lower in Nebraska than they would have been in Texas. But our slightly-lower midwest popularity will be more forgiving to a C+ overall rating, in that it won't negatively impact us as much.

-The main event really tanked us this time. And we're running the same matchup again next week! I had hoped to resolve things tonight, but I bought myself a little more time to see what happens with the contracts of Backlund & Funk. Exciting times.

-Hennig does the job for Sullivan. Once Murdoch, Hennig, and possibly Backlund are gone, Sullivan will likely find himself in a main event role. B+ with Hennig is just a tad disappointing - I'd like to see Sullivan reach A- or higher with that kind of talent.

-My unsuccessful search for an "international superstar" for Antonio Inoki at Parade of Champions ended right on our own roster with the TV return of Nikita Koloff. That could be a fun little rivalry, if the two have decent chemistry.

-Kamala again impresses with a Villano. Kamala's another guy probably looking at a main event run after the AWA defections.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #958
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Going into Monday night's house show in Kansas City, Bob Backlund has still not left us for the AWA. I haven't received an official message either way, since the notice I received that they were negotiating. I don't know if that means I'm in the clear, but now that we're within the 7 day notice period before Parade of Champions, I do know that Backlund will be available that night, no matter what. So it appears the main event is intact.

-I officially cancel the contract for our TV show. Once the paperwork clears in a few days, I can start negotiating for a new network and/or time slot.

-Our final TV show on the current deal delivered a 5.01 rating, slightly down from last week's 5.07. Hopefully, starting in June with a new TV situation, we'll be able to greatly surpass that.

-Ox Baker shows up late for the last show, and when he finally does show up, he gives me his 1-week notice - he's headed to the AWA. I'll have to explain his disappearance, especially how it was part of Kamala's probation that he be with Baker at all times. I decide to fire Baker for being late, just to send a message (we've had a lot of late workers lately). Baker is PISSED OFF, and he probably won't work for me ever again.

-I request negotiations with a number of workers whose contracts are up in the next few weeks - Mr. Pogo, Gary Hart, and Iceman Parsons. Parsons refuses to talk to me - he's furious about how many shows he's missed. I'll use him on every show between now and when his contract is up - hopefully that will be enough to encourage him to come talk to me.

-Harley Race has joined the AWA's already loaded roster. I'll definitely be trying to reach national status with the scraps of the wrestling industry, as AWA and ACW are snatching up everybody who's anybody.

-Ed Leslie is being hyped by the dirt sheets as a future star.

-Backstage, Luke Williams and Mark Youngblood have developed a friendship. Youngblood had started a friendship with Kevin Sullivan in the past. He must be a fun drunk or something.

-I try to re-sign Terry Funk, but Fritz caps me out at a level too low.....Fritz also stops me signing a guy that I hoped to bring in as something of a big-name savior for the Parade of Champions show, Bruiser Brody. That one's particularly annoying because Brody has a "strong friendship" with Fritz. Fritz has been a huge roadblock recently, but he's definitely helping the status of his kids by preventing me from signing all these main eventers. Funk's last show with us will be Monday night in Kansas City, when he faces Bob Backlund for the World Title.

-Kevin Sullivan, Ricky Morton, and Buddy Roberts complain about their pushes. It's almost as if Sullivan can see the writing on the wall with the defections and is angling for his spot.

-ACW's Jake Roberts has suffered an injury, he'll be out 3 months. At the moment, AWA is very slightly more prestigious than ACW, but they're the clear Big Two.

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #959
BYU 14
Coordinator

Seems like Fritz is going to make it very hard to compete with the big 2 with his tight purse strings, which is a shame because you should be right there with them.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #960
PilotMan
Head Coach

Certainly adds a interesting twist to the smooth train that had been running down the tracks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #961
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Still following along. Great job molson. Really interested to see how you'll manage the roster and push the product nationally while the two big companies try to poach your talent.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #962
kislingbury
Mascot

Ditto. Should be interesting to see the new approach to talent relations/acquisition...
kislingbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #963
molson
General Manager

Monday, Week 4, May 1985
Kansas City, MO (Midwest - Very Small Venue)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Billy Robinson & El Halcon defeat Barry Orton & Perry Jackson in 7:40 when Robinson pinned Jackson. (C). Robinson looked good. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed the winners. (C)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Ricky Morton defeats Dusty Wolfe in 6:16 by pinfall. (B+) The two showed great chemistry.

-Fritz Von Erich & WCCW Commissioner Jose Lothario come to the ring and hype the show, and this week's Parade of Champions Event. (D)

-Ray Stevens came to the ring with WCCW World Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund. Stevens hyped Backlund's steel cage word title defense tonight against Terry Funk, as ordered by Lothario after the events of last week's TV show. Stevens complains about Backlund having to wrestle in such a match the same week as Parade of Champions, but on the bright side, Terry Funk will still leave WCCW once he loses, per the offer he made to get the original title shot last week. Stevens also claims that after Parade of Champions, his Federation stable will be expanding - Stevens says he already has several wrestlers lined up. Backlund looks annoyed at this news from Stevens. (B-)

-Skandor Akbar comes to the ring with the WCCW World Tag Team Champion Sheepherders. He cuts a promo hyping their World Tag Team Title defense against Kevin & Kerry Von Erich at Parade of Champions. Akbar says that he's been waiting for months for this opportunity to dominate the Von Erichs in the ring again. (C-)

-Non-Title Match
The Sheepherders (w/Skandor Akbar) defeat Mark Youngblood & Al Perez in 5:55 when Miller pinned Youngblood after a dominating performance by the champions (C-) The Sheepherders looked good.

-King Kong Bundy defeated Charlie Cook in 6:45 by pinfall in a dominating victory (C) After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Bundy about his match at Parade of Champions with Kamala, the client of Bundy's former manager Gary Hart. Bundy says that while he has a score to settle with Hart, he's going to have to focus 100% of his attention on Kamala, or he's going to be in trouble. (C)

-Kerry & Kevin Von Erich defeat The Grapplers in 12:46 when Kerry made Grappler #2 submit. (C+). Grappler #1 looked good. Immediately after the match, Skandor Akbar and The Sheepherders hit the ring and attach the Von Erichs. The Von Erichs are able to hold their own down 3-on-2 for a time, but the heels eventually take advantage of their numbers and leave the Von Erichs lying in the middle of the ring. Road agents come out to assure that the attack doesn't go further. (C-)

-Iceman Parsons defeats Mr. Pogo in 7:52 by pinfall. (B) The two showed great chemistry, but the match suffered from a lack of selling. After the match, Parsons cuts a promo. He says he doesn't have a match lined up for Parade of Champions yet, but he'll definitely be there in some capacity. (C+)

-Steel Cage (Classic Rules, Pinfall or Submission Only)
-Funk Must Leave WCCW If He Loses
Bob Backlund (w/Ray Stevens) defeats Terry Funk by pinfall in 18:36 to make his 3rd defense of the World Title. (B+). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, once Backlund and Stevens had left, Funk cuts a promo to say goodbye to the WCCW fans. Funk says he's developed something of an unfortunate annual tradition of being forced to leave WCCW after losses, citing his "loser leaves WCCW" match against Bruiser Brody last year. Again, Funk says that nothing is forever, and the match contract only requires him to be gone 12 months. Funk says he's determined to wrestle in a WCCW ring again someday. (B-)

THOUGHTS:

-This show looked pretty bad for a while, but then we were saved by the last two matches.

-The main event was remarkably better than the Funk/Backlund match on the TV show last week. Since I knew that they had poor chemistry, I gave the road agents the instruction to script out the match ahead of time, perhaps that helped. The steel cage environment probably helped Funk and his good brawler ratings. Probably though, the biggest difference is that this match wasn't marred by constant interference (I think Vince McMahon, in particular, kills the ratings of any segment or match he's involved in - he'll be shown the door soon).

-There were a lot of moving parts and changing plans that surrounded this Funk/Backlund mini-feud on the eve of Parade of Champions. If I was able to re-sign Funk, and if Backlund did indeed give his notice to leave the company for the AWA, then Funk would have won the title here, and then turned heel in retaining the belt against David Von Erich at Parade of Champions. He would have gone on to have a title run as the violent, crazy, Texas cowboy heel. If both Funk & Backlund were leaving, then Funk would have won the title here, only to be attached by the Federation stable, who would injure him and cause him to vacate the World Title. Backlund, Murdoch, Stevens, and McMahon would have all been "indefinitely suspended" for their actions, to explain their departure from WCCW. Parade of Champions would then have a 5- or 6- way main event for the vacant world title. David probably would have won that, but I also considered other possibilities - like David being eliminated from the match early, and then Arturo Mendoza overcoming the odds and getting the gold. I also thought about The Freebirds somehow getting involved, with the belt ending up on Terry Gordy or Michael Hayes. What actually turned out was the scenario I didn't expect. I was unable to sign Funk, but Backlund is apparently staying (at least through Parade of Champions). So the outcome here was obvious.

-I gave Parsons a big win - hopefully it's not too late to get back on his good side. I'd hate to lose one of the last guys from my original roster in this game.

-Kerry/Kevin v. Grapplers was a little disappointing. Since both teams are so well established, I was hoping for a B- or better rating, which is why I gave them the "all out" road agent note.

-Bob Backlund showed a little annoyance at Ray Stevens news that he's expanding the Federation stable roster. Apparently this decision was made without Backlund's consent. There's a lot of directions to go after Parade of Champions with our revamped roster, and I want to make sure I have planted the seeds for anything.

-The most amazing, ridiculous match of the night was Ricky Morton v. Dusty Wolfe - B+!. Easily the best match ever for both guys - and Ricky Morton has been in the ring with the likes of Bob Backlund and Adrian Adonis during his last WCCW run. He has 1 more appearance on his loan contract this time around.

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #964
molson
General Manager

Thanks for the comments - this game definitely got a lot more challenging.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #965
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Bob Backlund is exhausted after the last show. I'll have to give him the night off when we run our "Parade of Champions Preview" show this week.

-Terry Funk is officially gone from WCCW, once again.

-I re-sign Mr. Pogo for 3 more months at $1,300/show, a modest raise from his old $1,200/show deal. Pogo hasn't been in anything resembling a storyline, and hasn't had much in ring success (a W/L/D record of 2-16-3), but he's a solid enough midcard heel who breaks out a number of B- and B rated matches.

-I also re-sign Gary Hart for 9 months at $1,075/show, up from his last deal of $900/show. With the Federation stable soon to implode, Akbar's Destruction Inc, and Gary Hart's Hart Limited stable are about to come to the forefront once again.

-I request negotiations with a TON of guys - just to see if there's any deals out there, and if there's any big-name surprises that might be available for Parade of Champions. Basically, I went through the worker filter and sorted for completely unemployed guys with a minimum level of popularity in Texas. Fritz vetoed a couple of the negotiation requests because of blocks (I wasn't allowed to talk to "known steroid users" Superstar Billy Graham, Ivan Putski, The Missing Link, Ken Patera. Fritz also won't let me talk to some guys whose "Basics" stat is too low, including Steve Williams, Brian Adias, and Mark Lewin.

