Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Looking for a MMO similar to City of Heroes

CoH has announced it is shutting down at the end of November. My wife has played this almost every day for 5 years. It is one of only a couple of computer games she has ever really enjoyed.

I don't pay any attention to MMOs, so I have no idea what might be a good replacement for her. She would want something similar, more in terms of environment than gameplay probably. Does anything you are aware of have some/all of the following qualities:

-extensive customization of character appearance
-ease of finding pickup groups
-minimal obnoxious players/ a polite, easy-going community
-similar gameplay to CoH (my guess is this is least important of the 4 to her)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
CoH has announced it is shutting down at the end of November. My wife has played this almost every day for 5 years. It is one of only a couple of computer games she has ever really enjoyed.

I don't pay any attention to MMOs, so I have no idea what might be a good replacement for her. She would want something similar, more in terms of environment than gameplay probably. Does anything you are aware of have some/all of the following qualities:

-extensive customization of character appearance
-ease of finding pickup groups
-minimal obnoxious players/ a polite, easy-going community
-similar gameplay to CoH (my guess is this is least important of the 4 to her)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If your wife is looking for another superhero MMO, the two main ones with COH's departure are DC Universe Online and Champions Online. Neither (at least when I last played them, which was soon after they came out) offer as much as COH in the way of character appearance.

Of the two I would say Champions Online is the closer to the gameplay style of COH. DCUO is very console-oriented in combat and is harder to play (in my opinion) on a PC as a result. But if your wife is a fan of the DC comic books, she would likely enjoy the setting of DCUO more than Champions. Champions has its own history, but if you didnt play the role playing version of it, will be harder to get emotionally interested in.

Can't speak on the two communities/pick-up groups as I didn't play enough of either to get a real good feel them, and both have been out for a long time now since I played.

If you have Steam, you can play both through there and I would suggest she take a look at "Let's Play" videos and/or reviews of both on YouTube so she can get a feel for what they are like.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's tough, because from what I have seen, usually superhero MMOs offer the most character customization, but as Thomkal said, there are only two and though I have played Champions Online quite a bit and think it is an interesting game, it's no COH. If she is okay with switching genres into a fantasy type MMO, I would recommend Everquest 2 or Lord of the Rings Online - both are games which have fantastic, friendly communities and are more oriented towards grouping, I'd say EQ2 is a bit more in this regard, since it is an older game than has a lot of people who are group-oriented. Neither has CoH-like customization options, though EQ2 does offer a lot of different races. Both are free to play now as well.

I think though she may want to try Champions Online first though since it is the most similar to CoH, though not quite as much group oriented.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Trying to not be a troll here. Resisting making a trollish comment. Resisting...resisting... yay
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A lot of them are going freeplay.

SWTOR is going free right?
Lord of the Rings Online is free.
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Trying to not be a troll here. Resisting making a trollish comment. Resisting...resisting... yay

A lot of them are going freeplay.

SWTOR is going free right?
Lord of the Rings Online is free.
Dungeons and Dragons Online

??

I'm not sure what you're responding to here. If to me, the issue is not free/pay, it's that CoH is shutting down.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
??

I'm not sure what you're responding to here. If to me, the issue is not free/pay, it's that CoH is shutting down.

just thinking of other things to replace it.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Champions Online would probably be the closest, but it really doesn't compare all that favorably, IMO. SWTOR is pretty good for a short term experience, but teaming is almost non-existent until you reach max level.

I haven't tried it, but I've been told there is an older game, not an MMO, called Freedom Force that would be somewhat similar. For $5 it is probably worth trying out.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

OK, upon further review, SWOTR doesn't really hit any of the first 3 categories you listed. I haven't played CO in a bit, but when I did about a year ago, it hit categories 1 and 3 pretty well but missed on 2 and 4. I didn't put a whole ton of effort into joining PUGs though.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A number of CoH players are playing Secret World. It can be vastly soloed, but there are reports of team missions at points being some of its best content. It takes some time to get into since you have to get to a certain point, so don't play it for 30 minutes and write it off.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
yeah826
High School JV

Im playing DC Universe on the ps3 its a very fun game in my opinion theres is tons of costume customization from what I seen initially there is not a lot of customes offered but later you can go collected more to add to your appearance to whatever you see fit on my character I have over 600 style pieces collected so choosing a look for him is pretty intriguing. Also right now if you plan on being a pay to play member you can get the new dlc coming out for free like they offer with the other dlc's.
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

DCUO seems like a kind of game that's for young button mashers who don't use punctuation or capitalization.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
DCUO seems like a kind of game that's for young button mashers who don't use punctuation or capitalization.

Great username/post combo!

Last edited by Marmel : 09-04-2012 at 12:09 AM.