Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright Boyz, it's the Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 thread (release 4/23-4/30)

Grey Dog Software Announces TEW2020 release date! – Grey Dog Software, PC sports simulation games leader

The reason for 4/23 and 4/30 is that the release on 4/23 is a trial/public beta version that will allow gameplay over a certain amount of game time, and 4/30 is the full release)

Here's a list to changes and additions to the new version.

TEW2020 Announcement & Developer's Journal - Grey Dog Software

Some of the big new features:

You can play as a "child" company (for example, in a real world mod, you'll now be able to control NXT.) The parent company will send wrestlers to you for development and call them up when you've got them big (they will give you notice that they plan to do so, so you can properly write them out of stories).

New Attribute system affects wrestler behavior (for example, "Party animal" may mean that they're more apt to get into trouble outside of wrestling, or "Daredevil" meaning they are more willing to take crazy Bumps.)

New contract system (Written or handshake deals)

Ton of revamped/reworked stuff (seriously, check the thread)

Edit: HELLO I R STUPIDFACE, fixed title

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-28-2020 at 10:51 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have been watching this since he announced it was in development. Very excited to try it out in late April!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Man, the game I always buy, always get excited to dive deep into and the game that I never put time in. WHY??!?!!? I will need this version too I assume. Nice to see the continued development of the game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Man, the game I always buy, always get excited to dive deep into and the game that I never put time in. WHY??!?!!? I will need this version too I assume. Nice to see the continued development of the game.

I always get excited about it and think about long term scenario possibilities, but never get past a year of game time.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I'm looking forward to this one as well. I appreciated '16, but the interface held it back imo. Too much clicking and other inefficiences. I hope that is improved in this version.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Honestly, I usually end up spending tons of time in my Watcher games. I will create a game without a GM, and just follow all the leagues and the championships over time. See who rises and who drops. I enjoy that a lot.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
BigDPW
College Prospect

Not sure who is following this one but just wanted to remind those that are interested the demo is up for release 4/23.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I made the mistake of glancing at the official forums cause my kid (who is well past a decade of game time in his current universe on the last version) was having trouble logging in. Just looking for updated / refesher on the release timeline.

I was reminded in minutes of why I don't go to the official forums, and of the chilling effect on interest that sycophants in a community have on my interest in games.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's like the 1997 version of vaguebooking Jon.

Like Steam?

Old 04-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's like the 1997 version of vaguebooking Jon.

Really?

It was more of a general observation about how toxic I find their official forum to be (like OOTP, Jr), I didn't mean it to be cryptic at all.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was kind of teasing. I just didn't understand the point you were making. What about that forum or others in particular get under your skin? tbf, I really don't post anywhere else but here, so I can't relate.

Like Steam?

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's live:

Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 Trial Released! – Grey Dog Software, PC sports simulation games leader
Old 04-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was kind of teasing. I just didn't understand the point you were making. What about that forum or others in particular get under your skin? tbf, I really don't post anywhere else but here, so I can't relate.

Just a lot of sychophantic stuff, the running joke in response from the more rational posters seems to be that people are trying to get noticed so they can be alpha testers for the 2025 version

It's not that unusual, to be fair, the majority of developer forums (that I've seen) are like that.

If OOTP is a 10 for toxicity and FOFC is like a 2 (on game-related stuff), that one is probably more like a 6 or 7 (but it's a really shrill 6 or 7).
Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #14
Flasch186
Coordinator

How is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #15
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
How is it?

Promising. The mouse scrolling doesnt work and the screens look too busy. Id imagine this will be fixed during the beta period. I enjoy his games so Ill be buying.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #16
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Sounds like final release has been delayed, likely by a couple of weeks. Believe the developer mentioned receiving more issues than anticipated this quickly and wants more time to correct.

I have never really played the game before and as a new user, I find it confusing. Not at all saying the game is good or bad, just not as intuitive for me compared to other games I play. Certainly could be good stuff lurking.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
How is it?

The new UI is getting (rightfully) roasted, though that is not as bad as it may seem. Adam really packed a lot of improvements into the game and the downside to that is the screens are busy and in some cases not very intuitive. Others are criticizing the outdated, somewhat sloppy appearance, which honestly doesn't bother me, I just wish it was a little better organized. Not a game breaker as skins will help and I am sure Adam will address the biggest complaints by release.

In terms of the gameplay, outstanding as always and some of the new features/changes that I really like are.

1-Worker talks: So many different topics you can address here from gimmicks, to storylines, changing roles, even suggesting a worker retire or use PEDs. Really adds some nice backstage depth to the game and brings the workers alive to an even greater degree than before.

2-Organic pushes: You no longer assign a push to the worker. (Main event, mid card, etc) Instead you make your decisions based on fan perception and put hot workers/storylines at the top of the card and lukewarm workers lower. This gives you a chance to ride hot workers, develop or bury others in a much more realistic fashion IMO. and, just because you put someone over doesn't mean the fans will embrace it (ala Roman Reigns) - Though this seems a little too volatile at times, it is still a really awesome addition to the game.

3-Booking extended storylines over multiple shows is now possible and the whole process just seems so much smoother.

There are a bunch of subtle changes/updates that are really good as well, that seem to get lost in a lot of the UI uproar. Adam just stated that he is pushing release back to 5/14 to work on the bugs more and add some more scrolling functionality to the UI and brightness, but also made it clear it can't be completely overhauled at this time, which is understandable. My personal opinion is that the UI will be fine for most folks once they adapt to the new appearance and begin to get deeper into the game.

I would recommend downloading the public demo and playing around with it, quite a few changes in the Cornellverse to, which always keeps the game refreshing. Once fully patched and tweaked this will be another classic.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Release delayed to 5/14 looks like,
Old 04-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
The new UI is getting (rightfully) roasted, though that is not as bad as it may seem. Adam really packed a lot of improvements into the game and the downside to that is the screens are busy and in some cases not very intuitive. Others are criticizing the outdated, somewhat sloppy appearance, which honestly doesn't bother me, I just wish it was a little better organized. Not a game breaker as skins will help and I am sure Adam will address the biggest complaints by release.

In terms of the gameplay, outstanding as always and some of the new features/changes that I really like are.

1-Worker talks: So many different topics you can address here from gimmicks, to storylines, changing roles, even suggesting a worker retire or use PEDs. Really adds some nice backstage depth to the game and brings the workers alive to an even greater degree than before.

2-Organic pushes: You no longer assign a push to the worker. (Main event, mid card, etc) Instead you make your decisions based on fan perception and put hot workers/storylines at the top of the card and lukewarm workers lower. This gives you a chance to ride hot workers, develop or bury others in a much more realistic fashion IMO. and, just because you put someone over doesn't mean the fans will embrace it (ala Roman Reigns) - Though this seems a little too volatile at times, it is still a really awesome addition to the game.

3-Booking extended storylines over multiple shows is now possible and the whole process just seems so much smoother.

There are a bunch of subtle changes/updates that are really good as well, that seem to get lost in a lot of the UI uproar. Adam just stated that he is pushing release back to 5/14 to work on the bugs more and add some more scrolling functionality to the UI and brightness, but also made it clear it can't be completely overhauled at this time, which is understandable. My personal opinion is that the UI will be fine for most folks once they adapt to the new appearance and begin to get deeper into the game.

I would recommend downloading the public demo and playing around with it, quite a few changes in the Cornellverse to, which always keeps the game refreshing. Once fully patched and tweaked this will be another classic.

If you have any links to "newbie" guides to this game, would love to better understand all the mechanics and what you can really do in this game. The spirit of the game seems really interesting but

Certainly never want to criticize any developer's game since it's very hard to do and they put a lot of time into it, but personally find the UI pretty rough especially by today's standards. It's not just an appearance thing since that often is subjective but from an intuitive stand point and helping players who might not have a long history with the game, very intimidating and makes it hard to really understand it or find what your looking for. Just so many buttons and options with minimal on screen help (unless I am missing it). I start the game and I just end up staring at it wondering what the heck I should do and where should I go to do it.

Resolution is locked at 1366x768, which with today's monitors is lacking and can make it harder to read on higher resolutions. I know a person can change their resolution before playing the game and such, but shouldn't have to do that anymore.

I do applaud the developer for having a free demo so people can make up their own mind before purchasing. Maybe with the extra couple of weeks they will improve a few things to help me make my decision better. Right now, totally on the fence at least until I can figure things out.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

Keep an eye on the GreyDog forums if you're interested in digging in. I found them hugely helpful in a prior versions of the game. I remember bookmarking a few simple guides there, like, how long a match wrestlers can work based on their stamina rating.

As for starting up with no prior experience in the series, I can see how that would be pretty rough (and I haven't played for a few versions). I guess the best thing to do is just play with for a while and see if ever clicks with you.

Adam Ryland games are known for being click-fests which are very immersive once you figure out your own way to play to game. We know the game mechanics will be solid. It's just a matter of whether you can find your personal enjoyable game in there, and how much time you're willing to invest to find it.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2020 at 06:33 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Keep an eye on the GreyDog forums if you're interested in digging in. I found them hugely helpful in a prior versions of the game. I remember bookmarking a few simple guides there, like, how long a match wrestlers can work based on their stamina rating.

As for starting up with no prior experience in the series, I can see how that would be pretty rough (and I haven't played for a few versions). I guess the best thing to do is just play with for a while and see if ever clicks with you.

Adam Ryland games are known for being click-fests which are very immersive once you figure out your own way to play to game. We know the game mechanics will be solid. It's just a matter of whether you can find your personal enjoyable game in there, and how much time you're willing to invest to find it.

Knowing how to tell a story in your head and bring it all together doesn't hurt either.

Like Steam?

Old 04-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
If you have any links to "newbie" guides to this game, would love to better understand all the mechanics and what you can really do in this game. The spirit of the game seems really interesting but

Certainly never want to criticize any developer's game since it's very hard to do and they put a lot of time into it, but personally find the UI pretty rough especially by today's standards. It's not just an appearance thing since that often is subjective but from an intuitive stand point and helping players who might not have a long history with the game, very intimidating and makes it hard to really understand it or find what your looking for. Just so many buttons and options with minimal on screen help (unless I am missing it). I start the game and I just end up staring at it wondering what the heck I should do and where should I go to do it.

Resolution is locked at 1366x768, which with today's monitors is lacking and can make it harder to read on higher resolutions. I know a person can change their resolution before playing the game and such, but shouldn't have to do that anymore.

I do applaud the developer for having a free demo so people can make up their own mind before purchasing. Maybe with the extra couple of weeks they will improve a few things to help me make my decision better. Right now, totally on the fence at least until I can figure things out.

You definitely bring up some good points. I have played every version released and even I had to ask on the forums how to fire a wrestler and it took me a little bit to find some other things. I think the game has grown to the point where the old layout just doesn't work and I would like to see a few generalized buttons with related drop downs to keep things better organized.

I can definitely see how this release is completely overwhelming to a new user with all the buttons, that sometimes lack any real flow at all. I will say once you get comfortable with the outdated UI the game is a gem. I would also echo checking the newbie guides on the forum as well as the promotion based tip/background threads.

At some point Adam will have to really have to re-evaluate the coding language of the game. He has an extremely loyal and passionate base who will always purchase this game, but it is going to be hard to reach new buyers if he doesn't streamline the interface.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-25-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Thanks guys, I will have to dig in deeper. This screenshot is a perfect example that perplexes me.....(72) action buttons on a single screen along with (16) menu buttons. I don't even know what screen to go to in order to really
do anything and what needs to be done first.

I'll keep trying and hoping something clicks with me.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks guys, I will have to dig in deeper. This screenshot is a perfect example that perplexes me.....(72) action buttons on a single screen along with (16) menu buttons. I don't even know what screen to go to in order to really
do anything and what needs to be done first.