-I am able to request negotiations with the following: The Masked Superstar, Terry Taylor, Rocky Johnson, Pedro Morales, Jerry Brisco, Tony Garea, Mr. Saito, Killer Tim Brooks, Baron Von Raschke, The Invaders, The Moondogs, Frank Dusek, Big John Studd, Buzz Tyler, and Don Bass. So that's not the most elite list of wrestling names ever, and they won't replace Hennig, Murdoch, and possibly Backlund, but there's some potential. I'm looking to bring in maybe 2-3 guys - a new member or two for Destruction Inc and/or Hart Limited, and maybe an upper-midcard face that I could push right off the bat.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #966
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have had good success with both the Baron and Mr Satio. Especially in the midwest where they are both popular. Both are good technical wrestlers, and the Baron can deliver a good promo. His age is his only real detractor.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #967
BYU 14
Coordinator

Studd would make a great addition for Hart, I also agree with Saito.

Speaking of Saito, he came after at a match back in Salt Lake one time when I was like 20. I was way too drunk and acting stupid and threw ice on him as he was leaving the ring. He literally tried coming over the rail and security grabbed him, he was pissed. I also set a record for sprinting up stairs that probably still stands.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #968
molson
General Manager

WCCW: Parade of Champions Preview
Tuesday, Week 4, May 1985
Dallas, TX (Midsouth/Texas - Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 4,350 Ticket prices: Default
Actual Attendance: 4,019

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Bobby Eaton defeats Doug Somers in 9:40 by pinfall. (C+) After the match, Eaton hyped he and Koko B. Ware's tag match at Parade of Champions against Somers & Olsonoski. Eaton promises to avenge his team's upset lost several weeks ago. (C+)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Iceman Parsons defeats Dusty Wolfe in 3:34 by pinfall. (C-)

-As the show starts, WCCW Commissioner Lothario comes to the ring. He hypes the Parade of Champions Show later this week, as well as tonight's Parade of Champions Preview show. He also announces, somberly, that both Curt Hennig and Dick Murdoch have elected to leave WCCW, and thus will not be taking part in the bunkhouse brawl match at Parade of Champions. However, says Lothario - that bunkhouse brawl match between Hennig & Murdoch will take place tonight! (C-)

-Non-Title Match
Mike Von Erich drew with Ricky Morton in 5:04 in a no-contest after Les Thorton interfered and attacked both men. (B). Thorton continued the attack after the bell rang, dismantling both Morton and Von Erich with suplexes and submission moves. (B-). After the match, Lance Russell interviewed Thorton, who hyped his Cruiserweight Title match with Mike Von Erich at Parade of Champions. Thorton says he just proved he can beat two Cruiserweights at once - Mike alone will be no problem. (B-)

-The Villanos and their brother Arturo Mendoza come to the ring and hype their six-man tag match against The Grapplers & Kevin Sullivan. They also hype their Parade of Champions matches - where the Villanos will face The Grapplers and Mendoza will defend the TV title against Kevin Sullivan. (C+)

-The Villanos & Arturo Mendoza defeat Kevin Sullivan (w/Ray Stevens) & The Grapplers in 9:46 when Kevin Sullivan was DQ'd. (B). Mendoza looked good. Sullivan, frustrated with his teammates, attacked Grappler #2 on his way out of the ringside area. (B-). Sullivan was then interviewed by Lance Russell. Sullivan said he got annoyed with The Villanos and The Grapplers "mucking things up" tonight, and he's looking forward to getting Arturo Mendoza all alone at Parade of Champions, so he can take his TV Title. (B-)

-2-on-1 Handicap Match
Kamala (w/Gary Hart) defeats Al Perez & Owen Hart in 2:31 when Kamala pinned Perez. (C-) After the match, Gary Hart cut a promo hyping Kamala's match at Parade of Champions with his former client, King Kong Bundy. Hart says that due to his leadership, and Kamala's "professional behavior", Kamala is now off the restrictive probation terms that Commissioner Lothario had imposed. Therefore, says Hart, Ox Baker's services were no longer required, and he has been relieved of his duties. Hart says it's one less man to get a cut of the money generation machine that is Kamala. (B-) Hart seems more lucid then recent weeks, and has now completely ditched the old Elvis costume.

-2-on-1 Handicap Match
King Kong Bundy defeated Barry Orton & Perry Jackson in 2:15 when Bundy pinned Orton. (C). Bundy looked good. After the match, and after consulting with the timekeeper, Bundy cut a promo noting that he defeated his two opponents faster than Kamala defeated his. (B). Bundy says that his decision to fire Gary Hart will be justified this Saturday night at Parade of Champions, when he defeats Kamala.

-Les Thorton drew with Billy Robinson in 15:00 when the time limit expired (B+). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, Robinson offered a handshake to fellow Englishman Thorton, but Thorton refused and left the ring. (C+)

-Antonio Inoki, and Kevin & Kerry Von Erich come to the ring and hype Inoki's Parade of Champions match against Nikita Koloff, and the Von Erichs' challenge to the World Tag Team Champion Sheepherders. They also hype their six-man tag team match tonight against their Parade of Champions opponents. (B)

-The Sheepherders & Nikita Koloff (w/Skandor Akbar) defeat Antonio Inoki, Kevin Von Erich, & Kerry Von Erich in 11:42 when Miller pinned Kevin after interference from Skandor Akbar, and referee confusion when all six men got involved. (B+) Koloff was tiring towards the end of the match. After the match, Akbar cut a promo hyping his Destruction Inc. stable, and their matches at Parade of Champions.

-Lance Russell interviews Curt Hennig about his imminent departure from WCCW, and his bunkhouse brawl match against Dick Murdoch tonight. Hennig says he's leaving WCCW for family reasons, and will be able to spend most of his time in his home state of Minnesota. Hennig says that he understands the boos and disappointment of the fans, but that it's been an honor to compete in front of them, and to be their World Champion for a time. (C). Russell then interviews Murdoch, who hypes the match tonight and he says that he can't wait to get out of the hell-hole that is Dallas, and WCCW. Before then, however, Murdoch says he's going to settle a score with the "punk" Hennig. (C)

-Bunkhouse Brawl
-Come As You Are (Street Clothes)
-No DQ, No Countouts, Pinfalls Count Anywhere.
Dick Murdoch defeats Curt Hennig in 27:42 by pinfall in a weapons-filled brawl (B). After the match, fellow Federation stable members Bob Backlund, Kevin Sullivan, & Ray Stevens come to the ring. Murdoch expects to be congratulated, but the his stablemates stare him down, and then attack him. Sullivan slams Murdoch through a table, and then Backlund applies his chicken-wing submission hold. The remnants of the Federation stable leave Murdoch lying in the ring. (B-)

Overall Showa Rating: B-

THOUGHTS:

-I'm happy to get the B- after what was basically a gimmick show.

-The fans did get the Hennig/Murdoch blow-off match, a few days before Parade of Champions. Murdoch gets the win, but is then unceremoniously disposed of by the remaining members of The Federation stable, who weren't happy with his decision to leave.

-I was hoping that maybe Murdoch or Hennig would be injured in that match, so that the AWA might get damaged goods (that match type had a "high" injury risk rating), however, both men appear to have gotten through it OK.

-Everything else was pretty solid, I was surprised to see the two six-man tag matches deliver such solid ratings. Inoki and Sullivan weren't happy to be on the losing end of their matches, but they were both protected pretty well. Sullivan got to beat up his own partner on the way out, and Inoki didn't suffer the pinfall for his team.

-Les Thorton & Billy Robinson had a great match considering their lack of chemistry. If they had neutral chemistry, they probably would have managed an A-, and if they had great chemistry, it might have been an A+. Les Thorton is very impressive, both in his matches and his angles (its too bad he's in the AWA, and thus probably un-signable after this loan contract is up).

-Bundy & Kamala's handicap matches were the low-point of the night match-quality wise, but I think that was decent way to hype their Parade of Champions match.

-Mike Von Erich & Ricky Morton, former tag team partners, had a strong match while it lasted. That's the end of Ricky Morton's loan contract. I'll probably look to bring him back at some point.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #969
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Dick Murdoch & Curt Hennig are officially gone from WCCW and on their way to the AWA.

-They are joined in AWA by Buddy Rose and Sgt. Slaughter. ACW gets Sika.

-Bobby Eaton is exhausted after the last show. That's largely due to his workload in other promotions.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #970
molson
General Manager

Wednesday, Week 4, May 1985
Macon City, Georgia (Southeast - Very Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 3,447; Ticket Prices: ($5 over Default)

When I advanced to this day I was surprised to see I still had a TV show to run - I thought I had canceled this TV show last week. I guess that's not official yet for whatever reason. So I'm going to run our first ever TV show in the southeast region, as a further preview of this week's Parade of Champions event. We'll assume it was some last minute deal between WCCW and the network.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Barry Orton defeats Owen Hart in 7:01 by pinfall. (D+)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Doug Somers defeats Dusty Wolfe in 5:42 by submission. (D-). Wolfe was really off his game. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Somers about his win, and his Parade of Champions match where he will team with Steve Olsonoski to face Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware. (D-)

-King Kong Bundy defeated Charlie Cook in 10:12 by pinfall. (C+). Bundy looked good. After the match, Bundy cut a promo hyping his Parade of Champions match against Kamala. He also warbs former manager Gary Hart not to interfere in the match (C+) A hype video recaps the Bundy/Hart relationship and the events that led up to the Bundy/Kamala match this week. (C)

-Backstage, WCCW TV Champion Arturo Mendoza stands with Commissioner Jose Lothario and a rolling drum of volunteer challengers for the TV Title. Lothario points out that last week was scheduled to be the last TV Title defense until Parade of Champions. As a result, Mendoza is not required to defend his title this week, since the TV show arrangements with the network were made so last minute. Mendoza, however, insisted on defending the title. He draws a name out of the drum - Steve Olsonoski. (C+)

-El Halcon defeats Perry Jackson in 10:40 by submission. (C+)

-Bill Mercer runs his 2-minute "update" segment that previews the card for Parade of Champions, and recaps the events of the last week - including the departure from WCCW of Dick Murdoch, Curt Hennig, & Terry Funk. (E+)

-A video highlights and recaps the lengthy feud between The Sheepherders & The Von Erichs, in anticipation of the their World Tag Team Title Match at Parade of Champion. (C+)

-A video hypes the Parade of Champions tag team match between The Villanos & The Grapplers. The announcers predict that the winner of that tag match will be in line for a World Tag Title Shot. (D+)

-Bill Mercer interviews Steve Olsonoski about his upcoming TV Title shot against Arturo Mendoza. Olsonoski notes that if he can win the title from Mendoza tonight, he'll have to defend it against Kevin Sullivan at Parade of Champions, in addition to his own tag match with partner Doug Somers against Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware. Olsonoski concedes that it was thus risky to volunteer for this match tonight, but he can't turn down such an opportunity. (D+)

Arturo Mendoza defeats Steve Olsonoski in 7:58 by pinfall to make his 4th defense of the title. (C) Mendoza looked good. After the match, a video hypes the TV Title match at Parade of Champions between Mendoza and Kevin Sullivan. (B).

