Two words.

Fucking retarded.

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

5-2 Final: This isn't baseball .. High School Hoops

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3323258

MILTON, Vt. - Hard to imagine a 3-pointer in the second quarter of a high school boy's basketball game would turn out to be the winning basket — unless it's one of only three made in the entire game.

That basket, along with an earlier field goal, was all Bellows Free Academy-Fairfax needed to beat Milton on Wednesday night. The final score: 5-2.
To the teams' credit, the score was the result of an apparently deliberate stalling strategy.

It could not immediately be determined if the score was a state or national record low, but the contest certainly attracted attention.

"We've been talking about it all morning over here," said Bob Johnson, the director of student activities for the Vermont Principals' Association, which governs high school sports.

"It had to have been one of the most boring games in the world," he said.

The scoring was kept way down on purpose, a strategy made possible by the fact that Vermont high schools don't use a shot clock. No player went to the free-throw line as Milton committed five fouls and BFA had one.

BFA took a 5-0 lead and neither team scored in the second half.

"It was the ultimate deliberate stalemate," Milton coach Jim Smith said. "They didn't come out after us and we didn't go in against them."

Smith said the slowdown was implemented because BFA (7-4) has a strong scoring presence, while Milton (2-8) does not. The Milton players believed their best chance to be competitive was to just hold onto the ball.

The strategy almost worked.

"We had a shot go off the rim that would have tied it," Smith said. "We were one possession away to tie the game. We have not been in that position for quite some time."

Alex Weber's basket gave BFA a 2-0 lead in the first quarter. Shadoe Adams' 3-pointer made it 5-0 at the start of the second quarter. Brian Phelps scored later in the period and Milton trailed 5-2 at halftime.

"I've never had a player hit a game-winner in the second quarter before," BFA-Fairfax coach Glen Button Jr. said.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Unbelievable.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is the equivilant of clutching and grabbing in the NHL .. but to the nth degree
Old 01-14-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

That team must have some good defense...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

WTF?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

The coach should be fired. If the best lesson he can teach his kids is not to try, then fire his ass, and let that bitch eat his nut.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
The coach should be fired. If the best lesson he can teach his kids is not to try, then fire his ass, and let that bitch eat his nut.

You only want him fired because he's a lesbian.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I've seen stuff like this at the games I attended at my high school but it was with like a minute or two minutes left. an entire game, thats nuts.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
sooner333
College Starter

I would employ the same strategy. Obviously they would have been blown out if they had gone full speed. Plus, it's not that the team didn't try to score or play defense. They tried to score, but also keep the other team's score down.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I doubt that's going to be a record, especially for all of HS basketball.

I specifically remember broadcasting a girls HS tournament game in the 80's which featured a grand total of 5 shots -- Bascially get ball, stall till buzzer, shoot. Repeat. Repeat. Pickens County vs Haralson County, the latter reknowed for their persistent stalls and the former not half bad at it on occasion either. IIRC, it played out like this:
Haralson 2-0 after 1st (won tip, shot at buzzer)
Harlason 3-2 at half (PHS scored on possession, fouled HCHS at buzzer)
Harlason 4-4 after 3rd (HCHS turned it over, PHS scored, HCHS fouled again at buzzer)
Haralson wins 6-5 (PHS hit 1 of 2 at line early, HCHS gets fouled hits both, PHS fouled and misses both).

Now, given that this was not particularly unusual for Haralson, winning scores in single digits, I'd be surprised to learn that 5-2 was a record.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Unreal. I would think, at that level, you should be doing more than just trying to win. You should be trying to make your players better. You should be developing their skills. Since no higher level lets them hold the ball for an hour, employing this tactic actually hurts the players.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
You only want him fired because he's a lesbian.

Any coach who enjoys hogging the ball that much is not a lesbian.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
I would employ the same strategy. Obviously they would have been blown out if they had gone full speed. Plus, it's not that the team didn't try to score or play defense. They tried to score, but also keep the other team's score down.

It reads to me like they held on to the ball forever, i'd be interested in knowing how many possesions each team had.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Wasn't this how basketball was played back in the old days before the shotclock? I thought it was one of the ACC schools (Dean Smith at Carolina?) that perfected the stalling tactic to a sufficient degree to bring about the shotclock?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Unreal. I would think, at that level, you should be doing more than just trying to win. You should be trying to make your players better. You should be developing their skills. Since no higher level lets them hold the ball for an hour, employing this tactic actually hurts the players.

Consider: shooters are a dime a dozen, but ball-handlers are increasingly hard to find. I think there's an argument to make that this could increase their marketability in more cases than not (considering the overall lack of raw athletic ability that usually forces this tactic in the first place).

