Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #1651
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Weight is still dropping - I'm at 185 and trending downward. The vacation and then my best friend's death got me off a bit, but I'm back in the saddle again.

This board could totally win the internet version of an office vs. office "Biggest Loser" competition.

How many guys do we have here who've dropped like...1/3 of their body weight?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #1652
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Weight is still dropping - I'm at 185 and trending downward. The vacation and then my best friend's death got me off a bit, but I'm back in the saddle again.

Sounds like you've had a really nice downward path in the time you've been posting in this thread. How long had it been since you last saw 185?

What does your current exercise/diet regimen look like? From previous posts, it sounded like you were really well versed in fitness routines associated with weight loss so I would be interested to hear how your programs have changed as your weight has dropped, if at all.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #1653
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Sounds like you've had a really nice downward path in the time you've been posting in this thread. How long had it been since you last saw 185?

What does your current exercise/diet regimen look like? From previous posts, it sounded like you were really well versed in fitness routines associated with weight loss so I would be interested to hear how your programs have changed as your weight has dropped, if at all.

Shit, sorry I missed this.

The last time I saw 185? This morning. In all seriousness, I haven't been this light since 1993-1994 or so. I'm going to try to edge into the 170s at some point relatively soon. It'll help on a few adventures I'm considering.

My current diet (when I'm on it) is around 1,700 calories per day. That's not much and I struggle with that number. When I was sick last week, I probably consumed closer to 3,000 cals per day - my old "normal" diet. I've been a little more willing to cheat lately, which is the reason why my weight has been steady at 185 rather than dropping into the 170s. And I've had some bad weeks - 2 weeks on vacation, my sick week last week, a business travel week, the week I had to bury my best friend...those weren't great diet weeks. But I haven't gone up and that's the main thing.

As for the exercise, yeah, I'm still on it. I can do so much more now that I couldn't do before. A couple of years ago it was a major struggle to work out on an elliptical. Now? I ran a 5k a week and a half ago in 24:49. That was good for 9th out of 54 in my age group. Last year I ran that same 5k in 30:17 (26th/50). Two years ago I'd have been lucky to break 40 minutes.

So my exercise varies depending on what I want to do. I went to Yosemite earlier this year and knew I was going to hike 15 miles, so I spent a lot of time this spring running and hiking. I've tried to maintain that with sporadic results during some trying times in August and September, but I've done ok. Now that it's getting colder, I'll probably spend a bit more time on weight training for a while.

This coming year I'm going to Colorado Springs. I'm pondering climbing (hiking) a 14ker, so I'll need to get back on the hiking thing early in the spring. I probably won't drop jogging altogether during the winter, simply because it's the best cardio training I can do. I'm also debating on trying a duathlon (5k run, 25k ride, 3k run) next spring/fall, so I'm considering buying a road bike. There are enough warm days (50s) during the winter here that I could break out the bike a few times in preparation for serious springtime training.

So to answer your question, what's changed is that I can do what I want to do when it comes to exercise. I'm not limited by sore feet anymore. I'm not limited because I can't run to the end of the block. I'm not limited because my knees hurt. As I told my wife, "I kind of like seeing what I can put my body through" because I get surprised at the results. For example, I decided to throw in P90x Chest and Back yesterday. I haven't done that routine in months. The pull-ups were brutal - I didn't get too many of those unassisted - but I did manage to bang out 280 pushups of various types, which is basically what the ultra-fit people in the video do. That's a new personal best, too - even after the end of a 90-day P90x routine last year, I was only at about 250 pushups. So to dive right in and bang out 280? Yeah, I'm sore today...but that felt good, too.

Last edited by Blackadar : 10-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #1654
Radii
Head Coach

Quick update from me, I had my regular diabetic followup visit with my Dr today, my numbers all look spectacular. Blood sugar measurements are even better than my last visit (A1C = 5.1%, which is basically perfection). So that's the good news. Also I haven't gained any weight, so that's good too.

The bad news is that I haven't lost any more weight since early Setpemeber and feel really stagant. Additionally, my energy level has been completely in the tank for some time. Every time I see my doctor he says "you're losing more weight and your bloodwork looks great! You must feel a lot better and have more energy!" and the answer is "no, I feel like shit." and its getting really frustrating.

