Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #101
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Good show. We're finally caught up after having watched pretty much Season 3 and 4.0 beginning in January. I think the past two episodes have been the best of the series.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #102
RendeR
Coordinator

I just watched the latest episode....god I love this universe. Kara kicking ass is so awesome =)

Anyone else as thrilled as I was that they finally fucking shot zarek? How that piece of shit ever got to where he was just floors me. I wish Geata could have been saved somehow but you simply can't pardon someone for out and out treason. He had to go.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #103
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I just watched the latest episode....god I love this universe. Kara kicking ass is so awesome =)

Anyone else as thrilled as I was that they finally fucking shot zarek? How that piece of shit ever got to where he was just floors me. I wish Geata could have been saved somehow but you simply can't pardon someone for out and out treason. He had to go.

I was thrilled with both of them. Geata was a dangerous idiot if he thought giving Zarek power would be a good idea.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I was thrilled with both of them. Geata was a dangerous idiot if he thought giving Zarek power would be a good idea.

Ditto. Those were both very satisfying deaths.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #105
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

No, Gaeta was a tragedy - that's the thing. He was genuinely doing what he tought was best for the fleet. As outside observers, we're conditioned to "Adama knows best", but from his perspective, the man was giving Cylon's access to everything. Moreover, look at what has happened to Gaeta, from New Caprica to losing his leg; the bitterness sets in at some point. Gaeta's story is one of the key tragedies, IMO.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #106
RendeR
Coordinator

His story is indeed tragic, but more for the fact that he "lost faith" in his leaders. He began to doubt, and once doubt sets in even the best most noble intentioned people can be laid low.

or out an airlock or..something.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #107
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

At least Gaeta seemed to make his peace with it in the end. He seemed to be fairly calm in his "confession" with Baltar and then right before he was about to get shot.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #108
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Talking about 'Battlestar Galactica's' 'Blood on the Scales' with writer Michael Angeli | The Watcher

great read as always,
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #109
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In what I assume is Universal's goal of striking while the iron is hot, the pilot for Caprica will be release on DVD April 21. Production on season one starts this summer and will start airing in 2010.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #110
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I told you people not all the pilots were with Gaeta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Anyone have thoughts on what the damage was that Tyrol was looking at in a concerned fashion after he disabled the drive? I'm wondering if there is going to be some kind of lasting damage to the engines from that manuever.

My first thought was that it looked like damage from the claw of a Centurion, but honestly that doesn't make any sense.

Seems more likely, as I think someone else has suggested, that it could be some sort of metal fatigue.

Or is it a symbol? Does it look like the Temple of the Five?

Heh, one can speculate forever....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #111
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think the way he had to manually stop the FTL drive probably caused the damage, which I'm guessing means that aren't going to be able to jump.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it was more that Galactica is a REALLY old ship (remember it was to be a museum piece at the beginning of the miniseries) and all this action is causing it to come apart.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #113
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think it was more that Galactica is a REALLY old ship (remember it was to be a museum piece at the beginning of the miniseries) and all this action is causing it to come apart.

That was my thought as well. Metal fatigue...impending hull breach. My guess is that they are going to have to find a habitable planet ASAP and will lose the ability for inter-stellar travel while they enter a new dark age focusing on survival.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #114
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I was kind of disappointed that they introduced the Gaeta-Hoshi dynamic in the webisodes and really didn't go anywhere with it. Apart from a bewildered look from Hoshi when Gaeta did the mutiny, their relationship didn't really play any part in the entire mutiny, even up to Gaeta's execution.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #115
kcchief19
Pro Starter

EIGHT???!!!????

Most revealing 23 minutes of the show thus far. Wow.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #116
Edward64
Head Coach

Finally some answers ... unlike that "Lost" loser.

Here is the scifi forum link, I started getting lost on the explanation.

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?sh...2324536&st=580

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-13-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great episode again. I can't wait for next week.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #118
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Innnnnteresting.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #119
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hmmm ... my initial search for Daniel in Battlestar wikiness returns one hit ... Lt. Daniel "Bulldog" Novacek ... the pilot Adama sent across the armistice line to spy on the cylons and was captured after Adama shot him down when Cylons attacked him. That was one year before the attack on the colonies and Adama believes the incident led to the holocaust (although it appears now that "John" orchestrated that). We don't know where Bulldog is. Same guy? Don't know. But apparently Starbuck is not Seven.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ellen described Daniel as "artistic, sensitive." From what I recall of the episode with Novacek, the actor didn't come across as either of those things. I'm guessing it is someone we haven't met.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #121
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Awesome, fraking awesome.

