Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
lurker
High School JV

Weird coworker

Okay, here is a series of e-mails I exchanged with this weird girl at work. Now, I’m trying to figure out what she was saying some of the time and I thought you guys might be able to help. And some of it is so bizarre I thought it might be amusing to someone. Oh, and the exams referred to here are actuarial exams and you get a raise every time you pass one and that’s independent from your annual raise. If this is boring, sorry for wasting your time. And if you can explain what she might have meant in the bolded line, I’ll be indebted to you forever.

(Obviously, I don’t work for Lumberg. I just didn’t feel like using my boss’ real name.)

Weird Coworker: l just got my raise it was okay. Lumberg will call you with and make a speech.
Lurker: I just got mine. You're not happy with yours?
Weird Coworker: Yeah l think it was okay. What about you.
Lurker: I was happy with it, but I wasn't expecting much.
Lurker: Did Lumberg say you were doing a good job and keep up the good work? I'm always just relieved that that's being said and not that I'm fired.
Weird Coworker: Yeah, he did. lt was a relieve too.

Later

Weird Coworker: l thought l should tell you, l got promoted. lt was not finalized before and l thought if l made noise about it and it was not true it would be bad.
Lurker: Congratulations! I guess I should tell you, I got promoted as well.
Weird Coworker: That is awesome ….

Next day, she sends me three e-mails about ten seconds apart.

Weird Coworker: [lurker], do you believe l asked for a certain raise and it was exactly what l got? Do you think it was given to me because they thought l would pass my exams. Kind of scary!!! l just did the math.
Weird Coworker: lt is final and they can't take it back? or?
Weird Coworker: You know what ignore my mail.
Lurker: Sorry I was on the phone while you sent me the messages. I doubt the raise had to do with exam passing. I think they just had a good year. I was pretty happy with mine too.
Weird Coworker: Was it like a 10%?
Lurker: 8.5%. I didn't ask for a certain amount though. Was yours 10%?
Weird Coworker: l'm sitting here and thinking maybe we should work are heads off maybe we might get a100! net time ;=)) then go to Hawaii.
Lurker: Hey, you didn't answer my question Did you get 10%? Now I'm curious!
Weird Coworker: No, do you feel better.
Lurker: No, I don't feel better. Are you mad or something?
Weird Coworker: l think my mind was ideal abet.
Weird Coworker: Oh no actually l am teasing you. l need some fun. l'm actually tired of work but l have so much and l thought l should bug you. Seriously. SO in between work l drop anything that comes to mind.
Lurker: Okay -- I was worried I insulted you somehow!

Last edited by lurker : 01-14-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Accidentally said Weird Coworker instead of Lurker once
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Wow. Hmmm. Do you have pictures of this weird chick that you can put up?

Maybe she is saying her raise was ideal? It's a little confusing. With the way some of the minds here work, it probably seems quite clear to someone. One thing I am sure of is that she has really poor grammar (or you did when you were typing it out).
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Weird Coworker: l think my mind was ideal abet.

I believe, in english, with the context given, it would read:

Weird coworker: I think mine [my raise] was [just] about ideal.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
lurker
High School JV

It's not my grammar that's bad -- I copied and pasted it. I should say English isn't her first language, but she has lived here for at least 7 years, got a master's degree from a prestigious university here, and wants to be a consultant, so I don't know if that should be an issue.

Last edited by lurker : 01-14-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We already have a thread on her

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=34620
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

I take two things from that conversation:

1. Proof why women dislike each other after interacting for a few minutes.

2. I think she didn't want to tell you what the exact amount was. Some people, like men, know that it's not a polite question to ask.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
lurker
High School JV

I didn't think it was a polite question either. That's why I didn't ask her the first day. The next day she asked me! "Was it like a 10%?" But since she asked, I told. And since I told her what mine was after she asked, I thought she should have to answer also.

Last edited by lurker : 01-14-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I hate to tell you sally but you both sound weird in that exchange.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
lurker
High School JV

Hey, I know I'm weird But, I do think I get weirder when I talk to her. I feel like she won't understand me if I sound normal.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
What you should have done is knocked her into the next cubicle. Then that weird email never would have happened. TBH, it sounds like your typical work email in which two people aren't really interested in each other's opinions, but are making conversation to be polite and kill time. Or maybe she's secretly plotting to poison you and steal GoldenEagle. I can't tell.