-A video hypes the match at Parade of Champions between Antonio Inoki & Nikita Koloff. (B-)

-Billy Robinson defeats Mr. Pogo in 11:47 by pinfall. (B). The match suffered from a lack of selling.

-A lengthy video hypes and recaps the Bob Backlund/David Von Erich feud, and features highlights of their many matches in the past. (C+)

-Iceman Parsons cuts a promo hyping his upcoming main event, non-title match against WCCW World Champion Bob Backlund. Parsons said he heard Backlund referring to the match as a tune-up match, and says that he's ready to pull an upset if Backlund takes him lightly. Parsons notes that he has defeated Backlund in the past. (C+)

-Non-Title Match
Bob Backlund (w/Ray Stevens) defeats Iceman Parsons in 9:51 by submission. (B+). After the match, Backlund cut a promo hyping his World Title defense against David Von Erich at Parade of Champions. Backlund says that the "submission match" rules are to his advantage, and he'll make David cry uncle and submit, just like Parsons just did. (B)

THOUGHTS:

-Strong show, especially considering we were in the southeast. I tried to avoid using many of our guys who have matches at Parade of Champions, and instead really used this as another preview show, with hype videos.

-The main event was good, I figured that since Backlund was the one big star that got the Parade of Champions Preview show off, he could wrestle here in the main event. He had a good match with Parsons

-Robinson defeated Mr. Pogo in the battle of the midcard-level-guys-who-wrestle-good-matches-but-are-never-involved-in-storylines. With the defections of this month, maybe that should change.

-Arturo Mendoza wrestled his worst 1-on-1 match since February. I had somewhat higher hopes for that match, even though I knew I'd be up against the face v. face penalty.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #971
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-After all the defections, the fears that I was going to lose 1/2 of our Parade of Champions main event with Bob Backlund, and then the relief that he stayed around, this is pretty amazing - Bob Backlund was injured in his match with Iceman Parsons and will be out for about a month. He is thus out of Parade of Champions and I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do.....The original plan was for David to defeat Backlund for the title. Kevin Sullivan & Ray Stevens would have attempted to interfere on Backlund's behalf throughtout the match, but Backlund would stop them, apparently because he wanted a fair match. After Backlund lost, he would handed the belt to David, and left. Then, after Sullivan and Stevens attacked David, Backlund would turn back towards the ring, and make the save for David, turning face. That is now all out the window. It's definitely been a challenging month.

-There was a little backlash from the fans in Macon City about the high ticket prices. It was one of those deals where the projected attendance was kind of between what would easily sell out a Very Small venue, but wasn't enough to come close to selling out a Small Venue. I went with Very Small and jacked up the prices, but in the future, I guess I'll go the other way.

-Dusty Wolfe is exhausted after the last show. He should feel lucky he gets as much work as I give him.

-The TV show delivered a 4.54 rating. That's our lowest rating in 10 weeks, but it isn't surprising, since I didn't advertise any matches for this show, as it was kind of a surprise.

-Stan Lane and Mr. Wrestling II won the vacant Mid-South tag team titles, defeating Jim Duggan & Magnum TA. The belts had become vacant after Dick Murdoch left the company - he had held the gold with Duggan.

-The AWA also crowned new tag champions - Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts - they defeated Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware for the vacant belts. The belts became vacant when the Iron Sheik left the company - he had held the gold with Les Thorton. I would have tried to sign Sheik, but he still also works for ACW.

-The deadline to negotiate with Iceman Parsons has passed - he wanted nothing to do with me after he wasn't used to much over the last months. So he'll be gone shortly after Parade of Champions. He had been with WCCW for the entire dynasty. Hopefully this is just a 6 month hiatus and I can bring up back.

-Ronnie Garvin won ACW's vacant TV Title for the 2nd time - it had gone vacant after Jake Roberts was injured.

-I am allowing the contracts of Barry Orton and Perry Jackson to expire, as the shakeup continues.

-We have negotiations with a bunch of wrestlers. I bring in Big John Studd for 9 months at a very cheap $1,050/show. Studd is known across the US, though not all that well. His best skill attributes are Toughness, Power, Basics, Safety, Looks, and Menace. He'll definitely make some kind of appearance at Parade of Champions.

-I also bring back Frank Dusek for $475/show. That price is definitely right. Dusek doesn't bring much to the table, but I like the continuity of bringing back old WCCW guys. Dusek hasn't worked for anyone since last September, when we let his contract expire.

-I bring in the Masked Superstar for 3 months and $1,775/show. That might not be an exciting signing, but I think he'll bring a lot to the table. He has C+ overness in most of the country, and between B- and B+ ratings in 16 different skill categories. Just a very solid all around guy who can probably have good matches with anyone, and great matches with our main eventers (whoever they turn out to be after Parade of Champions).

-I sign Killer Tim Brooks for 3 months and $850 show. He's a real-life WCCW mainstay, and probably a decent lower midcard heel relative to our current roster.

-I sign Dory Funk Jr. for $1,850/show and a 10% cut of his merchandise. I'm pretty fired up about that signing. Funk is very well known in Texas and the Southeast. He's probably the most talented guy out there I have access too, considering our size and Fritz's cheapness. Funk has A+ ratings in Basics, and Respect, and A ratings in Safety and Stamina. He's a legit, main event guy, and will definitely be involved in however we crown a new World Champion at the Parade of Champions show.

-I sign Don Bass at $1,075/show. He'll basically be a more talented version of Barry Orton or Perry Jackson.

-I sign Mr. Saito at 18 months and $1,475/show. That seems like a good value for him.

-Dusty Rhodes rejected negotiations with us, citing loyalty to Mid-Atlantic.

-So, to sum up: Murdoch, Hennig, Terry Funk, Barry Orton, Perry Jackson, and Iceman Parsons are out. Big John Studd, The Masked Superstar, Dory Funk Jr, Frank Dusek, Mr. Saito, Don Bass, and Tim Brooks are in. I still have negotiations pending with Baron Von Raschke and Jerry Lawler.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #972
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow. That Backlund injury is brutal. That is what I love about TEW, even though I really don't like it at the time; stuff like that.

In my WCW dynasty I was banking on Sting vs Raven and then the day before Halloween Havoc Sting was put in jail for a year. I mean, seriously, that was the match I had planned to be a Main Event and it was a part of the culmination of an A* storyline, all gone to shit.

You could always make a new title, have a 4 man tournament which David wins, then have Backlund come out as the real champion and have a Unification match at the next PPV? Just spitballing.

Regardless I can't wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #973
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

either that, or backlund doesn't show up.. there's a one night tourney, and then Backlund comes back.. saying "I looked at the Foundation.. and I realized that I didn't deserve to wear the belt.. till I could win it fair and square"
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #974
molson
General Manager

On the morning of the Parade of Champions show, we've finally put together a final card.

Bob Backlund has been stripped of the World Title, and there will be a 10-man tournament to determine a new champion.

Since David Von Erich had previously earned a title shot at tonight's show, he gets the easiest path -first round and quarterfinal byes - he goes right into the semi-finals.

The previously scheduled Antonio Inoki/Nikita Koloff, and Kevin Sullivan/Arturo Mendoza matches will still happen. All four competitors, since they are established WCCW stars with big credentials, will get first round byes. Thus, those matchups will take place in the quarterfinals. The winners of those two matches will join David in the semi-finals.

The final spot in the semi-finals will be decided among the four men that have to wrestle in the first round. These are four wrestlers debuting or returning to WCCW tonight. Dory Funk Jr, The Masked Superstar, Mr. Saito, and Frank Dusek.

So, the tournament, and the Parade of Champions card, will look like this:

WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Tournament:

First Round:
Masked Superstar v. Frank Dusek
Mr. Saito v. Dory Funk Jr.

Quarterfinal Round:
Arturo Mendoza v. Kevin Sullivan (match is also for the TV Title)
Antonio Inoki v. Nikita Koloff
Funk/Saito winner v. Superstar/Dusek winner

Semifinal Round:
David Von Erich v. Sullivan/Mendoza winner
Inoki/Koloff winner v. Superstar/Saito/Funk/Dusek winner

World Heavyweight Championship Match:
TBD

----------------------

The Sheepherders v. Kevin & Kerry Von Erich

-WCCW Cruiserweight Championship Match
Mike Von Erich v. Les Thorton

-Kamala v. King Kong Bundy

-The Grapplers v. The Villanos

-Doug Somers & Steve Olsonoski v. Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware

-15 Man Battle Royal:
Iceman Parsons
Mr. Pogo
Big John Studd
El Halcon
Killer Tim Brooks
Charlie Cook
Billy Robinson
Mark Youngblood
Don Bass
Owen Hart
Al Perez
Barry Orton
Perry Jackson
Dusty Wolfe

Last edited by molson : 07-19-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #975
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

You could always make a new title, have a 4 man tournament which David wins, then have Backlund come out as the real champion and have a Unification match at the next PPV? Just spitballing.

I thought about doing that - saying that a champion can't be stripped of his title unless he doesn't defend it for 30 days - and this is the 30th day since Backlund defended it last, so he can't be stripped of it until midnight. So a new belt would have to be created to have any kind of championship might tonight. But I figured - this show is coming across as desperate enough already.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #976
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
either that, or backlund doesn't show up.. there's a one night tourney, and then Backlund comes back.. saying "I looked at the Foundation.. and I realized that I didn't deserve to wear the belt.. till I could win it fair and square"

Ya, that's probably one of those most rational way to have Backlund come back in a month if I still decide he's going to turn face. Which I think he pretty much has too, as most of the guys I just signed can only work heel.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #977
EdReedIsGod
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I thought about doing that - saying that a champion can't be stripped of his title unless he doesn't defend it for 30 days - and this is the 30th day since Backlund defended it last, so he can't be stripped of it until midnight. So a new belt would have to be created to have any kind of championship might tonight. But I figured - this show is coming across as desperate enough already.

I was thinking backlund is doing a promo at the PPV, when Big John Studd comes out and lays waste to him, grabs the microphone and announces that he is in WCCW and nobody, not even the champion is safe.

That's how realistic your uni is, makes you think of stuff.
EdReedIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #978
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedIsGod View Post
I was thinking backlund is doing a promo at the PPV, when Big John Studd comes out and lays waste to him, grabs the microphone and announces that he is in WCCW and nobody, not even the champion is safe.

That's how realistic your uni is, makes you think of stuff.

