Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

By a Nose - A Starters Orders Dynasty

Hopefully not spreading myself to thin (but I am going to finish that NFL dynasty by the end of this year d****t) but reading the Horse Racing Gamt thread got me thinking about the many hours that I spent playing some of the older horse racing games and wishing there was one that was worth trying.

I heard about Starters Orders and messed around with some demos of past versions but never made the jump. After trying out the demo of teh latest version I decided to make the jump. The biggest negative that I heard about it was related to the betting aspect but that is what I do the least with these games. I like trying to build a stable the most (my throw a couple bucks on my horse that is running but that is pretty much it for the betting aspect).

This dynasty may be full of growing pains as this will be my first game played with Starters Orders (not counting demo time).

Not sure how quick this dynasty will pay out but will play it by ear.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Related: Started a game and presented with a list of the available Preseason 2 year olds in auction. The problem is that I don't see anywhere that shows what I have available to me for bidding. Not sure if I missed that in the game setup or not.

I'll throw in some red game related posts throughout the dynasty with things that stand out about the game.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Related: I see after I select bid on horse (which enters the auction screen for that horse) how much I have.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I bid on one horse and get it. A 2 year old colt named Taalami. I paid 99,950. Hopefully I didn't take too much of a risk. I thought it was the best value of any of the horses in the auction which was bred by a Grade 1 winner.

Talaami looks to have good acceleration but needs to work on stamina. May be a good entry for shorter races.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The acquisition of Taalami give me 4 horses in my stable.

Current Stable

Taalami - 2 year old colt; Bay (dark); Average build; Normal disposition; Prefers a firm track; Best distance predicted as 7F; Bred by a grade 1 winner

Hunter Street - 4 year old filly; Black; Small Build; Normal Disposition; Prefers a muddy track; Best distance is 7 F; Bred by a grade 2 winner

Captain Ginger - 3 year old colt; Bay (dark); Average Build; Normal Disposition; Prefers a firm track; Best distance is 1 M; Bred by a grade 1 winner

Irony - 2 year old col; Bay (dark); Average build; Excitable disposition; Prefers a slower track; Best distance is 1 M 3 F; Bred by a grade 2 winner

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Related: Don't like how loading and creating a new game go to the same screen (you have to take the create game button to do either). You have a set number of slots for save games (which seems odd for a PC game) and it seems like it could be too easy to click on the wrong create game and end up losing a saved game. Just something to be cautious of while playing.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Had Hunter Street and Taalami run a 7f training and Taalami led well for the first 5 1/2 but Hunter Street closed and pulled away from the youngster in the end.

The next day I had Irony and Captain Ginger running a mile. Captain Ginger ran away with it; I was expecting to see something more from Irony but the youngster still hase time to develop. I did like what I saw from Captain Ginger however.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Entering Irony in a January 10th race at Great Lakes Downs. It's 5f for 2 year old maidens.

Entering Captain Ginger in a January 10th race at Great Lakes Downs. It's 1m open C3 handicap for 3 year olds and up.

Entering Hunter Street in a Januray 8th race at Santa Anita. It's a 1m1f C5 handicap for 4 year olds and up.

Entering Taalami in a January 8th race at Santa Anita. It' as 5f C4 maiden open for 2 year olds.

Each race entrance fee was $85.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

January 8, 2010

Santa Anita

1st race
6 Horses Entered
Hunter Street is 4:1 (2nd in terms of odds).

Hunter Street broke early (not what I was hoping to see) and led until they just about hit the home stretch where he tired quickly and dropped to last. Not a good result.

Finished in 2:01.9.

6th Race
9 horses running
Taalami is 13:2 (5th in odds)

Want him to run from the lead. It doesn't go well. He us unable to keep pace at the start and falls to last. Not a good day of racing for my stable.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

January 10, 2010

Great Lakes Downs

2nd Race
6 horses running
Captain Ginger is 7:2 (2nd in terms of odds)

Captain Ginger got off to a bad start but moved from the back up to third. The final furlong was back and forth but he settles in at 4th as he came across the wire. Jockey thinks he should drop in class for the next race.

12th Race
9 horses in the field
Irony is 9:1 (6th in terms of odds)

Irony got off to a poor start and got worse as the race continued. Ended in dead last. The jockey said that the horse was worked up too much on the track and wouldn't respond.

Finished in 1:08.7.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice, I'll follow along with this one. Good luck with the stable!

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Ran all four of them a mile for training to stretch them out a bit. As expected Irony and Captain Ginger led the way with Irony showing promise. What impressed me the most was Taalami makig a late run. Still finished third but was gaining at the end. Good to see him able to handle the distance.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Irony - entered in January 29th race at Finger Lakes; a 6f class 4 maden race for 2 year olds.

Captain Ginger - entered in January 29th race at Northlands Park; a 1m C4 handicap for 3 year olds and up.

Hunter Street - entered in January 20th race at Philadelphis Park; a 5f C6 handicap for 3 year olds and up.

Taalami - entered in January 30th race at Turf Paradise; a 6f C4 maiden for 2 years olds on turf
Old 11-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

January 20, 2010

Philadelphis Park
10th race
7 horses in the fieid
5f in the mud
Hunter Street is 6:1 (3rd in terms of odds)

One furlong in Hunter Street took the lead but by the 3rd furlong he began to falter and fell all th eway to th eback of the pack. Another last place finish for my stable, I am not doing something right.

Ran in 1:06.1
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

January 29, 2010

Northlands Park
1st Race
12 horses in the field
1m on the dirt
Captain Ginger is 7:2 and is the favorite

Captain Ginger stalked the field and was starting to make a move with 2 furnlongs to go but got stuck inside behind and between horses. When finally getting clear it was too late and ended up 5th. Looks like he could have easily run down that field if he had the room.

Run in 1:43.3

Finger Lakes
2nd Race
7 horses in field
6f on the dirt
Irony is 2:1 and the favorite

Irony got off to a bad start and never recovered. Left me with yet another last place start and this time with a horse that was favored. My career running a stable could be short if I don;t turn this around soon.

Ran in 1:21.4
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

January 30, 2010

Turf Paradise
2nd Race
8 horses in the field
6f on Turf
Taalami is 11:2 (3rd based on odds)

Taalami started in the middle of the pack. After two furlongs he made a bit of a run to start to gain on the leaders but seemed to give up once he was passed by another charging horse. He fell back to 7th after that.

Ran in 1:19.7
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Gotta ask. Game let you name horses?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So far I suck incredibly at this. I am assuming that the C1, C2, C3, etc... listed in the races are the classes of the field and that C1 is the best class while something like C7 is not that good.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

No, not that I know of at the moment at least. There is an editor but I think it's only for race schedule.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Related - So far it seems very entertaining but is taking some getting used to (what screens to to to for the information that I am looking for).

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-12-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Haven't gotten in far enough to breed a horse but you may be able to name the onese that you breed.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
Grover
Pro Starter

I was going to ask about the names as well. Captain Ginger is a fantastic name.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I enter...

Taalami - February 27th at Beula Park. 6f C5 handicap for 2 year olds on turf.

Hunter Street - February 25 at Gulfstream Park. 6f C4 handicap for 3 year olds and up.

Captain Ginger - February 25 at Lone Star Park. 1m2f C4 handicap for 3 year olds and up

Irony - February 27 at Suffolk Downs. 5f C4 Maiden for 2 year olds on turf.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just realized I was getting late registration penalties so I am registering farther in advance now (so I don;t run out of money too quickly).
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Run Taalami, Captain Ginger and Irony on a 5f training session. Taalami impresses and had a nice run with Captain Ginger. Irony is starting to look outclassed by them.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

February 25, 2010

Gulfstream Park
5th race
8 horses in the field
6f on dirt

Hunter Street was right in it for the first 4 furlongs. Then tired and fell back to last yet again. Need to find the right competition level but he seems in over his head right about now.
Hunter Street is the long shot at 16:1
Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

February 27, 2010

Beulah Park
3rd race
6 horses in the field
6f on Turf
Taalami is the long shot at 25:1

I decided to put $100 on Taalami. I am feeling like today is the day for him. He starts out mid pack and then died again late. Another last place finish as I seem to he be laughing stock of the circuit so far.

Suffolk Downs
2nd race
6 horses in the field
5f on turf
Irony is 11:2 (3rd based on odds)

A disghusting performance. Started poorly and got worse as the race continued. Last again. This horse has nothing in him.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

February 28, 2010

Lone Star Park
5th Race
5 horses in the field
1m2f on dirt with rain
Captain Ginger is 9:! (4th based on odds)

Captain Ginger started out in the middle of the pack, dropped to last by the 3rd furlong. Stayed there but made a charge with the horse in front of him to get close but then died out over th elast furlong to end in last.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Entered...

Irony - March 16th at Delmar. 6f C7 selling race for 2 year olds on turf.

Captain Ginger - March 14th at Sam Houston. 1m C7 selling race for 3 year olds on turf.

Hunter Street - Marth 14th at Canterbury Park. 5f C6 handicap for 4 year olds and up

Taalami - March 23rd at Aquaduct Park. 5f C6 handicap for 2 year olds on turf
Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

March 14, 2010

Canterbury Park
8 horses in the field
5f on dirt
Hunter Street is 20:1 (5th on odds)

Another average start and then fading. Seems like no matter what approach I take it ends the same. Another last place finish.

Sam Houston
11 horses in the field
1m on turf
Captan Ginger is the favoriate at 4:1

Captain Ginger was in the mix for much of the race but fell off late to finish 7th. At least it's not a last place finish.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #31
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Note: Think I m going to mess around with a different save game for a little while to see what I am doing wrong.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #32
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

It's time to call the glue factory.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

March 16, 2010

Delmar Park
7 horses in the field
6f on turf
Irony is 11:2 (2nd in odds) with a huge drop in class and this is a claiming race

Huge drop in competition and again this horse falls behind the field and is a zip code away from the pack. I can only hope someone takes him off my hands at this point. The jockey thinks Irony needs to run longer races but there are no longer races for his age at this point.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

March 23, 2010

Aqueduct Park
6 horses in the field
5f on turf
Taalami is the long shot, though I thought the drop in class would help him.

That favorite went wire to wire. Taalami started mid pack and made a nice charge late to finish 3rd. The best finish that I have seen by a horse from my stable; that is promising. The jockey rode him as a stalker and feels it suited him. Thought the distance was good but the surface didn't suit him.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #35
kingfc22
Head Coach

At least Irony is consistent...
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Notes: Searched the forum and found two things that I was doing wrong. I didn't hire a specific jockey (found that you have to go into a different option other than the jockey option to do that) and that I didn't have to set the riding orders each race as the jockey would do that (which I assume hiring a specific jockey will increase that jockey's knowledge of my horses and how to ride them). It led to my best finish yet this time around so hopefully that will help as I continue.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
At least Irony is consistent...

This is true. It is getting difficult to watch his races as he drops so far back that you know it's over before the race is even halfway done.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #38
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Next entries...

Irony - April 17th at Hastings; 7f C4 Maiden for 2 year olds. Longest race so far for him to enter.

Captain Ginger - April 4th at Ruidoso Downs; 7 f C4 handicap for 3 year olds and up

Hunter Street - April 6th at Turf Paradise; 6f C5 handicap for 3 year olds and up

Taalami - April 13th at Bay Meadows; 5f C4 Maiden race for 2 year olds
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

April 4, 2010

Ruidoso Downs
7 horses in the field
7f handicap for 3 year olds and up
Captain Ginger is a co-long shot at 33:1

Captain Ginger got off to a late start and managed to get to mid pack by about the halway mark but then tired and couldn't make a run. Jockey ran him as a closer but he wouldn't settle.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

April 6, 2010

Turf Paradise
8 horses in the field
6f handicap for 3 year olds and up on the dirt in heavy rain
Hunter Street is 12:1

Ran a solid race but had trouble with traffic and ended up 6th in what was a close field. The jockey ran him as a front runner (though he was never able to actually front run).

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-13-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #41
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

April 13, 2010

Bay Meadows
11 horses in the field
5f Maiden for 2 year olds on dirt, dry and sunny
Taalami is the favorite at 7:4

He got out of the gait about 4th and settled into the middle of the pack for the first three furlongs. With two to go he began working his way through the crowd and into a lane to run. He made a break behind another horse which was also making a break (Valiant Effort). The two overtook the leader but Taalami was unable to overtake Valiant Effort and came in second; my best result yet. The jockey rode him as a closer and said that the distance and ride suited the horse well.

The result earned $2554.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

April 17, 2010

Hastings
11 horses in the field
7f Maiden for 2 year olds
Irony is 40:1

Maybe the longer distance will suit him.

He started out near the back, in 10th. After a furlong he moved up to 9th. Af about the 3rd furlong he dropped to last. I thought that was going to be the end of it but with about two furlongs left he began to make a bit of a move and ended up in 8th, about a length away from 5th.

The jockey rode him as a closer and thinks we need to get him in a longer race.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Code:
Horse Race 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Season$ Career$ Irony 5 0 0 0 0 0 $0 $0 Captain Ginger 5 0 0 0 1 2 $1395 $1395 Hunter Street 5 0 0 0 0 0 $0 $0 Taalami 5 0 1 1 0 0 $3436 $3436
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #44
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Next entries...

Irony - May 4th at Churchill Downs; 1m C4 Maiden for 2 yearolds on turf

Captain Ginger - May 14th at Hollywood Park; 6f C5 Handicap (0-70) for 3 year olds and up on dirt

Hunter Street - May 4th at Churchill Downs; 6f C7 Selling Race for 4 year olds and up on turf

Taalami - May 11th at River Downs; 7f C4 Maiden for 2 year olds on dirt

(My cash available has dropped to $33,704 - going broke quickly)

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-13-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

May 4, 2010

Churchill Downs
11 horses in the field
1m maiden on turf
Irony is 9:1

Irony started dead last. He stayed there for the first two furlongs and then moved up to 9th. With about two furnlongs left he made another move and passed several on the way to a 4th place finish.

The jockey rode him as a closer and thinks he was just starting to settle in at the end but we should stretch him out for an even longer race.

He earned $485 for the finish.

Churchill Downs
9 horses in the field
6f selling race for 4 year olds and up on turf
Hunter Street is 10:1

Hunter Street began middle of the pack and was up to third at about the 1 furlong mark. By the third furlong he began to fade quickly and dropped to the back of the pack. Another disappointing finish, even more disappointing than Irony at this point.

The jockey rode him as a front runner and felt they were never in it.

(can't get anyone to claim this one, imagine that)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #46
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

May 11, 2010

River Downs
7 horses in the field
7f Maiden for two year olds on dirt
Taalami is 7:1

Started out in 6th but began to charge after two furlongs and made it up to 4th but seemed to get pushed to the outside and lost his charge with about 2 furlongs to go. He faded back to 6th.

The jockey rode him as a closer and felt that he never settled in.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

May 14, 2010

Hollywood Park
6 horses in the field
6f handicap for 3 year olds and up on dirt
Captain Ginger is the longshot at 16:1

He started in 5th but was soon passed to drop to last by the first furlong. He attempted a late rally but even though he made ground on th eleaders, so did the horses immediately ahead of him and he ended in 6th.

The jockey rode him as a closer and thinks a longer race would have been better.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #48
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Code:
Horse Race 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Season$ Career$ Irony 6 0 0 0 1 0 $485 $485 Captain Ginger 6 0 0 0 1 2 $1395 $1395 Hunter Street 6 0 0 0 0 0 $0 $0 Taalami 6 0 1 1 0 0 $3436 $3436
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #49
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Entered races:

Irony - May 24th at Ellis Park; 1m C5 handicap (0-70) for 2 year olds on turf

Captain Ginger - June 5th at Horseman's Park; 6f C5 handicap (0-70) for 3 year olds

Hunter Street - May 29th at Calder; 6f C7 Selling race for 3 year olds and up

Taalami - May 29th at Calder; 7f C4 Maiden for 2 year olds on turf

(cash is at $22,933)
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #50
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

May 24, 2010

Ellis Park
13 horses in the field
1m C5 handicap on turf
Irony is 33:1

Put $100 on Irony (I need the money).

Started out poorly and got worse. Finished dead last.

The jockey rode him as a closer but said he was never in it; needs a longer race.