Like I mentioned, I've seen several teams through the past 30 years or so who employed this strategy consistently. If you watch it, I mean really watch it, the amount of concentration alone that it requires is quite impressive. Think about it, how many games do you see where there isn't a single bad pass thrown from start to finish?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I played in a game similar to that when I was in high school. We were pretty banged up inside and didn't have much of an interior defense, so we had to play a zone. The other team got an early lead like 8 to 3 and they just held the ball. They were trying to make us come out of zone, but we knew we were toast if we did that. We got the ball at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and scored to make it 8 - 5. They held on to the ball the rest of the quarter and the third quarter. We got the ball at the beginning of the 4th, tied it up 8 - 8. They held the ball and tried for the last shot. We got a steal with five seconds to go and scored on a layup to win 10 - 8. In a 32 minute high school game, our time of possession was probably about 4 minutes.

At one point, we sat down on the court in our zone. They still didn't even try to get a quick score. It was probably the boringest game I ever played.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think there's an argument to make that this could increase their marketability in more cases than not (considering the overall lack of raw athletic ability that usually forces this tactic in the first place).

I suppose I can see that, as long as they were indeed moving the ball around, and the other team was pressuring them. I thought the losing team was most interested in stalling, so the winning team probably let them stall away for significant periods of time...
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I still haven't figured out why there aren't shotclocks in high school bball
Old 01-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I suppose I can see that, as long as they were indeed moving the ball around, and the other team was pressuring them. I thought the losing team was most interested in stalling, so the winning team probably let them stall away for significant periods of time...

AFAIK, they pretty much have to be moving the ball in some fashion, as every level above rec league ball I've seen in the past quite-a-few-years has a guard 'em rule of some sort. In other words, you have to come out & initiate, which in turn triggers whatever "closely guarded" rule is in play.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I was thinking .. this was basically like a womens college game between two unranked teams.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

skillz
Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Wasn't this how basketball was played back in the old days before the shotclock? I thought it was one of the ACC schools (Dean Smith at Carolina?) that perfected the stalling tactic to a sufficient degree to bring about the shotclock?

Carolina tried the ultimate stall tactic against the Gminski-Spanarkle Duke team in 78 or79. I think they were down something like 7-0 at the half and abandoned the stall and ended up losing the game 47-40
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #24
bryce
High School Varsity

i would hate to be a player in that time of game. what a disgrace.

i had a game in high school once that was nearly scoreless at the end of the 1st qtr, only it wasn't deliberate. it was a rivalry, so both teams were a little nervous, plus we were additionally uptight because we had tommy maddox sitting on our bench (he was a friend of our coach, they went to high school together - this was back during his 2nd year at ucla right before the nfl draft) and the rims at this school were stone cold that didn't yield one bit - either it was going to be a swish or clank out, nothing in between. coach loosened us up during a timeout towards the end of the 1st, with the score still tied at 0, and said, 'ok, first team to score wins.'

we ended up losing when my last second desperation three point attempt clanked out. i blame the coach for not drawing up a better play - i had three defenders' arms in my face. i can't remember the final score, but i think we made it into the 30's point wise - but it was still a blast!

and it's obviously one of the games i remember most vividly.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #25
robbgmaier
College Prospect

the defense should have pantomimed mooning the opposition, perhaps they could have goaded them into a shot, or into a fine of some kind.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Carolina tried the ultimate stall tactic against the Gminski-Spanarkle Duke team in 78 or79. I think they were down something like 7-0 at the half and abandoned the stall and ended up losing the game 47-40

Yup:

In 1979, in Jim Spanarkel's last home game, Dean Smith reasoned that he couldn't compete with Duke for the entire game, so UNC was going to stall for the entire first half and hope to keep up in the second. It would have worked, except that Chick Yonaker shot an airball, and Duke ended up with 7 quick points and went into halftime 7-0. Duke won 47-40, so Dean's point was sound.

I could have sworn in the late 60s/early 70s there was some game that was like 4-2 at the half and ended 12-10 or something insane with the 4 corners. googling up this stuff is pretty difficult though.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #27
Radii
Head Coach

dola, here we go:

1966: Duke 21, UNC 20. In an ACC tournament semifinal, Smith decides to stall the entire game. The bigger and better Blue Devils had won both regular-season games by double digits, and Deano figures his team is no match for Duke's zone. The Blue Devils lead 7-5 at halftime (the Tar Heels had taken only five shots), and Mike Lewis hits the second of two free throws with four seconds left to win the game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
This is the equivilant of clutching and grabbing in the NHL .. but to the nth degree
NHL commisioner Gary Bettman was present at the game and declared it "very exciting" and "not something we need to worry about changing at all". He then got in his limo and left.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
NHL commisioner Gary Bettman was present at the game and declared it "very exciting" and "not something we need to worry about changing at all". He then got in his limo and left.

Check and mate.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #30
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I still haven't figured out why there aren't shotclocks in high school bball

There is here in North Dakota.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #31
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
It could not immediately be determined if the score was a state or national record low, but the contest certainly attracted attention.
I know it's not a national low...Pocahontas H.S. in Virginia (about 5-10 miles away where I went) had a game a couple decades ago that they won 2-0. Apparently there were only two shots taken the whole game. They made one right at the first half buzzer and their opponents missed the tying shot at the end of regulation.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #32
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
...the hotbed of high school basketball recruiting, I am told.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #33
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
...the hotbed of high school basketball recruiting, I am told.

Jeff Boschee, baby! The Jayhawks all-time leader in three-point shooting.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #34
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Wow, I thought our 33-31 double overtime win my junior year was low scoring.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #35
korme
Go Reds

If they do that shit, you should switch to man and press their asses.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #36
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
If they do that shit, you should switch to man and press their asses.

spoken like a true baller
Old 01-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #37
korme
Go Reds

word to your mother
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #38
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

If that happen at a game I paid to go see, I would throw a beer at a player resting on the scorer's table and hope that would cause some excitement
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #39
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Isn't there value in winning? Is there more value in knowing that rather than getting blown out be a far superior team that you were at least in the game? I'm really amazed at how many people are so upset by the notion of a team trying to win anyway it can with-in the rules.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #40
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I understand it's boring and not "manly," but why criticize a nearly successful and perfectly legal strategy? If either coach is at fault, it's the coach of the bigger, stronger team. Press the ball, double team and force them out of it as much as you can.

I don't the Milton coach was teaching his team to quit at all. He was teaching them that if they want to win, they need to take advantage of every legal strategy they can. Why run with a team just to get your brains blown out? I'd have a lot more fun watching my team lose 5-2 than watching my team lose 124-28 (score of a high school girls game I went to once).
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isnt there some "5 seconds" rule in high school basketball? I think once the ball passes the hash mark at least. Im guessing the "winning team" just layed off the other team and let them try to run the clock out? You would still think the risk/reward of pressuring an inferior team would lead to breaking up that stalemate. I would be pissed if I had gone to watch this game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #42
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I attended a school that at one time during the late 80s hadn't won a league game in 70-something games. When I was a freshman our school got a new coach and our team started winning a little (I think we went 6-14 that year). The next year, as a sophomore, I made varsity and we were picked to finish 10th out of 10 teams. We ran "spread to score" where three offensive players (guards) stood right in front of the half court linewith the post players located in the corners right along the baseline. The three guards would weave and pass and try to get around their guy. If they did, the post players would break for the hoop causing a 3 on 2 situation. It worked very well (as we had three very good ball handlers, and the strategy kept games close with fewer possessions).

One team decided not to come out of their zone (apparently they weren't going to let us beat them with our spread to score offense) so our coach ordered our point guard to stand out by half court. There were three shots in the first half and we led 4-0. The crowd booed us like crazy... and the game was at our school.

In the second half they came out in man and extended their defense to half court. We shredded it and beat them by fifteen or twenty.

Before the game the coach had explained that he felt if they stayed in their zone (they almost exclusively ran a 3-2 matchup zone) the best opportunity we had of beating them was to hold onto the ball and force them to come out and guard us. It was about doing what gave us the best chance of winning the game, plus, basketball players these days don't learn their skills in the 32 minutes of playing time during a game, they had better be putting in a lot of time other than the game if they are going to be good at all.

That was the first year we went to state (1992) since the 1970s. When I was a senior we played for the state championship. I think it was a valuable lesson about doing everything possible to win, even if it was unpopular with the fans, that paid off in the long run.

What should be done is HS basketball should get a shot clock of some sore (35 seconds 40 seconds, anything would prevent this kind of tactic).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #43
vtbub
College Starter

Page 1 baby in the paper today.

We had bad weather a couple nights ago and that was the ONLY high school event in the state.

Frankly, it's an embarraasment. Milton was 2-7 while BFA-Fairfax was 8-1 or something. The Milton coach should get let go for not havimg his kids try, or even attempt to foul late in the game.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #44
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

We use the shotclock in CA as well. Seems very foolish to me to not have a shotclock.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #45
Vince
Pro Starter

I watched my cousin's female high school basketball team (#1 in CA division 1 that year) shut out another team. It was pretty horrible.

By the middle of the second half, the girls weren't even moving outside the three-point line, nor were they putting their hands up to contest shots. Final score was something like 45-0.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 01-14-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #46
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Iet one of the signs that The Apocalypse is upon us.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 PM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah, with Vermont being a huge hotbed for basketball talent and all.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:43 PM   #48
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Now, does anyone have the lowest scoring game ever for any level (HS, college, pro's) ever?
Old 01-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For the NBA, I get this one
http://nbahoopsonline.com/History/NBAdateline.html
November 22,1950-The Fort Wayne Pistons beat the Minneapolis Lakers 19-18 in the lowest scoring game in NBA history

For high school, it's harder because record-keeping is usually done at the state level,
but from Kansas I found
http://www.kshof.org/boysbasketball.html
Fewest Points Both Teams Game 4 Jackson Heights 4 - Dover 0 1970
Old 01-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #50
Easy Mac

I remember the 2 months I covered sports for my town paper when I was in high school. It was a small, local twice a week paper. Anyway, I watched the girls middle school team play. In three home games they scored no points. And it wasn't 5-0, it was generally 25 or 40 to nothing. Strangely, just about 3 years earlier, the HS girl's team was winning a state championship.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote