Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #19201
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Things definitely linger and take longer as you get older. My health has been pretty solid, but joint sprains and knocks take much longer to heal vs. what they did even just a few years ago. Plus, all my old injuries are now pretty good indicators of weather changes, so I guess there is one advantage. I certainly know what people mean when they say it feels like snow or rain better than I did before.

I've started to notice that as well. I don't know how physically active you are (I'm next to 0% myself), but, I wonder if that has something to do with it? I get a bruise or something kinks up on me and I'm feeling it for a while longer than normal. I've got a weather predicting reconstructed ACL in my right knee!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #19202
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I've started to notice that as well. I don't know how physically active you are (I'm next to 0% myself), but, I wonder if that has something to do with it? I get a bruise or something kinks up on me and I'm feeling it for a while longer than normal. I've got a weather predicting reconstructed ACL in my right knee!

When its nice I do one or two 3/4 to 1 mile long walks with our dogs a day. I used to be much more active, but I slipped a couple of discs in my back in April 2018 and those took 8-9 months to heal. After that I have scaled things way back due to fear of doing it again.

I hurt my back taking my 30 lbs dog off her tether. She shifted her weight slightly and I fell out. Couldn't move for at least 15 minutes for fear of pain. Wound up going to the ER that night due to going into shock from the pain.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #19203
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
When its nice I do one or two 3/4 to 1 mile long walks with our dogs a day. I used to be much more active, but I slipped a couple of discs in my back in April 2018 and those took 8-9 months to heal. After that I have scaled things way back due to fear of doing it again.

I hurt my back taking my 30 lbs dog off her tether. She shifted her weight slightly and I fell out. Couldn't move for at least 15 minutes for fear of pain. Wound up going to the ER that night due to going into shock from the pain.

3/4 to a mile doesn't seem like it's much at all and highly doable, but, when something like that happens, I can't blame you for not wanting something like that to happen again. Especially with it being your back. I do 10 minutes of house cleaning and my lower back is already noping out on me.

It's wild how something like that can mess your back up, especially when you think of all the ridiculous things you did as a kid and nothing like that happened.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #19204
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
3/4 to a mile doesn't seem like it's much at all and highly doable, but, when something like that happens, I can't blame you for not wanting something like that to happen again. Especially with it being your back. I do 10 minutes of house cleaning and my lower back is already noping out on me.

It's wild how something like that can mess your back up, especially when you think of all the ridiculous things you did as a kid and nothing like that happened.

I have always had to be careful with my back, but never to that extent. In high school playing basketball I had to stretch carefully or my hamstrings would tighten up so much it would pull my back straight and cause sciatica.

The heck of it, in 2014 I was running 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week. Started travelling more which scaled that back, and then a couple years later, laid up because of my back.

One of my co-workers is 48 and just had back surgery for an injury caused by....picking a shirt up off the floor.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #19205
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I have always had to be careful with my back, but never to that extent. In high school playing basketball I had to stretch carefully or my hamstrings would tighten up so much it would pull my back straight and cause sciatica.

The heck of it, in 2014 I was running 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week. Started travelling more which scaled that back, and then a couple years later, laid up because of my back.

One of my co-workers is 48 and just had back surgery for an injury caused by....picking a shirt up off the floor.

That sounds absolutely horrible to have to deal with. Damn. It's almost a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Hopefully your back is getting better man.

Holy crap! That hits close to home, as I am 48 as well. Looks like I need to find one of those claws on a stick you can pick up trash with.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #19206
Butter
Coordinator

I was once laid up with a strained back muscle for days due to sneezing. And that was in my early 30's.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #19207
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
That sounds absolutely horrible to have to deal with. Damn. It's almost a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Hopefully your back is getting better man.

Holy crap! That hits close to home, as I am 48 as well. Looks like I need to find one of those claws on a stick you can pick up trash with.

I haven't had any major issues, but I am so sensitive to everything with my legs and back that its hard to relax sometimes, which does not help the situation.

That said, given the issues others on the boards and neighbors have had with cancer and other illnesses, I am extremely lucky this the biggest thing I have to deal with.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #19208
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

I'm turning 48 in three weeks. I am now fearful for my immediate future.
AnalBumCover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #19209
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of getting old, I spent the weekend in the ER. Been feeling some mild chest pressure with a ton of fatigue. I got over the fatigue, but on Saturday felt like someone was just pushing on my chest. So went to the ER. Apparently the EKG and blood tests were fine, but since the EKG had one part that was off of my previous EKGs they wanted me to get a stress test done (which they told me after 9 HOURS of waiting in the waiting area and 1 hour of waiting for the doctor after getting a room). Stress test was negative. So I guess I'll be finding a cardiologist and trying to figure this crap out (still have some minor chest soreness).

