Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Computer Troubles

Was on the computer this morning, doing my normal stuff, heard a rattling noise in my computer (which I have heard a couple times in the past 2 months or so, with no trouble afterwards) and then the video I was watching started slowing down then stopped altogether and the whole computer was frozen, had to turn off the tower manually.

Let it sit for a few minutes tried to turn it back on-monitor didn't come on, bootup process started then the computer shut down. Tried a couple times same thing. Let it sit half hour or so, monitor came on, and the Windows did not shut down normally appeared, clicked start windows normally and it froze again.

I know next to nothing about the insides of a computer, so any idea what's going on here and how I can fix it?

thanks for the help.

Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You had a fan die. Take the case off, and when you power it up check the fans, especially over the CPU and video card. If neither spins up, you need to replace it. I've successfully replaced a fan on an old ATI 9600 video card, haven't tried with the more modern ones.

If both of those spin up fine, the power supply may be it.

I suspect the CPU fan/heatsink though, because the motherboard will shut down if the CPU gets too hot.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm with gstelmack.. if you have a video card that's not built into the mother board, I would bet it's that fan.. if not CPU fan or power supply.

If you let it sit for a few hours, then it comes back on for a little bit, definitely would think it's the CPU fan.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I agree. Check the fans inside. Only other things I can think of is a cord got hooked on a fan and caused the noise and maybe the fan to stop working. I had something like that happen once.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm with gstelmack.. if you have a video card that's not built into the mother board, I would bet it's that fan.. if not CPU fan or power supply.

If you let it sit for a few hours, then it comes back on for a little bit, definitely would think it's the CPU fan.

Yeah I was away most of the day, and tried to turn it back on-was able to get through the windows didn't start normally part but then hung starting windows. Haven't had the chance to look inside the case yet. Have a separate video card. How difficult is it going to be to replace a CPU (or any) fan?

Thanks guys for the help here.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah I was away most of the day, and tried to turn it back on-was able to get through the windows didn't start normally part but then hung starting windows. Haven't had the chance to look inside the case yet. Have a separate video card. How difficult is it going to be to replace a CPU (or any) fan?

Thanks guys for the help here.

It depends on the CPU fan and the case. Mine is actually fairly difficult to replace, because I have a Core i7 which mounts through the motherboard but my case does not have a cutout in the back to get to the pins from behind. Newer ones do, and older CPUs can be easier to get off. If you have no realy building experience, best bet may be a local computer shop, where you can buy a new cooler and have them install it. As long as the labor doesn't cost $100 or something absurd.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

okay so I had a guy look at my computer-he replaced the power supply, checked fans etc-and he thinks the problem is with the liquid cooling system I have on that computer-which I have no clue about and he doesn't deal with. Is it likely a regular computer shop in town can fix/replace it, or am I better off going back to the manufacturer (Ibuypower) with it?