One of the annoyances about TEW 07 is if a guy is "out" because of injury, you can't use him for anything - even interviews.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #979
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup. TEW 08 has two categories of injuries, ones that will allow him to appear on screen but not wrestle, and serious injuries that will not allow him to appear on screen
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #980
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
yup. TEW 08 has two categories of injuries, ones that will allow him to appear on screen but not wrestle, and serious injuries that will not allow him to appear on screen

That is huge feature, also helps when workers are working somewhere else that night.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #981
dfisher
High School JV

WCCW is on the verge of one of the most important shows in company history, and you leave us in suspense for 10 days? I can't take the suspense!

BTW, I apologize to everyone who saw this thread bumped and thought molson updated it.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #982
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
WCCW is on the verge of one of the most important shows in company history, and you leave us in suspense for 10 days? I can't take the suspense!

BTW, I apologize to everyone who saw this thread bumped and thought molson updated it.

Why you sonofabitch!

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 PM   #983
molson
General Manager

LOL - this tends to happen to me before big shows. I get caught up in a CIV IV game and get distracted. But I'll get that show out soon!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #984
molson
General Manager

WCCW: Parade of Champions
Saturday, Week 4, May 1985
Dallas, TX (Midsouth - Medium Venue)
Expected Attendance: 11,854 Ticket prices: default
Actual Attendance: 9,454

-Pre-Show Dark Segment
Fritz Von Erich and WCCW Commissioner Jose Lothario come to the ring and welcome the fans, hype the show, and fill everyone in on the recent card changes to Parade of Champions. Bob Backlund has been stripped of the World Title due to injury, and a 9-man tournament will be held tonight to crown a new champion. (D+)

-Pre-Show Dark Segment
A video hypes the recent events between WCCW Crusierweight Champion Mike Von Erich, and his challenger tonight, Englishman Les Thorton. The video tells the story of Thorton's domination over other cruiserweights during his brief WCCW run. (B-). Bill Mercer interviews Les Thorton, who says he doesn't expect the match to take a long time - he'll be the champion in just a few minutes. (B-)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
-WCCW Cruiserweight Championship
Mike Von Erich defeats Les Thorton in 8:27 by pinfall after a fluke roll-up to make his 4th defense of his title. (C) Mike was tiring towards the end of the match. Thorton looked good. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Mike about his win - Mike says he doesn't think many people gave him a chance tonight, but he again proved that he's a worthy champion. Mike points out that it was one-year ago tonight that he became the 1st WCCW Cruiserweight Champion, and he intends on holding the belt for a long time to come. (B-)

-As the show starts, the announcers drop the bombshell - Bob Backlund has been injured and stripped of the World Title. Since news of this event, Commissioner Lothario and the WCCW Championship Committee have been scrambling to put tonight's event together. They decided on a 9-man tournament to award the vacant title tonight. They cut to Bill Mercer, who is standing near an interview podium where a bracket shows the participants in the tournament. Mercer explains that there are three tiers to the tournament. The man with the strongest claim to the title, David Von Erich (who had previously earned a title shot tonight), will advance directly to the semi-finals. 4 current WCCW wrestlers, who already had matches signed for tonight, will still compete in those matches - but now, those matches will take place in the quarter-finals of this tournament (Inoki v. Koloff, and Mendoza v. Sullivan - still for the TV title). Finally, 4 outside wrestlers, who just signed with the WCCW within the last few days to participate in this tournament, will wrestle in the first round: Dory Funk Jr. v. Mr. Saito, and Frank Dusek v. The Masked Superstar. So, Mercer sums up, standing next to the bracket: (B-)

WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Tournament:

First Round:
Masked Superstar v. Frank Dusek
Mr. Saito v. Dory Funk Jr.

Quarterfinal Round:
Arturo Mendoza v. Kevin Sullivan (match is also for the TV Title)
Antonio Inoki v. Nikita Koloff
Funk/Saito winner v. Superstar/Dusek winner

Semifinal Round:
David Von Erich v. Sullivan/Mendoza winner
Inoki/Koloff winner v. Superstar/Saito/Funk/Dusek winner

World Heavyweight Championship Match:
TBD

-In a previously taped interview, Lance Russell interviews David Von Erich about the shocking events that led to this tournament. David says it's tough to switch gears - he's been focusing on Backlund for weeks, and now, he has no idea who he'll have to face tonight. David though, says he has the clear advantage in this tournament, and he promises to bring the gold back to the Von Erich family. (C)

-Dory Funk Jr. cuts a promo hyping his great career, his debut tonight in WCCW, and his 1st round match with Mr. Saito. Funk puts over his brother Terry, who recently left World Class after losing to Bob Backlund. Funk says that after tonight's tournament, he hopes to settle some of his brother's old scores. (C+)

-WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Tournament
-1st Round Match
Dory Funk Jr defeats Mr. Saito by countout 14:56. (B). The match suffered from a lack of selling.

-Bill Mercer interviews Frank Dusek who makes his return to WCCW tonight in the the tournament. Dusek cuts a babyface promo, and says that it's great to be back - especially since he's no longer managed by Gary Hart. Dusek says he knows that he's the underdog in tonight's tournament, but notes that he's had some big runs in WCCW tournaments in the past. (C) Bill Mercer then interviewed Dusek's 1st-round opponent, The Masked Superstar, who put over his wrestling skills and his endurance. He claims he's better conditioned to win 4 matches in one night than anyone else. (C)

-1st Round Match
The Masked Superstar defeats Frank Dusek in 0:55 by pinfall in a dominating victory. (B)

-The Villanos defeat The Grapplers in 7:05 when Villano IV pinned Grappler #2. (C+)

-A music video hypes the reign of TV Champion Arturo Mendoza. (B+) Bill Mercer interviews Kevin Sullivan about his upcoming Television Championship/Quarterfinal Tournament match with Mendoza. Sullivan says that everyone wants to talk about who's not here tonight - including Bob Backlund and Dick Murdoch. Sullivan says everyone should be talking about who is here - Kevin Sullivan, the next TV and World Champion. (B)

-Quarterfinal Match
Arturo Mendoza defeats Kevin Sullivan (w/Ray Stevens) in 11:49 by DQ after botched interference from Stevens. (A+). Mendoza makes his 5th defense of the TV Title. After the match, Sullivan and Stevens are arguing in the ring. Sullivan is very angry, and shoves Stevens to the ground. He makes an arm motion signaling that he's done with Stevens' services as a manger, and walks away. (B-)

-A video hypes the recent war of words been Antonio Inoki, who had been seeking an "international challenger", and Nikita Koloff, who accepted that challenge for tonight. (B) Inoki then cut a promo hyping the match. (B+). In the ring, Koloff's manager Skandor Akbar hyped the match as well. (B-)

-Quarterfinal Match
Antonio Inoki defeats Nikita Koloff (w/Skandor Akbar) in 5:40 by pinfall. (A). The two showed pretty good chemistry.

-Dory Funk Jr. comes to the ring for the next Quarterfinal Match - he looks confused as Gary Hart comes to the ring and joins him. Hart cuts a promo - he says that he put everything he had left into the contract for Kamala, and now, with Kamala's success, that deal has paid off. And just tonight says Hart, he's been negotiating with wrestlers backstage. Wrestlers who have everything it takes to be champions, except the leadership that he can provide. Hart then announces his newest client, as he continues to rebuild his stable - The Masked Superstar. (C+)

-Quarterfinal Match
The Masked Superstar (w/Gary Hart) defeats Dory Funk Jr. in 13:46 by pinfall after interference from Hart. (B+)

-The announcers note that we're now down to the final four in the world title tournament: David Von Erich, Arturo Mendoza, Antonio Inoki, and The Masked Superstar.

-A video hypes and recaps the feud between the teams of Koko B. Ware/Bobby Eaton and Steve Olsonoski/Doug Somers. The feud started when the new team of Olsonoski & Somers defeated the former World Tag Team Champions Eaton & Ware. Eaton & Ware have since been determined to prove to the world that that defeat was a fluke. (B-) Just as Olsonoski & Somers come out to cut a promo to hype the match, they are attacked from behind from Eaton & Ware, who beat down Olsonoski & Somers around the ringside area for several minutes before the match begins. (C+)

-Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware defeat Steve Olsonoski & Doug Somers in 2:36 when Eaton pinned Olsonoski. (B). Olsonoski & Somers got nothing going in the match after the pre-match attach. Eaton & Ware looked good. After the match, Eaton & Ware cut a promo at ringside mocking Olsonoski & Somers for their quick defeat. Eaton & Ware claimed that they were now back on top, and proclaimed themselves #1 Contenders for the World Tag Teams Titles, also individually as the top 2 Contenders for the World Heavyweight Championship. (B-)

-A video hypes and recaps the lengthy storyline involving Gary Hart, King Kong Bundy, and now Kamala. The video recaps Gary Hart's mental breakdown, where he lost his entire stable except Bundy - who appeared to suffer a mental breakdown of his own. Eventually, mounting losses and an inspiring talk from Kevin Von Erich convinced Bundy to fire Hart and go out on his own. Hart, at rock bottom, sold his house and put all his money together to purchase the managerial contract of Kamala from Skandor Akbar, who considered Kamala a "high risk asset" due to his probation status. Kamala, under Hart's leadership, immediately went on a dominating winning streak, allowing Hart to recover financially, and now, to seek revenge on Bundy. (C+) In the ring, Hart cut a promo hyping the match. (C+) As King Kong Bundy stepped through the ropes, he is immediately attacked by Kamala (B-)

-Kamala (w/Gary Hart) defeats King Kong Bundy in 3:49 by pinfall. (C) The two showed poor chemistry.

-Bill Mercer interviews Arturo Mendoza about his upcoming tournament semi-final match with David Von Erich. Mendoza said he never believed he'd be in this position - two matches from a World Championship. Mendoza says he's looked up to David for years, and can't wait for the match. (B-)

-Semi-Final Match
David Von Erich defeats Arturo Mendoza by pinfall in 6:41. (B+). Mendoza appears to be tired from his previous hard-fought match with Kevin Sullivan. The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, the two shake hands in a sign of respect.

-Semi-Final Match
The Masked Superstar (w/Gary Hart) defeats Antonio Inoki in 18:09 by pinfall. (A+) The two showed great chemistry. The match suffered from a lack of selling. After the match, a delirious Gary Hart hypes The Masked Superstar's tournament final match against David Von Erich. (C+)

-Commissioner Lothario comes to the ring to introduce the competitors in the upcoming 15-man battle royal, but Gary Hart is still in the ring. Hart explains that he's about to make yet another big splash. Hart introduces yet another new client, a man who is about to participate in the battle royal, the 6 foot 7, 364 lb. Big John Studd. (C)

-A stunned Lothario introduces the remaining participants in the battle royal: Iceman Parsons, Barry Orton, Al Perez, Don Bass, Dusty Wolfe, Owen Hart, Mark Youngblood, Billy Robinson, Mr. Pogo, Killer Tim Brooks, Al Perez, Charlie Cook, and El Halcon. Lothario then notes that the 15th scheduled participant had some travel difficulties and is unable to be here tonight. Lothario says that fortunately, however, one man has promised him he'd serve an alternate for the battle royal if needed. Lothario introduces WCCW legend Fritz Von Erich, who leaves the announce table and enters the ring to compete in the match (C-)

-Big John Studd wins the 15-man over the top rope battle royal. (B-). The order of elimination was as follows:
1. Owen Hart (eliminated by Big John Studd)
2. Perry Jackson (eliminated by Fritz Von Erich)
3. Barry Orton (eliminated by Fritz Von Erich)
4. Don Bass (eliminated by Billy Robinson & El Halcon)
5. Dusty Wolfe (eliminated by Big John Studd)
6. Mark Youngblood (eliminated by Charlie Cook)
7. Charlie Cook (eliminated by Al Perez)
8. Al Perez (eliminated by Killer Tim Brooks)
9. Iceman Parsons (eliminated by Killer Tim Brooks)
10. El Halcon (eliminated by Killer Tim Brooks)
11. Killer Tim Brooks (eliminated by Fritz Von Erich)
12. Mr. Pogo (eliminated by Fritz Von Erich & Billy Robinson)
13. Fritz Von Erich (eliminated by Big John Studd)
14. Billy Robinson (eliminated by Big John Studd)

-After the match, Gary Hart celebrated in the ring with Big John Studd. (C-)

-A video hypes and recaps the lengthy feud between the WCCW World Tag Team Champion Sheepherders and The Von Erichs. The Sheepherders defeated the Von Erichs for the gold several months ago when Kevin was injured. The Sheepherders then had been dominating the tag ranks for several months until Kevin returned. David Von Erich, who had earned a title shot for winning the King of Texas Wrestling Tournament for the 3rd straight year, and already had a guaranteed title shot tonight, decided to transfer his 2nd earned title shot to his brothers Kerry & Kevin to face the Sheepherders for the gold tonight. (C+)

The Von Erichs defeat The Sheepherders (w/Skandor Akbar) in 10:16 by DQ. The Sheepherders retain the titles. (B-) The Von Erichs dominate the match until an incident at ringside where Kevin appeared to notice something unusual about a camerman. Kevin followed the cameraman around ringside until the camerman struck him with the camera. A melee ensued, and the Sheepherders took the opportunity to strike Kerry with a chair, drawing a DQ. The camerman got just outside of the ringside area to the runway and then removed his baseball hat, wig, and glasses, revealing himself as Michael Hayes. Hayes then fled down the runway, with Kevin & Kerry in hot pursuit. Cameras followed the trio all the way out to the parking lot area. Kevin & Kerry followed Hayes outside and then found themselves the victim of a trap - they were surrounded by Hayes, and fellow freebirds Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts. The 5 brawled for several minutes outside the arena, with the Von Erichs holding their own until security personnel came to break up the fight. The Freebirds fled in a car. (B-)

-..The stunned announcers tried to regroup to call the World Championship Match. They note that it didn't appear that Kerry & Kevin were seriously injured.

-Championship Match
David Von Erich defeats The Masked Superstar (w/Gary Hart) to win the WCCW World Heavyweight Championship. (B+) David Celebrated in the ring. (B+)

THOUGHTS:

-Not a great show rating, but tonight, the goal was setting the stage for the next chapter of WCCW, and think the show definitely pulled that off. There was also some big match ratings that surprised me. More detailed thoughts to come....
Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #985
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Arturo Mendoza, Buddy Roberts, Les Thorton, The Masked Superstar, and Dory Funk Jr. are all exhausted after the last show.

-Thorton though, has completed his 3-appearance loan contract with us, and he's gone. He had a really solid run carrying lesser wrestlers.

-Jerry Lawler has rejected negotiations with us, saying we're not big enough. This will be a huge problem for us until we reach national status.

-Buddy Roberts is unhappy about his push. None of the Freebirds will be here for long.

-Parade of Champions was the last stand for the Federation stable. With Kevin Sullivan firing Ray Stevens, I send Stevens on his way as well. I also fire Vince McMahon.

-I sign Baron Von Raschke for 18 months at $1,725/show. Under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't be very interested in the 45-year old Raschke, but in this environment, where big stars want to be in the "big two", and Raschke may have had some kind of falling out with Verne Gagne and the AWA, it makes sense to bring him in, as he must be towards the top of the limits of star power that we can reach right now.

-It's another dark day in the wrestling industry, as Southwest Championship Wrestling, Mid-South Wrestling, and All-Star-Wrestling UK close down. The universe is down to 17 promotions - 2 National, 3 Cult, 9 Regional, and 3 Small. I'll have to check in to see who this might free up from WWC and Mid-South.

-Arn Anderson defeated Rick Martel for the AWA TV Title for the 2nd time.

-A number of wrestlers enter the universe, including Mick Foley, Sabu, and Jimmy Del Ray. Mr. Fuji officially retired.

-WCCW's latest challenge will come in the ending of its TV deal. I just screwed the timing of that one up. I requested negotiations with a lot of networks, and canceled my own deal (none of the networks will talk to me as long as I still had a running show). I didn't cancel my own show soon enough, which made the other networks go away, and then once my show canceled - it was too late. So it appears I'll be without TV for 3 months. I do still have a "pending business" entry regarding negotiations with my old network, but I think that ship has sailed. So for the next 3 months, we're going to have an innovative business model. We'll criss-cross the United States, and offer the weekly shows to PPV/closed circuit locations. That will cut into our weekly buyrates, and limit our audience, but for 3 months, it's do-able. I'll just take the opportunity to move the dynasty along a little faster, run cheap and save money, and thin out the roster before we come back for our new season in September.

Last edited by molson : 08-02-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #986
BYU 14
Coordinator

Where is Abdullah now? Getting Colon and him (if in WWC) would make for a nice hard core feud.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #987
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Where is Abdullah now? Getting Colon and him (if in WWC) would make for a nice hard core feud.

I was a little premature with that - it was SWCW that closed, not WWC just yet. Though WWC is in the red, and has 3 months to get get solvent or they will go under as well.

Abdullah retired at the end of last year. 24 years later, in real life, I see he's still getting in the ring once in a while.

If and when WWC does go under, Colon is definitely the prize that would be freed up. Though I wonder if he'll just immediately sign with one of the big two, like Tully Blanchard just did. (Blanchard was loyal throughout the dynasty to his father's SWCW promotion, but the very day it went under, he signed with ACW.)

Last edited by molson : 08-02-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #988
molson
General Manager

Finally finished up a CIV IV game (first win ever on Prince), so I'm back to making very gradual progress here.

PARADE OF CHAMPIONS THOUGHTS

-Like I said, not a great show ratings-wise, but there was a lot of promising things here, and the new direction of the company has been set.

-David wasn't the most exciting pick to win the title, and I did consider other options, but he made the most sense. While the AWA/ACW raids are going on, I can be sure that David isn't going anywhere. A lot of this decision, like others in the dynasty, was story-motivated as much as it was game-motivated. As in, I want to do things that would make sense in this universe, jut not succeed in the game. I couldn't bring myself to put the title on another babyface, like Inoki or Mendoza. And on the heel side, nothing made sense. I had a brief thought about the Masked Superstar winning the gold on his debut night, but I really didn't know what to except from him. Sullivan just didn't seem like he had the right momentum at this point with the implosion of his Federation stable. David's the guy.

-But I definitely have concerns. He doesn't seem to be capable of delivering consistent A+ matches like other guys on the roster might. This show had two A+ matches, and an A match, but none involved David.

-The first big highlight of the night was the A+ Kevin Sullivan/Arturo Mendoza match. That was pretty surprising because it involved two guys that I've really built up over the last year. Mendoza is creeping closer and closer to the main event. With the recent defections, Sullivan is there now.

-Inoki/Koloff also blew me away with an A. I think I might be underrating Inoki a bit. He gets a little whiny when I have him lose, but maybe he shouldn't. There's something odd about pushing Inoki as a main event babyface in Texas, especially since I've teased a heel turn with him the past. And he can't really play a heel. Koloff has only wrestled one other A rated match, with Buddy Rose last May.

-Things definitely came together for Gary Hart. Kamala gets a big win over King Kong Bundy, he introduces new client Big John Studd, who wins the battle royal, and then his other new client, The Masked Superstar makes it all the way to the finals. The Masked Superstar isn't an exciting guy, and he's sort of forgotten by history (at least with that gimmick), but it was around this time that he was apparently set to win the WWF Championship from Bob Backlund. I think he's a great value, and he lived up to my expectations tonight - with matches rating B, B+, A+, and B+. I don't expect as much from Big John Studd, but maybe he can develop into something passable. A tag team with Kamala could also be fun.

-I was pretty shocked to see Eaton/Ware v. Olsonoski/Somers pull a B rating. Wow. Olsonoski/Somers is like a late 80s AWA tag team or something, but they're gaining experience together and doing OK. I would develop more tag teams in such a manner, but it's pretty cost-restrictive on cult level when you have to pay per wrestler appearance.

-The Freebird/Von Erich stuff was pretty fun, too bad it really can't go anywhere with none of the Freebirds under long term contract. But it's another chapter in the long-term feud.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #989
molson
General Manager

WCCW - END OF MAY 1985 - MONTHLY REVIEW

POPULARITY

-Texas/Midsouth: 68.8% (down from 69.0% last month)
-Midwest: 67.0% (same as last month)
-Southeast: 62.4% (up from 61.6% last month)
-New England: 59.2% (up from 58.4% last month)
-Southwest: 58.6% (up from 57.8% last month)
-North West: 58.6% (up from 57.3% last month)
-Great Lakes: 58.1% (up from 57.1% last month)
-Mid Atlantic: 58.1% (up from 57.1% last month)
-Tri-State: 58.1% (up from 57.1% last month)
-Puerto Rico: 41.8% (up from 40.9% last month)

-With all the chaos of last month, not as much progress here. 71.1% is still the magic number to get to national status (I need that in 8 of these regions). Basically I need to get everywhere to around 69.0% where Texas is now, and then spend a ton of money and run crazy good shows for a few weeks to bust over that hump.

FINANCES

Income (Last month in parenthesis):

PPV Revenue: 567,544 (529,504)
Ticket Sales: 623,052 (613,504)
Sponsors: 136,863 (133,499)
Merchandise: 13,760 (16,480)

Expenses:

Worker Costs: 397,542 (366,225)
Show Costs: 151,500 (135,000)
Marketing: 25,000 (25,000)
Merchandise: 25,194 (25,233)
Production: 106,500 (103,500)
Misc: 515,136 (490,403)

Total Profit: $120,347 ($152,626)
Cash in Bank: $1,592,760 ($1,472,413)

-We have a pretty good cushion to get throw our summer recess from TV. We'll run 4 weekly shows in Texas, and the PPV there, and then 4 tour shows across the country.

Custom Merchandise Settings:

(All set to sell every type of merchandise, unless noted)

Very Low Level (T-Shirts, Misc., and Posters Only):
-David Von Erich
-Kerry Von Erich
-Kevin Von Erich

Very Low Level (T-Shirts Only)
-Iceman Parsons
-Bob Backlund
-Bobby Eaton
-Antonio Inoki
-Arturo Mendoza
-Baron Von Raschke
-Dory Funk Jr.