Next step is a sleep study. Sleep Apnea/poor quality sleep would explain why I feel like ass despite doing most of the right things and having complete control over diabetes. I should hear more about this in the next couple weeks.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1655
Comey
College Starter

I've been holding steady between 175-180. Pretty much my target weight, so this is progress. As muscle comes back on, I imagine I'll get to 185-190, which works for me.

Anyway, I update to say that, even with keeping really late hours the past two nights (due to a very attractive woman), I ran the Tarzan Brown race here in Mystic (a 5.5-mile run that is in its 37th year) in 35:04, in my first time in this race, or any road race. That was four seconds away from what I considered to be an outlandish goal. I was hurt at work a month ago, which kept me from running for two weeks. I only got back in because of a PT strap a guy at the YMCA (where I work part-time as a wellness and sports instructor) recommended to me. I also started cramping hard during mile two, mainly because a head cold kept me from catching proper breath.

Last year at this time, I couldn't run half a mile. I frequently took pinch-runners whenever I got on base. Now, I finished 35th overall, sixth in my age group. The fact that I was able to do that, despite the obstacles, despite Sandy taking my final week of proper training, and despite said pretty woman keeping me out all hours of the night (my choice)...hell, I even worked at the Y from 7-11 this morning...to manage that time kind of astounds me.

I can't wait to race again. Gonna take a couple of days off, and then jump right back in.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1656
corbes
College Benchwarmer

An update:

In July 2011 I was 5'7, 173 pounds (27.1 BMI). My biggest weight-related problems: (1) eating for comfort rather than because I was hungry; (2) snacking before dinner; and (3) not getting enough exercise.

I had a one-year old at the time. Absolutely no time to exercise during the day. But I bought an elliptical trainer and started working out at night, after she went to bed. More importantly, I focused on not cramming food into my face for comfort reasons, and on eliminating snacks.

I posted in this thread throughout the fall of 2011.

I am now about 130 pounds (20 BMI). It's the first time I've been this size since about 1993, and I've now maintained this weight since the spring. I've had to buy a new wardrobe. I've been using the elliptical about four-five times per week for the past year and a half and doing well with the snacking--making conscious choices about when to snack, and what to eat. My main source of support was posting in this thread, and reading the successes of others.

I'm now at something of a high-water mark: we've just had another baby and I don't expect to be able to use the elliptical at night nearly as much, if at all, for the next year or so. I've been eating comfort food pretty often since his birth a week ago (also, the holidays) and snacking much more.

I don't expect to be able to continue the full regimen in the near future--the new addition will change the routines, and what's realistic. But I do hope that I've changed my habits enough to be able to maintain my weight rather than allowing to escalate up and up and up, as it did in recent years.

So I'm posting now to acknowledge what I've accomplished over the past year and a half, and to challenge myself to find new ways of maintaining healthy habits that exist in balance with family time.

Best wishes for a new year of healthy habits, everyone.
-DC
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #1657
sabotai
General Manager

A short little update for me. I'm back at 240 from 245 in August (5 pounds lost in over 4 months is still 5 pounds I suppose). I just moved, so I had that to deal with. Now I'm starting to get back into my routine just in time for yet another year of attempted resolutions.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #1658
hoopsguy
General Manager

Corbes - great work on your weight loss, diet changes, and exercise regiment. Sounds like you've done a good job putting yourself in position to keep the weight off even with the new kid in the mix.

I've really struggled to sustain the progress I had established in 2011 - have gained about half of the weight back that I had lost (high = 189, low = 163) despite getting more exercise over the past couple of months. I need to start cracking down again on diet, both portions and making a little better choices on food.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #1659
xjayex
n00b

12 years ago I tore my Acl. During the recovery, I discovered Diablo II and go deep into pc and ps gaming. I was at 235. It was a good weight. It was only 10 pounds over my football playing weight. 11 years later, I weighed 345 pounds.

In April, my wife and I decided to go to the gym and start a diet. Since then, I've dropped 45-50 pounds. I weigh between 295 and 300, depending on the day.

I got off track with the holidays happening and just feeling like a boss due to the weight loss. Now it's time to go back.

At 6'3 I think I wanna be around 250's but we will see.
xjayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1660
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I thought I remembered we had a weight loss thread and there it is and I'm checking in.

As most of you know, I've been practicing martial arts for a little while, 10 years this March in fact, and I am a second degree black belt in Karate Kenpo. I've been the proud owner and sensei of my own dojo since May of 2011 and while still working my day job, most of my free time that I used to train in these last two years has gone into teaching since I can't really afford other teachers at my dojo. More than that, having lots to do and having gone through a very busy first year with the dojo, I found myself indulging with snacks and such a lot over Summer in 2012.