We get A LOT of the back story. The 13th tribe forgot how to resurrect after leaning to procreate, but had to re-learn because they knew of the impending catastrophe (their Cylon's rebelled?). They didn't have jump capability, so they reached the other 12 colonies while they were in the middle of a war, with the Final/First 5 stopped by offering the secrets of skinjobbin'.

They made the other 8, the first of the 8, John Cavil killed them, wiped their memories and made them live like humans so when they came back they realized that love shit was crap and would join him in his petty humanist desire for vengeance.

So the F5's creation turns on them. Sounds familiar.

Very cool episode!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ellen described Daniel as "artistic, sensitive." From what I recall of the episode with Novacek, the actor didn't come across as either of those things. I'm guessing it is someone we haven't met.

It seemed to me that Daniel was destroyed prior to John's wiping the F5's memories and sending them into the general human population (starting with Tigh). Cain... er, John Cavil made Daniel the first victim of his hate.

Meaning, he ain't anyone we've seen (most likely).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-13-2009 at 10:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #123
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Quote:
It seemed to me that Daniel was destroyed prior to John's wiping the F5's memories and sending them into the general human population (starting with Tigh). Cain... er, John Cavil made Daniel the first victim of his hate.

Meaning, he ain't anyone we've seen (most likely).
From what we learned, there was the original Daniel and the copies John/Cavil destroyed. There could be just one Daniel, who could be resurrected upon death. Maybe Ellen doesn't know that the original Daniel survived and has been resurrected by John. John also has the ability to wipe memories and implant false ones. Bulldog was captured and held by the Cylons for three years, so that would certainly change make even a kind, artistic type murderous. Perhaps that was John's goal ... make Daniel suffer so he would hate humanity just like him. It fits.

It's very likely it's not him. But if Daniel is still around, I don't think it's a coincidence they share the same name.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #124
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You can be artistic and murderous . Maybe the sensitive part falls by the wayside.

But then, wouldn't Anders have remembered... oh wait, Daniel... he's that Bulldog guy.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #125
Tigercat
College Starter

My guess was echoed in that thread, somehow Kara is Daniel. Shes an artist, she was resurrected. Fits?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #126
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think Daniel is Kara's father. Remember, her mother never mentioned who it was.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #127
Edward64
Head Coach

I was enjoying some of BSG's best of moments and had a thought.
WINNER: Death of the Pegasus | Best Space Battle | Best of Battlestar Poll | Battlestar Galactica | SCIFI.COM

We knew when (or at least I did) watching original Star Wars, Star Trek movies that, although the special effects was fun, it was somewhat 'hokey'? I always knew sooner or later something bigger and better would come along.

In watching the space battle clips in the above link, it got me thinking about the future. At this point with computer animation/graphics and special effects, how can it get better? It seems as if the movie special effects are at the top of their game right now.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #128
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There seems to be a lot of fandom jumping on the Daniel-is-Kara's-father theory, which makes me dubious because that's apparently where RDM wants us to go. There's also a Baltar-is-Daniel theory which includes Ellen disguising Daniel. That fits with because the Cylons with the humans were all intended to survive the holocaust and Caprica Six saved Baltar to make sure he surived when he should have been dead.

In perusing the SciFi boards, I also find myself in the group that was disappointed when we learned Ellen was the the Final Five but this episode made it all pay off. Ellen was perfect in that role.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #129
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yah, Ellen was really awesome. It was amazing to think, 'that was Ellen' while watching it through?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #130
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This is BSG at its best again - perhaps because they know its ending, but its frakking amazing.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #131
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

This show is really getting better as it goes on. With the quality with which it started that's really saying something. "The Final Episodes" have been really top-notch.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #132
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

John Hodgman as the chipper neurosurgeon was a stroke of genius.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #133
Galaril
Pro Starter

Great episode. i guess Baltar is Daniel. He has got to be something since how the frak did he get off the Earth when the Nukes went off. I remember him having a front row seat and his house get vaporized? How many more episodes left 3?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #134
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post

For sure. If the surgery had went awry, then we should've gotten a MAC to do it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #135
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Great episode. i guess Baltar is Daniel. He has got to be something since how the frak did he get off the Earth when the Nukes went off. I remember him having a front row seat and his house get vaporized? How many more episodes left 3?