-A bunch of talent defections here changes the available merchandise - Funk, White, Piper, Hennig are out, Raschke and Funk Jr. are in. Merchandise is still a money pit at the moment, as I wait for the random financial turnound that has occurred a couple of times in this dynasty.
-Same levels as last month, except that Arturo Mendoza replaces the departed Tiger Mask, and we also add Leon White to the lowest level.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #990
molson
General Manager

WCCW CHAMPIONS - END OF MAY 1985

-World Heavyweight Champion - 100.0% Prestige (Same As Last Month)
Main Event Title
David Von Erich (Newly Crowned).

-Television Champion - 70.0% Prestige (Same As Last Month)
Midcard Title
Arturo Mendoza - (5 Title Defenses, 1-month reign)

-World Tag Team Champions - 70.0% Prestige (same as last month)
Midcard Title
The Sheepherders - (2 title defense, 3-month reign)

-Six-Man Tag Team Champions - 71.9% Prestige (up from 71.6% last month)
Main Event Title
Vacant

-Cruiserweight Championship - 38.9% Prestige (Up from 38.0% last month)
Low Level Title
Mike Von Erich - 4 title defenses, 6-month reign

-With the implosion of the Federation stable, the six-man-tag titles are vacant. It would be a perfect time to make those belts inactive, but I have an idea for them, so they'll continue in some form. And after all, I had that whole 2-month tournament to crown the last champion.

-Mike Von Erich has held the Cruiserweight Title for 6 months now, and he's actually held it 10 out of the 12 months of the belt's existence.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #991
molson
General Manager

WCCW STORYLINES - END OF MAY 1985

Storylines with participants and date of origin, in order of current heat:

1. Tag Team Title Storyline: Sheepherders v. Kerry/Kevin (April, recently evolved to include The Sheepherders, and to eliminate Tiger Mask/Kabuki, Mendoza/Bundy)
2. Hart Limited Drama: Gary Hart/Mendoza/Bundy/Villano IV (January)
3. Kamala's Rampage: Kamala/Parsons (March)
4. Tag Feud: Olsonoski/Somers v. Eaton/Ware (April)
5. The Freebirds Return (May)

Set to Debut:
-David v. Masked Superstar
-Robinson/El Halcon v. Grapplers
-Inoki/Sullivan

Lower midcarders and higher without a current or pending storyline:

-Mike Von Erich
-Nikita Koloff
-Killer Tim Brooks
-Frank Dusek
-Charlie Cook
-Villano V
-Mark Youngblood
-Don Bass

-A couple of big storylines end last month - Murdoch/Hennig, Inoki/Backlund, and White/Cook (which would have included Nikita Koloff had White not bailed for greener pastures)

-We have a bunch of new storylines set to debut, with some of the participants staying secret for now.

-This is definitely one area of the game I can improve on. Injuries, defections, and just screwing up and kept me from having hot storylines. I'll try to turn that around.

WRESTLER CONFLICTS

-The following wrestlers are unavailable on these days in June, as they consider these companies priorities over WCCW:

-Bobby Eaton (Wed)
-Buddy Roberts (Wed)
-Koko B. Ware (Wed)
-Michael Hayes (Wed)

-For the first time in well over a year, I have some conflicts to thing about. All of the above also work for the AWA, who is now their priority company on Wed nights, when I'll run our weekly Texas show.

EXCLUSIVE WORKERS

-These are the on-screen workers who happen to work for no one else but me. I'll try to give them a heavier workload, as they're the least likely to have fatigue issues. These guys are also relatively safer when it comes to talent cuts (this list does not include wrestlers who who are exclusively contracted to us, but as of the beginning of the month, have outstanding loan commitments with other promotions).

-Al Perez
-Antonio Inoki
-Baron Von Raschke
-Barry Orton
-Big John Studd
-Bill Mercer
-Billy Robinson
-Charlie Cook
-David Manning
-The Sheepherders
-David Von Erich
-Don Bass
-Doug Somers
-Dusty Wolfe
-El Halcon
-Frank Dusek
-Fritz Von Erich
-The Grapplers
-Jackie Fargo
-Jose Lothario
-Kamala
-Kerry Von Erich
-Kevin Sullivan
-Kevin Von Erich
-Killer Tim Brooks
-Mark Youngblood
-Mike Von Erich
-Mr. Pogo
-Mr. Saito
-Nikita Koloff
-Owen Hart
-Perry Jackson
-Ricky Romero
-Skandor Akbar
-Steve Olsonoski
-Terry Gordy
-The Masked Superstar
-Villano IV
-Villano V

WRESTLER COMPLAINTS

-Antonio Inoki is very unhappy about how often he has been jobbed
-Buddy Roberts is very unhappy about how often he's been unused on shows
-Michael Hayes is furious about how often he's been unsused on shows
-Nikita Koloff is very unhappy about how often he's been unused on shows.
-Terry Gordy is very unhappy about how often he's been unused on shows.

-It's a happier locker room than last month. Gordy/Hayes/Roberts will be gone soon, and I will protect Inoki more.

WRESTLER DISAGREEMENTS ABOUT PUSHES

-These are guys that have let me know they think they should be pushed better (including those listed above, whose complaints have risen to the level of affecting morale). (loan agreement workers designated by *). This doesn't include start-of-month changes.

-Big John Studd thinks he should be an upper midcarder
-Buddy Roberts* thinks he should be a main eventer
-Don Bass thinks he should be a midcarder
-Dusty Wolfe thinks he should be an Occasional Wrestler
-Kamala thinks he should be a main eventer
-Kerry Von Erich thinks he should be an upper midcarder
-Killer Tim Brooks thinks he should be a midcarder
-Nikita Koloff thinks he should be an upper midcarder
-The Masked Superstar thinks he should be a main eventer
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #992
molson
General Manager

Current Momentum Ratings (End of April, 1985), with last month is parenthesis.

A
Mr. Saito (N/A)

A-
None

B+
Dory Funk Jr. (N/A)

B
David Von Erich (B+)
Bobby Eaton (B-)

B-
Terry Gordy (B-)
El Halcon (C+)
The Masked Superstar (N/A)
Bob Backlund (B)
Arturo Mendoza (C)
Kevin Von Erich (C)
Kerry Von Erich (C+)

C+
King Kong Bundy (C)
Mike Von Erich (C)
Michael Hayes (N/A)
Villano IV (C+)
Grappler #1 (C)
Kevin Sullivan (C+)
Kamala (B-)
Villano V (C+)
Doug Somers (C)
Luke Williams (B-)
Steve Olsonoski (C)
Big John Studd (N/A)
Koko B. Ware (C)
Don Bass (N/A)
Antonio Inoki (C+)
Billy Robinson (C)

C
Killer Tim Brooks (N/A)
Butch Miller (B-)
Nikita Koloff (C+)
Mr. Pogo (C-)
Buddy Roberts (N/A)
Frank Dusek (N/A)
Iceman Parsons (C+)
Grappler #2 (C+)

C-
Charlie Cook (D+)

D+
Al Perez (D+)

D
None

D-
Perry Jackson (E+)

E+
Dusty Wolfe (E+)
Mark Youngblood (E+)
Barry Orton (E)

E
None

E-
None

F+
None

F
Owen Hart (F-)
-----------

Rising in May: Bobby Eaton, El Halcon, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, Arturo Mendoza, King Kong Bundy, Mike Von Erich, Grappler #1, Doug Somers, Steve Olonoski, Koko B. Ware, Billy Robinson, Mr. Pogo, Charlie Cook, Perry Jackson, Barry Orton, Owen Hart

Falling in May: David Von Erich, Bob Backlund, Kamala, Luke Williams, Butch Miller, Nikita Koloff, Grappler #2, Iceman Parsons

-A lot of positive momentum this month. That tends to happen when I job guys on the way out. Mr. Saito and Dory Funk Jr are off to a hot start after their solid match at Parade of Champions.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #993
molson
General Manager

ROSTER, END OF MAY, 1985
*Workers on loan contracts

MAIN EVENTERS

Bob Backlund
David Von Erich
Antonio Inoki
The Masked Superstar
Kevin Sullivan
Dory Funk Jr
Michael Hayes*

-Since last month, Curt Hennig, Dick Murdoch, and Terry Funk have departed. Bob Backlund is out a while with injuries. The Masked Superstar and Dory Funk Jr. debut into this group, and Michael Hayes and Kevin Sullivan are promoted up. Hayes gets to move up because I'm going to use him in one more blow-off match to this stage of the Von Erich storyline. Sullivan beats out Mendoza for the other spot, for now.

UPPER MIDCARDERS

The Sheepherders
Kevin Von Erich
Buddy Roberts*
Kamala
Arturo Mendoza
Bobby Eaton
Koko B. Ware
Mr. Saito
Baron Von Raschke

-Baron Von Raschke and Mr. Saito debut here - both could easily be main eventers, but I'll make them prove themselves. Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware move up again after a little stint further down the card. Roddy Piper departs from this group out of the company, and Kevin Sullivan and Michael Hayes are promoted up and out.

MIDCARDERS

Villano V
Kerry Von Erich
Iceman Parsons
Arturo Mendoza
The Grapplers
Steve Olsonoski
Nikita Koloff
Mike Von Erich
King Kong Bundy
Mr. Pogo
Terry Gordy
El Halcon
Billy Robinson

-Since last month, Leon White leaves the company from this group, and Bobby Eaton and Koko B. Ware are promoted up and out. El Halcon and Billy Robinson get promotions and replace them. I had been designating Robinson as an "occasional wrestler", but I've been booking him as a midcarder. It's kind of weird to see Kerry and Terry Gordy down here, but my booking team is pretty down on Gordy, and I've never been a huge fan of Kerry's work.

LOWER MIDCARDERS

Doug Somers
Villano IV
Mark Youngblood
Charlie Cook
Frank Dusek
Don Bass
Killer Tim Brooks

-Same group as last month with three debuts - Dusek and Brooks. Both are solid veterans on the downside of their careers.

OPENERS

Al Perez
Perry Jackson
Barry Orton
Owen Hart
Don Bass

-Same group as last month, with the addition of veteran heel Don Bass. This is probably a tad low for Bass, but with Orton and Jackson leaving the company in a few days, I need an extra guy down here to meet the minimum levels for my promotion size.

ENHANCEMENT TALENT

Dusty Wolfe

OTHERS

Skandor Akbar
Gary Hart
Lance Russell
Bill Mercer
David Manning
Jose Lothario
Fritz Von Erich
Ricky Romero
Jackie Fargo

-We trim a little of the fat here, as Ox Baker, Vince McMahon, and Ray Stevens are all gone. I could probably use another manager or two at some point.

CONTRACTS UP IN NEXT 60 DAYS

-Iceman Parsons (3 Days)
-Perry Jackson (4 Days)
-Barry Orton (4 Days)
-King Kong Bundy (5 Days)
-Kerry Von Erich (5 Days)
-Steve Olsonoski (6 Days)
-Mark Youngblood (6 Days)
-Terry Gordy (14 Days)
-Dusty Wolfe (25 Days)
-Lance Russell (27 Days)
-Owen Hart (28 Days)
-Doug Somers (28 Days)
-Nikita Koloff (29 Days)
-Kamala (35 Days)
-Ricky Romero (43 Days)
-Villano IV (53 Days)
-Villano V (53 Days

-We definitely have a fewer big contracts on the books with the departure of Piper, Funk, Murdoch, and Hennig. I assume I'll be able to sign Mike, Kerry, Bundy, Youngblood, and Olsonoski. Parsons, Orton, and Jackson will be gone in a few days. They better bring their jobbing boots to the next show.

Last edited by molson : 08-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #994
molson
General Manager

Monday, Week 1, June 1985
Santa Barbara, CA (Southwest - Tiny Venue)
Expected Attendance: 1,395 Ticket prices: $4 over Default
Actual Attendance: 1,000 (SOLD OUT)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Owen Hart defeats Perry Jackson in 5:54 by pinfall. (D+)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Al Perez defeats Barry Orton in 7:50 by pinfall. (D-). Perez was exhausted by the end of the match. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Perez about his win. (E+)

-Fritz Von Erich comes to the ring and recaps the results of the Parade of Champion show. He then introduces the new WCCW World Heavyweight Champion, David Von Erich, who comes to the ring. (D+) David cuts a lengthy promo where he hypes his title win, and runs off the names of some of the top contenders to his title. He says that the WCCW Championship Committee will name a #1 Contender soon, and that person will get a shot at the gold at June Star Wars. But, David says he plans on defending the title sooner than that. (C-) David Von Erich then talks about tonight's main event, where he'll face Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware in a tag team match. David says that he's honored to be teaming with a man he considers a mentor, and a man he has teamed with in Florida. David then introduces his tag team partner - Dory Funk Jr, who comes to the ring. (C). The two hype their main event match against Eaton & Ware. (C+)

-Frank Dusek defeats Killer Tim Brooks in 8:00 by pinfall. (C-) After the match, Bill Mercer interviews Dusek about his win. (D-)

-Billy Robinson & El Halcon drew with The Grapplers in 15:00 when the time limit expired. (B-). After the match, the 4 men continued to fight, with the Grapplers quickly gaining the upper hand. They performed their finishing move on the faces and leave them laying in the ring. (C)

-The Masked Superstar (w/Gary Hart) defeats Iceman Parsons in 7:31 by pinfall. (C+). After the match, Gary Hart interviewed Hart and the Masked Superstar, who put over Superstar's performance at Parade of Champions, winning 3 matches in one night. Hart hyped that once again, he has the most dominant organization in professional wrestling with The Masked Superstar, Kamala, and Big John Studd. (C-)

-Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware hyped their upcoming main event match with Funk & David Von Erich. (C+)

-David Von Erich & Dory Funk Jr. defeated Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware in 25:10 when Funk pinned Eaton. (B-). Eaton looked good. After the match, Funk and David celebrated in the ring for several minutes. (C+)

THOUGHTS:

-On these house shows, I'm not bringing along the expensive Lance Russell, and that negatively impacts all show ratings. But C+ in the southwest is fine and keeps us moving forward.

-I teamed David/Funk because they have experience working together as a team, from David's run in Florida. They'll definitely be an active alliance in the weeks and months to come. Tonight they get a standard, non-storyline match with Eaton/Ware, which was solid.

-Grapplers v. Robinson/Halcon was just as good, and much cheaper. Robinson and El Halcon are both among our top 8 most popular wrestlers in the southwest, so that definitely helped. This was a start of a storyline involving these two teams.

-With Orton and Jackson on the way out, Perez and Hart got to pick up rare wins on the pre-show.

-Killer Tim Brooks wasn't happy about jobbing to Frank Dusek, even though both are lower midcarders. Brooks is a former Texas and American Heavyweight Champion in WCCW, but those glory days are behind him. As for Dusek, he gets his first win since last August, in his previous WCCW run.

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #995
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Bobby Eaton, The Masked Superstar, and Dory Funk Jr. are exhausted after the last show.

-Terry Orndorff and Ludwig Borga are hyped as future stars in the dirt sheets

-I re-sign Kerry Von Erich for 9 more moths at $2,000/show, up from his previous $1,900/show deal, and a $2,000 downside. That's way too high for him. After that 9 months is over, I'll probably have to let him go on a hiatus, since every worker tends to demand a raise when they re-sign, and I can't in good conscious go any higher than that. The problem is, Fritz now refuses to deal with known steroid users, of which Kerry is definitely one. That block still has 22 months left on it. So if I let Kerry go after 9 months, I won't be able to bring him back at least for another 13 months.

-Mike Von Erich also re-signs for 9 months at $1,075/show, up from his previous deal of $850/show. I likewise can't see going to much further with him.

-Mark Younblood is a little cheaper, at $750/show, up from his previous deal at around $550/show. He obviously doesn't bring much to the table, but it's nice to keep the roster as stable as possible.

-Parade of Champions came in at a 1.41 buyrate, topping our previous high of 1.32. Each PPV has done better than the one before it.

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #996
molson
General Manager

-So over the summer, when we're without TV, we'll be running a weekly "Summer Nights" show in the Dallas area. This will be THE weekly show. Fans will get the info on the results and news of WCCW, and the monthly PPVs will be hyped.

-I'll pretty much book it as a TV show, and assume that fans have ready access to everything that happens at these shows, and the weekly house shows (perhaps through a newspaper column, radio show, 1-800 number, whatever).

-We'll send our main 3-man announce team (Lance Russell, Bill Mercer, and Fritz Von Erich) to these shows, just to ensure maximum ratings.

-We'll keep the storylines moving along, but as a somewhat slower pace than usual. I don't want things to be too crazily different by the time we get back on TV in September.

WCCW: Summer Nights
Wednesday, Week 1, June 1985
Dallas, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 4,350 Ticket Prices: ?? (Forgot to set)
Actual Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Charlie Cook defeats Owen Hart in 7:57 by pinfall. (D-)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Villano IV defeats Dusty Wolfe in 8:22 by pinfall. (C-). Wolfe seemed off his game.

-As the show starts, Dory Funk Jr. comes out to the ring and cuts a lengthy promo. He hypes his main event match tonight against Kevin Sullivan. Funk recaps his brother Terry's issues with the former Federation stable, and particularly Kevin Sullivan. Funk says that while his brother Terry has been forced to leave WCCW, he plans on settling some of Terry's old scores, starting tonight. Funk also hypes the new WCCW World Heavyweight Champion, and Funk's protege, David Von Erich. (B-)

-Lance Russell interviews WCCW Commissioner Jose Lothario. The two recap the results of Parade of Champions, and highlight WCCW's "summer season" schedule. They provide information on how WCCW fans can keep up with the goings-on in WCCW, and promise a big return to TV in September. Lothario hypes that he also has a couple of major announcements to make tonight, but he's saving those for the appropriate times. (C-)

-Kevin & Kerry Von Erich defeat Perry Jackson & Barry Orton in 7:42 when Kerry pinned Orton. (C-). Kevin and Kerry looked good. After the match, Lance Russell interviewed The Von Erichs about their win, and especially, about the ambush attach by the Freebirds at Parade of Champions. The Von Erichs reveal that there has been a lot of back and forth between they and the Freebirds in recent months. The Freebirds have challenged The Von Erichs to a series of matches, and the Von Erichs have refused, choosing to honor the stipulation of last summer's Cage Clash event. The Freebirds were persistent, and week after week have tried to convince the Von Erichs to face them in a WCCW ring once again. The Von Erichs say they continued to ignore them. At Parade of Champions, however, The Freebirds took things to another level, and involved themselves in the the Von Erichs' World Tag Title match, costing them the belts, and trying to incapacitate them outside the arena. The Von Erichs say they've had it, and against their better judgment, they've decided to face the Freebirds once again. The Von Erichs say they've agreed to two matches that have been cleared by WCCW Commissioner Lothario. Next week, in Dallas, Kevin & David Von Erich will face Buddy Roberts & Terry Gordy in a tag team match. Then, at June Star Wars, Kerry Von Erich will face Freebird leader Michael Hayes 1-on-1. Kerry says that Michael Hayes doesn't deserve, EVER, to be in a WCCW ring again, so that match will take place in the parking lot behind the arena. (C)

-As the interview is wrapping up, Commissioner Lothario enters the ring. He has he has been working around the clock to find out how exactly Michael Hayes was able to breach WCCW security and disguise himself as a WCCW cameraman at Parade of Champions. Lothario says that several leads all pointed to the assistance of one man - Skandor Akbar, the manager of the WCCW World Tag Team Champion Sheepherders. Lothario says the evidence, which he wouldn't reveal the nature of, was indisputable - Akbar was behind the security breach. Commissioner Lothario says at this time, he has no choice but to strip the Sheepherders of the World Tag Team Titles, and award them to the Von Erichs. As far as the WCCW record books are concerned, the Von Erichs won the tag titles at Parade of Champions. (C). The Von Erichs celebrate in the ring as the arena erupts. (C+). After a brief consultation, The Von Erichs tell Lothario that he's made the right decision, but they'd like to solidify their claim to the titles by defeating The Sheepherders in a match - they ask Lothario to make a title match between the two teams. Lothario agrees, the match will take place in Dallas in two weeks: Kerry & Kevin Von Erich v. The Sheepherders for the World Tag Team Titles. (C+)

-Frank Dusek defeats Don Bass in 6:54 by pinfall. (C-). The two showed poor chemistry. After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Frank Dusek about his win. (C-). Dusek further established himself as a babyface, playing to the crowd.

-The Masked Superstar (w/Gary Hart) defeats Iceman Parsons in 9:31 by pinfall. (B-). After the match, Bill Mercer interviewed Hart about his client. Hart puts over The Superstar's performance at Parade of Champions, where he won 3 matches in one night. Hart notes that the WCCW Championship Committee will be naming a #1 Contender to David's World Title soon, and that they should look no further than the Masked Superstar. (C+)

-Non-Title Match
Arturo Mendoza defeats Killer Tim Brooks in 11:03 by pinfall. (B). After the match, Lance Russell interviewed Mendoza about his win. (B+). Russell also relayed news about Mendoza's TV Title. During the summer season, with WCCW taking a 3-month break from TV, the "random drawing" TV Title challenger format is being put on hiatus. The TV Championship will be defended only during the monthly PPV event, and against a challenger determined not randomly, but by the WCCW Championship Committee. That committee will determine Mendoza's challenger at June Star Wars by next week.

-Kevin Sullivan drew with Dory Funk Jr. by double countout in 18:02 after the two men were brawling outside of the ring. (A). The two showed great chemistry, but the match suffered from a lack of selling. After the match, Sullivan got the upper hand and began beating down Funk, until Antonio Inoki made the save. (B)

-Overall Show Rating: B

THOUGHTS:

-Very good show. I think I did I put the matches in the right order here to generate the best rating I could.