I have never, NEVER really paid attention to my weight. Of course, I weighed myself every once in a while but always figured my 200-205 lbs wieght on a 5'11" frame was ok. That was until last Fall. One particular evening comes to mind as I had trouble tieing my shoes. I thought to myself, dammit man, you have to start being more careful what you put into your body. My wife went into a big calorie counting frenzy a couple years back and then, by shear willpower, lost 50 lbs. I decided that I would start doing what she had done which was watch my portions and control my snacking (i.e. no potato chips in the evening other than rare special occasions for example). Was looking for a simple app that would graph my weight evolution on my iPhone and I found Lose It!. It does a lot more and I started using it to count calories, setting a reasonable caloric budget that should allow me to lose a simple half pound every week. I started logging almost everything I ate without going absolutely crazy. I still ate chicken wings or potato chips when watching football, yet I was always under my caloric budget over the wek and the pounds started coming off.

From 204lbs on September 17 to 193.5 a month later (Oct 17) to 187.5 on November 17 to 181.5 on December 17 to finally 176.5 today. From a BMI of 28 or so to 24.5.

I have readjusted my objective from 195 to 175 to 170 last week. I think 170 would be a nice weight, and possibly a weight at which I have not been since I started dating my wife 20 years ago.

I don't train much but I am active almost every evening. Teaching martial arts, while it's not the same as actually training for it, is still making you move as you demonstrate what you are teaching.

I also do not pay much attention to nutrients and such. We eat fairly equilibrate meals so I'm pretty sure I am getting enugh of everything. The only thing I really track is my caloric intake.

Anybody else into calory counting, or are there even other Lose It! users around here?

FM
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #1661
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

as I read through back posts, I see that both molson and Blackadar posted about calorie counting, and specifically MyFitnessPal. I tried it but liked the interface of Lose It! better. Techically doing the same job though...

FM
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #1662
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I have readjusted my objective from 195 to 175 to 170 last week. I think 170 would be a nice weight, and possibly a weight at which I have not been since I started dating my wife 20 years ago.

FM, this is what I do all the time, too.

Blame it on my wife!

*hi, Patsy* (i think)

Last edited by finketr : 01-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #1663
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
as I read through back posts, I see that both molson and Blackadar posted about calorie counting, and specifically MyFitnessPal. I tried it but liked the interface of Lose It! better. Techically doing the same job though...

FM

I have both applications, actually. Looking at Lose IT! for the first time in a while, it looks a lot like the My Fitness application.

I've used My Fitness more often than Lose It! but that's because my siblings use it as well so there's a natural encouragement there. Does Lose It! have the same feature?

--t
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #1664
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
FM, this is what I do all the time, too.

Blame it on my wife!

*hi, Patsy* (i think)

yes, it's Patsy

Not sure I can really blame it on her, as much as I'd want to. Many years of sedentary adulthood years, or simply not caring what I put in my body. I mean, I have had good training years, but I just put too much in for what I was spending, and I was spending a lot...

FM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #1665
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I have both applications, actually. Looking at Lose IT! for the first time in a while, it looks a lot like the My Fitness application.

I've used My Fitness more often than Lose It! but that's because my siblings use it as well so there's a natural encouragement there. Does Lose It! have the same feature?

--t

you mean the social aspect of it? Yes, you can have friends on it too although I never used it. I first installed it to simply have a place that would log my weight everyday. Yeah, simply my weight, then I saw it could scan barcodes and I went crazy over a weekend scanning almost everything in sight. Then I got serious and decided if I was gonna make it, I was gonna try to be at least serious with it. As I said, my wife had lost a lot of weight by drastically cutting her caloric intake. I didn't really want to go super crazy on the diet, but I knew that over a long period of time, I wanted to lose some weight. I set my plan to lose half a pound a week and I've been losing between 1 and 1.5 a week for a good while now. I just eat less than the caloric budget...

Anybody around her has read The Hacker's Diet? Or anybody doing the exercise plan base on it? I just started on rung 1 today. Supposed to be set to take 15 minutes or less every day. It took me about 3 minutes this morning, but I'm willing to play the game and go up the ladder slowly...

here, if you don't know what I'm talking about:
What, Me Exercise?

