Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
TeamBills59
n00b

Some Front Office Football Questions

I have a few Front Office Football questions.

1. What is the point of the offensive style threshold in the playbook?

2. Can Quarterbacks get tired like other players which will effect their performance? I noticed they don't have an endurance rating so I wasn't sure. I'm asking in case I have a running QB who runs a ton during games and might also pass a lot during some games.

3. I noticed in the multiplayer leagues that the salary cap and the player contracts are a lot higher than real life. I read in the single player options that it increases when the game signs a new TV contract. I'm confused about how this process works.

Thanks

TeamBills59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not sure I am 100% on these, but here's a stab:

1. We think that when your OC has a certain style, your team gets a bit of a bonus running plays suited to that style

2. Doesn't seem like QB fatigue is really a thing in FOF

3. At the start of each season, you receive a few emails, and every so often (it used to be every 7 years) one note is about a new TV contract, that guides the increase in the salary cap for the seasons ahead

Hope that helps, even if not deeply illuminating.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBills59 View Post
I have a few Front Office Football questions.

1. What is the point of the offensive style threshold in the playbook?

2. Can Quarterbacks get tired like other players which will effect their performance? I noticed they don't have an endurance rating so I wasn't sure. I'm asking in case I have a running QB who runs a ton during games and might also pass a lot during some games.

3. I noticed in the multiplayer leagues that the salary cap and the player contracts are a lot higher than real life. I read in the single player options that it increases when the game signs a new TV contract. I'm confused about how this process works.

Thanks

3) My guess is that the online leagues that you are playing or seeing are in like 2050 or 2060 already, that's probably the reason
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
TeamBills59
n00b

Thank you for the help guys . Those answers made sense.

I have a few more questions I have not been able to find information on:

4.Is there any extra benefit for having a high franchise value other than the final grade Herb the referee gives you after each season?

5. Is it possible to find out the direction the wind is going in?

6. Does the weather stay the same throughout the games?

7. So the player ratings are from the coach that the league hires to scout the players? Logic would make me think that your coaching staff scouting rating would determine it but I always seem to have the same player ratings as all the other league members.

Last edited by TeamBills59 : 04-05-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Dawgfan19
High School JV

4. No, other than you can be fired for poor performance if you have that option enabled.

5. No, but you're going too far down the rabbit hole here. FOF doesn't distinguish which side of the field a team is on, so wind direction is irrelevant.

6. I would assume the weather is constant. But see point #5 as non-important factor. What would you do differently if the weather did change?

7. The red/green bar ratings are based on your staff (OC/DC/HC). These ratings vary from team to team. If you click in the red bar section of the player card, you will see the league scout ratings.

Last edited by Dawgfan19 : 04-05-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
TeamBills59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
4. No, other than you can be fired for poor performance if you have that option enabled.

5. No, but you're going too far down the rabbit hole here. FOF doesn't distinguish which side of the field a team is on, so wind direction is irrelevant.

6. I would assume the weather is constant. But see point #5 as non-important factor. What would you do differently if the weather did change?

7. The red/green bar ratings are based on your staff (OC/DC/HC). These ratings vary from team to team. If you click in the red bar section of the player card, you will see the league scout ratings.

4. Ok

5. Really? So why do they list the wind speed?

6. Starting in sun and then going to rain would make passing harder.

7. Wow, that is really surprising to me because everyone basically has the same ratings for at least non-rookies and I've seen large gaps in team coach's scouting abilities.

Last edited by TeamBills59 : 04-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Regarding #5, I said wind direction is irrelevant, not wind speed.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
TeamBills59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
Regarding #5, I said wind direction is irrelevant, not wind speed.

Why would it be irrelevant if the wind is going against you or with you?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBills59 View Post
Why would it be irrelevant if the wind is going against you or with you?
Because there's no reason to believe that this computer game's code factors which direction you are going down the field.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-08-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Because there's no reason to believe that this computer game's code factors which direction you are going down the field.

I never really thought about this but I think I'm with the o.p. on it. If we're given wind speed then it does seem reasonable to have assumed it wasn't impacting identically in both directions at all times.

One of those things where I kinda wish I hadn't thought about it, cause NOW it'll bother me lol.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the embedded message in Ben's comment above (saying this since I have delivered something very similar multiple times) is this:

If we think of this as a tiny real football game, being played by tiny little men and tiny little coaches inside your computer, we are going to be led to any number of assumptions and conclusions that will likely prove to be misleading.

We are better off remembering this is a computer game, necessarily limited by the ambitions and priorities of its single developer. But it's a computer game, that's what we are playing. We are not "playing football."

I don't know for certain how wind works. Whatever effect it has is just at too small a scale for me to worry about, in practice. But generally speaking, I think the mantra above is the best way to frame this sort of issue. If the wind direction doesn't matter, it's not because there's a problem with the real-world space-time continuum... it's just that Jim didn't get around to making it matter.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
TeamBills59
n00b

I forgot I posted this topic.....

Quote:
I don't know for certain how wind works. Whatever effect it has is just at too small a scale for me to worry about, in practice.

That's my feeling now.

Quote:
it's just that Jim didn't get around to making it matter.
I assumed it would matter because to me if I was creating a football game it would be one of the first things I would implement. I figured it was a common sense thing to put in a football simulation-type game. I guess I shouldn't assume.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

http://www.fof-cfl.com/leaguehtml/log2057182703.html

I had the feeling that the wind impacts the kicking game at least... Just a nugget to proof my theory... Doesn't feel that depending in which direction the kick goes is longer or shorter?
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
TeamBills59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
http://www.fof-cfl.com/leaguehtml/log2057182703.html

I had the feeling that the wind impacts the kicking game at least... Just a nugget to proof my theory... Doesn't feel that depending in which direction the kick goes is longer or shorter?

I wouldn't call that proof. They might have just had an off day.