-Great main event between Dory Funk Jr. and Kevin Sullivan - I imagine they brawled all over the arena. They're not heading towards a feud with each other, which is kind of too bad after the chemistry they showed. Inoki makes the seemingly random save here, but he's entering into a feud with Sullivan.

-Arturo Mendoza really looked like a main event star tonight. First, he drags Killer Tim Brooks to a solid match. Then, a B+ interview.

-This was last WCCW show, at least for a while, for Iceman Parsons, Perry Jackson, and Barry Orton. It's especially sad to see Parsons go, who has been here since the beginning. I hope to bring him back in 6 months, maybe at a lower cost.

-Don Bass is kind of an old-school heel, with a vague cowboy gimmick. He won't win many matches. Either will Frank Dusek, but he's getting a little push to start out with, winning 2 consecutive matches.

-The Von Erich stuff was a little wacky. It basically all happened because I set the Von Erichs to win by DQ at Parade of Champions, but the game gave them the titles anyway. Not sure what I keep screwing up there. I might have forgotten to check "cheap win" or something. But, I like how it turned out, ultimately. Akbar thought he could hold onto the titles for the Sheepherders by getting Michael Hayes a job as a cameraman - Hayes of course being motivated to screw over the Von Erichs. The plan works, but they're caught, and get stripped of the gold. A perfect move for a babyface authority figure.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #997
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-The Masked Superstar and Dory Funk Jr. are exhausted after the last show

-Iceman Parsons is officially gone from WCCW. His highlight was probably a mini-feued challenging Bobby Eaton for the World Heavyweight Championship. He also scored a big upset over Bob Backlund on TV. I'll also remember him as being the third-man, unwilling to get involved in the Bruno/David Sammartino drama as he saw his six-man tag team implode. Going back to 1983, he had a big rivalry with Buddy Roberts over the TV Title. He also teamed with Chris Adams, who eventually turned on him

-Barry Orton & Perry Jackson are also officially gone. I'll give them both another look in 6 months - I think that would be Orton's 3rd run with WCCW.

-ACW National Heavyweight Champion Greg Valentine re-signed with ACW. That's probably the most prestigious belt in the world right now.

-I am unable to come to terms with King Kong Bundy, who demanded a huge raise. His previous deal was $1,375/show, and I offered $1,800/show - it wasn't enough. I'm quite content to let him go with those kinds of demands. It's tough to see another "WCCW dynasty original" move on. Bundy has taken a couple of high-profile losses as of late, but he was in line for what I thought would be an interesting storyline. After a series of losses (including to Kamala) he was going to approach former tag team partner Arturo Mendoza, looking to re-form their old tag team. Mendoza would be reluctant, since he's focused on the TV, and perhaps World Title, and in addition - he hasn't forgiven Bundy for failing to immediately follow him out of Gary Hart's stable. Bundy would have gotten pissed off about the rejection, and re-joined Hart's stable, perhaps forming a tag team with Big John Studd. But now - he'll be gone in about a week. Bundy was with Gary Hart throughout the dynasty until pretty much the very end, when Kevin Von Erich convinced him to branch out on his own. Before that, he was involved in a pretty successful tag team with Arturo Mendoza - though they were unable to win the belts. Most of his time was spent in the epic Tiger Mask/Kabuki/Bundy/Mendoza storyline, with generated great matches whenever I needed them.

-Steve Olsonoski is much more reasonable, re-signing for 9 more moths at $850/show, a raise from his old $775/show deal. His team with Doug Somers is really blossoming, so he's worth the investment.

-With the departure of Bundy and Parsons, I'm down to only the Von Erichs, Gary Hart, Skandor Akbar, Jose Lothario, and David Manning as continuous employees since the beginning of this dynasty. Of course, a few, like Bill Mercer and Frank Dusek, were here at the beginning, left, and have since come back.

-Jerry Lawler and Rick Martel won the vacant Portland Wrestling tag team championship. With the death of his Memphis promotion, Lawler seems to have adopted Portland as his new hometown - he's also that promotion's Heavyweight Champion.

-Dory Funk Jr. has left his position as head booker of Mid-Atlantic - it will be interesting to see who they pick up. I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'll be running WCCW until whenever I give up on this dynasty.

-I had requested negotiations with Englishman "Giant Haystacks" (later "Loch Ness" in WCW), and am surprised to see that he only wants $525/show. The death of all wrestling promotions in the UK have created desperate wrestlers and good deals. I bring him in. He has VERY limited overness in the US, but he's one of the few legitimate "giants" in wrestling. He has "A" rated looks, "B" in power, the basics, and toughness, and B- in charisma, brawling, and menace. No reason I can't build him up to something interesting. The only downside is that he only works well as a heel, and I'm pretty heel-heavy at this point. I also bring in a fellow Englishman, Johnny Saint, at a mere $950/show. Saint is very interesting - he's 44 years old, but something of a legend in the UK - "A" ratings in Chain Wrestling, Submissions, Stamina, and The Basics. Apparently, he's one of the great mat wrestlers of all time. He can only really play a babyface, so an alliance with Giant Haystacks may be tough to pull off. He's also a lightweight, and thus eligible for the WCCW Crusiderweight Championship. I also can't help myself and bring in Mark Rocco, also from the UK, at $975/show. Rocco is best at playing a heel, and like Johnny Saint, is simply one of the best wrestlers in the history of the UK. If I can increase their overness in Texas, I'll have a real steal on my hands. I guess the tentative plan is to align Rocco with Haystacks, and have Saint work as a face. Perhaps I should also bring back Lord Alfred Hayes to throw into the mix - I request negotiations.

-The AWA has signed Jerry Lawler - so his new adopted hometown of Portland, Or may lose their favorite son.

-The dirt sheets hype Dizzy Ed Hogan (aka Brutus Beefcake, Ed Boulder, Brother Bruti, The Butcher, The Man With No Name, The Man With No Face, The Booty Man, The Zodiak, The Disciple - did I miss any?) as a future star.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #998
molson
General Manager

Monday, Week 2, June 1985
Wichita, KS (Midwest - Very Small Venue)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Killer Tim Brooks defeats Mark Youngblood in 7:53 by pinfall after grabbing the ropes for leverage. (C-) After the match, Brooks cut a promo, hyping his win. (D)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
El Halcon defeats Dusty Wolfe in 5:45 by submission. (C)

-As the main show starts, WCCW Commissioner Lothario comes to the ring, welcomes the fans, and fills everyone in on recent developments in WCCW. He then introduces WCCW's most recent signing, who his making his first WCCW appearance tonight - Baron Von Raschke, who comes to the ring. (C). Raschke cuts a promo establishing himself as face, and hypes himself a grizzled old vet who has seen it all but has a lot left in the tank. (C+)

-Baron Von Raschke defeats Grappler #1 (w/Grappler #2) in 11:58 by submission, despite interference from Grappler #2. (B).

-Bill Mercer interviews Mark Rocco, who hypes his upcoming debut match against fellow Englishman Johnny Saint. Rocco hypes his wrestling skill and amateur background, and comes across as a cocky heel. (F+). Mercer also interviews Saint, who has a "no gimmick needed" type gimmick - he says he's just here to wrestle. (E-)

-Johnny Saint drew with Mark Rocco in 10:00 when the time limit expired. (B-)
The two men argued in the ring for a minute or two after the match ended. (F+)

-Billy Robinson defeated Grappler #2 (w/Grappler #1) in 6:33 by submission. (B-). Early in the match, Grappler #1 interfered, which led to El Halcon emerging from the locker room area to assist his tag team partner, Robinson. After the match, Robinson cut a promo about his win, and how he and El Halcon would like to take on The Grapplers in a tag match. (C)

-Lance Russell interviews Skandor Akbar and the recently-stripped WCCW tag team champion Sheepherders - who still carry the WCCW Tag Team Championship belts. Akbar dares Commissioner Lothario to come to the ring and take the belts away himself. After Lothario fails to appear, Akbar says there's nothing Lothario or anyone else can do about it - The Sheepherders have the belts, so they're still the champs. (C)

-The Sheepherders (w/Skandor Akbar) defeat Owen Hart & Al Perez in 4:49 when Williams pinned Hart. (C). Williams looked good. After the match, The Sheepherders cut a promo, saying that if Kevin & Kerry want another shot at their titles, they can have one any time. (C)

-WCCW World Heavyweight Champion David Von Erich comes to the ring with his mentor Dory Funk Jr. The two hype their main event tag team match against the new team of Mr. Saito & Mr. Pogo. They say they're not taking the tough Japanese duo lightly. David also mentions his tag team match with Kevin Von Erich against Buddy Roberts & Terry Gordy this week - saying that he's one member of the Von Erich family who has been campaigning to let the Freebirds wrestle in WCCW so he can kick their ass all over again. David also says that this week, he'll also decide his first challenger for his heavyweight championship (C)

-David Von Erich & Dory Funk Jr. defeat Mr. Saito & Mr. Pogo in 21:58 by pinfall when David pinned Saito. (B). Funk looked good. After the stiff match, the four men brawled around ringside for several minutes, with Saito and Pogo generally getting the upper hand until the fight was broken up by road agents. (C)

-Overall Show Rating: B-

THOUGHTS:

-Decent enough rating. The main even was really just a chance to give these two combinations a little experience as teams, as I expect to use them a lot in high profile situations in the future. Saito is a little higher in talent and overness than Pogo, but I think Pogo can hang with him. Pogo has an awful W/L record thus far in WCCW, but I still think this is a believably dangerous team, as Pogo usually jobs to top guys. Unfortunately Pogo/Saito have zero chemistry as a team. That won't keep me from going forward with a storyline I have in mind, it just means it won't be a long-lived team.

-I otherwise filled out the card with a lot of our guys who have overness in the midwest. This also highlighted the aging of my roster - I have 7 active wrestlers over 40.

-Billy Robinson was intended to just be an occasional attraction, but he's still pretty good. Tonight he helped plant the seeds for a Grapplers v. Halcon/Robinson feud. This is kind of a lower-level feud - the Villanos defeated The Grapplers at Parade of Champions, so I see them as higher up on the totem pole.

-The debut of the UK wrestlers was interesting - these guys are completely unknown in the U.S. so their interviews bombed. But their match was very solid, much better than I expected. These guys will be a steal - I just need to keep them off the mic.

-Baron Von Raschke makes his debut and has a solid match with Grappler #1. I don't have any specific storyline plans at the moment for the Baron, he'll just wrestle for a while. I definitely have the ingredients for a babyface "old age outlaws" type stable or tag team with some combination of The Baron, Dory Funk Jr, and Billy Robinson.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #999
BYU 14
Coordinator

Nice debut for Von Raschke, especially considering he is getting up there. I am interested to see what you end up doing with the Baron.

"Dat is all da people need to know!"
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #1000
PilotMan
Head Coach

POST 1000!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Now celebrate by giving us some more!

Like Steam?