Umm, you mixed up yer wimin folk.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't think it was a polite question either. That's why I didn't ask her the first day. The next day she asked me! "Was it like a 10%?" But since she asked, I told. And since I told her what mine was after she asked, I thought she should have to answer also.

What you should have done is knocked her into the next cubicle. Then that weird email never would have happened. TBH, it sounds like your typical work email in which two people aren't really interested in each other's opinions, but are making conversation to be polite and kill time. Or maybe she's secretly plotting to poison you and steal GoldenEagle. I can't tell.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #12
lurker
High School JV

Passacaglia, not Golden Eagle! I wonder if when it's been a full 4 years I've been here that people will stop mixing me up with the other girls.

And yeah, I should have kicked her ass.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Passacaglia, not Golden Eagle! I wonder if when it's been a full 4 years I've been here that people will stop mixing me up with the other girls.

Hey man.....err, hey lady, pics pls thnx.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
robbgmaier
College Prospect

ack the ass kicking, but you both should head for the cleaning supplies closet first I think.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Oh. Now I get it.

She wanted to make sure she got a better raise than you. Do not talk to her until you've pummeled her.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #16
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

It is tough on us guys to distinguish all you gals apart.

The tops of your heads all look the same

*Ducks*

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
lurker
High School JV

Yeah, she probably does just want to make sure she makes more than me. I don't really care too much, I just wanted to figure out what she means half the time. The only reason I still talk to her is because it's really amusing a lot of the time. Radii, I think you might be right about that sentence.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Sorry. I skimmed the married thread. What I gleaned from that is that you are actually a man, correct? I live in Seattle, so trust me it's nothing I haven't seen before.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #19
lurker
High School JV

No, I'm actually a figment of Passacaglia's imagination that occasionally comes out to post.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"l think my mind was ideal abet" is Weirdish for "I think mine was a good deal better."
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #21
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
No, I'm actually a figment of Passacaglia's imagination that occasionally comes out to post.

So that whole conversation never actually happened?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #22
lurker
High School JV

Before Skydog gets his patriotic undies in a twist about me making people uncomfortable with lies (known as jokes to others), I should say I'm kidding, and I'm Passacaglia's girlfriend. (Can't say the word fiancee yet, it makes me want to say "I've lost my fiance, the poor baby" from Seinfeld.)
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #23
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Before Skydog gets his patriotic undies in a twist about me making people uncomfortable with lies (known as jokes to others), I should say I'm kidding, and I'm Passacaglia's girlfriend. (Can't say the word fiancee yet, it makes me want to say "I've lost my fiance, the poor baby" from Seinfeld.)

Maybe the dingo ate yo baby.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would NEVER tell a co-worker what my raise was, that's just a no-no in the IT business.

Anyhow, I got the gumption this girl digs you:

Quote:
Weird Coworker: l'm sitting here and thinking maybe we should work are heads off maybe we might get a100! net time ;=)) then go to Hawaii.

Maybe it's just my imagination of two women together.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #25
lurker
High School JV

Well, since she doesn't know how much I made before, she doesn't know the amount of the raise.

I do think I probably shouldn't have told her, but she asked and I didn't want to make a big thing out of saying no. I probably should have just said something unintelligible to get her to go away like she did to me.

And MizzouRah, that seriously is making me not able to eat my lunch.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #26
gkb
High School Varsity

When I was in college I was working at a mortgage firm. There was another girl there that went to my same school. She asked me one day what I made and I told her. She proceeded to say, "You make more than me, I wonder if that's because I'm a woman." and walked off into our manager's office to apparently discuss it.

We were both fired the next day.

I have learned to not discuss salary or raises with co-workers. I understand that some people make more than me and some make less...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #27
lurker
High School JV

I would have preferred not to discuss it but she brought it up. Now it's incredibly awkward here because I'm worried she's telling other people.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would have preferred not to discuss it but she brought it up. Now it's incredibly awkward here because I'm worried she's telling other people.

I would say, "I was just kidding with you about my raise". "I don't discuss those kinds of things with co-workers."

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

she wants teh booty ok lol