Five right? They've shown five I think...at least that's what's sitting on our DVR.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #136
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post

I actually thought his brevity was disjointed with the flow of the episode. IMO, poor choice.

After reading the scifi forum, I also agree that Anders remembering everything due to a bullet fragment in his head is somewhat too convenient and a cheap way out.

But hey ... all in all, am still greatly enjoying the season.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #137
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Five episodes left include the two-hour finale.

I like John Hodgman and I think I would have liked him in a different episode, but with so much going on he just seemed an odd distraction.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #138
Bad-example
College Starter

Well, someone programmed Starbuck to fly into the nebula and kill herself and set up a resurrection ship to bring her back (with clouded memories). So there must be something of this Daniel in her. The mind fuck scenes on New Caprica take on more importance now.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #139
Edward64
Head Coach

From the scifi thread above. Not everyone agrees but this laid out the timeline/sequence for me so far.

Quote:
I think that in order to understand this episode we need to remember the phrase – “all this has happened before and it will happen again”

What event is this phrase referring to? In my opinion it is children revolting against their creator.

I believe what prompted the mass exodus from Kobol was the first uprising of Cylons (if they were even called Cylons back then) against Humans.
So after the uprising humans and Cylons went each their own way. Humans to the 12 tribes and the Cylons to earth with the resurrection technology.
As time went by the “people” (Cylons) of earth abandon the resurrection technology once they started to procreate by themselves. Story is forgotten and eventually this “people” invent once again their own version of the centurions. And these new centurions are the ones that eventually revel against their creators and destroy earth.
So “it happened again” for a second time on earth.

So five “people” survive the holocaust because these five had re-discovered the resurrection technology. These five decide to travel back to the 12 colonies to prevent this from happening a third time but the trip back takes a long time and when they arrive to the colonies they find that it is too late because it has happened AGAIN for a third time. All 12 colonies are at war with the rebelled Cylons.

So the Five attempt to stop the war by making a deal with the Cylons. They agree to give them biological bodies and resurrection technology IF they stop the war. The Cylons agree and this marks the end of the first Cylon war and the beginning of the 40 year period in which the Cylons disappear.

A Fourth uprising of Cylons against humans happens “again” when the Cylons attack the twelve colonies for a second time. This attack is apparently led by Cavell (or John) in his quest for vengeance against humanity and the five. The five, by the time of the attack, had been murdered by Cavell introduced into human society with false memories as punishment for having created the biological Cylons in their image and with human weaknesses. The five survive the holocaust and eventually become part of the fleet.

So that’s my take on it.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #140
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just a nitpick:

It's not really the 4th uprising of Cylons against humans, because he counts the 2nd uprising to be the revolt against the Cylons of Earth.

Though if you are counting that, then John's revolt against the F5 would be the 4th.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #141
kcchief19
Pro Starter

True, but then again we don't even know that. This could have been going on for thousands of years.

As much as we learned this week, I'm amazed at how many mysteries are still out there. We don't understand the Temple of Five and it's connection between the humans and the Cylons and why and how it was tied to the Final Five. Unless the Final Five Cylons have been doing this over and over again and don't realize it or haven't learned.

Does it make sense that 13 tribes went their separate ways from Kobol, yet thousands of years later the descendants of the 13th tribe of Cylons who rebelled against the other 12 tribes travel to the colonies to warn them? Does that make sense?

I'd have to go back and re-weatch some episodes. The remains on Earth -- is it possible that the remains that were found of Cylons were of the ones who rebelled and the human remains were all gone? That would make the Final Five were human ... until they learned resurrection and put themselves into Cylon bodies.

We have also not resolved what role religion plays in this. We've been so concentrated on whether people are Cylons ... what if they are actually descendants of the lords of Kobol? Maybe Starbuck isn't a Cylon .. maybe she's a deity. Same with Baltar and others, maybe even Adama.

I don't know ... too many loose ends.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #142
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

I, for one, have never been satisfied with the lack of explanation behind how Baltar survived the nukes. As far as how he got off of Caprica (I think that's what you meant above, rather than Earth), IIRC he got a spot on the Raptor that was given up by Helo.

As far as whether or not Baltar is Daniel, I'd have to go back and watch the episodes where Baltar interacts directly with the Cylons, both as President on New Caprica and at other times. There were a number of interactions between Baltar and Cavell that would have to be re-examined.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #143
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
As far as whether or not Baltar is Daniel, I'd have to go back and watch the episodes where Baltar interacts directly with the Cylons, both as President on New Caprica and at other times. There were a number of interactions between Baltar and Cavell that would have to be re-examined.

I'm not sure that would help. If Baltar is Daniel, we can't be sure at what point in the writing process they decided it. If they wrote the scenes without knowing exactly what they wanted to do with Baltar (seems likely since most of his heavy interaction with Cavil was early in season three...they didn't even have the final five picked out yet), those scenes are likely useless from a data gathering perspective. They could go back and try and build off nuance from those scenes, but they're more likely to just tell the story as it stands now and forget the little things they think we will fill in on our own to mask late breaking story decisions.

The five can resurrect and in current form? How does Tigh look young then and age to mask his true identity to Adama all those years? If the final five age, why don't their children? The same type of limitation that prevents reproduction unless mated with one of the final five? The five must have farmed their bodies at the age they were when they rediscovered resurrection, right? They resurrect younger and then age to a point...and then download instead of dying of old age? It's a hole in the story created by the decision to make Tigh a Cylon. Perhaps they'll fill it...perhaps not. I'm sure we'll get some answers to some of the questions, but probably not all of them (what's the deal with Baltar's inner Six? Where was she when he was railing against God earlier this season? Why has Baltar been such a bit part this season after playing so massively in other seasons? Callis too expensive now that his career is taking off a bit thanks to this show?). Five episodes to find out.

Last edited by Aylmar : 02-16-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #144
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From reading a bit from Ron Moore, it appears that they really didn't have it completely decided until fairly recently (Ellen being the 5th was decided when writing this season, IIRC), so even 3rd season interactions likely wouldn't have shown anything.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #145
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
How does Tigh look young then and age to mask his true identity to Adama all those years? If the final five age, why don't their children? The same type of limitation that prevents reproduction unless mated with one of the final five? The five must have farmed their bodies at the age they were when they rediscovered resurrection, right? They resurrect younger and then age to a point...and then download instead of dying of old age? It's a hole in the story created by the decision to make Tigh a Cylon. Perhaps they'll fill it...perhaps not.

They mentioned something about how they didn't age because they were traveling at close to light speed when going across the wastes. It appears the F5 can age. Remember, John kills them and then blocks off their memories when he sends them down. Ellen does look younger when she resurrects than prior to her death (only so much makeup can do though).
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #146
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, some great stuff in the interview with BSG writers that Maureen Ryan did this week:

You asked, they answered: 'Battlestar Galactica' writers take on your 'No Exit' questions | The Watcher
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #147
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
They mentioned something about how they didn't age because they were traveling at close to light speed when going across the wastes. It appears the F5 can age. Remember, John kills them and then blocks off their memories when he sends them down. Ellen does look younger when she resurrects than prior to her death (only so much makeup can do though).

Yeah, but what I'm really talking about are the short scenes with a very young Tigh and a young Adama. That would imply that Tigh's baseline body is actually quite a bit younger than how it looks now, although when Ellen is drawing him, she is clearly drawing the modern Tigh and not what would have to be his younger model (complete with hair). I see in the article you posted (thanks, btw) that Jane tries to tie it all up nicely by saying that Saul's memories are implanted and not real. Still seems like a stretch to me. I'll have to rewatch and figure out who is actually remembering young Tigh. Saul or Adama?

John has the technology to block the memories of the individual copies he placed amongst the fleet (implying that he somehow altered their resurrection process) but didn't mine those memories to gain full understanding of his creators while he was blocking them? After all, his sadistic, petty nature coupled with his desire to know more about how to overcome the limits of his mortal body (which they have done a great job of demonstrating) should have made that a no brainer. No hurry...he's immortal, he can kill them (the FF) during the delving process if he wants...after all, they'll just resurrect. Seems almost out of character for him to not squeeze all he could out of them before releasing them into the world to "learn their lessons". I know, they drop the throw-away "tech has come a long way" line in there to make us believe that he couldn't access memories before...but I don't really buy it. So all he could do is force amnesia? He did help assemble the brains, nervous systems, and bodies of the seven remaining significant eight, right?

Last edited by Aylmar : 02-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #148
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't really enjoy that episode at all. Once again stupid Baltar. I don't get the Ellen piece, you would think they would continue Ellen from last week's episode and not have her go 'schizo' again.

Oh well, going to check out the scifi thread and see what I missed.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #149
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, just came from there ... lots of people had complaints also.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #150
RendeR
Coordinator

Must admit, I was underwhelmed this week =(