FM
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1666
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

here are some before and after pics. Left pic is from September 8, about a week before I took control of my food intake (no idea about the weight but I'd say around 202-205) and the right one is from January 26, when I weighed 176lb.

Both pics are from group pictures of a belt test at my dojo...

FM
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #1667
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice FM - you definitely lost a whole chin there - and the facial weight is some of the hardest to get to come off in my experience. It's definitely not hte first stuff to go or anything.

Looking good man!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #1668
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

thanks DT, yeah, my pants were telling me I had lost weight, but I had not realized how much until I saw that pic from which the left picture was cropped. That's when I went back and found a group pic from earlier last Fall...

FM
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1669
finketr
College Prospect

Congratulations, FM!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #1670
finketr
College Prospect

down 4 pounds in the six weeks this year of tracking.

had horrible food week last week. Yikes. Must fix that.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #1671
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
down 4 pounds in the six weeks this year of tracking.

had horrible food week last week. Yikes. Must fix that.

well done Tim, to weight loss, that is. As for the horrible food, we all have days/weeks like that

As for me, from the 176.5 lbs I was when I last posted a weight, I slowly worked it down and after flirting with 175 a couple times last week, I finally broke through and weighed in at 174.5 this morning, go me!!!

I have settled my goal to 168 lbs in order to end up having 170 lbs as my maintain weight. That'll give me a nice 35 lbs loss over all from when I started at 203 lbs. My wife seems to think below 168 would be too thin for me

I'M still doing the Hacker's Diet exercise plan. Now in the third week, so up to rung 3 of the ladder. Speaking of Hacker's Diet, I also use its site to track my weight trend. Here's my last month...

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1672
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Fuck. Let's do this.

New Starting Weight: 239.2
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #1673
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
This thread looks like it has died out the past few months, so I figured I would revive it with my own entry to it.

I'm 6'0" and pretty much went from highschool until my late 20s weighing between 195 and 205 and being in pretty decent shape. I found a few years ago when my wife was in the hospital for a few months, that my diet and lack of exercise did me in. I went from 210 to close to 235 during that time. The worst part was I pretty much got addicted to sodas and was drinking nearly 7 or 8 20oz bottles a day while sitting there in the hospital. That habit continued for me after she got out of the hospital to the point of me having nearly 6-7 20oz bottles of soda a day while working.

I have never really been a huge snackfood person or junk food. I don't really like to eat many sweets and don't like chocolate either. After she got out of the hospital, I got back into my normal activities (playing softball, tennis, biking, etc) but the excessive amount of cokes caused my weight to increase more and more. Finally after hitting 260 I decided enough was enough.

Starting Jan 1st, I changed my behavior only slightly. I decided that I wasn't going to go on any fad diet or do anything that I would eventually get tired of. I simply decided I would cut my cokes down to only 1 20oz bottle a day (with my lunch). Plus I would start working out every morning for 30+ minutes of cardiovascular activity (in addition to my other athletic activites).

We got a wii fit but after 2 weeks of that, I pretty much stopped doing the activities on it and stick to my elliptical trainer instead. I purely use the wii fit for a scale that keeps track of my progress.

My wife is kicking my butt so far in her weight loss, in the 2 months since, she's lost about 25 pounds and is only 3 pounds away from her "target weight" of where she was when we first met, before her illness and the "baby weight". Of course she has been hard core dieting in addition to her exercise. Her main problem is right now her doctor has told her to not exercise for the next week due to an upper respiratory infection that is causing her issues (since she has long term serve lung issues now).

For myself, its been 2 months of my weight loss, and I am down from 262 to currently 239 pounds. For a total loss of 23 pounds. It is amazing how much difference simply not drinking cokes makes. My goal I guess is to try to get back to 205-210 like I was about 3 years ago. I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress just to keep this alive

It has been 4 years since I posted an update in this thread, for the very few of you that has been reading my running dynasty, you probably already saw this but I figured I would post here as well.

As mentioned back in 2009 I had reached 264 pounds and during that year worked my way down to 239. then in this thread I posted my efforts to get it further down to 225ish. Unfortunately that was about as far as I could get it. I hit a wall and for the next 3 years pretty much went from 225 to 235 back and forth for the entire time.

Well last August I started running, and have redoubled my effort this year after having back surgery in December... I am happy to say that yesterday I finally reached my goal that I listed in this forum 4 years ago.. and got my weight below 210 for the first time in perhaps a decade or maybe 15 years!