I'll keep trying and hoping something clicks with me.

One thing, just in case you don't know is you can directly click those assistant alerts to be taken to where you need to go to address those issues.

This screen is a great example of where organization can come in handy for running your chosen promotion.

Add a drop down to the financial button and list ticket prices, investments, merchandise, child companies, drug testing, etc.

Under the roster button drop downs to include, pre-booking, relationships, announcers, titles, figurehead, developmental, backstage, teams, stables, contracts etc

company info could have drop downs under it for creative, owner goals, product, coverage, etc.

To me at least it would come off as much less confusing if you drilled it down to 4-5 buttons like that and then put everything related to those main areas as a drop down.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #25
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
One thing, just in case you don't know is you can directly click those assistant alerts to be taken to where you need to go to address those issues.

This screen is a great example of where organization can come in handy for running your chosen promotion.

Add a drop down to the financial button and list ticket prices, investments, merchandise, child companies, drug testing, etc.

Under the roster button drop downs to include, pre-booking, relationships, announcers, titles, figurehead, developmental, backstage, teams, stables, contracts etc

company info could have drop downs under it for creative, owner goals, product, coverage, etc.

To me at least it would come off as much less confusing if you drilled it down to 4-5 buttons like that and then put everything related to those main areas as a drop down.

Yep agreed....little organization would help and then all that real estate could be used for better things. I'll keep lugging away
Old 04-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #26
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Found a little utility that helped with my concern around the 1366x768 resolution, can't stand when I have to manually change my desktop before and after a game.

Stumbled upon this handy little program that allows you to create a shortcut that will allow you to change resolution for a single game....when you use it, the game will run in the required resolution and then when you exit, it will auto return you to your normal setting without you having to do anything.

I tried it with this game and worked great.....can't vouch for it beyond that since no idea about it until a few minutes ago

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 04-25-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #27
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
At some point Adam will have to really have to re-evaluate the coding language of the game.

Is this code for "it's still slow as shit"? I love the concept of both TEW and WMMA & can usually manage to put 20-30 hours into an extended session before getting frustrated and giving up for a long break, but setting aside all of the other issues that constantly get mentioned, the time it takes for a modern machine to chug through the simulated parts is ridiculous and usually what ends up killing my interest.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Is this code for "it's still slow as shit"? I love the concept of both TEW and WMMA & can usually manage to put 20-30 hours into an extended session before getting frustrated and giving up for a long break, but setting aside all of the other issues that constantly get mentioned, the time it takes for a modern machine to chug through the simulated parts is ridiculous and usually what ends up killing my interest.

Don't know about TEW, but WMMA 5 is fast as fuck compared to 4. It all depends on the size of the universe of course, but on my laptop it's great. Plus, 5 was such a massive advance over 4 on its own. I really like the direction that Adam has evolved his games over the years. I'm excited to try this one.

Like Steam?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #29
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

It isn't blazing, but it is faster that 2016 was on my rig.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #30
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Based on the feedback here, I decided to go back to the official forums to search out helpful hints. Although I have casually been at the forums, I never really dived into looking at all the posts in detail. From what I am seeing there, this might end up as a "no go" for me. And this is not even from the actual game perspective, but more so how things "appear to be" handled by everyone over there. I play these kind of games for fun and I have to want to support the game developer/publisher but kind of finding that part hard for a number of reasons.

- First, it now appears only people that are registered and logged into the forums can even see the majority of the forums. Believe the reason given is because of all the spam and bots that might flood the forums. Although I could understand that being a pain, but the majority and if not all the forums I visit allow a person to see all the posts without an account/login so they must have figured out how to combat spam/bots. Although I personally don't have a major issue with having an account, just feels very odd for a company to do that if they are trying to make their games accessible and to drum up more business. Some people aren't going to sign up just to browse topics and learn about a game and to some people, may seem like they are "hiding" stuff.