But I basically slept for like 10 hours after getting home due to the lack of sleep one gets when you spend the night in the hospital. And still felt a bit sleep deprived. I'm 39... 10 years ago, I'd have felt slightly tired by mostly fine after a 4-5 hour night of sleep.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #19210
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I haven't had any major issues, but I am so sensitive to everything with my legs and back that its hard to relax sometimes, which does not help the situation.

That said, given the issues others on the boards and neighbors have had with cancer and other illnesses, I am extremely lucky this the biggest thing I have to deal with.

I'm the same way with my knees. Agree with you a 100000%. I'll take these issues I'm having over having to deal with cancer or some other life threatening ailment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter
I was once laid up with a strained back muscle for days due to sneezing. And that was in my early 30's.

Oh man. I think our bodies sometimes just sit back and mock us at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
I'm turning 48 in three weeks. I am now fearful for my immediate future.

Welcome to the team!! It's not all bad believe it or not. I can still play video games. It is weird though...in my mind I don't 'feel' much different than I did in high school, other than, I just now have more experience. My body though, sometimes feels like I went to high school with Teddy Roosevelt.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #19211
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Speaking of getting old, I spent the weekend in the ER. Been feeling some mild chest pressure with a ton of fatigue. I got over the fatigue, but on Saturday felt like someone was just pushing on my chest. So went to the ER. Apparently the EKG and blood tests were fine, but since the EKG had one part that was off of my previous EKGs they wanted me to get a stress test done (which they told me after 9 HOURS of waiting in the waiting area and 1 hour of waiting for the doctor after getting a room). Stress test was negative. So I guess I'll be finding a cardiologist and trying to figure this crap out (still have some minor chest soreness).

But I basically slept for like 10 hours after getting home due to the lack of sleep one gets when you spend the night in the hospital. And still felt a bit sleep deprived. I'm 39... 10 years ago, I'd have felt slightly tired by mostly fine after a 4-5 hour night of sleep.

Oh man, stay on top of that. Hopefully you just been over extending yourself lately and just need to slow it down for a bit.

I remember the days when I could go out drinking, get up early and go to work the next day without even a hangover and not drunk. Now, I don't even have to drink to sometimes wake up with a hangover.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #19212
Kodos
Resident Alien

In the last year or two, I've suddenly become a magnet for nagging injuries. First, my Achille's tendon started tightening up after runs or sitting for a while. It got bad enough that I stopped running at the end of last March. Now my left shoulder and my right elbow both have issues going on. I turn 50 this summer. A couple of years ago, I didn't really have any lasting issues. I've been doing PT for the Achille's issue for a number of months. Hoping I can get back to running soon. Should probably get serious about taking some extra pounds off too.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-07-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #19213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh man, stay on top of that. Hopefully you just been over extending yourself lately and just need to slow it down for a bit.

Yeah, trying to schedule a cardiology appointment, but trying to get something with Emory (here in Atlanta) seemingly takes forever. Also was mentioned perhaps it was related to my GERD, which I'll be annoyed if that's what caused it.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #19214
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, trying to schedule a cardiology appointment, but trying to get something with Emory (here in Atlanta) seemingly takes forever. Also was mentioned perhaps it was related to my GERD, which I'll be annoyed if that's what caused it.

Hopefully you can get in soon and find out what the issue (if any) is. It's as if the wait is sometimes worse than the symptoms. Interesting they think it might possibly be related to GERD. I am no doctor, nor do I play one on TV, just seems like it would be a different feeling maybe.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #19215
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In the last year or two, I've suddenly become a magnet for nagging injuries. First, my Achille's tendon started tightening up after runs or sitting for a while. It got bad enough that I stopped running at the end of last March. Now my left shoulder and my right elbow both have issues going on. I turn 50 this summer. A couple of years ago, I didn't really have any lasting issues. I've been doing PT for the Achille's issue for a number of months. Hoping I can get back to running soon. Should probably get serious about taking some extra pounds off too.

It's crazy how little changes to our routine seems to effect us more as we get older. I wish I had realized that I can not eat the same amount of food after I blew out my ACL as I did before I hurt it. Could have saved me several pounds around the ol gut area. I probably wouldn't mind it so much if it dropped off as fast as it was added on. Taking off the pounds will probably help out with the Achilles hopefully.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #19216
Edward64
Head Coach

Wishing the best to everyone here.

Speaking of getting old ... anyone here have to deal with tinnitus? From what I've read there really isn't any cures for this.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #19217
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have a bit of it in my right ear. Only really bothers me at night.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #19218
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm most distressed by the slower healing with age (I'm 43). Sprained ankles that used to take a week to heal now linger for months . . . .

I am very fortunate to be mostly healthy, but I am starting to see why all of the "old guys" (i.e. my age) at the YMCA have so many knee and elbow braces.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #19219
sabotai
General Manager

I don't know if the US heath care system is good or bad, but I do know that every time I've had to deal with it, the movie Falling Down starts playing in my head.

And since we're on the topic of old people stuff, I get to have my first colonoscopy at the end of the month (because of pain in my abdomen).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #19220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wishing the best to everyone here.

Speaking of getting old ... anyone here have to deal with tinnitus? From what I've read there really isn't any cures for this.

I have it pretty bad. I played drums growing up until I was in my 20s. Used to go to tons of rock shows, etc...I have a constant loud ringing in my ears. TBH I hardly notice it anymore. I also have enough hearing loss that I should use a hearing aid but don't. Drives my wife nuts at times. You are correct there is no cure. I have been to several doctors. Certain food can make it worse, sodium intake, etc...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #19221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I'm 44 and was like that. I would get cramps in my hamstrings, it was terrible, would totally lock up for 5-10 minutes and would be agony. I had also always had lower back issues, needing injections at one point. About 18 months ago I hired a personal trainer. I feel amazing. He focuses on strengthening my core and everything else falls in line. I rarely have any back pain. I also do cardio, usually the elliptical, 3-4X a week. A group of 4 of us go together, makes it so much easier. My body fat went from 24% to 15% and there has been noticeable bulk. It was hard at first, there were days I couldn't lift my arms high enough to take my shirt off, but now it is worth it. I went from a flabby 6-2 237 to a somewhat muscular 6-2 215 and I feel great.

Obviously not everyone has the resources or time for a trainer, but it is a great investment.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:50 AM   #19222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel like with 9 Florida teams in the major sports leagues, maybe one of them should have a mascot featuring some sort of a citrus theme?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #19223
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I feel like with 9 Florida teams in the major sports leagues, maybe one of them should have a mascot featuring some sort of a citrus theme?

Tonight, the Miami Lemons face their arch rivals, the Atlanta Juicers (or graters, either works).
Old 01-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #19224
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #19225
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh Harry, you seem like a decent bloke. Let me just say I think you are making a mistake and listening a little too much to your wife. Yes, sorry to say I think she is the root cause of all/most the drama in your life recently.

I don't claim to know all the intricacies of royalty (but did watch all 3 seasons of The Crown) but knowing the close relationship you have/had with you big bro, I have to believe there is a compromise there somewhere in finding a way to get your son (and wife) some privacy and normalcy.

Find a way. Any royal that really put themselves in real danger in Afghanistan is a royal the Brits want. Good luck to you and Archie.

P.S. Oh, if you think you've had a hard life, suck it up. 99.99% of the world is worse off than you.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-08-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #19226
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #19227
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anyone else have this problem?

When I click on the little button to go to the first new post in the thread, it takes me to a post that was my first post a few days ago. It seems to happen in the bigger threads, Trump, NFL, etc.

This happens for a few days where it sends me to the same post then one day it sends me to the right post but then that post is the victim for a few days.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #19228
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My 10-year-old daughter’s class is watching a video on puberty next week. The school sent a handout home about it a couple of days ago for parent permission. The handout included a link for parents to watch the video. My wife watched it, and when 10 found out that her mom had watched it, she asked to see it as well, so they watched it together last night and had what both described to me as an excellent, casual. and involved discussion about sex/puberty/etc.

So this evening, 10 made a comment about something unrelated that was intentionally silly for comedic effect. (She’s considered quite the jokester, not just by her peers, but also by adult neighbors and friends.) I chuckled at her and commented “good gracious, where in the world did you come from, crazy child.” She shot back with zero hesitation, and all the sass you can imagine, “well apparently from what we talked about last night, I’m here because you and Mom couldn’t keep your pants on.”

I’m sure at some point I’ll stop giggling about this, but it may take a few weeks.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #19229
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
My 10-year-old daughter’s class is watching a video on puberty next week. The school sent a handout home about it a couple of days ago for parent permission. The handout included a link for parents to watch the video. My wife watched it, and when 10 found out that her mom had watched it, she asked to see it as well, so they watched it together last night and had what both described to me as an excellent, casual. and involved discussion about sex/puberty/etc.

So this evening, 10 made a comment about something unrelated that was intentionally silly for comedic effect. (She’s considered quite the jokester, not just by her peers, but also by adult neighbors and friends.) I chuckled at her and commented “good gracious, where in the world did you come from, crazy child.” She shot back with zero hesitation, and all the sass you can imagine, “well apparently from what we talked about last night, I’m here because you and Mom couldn’t keep your pants on.”

I’m sure at some point I’ll stop giggling about this, but it may take a few weeks.

HA!

My son will be 10 in April. Amazing how quick they can be. Tonight at dinner my son spilled his milk doing something stupid. I said to him "why would you do that?" and without missing a beat he says "because I'm 9 Dad"
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #19230
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
HA!

My son will be 10 in April. Amazing how quick they can be. Tonight at dinner my son spilled his milk doing something stupid. I said to him "why would you do that?" and without missing a beat he says "because I'm 9 Dad"
Oh yeah, she tries to use “I am 10” to her advantage in both directions. (“Daddy, I’m 10 years old, I’m old enough to see a PG movie!” And then 5 minutes later, “Sheesh, I’m only 10. I’m going to make mistakes. Give me a break!”

It’s gonna be a fun and interesting ride with this kid. Recently she mentioned to me, “hey guess what? Milestone today. {boy’s name} asked {girl’s name} to go out. First time that has happened in my grade.”

Me: “Oh, are they going to skate night tonight together.”

Her: “Nah. We’re just in fifth grade. It’s an empty gesture.”

I was HOWLING!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #19231
spleen1015
Coordinator

Its mildly annoying when you are reading an article and the writer puts links to other articles at the end to give you some other good stuff to read and they don't tell you that the article is on a pay site.

It is even more frustrating when you first get to the site and it tells you that you need to disable your ad blocker, only to then tell you it is a pay site once the ad blocker has been disabled. Just tell me from the get go.

I used to get annoyed by pay news sites, frustrated when the local paper goes to paid content on their website. I understand now that it is necessary. I just don't like wasting the 20 seconds clicking on the link to find out the site is a pay site.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #19232
spleen1015
Coordinator

MLB history is defined by the Eras. I wonder what the future Eras are going to be.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #19233
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
MLB history is defined by the Eras. I wonder what the future Eras are going to be.

My guess is the technological era
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #19234
Kodos
Resident Alien

Roid Rage Era?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #19235
sabotai
General Manager

Blernsball Ere?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #19236
spleen1015
Coordinator

Watching season 1 of Homeland. Quite a few scenes where Brody or his wife are doing something with groceries.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #19237
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Watching season 1 of Homeland. Quite a few scenes where Brody or his wife are doing something with groceries.

Ahhhh Morena......

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #19238
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Blernsball Ere?

I approve of this, despite the typo.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-14-2020 at 08:01 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #19239
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I swear my house cleaners move my shit around just to fuck with me.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #19240
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I swear my house cleaners move my shit around just to fuck with me.

Every time our cleaners come, it is a game of "where'd my stuff go?"
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #19241
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Every time our cleaners come, it is a game of "where'd my stuff go?"

I had a roommate that I had this problem with.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #19242
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

That’s nothing, my house cleaner likes to go through my closet and throw away perfectly good things just because I haven’t worn them in the last five years. Also, my wife hates being referred to as the house cleaner.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #19243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
That’s nothing, my house cleaner likes to go through my closet and throw away perfectly good things just because I haven’t worn them in the last five years. Also, my wife hates being referred to as the house cleaner.

Ha!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #19244
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dammit cartman, you didn't tell me Buck Henry died.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #19245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vandy 0-25 on 3s. They should have to change their mascot to a mason.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #19246
RainMaker
General Manager

Aspen Dental is a massive scam. Almost conned my Dad into paying way too much for an implant. Tossed on a ton of extra stuff in the quote and buried it. Luckily I caught it before he went through.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #19247
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Aspen Dental is a massive scam. Almost conned my Dad into paying way too much for an implant. Tossed on a ton of extra stuff in the quote and buried it. Luckily I caught it before he went through.

The dentist that my wife & teenage daughter used to go to was a scam. They had been going there for years and was happy. Then one day my wife told me the dentist said my daughter seemed to have too many cavities (prior 6 month visit to most recent) and recommended treatment that included veneers for close to $9K.

Obviously I choked at this and we got a second opinion from my dentist. He checked my daughter's cavities and said it wasn't that bad for such an significant treatment plan. She has been going to him for the past year and all looks well, my wife has also found a different dentist.

All trust was lost with the original dentist. Our best guess is they get a massive kick-back on the veneers. I told my wife to tell the dentist why she and my daughter are leaving but she didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

So my recommendation is always go for a second opinion if there is something significant going on.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-20-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #19248
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have come to the conclusion most dentists are a scam
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #19249
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion most dentists are a scam

I have come to the conclusion that you are an anti-dentite!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #19250
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I have come to the conclusion that you are an anti-dentite!

Just a schtickle