Just wanted to share my happy accomplishment with my internet family. For the last 6 months I really haven't even been focusing on weight loss is the amazing thing. I have not been doing any fancy diet, I have been eating out and even having desert. I simply have been exercising 4-5 times a week (Running burns an epic amount of calories), I stopped snacking between meals (Girl scout cookies are the bane of my existance), and I completely cut out sodas, including diet sodas.

Once I did those three things, the weight has been coming off without effort for me!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #1674
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well done Alan, congrats on getting it down that much!!!

For me, after a kind of rough week last week, I weighed in at a new low this morning, 172 lbs. still hoping to reach 168 around mid-May or beginning of June... I fell good though and have upped the exercise a bit as I'm getting ready to test for my 3rd dan in May...

FM
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1675
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/4/13 239.2
3/8/13 236.6

I've been sick all week, so this loss is most likely from dehydration. Once I kick this head cold, my program will really begin.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #1676
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

had a couple of odd weeks with my weight. I don't really freak out about it, but I like to weigh daily and get the trend from the weigh-ins. I've included the graph of my last month of weigh-ins from Hacker's Diet. See how last week it sort of plateaued and even was going up, then boom, weight started going down like crazy until I hit 170lbs yesterday. I know it's not my actual weight yet, in fact went up just this morning and will probably go up again tomorrow since I'm not as strict with the calorie budget over the weekend, but it felt prety good to see that number on the scale...

FM
Attached Images
File Type: png HackDiet.png (12.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #1677
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

interesting to see that my weight is now trending at a goo 3 lbs less than it was just about a month ago.

FM
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1678
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Been trending slightly upwards over this winter. Need to hit the panic button here and get hardcore for a few weeks. Nothing extreme, but I'm up about 4lbs as of today (which in reality is more like 2.5-3 since Sunday is my rest-day) off my 180 level, and thus about 7-8lbs off my low.

Nothing crazy - but I'm not happy with the trend.

Been eating the same stuff and porportions as usual, so it's weird to me. Going to up my vegetables & fruits and really knock out some of the lil treats. Upping my roughage might help...clean me out too (which I'm guessing is at least a lil bit of it).
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #1679
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It has been 4 years since I posted an update in this thread, for the very few of you that has been reading my running dynasty, you probably already saw this but I figured I would post here as well.

Just wanted to share my happy accomplishment with my internet family. For the last 6 months I really haven't even been focusing on weight loss is the amazing thing. I have not been doing any fancy diet, I have been eating out and even having desert. I simply have been exercising 4-5 times a week (Running burns an epic amount of calories), I stopped snacking between meals (Girl scout cookies are the bane of my existance), and I completely cut out sodas, including diet sodas.

Once I did those three things, the weight has been coming off without effort for me!

I almost mentioned this on FB when I saw the pics of you at the 5k, but man you look awesome these days.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #1680
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Been trending slightly upwards over this winter. Need to hit the panic button here and get hardcore for a few weeks. Nothing extreme, but I'm up about 4lbs as of today (which in reality is more like 2.5-3 since Sunday is my rest-day) off my 180 level, and thus about 7-8lbs off my low.

Nothing crazy - but I'm not happy with the trend.

Been eating the same stuff and porportions as usual, so it's weird to me. Going to up my vegetables & fruits and really knock out some of the lil treats. Upping my roughage might help...clean me out too (which I'm guessing is at least a lil bit of it).

My crackdown is having the effects that it should...back down into the 181's from the 183's, and I can feel my stomach shrinking down a little more - I guess maybe it had expanded a bit.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #1681
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/4/13 239.2
3/8/13 236.6
3/15/13 233.0
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1682
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My crackdown is having the effects that it should...back down into the 181's from the 183's, and I can feel my stomach shrinking down a little more - I guess maybe it had expanded a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
3/4/13 239.2
3/8/13 236.6
3/15/13 233.0

well done guys, both of you! Meant to comment earlier but have not been around here much.

For me, I have been on a crazy loss streak. After hitting 170 on the 9th, weight came back up, almost expectedly, for a couple days, up to 172, then started going back down. To 170, then to 169.5 where I was all "woah, under 170!!!" then 169, then boom 168 on Monday, when my weight usually goes back up after the weekend. 168 was my goal weight so when I entered that weight in Lose It!, it switched me to maintenance from my 1/2 lb a week loss plan and it almost scared me. I stayed at 168 this morning and I'm starting to believe I will hold that weight for now.

I feel VERY good and even think that without really sticking to a particular plan, I might shed a couple more pounds and end up close to 165 lbs. No promise, and it's not a goal of mine, just an impression.
I'm up to rung 8 of the Hacker's Diet exercise plan and for March I'm doing an abs plan called Six-Pack March that I found a woman's diet website called shrinkingjeans.net. This morning I did 55 situps, 22 pushups and 1m25s of plank. March 31st calls for 100 situps, 35 pushups and 2m15s of plank.

FM
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #1683
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Throwing my hat back into the ring. The stakes have been raised for me: last fall I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip. This was nearly literally debilitating until I figured out what it was(literally could not walk normally for several weeks). Apparently each pound of body weight adds six pounds of pressure on the joint. Super.

Then I got in a car accident, and my next car after that lasted precisely 11 days before hitting the scrapyard. The combined pressure of these things has forced me to try to find a second job, which it looks like I may finally do in the next week or so. If not I'll keep looking.

So, I've acquired a mountain of debt and need to live healthy to reduce the pressure on my hip. I know enough medically to realize there will be more consequences down the road, which will get worse the longer I don't get my body under control.

My personal high was 340 sometime last year, I've been in the low 320s for a while and as of last Monday, which is my weigh-in day, I'm at 323.1 ... almost a pound down in about five days at that point.

So naturally I'm hoping to stick with idea of living healthy. Right now I'm mostly but not completely doing what I need to do(still splurging a little too much but far less than I was before).

Glad this thread is still active and that there are some good successes going on!
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #1684
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/4/13 239.2
3/8/13 236.6
3/15/13 233.0
3/22/13 236.4

My eating and exercise habits have taken a step back as a result of my kid and I having to fend for ourselves at home while the wife worked late every night this past week.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #1685
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

3.25 -- 323.9 lbs(+0.8)

In this particular case, I'm not concerned about a moderate gain. My body was still in adjustment mode, and seriously struggling with it till around Friday/Saturday. Eating as much protein as a person my size needs to was not pleasant for quite a while. I've turned the corner and have been trending downward again, so I expect better results to begin soon.

Feeling much better also, metabolism is starting to kick in a bit.

Knee Pushups: 40 total reps(10 in 2 of 3 days last week)
Plank: Still getting used to this, I've been consistently at 23-24 seconds duration so far.
Aided Squats: 104 reps(57 last week, again 2 of 3 days)

Edit: Just wanted to add that my eventual goal(dunno if I've posted this before) is 208 lbs. Dunno if I'll hit that, but I definitely want to get to that general area(under 230 at a bare minimum).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #1686
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Glad to see you here Brian. Good work!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #1687
finketr
College Prospect

1/1/13: 281
1/15/13: 279
1/29/13: 277
2/12/13: 276
2/26/13: 275
3/12/13: 277 (travel for mom's funeral slippage)
3/26/13: 269 (got sick after travel and managed to keep it off this time).
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #1688
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely a nice trend in the right direction there! And thanks for the support corbes!!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1689
AnalBumCover
College Starter

3/4/13 239.2
3/8/13 236.6
3/15/13 233.0
3/22/13 236.4
3/29/13 234.8
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #1690
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I was somehow not notified or just plain missed the updates from this week. Well done guys, trends in the right direction but even better, guys with the intent of making something happen.

Quote:
I feel VERY good and even think that without really sticking to a particular plan, I might shed a couple more pounds and end up close to 165 lbs. No promise, and it's not a goal of mine, just an impression.
I'm up to rung 8 of the Hacker's Diet exercise plan and for March I'm doing an abs plan called Six-Pack March that I found a woman's diet website called shrinkingjeans.net. This morning I did 55 situps, 22 pushups and 1m25s of plank. March 31st calls for 100 situps, 35 pushups and 2m15s of plank.

FM

Well, well, well, was surprised by my scale this morning when 165.5 showed up there. I was simply happy to hold that 168 and as I said, that 165 wasn't even a goal of mine but I'll take it. That maintenance thing is kinda odd though. I'l always super afraid I'll start gaining back weight that I'm still very conscious about what I eat, but I have been upping my intake this past week, just still checking everything I eat in order not to go overboard...