- After reviewing a bunch of topics, it has been disclosed that a number of posts have either been deleted or closed by the admins. To me, that is very wrong and gives out the wrong impression, regardless of what the reason is. I believe they state it's because the posts are being repeated and in some cases "toxic" in their minds. I see a lot of positive repeated posts over there, so hard to believe them being repetitive is a strong reason to delete something, especially when majority is likely related to negative feedback. And I really hate the word "toxic" being used to describe people who simply don't think certain things about the game is bad. Sure, some people probably take it too far, but regardless I don't think any views on a game should ever be censured even on a private message board. It's a slippery rope determining what should be closed/deleted vs what is kept and just ends up being very subjective.

- When the developer announced the full release was being pushed back by a couple of weeks, not sure I agreed with some of the things say, but maybe I am just misinterpreting. For example, he said people who didn't like the UI appeared to be in the vocal minority. From what I am reading, it seems to be the exact opposite, even by people who appear to support the game from the past. It just seems to imply (whether right or wrong) that people with less than positive opinions don't matter. I do understand the development language is old and limited, but doesn't mean the UI comments are wrong.

- I purchase a ton of games, especially sports related that are "niche" and from smaller companies. But in just about every counter argument to the perceived problems, people keep defending the situation by saying they are small and niche, versus really addressing the problems themselves. I have no problem supporting developers as long as they are open to suggestions and at least recognize where some problems may exist. It's not like this developer has released many games before so that argument seems really convenient to distract people from the problems.

- Although you see this is every game community, the experienced people who have supported the game for years is very strong over there. Every negative post is met with a barrage of being called "toxic" and not cutting the developer a break. For a newbie like me, that kind of environment is one of the reasons I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game. I would be fearful in ever asking for advice or making any kind of improvement comment.....these games are for fun and just not worth fighting with people.

- I hate commenting on other developer's work because it isn't easy and respect the effort they put in. But it is very clear the technology used (i.e. VB6, Access database, etc.) and the game UI presentation is extremely outdated for a game created in 2020. This is where often the "small and "niche" argument comes into play, which to some degree I understand. But even using the older technology, the presentation and ease of use could be much better so I don't think it's 100% because of old code. Although every person has their own likes and dislikes, its hard to defend the shortcomings at the moment and when it does gets defended so strong, it makes it seem like limited hope things will improve enough.

With all that said, I still applaud the developer for following his dream and releasing games, that is awesome. I also applaud them having a free demo for people to try before playing, which with that policy in place very people should be disappointed with their purchases since they should know what to expect. Plus, seems like releasing daily patches so it the end might resolve a number of the bigger issues. But quite honestly, its the other things that usually sell me on the game and from what I am seeing so far, those things alone will keep me from buying the game and has kept me from even diving into the demo.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #31
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The "vocal minority" over there is very vocal and can be very disruptive. A few things have gotten out of hand over the years so they close things quickly before it escalates. I have purchased every TEW, WMMA since 2005 and have never been disappointed. He postponed release because he wants additional time to correct the things people dislike. I dont see it as a bad thing at all. If you visit the forums more often you will figure out the people that will provide great help. Derek B is always very helpful and if I have a question I send him a PM and he responds almost immediately.

Also, keep in mind that numerous people are in lockdown and that probably is adding to the tensions.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #32
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The "vocal minority" over there is very vocal and can be very disruptive. A few things have gotten out of hand over the years so they close things quickly before it escalates. I have purchased every TEW, WMMA since 2005 and have never been disappointed. He postponed release because he wants additional time to correct the things people dislike. I dont see it as a bad thing at all. If you visit the forums more often you will figure out the people that will provide great help. Derek B is always very helpful and if I have a question I send him a PM and he responds almost immediately.

Also, keep in mind that numerous people are in lockdown and that probably is adding to the tensions.

Don't know, we'll see in the long run. Personally, I don't think much will change from a UI perspective since doesn't seem to really acknowledge there being a problem and saying the existing technology won't allow it. But its only speculation and we'll see what they do with the extra few weeks.

Regardless of the reason, never a fan of closing/deleting posts.....sure, might stop them for a little, but will always pop up again so its like whack a mole. And I think its subjective on what "out of hand is", right now it seems the impression only negative comments are out of hand, while anything positive with the game is good to stay.

Good news is I can continue to evaluate the demo and see if anything changes enough in the long run....no big deal, lot of games out there Just thought this sounded like something kind of neat, but based on how constructed not sure I will ever be able to wrap my brain around it.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #33
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't know, we'll see in the long run. Personally, I don't think much will change from a UI perspective since doesn't seem to really acknowledge there being a problem and saying the existing technology won't allow it. But its only speculation and we'll see what they do with the extra few weeks.

Regardless of the reason, never a fan of closing/deleting posts.....sure, might stop them for a little, but will always pop up again so its like whack a mole. And I think its subjective on what "out of hand is", right now it seems the impression only negative comments are out of hand, while anything positive with the game is good to stay.

Good news is I can continue to evaluate the demo and see if anything changes enough in the long run....no big deal, lot of games out there Just thought this sounded like something kind of neat, but based on how constructed not sure I will ever be able to wrap my brain around it.

In the mod forum is a gold/blue skin. It makes the interface so much better FYI.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-26-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #34
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
In the mod forum is a gold/blue skin. It makes the interface so much better FYI.

Thanks, I will check it out. But when I speak of UI, it's not so much about the graphics and colors, it's more about how user friendly it is to find things and know what to do, especially for someone with limited/no experience. On first glance it is simply overwhelming in the presentation of information. Certainly better graphics and colors will help, but don't know if it will help with flow and the rest of it.

I'll check it out either way....thanks again.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #35
BigDPW
College Prospect

I found another skin that helps a lot with the visual issues with the UI (lines everywhere, colors, etc)

I like the one mentioned above also (Blue and Gold) but though I would also share this one.

https://tewdb.com/img1029.htm
Old 05-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #36
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Been playing the demo and the game seems solid and versatile. I'm playing a "classic balanced" product which seems to allow using all different styles of wrestlers and feels sort of like EWR, compared to trying to line up guys for a specific style.

I enjoy the interface mostly, but I've played this game for 20+ years since I was pretty young, and I can imagine how overwhelming it must seem at first glance. I also really liked FOF7's design, basically, having everything available 1 click away on the main screen. (posted above)

The inability to drag and drop the order of a card is absolutely terrible though.

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 05-12-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #37
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like the actual release is just a few hours away.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #38
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's live now:

Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 Released! – Grey Dog Software, PC sports simulation games leader
Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #39
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Decided to take the plunge, miserable UI be damned.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #40
BigDPW
College Prospect

Still playing with the demo. Trying to see if I can get used to the new interface and tools. Tons of new exciting features that I love but the UI still is the main thing holding this game back. Tons of improvements in the UI since the beta started and I appreciate that from Adam and the other members of his team.

My biggest issue with the UI currently is that roster screen not having all of the attributes visible without having to scroll the bar. Seems there is a ton of unused screen space between the name for each rating and the actual rating number, same with the popularity. Seems like you should be able to make the ratings into separate groups and split them into 2 columns by shorting the space between the rating name and number along with squishing the popularity in a similar fashion. May even be able to get a larger font for those ratings too which would be ideal.

Things are so sour over on the GDS board that I haven't bothered to post as I don't want to get blasted for still having issues with the UI. Seems so polarized over there. Maybe Arles will be kind enough to share this constructive feedback with Adam if he thinks it would be helpful. Probably will buy at some point but I am going to hold off for now and see what happens with the patches over the next month or two. Maybe enough will change that I will jump in or maybe I will lose interest and move on to other games. Overall I feel bad for Adam. I am sure he has poured his heart, soul, and time into this game. I have always appreciated his efforts. It just seems the VB6 code underlying the game is really hamstringing his efforts at this point. Hope he doesn't feel to burned by this release. I would love for him to continue to bring TEW games to the masses in the future.

Example of improvement:

This mock up is sort of the gist of what I am talking about with the roster screen that could be improved (not my work but borrowed from Slim Jim on the GDS forum). This is a big improvement on the roster screen but I think you could still "narrow each column" a bit more (particularly the popularity window) and gain a little more space.

Here is the current roster screen:
Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

I like that mock up and agree the UI is very outdated for a game packed with so many robust features and such a solid engine. I have gotten used to it now and it is not affecting my enjoyment, but he does need to upgrade at some point. As a positive I have never been so drawn into the Cornellverse.

I am playing NYCW and I catch myself thinking about angles/booking at random times and I immediately have to go into my office and update me pre-booking screen LOL. If you can just get past the UI, this game really is a gem, I can easily see myself sinking 100's of hours into this.

The new backstage stuff is just so immersive and I am booking events out a month in advance, then book my weekly shows to lead into them and it is a blast. I have played every game in this series and this is far and away the best IMO in terms of the immersion.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The mod community isn't looking great right now, it may simply be too much given the state of the database editor (things aren't even alphabetized? SRSLY?)

I have zero - and I mean zero - interest in the Cornellverse so this one is probably dead to me for a long time, as I can't see a really solid real world mod emerging for at least a year ore more, if ever.

And I don't know if I believe there's much concern about that on the part of the dev. {shrug} Oh well. My wallet will speak for me.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #43
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the mods are lagging a little bit this year because of all the interface changes Adam made in the demo/Beta period. Usually people have those couple weeks to mod the game, but they had to wait until the full release to see all the changes. I'd give it a couple weeks and you will see more options.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think the mods are lagging a little bit this year because of all the interface changes Adam made in the demo/Beta period. Usually people have those couple weeks to mod the game, but they had to wait until the full release to see all the changes. I'd give it a couple weeks and you will see more options.

I agree, that definitely set things back, but several good looking mods are in the works.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, that definitely set things back, but several good looking mods are in the works.

When top modders like Fleisch are walking away - and more are reportedly discussing it - I'll believe a solid mod release when I see one.

Having seen the interface they're working with, I cannot believe one with any depth will exist beyond working beta stage for at least close to a year.

edit to add: Time will, of course, tell if my instincts/vibes are correct or not.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-26-2020 at 06:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #46
Arles
Grey Dog Software

He just updated a couple mods today:

Grey Dog Software

There's just a bit of a delay because of the changes. Nothing wrong with giving it a week or two and seeing what's out there. There are a bunch getting close to release this weekend.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #47
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I'd buy if there were more scroll wheel support and the like. With my RSI and wrist soreness that helps a ton.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #48
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
When top modders like Fleisch are walking away - and more are reportedly discussing it - I'll believe a solid mod release when I see one.

Having seen the interface they're working with, I cannot believe one with any depth will exist beyond working beta stage for at least close to a year.

edit to add: Time will, of course, tell if my instincts/vibes are correct or not.

As long as I eventually get a good 80's mod I will be happy.

I have never been a huge Cornellverse guy either, but started a game with NYCW to pass the time and I am suddenly totally immersed. The new changes have made the Cverse so much more engaging IMO. Building Earnest Youngman into a Monster Heel and developing some young lions like Kid Fantastic and Zippy Deverell as the future as I start to phase out the old guard. Definitely more fun than I have ever had with the Cverse.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #49
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If you guys are looking for a real world mod, here's one that I've been having fun with:

Grey Dog Software

It's basically WWE, TNA and FCW as of January 2010. It's gotten a lot better over the past week and he's planning another big update over the next 4 days.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #50
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

A couple 80s mods are close....85 should be getting released as a beta within a week. Current Day is close as well. I believe their may even be one out there in limited form.

"Some" of the top mod makers are a bit dramatic IMO. They tend to disappear briefly if they dont get their way and reappear. Within their right of course.

Converting the mods from 2016 actually works fine as well. Updating the broadcasting deals a bit and add some attributes to some of the workers and it'll run just fine. Even on mod released I go through and edit them as I feel mods are overpowered stat wise and popularity wise.