I'm still going strong with that Six-Pack March calendar. No way I got a six pack showing yet, lol, but I sure feel my abs are tighter than they used to be. There have been a couple points where I was sure I wouldn't be able to do the day's required reps but so far, so good. I did 85 situps, 33 pushups and 2 minutes of plank this morning. I feel the burn quite a bit when I'm done with the routine every morning, that's for sure. Tomorrow's the big day. I'm pretty sure the 35 pushups and 2m15s of plank won't be a problem but 100 situps, woah, I'm not too sure about this. The last 3-4 situps of 85 this morning were really stretching my limits. Might have to split my 100 in two sessions maybe a minute apart. We'll see...

FM
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #1691
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Nice job!!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #1692
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I'm off from work on Monday and I'm going shopping for clothes, well mostly buy some jeans and maybe a belt. All my jeans are all so loose now, and I had to cut a new hole in my belt.

I had decided that I would hold off on buying new clothes until I had reached my goal and now that I feel like I can hold this weight, it just makes sense to go shopping.

FM
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #1693
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and thanks Alan

FM
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #1694
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I did it, I completed all 31 days in that Six-Pack March calendar!!!

That 100 situps was quite something but here's my proof from runtastic situps

If you want something fun to track your progress, the pushups, situps and squats apps from Runtastic are cool. Situps and squats are tracked using the movement from the accelerometer from your phone while for the pushups, you need to touch your nose to the screen of your phone that is resting on the ground under your face. No cheating that way.

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (84.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #1695
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
oh, and I'm off from work on Monday and I'm going shopping for clothes, well mostly buy some jeans and maybe a belt. All my jeans are all so loose now, and I had to cut a new hole in my belt.

I had decided that I would hold off on buying new clothes until I had reached my goal and now that I feel like I can hold this weight, it just makes sense to go shopping.

FM

Yeah... I'm getting in that area. Unfortunately, i'll be buying clothes now and then in a few months when i'm missing another 3-4 inches from the waist....
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #1696
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So I started my GymPact, as discussed in this thread.

I'm sure this will get my ass off the couch now. I currently don't have a gym membership, so I'll have to have other means to fulfill my pacts, such as RunKeeper or GymPact Anywhere (whenever it's made available for Android).
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #1697
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, I wouldn't call it fun, but it was cool to try on new jeans. Tried some 31 waist but they only had them in 32 inseam and they'd have ended up being a bit short. Settled on 3 pairs of 32 waist that are all reasonably loose, down from my 34 waist that used to be getting quite tight. I'm ok with that. Also got a belt. All in all a satisying day that ended up not costing too much since I went to WM and bought Levi's that were on sale anyway.

FM
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #1698
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

4.1 Weekly Update Thingy

And so a good week is in the books, first post-diet adjustment one:

Weight: 321.0(-2.9)
Knee Pushups(W1C1): 41 reps(+1)
Plank: 39 max(+15!), 4:57 total time
Aided Squats(W2C1): 112 reps(+8)

A mostly meh week for the exercises except for the plank which I both love and hate(not sure which more intensely). It really works ... and it's really hard, so ... More importantly, lost all of last week's gain and then some, so I think I'm on my way!

Time to go do it again this week ... keep on going the rest of you as well!!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #1699
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Posted my March weight update in my running dynasty thread, but cross posting it here too:

Quote:

From a weight standpoint, while that has become less of a focus for me to just trying to be more in shape or more fit, it is still one of my driving factors to my exercise.

For the most part I was weighing weekly for a while, but am trying to get back into more regular weigh-ins. I find my weight goes up and down during the week (as I assume it does for most people). At the start of the month I was around 216 pounds and now I am at 208 pounds. According to this graph I lost 7 pounds this last month and will get to my current goal of 200 some point in a few months or so.

One other thing that I was looking at which I felt was pretty cool was:

Looking back since Jan 2009 when I started trying to lose weight (and was 260-263 or so pounds), I've gone from Obese in the BMI scale to 1/3rd of the way down through Overweight. I can now see the line for "Normal" and maybe would like to try to make it there some point later this year or early next year.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #1700
Radii
Head Coach

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Garmin watches for tracking their jogging? I don't own a smartphone and won't be getting one in the forseeable future (I could afford the phone but cannot in any way justify the addition of a data plan to my service), but I've got a bit of extra money coming in and am thinking about picking something up.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote